Cadillac: CTS News **2018 V Revealed (page 46)**

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Please tell me thats the production model and not a concept.
It certainly looks production. If it is, it's yet another huge leap forward. Besides maybe the Escalade's beautiful grill detail, the front fascia shown here is the best interpretation of Caddy's Art & Science theme yet.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
Interior looks vastly improved, though the pixelated pics don't show much detail. It looks like it has an Audi-ish flair to it, with a good mic of metal work here and there, wood and plastic. Now I do hope the quality of materials match Audi as well.

Front looks nice too. This might be the best interpretation of Caddy's Art & Science theme.
I just realized we said the same thing (about Art & Science), lol. I agree with you on the interior. It's light years ahead of what's in the CTS now. It's funny. In interview with Lutz about the CTS/STS's interior, he's commented thant both have very pricey interiors, but they don't "look it." I've always thought that was funny. What's the point of a pricey interior if you can't tell by seeing or touching it? If the interior shown is production, or very near production, I think the Caddy will defintiely be able to continue with the momentum they orginally garnered with the first CTS.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The front end looks hot - that interior (even with the grainy pics from 60 minutes) looks vastly better and very sporty.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw the show and almost wrote about it right after the show but way too busy lately as you can tell from my participation here (past month has been horrible at work).

However, seeing this vehicle even with a sheet over it, it looked like a two door car and a very low sports car. So this may be a design study concept that will continue Cadillac's future design with future models. It did not look like this car is a four door car. Certainly I can be totally wrong, because Caddy may have additional camo under the sheet that changes the general flow of the vehicle.

Finally, the interior as you see above was totally exposed. And from the first glance, it looks Mercedes-like to me, at least the center dash does. However, the point is that this looks great design-wise, I hope it's also great when we'll all be able to touch and feel it.

Overall, GM, once again shows signs of a comeback, however, they are once again late by a couple of years. This thing hould have been on the streets already (whatever it is). Cadillac should be back to being the standard of the world, once again.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
So this may be a design study concept that will continue Cadillac's future design with future models. It did not look like this car is a four door car.
I wondered the same the thing cause when I re-examined the pic, I noticed in this pic that the A pillar is cut off. When I first looked at it, I thought we were peering into the interior from the window. And in fact looking at the sizes of the two men in comparison to the interior, with the smaller seats and steering wheel, this may well be just a scale model too. I didn't watch it so i don't know if we're even looking at the same cars, but I think underneath the cover is the real full scale CTS and the interior may just be a concept. I mean why else tease with the exterior but expose the whole interior, right?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

The car is too tall and too long to be a coupe. Maybe it's a 4 door coupe like the CLS, but not a traditional 2 door coupe. The interior reminds me of a Benz and Infiniti combined, which isn't a bad thing. Another thing I noticed is that the seats look nicely bolstered.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
Overall, GM, once again shows signs of a comeback, however, they are once again late by a couple of years. This thing hould have been on the streets already (whatever it is). Cadillac should be back to being the standard of the world, once again.
Good to see you back. I think that this may very well a car coming to the streets. The interior and front fascia looking production ready, as opposed to some far out concept. The big problem is, it should have been out already, as you said. The only way I can see them justifying it is if this really is the next CTS. Then, I could see it coming out as a next gen model. As far as Caddy being the standard of the world, not truer words have been spoken. After such a good start with their revival, their momentum has slowed emensely. Where the hell is the CTS coupe? The flagship positioned above the STS? It's taking to long to flesh out they're lineup, and two long to get they're interiors where they need to be. The new Escalade's interior is the only one I'm truly impressed with.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

wow that looks hot. the interior craps all over the current CTS.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
When is this coming out? I don't think I saw it at the NY auto show...
Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
When is this coming out? I don't think I saw it at the NY auto show...
Spring 07 I believe.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy Shots: 2008 Cadillac CTS - - Source: The Car Connection

Cadillac is poised to unleash a significantly more dramatic interpretation of its "Art & Science" design language when the 2008 CTS hits the market.

