Cadillac: CTS News **2018 V Revealed (page 46)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by agranado
I am very excited about this car... fuck im 21 and im excited about a cadillac for shits sake... they've gotta be doing SOMETHING right
that's so funny that you say that. My wife is 27 and everytime I tell her I want to buy a Cadillac as my next car (i love the STS as well) she thinks I'm nuts and that it is an old mans car.

Even my buddies think I am crazy that i would buy a Caddy at this age but I'll tell ya what...this CTS looks awesome. AND the interior is waaaay nice. I don't like new BMW interiors at all. I can't wait to try one of these things out!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I can't wait to touch the interior at the NY Auto show...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loseit
Even my buddies think I am crazy that i would buy a Caddy at this age
Tell you friends, news flash.....Cadillac is not an old farts Florida car anymore.

Have they actually seen the lineup in the last 3 years or so?

I love the mentality of people to this day that think you need to be 50+ to want a Cadillac.....very dumb.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
The Geneva show is always the first week of March.
SOrry I meant to write Frankfurt Auto Show.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Every time some good looking sedan comes out people think that the sales it will garner will come out of BMWs share of the market, yet the 3 series keeps selling its 10K/mo. Folks, the only way BMW will stop selling 10K/mo if they screw up the 3 series - not because of any other car on the market. Look at the IS -sales went from less than 1K/mo to over 4K. Did that affect 3 series - nope. A4 sales went up - did 3 series sales dip - nope. G35 sales will probably be up several K over the next few months due to the intro of the 07 - will 3 series sales go down - nope. Yes, the 3 series is the bench mark and lots of comparos may have the CTS or other car win some car rag contest, but until BMW screws it up, other makers cars will have very little affect on 3 series sales.
No I disagree. If someone in the competition makes a better car than the 3 series and prices it competitively, it might take a while but sales will start shifting. The one that wins is the one that makes their product the most desirable.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Safety Car

Every time some good looking sedan comes out people think that the sales it will garner will come out of BMWs share of the market, yet the 3 series keeps selling its 10K/mo. Folks, the only way BMW will stop selling 10K/mo if they screw up the 3 series - not because of any other car on the market. Look at the IS -sales went from less than 1K/mo to over 4K. Did that affect 3 series - nope. A4 sales went up - did 3 series sales dip - nope. G35 sales will probably be up several K over the next few months due to the intro of the 07 - will 3 series sales go down - nope. Yes, the 3 series is the bench mark and lots of comparos may have the CTS or other car win some car rag contest, but until BMW screws it up, other makers cars will have very little affect on 3 series sales.
Now take into account that the BMW 3-series has (20)Twenty different models that compete against the rest of the markets 2 or 3 cars per brand. Whether BMW sells more with their 20 cars or not, other manufacturers selling large amounts with only 2 or 3 models kicks BMW in the nuts.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Beltfed

I love the mentality of people to this day that think you need to be 50+ to want a Cadillac.....very dumb.
You do see a ton of old people driving Cadillacs. The stereotype has credibility to it. You also see a lot of older people driving Mercedes and Lexus vehicles. Most people my age cannot afford a luxury car.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Now take into account that the BMW 3-series has (20)Twenty different models that compete against the rest of the markets 2 or 3 cars per brand. Whether BMW sells more with their 20 cars or not, other manufacturers selling large amounts with only 2 or 3 models kicks BMW in the nuts.
How is any maker kicking BMW in the nuts when they keep selling 10K/mo?

If someone in the competition makes a better car than the 3 series and prices it competitively, it might take a while but sales will start shifting.
Isn't the G35 that car? The 3 series didn't lose 3K/mo sales when the G35 came on the market, nor will it lose many now that the G35 has been redone.

The next gen CTS will probably be a great car, and I might even look at it, but it will have virtually no effect on 3 series sales.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

way to go caddy! DEFINITELY will be on the future shopping list. cadillac also needs to bring over that chinese STS interior over to the US, PRONTO!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Maximized
You do see a ton of old people driving Cadillacs. The stereotype has credibility to it. You also see a lot of older people driving Mercedes and Lexus vehicles. Most people my age cannot afford a luxury car.
That is not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the typical stereotype that one automatically thinks old fart when they think Cadillac. People don't automatically think old fart when they think BMW, Benz. Lexus.

