Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
http://www.autoevolution.com/bmw-blo...son-64341.html

you are right and wrong.

But no one knows the reason why you are wrong. LOL
I assume you are refererring to overseas price after exchange rate? It is still a joke though. This is what would happen in the BMW showroom:

Salesguy- "Here is the X3 diesel model new for this year. It costs 2k more than the base model but you save on fuel costs."

Customer reaction when they see a 20d badge:

"What will the people at Whole Foods think? Talk about humiliation.. they might start to believe we're actually upper-middle class!"

Badged as a 28d:

"Hmm not bad. The money we save would pay for a latte a week at starbucks. Maybe I can convince this salesguy to give us an employee discount.."
Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Dont think people care as long as its a bMW. The 320i is selling well..
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
I assume you are refererring to overseas price after exchange rate? It is still a joke though. This is what would happen in the BMW showroom:

Salesguy- "Here is the X3 diesel model new for this year. It costs 2k more than the base model but you save on fuel costs."

Customer reaction when they see a 20d badge:

"What will the people at Whole Foods think? Talk about humiliation.. they might start to believe we're actually upper-middle class!"

Badged as a 28d:

"Hmm not bad. The money we save would pay for a latte a week at starbucks. Maybe I can convince this salesguy to give us an employee discount.."
No.

What i meant is

You are right they use 20D as 28D, however, the Euro 20D and the US 28D have different MPG, acceleration, torque and etc...

But no one knows why the specs are different.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I love BMWs, but I'm not sure this car needed an improvement, and even if it did, I don't feel like the car was improved.

My father in law's was brilliant (2013, I believe), until someone stole it.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thet...ly-reveal/amp/

The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I really like it! I've always liked the latest generation of X3, but this lastest looks the best and can't wait to see the specs on the X3M, I wonder if it will put a hurting on the Macan and GLC AMG and SQ5?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...badass-things/

The first time I ever got to ride in a BMW was when I was twelve-years old and my older sister was dating a guy with a tricked out 1980s BMW 3 Series coupe. This BMW had the look of a lowrider and I could still remember the details vividly. It was painted candy apple red, sported roadster wire wheels, cloth seats, and an etching of a cholawith a sobbing clown on the rear side window. It was badass.

In my mind I could easily go back to that time I sat on the backseat that was vibrating from the punching sound system that was playing “Sideways” by rapper E-40. Spending a week with a 2018 BMW X3 M40i reminded me of the first time I ever got to sit in a BMW. Here is a list of nine things that make the X3 M40i just as cool.
  1. Puddle Lights Design
Normally puddle lights illuminate the pavement with a manufacturer’s logo, however BMW took a different approach to their design. The X3 M40i’s design is a set of lines that curve at the end and these exact lines match the interior map lights and climate vents.
  1. Interior Aluminum Rhombicle Trim
Most people who are familiar with the BMW brand are keen on the interior’s upholstery: wood finish trim, beige or black SensaTec seats, and nowadays aluminum accents. My test vehicle had the gorgeous Cognac Vernasca leather upholstery and for added pop the Aluminum Rhombicle interior trim. As an alternative to the commonly known wood trim, BMW offers the Aluminum Rhombicle trim (a no cost option), which looks flawless and has a texture that is pleasing to the touch.
  1. M Performance Exterior Treatment
I believe rapper Gucci Mane once said “all this ice got me feeling aggressive” and with its M Performance macho appearance the X3 M40i shares that sentiment. The X3’s exterior M treatment includes an M40i badge, 19-inch double spoke bicolor wheels, blue-painted calipers, Black Chrome exhaust tips, Cerium Gray accent finishers (air flow gills, mirror caps, kidney grille, front air intakes), and high-gloss black roof rails. My tester sported the 20-inch wheels, but if I personally owned an M40i I’d go for the 21-inch Cerium Gray wheels. The M Performance package complements the 3.0-liter turbocharged engine under the hood that has 355-hp of cojones.
  1. Dynamic Digital Instrument Graphics
There is nothing special about a digital instrument cluster on the dashboard of luxury vehicles as this type of cluster is becoming customary. With that being said, the miniature X3 model graphics that are displayed on the M40i’s instrument when you start the engine or open a door are freakin’ adorable. Also, depending on the mode you drive in (Adaptive, Sport, Comfort, or Eco-Pro) the gauges display differently and change color.
  1. Exhaust Sound
Are those cherry bombs popping?! No, that’s just the vigorous sound of the almighty exhaust on the M40i and it sounds amazing for a luxury compact SUV. During my week- long stint in the M40i I really enjoyed starting the engine, accelerating, and driving in Sport+ mode just to hear the exhaust sound.
  1. Embossed Xs
When any of the four doors is opened an embossed “X” on the aluminum trim is visible and then hidden once a door is closed. Upon closer observation you will find the more secretive “X3” printed on the upper side of the B-pillar. Of all the modest details in the interior this embossed “X” was my favorite.
  1. 3D Surround View System
Are you worried that some stranger may be getting too close to your precious metal? Does it concern you that someone doing a sloppy parking job at the grocery store is about to hit your Bimmer and speed away? No need to worry 3D Surround View will keep you posted. This optional feature gives you a 360-degree glimpse of the current status of your vehicle and the surrounding area right from your smartphone with the BMW Connected App. I was only able to take advantage of this feature while parking and even though I am a superstar at parking 3D Surround View assisted me everywhere I parked.
  1. Interior Ambient Lighting
I have driven a number of cars from our fleet with this feature and seldom have I truly appreciated that extra elegance it adds to the interior. For my time with the X3 M40i I used the Lilac with lilac contour color setting and the soft tone illuminated the interior gracefully.
  1. BMW M Logo Valve Stem Caps
It’s the little things that count and on the M40i’s massive wheels it is that valve stem cap with the cute M Logo. If those don’t appeal to you, the BMW Roundel valve stem caps are another option.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:38 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2020-x3_m_competition/