The CTS's new look was unveiled in part by Bob Lutz on CBS's 60 Minutes, as he pulled back a car cover, exposing a dramatic Cadillac grille and headlight cluster to reporter Steve Kroft:

"Unfortunately this is a car that I'd like to be able to show you, but for competitive reasons we can't show it all. I'll just show you some of the, some of the advanced work that we're doing on grilles - that this is obviously a Cadillac, no concealing that," Lutz said, giving Kroft a peek.

"Would you have to kill me if I just took this thing and ripped it right out?" Kroft asked.

"I would not be pleased with you," Lutz replied.

The exchange stopped there, leaving enthusiasts to wonder more about the car beneath that cover.

Many speculated that it could be the CTS, but no-one was sure-until now. These first shots of a second-generation CTS prototype leave no doubt that the 60 Minutes car was the 2008 CTS. Seeing the entire car in the "flesh", from a number of angles, coupled with the 60 Minutes preview-assures that the next CTS will be a real visual stunner.

The steeply raked windshield and backlight give the car a coupe-like feel, with a stout, powerful stance. More pronounced wheel arches merge with a sharply chiseled waistline, giving the new car a lot of "edge," both literally and figuratively. The ground effects, character lines and trim have been simplified for a cleaner, less cluttered look than today's CTS. Some elements of the '08 CTS' design seem evolutionary, while other design touches border on revolutionary for GM's top brand.

Our partial interior shot shows a similarly clean interior theme-less blocky than today's car. The CTS' interior has always been considered one of its chief shortcomings, but the sleek armrest design and handsome wood accents seen on this prototype suggest that the passenger environment will be improved considerably.-KGP Photography

Old 04-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This camo reminds me of the first spy shots of the C6 last year.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

So for engines, I suspect, the 2.8L V6 bumped to 3.2L or a turbo added (like the one from the Saab), the 3.6 making 305+HP (this will happen with the current model most probably within 2006 or early 2007) and the 505HP LS7 used. That leaves a big gap between the last two. So another engine may be possible.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:34 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
loooooooong hood, short rear...me likes.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by titan
^ Yeah. I saw the show, and I've seen the pics on another forum. The front totally blew me away... it looks awesome, IMO. Enough to almost reconsider the next G being a sure thing. When does the next CTS debut?
Damn it, you and me BOTH! I knew the G was going to be next, now that I've seen the new one, and don't think the TL will go RWD. But the front end on this CTS is gorgeous.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Damn it, you and me BOTH! I knew the G was going to be next, now that I've seen the new one, and don't think the TL will go RWD. But the front end on this CTS is gorgeous.
LOL, we're on the same page. And what's worse, the article says the next CTS comes out in '08. That's NO time. With the G coming for '07, I could wait and see how the CTS will shape up. Decisions decisons... And I agree; the front end of the CTS is goregous.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i always like CTS except the interior. hope they fix it.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Cadillac CTS Super-V Spy Photos - - by Andreas Conradt - - AUTOMEDIA - - Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/

Super Vee

We got up-close and personal with this Cadillac, and it's obvious that this isn't an "ordinary" CTS V Series! Although the V Series Cadillacs would be considered anything but ordinary, this is a far more aggressive model. Custom bodywork, huge rear tires, larger exhaust pipes, and an engine sound unlike any other CTS, leads us to believe this is the long-rumoured Super V Series. Sources are telling us that the all-new CTS may not arrive as scheduled for the 2008 model year, but may run 5 or 6 months late and enter the luxury-power races as an early 2009 model (in early 2008). And many are speculating that Cadillac will offer this exclusive "build out model" as a last hurrah for the exiting model.

