Buick: LaCrosse News

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
the MKZ doesnt look big. its the same size as a fusion isnt it? the MKS is big.

You're right. My apologies.....I was thinking MKS, but typed MKZ.

Here are the MKS specs for the 3.7L AWD. It's bigger than the Lacrosse, which would explain why it looks so big.

Base Price
$42,760
Drivetrain
All Wheel Drive
Curb Weight (lbs)
City (MPG)
16 (2009)
Hwy (MPG)
23 (2009)
Horsepower
270 @ - TBD -
Torque (lb-ft)
265 @ - TBD -
Wheelbase (in.)
Length (in.)
Width (in.)
Height (in.)
Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
You're right. My apologies.....I was thinking MKS, but typed MKZ.

Here are the MKS specs for the 3.7L AWD. It's bigger than the Lacrosse, which would explain why it looks so big.

Base Price
$42,760
Drivetrain
All Wheel Drive
Curb Weight (lbs)
City (MPG)
16 (2009)
Hwy (MPG)
23 (2009)
Horsepower
270 @ - TBD -
Torque (lb-ft)
265 @ - TBD -
Wheelbase (in.)
Length (in.)
Width (in.)
Height (in.)
Yea thats a much better comparo.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
This is a very nice looking car, I'm just not sold on the interior, and I don't know how it drives. If it's a typical Buick, then no thanks. It's also a bit pricey, IMO, but it definitely has a very nice looking exterior. I could see myself buying this if a) it doesn't drive like a boat and b) I could get the price down.
It's not going to drive like a boat.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=176
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Saw a Lacrosse commercial last night. They're really trying to lure a younger customer. They zoomed right in on the 30-35 male that was driving the car.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Saw a Lacrosse commercial last night. They're really trying to lure a younger customer. They zoomed right in on the 30-35 male that was driving the car.
Just like with Caddy, the days of marketing the brand for the blue-hairs is over.

Caddy = BMW

Buick = MB / Lexus

^^ That's the "plan"
Old 10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

LLN Review

We can’t count the number of times we’ve applied the phrase “crucial to the automaker’s success” to a recent General Motors product, but here we go again: The 2010 Buick LaCrosse is absolutely “crucial to GM’s success.” It is. Really. Just like the Malibu before it. And the Equinox. And the Traverse. Oh, the list goes on.

Truth be told, the LaCrosse probably isn’t the most important new car introduction, simply because it is not designed to achieve the volume of those three Chevy models. What the LaCrosse must do, however, is convince the scrutinizing buyers of luxury cars – those with hefty wallets who pull quite a bit of weight – that Buick, and GM, is a world class automaker worthy of attention.

What is it?
Replacing the archaic, boggle-eyed outgoing model, the 2010 LaCrosse draws heavily from China, the place where Buicks have learned to succeed. It’s based on GM’s latest Epsilon II architecture, a thoroughly revised version of the platform that underpins the pretty darn decent Chevrolet Malibu.

The LaCrosse went to finishing school under the guidance of Opel in Germany, but it doesn’t take long to see that its inspiration was Asian.

What’s it up against?
The LaCrosse sets its sights on the Lexus ES 350. Though hardly a car that instills passion in enthusiasts, the ES 350 is considered the class leader for those seeking a roomy, reasonably-priced luxury car.

Buick would also like to see some cross-shopping of the LaCrosse against the Toyota Avalon, Acura TL, Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKZ and Chrysler 300.

Any breakthroughs?
The LaCrosse breaks no barriers, but it does move the bar a little higher for those seeking value in addition to luxury and refinement. At just under $34,000 as tested, our top-of-the-line LaCrosse CXS undercuts an equivalent Lexus ES 350 by around $5,000.

It will also undercut all of its rivals by offering a four-cylinder version later in the model year. Though the price point might help some buyers get into the model, we worry that it could water down the higher-end image Buick is trying to achieve.

How does it look?
The LaCrosse takes a handful of vintage Buick styling cues and subtly uses them to create what we found to be an attractive, cohesive design that stands out in an otherwise fairly plebeian class of vehicles.

