Buick's "Road to Glory" **No RWD for Buick? (page 2)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Buick's "Road to Glory" **No RWD for Buick? (page 2)**

GM plans $3 billion overhaul of Buick, looks to move brand upscale - - - By RICK KRANZ | Automotive News

Buick is expected to introduce a four-seat convertible concept at the New York auto show, offering another glimpse at General Motors' plans to revive the stodgy brand by moving it upscale.

Struggling with aging products and gray-haired customers, Buick is next in line at GM for new products and new styling.

Approved or nearing approval are a:

LeSabre replacement, due in the 2006 model year.

Mid-sized sport wagon, expected around the 2007 model year.

Rear-drive flagship sedan that would be shorter but nearly as wide as the LeSabre replacement. It would arrive around the 2007 model year.

The convertible also is under consideration. The concept is expected to feature a retractable hardtop roof.

GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said he wants to make Buick a true premium player. He said new Buicks will be quiet and will have top-notch fit and finish. A rich-looking interior will be Buick's signature.
Source: Autoweek
Old 02-09-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought he was focusing in Europe?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
All the work in the world can't fix Buick. The name has no credibility to anyone under 40. The new Vette could be sold as a Buick and I doubt people would even take notice.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Lutz to fix Buick next

Originally posted by gavriil
GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said he wants to make Buick a true premium player. He said new Buicks will be quiet and will have top-notch fit and finish. A rich-looking interior will be Buick's signature.
I thought that's what Caddy was for...
Old 02-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
caddy is 2 target bmw

buicks 2 target lexus

hmmm wonder what'll challenge benz...prob caddy
Old 02-12-2004, 06:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally posted by unsure
buicks 2 target lexus
Old 02-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Moog-Type-S
That is funny

Lutz won't live long enough !!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought he was focusing in Europe?
Not really. That's a temp job.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
All the work in the world can't fix Buick. The name has no credibility to anyone under 40. The new Vette could be sold as a Buick and I doubt people would even take notice.
I dont think Buick wants to change and start selling aggressively to people under 40.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Lutz to fix Buick next

Originally posted by AcuraFan
I thought that's what Caddy was for...
Caddy will be placed more upmarket.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Moog-Type-S
3-4 years from now, the above wont sound funny at all. Watch.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:54 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
always will be overpriced and lose half its value in 2 years caddy and buick
Old 02-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by dallison
always will be overpriced and lose half its value in 2 years caddy and buick

Buick is overpriced? I dont agree.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:09 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
All I see are Bluehairs driving Buicks here in Florida.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:12 PM
registered pw

sorry cadillac. the prices i have seen of buick are good for what they offer. average american car prices. my bad
Old 02-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1killercls
That's the old Buick. Granted, the current Buick is prblematic. The one thing that Buicks have is quality right now. No one can deny that. They are VERY reliable.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:13 PM
registered pw

Originally posted by 1killercls
we call em whiteheads
Old 02-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Oh you mean those people with their blinkers stuck in the on position. I find it a little hard to believe Buick is going anywhere after seeing the LaCrosse, unless of course Lutz starts rebadging Cadillacs as Buicks which is always a strong possibility with this company.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Kabachitare!

Seems like Chrsyler tried the same "move upmarket" strategy with the Pacifica and Crossfire. And it flopped.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:07 PM
What, me drive fast?

That's the old Buick. Granted, the current Buick is prblematic. The one thing that Buicks have is quality right now. No one can deny that. They are VERY reliable.
I read that the average age of Buick owners is 65. The oldest of any brand. That being said, my parents were recently looking for a car to replace their 1996 Le Sabre. My Mom and I talked my Dad into looking at "imports" like the Camry and Accord. He loved the V6 Accord and my Mom liked the looks of the Camry but really he had brand loyalty even though they had ENDLESS problems with their Buick. But, in Buicks defense, after 7 or 8 years you expect issues. Anyhow, they got a great deal on a 2004 Le Sabre and my dad is psyched. He was leaning toward the Accord over the Camry though.

