BMW: Z4 News

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
People will buy BMWs regardless of price. BMW has achieved that pinnacle where price isn’t nearly as important as status.

That, and seeing as a good portion of the country is living for pay day to pay day (https://www.debt.com/edu/personal-finance-statistics/ )

What’s tacking on another 8-10k on something they couldn’t afford before, or now? All they’ll do is extend their finance terms to as long as possible to make the purchase.

Don’t get me wrong- I know there are plenty of people who can afford these cars. But there are likely even more who can’t, who still go for them.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

Saving statistics

• A 2018 survey from Bankrate revealed that (Numbers match what Debt.com previously reported.)
    • Only 39% of Americans could have enough savings to cover a $1,000 emergency
    • 44 % couldn’t cover a $400 out-of-pocket emergency expense
Old 12-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
^ i dont know how accurate those stats are.... $10k might be difficult for some but i dont believe 60% of the country can't come up with $1,000 or 44% cant come up with $400.

Wait, are you talking about your Canada?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
^ i dont know how accurate those stats are.... $10k might be difficult for some but i dont believe 60% of the country can't come up with $1,000 or 44% cant come up with $400.

Wait, are you talking about your Canada?
I'd believe it. I know enough people in that exact situation.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sad reality is that there are more people out there than we think making minimum wage, or close to it. Takes a while to save up $1,000 even while limiting spending when your wages are that low.

Then there's people like this one guy I know who is aiming to make $200k within the next 2-3 years and he complains about being broke
Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-drive-review/

The four-cylinder BMW Z4 is an exercise in 'less is more'

Or, why driving the 2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i makes me sad we won’t get a four-cylinder Toyota Supra in the US.

The new Z4 is a return to form for BMW. When I drove the twin-turbocharged, six-cylinder M40i version last year, I said it was one of the company's "best-executed sports cars yet." Following a quick sampling of the less-powerful Z4 sDrive30i last week, I'm pleased to say that praise extends to this four-cylinder model, as well. And in fact, for a number of reasons, I actually like the 30i more.

Powering the Z4 sDrive30i is the same 2.0-liter, turbocharged, four-cylinder engine that's found in a whole bunch of other new BMWs, and it's a real sweetheart. It's part of the reason why I prefer the 2019 330i to its more powerful M340i sibling. With a bit of extra boost, this engine turns the otherwise milquetoast X2 into the super-entertaining M35i.

In the Z4, this engine produces 255 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Yes, that's 127 fewer horsepower and 74 fewer pound-feet than the twin-turbo I6 used in the Z4 M40i, but in action, the 30i doesn't feel underpowered. BMW says the Z4 sDrive30i does the 0-60 mile-per-hour dash in a quick 5.2 seconds -- 1.3 seconds slower than the M40i. But the seat-of-the-pants feeling as I stomp the throttle and take off down an empty farm road near Thermal, California is in no way lackluster. Peak torque arrives at just 1,500 rpm and remains strong up past 4,000. Mid-range punch is impressive. The eight-speed automatic transmission drops a gear or two with immediacy, and you're plunged right back into the deep end of that torque pool.

The smaller engine means the Z4 sDrive30i is 156 pounds lighter than its M40i sibling, and all that weight comes right off the nose. Pop the hood and you'll notice the I4 engine is nestled as far back toward the firewall as possible, helping to achieve a perfect 50:50 weight balance.

Like the M40i, the Z4 sDrive30i is really enjoyable to drive. The steering is quick to react to inputs, with lots of feedback delivered back to your palms. Chassis tuning is on the softer side of sporty, but I don't mind it on the soaking wet, pockmarked roads of California's Coachella Valley. That's especially helpful considering the car rolls on large, 19-inch wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, P255/35R19 up front and P275/35R19 out back. Not exactly the most forgiving wheel-and-tire setup.

Higher-speed track testing will surely reveal the benefits of the more powerful M40i setup, but honestly, the Z4 isn't that kind of car. It's a cruiser -- a roadster that's at its best on winding roads. Blasting down California's 111 highway near the Salton Sea, I can't say I'm missing the extra power of the twin-turbo M40i.