We've been told that the car we shot is likely powered by the Corvette's LS7 powerplant, a 7.0-liter V8 with 505 horsepower. Powerful enough? ... B

Old 04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Next Gen. Cadillac CTS-V News **Rumors on power (page 1)**

Cadillac CTS Super-V Spy Photos - - by Andreas Conradt - - AUTOMEDIA - - Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/

We've been told that the car we shot is likely powered by the Corvette's LS7 powerplant, a 7.0-liter V8 with 505 horsepower. Powerful enough? If not, just wait for the next-generation CTS Super V with the rumoured LS9 engine – a supercharged 6.2-litre V8 with 600 horsepower. B
Old 04-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Now we're talking. Having 100HP up on the competition will certainly help, IF! you do it right. And I think now, Cadillac can.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2008 Cadillac CTS on track for 2007 debut - - By Ed Hellwig -- - Source: http://www.edmunds.com/

When 60 Minutes recently profiled General Motors, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz pulled back the sheet from what looked like the 2008 Cadillac CTS sedan. He only revealed a corner of the new luxury sedan, but our latest spy photos show an actual prototype in action.

One thing is clear after close examination of the spy shots: The car shown on 60 Minutes was a lightly veiled concept version of the actual 2008 Cadillac CTS. The headlights are an easy tip-off as the main projector beam on the prototype is mounted on top with the marker lights sitting below instead of the other way around.

It also looks as though the horizontal grille slats are less exaggerated than the concept, a design change that's likely to maintain the necessary air flow to the production engine. The rest of the detailing up front looks spot-on. From the air inlets on each side to the size of the badge in the middle, not much changes from concept to prototype.

Profile shots, however, reveal one major new design element you didn't see on the CBS news show. Look past the checkerboard camouflage and it's clear this CTS has much smaller rear doors and windows than the current version. It gives the sedan a profile similar to the Mercedes-Benz CLS500, a car Cadillac would be smart to emulate. It's a design change that could shave a few inches off the rear-passenger area, but given that the CTS is already bigger than most of its rivals it's worth the tradeoff.

There's not much to see out back as this prototype was covered up quite well around the trunk. Although there are taillights visible underneath the tarps, it appears as though the circular protrusions are add-ons designed to keep the engineers from getting rear-ended at the test track rather than actual production units.

Also note the collection of brake lights around the bottom of the skirting. They're likely to be production units as there would be no reason to mount them otherwise. The current CTS has nothing similar so this would be a notable design change that might make the otherwise bland rear end look a little more interesting. Our brief glimpse of an open door doesn't show much of the interior, but you can at least see what the door trim will look like.

One thing we couldn't figure out from these photos is which engines and transmissions will be used for the second-generation CTS. We expect Cadillac will crank up the current 3.6-liter V6 to somewhere in the 280-to-300-horsepower range, putting it up there with the more powerful V6s already on the market. Paired with GM's new six-speed automatic transmission, it would make for a potent CTS capable of keeping pace with rivals like the 306-hp Lexus IS 350 and 298-hp Infiniti G35.

Look for the concept version of the 2008 Cadillac CTS to debut at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show with sales beginning in the fall of 2007.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Daym its looking really nice.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Daym 600hp
Old 04-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Those wheels and wheel arches are huge.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
That's Racist

Red face

i think the wheel arches look silly
Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Prob cause the new platform is sitting under the old body, like the GTR under the g35 body.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:30 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
the sound that thing must make
Old 04-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Prob cause the new platform is sitting under the old body, like the GTR under the g35 body.
Naw. It's the same Sigma platform it's been using. I think the fender flare are necessary because of the huge wheels they put on it.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Looks good in the first picture, but looks a little odd from the rear, but I really like it at an angle...
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stangg172004
the sound that thing must make
Same as a zo6, BADASS.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

My next question is, if the next CTSV makes 600HP, how much power will the STSV and XLRV make?!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
good times!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
CTS coupe.....please!!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Race Director

That is the one Caddy I like a lot. Does anyone know the long term reliability of Cadillacs?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Instructor

i cant wait to see the STS-V come out, but this will have to do, i jut seen them both at the NY AUTO SHOW.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
They can't control axle hop on the CTS-V, what do they plan to do with the added 100HP and 70 lb-ft?