Starting with the fascia, the LaCrosse’s face is both immediately recognizable yet refreshingly modern. Unlike its LaCrosse predecessor, the look brims with upscale touches, although the detailing is hardly original. We recognize some German influence to the headlamp design and the fog lamp surrounds, but at least Buick’s trademark portholes make a quiet display of themselves on the hood. We’re still reeling over the sight of our last Park Avenue with the hideous faux portholes emblazoned on its fenders, so we’re glad to see that Buick has found a less-obtrusive way to make the design element work.

There’s an interesting belt line that humps just before the rear door handle as it runs the length of the car. Designed the recall Buicks of yore, the wavy line adds zeal to what has traditionally been a GM sore spot: The side profile. On our test car, which was equipped with $195 worth of Carbon Metallic black paint, the crease forced light to reflect differently off of each angle. The simple design stroke works well and we hope we’ll see it on future Buick designs.

Out back, the look is attractive if a bit more Japanese in its influences. The square tailpipe exit surrounds built into the rear bumper are a nice touch, even if the small round pipes are perhaps a bit too visible inside of their finishers.

What the LaCrosse does especially well is hide its girth. It’s a large sedan, measuring 197 inches from nose to tail and standing 59.2 inches at its highest. Those numbers don’t express how high the beltline, hood and trunk lids are, and, since the designers hid this size so well, we didn’t realize it ourselves until we parked next to one of the ubiquitous Lexus ES 350s we encountered in a shopping mall parking lot. The ES 350 has a similar footprint, but its body proportions are positively econo-car compared to the big LaCrosse.

And on the inside?
Registering around 600 miles on its high-resolution digital odometer display when we received it for the beginning of our test period, our LaCrosse tester had just entered GM’s media fleet. We’re not sure how long the luxurious leather scent will last, but we are confident that it alone could sell thousands of LaCrosses. Buick’s nose people know the importance of tickling the senses.

The design departs dramatically from any Buick we’ve seen before. A thin line of reasonably convincing faux wood trim wraps the top of the dash before giving way, in the center, to a button-heavy control cluster, which cascades into the center console. After a brief acclimation to the large array of buttons, we found ourselves immediately at home; no switch required a second thought or long reach.

At first, we thought the top of our LaCrosse tester’s dashboard was wrapped in leather, but that wasn’t the case. Instead, a soft-touch urethane was given a leather-like grain and a highly-convincing French-stitched border. The theme was repeated to good effect lower on the dashboard near the knee bolsters and on the door panels. The detailing is nice touch and immediately gives the interior a more hand-tailored appearance than we’d expect from a moderately-priced sedan.

Our tester wasn’t equipped with the optional navigation system, so it received a monochrome LCD screen for radio and climate control adjustments. Standard features on the CXS model include a crystal-clear harman/kardon audio system – one of the best we’ve recently encountered – Bluetooth, a 110V outlet and a heated steering wheel. We were also surprised to see heated and cooled power front seats (with memory for the driver) as standard equipment.

Those firm leather seats were generally comfortable, although we thought the headrests pushed too far forward and we noticed that the adjustable driver’s seat lumber could never be dialed back as far as the non-adjustable lumbar support in the passenger’s seat.

The rear seat area is as roomy as you’d expect in a sedan of this size, and it’s where the 110V outlet hid. And we mean hid, since we found the only way to access it was to climb into the back seat and fumble around with our digital camera battery charger to try to get it in the downward-facing outlet.

Our only interior complaint of note centers around the weak small item storage. The center console lid opens to reveal enough room for some goodies, and the non-locking glovebox was a good size, but the small flop-down door pockets won’t hold much and there were no ashtray-size storage cubbies.

But does it go?
Buick stresses its so-called Quiet Tuning technologies, which range from enhanced sound deadening to laminated glass to keep the outside world, well, outside. For the most part, they’ve succeeded. In normal operating speeds – think below 3,500 rpm – the LaCrosse CXS’ 3.6-liter V6 was utterly silent. No longer should we use the term “Lexus quiet” to describe an absence of drivetrain rumble. Now we should say “Buick quiet.” We did notice a bit of tire slap and some very light wind noise at highway speeds, although some of that can be chalked up to our tester’s 18-inch wheels and a particularly windy week during our evaluation.

That V6 we couldn’t hear is GM’s latest direct-injected unit that sees duty in a number of the automaker’s products. Rated at 280 horsepower and 259 lb-ft. of torque in this application, it felt well matched to the six-speed 6T40 automatic transmission. The slushbox provided quick but almost imperceptible downshifts on its own, although there’s a separate gate for those who want to simulate rowing it themselves.

