Buick: Enclave News

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
The sad thing is, its just a fucking SUV.

The rest of the Buick line-up blows.
Sorry, if you haven't seen the Lucerne, you should ... It looks good on the outside and the interior is good too.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Sorry, if you haven't seen the Lucerne, you should ... It looks good on the outside and the interior is good too.
I have seen that. The exterior is your typical boring Buick, and that interior...well, reusing most of the Impala parts aren't going to help.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by MSZ
I have seen that. The exterior is your typical boring Buick, and that interior...well, reusing most of the Impala parts aren't going to help.
OK. Whatever
Old 01-10-2006, 06:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ

You have a point, but if this is the shape of Buick to come in terms of exterior and interior designs....then look-out!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ

I don't think so. But I feel ur frustration. That's why I think this SUV has gotten such positive response from the members of this forum. It's kind of like a myth; that GM can build class leading, standard bearing vehicles... but there aren't many examples of it. Cars like Corvette shouldn't count. This concept is so good, it looks to set the mark. It oozes style, luxury, refinement, and it's a Buick. It's totally unique, and American. Like you said, it's sad. But only in the fact that more Buick (and GM in general should) have product THIS FUCKIN' GOOD. The only real problems I have with Buick right now are the Ranier and Rendevous (replaced by this, the pinnacle of lux SUVs), and the Terraza (it's wrong on so many levels). The Lacrosse is a good vehicle, with attractive looks and a nice interior; but it's mediocre. The Lucerne is a hell of a good shot, and should have be THE car to put Buick back in the game. It's really nice, but not great. I'm hoping the next gen will be. This SUV, is the product that will put Buick back on the map. Hence, the excitement. I love Buick and and I think this is the step in the right direction.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm extremely impressed. I came into this thread expecting the worst but I'm definitley blown away
Old 01-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
OT: The thing with the Lacrosse and the Lucerne is that they are great directions for Buick's future, but I felt they could've done more. You sit in a Lexus ES330 and you feel as if you're driving a car that costs twice as much. You just don't get that in either the Lacrosse or the Lucerne. The fake wood isn't necessarily a bad thing, but real wood would've made for a better luxury ambience. When I first saw the Lucerne, its size was immediately noticeable. This was one imposing sedan. But when I sat in the interior, I wasn't feeling as if I was sitting inside an imposing sedan that was seemingly made for the affluent.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:54 PM
MSZ
Lola

OK. Whatever
So you like Lucerne? I rather have the Impala SS...at least its V8 is far better than that decades old Northstar V8.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
OT: The thing with the Lacrosse and the Lucerne is that they are great directions for Buick's future, but I felt they could've done more. You sit in a Lexus ES330 and you feel as if you're driving a car that costs twice as much. You just don't get that in either the Lacrosse or the Lucerne. The fake wood isn't necessarily a bad thing, but real wood would've made for a better luxury ambience. When I first saw the Lucerne, its size was immediately noticeable. This was one imposing sedan. But when I sat in the interior, I wasn't feeling as if I was sitting inside an imposing sedan that was seemingly made for the affluent.
I agree 100%. The cars are a great stepping stone, but they didn't "move" me. The fake wood is horrible (not the quality; the fact that they used it). If they really want to be seen as a luxury maker, they've got to get rid of the stuff. Along with quite a few more things. The Lucerne is the very best sedan that could have possibly been made (save, the fuckin' powertrain). But with the proper materials, platform, powertrain, etc., results in this concept. Now all the need to do is get the same things for three sedans, and a halo (the Velite would be PERFECT, IMO).
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MSZ
So you like Lucerne? I rather have the Impala SS...at least its V8 is far better than that decades old Northstar V8.
It's unfair to criticize the N* because of it's age. It's up to date will all of the latest technologies, etc. I'll admit, after some time, it's always good for a major overhaul; but the N* has never been a less than excellent engine. Coincedentally, a new version will be introduced @ 4.7L very soon.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by MSZ
Yeah, a FWD V8 coupe is definitely the way to go ...
Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

Impala is a sedan, Monte Carlo is a coupe.

The sooner Buick loses the Rainier, the Rendezvous, and the Terraza, the better. I don't know how many you guys see, but in the northern Detroit suburbs, they're like a disease, along with the Aztek.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:37 AM
MSZ
Lola

Impala is a sedan.

Thats why the Buick line-up right now is laughable. Give those cars a upscale interior + AWD won't hurt, if they really want to add some fresh air into the Buick brand.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks awesome, it's good to see buick move in the right direction.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MSZ
Impala is a sedan.

Thats why the Buick line-up right now is laughable. Give those cars a upscale interior + AWD won't hurt, if they really want to add some fresh air into the Buick brand.
They really need RWD. I don't care if it's Zeta, Sigma-Lite, Zeta light... but that's what they need.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Buick Enclave features leather, wood; Lexus RX 330 is a target - - Jamie LaReau - - Source: AUtomotive News

DETROIT - The Buick Enclave crossover concept vehicle shown at the Detroit auto show is "99 percent" similar to the production version, says Robert Lutz, GM's vice chairman and global product chief.