Must be based on the next gen car's platform.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
They can't control axle hop on the CTS-V, what do they plan to do with the added 100HP and 70 lb-ft?

Must be based on the next gen car's platform.
I thought they addressed that?
Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^ In theory they have, however I have not read of any reviews confirming. That does not mean such reviews have not taken place already.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post CTS-based coupe may be headed for dealerships by 2008

By JENS MEINERS

AutoWeek | Published 05/09/06, 8:20 am

Cadillac plans to re-enter the coupe segment with a powerfully styled CTS-based two-door, possibly by 2008 as a 2009 model.

Cadillac had hoped to keep a lid on the project, which was pushed back because of General Motors’ financial situation. The program has not been officially approved, but work is well under way—and “Bob Lutz really wants it,” sources familiar with the project tell AutoWeek. “The biggest problem for this car is GM has other, more urgent business to take care of right now.”

Insiders describe the coupe as a “bold and elegant” design statement. “This car is a new and powerful interpretation of the two-door coupe theme,” one source says.

The coupe wears now-familiar Cadillac design cues—a big, V-shaped grille, a high, wedge-shaped beltline and vertical taillights on a short trunk.

Cadillac’s coupe will be based on the upcoming, second-generation CTS sedan, which was partially unveiled April 2 by GM vice chairman Lutz on the CBS newsmagazine 60 Minutes. On the

program Lutz pulled back a car cover revealing a dramatic Cadillac grille and headlight cluster, along with a taillight, but stopped short of showing the rest of the car. Now that our spies have snapped these photographs of the actual next-generation CTS in testing, it is obvious the car Lutz showed on 60 Minutes was the 2008 CTS.

The Cadillac coupe will share its platform, front end and fender styling with the CTS, along with some other sheetmetal, to help Cadillac keep down the cost of the coupe. The coupe could come to market following the 2007 launch of the next-generation CTS sedan.

The same V6 engines offered in the CTS will power the coupe, but a V-Series coupe with a 400-hp-plus Northstar V8 under the hood is likely as well. Cadillac also is mulling over a convertible version. “It would add cost, but convertibles are where the volume is generated in this segment,” says a source.

The shrinking coupe market could be a worry for Cadillac. Main contenders include the Mercedes-Benz CLK, BMW 3 Series coupe, Infiniti G35 coupe and the upcoming Audi A5, a 2008 model year coupe based on the next-gen A4. Cadillac’s problem: Its new coupe will be significantly larger than the CLK, 3 Series and G35, raising questions of pricing and market positioning against larger and more luxurious coupes like the A5 and BMW 6 Series.

An insider estimates volumes of 25,000 to 30,000 cars annually. “They don’t know whether that is enough,” the source says. “It is a difficult market, with high initial volumes that tend to drop sharply after 18 months or so.”

While the CTS-based coupe could be developed quickly, there is speculation of a larger coupe with a V12 engine that carries design cues of the Cadillac Sixteen concept car and could be sold in the $75,000 range.

“The new vehicle is definitely a Cadillac,” an insider says. “There is a lot of enthusiasm for it within the company.” GM can probably expect that enthusiasm to extend to fans of the marque who appreciate its history.

Cadillac has a rich heritage of high-class coupes, including the 400-hp, 500-cid Eldorado of the early 1970s, and the Pininfarina-styled and built Allante convertible of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Cadillac’s last coupe was the Seville-based Eldorado Touring Coupe that ceased production in 2003.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah

The same V6 engines offered in the CTS will power the coupe, but a V-Series coupe with a 400-hp-plus Northstar V8 under the hood is likely as well.
I thought that they always use some version of the pushrod V8 from the Vette in the V series, not the more expensive Northstar.

Quick Reply: Cadillac: CTS News **2018 V Revealed (page 46)**