That stereotype is by people who really are not car enthusiasts and are just surface level observers of what they believe to be the case.

I didn't say Caddy's are marketed towards 25yr olds, but the person I responded to is 33 and assume his friends are in the same relative age bracket.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

That is not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the typical stereotype that one automatically thinks old fart when they think Cadillac. People don't automatically think old fart when they think BMW, Benz. Lexus.

That stereotype is by people who really are not car enthusiasts and are just surface level observers of what they believe to be the case.
I found some demographics:

Escalade–57% male and 43% female with an overall average age of 51
CTS–59% male and 41% female with an overall average age of 57
SRX– 60% male and 40% female with an overall average age of 59

In another article, it stated the average age of a DTS buyer is 68.

The stereotype is very credible
Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found some demographics:

Escalade–57% male and 43% female with an overall average age of 51
CTS–59% male and 41% female with an overall average age of 57
SRX– 60% male and 40% female with an overall average age of 59

In another article, it stated the average age of a DTS buyer is 68.

The stereotype is very credible
So what do the demographics look like for an S-class or a 7 series?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
So what do the demographics look like for an S-class or a 7 series?
Early 50's per this:
http://www.carpages.co.uk/bmw/bmw_ne...s_11_02_02.asp
Old 01-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. on a side note, I remember reading somewhere that the median age of a Harley buyer was 41. The flies in the face of what I've seen. Considering that you hardly ever see H-D owner in his 30's or 20's I would have guessed the median age to be much higher.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Interesting. on a side note, I remember reading somewhere that the median age of a Harley buyer was 41. The flies in the face of what I've seen. Considering that you hardly ever see H-D owner in his 30's or 20's I would have guessed the median age to be much higher.
I figured the 7 would be able around that age. My dad bought his first seven series when he was 51 years old

Most Harley owners I see are older. The younger guys drive crotch rockets because they are fast and cheap.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Race Director

Most Harley owners I see are older. The younger guys drive crotch rockets because they are fast and cheap.

And then some us are more sensible and ride something with the best of both worlds.

<-------------------------------
Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Back to the topic. Here's a few more pics, and the first profile pic I've found of the car. Bother angles look great in these pics, IMO, and the silver color here looks way better than that ugly ass berry red that we've seen in previous pics.

I think I'm in love....
Old 01-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

This car is one of the most beautiful 4-cars out there IMO. For my next car, I was thinking of something more practical than my Z, and if this may be the car I get. It is beautiful inside and out, and the DI engine sounds fantastic (great output + regular octane gas).

Home run GM!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw the CTS in person today at NAIAS and I must say it looks even better in person than it does in the photos. The were locked up, but I'm looking forward to sitting in one someday.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Europeans will get diesel CTS - - By WIM OUDE WEERNINK | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

Cadillac will sell a diesel version of its new CTS sedan in Europe.

"We expect at least 50 percent of CTS sales to be diesels," said Dick Braakhekke, a Cadillac Europe spokesman.

Without being more specific, he said the diesel would come during the early part of the model's life cycle.

The second-generation CTS debuted this month at the Detroit auto show. European sales of the gasoline-powered CTS start in October.

Company sources say Italian engine manufacturer VM Motori will supply the CTS a 3.0-liter V6 diesel with about 245 hp.

The General Motors luxury brand says it sold 464 CTS sedans in Europe last year.

Cadillac's only current model that offers a diesel is the BLS lower-premium sedan, sold only in Europe. GM Powertrain makes the BLS' 1.9-liter diesel.

Cadillac needs to offer diesels to compete with German premium brands. About 70 percent of Audi's unit sales in Europe are diesels. For BMW the figure is 67 percent and for Mercedes-Benz 58 percent.

BM Motori supplies four-clyinder, 1.5- and 2.0-liter diesel engines for Chevrolet Euorpe, GM's entry brand. The engines are built by a VM Motori - GM Daewoo joint venture in Korea.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The General Motors luxury brand says it sold 464 CTS sedans in Europe last year.
LOL. This did not even cover for the phone bill.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

GM to rule on CTS family for Cadillac within three months - - By DAVE GUILFORD | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

GENEVA -- Over the next three months or so, General Motors executives will decide whether to produce a new Cadillac CTS wagon and coupe, the next step in Cadillac's rebirth as a global brand.