Although all-wheel-drive is optional on the lower-trim CXL, which comes only with a 255-pony 3.0-liter direct-injected V6, the CXS we tested is offered only in front-wheel-drive specification. We saw no evidence of torque steer, but hard cornering brought out some easily controlled understeer. The hydraulic power steering – no loosey-goosey electric stuff here – was sufficiently communicative – more so than the ES 350 we recently tested.

Where Buick’s engineers are truly to be commended is in the suspension department. A supple but not sloppy ride is exactly what we’d expect in this class – yet it’s one we rarely find. The floppy ES 350 doesn’t have it. The LaCrosse does. It won’t be firm enough to delight an enthusiast, but for a daily driver luxury sedan, the LaCrosse’s suspension fits the bill perfectly. It helps the LaCrosse excel as a highway cruiser, but it doesn’t fall apart over rough terrain or on twisty roads. That’s all we ask for in a luxury-oriented sedan, yet it seems so difficult for automakers to deliver.

Fuel economy ratings of 17 mpg city and 27 mpg highway seemed about on par for our mixed driving; no LaCrosse engine requires premium fuel.

Why you would buy it:
You currently own a Lexus ES 350 and you’re looking for something better.

Why you wouldn’t:
The Buick name scares you off.

Leftlane’s bottom line
Congratulations to General Motors and Buick on building one of the best-engineered entry-level luxury sedans on the market today. The LaCrosse is all GM needed to convince naysayers of its ability to design and manufacture a large luxury sedan that can compete with Japan’s best.

But don’t celebrate too long. We’ve visited Buick dealerships and, for the most part, they’re not going to woo any Lexus buyers away from the coddling and pampering they’re used to receiving. Without improving the dealership network, we fear this impressive sedan could be lost on the automaker’s target demographic.

2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS base price, $33,015. As tested, $33,960.
Carbon Black metallic paint, $195; Destination, $750.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-la...tml#more-21685
Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Great write up! Sounds like a fantastic car.

We’ve visited Buick dealerships and, for the most part, they’re not going to woo any Lexus buyers away from the coddling and pampering they’re used to receiving. Without improving the dealership network, we fear this impressive sedan could be lost on the automaker’s target demographic.
This couldn't be any more true. I think GM needs to start updating their dealerships now.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ No doubt, but cars first, dealer network second.
I'm sure they are working on that.....hopefully.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Hope so. With the product they are starting to turn out now they have the potential to be right up there with the best of them.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Looks like they are starting something.
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...915_870120.htm

GM Will Push Dealers to Upgrade
Dealers may get hundreds of thousand of dollars to relocate and spruce up their showrooms to better compete with import brands
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ Looks like they are starting something.
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...915_870120.htm
Hopefully they make them classy and help change the service dept to follow in lexus/bmw foot prints?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love leftlane's review. I want my dad to dump his ES so bad and get into one of these when they start rolling out.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 100%. It almost as if GM has been lost on the fact that Lexus, Jag, MB, etc., spends alot of time making sure the dealership experience is first rate for their customers. Improving the dealerships (physical buildings) in addition to the dealership experience is a MUST.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Did anyone see these comments about the LaCrosse?

Two weeks ago I wrote about GM's "May the Best Car Win" ad campaign, in which Ed Whitacre states, "Car for car, when compared to the competition, we win."

I questioned the accuracy of that claim, but in these last two weeks I've driven two all-new GM products, the 2010 Buick LaCrosse and the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox.

My experiences have confirmed GM unequivocally is making better cars today than it was just a couple years ago. Are they making "...the best cars..." that will "win" in today's ultra competitive market? Well...

My first experience in new GM product came in the Chevrolet Equinox. This car is a quantam leap forward for GM's midsize crossover efforts. The exterior styling may be a bit polarizing (I personally like it), yet in terms of comfort, control layout, interior quality, fuel efficiency and overall driving dynamics the Equinox is right there with the segment leaders.

Is it "the best car" in it's class? Close, but the Equinox we drove had an easily confounded transmission that would, literally, lock up depending on how much throttle you gave it and/or if the wheels were pointed straight or turned at the time. I'd like to think it was a quirk of our particular pre-production test car, but there's a pattern here (more on this in a moment).

