C&D Comparo: Fusion vs Accord vs Sonata vs Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C&D Comparo: Fusion vs Accord vs Sonata vs Camry

Mid-Size Four-Door Sedans - - BY PATRICK BEDARD - - December 2005 - - Source: caranddriver.com

Fourth Place
Toyota Camry XLE V-6

Highs: Unflappable composure, impeccable interior details, plush-carpet ride, best back seat of the bunch.

Lows: Too AARP in its control responses, too Martha Stewart in its attitude.

The Verdict: A Maytag with Lexus quality.

In acceleration, the Camry fell behind the others, although its 7.6-second run to 60 was barely behind the Fusion's 7.4. It finished last through the quarter-mile at 15.9 seconds and 89 mph, compared with 15.7 and 91 for the Ford, third best.

Cornering grip was also lowest at 0.77 g, surely attributable in part to the choice of Michelin Energy tires; they specialize in fuel economy and squeals of protest when pushed. They corner with large, loose, unfun slip angles.

-------------------------------

Third Place
Hyundai Sonata LX V-6

Highs: Spunky acceleration, shortest stops, and, of course, the price.

Lows: Infuriating seatbelt warning chime, overly decorated instrument pointers, driver's seat tries to slide you off the front.

The Verdict: All you can drive for $23,495.

This new four-door has frisky moves. In acceleration it leaves the Toyota and Ford far behind, tying the fleet Honda at 6.6 seconds from 0 to 60, then dropping back to finish the quarter-mile at 15.3 seconds at 93 mph. Left in the dust, too, is the previous Sonata, which needed 2.0 more seconds to reach 60 mph and was 8 mph slower in the quarter-mile. Clearly, this is a much improved and invigorated car.

In braking, the Sonata outstopped all the others at 181 feet from 70 mph. In cornering grip it tied the Honda at 0.79 g. The steering is light to the touch and very quick just off-center, maybe a little too quick. The tires report loudly of road imperfections. The automatic, alone in this group, has a manumatic gate off to the side that enables easy one-gear-at-a-time shifts. That's the good news. The bad news is that it can be crippled by a soda pop spilled into the mechanism. It happens!

-------------------------------------

Second Place
Ford Fusion SEL V-6

Highs: Chiseled-steel body shape, best fuel economy, the feel of Euro muscle instead of mass-market mush.

Lows: HVAC controls located down around your ankles, door pockets so small that stuff falls out, and, "Has that hood come unlatched?"

The Verdict: Not your father's Taurus.

Most of the test drivers liked this car's controllability and the way they fit inside. It feels heavy in motion, very stable and deliberate. Road grip topped the others at 0.83 g. There were complaints, however, about the high level of road noise from a variety of sources, and particularly from tire impacts. Ride comfort is midpack, behind that of the Honda and Toyota.

-----------------------------------------------

First Place
Honda Accord EX V-6

Highs: Muscular handling, quick transmission reflexes, serious acceleration, best-dressed interior.

Lows: Suspension muscles tell you about all the bumps, back-seat space tightest of the group.

The Verdict: The nice little Accord grew up to be a muscle car.

----

The tweaked-up Accord for 2006 does what Accords always do—charm us with eager responses and superb control on the road. What we didn't expect was the newly developed muscle, as in muscle car.

First, the tweaks. The styling has been freshened with a new grille and bumper in front and a profoundly different look in back as the taillights, instead of spreading onto the decklid, now occupy the upper corners of the rear fenders, much as they do on Accord coupes. The center stoplight is carved most tidily into the top edge of the decklid. When the brakes are on, the Accord's tail glows red with LEDs, the latest fashion in rear lighting. As face lifts go, this one is a resounding success. Daylight running lights are now standard equipment, as is a stability-control system on V-6 models.

Honda claims a mild 4-hp increase in engine output, to 244 at 6250 rpm. We've never thought the Accord was underpowered; Honda apparently thought otherwise. The 2006 Accord ripped through the acceleration test to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds, a tie with the Sonata, then strongly broke to the front to clear the quarter-mile in 15.1 seconds at 95 mph. For the record, the old Accord needed 7.0 seconds to hit 60 and was 3 mph slower in the quarter.

In other categories of athletics, the Accord was always in the top half of the class—second best in stopping distance, tied for second best with the Hyundai in roadholding—and was the top performer in the emergency-lane-change test.

As a mid-sizer, the Accord is weakest in rear-seat capacity. Space back there is smallest of the group, narrow in the shoulders, low in cushion height, and least hospitable to a center passenger because of the hard backrest in that position.

For the driver, however, the Accord is easily the top choice. The driving position has enough adjustment to allow tailoring for almost anyone. The machine has an eagerness about it, a nimble feel, light and quick, the result of right-now steering response and a transmission that's always ready to drop down a gear or two when you squeeze on the power. Throttle control is so quick the car is almost jumpy, almost too eager, but not quite. The ride is firm, much different in character from that of the smooth Camry, or the noisy Fusion, or the less firmly tethered Sonata. You feel each bump, but only once. There's no bobbing on the springs in memory of a disturbance. So the Accord is always ready for its next move, much more so than the others in this group.

By a small margin over the Toyota, we thought Honda's selection of interior material was most pleasing. Both Honda and Toyota have more legible instruments by far than the others. This Honda transmits plenty of information up from the road, too. Call it road noise and tire noise, or call it part of the Accord's driver-involvement program.

