Buick Lausanne / Statesman News **Named? (page 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Buick Lausanne / Statesman News **Named? (page 3)**

Buick will get a V8 rear-wheel drive sedan in 2008 - - Source: Edmunds.com

DETROIT, Mich. — Industry sources tell Inside Line that Buick intends to import a large rear-wheel-drive sedan from General Motors' Holden subsidiary in Australia, to serve as its flagship passenger car in 2008. It's a trick GM already tried with the slow selling Pontiac GTO, which is based on the Australian Holden Monaro.

The sedan reportedly will fill a slot in the division's lineup that will be left by the impending demise of the front-wheel-drive Park Avenue.

Holden has already begun testing prototypes of the Buick sedan, which will also share its basic architecture and underpinnings with the next-generation Holden Commodore and Statesman sedans in Australia.

The Buick sedan has been designed to accept GM's 5.7-liter V8, which likely will be mated to a five- or six-speed automatic transmission.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2008 is two years too late.

Look at the BMW-like rear wheel-fender gap

I hope it's qualitative enough, unlike the GTO.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Sounds to me like Lutz is dipping into Australia at any opportunity to find RWD platforms for his cars now...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's about time. This car needs to be a real competitor to the LS at a valued discount, if Buick hopes to have any true lux creditiblity future. I wonder what the HP application be from the 5.7 V8 will be for this car. Also, no reason why this car shouldn't get the 6SP. After the mediocre Lacrosse, and just adequate but good Lucerne, Buick needs to hit this one out of the park, styling and content wise. I'm not worried about the quality or reliablilty as much as I how it'll look, and the gadgets it'll have. The shape of the greenhouse is nice. As is the wheel gap, as Gav said. Also, look at the how the rear window hooks, a la' BMW.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
....looks Altima-ish. Can we expect the DoD V8 in this one??
Old 02-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If the LS1 fits in there that means the LS2 also does. BUt I dont think that Buick should use pushrod engines if they are to go against the Lexus offerings. They have to share the DOHC engines from Cadillac. So the new generation Northstar engines which by 2008 will be much more powerful should be used. I am guessing a 5.0 liter V8 DOHC engine making 370HP to go against the LS460.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
If the LS1 fits in there that means the LS2 also does. BUt I dont think that Buick should use pushrod engines if they are to go against the Lexus offerings. They have to share the DOHC engines from Cadillac. So the new generation Northstar engines which by 2008 will be much more powerful should be used. I am guessing a 5.0 liter V8 DOHC engine making 370HP to go against the LS460.

Sorry Gav, that makes way to much sense, and is way to rational for GM to ever implement. The perfect example is the Lucerne; it get's the 3800 pushrod @ a pitiful 195HP to go against the Avalon's 280HP all new 3.5L V6. It should have gotten the 3.6L HFV6 making 250 HP just to be credible... but nnooo, e'll see the HFV6 debut in the new Aura, though Saturn is still placed under Buick. Go fuckin' figure. I see nothing wrong with Buick getting slightly detuned Caddy engines.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by titan
Sorry Gav, that makes way to much sense, and is way to rational for GM to ever implement. The perfect example is the Lucerne; it get's the 3800 pushrod @ a pitiful 195HP to go against the Avalon's 280HP all new 3.5L V6. It should have gotten the 3.6L HFV6 making 250 HP just to be credible... but nnooo, e'll see the HFV6 debut in the new Aura, though Saturn is still placed under Buick. Go fuckin' figure. I see nothing wrong with Buick getting slightly detuned Caddy engines.

Yeah they gave it the wrong engine for the V6 but I think that's the only V6 in this class that fits the FWD platform. The 3.6 from Caddy fits RWD platforms only.

In all fairness they went with the 4.6 Northstar with the V8 option.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Yeah they gave it the wrong engine for the V6 but I think that's the only V6 in this class that fits the FWD platform. The 3.6 from Caddy fits RWD platforms only.

In all fairness they went with the 4.6 Northstar with the V8 option.
True dat, true dat; they did include the Northstar. Saddly though, in order to protect the DTS, the HP is rated at 275. Toyota salesmen are going to have a field day selling the Avalon, that get's 280HP from a sophisticated, all new 3.5 V6. That's a damn shame. I'm waiting to be impressed by Buick. What I don't get, is that GM doesn't more closely follow Caddy's recent resurgence. GM's smart; all of there new plaforms (Epsilon, Sigma, Kappa) are more flexible than ever. Look at all of the different vehicles Sigma underpins, and all for one divison. Zeta is a less costly platform than Sigma, but is still a good RWD base. Why not stretch and shrink a Zeta to get three cars out of Buick, in addition to a few crossovers or SUVs. Sharing the same platform will save money that can be spent on interiors and luxo-crap to make the brand a true Lexus alternative. No one's bashing Caddy's wide spread use of Sigma, or of Infiniti's use of the great FM platform. Wise up GM. What works for the goose will work for the gander.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:06 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
First Oldsmobile, Buick may be next.