BMW M GmbH expanded its high-performance model line-up to include models in the mid-size Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) and Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) segments for the first time. The BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M set the benchmark for dynamic excellence, agility and precision in their respective classes.

Also new is the launch alongside the BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M of their Competition siblings. The BMW X3 M Competition and BMW X4 M Competition will capture customers' imagination with their extra power and exclusive appointments.

New six-cylinder in-line engine, M Steptronic transmission, M xDrive

The addition to the BMW M GmbH line-up of its first high-performance models in the mid-size Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) and Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) segments also heralds the arrival of a newly developed sixcylinder in-line engine in two variants. The engine stands out with its familiar M high-revving character, the latest M TwinPower Turbo technology update, plus track-tested cooling and oil supply systems. It develops 353 kW/480 hp in the BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M, and an even mightier 375 kW/510 hp in the BMW X3 M Competition and BMW X4 M Competition.

The standout performance characteristics of the 3.0-litre units are encapsulated by the linear power development that is such an M speciality, plus a hunger for revs quelled only by the engine's limiter. And all to the tune of an arresting soundtrack. Like the maximum output figure, peak torque of 600 Nm (442 lb-ft) also represents a new high point for a six-cylinder in-line petrol engine from BMW. The ongoing development of M TwinPower Turbo technology, coupled with the inclusion of two gasoline particulate filters and four catalytic converters, also ensures the high-performance engines can claim remarkable efficiency and exceptionally low emissions.

Higher revving, more powerful and more efficient thanks to weight minimisation and the latest M TwinPower Turbo technology

The new six-cylinder in-line engine has a forged crankshaft, whose exceptional torsional resistance allows it to handle extremely high torque levels. Plus, its low weight and reduced rotating mass feed the engine's highrevving instincts. The closed-deck design of the six-cylinder engine's crankcase ensures it is incredibly rigid, paving the way for higher combustion pressure and optimised power output. The wire-arc sprayed iron coating for the cylinder walls serves to reduce weight and frictional losses.

In addition, the cylinder head has a core manufactured using 3D printing. This additive manufacturing process enables geometric forms to be created that are beyond the capability of conventional metal casting techniques. 3D printing technology has cut the weight of the new engine's cylinder head core and allowed its coolant ducts to be routed in a way that optimises temperature management.

This latest incarnation of M TwinPower Turbo technology features two monoscroll turbochargers, which supply compressed air to cylinders 1 - 3 and 4 - 6 respectively. The engine's power output is further enhanced through the use of upgraded compressors and an indirect intercooler supplied by a lowtemperature circuit. A flow-optimised air intake system reduces pressure losses, while an electronically controlled wastegate (which can be closed quickly) enhances responsiveness. The wide-opening wastegate also heightens the effectiveness of the catalytic converters positioned close to the engine.