I really hope that Buick has their act together as far as quality. One thing that Buick had going for it is the sales people a Buick were AWSOME. The Honda and Toyota dealerships that we went to had terrible sales people. I was VERY pleased with my Acura experience but the Buick dealership was just as nice. I almost thought of emailing Toyota to complain about the turd that "helped" us.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Buick plans lineup expansion; rear-wheel-drive premium vehicles to be featured -- JASON STEIN | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT -- General Motors' next rear-wheel-drive premium vehicles will expand Buick's product line significantly and give consumers more options - sporty cars and comfy sedans.

Michael Simcoe, GM's new executive director of body frame integral design, says the automaker's new Zeta architecture will extend Buick's product portfolio.

"We will play at both ends," Simcoe says. "We can have prestigious luxury and prestigious sport."

Within two years, Zeta will debut on a Buick sedan. A coupe and possibly a convertible will follow.

Simcoe says Zeta, which will be engineered by GM's Australian subsidiary Holden Ltd., will be a key component in GM's overall strategy for global products.

Simcoe should know. Before being appointed to his position on Aug. 1, Simcoe was executive director for design in GM's Asia-Pacific region. He was responsible for the design strategy at GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. and Holden.

Zeta is an evolution in the way GM thinks about product development, he says.

"Zeta is the classic case of GM seeing an architecture around the globe," Simcoe says. "The way it used to work was if it wasn't North American, it wasn't appropriate.

"But there is a lot of potential there with Zeta. There is freedom to do more."

As such, Zeta will offer that freedom to GM's product planners."We are getting encouragement coming from all sides to do as much as we can with it in terms of flexibility," Simcoe says. "That means more variants and more ability to move up and down when it comes to price."

Zeta will debut with Pontiac in the next-generation GTO - but the design won't be retro, he says.

"I wouldn't want retro," Simcoe says. "What the market wants is something that will stand out."

GM uses the term architecture to signify a common set of components, performance characteristics, a common manufacturing process, a range of dimensions and connecting points for key component systems.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
vive la riveara?
i loved those cars!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
$38k for a Park Avenue Ultra is ridiculous

Especially when the cheapest E320 will be worth more than twice what the PA is after 4 years
Old 12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by charliemike
$38k for a Park Avenue Ultra is ridiculous

Especially when the cheapest E320 will be worth more than twice what the PA is after 4 years
Old 12-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Pit Stop?

They need to revive the two words...........

GRAND NATIONAL.

That is all.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

GM's on the right path. This next gen Zeta will be able to support a varitey of models, all RWD. Still, it's a transition that will take time. They need to get these new cars in while phasing out all of the current shitin they're line, like the Terrazza minivan and both SUVs. A crossover based on the Zeta will be a much better fit, and would be unique to Buick, which is what the brand needs.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Kabachitare!

A new Grand National would certianly draw in younger buyers.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:00 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
caddy is moving up market like it has been over the past few years. Buick will be taking its place. Pontiac will be moving a little more upscale and replace buick. Pontiac will be the buick of the muscle car era, they will offer sport/entry level luxury mix, while retaining a balls to the wall sporty car. Chevy will fill the void as they have a bevy of cars to fill most voids left by pontiac. This is what i heard from the grape vine.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bigman
caddy is moving up market like it has been over the past few years. Buick will be taking its place. Pontiac will be moving a little more upscale and replace buick. Pontiac will be the buick of the muscle car era, they will offer sport/entry level luxury mix, while retaining a balls to the wall sporty car. Chevy will fill the void as they have a bevy of cars to fill most voids left by pontiac. This is what i heard from the grape vine.
Well, I've heard similar news from the grape vine. Caddy is to be Truly be the Standard of the World, with no excuses performance, style, quality, etc., to compete head to head with Mercedes and BMW. Buick is to pull off what Lexus did in the 80's... come with extremely high quality interiors, quiet rides, at a great discount to the Majors while still holding on to that luxury panache' and brand that many are looking for. The only problem with with Buick is that they aren't following Lexus in the that Lexus mimicked the product lineup with of the Majors. Buick looks like they're headed that way, but they keep messing up in important areas. For instance, Lexus doesn't have a minivan, and neither does any other true Lux brand. Buick also has one to many SUV's overlapping each other. If the next gen Zeta platform is flexible enough (probably is), it could support a RWD flagship, with a sedan placed under it, and a coupe/convertible similar to the Velite. That would help keep costs down, while having the all important RWD. For entry level, they could possibly use the FWD Epsilon to create a car to compete with TL/ES330/9-3(I know it's also Epsilon). GM fails to realize that there's room for Buick to have a RWD,V8 powered flagship that won't step on Caddy's flagship's toes... Just make one the standard of the world to compete with the S-Class/7-Series, while the other is full of comfort with restrained styling to sell at a discount to Lexus. Buick only needs adeuate power from the V8, like around 300HP (the last gen Northstar used in the FWD Bonnevile is 290HP) , leaving Caddy to fight in the HP wars. With a Buick flaghip starting 6-8K under where the LS starts, and the Caddy flagship starting at a slight discount to the S-class, that's a huge gulf in price; and more than enough room for both flaghips. Pontiac will remain the sporty brand, but will also carry a natural premium in features and content to Chevy, natually placing it above Chevy to compete with Chrysler and Volvo in the Preminum catagory. Chevy stays where it is, while Saturn tries to revamp and stay alive fighting imports. I like GM, Buick, and Caddy. GM doesn't have any excuse for being the best automaker in the world, but Toyota WILL be number 1 if they don't get their act together very soon.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