Practically speaking, the four-cylinder Z4 doesn't give anything up as far as comfort and amenities are concerned. The 30i's interior is just as comfy-cozy as the M40i, and still every bit as claustrophobic with the top up. (As you can see from the accompanying photos, it wasn't exactly top-down weather.) I like the way this tester's red leather seats contrast with the matte gray exterior, even if it's a bit too burlesque for some tastes. The bits of black and polished metal trim are high quality and feel great to the touch, and all vehicle controls are arranged neatly and logically. Then again, it's not like there's a whole lot of room for spread-out buttonry in the Z4's small interior.

BMW's iDrive 7 infotainment tech is along for the ride, too, with a 10.25-inch touchscreen sitting atop the dash, complemented by a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. I really like this updated system -- it's pleasing to the eye and easy to navigate, whether operated by touch or via the console-mounted knob. (You can also use gesture controls, but I never, ever, ever do.)

At no point does driving the Z4 sDrive30i feel like a compromise. It's slower than the M40i, sure, but I don't really feel like I'm missing out on some vastly different experience. Z4 M40i pricing isn't available yet, but it'll no doubt command several thousand dollars more than the 30i's $49,700 starting price. Unless you really have to have that extra I6 power, this early test makes me think the vast majority of buyers will be just as happy with the 30i.

Finally, lest you think I'd publish a BMW Z4 story without mentioning its brother from another mother, the Toyota Supra, know that my sDrive30i experience is relevant here, too. Toyota will offer BMW's 2.0-liter turbo engine in the Supra in other markets, but it won't be coming to the US -- at least, not initially. I haven't driven the Supra in twin-turbo I6 guise, but I hear it behaves a lot like the Z4 (in prototype guise, anyway). Considering that the Z4 sDrive30i gives little up in the way of driver enjoyment compared to its M40i counterpart, methinks a four-cylinder Supra might be just as desirable.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Powering the Z4 sDrive30i is the same 2.0-liter, turbocharged, four-cylinder engine that's found in a whole bunch of other new BMWs, and it's a real sweetheart. It's part of the reason why I prefer the 2019 330i to its more powerful M340i sibling. With a bit of extra boost, this engine turns the otherwise milquetoast X2 into the super-entertaining M35i.
His logic does not make sense...
Old 07-19-2021, 01:19 PM

https://www.motor1.com/news/521084/b...ped-australia/

You know the three-pedal Z4 is hard to find when press images are rarer than hen's teeth, prompting us to fire up BMW's German configurator and virtually build the roadster with the six-speed manual. It's an especially rare car Down Under where a grand total of two people bought the sporty convertible with a stick shift in two years.

It was only available on the base sDrive20i version at a no-cost option compared to the eight-speed automatic transmission, which going forward will be the only way to go should you want the entry-level Z4. BMW Australia is discontinuing the do-it-yourself gearbox after abysmal sales in its two years on the market during which the manual version was outsold by the much more expensive Honda NSX (three cars) and apparently the ancient Mercedes R63 AMG (two cars). Yes, we're just as surprised as you are the fast family hauler was still being sold as new.

With the proliferation of electric vehicles, the writing is on the wall for the manual gearbox. Meanwhile, fewer and fewer non-sports cars have a clutch pedal as only the entry-level models from mainstream brands allow drivers to row their own gears the old-fashioned way. Manuals are few and far between in the performance car segment as well, and while there are some exceptions (Porsche springs to mind), the manual is a dying breed.

BMW is playing its part when it comes to saving the manual, offering the latest M3 Sedan and M4 Coupe with a clutch pedal. That being said, the M4 Convertible is all-wheel-drive- and automatic-only, which will likely be the same case with the hotly anticipated M3 Touring arriving late this year or early 2022. The recently unveiled 2 Series Coupe is also an automatic-only affair, although that should change with the M2 as it's widely believed it will be available with a manual.