However, if you ignore the transmission and write it off as a pre-production quirk the car is a worthy alternative to segment sales leaders like the CR-V and RAV4. Not the clear winner, but fully competitive.

My next all-new GM product experience came in the 2010 Buick LaCrosse over this past weekend. I'd heard good things about the LaCrosse from both fellow staffers and numerous published road tests, so I was anxious to experience the car myself. And knowing it was not a pre-production vehicle had me convinced I'd get a solid sense of how good the new Buick really is.

Within a few minutes of leaving the Edmunds.com offices it was clear something was amiss in front wheel area. Flat spotted tires? Major wheel imbalance? Faulty steering linkage? Don't know, but the speed-dependent wobble in the steering wheel was unmistakable. It was at its worst right after I started driving the LaCrosse home and gradually diminished over the next 50 miles, suggesting the flat-spotted tire scenario. However, while the vibration diminished it never completely went away after driving the car for 250 miles over the course of four days.

This was a subtle vibration (after it diminished a bit) and one many customers might not even notice. But for a car, and a division, trying to copete with the likes of Lexus (and using terms like "quiet tuning") it's doesn't help make Mr. Whitacre's claim.

I was prepared to write the steering wheel vibration off as (another) test car quirk and not count it against the Buick. On my 50-mile drive home I basked in the LaCrosse's excellent iPhone interface, capable audio system, roomy interior and comfortable seating. By the time I pulled into the driveway and shut the car off I was starting to think GM had a definite player on its hands.

Then the car wouldn't let me out.

I pulled on the LaCrosse's interior door release and nothing happened. I pulled again. Nothing. I checked the lock plunger at the top of the door and it looked to be in the "up" position, but I hit the key fob's lock/unlock buttons and watched it go down and up, just to be sure. The car still wouldn't let me out.

Next I checked the ignition status to confirm it was off (the LaCrosse uses a push-button start system instead of a key). A car shouldn't have to be completely shut off before it lets you out, but whatever. The ignition seemed to be in the off mode, but I started and stopped the engine again just to be sure. Still nothing. I pulled the door release again and shoved my body against it. Nothing.

Finally I hit the electric lock and unlock bottons on the keyfob (again) and started and stopped the engine (again). The first pull on the door release did nothing (and yes, it was already unlocked), but the second one popped the door open as if nothing was ever wrong. I was free!!

The whole process couldn't have taken more than a minute. The LaCrosse uses an electronic door release mechanism and clearly the sensor for the interior release is faulty. It was mildly annoying, but I wrote it off as (another) quirk and almost forgot about it.

The next day, as I drove into work, I got an opportunity to pass a vehicle on Malibu Canyon Road. The passing zones are pretty short on this road, but one opened up and I floored the throttle. The transmission completely froze for about a second, then I heard it downshifting and the car was just about to launch forward (at least two seconds after flooring it) before I lost confidence in the manuever and backed off the throttle.

I got to work still generally impressed with the vehicle overall...and the car wouldn't let me out again. I went through all of the above actions again...and again...and again. After about two minutes of failing to open the driver's door I climbed over the center console and got out on the passenger side. It happened again when I got home that night, but by now I'd come up with a new exit method that proved effective and less physically demanding: lower the driver's window, reach out and pull on the exterior door release.

Okay, so if the Equinox's transmission confusion was a pre-production quirk, what's up with the LaCrosse transmission? Another quirk unique to the test car? Maybe, but our other test car had the same issue. Our long-term Pontiac G8 freaked out more than once when I floored it, too (which is weird because that rear-wheel-drive car's transmission has nothing in common with the Equinox of LaCrosse). Of course our last LaCrosse didn't occasionally hold drivers hostage, and nobody complained of steering wheel virbration, so maybe my test car really was cursed.

I'll be honest, I really want GM to make cars that win its self-imposed "May the best car win" challenge.

And the newest models almost can. But after the past 30 years (not to mention the past 12 months) GM can't "almost" win, they have to surpass the competition so convincingly that potential buyers will forget the past (distant and recent).

I like the new Equinox and the LaCrosse. But, based on my personal experiences, I'm still not convinced.

Have you driven the newest GM product, and if so, are you?
http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/2009/1...ge-almost.html
Old 10-12-2009, 05:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Did anyone see these comments about the LaCrosse?