The likewise further developed High Precision Injection technology raises maximum injection pressure from 200 bar to 350 bar, enabling extremely efficient mixture preparation. The fine atomisation of the fuel in the combustion chambers minimises emissions, especially under full acceleration loads and at high speeds. The package of technology is rounded off by VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing.

The six-cylinder in-line engine serves up its peak torque between 2,600 and 5,600 rpm in the BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M, and between 2,600 and 5,950 rpm in the BMW X3 M Competition and BMW X4 M Competition. It generates maximum output at 6,250 rpm and sustains its potent power delivery until the 7,200 rpm "red line". The BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.2 seconds, while the Competition models hit the 100 km/h (62 mph) mark in a mere 4.1 seconds. The top speed of all models is an electronically governed 250 km/h (155 mph). But if the optional M Driver's Package is specified, this limit rises to 280 km/h (174 mph) - or 285 km/h (177 mph) for the Competition models.

Cooling systems and oil supply developed with knowledge from motor sport

The new six-cylinder in-line engine's track-tested cooling system has been designed to work with the engine's extraordinary performance and comprises one central radiator and two positioned either side of it. It also includes an additional engine oil cooler and a separate transmission oil cooler. This sophisticated system ensures that optimum operating temperatures are maintained for all powertrain components at all times, both in everyday use on short urban journeys and during track use.

The motor sport expertise amassed by BMW M GmbH has also made its presence felt in the conception of the oil supply system, which is designed to meet the challenges of dynamic track driving. The engine's weight-minimised oil sump has two separate chambers and an integrated suction channel. An additional suction stage allows the map-controlled oil pump to draw lubricant from the smaller chamber, which steps in when extra capacity is needed. This ensures a reliable supply of oil at all times, even under extreme lateral and longitudinal acceleration.

Dual-branch exhaust system with electrically controlled flaps, two gasoline particulate filters and four tailpipes

An exhaust system perfectly tailored to the new six-cylinder in-line engine delivers reduced backpressure, a stirring soundtrack and minimised emissions. The dual-branch pipework leads into a bespoke silencer and releases the exhaust gas - in customary M fashion - through two pairs of tailpipes. Each tailpipe has a diameter of 100 millimetres; one pair is positioned on the right-hand of the rear apron and the other on the left. Both branches of the exhaust are fitted with a gasoline particulate filter to reduce particulate emissions.

Electrically controlled flaps help to produce the emotionally rich engine note for which BMW M cars are renowned and which provides an acoustic showcase for the engine's brawn and linear power delivery. The nature of the soundtrack takes its cues from the engine mode engaged; in addition to the standard setting, SPORT and SPORT+ modes can be selected at the touch of a button. Pressing another button on the centre console, meanwhile, gives the engine a particularly hushed tone. Standard specification for the Competition models includes the M Sport exhaust system, which lends the engine a pleasingly sonorous timbre, especially when it is being pushed hard and at high revs. Its continuously variable exhaust flaps create a particularly broad vocal range. The M Sport exhaust system can also be specified as an option for the BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M.

Eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic and three shift modes

The new high-performance engine links up with the latest upgrade of the eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic. As well as fully automated gear changes, it also enables manual shifts with sequential gear selection. Fitted as standard along with the newly designed selector lever are gearshift paddles on the steering wheel. Manual mode allows the driver to shift down several times to the lowest gear possible, so as to utilise the engine braking effect. M Steptronic does not force upshifts under acceleration - even when the engine's revs hit the limiter. And it is designed to deliver instantaneous response and lightning-fast gear changes. The torque converter lock-up clutch is fully engaged from the moment the car pulls away.

The driver can use the selector lever's Drivelogic switch to adjust the transmission's shift characteristics in both automatic and manual modes. Drivelogic mode 1 aids efficient driving with smooth gear changes, switching to mode 2 increases the sporting factor with shorter shift times. And the third mode makes gear changes even sharper. Here, the transmission holds the engine in its upper rev echelons, helping the driver to push the dynamic envelope and maximise the powertrain's performance on the track.