Getting back to the Aussie-spec Z4 with a manual, it accounted for only 0.54 percent of all Z4s sold by BMW since early 2019. The RWD-only sDrive20i with the manual is two tenths of a second slower to 62 mph (100 km/h) than the automatic but has a slightly higher top speed. Already removed from the company's Australian configurator, the manual-equipped Z4 is still available in European markets, but who knows for how long.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

Z4 as a car should be discontinued let alone Z4 with 6mt...

If i had to choose between Supra and Z4, i would take Supra for less $ and in this case, a more prestigious name...Looks better too.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:03 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/bm...ike-the-supra/

The BMW Z4 M40i may soon be available with a six-speed manual transmission, according to unnamed sources.

​​​​​​​BMW currently only offers the roadster with an 8-speed automatic transmission that drives the rear wheels. It is a good transmission but BMW is thought to be bowing to pressure from the U.S. market in readying a stick shift for the flagship Z4.

BMW Blog reports that the six-speed manual will arrive when BMW introduces a mild mid-life cycle update for the sports car later this year. The German automaker apparently has the impetus to offer the Z4 M40i with a manual now that the Toyota Supra 3.0, complete with the same chassis and engine, is offered with a six-speed.

Further details about the vehicle aren’t known but it could serve as a fitting send-off to the Z4 as it likely won’t survive beyond mid-2025 before being axed in favor of BMW’s planned fleet of electric vehicles.

As a reminder, the Z4 M40i is driven by a 3.0-liter turbocharged six-cylinder petrol engine pumping out 382 hp and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque, all of which is sent to the rear wheels. While we’ve yet to put the manual Supra 3.0 through its paces, most reviews have been positive, noting that the inclusion of the six-speed adds to the overall experience of the car and makes it a far better driver’s car. A Z4 M40i with a manual would likely be just as fun to drive.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:01 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2023-z4/

A pure-bred roadster, more sporting and visually appealing than ever: this is the BMW Z4 for model year 2023. The latest version of the open-top two-seater incorporates a raft of detail updates, brings fresh design accents to the exterior, expands the range of standard equipment and adds new items to the options list. The new features underscore more than ever the sporting character of the BMW Z4. In so doing, they provide the ideal ingredients with which to build on its success story as both a symbol of pure driving pleasure in the Bavarian premium carmaker's line-up and the global leader in its market segment.

The BMW Z4 brings the traditional roadster experience to the modern era, with its powerful engines and rear-wheel drive, a vehicle concept centred around agility and dynamic excellence, a classical fabric soft-top roof and a progressive, premium ambience inside the cabin. Its external appearance exudes sporting potency elevated to new heights, the exterior features of the M Sport package - which are now also included as standard for the four-cylinder models - making this immediately apparent. With standard specification having been expanded and the structure of the offering streamlined, the Advantage, Sport Line and M Sport equipment lines are no longer featured. A wide selection of exterior paint finishes (three new variants are available), additional M light-alloy wheels in 19-inch format and M lights Shadow Line provide extra scope for customers to put their own individual stamp on the BMW Z4.

Continuing the successful roadster tradition at BMW

With its hallmark BMW sporting prowess, the BMW Z4 draws inspiration from the historic roots of the brand. The history of BMW roadsters as the epitome of driving pleasure and success on the race track extends back to the company's formative years as a carmaker. And the brand's open-top two-seaters have also represented important staging posts in the development of BMW in the more recent past. The BMW Z1 unveiled in 1987 was developed by BMW Technik GmbH as a showcase for innovation and captured the imagination with its front-mid-engined design, slide-down doors, steel monocoque and plastic body panels. Some 8,000 examples were delivered to customers between 1988 and 1991, and today each is a much-coveted collector's item. The BMW Z3 presented in 1995 was the brand's first model to be produced exclusively at BMW Group Plant Spartanburg in the USA. The BMW Z3 was introduced to the public on the silver screen - as James Bond's service vehicle in the film GoldenEye.