Two weeks ago I wrote about GM's "May the Best Car Win" ad campaign, in which Ed Whitacre states, "Car for car, when compared to the competition, we win."

I questioned the accuracy of that claim, but in these last two weeks I've driven two all-new GM products, the 2010 Buick LaCrosse and the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox.

My experiences have confirmed GM unequivocally is making better cars today than it was just a couple years ago. Are they making "...the best cars..." that will "win" in today's ultra competitive market? Well...

My first experience in new GM product came in the Chevrolet Equinox. This car is a quantam leap forward for GM's midsize crossover efforts. The exterior styling may be a bit polarizing (I personally like it), yet in terms of comfort, control layout, interior quality, fuel efficiency and overall driving dynamics the Equinox is right there with the segment leaders.

Is it "the best car" in it's class? Close, but the Equinox we drove had an easily confounded transmission that would, literally, lock up depending on how much throttle you gave it and/or if the wheels were pointed straight or turned at the time. I'd like to think it was a quirk of our particular pre-production test car, but there's a pattern here (more on this in a moment).

However, if you ignore the transmission and write it off as a pre-production quirk the car is a worthy alternative to segment sales leaders like the CR-V and RAV4. Not the clear winner, but fully competitive.

My next all-new GM product experience came in the 2010 Buick LaCrosse over this past weekend. I'd heard good things about the LaCrosse from both fellow staffers and numerous published road tests, so I was anxious to experience the car myself. And knowing it was not a pre-production vehicle had me convinced I'd get a solid sense of how good the new Buick really is.

Within a few minutes of leaving the Edmunds.com offices it was clear something was amiss in front wheel area. Flat spotted tires? Major wheel imbalance? Faulty steering linkage? Don't know, but the speed-dependent wobble in the steering wheel was unmistakable. It was at its worst right after I started driving the LaCrosse home and gradually diminished over the next 50 miles, suggesting the flat-spotted tire scenario. However, while the vibration diminished it never completely went away after driving the car for 250 miles over the course of four days.

This was a subtle vibration (after it diminished a bit) and one many customers might not even notice. But for a car, and a division, trying to copete with the likes of Lexus (and using terms like "quiet tuning") it's doesn't help make Mr. Whitacre's claim.

I was prepared to write the steering wheel vibration off as (another) test car quirk and not count it against the Buick. On my 50-mile drive home I basked in the LaCrosse's excellent iPhone interface, capable audio system, roomy interior and comfortable seating. By the time I pulled into the driveway and shut the car off I was starting to think GM had a definite player on its hands.

Then the car wouldn't let me out.

I pulled on the LaCrosse's interior door release and nothing happened. I pulled again. Nothing. I checked the lock plunger at the top of the door and it looked to be in the "up" position, but I hit the key fob's lock/unlock buttons and watched it go down and up, just to be sure. The car still wouldn't let me out.

Next I checked the ignition status to confirm it was off (the LaCrosse uses a push-button start system instead of a key). A car shouldn't have to be completely shut off before it lets you out, but whatever. The ignition seemed to be in the off mode, but I started and stopped the engine again just to be sure. Still nothing. I pulled the door release again and shoved my body against it. Nothing.

Finally I hit the electric lock and unlock bottons on the keyfob (again) and started and stopped the engine (again). The first pull on the door release did nothing (and yes, it was already unlocked), but the second one popped the door open as if nothing was ever wrong. I was free!!

The whole process couldn't have taken more than a minute. The LaCrosse uses an electronic door release mechanism and clearly the sensor for the interior release is faulty. It was mildly annoying, but I wrote it off as (another) quirk and almost forgot about it.

The next day, as I drove into work, I got an opportunity to pass a vehicle on Malibu Canyon Road. The passing zones are pretty short on this road, but one opened up and I floored the throttle. The transmission completely froze for about a second, then I heard it downshifting and the car was just about to launch forward (at least two seconds after flooring it) before I lost confidence in the manuever and backed off the throttle.

I got to work still generally impressed with the vehicle overall...and the car wouldn't let me out again. I went through all of the above actions again...and again...and again. After about two minutes of failing to open the driver's door I climbed over the center console and got out on the passenger side. It happened again when I got home that night, but by now I'd come up with a new exit method that proved effective and less physically demanding: lower the driver's window, reach out and pull on the exterior door release.