M xDrive all-wheel drive: maximum traction, rear-wheel-biased set-up

The new M xDrive all-wheel-drive system also plays its part in giving the BMW X3 M, BMW X4 M and Competition models their sublime performance attributes. Handed its debut in the new BMW M5, the system blends the traction-related benefits of sending power to all four wheels with the proven dynamic qualities of classical rear-wheel drive. The electronically controlled M xDrive, which works in tandem with the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system, only shifts drive to the front axle when the rear wheels reach the limits of their power-transferring ability. This setting maximises the agility of the high-performance SAV and SAC as its top priority.

As well as modifying the responses of the DSC system, drivers can also adjust the distribution of power between the front and rear wheels at the touch of a button. M Dynamic Mode - which can be activated as an alternative to the standard DSC setting - gives the driver access to the M xDrive 4WD Sport option. This shifts even more power to the rear wheels, enabling controlled drifts and particularly playful handling. DSC Off mode (with DSC deactivated), meanwhile, has been optimised for ultra-dynamic driving situations and can be combined with the standard all-wheel-drive setting 4WD or with 4WD Sport mode. Mode selection here is via the iDrive menu.

The centrally controlled interaction between M xDrive and the Active M Differential is largely responsible for channelling the engine's immense output through the car's wheels without any loss of power en route. Torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels with creamy smoothness and fully variably by means of the transfer case's electronically controlled multiplate clutch, before the Active M Differential splits it again between the two rear wheels, as the situation demands. This ensures enhanced traction, agility and directional stability, especially when the car is being driven in a very sporty manner or on roads with differing levels of grip - i.e. exactly when it is needed. All of which means stabilising interventions by the DSC system are only necessary in extreme situations.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

wow... i thought M3/M4 will be the first ones to have the new engine.... I guess not.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
500hp X3 and 500hp GLC63....damn....these are some freaking fast SUV's! Last I checked the GLC63 AMG is faster than the CTR at Virginia International Raceway haha!
Old 02-16-2019, 02:19 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
X3M is going to sell like fucking hotcakes.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,829 Likes on 3,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
X3M is going to sell like fucking hotcakes.
Hell yeah it will. At this point, I'd buy one.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 AM

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/07/11/r...ry-and-sdrive/

Next year, the BMW i family will gain an additional member – the first ever, fully electric iX3 SUV. The EV crossover was introduced in concept form back in 2018 and it is now ready for production. Speaking of production, all the united will be manufactured in China and will be exported globally.

According to a usual BMW insider, the iX3 is based on the long wheelbase X3 – G08 codename – and will be offered in the United States with a rear-wheel drive configuration. The name is rumored to be sDrive75, with “75” denoting the kW capacity of its battery pack.

The electric motor is rumored to produced around 300 horsepower. No word on the real life EV range, but it’s expected to be above 250 miles. Thanks to 150 kW charging, the BMW iX3 won’t leave you stranded for hours while you sit around, waiting for it to charge. With 150 kWh, it’s said that it can charge almost 100 percent in just 30 minutes.

The U.S. model is said to come standard with self-driving capabilities, but it’s unclear at what level.

BMW’s recent presentation of “Iconic Sounds” was likely timed to prepare us for its market debut, which is said to be in the iX3.

Once the BMW iX3 EV arrives in 2020, the X3 range will be made up of cars using internal combustion engines, electric motors and a mix of the two.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Ex-OEM King

No AWD in the US? That seems like a pretty big miss...

Also, what's the performance numbers on this thing? If they want to compete with the Model Y then they'll need some go behind it.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:57 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2021-ix3/

Full electric mobility makes its debut in the BMW brand's product line-up as a Sports Activity Vehicle ushers in a new form of locally emission-free driving pleasure. The new BMW iX3 is the first vehicle in the core brand's model range to be driven purely on electric power. The arrival of the new BMW iX3 represents the latest stage in the rollout of the BMW Group's electrification strategy. This is the first time a pure-electric drive system has been combined with the rugged characteristics, multi-faceted functionality and spaciousness, comfort and hallmark sporting ability of a BMW X model.