Four years later, a Hollywood premiere as a cast member of a Bond blockbuster also brought the BMW Z8 to worldwide attention. In the 1999 movie The World Is Not Enough, the roadster bewitched audiences with its classical lines recalling the legendary BMW 507. Under the sweeping bonnet of the hand-built BMW Z8, the 5.0-litre V8 engine with 294 kW/400 hp originally developed for the BMW M5 put in a spectacular performance in cinemas and on the road alike.

The BMW Z4 has embodied open-top driving pleasure for a driver and passenger for 20 years now. The first generation of the roadster was revealed at the 2002 Mondial de l'Automobile show in Paris. It was followed four years later by the likewise two-seater BMW Z4 Coupé, out of which a GT3 racing car was developed that enjoyed considerable success in the Nürburgring endurance racing series. On the road, too, the BMW Z4 was busy setting new dynamic benchmarks. And the roadster and coupé were also offered as high-performance sports cars from BMW M GmbH, powered by a six-cylinder in-line engine producing 250 kW/340 hp.

A retractable hardtop was the show-stopping feature of the second-generation BMW Z4, allowing it to replace both the roadster and coupé versions of the previous model. Flowing lines, a long bonnet and a set-back passenger compartment were the defining elements of the two-seater's appearance, the new model wasting little time after its premiere in 2009 in earning itself the Eyes On Design Award, the International Design Excellence Award and the red dot Design Award. On the race track, the BMW Z4 picked up on the success recorded by its predecessor with a variant developed according to GT3 regulations. Customer sport teams powered to victory with this racing machine in events including the 24-hour races in Dubai and at Spa-Francorchamps.

The third generation: six-cylinder in-line engine sets it apart

The current BMW Z4 has been on the market since 2020 and is built by BMW Group production partner Magna Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik in Graz, Austria. The worldwide market launch of the new edition will get underway in November 2022. The engine line-up comprises a pair of four-cylinder engines and a six-cylinder in-line unit that gives the BMW Z4 M40i a genuinely unique selling point in its segment. The BMW M model has accounted for more than 30 per cent of worldwide sales of the roadster in recent times; in Germany the BMW Z4 M40i has posted a figure as high as 48 per cent.

Over 55,000 units of the third-generation BMW Z4 have been sold worldwide to date. The most important individual market for the roadster is Germany, where around 26 per cent of all cars from the current model generation have been sold. Next up are the USA (with 17 per cent), China, the United Kingdom and Japan. In a generally diminishing vehicle segment, the BMW Z4 has maintained extraordinarily consistent sales volumes since it went on sale. From day one, it has been by far the highest-selling model in a hotly contested class populated exclusively by German premium brands. And it has consistently increased its market share ever since.

A vehicle character geared squarely to delivering thoroughbred driving pleasure and built around an athletic design, vivacious powertrain and smile-inducing agility is a major factor in the strong popularity of the BMW Z4. These qualities have also earned the BMW Z4 regular victories in comparison tests conducted by the motoring press. Indeed, the BMW Z4 has enjoyed a positive response from the media since the moment it was presented. German car magazine auto, motor und sport proclaimed it "the sports car comeback of the year", while Auto Bild described it as the "hottest convertible of the year". And the BMW Z4 has also performed outstandingly well in public surveys. Readers of Motor Klassik magazine crowned it a "future classic" back in 2019. Plus, the roadster performed well on many fronts in the sport auto readers' poll, with each of the three variants winning a "sport auto Award".

More dynamic than ever: M Sport package as standard, BMW kidney grille with a new design

With muscular proportions, a pristine aesthetic guided by BMW's current design language and a host of individual details, the exterior design of the BMW Z4 encapsulates the modern interpretation of the classical open-top sports car. Hallmark features of the front end include the large air intakes, the LED headlights with vertically arranged light sources positioned to the outer edges, and the long bonnet, which stretches over the wheel arches. The latest design modifications shine an even brighter spotlight on the roadster's width and powerful stance.