Okay, so if the Equinox's transmission confusion was a pre-production quirk, what's up with the LaCrosse transmission? Another quirk unique to the test car? Maybe, but our other test car had the same issue. Our long-term Pontiac G8 freaked out more than once when I floored it, too (which is weird because that rear-wheel-drive car's transmission has nothing in common with the Equinox of LaCrosse). Of course our last LaCrosse didn't occasionally hold drivers hostage, and nobody complained of steering wheel virbration, so maybe my test car really was cursed.

I'll be honest, I really want GM to make cars that win its self-imposed "May the best car win" challenge.

And the newest models almost can. But after the past 30 years (not to mention the past 12 months) GM can't "almost" win, they have to surpass the competition so convincingly that potential buyers will forget the past (distant and recent).

I like the new Equinox and the LaCrosse. But, based on my personal experiences, I'm still not convinced.

Have you driven the newest GM product, and if so, are you?
http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/2009/1...ge-almost.html
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree with Karl from Edmunds. I looked at a LaCrosse, and in person I wasn't really wooed by the styling (it looked awkward in person), and the drive wasn't up to Lexus standards yet. I think GM is close to producing top tier vehicles but there not there yet. The LaCrosse lacked a refinement that Toyota/Honda/European automakers have nearly perfected in their vehicles.

I'm more impressed by Ford's efforts. The Taurus is a really nice drive for a big sedan, and it doesn't have a quirky unrefined transmission.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I would rather buy a Genesis (yes it's even bigger) than the Lacrosse as much as I like the Buick.

The Hyundai is just a better car.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That latest article is a little disconcerting.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If those are not isolated incidents...GM has a problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb ES Competitor; Not TL

Our road test for the 2011 Buick LaCrosse includes a full evaluation of the 2011 Buick LaCrosse from the inside out. We evaluate not only engine and handling performance for the 2011 Buick LaCrosse, but also interior cabin and cargo space. Let our comprehensive road test ratings for the 2011 Buick LaCrosse help you decide if a 2011 Buick LaCrosse is right for you.

ACCELERATION
CX 4-cylinder CXL 4-cylinder CXS w/Touring Pkg, navigation Class Average
3 3 6 4.3

The 4-cylinder engine is smooth but not at all powerful. It delivers adequate go from a stop, but it quickly runs out of steam. The 3.6-liter V6 is robust, with plenty of reserve power. Regardless of engine, the transmission is silky smooth. Shift behavior is generally good with the 4-cylinder, though we notice some occasional lurching when the car downshifts. With the V6, it's sometimes hesitant to downshift when more power is needed.

FUEL ECONOMY
7 7 6 3.7

In Consumer Guide testing, a 4-cylinder CX averaged 25.3 mpg in city/highway driving. Our extended-use CXL 4-cylinder is averaging 25.8 mpg over its first 2,704 miles. A CXS, which has the V6, averaged 26.4 in a test consisting of mostly highway travel. Another CXS averaged 21.6 mpg with a more even mix of city and highway driving. LaCrosse uses regular-grade gas.

RIDE QUALITY
9 8 6 5.4

With the standard suspension and 17-inch wheels, the 4-cylinder CX is among the best in class. It has a great combination of comfort and control. CXL versions ride on 18-inch wheels. They're a bit firmer than the CX, but not annoyingly so. Most bumps are smothered with ease, and LaCrosse's solid body structure prevents the car from feeling floaty on the highway. Available only on the CXS, the Touring Package includes larger wheels and tires with a driver-selectable "sport mode" that, when engaged, tweaks the steering, transmission, and suspension for more-spirited driving. Ride quality suffers in sport mode, with larger road irregularities registering with pronounced thuds.

STEERING/HANDLING/BRAKING
6 6 7 4.1

Not what you would call sporty, but LaCrosse handles well, with assuring competence. Even in standard form, the car is more nimble than you would expect given its size. CXS with Touring Package has sharper moves, but the incremental agility gain is a poor trade-off given the package's detrimental impact on ride quality.

QUIETNESS
8 8 7 5.7

LaCrosse is impressively hushed overall. The Touring Package's tires are somewhat noisy on coarse pavement. During acceleration, the 4-cylinder engine is a bit raspy. The V6 is more refined. Both fade into silence while cruising.