One difference: The concept version seats six; the production version will seat seven.

Ed Welburn, GM's vice president of global design, says the Enclave's new interior style, called "Heritage Forward," uses wood and leather and has adjustable individual seats. Like Buick's new Lucerne sedan, the Enclave has the brand's signature portholes in the front fenders.

Steve Shannon, Buick general manager, says, "The Enclave's SUV-like shape and handling will be key selling points. Then when you add Buick's quietness and tuning - nobody has anything quite like it."

The concept version has 21-inch tires and seven-spoke wheels. It has a 3.6-liter engine with dual-overhead camshafts and variable valve timing. The 270-hp engine is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and features all-wheel drive and four-wheel independent suspension.

The production Enclave replaces the Rendezvous and Rainier. It is expected to go on sale in early 2007. It is being developed on the Lambda vehicle architecture.

Shannon wouldn't discuss pricing but said competitors likely will include the Lexus RX 330 and Acura MDX. The RX 330 retails at $38,465, and the MDX is priced at $37,740. Both prices include shipping.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

"99" Percent similar to the production version is right on target. Just put in a bench (for seating for seven), take out some of the concept only features, give it 18s or 19s instead of 21s, and go with it.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Enclave aims to take Buick upscale - - Crossover will replace Rainier, Rendezvous in '07 - - Laura Clark Geist | | Automotive News / June 9, 2006 - 9:07 am - - Source: Autonews.com

GRAND BLANC, Mich. -- General Motors will phase out Buick's Rendezvous and Rainier next spring and replace them with the near-luxury Enclave crossover.

Brian Bowden, Buick's marketing director, said the Enclave will be a 2008 model and will be sold alongside remaining 2007 Rendezvous and Raniers.

GM plans to end production of the Rendezvous crossover at the end of 2006 at the Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, plant. Production of the Rainier SUV at GM's Moraine, Ohio, plant is expected to end next summer.

GM plans to build the Enclave at its new Delta Township plant near Lansing, Mich., on the Lambda crossover architecture. Other Lambda vehicles will be the 2007 Saturn Outlook and the 2008 Chevrolet Acadia.

Bowden said Rainier sales will be absorbed by its platform mate, the GMC Envoy.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

^ I love the Enclave concept. If they bring it to market it largely as is, it'll definitely make a huge splash. ... and do for Buick what the Lucerne hasn't been able to do...
Old 06-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Pinky all stinky

The Enclave exterior is very good, I love the modernized Buick theme. But when they start hooting and raving about the Lucerne's interior, I fear for the Enclave should it walk down that same path. GM has nothing to be proud of in the Lucerne's interior. It's a dull design, and the materials aren't even top notch, they're nowhere near Lexus in this department still (material-wise that is, I think the new ES's interior is poorly designed as well; prefer the outoging model's).
Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Kabachitare!

Look like a Lexus RX that has been eating at McDonalds every day.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:01 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This vehicle is a lot more substantial-looking and overall better looking live. I was very impressed when I saw it at the chicago auto show.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Buick Enclave Concept - - A return to elegance? - - By KEVIN A. WILSON - - Source: Autoweek.com

Design, it is often said around Detroit, is the road to recovery for the domestic industry. An automaker with a solid base of loyal customers might get away with a dull design that sells on brand-name reputation alone, but if in trying to overcome a dulled image—or retrieve lost customers—it all has to start with eye-catching design.

To that end, two of Detroit’s historic luxury brands rolled out design concepts at the North American International Auto Show striving to restore a sense of luxury and elegance to their marques: The Buick Enclave crossover utility is a thinly veiled preview of a production model coming in 2007, while the Chrysler Imperial concept represents yet another effort to define a halo car for that brand. After this year’s round of domestic auto shows ended in April, these concepts were made available to the press in the outdoors for the first time.

The Buick Enclave concept car wasn’t running the day we went to drive it, during a short period when it had finished its rounds in auto show displays but had not yet begun touring golf tournaments as it will this summer. A part had broken, and—being a one-off show machine with no parts inventory on hand—it was disabled just long enough to keep us out of the driver’s seat.

This was not quite as big a problem as you might imagine. Much as we prefer to see cars in motion, this one isn’t really so much a driver’s vehicle as one to look at, admire, sit in, talk about. Sure, it’s got the “high-feature” variable valve timing twin-cam 3.6-liter V6 (good for an estimated 270 hp), six-speed automatic and all-wheel drive, but we can wait to experience those in the production models (which will also offer a V8 option).

The point here is the design. Enclave is the design icon for Buicks going forward, and an elegant statement it is, one that has been well-received everywhere it has gone since being revealed at the Detroit show in January. From its dark-nickel-finished waterfall grille, through the portholes on the hood and back to the tailgate proudly emblazoned with the Buick tri-shield, it sets the bar high for a future of Buicks that aim to restore the marque’s luster in the near-luxury battleground.