Playing a particularly prominent role here are the exterior features of the M Sport package, which are now also included as standard on the four-cylinder models. They include the three-section air intakes in the front apron familiar from other M models, distinctive side-sill contouring and a rear apron with bold edging at either side. The side air intakes - which guide the onrushing air to the air curtains, reducing turbulence in the wheel arches - have been remodelled. And detail updates have been made to the design of the BMW kidney grille, which has gained significantly in visual impact. The kidneys now have a horizontal inner structure, reinforcing the impression of a wide front end. The performance-centric character of the BMW Z4 M40i is underscored by features including exterior mirror caps in Cerium Grey and trapezoidal tailpipe trims for the exhaust system.

Also contributing to the sporting authenticity of the BMW Z4's exterior appearance are the clear surfaces of the car's flanks (with two dynamically flowing character lines bringing structure), the large air breathers rearwards of the front wheel arches, the spoiler integrated into the boot lid, the slim, L-shaped rear lights and the eye-catching diffuser element in the rear apron. The roadster's classical fabric soft-top is electrically operated and can also be opened or closed - within the space of 10 seconds - at the touch of a button while the car is moving at speeds of up to 50 km/h (31 mph).

Old 02-01-2024, 10:54 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2025-z4_m40i_6mt/

Fans of unadulterated driving pleasure in an open-top BMW M model can look forward to a new arrival tailored perfectly to their preferences: the Pure Impulse edition of the BMW Z4 M40i. With the new model year roadster, a six-speed manual gearbox will also be available for the range-topping version for the first time. The new engine/transmission pairing forms the core element of an enticing equipment package designed to place greater emphasis than ever on the two-seater's unwavering focus on delivering an exhilarating open-top driving experience. The Pure Impulse edition brings retuned chassis technology and mixed-size M light-alloy wheels measuring 19 inches in diameter at the front axle and 20 inches at the rear. And exclusive design features for both the exterior and interior are also included. The BMW Z4 Pure Impulse edition will be on sale in Germany, other European markets and the USA. New additions to the range of exterior paint finishes provide the remaining BMW Z4 model variants with a refresh as well.

Muscular roadster proportions with M-specific design features; two seats and a classic soft-top roof; a free-revving six-cylinder in-line engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology, sending its power to the road through the rear wheels: this formula has seen the BMW Z4 M40i establish itself as the archetypal purist's sports car. And now another key ingredient in a richly engaging driving experience has joined the party in the shape of a manual gearbox to marshal the 250 kW/340 hp from that straight-six engine.

Exclusive combination: six cylinders and a six-speed manual gearbox

The pairing of a straight-six engine with a six-speed manual gearbox means the new edition of the BMW Z4 M40i represents a unique proposition in this segment - and also a highly exclusive set-up within the BMW product portfolio. In fact, the only models in the current range available with this drive configuration are high-performance sports cars from BMW M GmbH. But now a BMW M Performance model is set to join them with the arrival of the BMW Z4 M40i Pure Impulse edition.

The 3.0-litre unit in the BMW Z4 M40i owes its familiar free-revving performance, instantaneous power delivery and silky smoothness to the latest M TwinPower Turbo technology. The engine's special characteristics include a forged crankshaft, weight-optimised pistons and a water-cooled exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head. A twin-scroll turbocharger supplies the six combustion chambers with compressed air, whose temperature is regulated by means of an indirect intercooler. The package of drive unit technologies also comprises High Precision Injection operating at pressures up to 350 bar, VALVETRONIC variable valve timing and Double-VANOS fully variable camshaft timing.

With peak torque of 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) that can be summoned between 1,600 and 4,500 rpm, the engine generates compelling pulling power. Its maximum output of 250 kW/340 hp is on tap from 5,000 - 6,500 rpm.

In this special-edition model, the task of transmitting power to the road is handled by a six-speed manual gearbox developed exclusively for the BMW Z4 M40i. It is a BMW modular transmission incorporating M-specific components for the gear set and shafts that has been modified for the straight-six engine's output. The outer shift mechanism, comprising the shift lever, its guide and the connection to the transmission, has likewise been custom made for the Pure Impulse edition of the BMW Z4 M40i - and delivers the unrivalled shift feel for which BMW models are renowned. The direct flow of power between engine and transmission combined with the driver's central involvement in gear changes reinforces the emotional bond between driver and vehicle. A precisely defined shift action enables the gears to be changed swiftly and intuitively.