Seriously, how can they complete with entry luxury cars like ES, G, C, TL, 3-series, A4 etc? The folks who have money for luxury mid-size/full-size sedans won't look at Buick at all.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

^^ That can very well change. Look at the big picture. It takes the right product first. Mix that with the right marketing, and price it right, and you've got a winner. Really, think about it. You're 23 yrs. old. Buick didn't exist 30 years ago. If GM put for 100% effort, Buick could easily be a premier lux maker, easily seen in the same light as Lexus; and all of that in just a generation or two. If they stay true to the mission of being a Lexus competitor, in 25-30 years, our affluent kids could be dreamin about Buick the same way we do Lexus, Benz, Infiniti, etc. And Buick's got a major trump card; it's major history. And I do understand history alone can't save the company (look at Oldsmobile, America's oldest brand).
Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 PM
MSZ
Lola

^^ That can very well change. Look at the big picture. It takes the right product first. Mix that with the right marketing, and price it right, and you've got a winner. Really, think about it. You're 23 yrs. old. Buick didn't exist 30 years ago. If GM put for 100% effort, Buick could easily be a premier lux maker, easily seen in the same light as Lexus; and all of that in just a generation or two. If they stay true to the mission of being a Lexus competitor, in 25-30 years, our affluent kids could be dreamin about Buick the same way we do Lexus, Benz, Infiniti, etc. And Buick's got a major trump card; it's major history. And I do understand history alone can't save the company (look at Oldsmobile, America's oldest brand).
I agree with some of your points, but you got too many "ifs" there.

I think Caddie is heading to the right direction but not Buick. Just my
Old 02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Buick didn't exist 30 years ago.
The Buick brand is over 100 years old ( David Dunbar Buick ) and it preceded the GM name ( William Durant ).

If GM put for 100% effort, Buick could easily be a premier lux maker, easily seen in the same light as Lexus
Shaping public perception about Buick is easier said than done. To wit, Buick produces some of the highest quality ratings overall according to JD Power. That's a great first step AND GM is showing signs of reshaping Buick with the new LaCrosse which does look promising. (Something that previously couldnt be said for other non-Caddy GM brands.)
Old 02-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MSZ
I agree with some of your points, but you got too many "ifs" there.

I think Caddie is heading to the right direction but not Buick. Just my

I'll admit, there's a hell of alot of ifs in there. Don't get me wrong; I'm blinded by loyalty, or anything. Buick's no where near where I think they need to be as far a competing with Lexus is concerned. The lineup's screwed up; The quality and reliability's there, but the design and styling isn't yet. Product is key... and they should abandon RWD all togherther from there sedans, IMHO, starting with this flagship, and trickling downward.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buick didn't exist 30 years ago.

...Buick has always been positioned a notch down from Cadillac. .. If they stay true to the mission of being a Lexus competitor, in 25-30 years...
Buick has always been a notch down from Cadillac and most would say Cadillac is a notch below Lexus.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6

Buick has always been a notch down from Cadillac and most would say Cadillac is a notch below Lexus.

Sorry. I was drinking heavily when I wrote that... I meant, Lexus wasn't around 30 years ago. Buick was GM #1 brand until they bought Caddy.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Sorry. I was drinking heavily when I wrote that... I meant, Lexus wasn't around 30 years ago. Buick was GM #1 brand until they bought Caddy.

But your point about the direction Buick needs to go is well taken. I personally think Buick should be reshaped into an Acura type theme and the LaCrosse CXS & Rainier are both good first steps. Caddy should (and I think they are) focus the higher volume Lexus/MB products.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Kabachitare!

Looks like a much better car than the V8 Lucerne. But I wonder if something will get lost in the translation.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

But your point about the direction Buick needs to go is well taken. I personally think Buick should be reshaped into an Acura type theme and the LaCrosse CXS & Rainier are both good first steps. .
that is the direction they are taking saturn. they want to compete with acura with saturn acording to gm officials at teh auto show
Old 03-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy Shots: 2008 Buick Lausanne - - Rear-drive returns to Buick. - - by Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image - - Source: The Car Connection

Having given Cadillac a shot in the arm with lots of new models, now General Motors is turning its attention to Buick, with a multi-year effort to replace Buick's entire lineup of cars. First was the 2005 Buick LaCrosse, which replaced the Buick Century. Next will be the 2006 Buick Lucerne, a stylish replacement for the Buick LeSabre.