CONTROLS
7 7 6 4.8

Large gauges and dials are well marked and easy to read at a glance. Controls are mostly large and clearly marked, though some less-frequently used buttons suffer from look-alike syndrome and can be difficult to decipher at a glance. Testers are divided on the optional head-up display. Some find it useful, others a distraction. The available navigation system absorbs audio functions. Its large, clear graphics are helpful, but some functions are not as intuitive as they should be.

DETAILS
8 8 8 5.1

Regardless of trim level, LaCrosse's handsome cabin is finished in rich, well-textured materials with careful assembly. One test car suffered from persistent rattles from the steering column.

ROOM/COMFORT/DRIVER SEATING (FRONT)
8 8 8 6

Plenty of space for most folks, though headroom is tight for those much over 6-feet tall. Seats lack side bolstering, though given LaCrosse's lack of sporting pretense, that's not much of an issue. Visibility is mixed. The view aft is OK, but thick front roof pillars obscure vision to the corners.

ROOM/COMFORT (REAR)
7 7 7 5.1

There's generous legroom for most adults, though knee space is limited behind taller front-seat occupants. Headroom is marginal for 6-footers, and low-cut door openings mean taller passengers have to duck deeply to enter or exit the rear compartment. The doors are fairly long, which can make access a little difficult in tight spaces.

CARGO ROOM
4 4 4 3.1

A small trunk opening and high liftover restrict access to an otherwise deep and spacious storage area. The rear seat backs are split 60/40 and include a center pass through for skis. Interior storage is not very good. The center console is quite small, and the front-door pockets are all but useless.

VALUE WITHIN CLASS
9 10 7 5.2

Buick claims to target both the Acura TL and Lexus ES 350 with LaCrosse, but in reality it is only the Lexus that has been successfully challenged. Though lacking the TL's sporty nature, LaCrosse matches the more sedate ES in cabin and drivetrain refinement, and surpasses it in available passenger space. LaCrosse is an excellent choice, with the CX and a modestly equipped CXL representing the best dollar values. Those versions earn our Best Buy designation.

Total Score
76 76 72 52.5

Total Score: 75
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
:meh:

Last edited by biker; 05-13-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
I spent some time in the LaCrosse while my aunt was buying her Enclave. I was impressed with the car for what it is: a Lexus ES alternative.

It's not a TL competitor But Lexus sells a buttload of ES's and Buick obviously wants a slice of the pie.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post 303hp FWD

DETROIT -- General Motors said today that the 2012 Buick LaCrosse will get a more powerful version of its direct-injected, V-6 engine when the sedan goes on sale this summer.

The engine will deliver 303 hp, up 23 hp from the current version. It will be available on most trim levels at no extra cost from the LaCrosse's standard 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder engine with GM's eAssist mild hybrid stop-start system.

Despite the added power, the new engine will deliver the same fuel economy as the current V-6: 17 mpg city/27 highway.

GM is using "lighter-weight components and enhancements to improve the engine's performance, efficiency and durability," Tom Sutter, global V-6 engineer, said in a statement.

The engine is made of a lighter-weight aluminum alloy. A new cylinder-head design has larger intake valves and longer-duration intake camshafts. Holding open the larger valves longer pulls more air into the combustion chamber, producing more power.

The 2012 LaCrosse will be the first GM vehicle to get eAssist, which combines a lithium ion battery and an electric motor-generator that enables regenerative braking.

The powertrain will generate 182 hp and get 25 mpg city/37 highway, GM estimates, up from 19 mpg city/30 highway on the 2011 model.

LaCrosse sales are down 7% this year, to 23,362 units, through May.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Race Director

The 2012 LaCrosse will be the first GM vehicle to get eAssist, which combines a lithium ion battery and an electric motor-generator that enables regenerative braking.
To the lay person this sounds a lot like hybrid but I guess "eAssist" sounds better?
Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Spill the Sangria: Buick Unveils Ultra Luxury Package for LaCrosse, Could Spread to Other Models

While Buick has made news by reaching down into the compact and subcompact segments with its Verano sedan and Encore crossover, the brand is also nudging upward, ever so slowly. First comes this fancy Ultra Luxury interior package for the 2014 model year on its strong-selling Lacrosse, and the high-zoot treatment may soon be applied to more Buicks, most likely those wearing Enclave badges.