When power is relayed via the six-speed manual gearbox, the six-cylinder in-line engine propels the BMW Z4 M40i to 100 km/h (62 mph) from rest in 4.6 seconds. The sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) takes 4.5 seconds on models with the eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission. Although by default the Steptronic Sport will select the gears automatically, it also lets the driver control gear selection manually if desired. The shift paddles on the steering wheel are designed to allow spontaneous interaction with the drive system.

Refined chassis tuning, mixed-size wheels for the first time on the BMW Z4

Compact proportions, minimised weight, a low centre of gravity and virtually perfect 50 : 50 weight distribution are the defining elements of a BMW Z4 vehicle concept honed precisely to deliver agility and dynamic performance. The extremely rigid body and chassis structure and excellent aerodynamic attributes also help to mould the sports car character of the Z4. The roadster's chassis design, combining a double-joint spring strut front axle with a five-link rear axle, produces a compelling and harmonious blend of dynamism and ride comfort.

The standard equipment roster for the BMW Z4 M40i includes variable sport steering, M Sport brakes and an M Sport differential at the rear axle along with adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers, whose software has undergone extra fine-tuning for the Pure Impulse edition. The exclusive chassis technology aboard the special edition features bespoke auxiliary springs at the front and rear axles. A specially reinforced anti-roll bar clamp is also fitted at the front, while both the mapping for electronic control of the rear dampers and the software for the variable sport steering have been newly adjusted. In order to achieve sharper handling characteristics that will be appreciated by driving purists, the development team also equipped the traction control and M Sport differential with model-specific control logic.

Another new feature on the chassis side relates to the wheel sizes, as different-size wheels are being fitted to the BMW Z4 M40i for the first time. The new M light-alloy wheels in double-spoke design with a Black high-gloss finish measure 19 inches in diameter at the front axle and 20 inches at the rear. Previously reserved for high-performance models from BMW M GmbH, this pairing enables optimum transfer of drive power to the road - especially in conjunction with rear-wheel drive - together with highly effective transmission of lateral control forces when cornering hard.

Pure Impulse edition with individual exterior features

In addition to the six-speed manual gearbox, the refined chassis tuning and the combination of 19-inch and 20-inch M light-alloy wheels, the Pure Impulse edition also adds individual design features to the exterior of the BMW Z4 M40i. These give the roadster a sharper look that underlines its more rounded sports car character, while also complementing the familiar M exterior features for optimising airflow and aerodynamic balance. They include the M High-gloss Shadowline trim with extended features - which also incorporates the exclusive model badging on the front side panels and the vehicle's rear end - as well as the exterior mirror caps painted in Black high-gloss, specially designed flaps for streamlining the airflow in the area around the rear wheel arches and red brake callipers for the M Sport brakes.

New exterior colours also form part of the Pure Impulse edition's specification. Examples for European markets have a Frozen Deep Green metallic finish, while models destined for the USA sport the Sanremo Green metallic body colour. Further exterior paint finishes from the familiar range of colours for the BMW Z4 can be selected as an alternative to the new variants.

Exclusive interior appointments for the Pure Impulse edition

The interior of the BMW Z4 has been crafted for the enjoyment of unfettered driving pleasure in a space with a modern and sophisticated sports car feel. The driver-centric cockpit design and model-specific sport seats with integral head restraints both help to achieve this goal. The cabin combines clean lines that seem to surge forward with trim surfaces concentrated in just a few areas.

The Pure Impulse edition includes M-specific design features for the interior supplemented by a number of exclusive details. For instance, there is an M gearshift lever with model-specific sleeve on the centre console that is used to control the special-edition model's six-speed manual gearbox. The Vernasca leather trim in Cognac with black M piping - also exclusive to the BMW Z4 M40i Pure Impulse - exudes a blend of sumptuous elegance and sporting flair. It is complemented by interior trim strips in Black high-gloss.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:54 AM

Love that green/tan combo, and 3 pedals