So our disappointment that it wasn’t running had more to do with being unable to get it out from under a tent and see daylight reflecting off its surfaces.

Those surfaces, explained Mike Kutcher, program manager for the concept car, are exactly those of the production model. “We had to build this one in a hurry—it was scheduled into our auto show program late in the game—but we were working from production math. The surfaces were all defined; we just had to execute it. It’s fiberglass rather than metal, but it’s the finished styling.”

Some exterior trim may differ from what you see on the show car, but you’re looking at the shape that will appear in showrooms this fall. Similarly, the interior has a lot of handwork in it—wood trim done by carpenters, French-stitched leather—that reflects Buick’s aims in terms of fine detailing and precision, but won’t be exactly replicated in production.

The word “enclave” represents an enclosure, a retreat if you will, from the surrounding world. Inside an enclave one might find religious monks, an ethnic group, or a family choosing to shut themselves in and the rest out. The Enclave has six seats, each of them designed to provide private space for its occupant, so while the vehicle as a whole promises the isolated, calm retreat many seek on the road, each seating position might be regarded as an enclave of its own.

“Passengering” in the Enclave may turn out to be as special an experience as piloting it has the potential to be. Under the panoramic glass roof, each of the four rear positions has its own DVD player (the one for the front seat shares its screen with the navigation system and works only with the vehicle stopped and with the transmission in Park). The screens for the center seats are overhead and mounted on a bar that travels in a track above the windows, so they can be moved rearward to serve the rearmost seats. We thought this was just a concept car trick, but Buick says this feature will be “significant” (whatever that means) when we see the production model.

Kutcher noted many of the metal-finished surfaces inside and out played with a contrast of bright-finished chrome against a brushed-aluminum look, often on the same part (exterior and interior door handles, wheels, etc.). The four back seats all have access to their own tray tables, rather like those on a first-class airline seat (or a Jaguar Vanden Plas), and the seatbacks also have their own buckled, leather portfolios attached. These latter are not production features—expect more ordinary storage arrangements there.

Still, the Enclave, as big as a Mercedes R-Class, should be the standout design among the three vehicles built on this platform (the others are the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia). If the final execution is undertaken with the same level of attention to detail and indeed, pride in one’s workmanship that is evident in the show car, Buick will have raised itself a notch, from matching its Lucerne up against the Toyota Avalon to going head to head with the best-selling Lexus RX series.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

^ Hot ass SUV. This has the MDX and RDX squarely in it's crosshairs, and I think it'll do well against them. I agree with the articl... as I've said, this Enclave truly elevates Buick to a Lexus compeititor for the first time; the Lucerne coudn't do that.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:56 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That interior looks fantastic! Jesus, GM is on a roll with these SUVs. *pats GM on back*
Old 06-10-2006, 04:17 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kansaiwalker1
Look like a Lexus RX that has been eating at McDonalds every day.

rear = vw touareg
Old 06-10-2006, 04:19 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 06-10-2006, 04:51 PM
how handsome I am

dang, it does look like a toureg... better, but similar
Old 06-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I dunno, I think the toureg is pretty plain jane SUV in the back. The enclave has a lot more lines (or should I say, curves).
Old 06-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Notice the design of the rear windshield and its resemblance to the Alfa 147 (which has been out for at least 2 years now, probably 3)

Old 06-10-2006, 11:29 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yah you're right gav, pretty striking. Nevertheless, I think this effort totally comes together and will be a hit for GM
Old 06-11-2006, 07:12 AM
hail to the victors

the curve reminds me of azera and some 07 santa fe. looks very very good IMO.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

Built in Michigan is a plus for a Buick, even if it's not from Flint.
Next spring is a long time, though. Just cut off production of
the Fuglyvous now!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chungkopi
the curve reminds me of azera and some 07 santa fe. looks very very good IMO.

Yeah. The curve there is similar to the Azera's. But I think Buick (and Hyundai) took, inpiration from Buick's own Lacrosse for that rear kick in the fender. Either way, it looks great on the Enclave.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, that interior looks nice!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt

rear = vw touareg
The Enclave is a clear evolution of the Buick Centieme concept of 2003.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

WOW! That interoir looks amazing for a GM product.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Pinky all stinky

It's a concept, though. GM has some good interiors in their concept models. The Buick convertible concept had a nice interior, as well as the Caddy 16 concept.

I'm normally a fan of wood, but in the Enclave's concept interior, I think there is too much wood going on. But the rest of the interior is amazing.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy photos: 2008 Buick Enclave - - Source: http://blogs.edmunds.com/

Last week, it was the 2007 GMC Acadia, this week the 2008 Buick Enclave. Spotted on public streets in Michigan, this Enclave prototype shows just how close the production vehicle will adhere to the concept. Built on the same platform as its GMC and Saturn cousins, the Enclave is expected to go on sale next spring.

Quick Reply: Buick: Enclave News