Hoping to build on the successful debut of the CTS in the United States, General Motors could create a CTS family of models reminiscent of the BMW 3 series. If Cadillac expands its presence in Europe, it could afford to build niche vehicles like a wagon that otherwise would face a marginal future as U.S.-only cars.

GM already has produced clay models of these new Cadillacs. In the near future, it will decide whether to OK development, say GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz and Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor.

Starting in the late 1990s, GM jump-started Cadillac's fortunes with sharp-edged design, luxury SUVs and rear-wheel-drive cars. Now Taylor and Lutz want to build more momentum.

During interviews at the Geneva auto show, both executives explained their plans to make Cadillac competitive with Lexus, BMW and Mercedes-Benz. They also voiced varying opinions about some Cadillac issues, offering a revealing glimpse of GM's internal give-and-take.

As Cadillac enters the second phase of its revival, they must decide:

Whether to approve a long-delayed ultra-luxury car costing more than $150,000.

Whether Cadillac needs an entry-level model priced under $30,000. Taylor is reluctant; he prefers to keep the CTS as Cadillac's lowest-priced car. Lutz says he is open to an entry-level Cadillac, but it won't be the European BLS sedan.

Whether to keep or discontinue the front-wheel-drive DTS sedan, Cadillac's top-selling nameplate. Taylor says he's undecided; Lutz prefers to phase it out and keep the rwd STS.

Front-wheel drive does not match the brand image of global luxury Cadillac is seeking. But the DTS was Cadillac's top seller last year, with U.S. sales of 58,224. The DTS accounted for 25.6 percent - about one-quarter of the brand's U.S. volume.

Taylor said GM could put the DTS on the Zeta rwd platform, which will be used for the coming Pontiac G8; merge it with the STS line; or keep it in its current form.

But in a separate interview, Lutz flatly stated that the DTS replacement should be rwd.

Selling more vehicles outside Cadillac's traditional U.S. stronghold would make it easier to build a business case for niche vehicles, Taylor said. Higher sales volumes would allow GM to achieve economies of scale currently enjoyed by key competitors BMW and Mercedes.

"If all you have is your U.S. volume, it's pretty hard to put together a capital case," Taylor said.

The CTS wagon in particular would be stronger in Europe than the United States, and would aid GM's struggle to build the brand there, he said. To be successful, it must achieve annual global sales of 20,000 units, Taylor said. For comparison, GM sold 54,846 CTS units in the United States last year.

Small Caddy?

Lutz said GM will not bring the European BLS, a front-drive car that shares parts with the Saab 9-3, to the United States. As for a small rwd vehicle, "there's certainly an opening, whether we choose to fill it or not," Lutz said.

Taylor takes the opposite view. He says GM doesn't need a smaller car slotted below the CTS. The smaller car would compete with cars such as the Audi A3 and the coming BMW 1 series and would sell in the upper $20,000s.

Says Taylor: "We're not going there. We're a $30,000-to-$40,000 player, not a $20,000-to-$30,000 player."

At the upper end of the lineup, the two executives say they are considering an ultra-luxury car to enhance Cadillac's brand prestige. Both mentioned the Sixteen and Cien concepts as possible models. The Sixteen is a large sedan with a V-16 engine and the Cien a futuristic V-12 sports car.

But Lutz and Taylor say the ultra-luxury program keeps getting delayed. Said Lutz: "We always wind up pushing it out one more year because we have other, more pressing priorities."
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

No CTS coupe decided yet?
C'mon...
i was waiting to see this thing.
It is getting time to buy something soon and I was really hoping a nice CTS-V coupe would be coming up soon.
i would be willing to wait another year!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Race Director

I want to see the new CTS-V
Old 03-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I want to see the new CTS-V

Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

They need to push the ultra-luxury another year and get the European market built up. And FFS they better not build a car cheaper than the CTS unless they want to be another Acura.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I saw the CTS in person today at NAIAS and I must say it looks even better in person than it does in the photos. The were locked up, but I'm looking forward to sitting in one someday.