The premiere of the new BMW iX3 also fires the starting gun for the fifth generation of BMW eDrive technology and kicks off a new era of electrified drive systems for premium cars. Significant progress has been made in terms of performance characteristics, operating range, weight, the installation space required and flexibility. The latest innovations developed by the BMW Group to optimise the electric motor, power electronics, charging technology and high-voltage battery give the new BMW iX3 a maximum output of 210 kW/286 hp, a range of up to 460 kilometres (285 miles) in the WLTP test cycle - equivalent to up to 520 kilometres (323 miles) in the NEDC test cycle - and a level of energy efficiency beyond that of any other model in its class. These innovations will also be feature in the upcoming fully electric BMW i4 and BMW iNEXT models.

Bespoke products and services from BMW Charging and innovative digital services from BMW Connected Charging give customers a broad variety of choices when it comes to simple, fast and convenient charging of the high-voltage battery at home, at the workplace or mid-journey. This wide-ranging offer reflects the BMW Group's all-encompassing approach on electric mobility, which continues beyond the vehicle itself. It covers a variety of customer requirements and circumstances and helps new BMW iX3 owners to make optimum use of their car's capabilities both in everyday driving and over longer distances.

Paired with its ongoing product offensive with plug-in hybrid models, the market launch of an all-electric Sports Activity Vehicle underscores the leading roleof the BMW Group in the transformation towards more sustainable mobility. The BMW Group currently offers a broader spread of vehicles with electrified drive systems than any rival. Now 13.4 per cent of all BMW Group vehicles newly registered across Europe are now models with all-electric or plug-in hybrid drive systems. Therefore, sustainable drive technology enjoys significantly greater prominence within the company than in the European car market as a whole, where electrically powered models currently account for 7.7 per cent of new registrations.

Contributing to this, the company is planning to expand its line-up to 25 electrified models by 2023, with more than half of those models being all-electric. Drive system electrification is one of the future fields of mobility set out by the BMW Group in its NUMBER ONE > NEXT corporate strategy. D-ACES (Design, Autonomous, Connected, Electrified and Services/Shared) innovations will put the building blocks in place for sustainable growth across the world's car markets.

The market launch of the new BMW iX3 will begin in late 2020, when sales get underway in China. The electrically powered Sports Activity Vehicle will be produced at the Shenyang plant in China, which is operated by the joint venture BMW Brilliance Automotive. BMW eDrive components are also manufactured in Shenyang. The new BMW iX3 is therefore the brand's first electric model to be built for export in China.

Power of Choice: BMW X3 model range with flexible drive system technology and wide-reaching charging strategy answers mobility needs worldwide

The new BMW iX3 is a fully-fledged Sports Activity Vehicle whose myriad qualities are rooted in the conceptual blueprint of the globally successful, conventionally powered BMW X3. The SAV for the premium midsize segment is one of the BMW brand's first models whose architecture offers a new level of flexibility within the drive system technology developed for it. Thanks to this future-focused approach, the BMW X3 will be the brand's first model to be available with highly efficient petrol and diesel engines, a locally emission-free plug-in hybrid system or a pure-electric drive.

The flexibility built into the BMW X3 embodies the strategic Power of Choice approach the BMW Group has implemented to meet the specific mobility needs of customers around the world. To this end, a wide spectrum of drive system technologies has spawned a selection of precisely targeted models adapted to meet a vast array of legal parameters and individual requirements.

The BMW iX3 has a unique rear axle subframe and bespoke chassis integration to help it meet the particular demands on a pure-electric vehicle concept. As well as the instantaneous power delivery of its electric motor and model-specific suspension tuning, it offers the combination of sporty, agile handling, excellent direction stability and supreme traction in adverse weather conditions and on loose ground, fulfilling customers expectations of a Sports Activity Vehicle.

With these qualities in place, the new BMW iX3 has an eye on both the current requirements of the electric vehicle segment and its future face. In its fifth generation, the BMW eDrive technology has reached a level of development beyond the one of market rivals and it provides an outstanding basis for economically sustainable applications in volume production models. At the same time, the strong appeal of its vehicle concept goes hand in hand with the rising demand worldwide for all-electric premium cars. The arrival of a highly efficient electric model in the globally popular premium midsize Sports Activity Vehicle segment contributes hugely to the reduction in CO2 emissions from road traffic. The new BMW iX3 is therefore the right electric vehicle at the right time.