No RWD for Buick? - - By RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

CHICAGO - While Chevrolet and Pontiac will offer rear-drive cars, the Buick dealer council basically said, "Thanks - but no, thanks."

But GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has left the door open if the group wants to reconsider.

Lutz said U.S. dealers were offered a Buick based on the long-wheelbase Holden Statesman that will be sold in China next year.

"It was firmly in the U.S. product program" until the car was shown to Buick dealers, Lutz said.

The issue? Both the front-drive Lucerne sedan and the rwd Buick sedan are about the same size, and both offer V-6 and V-8 engines. The dealers thought the rwd car would cannibalize Lucerne sales, Lutz said.

"They were worried that it wasn't going to be 'plus' business, and we had to worry about the substitution rate," he said. "So for excellent business reasons, we elected not to do it."

But Lutz quickly added that "the future is open on that." With a Buick already being built for China, he said, "Once that vehicle exists, it would be a little hard to see why you wouldn't use it for the whole market."
Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Time to phase out Buick. Apparently the dealers are less intelligent than I gave them credit for (which wasn't much).

Who in their right mind chooses a Lucerne over the Statesman? WHO?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Time to phase out Buick. Apparently the dealers are less intelligent than I gave them credit for (which wasn't much).

Who in their right mind chooses a Lucerne over the Statesman? WHO?

Dealers know their customers better than GM does IMO. I think its great GM is listening to its customers.

Having said that I have no idea if the Lucerne even sells well. If it doesn't this makes no sense.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

I'm speechless. This is a huge blow, and it comes from the Buick dealers... damnit. The next gen Lucerne should be the aforementioned Statesman, IMO. It's too early to phase out the existing one; to new (that's the Buick dealer's thinking)... huge disappointment.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:20 AM
how handsome I am

well, buick's going to be set back for a while. Let's seewhat happens in a couple years
Old 02-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by dom
Dealers know their customers better than GM does IMO.
I sold Buicks, Pontiacs, and Jeeps for a year in college. I don't think they do at all. I think the dealers are afraid of change. I've drive a LaCrosse. It's worse than the Regal IMO. Feels and sounds cheap. That's the kind of product they want to have instead of something new and better? Ugh.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
will the world miss Buick?....no
I still cannot believe people drive the Rendevous....on thier own free will.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
how handsome I am

re-release the GN as a pontiac... or keep buick around just to sell the GN... otherwise, this branch of GM has become a non-competitor in the market if it sticks to FWD with the state its in right now
Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

At least now Buick can compete with Acura
Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the dealers are afraid of change.
i couldn't agree more
Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If Buick should be Lexus-like, then RWD makes sense. However a FWD entry car like the ES is also fine.

Quick Reply: Buick's "Road to Glory" **No RWD for Buick? (page 2)**