With the introduction of two all-new mid-sizers, much has been accomplished in this class for 2006, but the Honda benchmark is still the standard by which the others must be measured.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
wow, exact same results from the Motor Trend article too! in that order!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
I read this comparo last week. It's pretty much the order of my preference as well. I still dont understand why Honda changed the Accord's rear end when it's the front end that needed to be redone.

I also though that the Alti 3.5SE or SL should have been included.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
There's supposed to be either a refreshened one, or a new one, coming out next year. I'm guessing thaty's why one wasn't included. The other glaring omission there was the G6 and Malibu.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by titan
There's supposed to be either a refreshened one, or a new one, coming out next year. I'm guessing thaty's why one wasn't included. The other glaring omission there was the G6 and Malibu.
The 07 Alti will probably be all new. That said, the Camry XLE represented in this comparison is at least as old as the current 3G Altima and is also due for an updated model next year.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:21 PM
goldmemberererer

Erm. Much as I dislike Toyota and their very good and very unexciting cars, I do think they should be tied for Honda in first place.

Anyone who's not too budget conscious will get either the Camry or the Accord, depending on whether they like driving (Honda) or don't want to know that they're in a car (Toyota).
Old 11-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

The Camry needs a Makeover! But I would still buy that over the Sonata or Fusion anyday.

Happy to see the Accord came in first... no surprise, I think that and the altima I see the most everyday by me....
Old 11-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by goldmemberer
Erm. Much as I dislike Toyota and their very good and very unexciting cars, I do think they should be tied for Honda in first place.

Anyone who's not too budget conscious will get either the Camry or the Accord, depending on whether they like driving (Honda) or don't want to know that they're in a car (Toyota).
here is what i don't understand. Why can they test a Camry SE V6 with 3.3 V6, bigger tires, stiffer springs, and quciker steering?

It would still drive like a boat, but it would at least do better than an XLE. Plus, the SE V6 is actually cheaper too.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by goldmemberer

Not necessarily. I'd buy the Sonata if it was a good car. If it was cheaper than the Honda too, well, even better
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I read this comparo last week. It's pretty much the order of my preference as well. I still dont understand why Honda changed the Accord's rear end when it's the front end that needed to be redone.

I think the rear needed the re-do alot more but I agree that the front should have been changed as well.

I probly would have bought an Accord V6 over the TSX if it had this back end back in 03. That old rear end was the deal breaker for me.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:53 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by dom
I think the rear needed the re-do alot more but I agree that the front should have been changed as well.

I probly would have bought an Accord V6 over the TSX if it had this back end back in 03. That old rear end was the deal breaker for me.
Same reason I went with the TSX. The re-done rear still looks half-ass...the new civic rear-end looks way better, especially at night.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

Similarly, the 7G's front makes me . The previous rear worked OK for me but I guess if Honda didnt change it, people might confuse it for the Sonata.

But, I probably would have bought the 7G AV6 if it was a) on the market when I bought my 02 Maxima (early in 2002) and b) if the AV6H had a power sunroof ( ).
Old 11-17-2005, 05:01 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nah, the accord's previous rear end was horribly ugly. that was the main reason i didnt buy it when it first came out. the front end needs work too but not nearly as bad as the rear.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:43 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll take sonata over accord and camry. camry is getting old, and i've had 03 accord, which was a huge disappointment.

anyway, i've seen few new sonata's on the road, and it's rear is million times better than accord's rear!!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chungkopi
i'll take sonata over accord and camry. camry is getting old, and i've had 03 accord, which was a huge disappointment.

anyway, i've seen few new sonata's on the road, and it's rear is million times better than accord's rear!!

Its still a Hyundai.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Drifting

I think the Fusion looks a LOT better then the other cars in the test.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Props to Ford.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Things will get interesting when Ford puts the new 3.5L V6 in he Fusion. I'd like to see it teamed to a 6 speed manual to go after the Altima/Maxima. The engine is designed to be turbocharged as well. A Fusion SVT with a Turbocharger would be fun!
Old 11-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by chiawei
here is what i don't understand. Why can they test a Camry SE V6 with 3.3 V6, bigger tires, stiffer springs, and quciker steering?

It would still drive like a boat, but it would at least do better than an XLE. Plus, the SE V6 is actually cheaper too.
Notice how all the cars are the "luxury" models with leather seating? You can't get it in the SE V6. That's why.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
My friend has a Solara with the 3.3L V6...it's fast. I think it'll be as early as the next refresh that the Accord gets the TL's 3.2L engine. Cause if it sticks with the 3.0L, it'll soon be outclassed by pretty much everyone else in the midsize market.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by youngTL
Notice how all the cars are the "luxury" models with leather seating? You can't get it in the SE V6. That's why.
You can get leather on the SE V6 Camry with Premium Package or Navigation Package.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
Actually you can get leather with SE V6.

In fact a loaded SE V6 will have all options on the XLE V6 except power rear sunscreen (the SE gets manual one).
Old 11-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by chiawei
Actually you can get leather with SE V6.

In fact a loaded SE V6 will have all options on the XLE V6 except power rear sunscreen (the SE gets manual one).
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...103035e%2ehtml

I just looked at the Canadian website, and we're both wrong. The SE V6 is the only one available with heated leather seating surfaces. But strangely enough, the XLE gets auto climate control, and it's N/A on the SE V6.