At this point, the fancy-pants interior is available in only one color scheme: deep “sangria” and black. The cabin is swathed in soft semi-aniline leather below shoulder level, with a nappy synthetic suede headliner above, while dark-veined Tamo Ash wood—yes, real wood—and chrome dress up the dash, doors, and center console. The asking price for the upgrade is $2495. It’s a very nice treatment—if very purple, which is said to be a hot new trend this year—but, interestingly, the color combo is not offered in China, where the LaCrosse interior was designed and where the car is extremely popular as a luxury livery vehicle.

Don’t be surprised to see additional color schemes added to the Ultra Luxury palette in the future, using the same premium materials, and for it to appear elsewhere in the lineup. “We’re looking at it for future models,” said a spokesman, who added that it makes the most sense for higher-end vehicles like the LaCrosse and Enclave versus the Regal, Verano, and Encore.

When asked about what other high-end aspirations Buick has, we got little we haven’t heard before: “We’re continuing to look at the portfolio . . . and explore and push the boundaries of the brand.” How much further could Buick push itself? Rumors continue to swirl regarding more GS variants, rear-drive Grand National/GNX models, and the possible addition an Opel Cascada–based convertible to the lineup. So watch this space.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Azine Jabroni

Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Race Director

rear-drive Grand National/GNX models
Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by biker
I found that significantly more interesting about this article.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Race Director

^ with Holden Australia shutting down in a couple of years, the SS and other RWD derivatives' production will have to move to the US. When that happens, making a Buick version may not be out of the question - though a long shot.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
The photos of the interior materials look nice.

Buick makes pretty decent cars but are too expensive.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/02/...t-that-sporty/

New look is more show than go

The 2019 Buick LaCrosse Sport Touring is presumably a new, sportier version of Buick's large sedan. And on the surface, it does look more exciting. It has less chrome trim than its counterparts, the grille gets a body color surround and a black wire mesh insert. It has a simple little spoiler at the back, 19-inch wheels, and the all-important badging. We can't imagine Ford is thrilled at the use of the "ST" nomenclature on display at the back, though.

Unfortunately, Buick hasn't really done anything to actually make this car sportier than other LaCrosse sedans. It has the same 3.6-liter V6 found in other versions making the same 310 horsepower and 268 pound-feet of torque. That power goes through the same nine-speed automatic as the others, too. Additionally, the Sport Touring is only available with front-wheel drive.

Still, if you like the style, and the LaCrosse's standard performance is suitable to you, you'll want to know how much it costs. Base price is $41,220. You'll also have a choice of five colors: white, black, red, and two kinds of silver. And if the LaCrosse ST isn't sporty enough for you, you might want to check out the Regal GS. It has the same engine, but with a bit more torque, all-wheel drive, is in a smaller body, and has hatchback versatility.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Looks a bit like a CLA in the front/headlights.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:13 AM
Race Director

The Buick brand in the United States now exclusively consists of crossovers and SUVs, but traditional sedans are still part of the lineup in China. The latest generation of the LaCrosse now debuts as the marque's flagship four-door.

The new LaCrosse wears Buick's Pure Design styling language. The exterior design features a broad, trapezoidal grille. Stacked headlights are on the outer edges and LED running lights are above them. The flanks feature soft sculpting. The rear has full-width taillights with a sharp appearance that echoes the DRLs.

The Avenir version in these photos features matrix adaptive headlights with 222 LEDs. Nine illumination modes can alter the high and low beams to match the conditions. When the vehicle senses the owner's wireless phone key a welcome animation lights up the headlamps, taillights, and door handle lights.

The LaCrosse's interior features the Buick Virtual Cockpit System that includes a 30-inch curved display with a 6K resolution. It supports over-the-air updates for multiple modules. The cantilevered center console has a built-in charging pad on top, and the lower portion creates a large storage area between the front seats. Buick touts using high-end elements like laser-brushed trim and French double stitching.

The Avenir's cabin features seats with heating, ventilation, and massage function. There are also 121 LEDs for accent lighting.

Buick didn't outline the LaCrosse's powertrain range in the debut announcement. Earlier info from China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology indicated the sedan was getting a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder making 237 hp.

The LaCrosse left the United States after the 2019 model year. There's no indication that Buick plans to bring the new sedan to the US.
Next-Gen Buick LaCrosse With 30-Inch Infotainment Screen Debuts In China (motor1.com)
Old 05-07-2023, 06:15 AM
Race Director