I saw it at the Detriot Auto Show and it looks even better in person. The interior looks great as well and unfortunatley it was locked up there as well. I was surprised they only had 1 on display. I thought the Detriot Show would've been a great place to show case it for it's launch.

(Camera phone pic taken by my wife - I had my eyes closed for the pic but it was our 3rd try at getting a picture without someone walking in front of me and my legs were hurting from kneeling there )
Old 03-12-2007, 04:06 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
love the new CTS. I havent been following the new CTS but are they going to offer a V8 for the non-V?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm not even kidding, if GM decides to do a CTS coupe based on the new design.....it has the potential to be one of the nicest looking 2dr. luxury coupes ever.

I have faith that GM would pull it off correctly.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

I'm not even kidding, if GM decides to do a CTS coupe based on the new design.....it has the potential to be one of the nicest looking 2dr. luxury coupes ever.

i have all my hopes and dreams pinned on this.

It would be great to have a world class american coupe.
I am hopeful that they decide to do this.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The new CTS will most likely be my next car. I saw it at the auto show and it was by far the nicest vehicle GM has made to date. The lines are unbelievable and the interior looked top notch
Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

I agree. I think the coupe will be awesome. Actually, I think that the wagon (if made) will be hot too.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Race Director

The reason wagons have been shunned by people is that they were drinking too much of the SUV koolaid. Now that people have been brought back to reality by high gas prices, they'll realize that wagons function almost the same as their SUV but at a lower cost and better millage. Makers don't want to offer them cause there's no money to be made. Ford could replace all the volume it lost on the Explorer (all SUV for that matter) and F-150 with a Taurus wagon and still make no money cause they don't make money on their sedans. Instead they'll call the old Freestyle the Taurus X and sell it as a wagon.

Every time I see a 325 wagon I say to my self - what a smart person not to get an X3 or X5. Caddy wouldn't want to offer a CTS wagon here, not because it wouldn't sell, but because it would kill the much higher profit margin SRX.

Last edited by biker; 03-13-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Racer

Make mine a Hardtop please...
Old 04-05-2007, 06:42 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

the raging sport sedan wars are quickly coming over the horizon. acura? what have you to say for yourself?

that CTS owns.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by sol_da_man
the raging sport sedan wars are quickly coming over the horizon. acura? what have you to say for yourself?

that CTS owns.

I am hoping and expecting that we will all be very proud of our Marque when they unveal their newest iteration of the TL. Meanwhile, this CTS along with the newest offerings from the competitors has indeed changed the game. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Saw this at the NY auto show yesterday...it looks a LOT better in person. Too bad it was off limits to being touched and sat in.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Lutz: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V "flat-out incredible"

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-cts-v-future.html

The next-generation Cadillac CTS-V will have "a power level only described as unexpectedly high,” GM vice chairman Bob Lutz told Car and Driver. He described the vehicle as "flat-out incredible. I’ve never driven anything like that."

Based on the 2008 Cadillac CTS sedan, the new CTS-V os expected to arrive later this year as a 2009 model.

Specific details of the CTS-V's engine remain a mystery. Some sources say power will come from a 4.6-liter naturally aspirated V8, while others insist a supercharged V8 is in store for the hot CTS. Some sources even claim this car will share the "Blue Devil" Corvette's supercharged V8.

C&D says the 505 hp, 7.0-liter LS7 V8 that currently powers the Corvette is a distinct possibility, considering the previous-generation CTS-V is powered by the 400 hp 6.0-liter Corvette LS2 powerplant.

Recent spy photos have shown the 2009 CTS-V undergoing extensive testing at the Nürburgring track in Germany and elsewhere. Prototypes feature a new grille design and a massive lower air-intake — both sporting a sporty mesh finish in the familiar V-spec tradition.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Ehh, Lutzs perspective has been blown out of proportion for quite some time now. The fact that he has never driven a car like the next gen CTSV means there is a serious problem right off the bat as far as the cars performance because it isn't the best performing car evar without even thinking about it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ Lutz is all hype now. Don't listen to his talk of the CTS-V ... he's almost as bad as Donald Trump and his shameless self-promotion.

Quick Reply: Cadillac: CTS News **2018 V Revealed (page 46)**