Buick has not yet shown the third new sedan, but these latest spy photos, taken inAustralia, give the first glimpse of the all-new rear-wheel-drive full-size sedan which will be Buick's new top-of-the-line model, and will replace the Buick Park Avenue for the 2008 model year. One possibility for a name, used by Buick on concepts before, is Lausanne.

This new sedan will be a premium model, once again raising the level of luxury and performance beyond that of the model it replaces. A V-8 engine is expected, of about 5.7 liters of displacement. The fact that it was caught under test in Australia is no fluke. The new Buick is being developed jointly by GM and GM's Australian car division, Holden. In fact, Holden will not only share in the design of this as-yet-unnamed Buick, but Holden will build it in Australia as well, and GM will import it to the U.S.

The prototypes reveal a very rounded roofline with steeply slanted windshield and rear window. At the front are big headlight clusters with small-diameter high-intensity headlights along with turn signals and parking lights that result in a two by two matrix of lights behind a large clear cover - covered with tape for disguise on the prototypes. The rear taillight cluster is also large, and has multiple round lights. A few luxury touches include parking sensors in both the front and rear bumpers, and lights in the lower portion of the side mirrors.

The grille of the black prototype is disguised with lots of black tape, but looking closely at the white car shows details of the grille design. A bold ring of chrome surrounds the grille opening, plus four horizontal bars crossing the grille are also trimmed with chrome at the front edge of each bar. At the grille's center is a large chrome Buick emblem. There's plenty of bright chrome to put "bling" into the grille of this top-of-the-line cruiser. The rear end carries on a Buick design tradition, with a horizontal chrome bar across the trunk lid, just above the license plate, with raised letters spelling out Buick. The chrome bar is covered with black tape on the prototypes, but a close-up photo not shown here clearly shows the Buick name under the tape.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Why is there a tire in the driver's seat?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

That navi screen comes as standard equipment.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Come on guys, you are slowing down. Nobody noticed the HUD?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Maximized
Come on guys, you are slowing down. Nobody noticed the HUD?
....yeah! GM is mindful of the occassions when enemy MiGs strafe our interstates.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

....yeah! GM is mindful of the occassions when enemy MiGs strafe our interstates.
My friend has one on his C5 and I love it. You never have to look away from the road to check you gauges. The C5's system has a shift "light" as well.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
The hair says it all

laughing in class at that one
Old 03-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Maximized
My friend has one on his C5 and I love it. You never have to look away from the road to check you gauges. The C5's system has a shift "light" as well.
HUD is a neat feature that GM's had since the early 90s mostly via select Pontiac products. But it's just one of those neat features with relatively limited usefulness. I'd hope that it's part of navi pkg or something because I cant imagine selecting this option by itself.

BTW: I'd love the C5 with or without the HUD.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
101 years of heartache...

i dont know man, those mig-29s are too fast for GM technology. Radar or not, a Buick ain't gonna take down a MIG-29 unless it's grounded. Cadillac, though, offers the heat-seeking missle package, something worth the money.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
i dont know man, those mig-29s are too fast for GM technology. Radar or not, a Buick ain't gonna take down a MIG-29 unless it's grounded. Cadillac, though, offers the heat-seeking missle package, something worth the money.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Automotive News Mag.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Damn, that's a big ass car. Seems perfect for the trumpeted RWD V8 powered Buick flagship. I like the shape, greenhouse, etc. I just hope Buick doesn't screw up the minor details and interior. This car needs real lux touches to make it a viable Lexus alternative. And though I know they're not available, Caddy should get 7SP transmissions while Buick gets 6SPs, coupled with their respective engines, IMO.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:32 PM
MSZ
Lola

Q45 ripoff anyone?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
One possibility for a name, used by Buick on concepts before, is Lausanne.
How do you even pronounce that?

Loss Anne? Laws Anne?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
Q45 ripoff anyone?

Thats what I was thinking.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:58 PM
__

the back reminds mme of the olds aurora
Old 03-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
How do you even pronounce that?

Loss Anne? Laws Anne?
Lau - sanne

Low-zanne if my French is still good
Old 03-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Has a nice substantial look to it, think this is their last chance to release a car with a kickass ass interior, priced at 40k to go against the 300hemi. Would probably be a good idea to even push it past deville quality since that car will most likely no longer be in the segment in a couple years. The only thing I don't get is that its shorter than the Lucerne.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Safety Car

^ Yeah. This should be longer than the Lucerne, IMO.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Damn, that's a big ass car.
Yeap. It seems to me this car should be positioned more against the 300C than the GS/LS.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Yeap. It seems to me this car should be positioned more against the 300C than the GS/LS.
You think? Isn't the 300 not to far off in size from the LS. This car may be a fine alternative to the LS if the refinement, equipment, style and ride isolation is there. As far as raw size, it's looks about right.

Quick Reply: Buick Lausanne / Statesman News **Named? (page 3)**