The drive system

The new BMW iX3 blazes a trail for the latest development stage in electrified drive systems. The fifth generation of BMW eDrive technology stands out with its all-new, highly integrated design principle for the drive components. The electric motor, power electronics and transmission are now arranged together in a single housing. The highly integrated electric drive system topology allows a substantial reduction in the installation space required and the weight of the components relative to the power they produce. This has brought about an increase in power density of around 30 per cent compared with the BMW eDrive technology featured in existing electrified models.

The fifth-generation electric drive system will also be fitted in the BMW i4 and BMW iNEXT models from 2021. It is highly scalable and can be adapted to varying vehicle concepts, installation space and power requirements.

The electric motor developed for the new BMW iX3 produces a maximum output of 210 kW/286 hp and develops peak torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) from rest. The new BMW iX3 therefore has by far the most powerful e-drive system ever fitted in an electrified model from the BMW brand. It also helps to generate the driving pleasure for which BMW is renowned, courtesy of its signature performance characteristics and consummate silence. The latest version of the electric motor developed in-house by the BMW Group displays exceptional efficiency of up to 93 per cent.

Another element of the fifth-generation BMW eDrive technology is the high-voltage battery with further developed cell technology. Committed research and development work has allowed the BMW Group to elevate the performance capability and energy density of the battery once again. The gravimetric energy density of the energy storage system has been increased by another 20 per cent over the battery cells used in BMW's electrically powered models up to now. The high-voltage battery in the new BMW iX3 sets the current benchmark in storage technology for electric energy as far as all the relevant properties - including durability and safety - are concerned. Positioned flat in the vehicle floor of the new BMW iX3, the battery has a gross energy content of 80 kWh. Together with the high efficiency of the electric motor, the new generation of battery cell technology enables an exceptionally high operating range given the size and weight of the high-voltage battery. The new BMW iX3 posts a range of up to460 kilometres (285 miles) in the WLTP test cycle. This equates to a range of up to520 kilometres (323 miles) when translated back into values for the old NEDC test cycle.

The resultant capability of the new BMW iX3 in everyday use and over long-distance journeys is rooted in an all-encompassing concept for increasing sustainability. It therefore differs significantly from other electric vehicles in its segment, as their range is boosted mostly by ever larger high-voltage batteries - which impacts negatively on the vehicle's weight and, by extension, its overall efficiency. By contrast, the BMW iX3 stands out with its unique combination of a highly efficient drive system, adaptive recuperation while on the move, low-loss charges at up to 150 kW and extensive measures for reducing air resistance, including innovative aerodynamic wheels. This notably improves both the everyday usability of the all-electric SAV, and above all its long-distance driving ability.

The electric motor: current-excited synchronous motor with sporting performance characteristics and standout efficiency

The BMW Group's traditional expertise in the development of drive system technology also comes into play with electric mobility. The latest advances in this area give the electric motor making its debut in the new BMW iX3 its specific qualities. A new construction method and a host of innovative detail solutions imbue the motor with mesmerising performance and outstanding efficiency.

The electric motor in the new BMW iX3 works according to the principle of a current-excited synchronous motor and therefore differs significantly from other solutions on the market. The excitation of the rotor is not induced by fixed permanent magnets, but the feed-in of electric power. This design allows the rare earths required for magnetic components to be entirely avoided in the manufacture of the electric motor. Meaning, the BMW Group is not dependent on their availability.

In addition, further progress made in the development of motor technology leads to a significant leap forward in power delivery and efficiency. The drive system can now rev to 17,000 rpm. Maximum output of 210 kW/286 hp is available early on and remains on tap over a wide band up to the rpm red line or the car's top speed. The motor in the new BMW iX3 generates peak torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) - an extraordinarily high figure for a car of its size - and the driver can access all of this from rest, thanks to judiciously managed excitation of the rotors. Unlike other electric motors, this one also maintains its maximum torque level over a broad rev band. All of which means the driving experience is defined by the car's ability to not only serve up its power instantaneously but also sustains this power at an extremely constant level, accentuating the car's sporting character. The new BMW iX3 sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.8 seconds, putting it in the same territory as the conventionally powered BMW X3 xDrive30i. Top speed is electronically limited to 180 km/h (112 mph).

The current-excited synchronous motor design principle also offers unparalleled freedom when it comes to adjusting the amount of excitation, which is induced via electrically generated impulses. Drivers will therefore notice clear differences in the performance profiles of the different driving modes. The highest degree of excitation can be summoned by setting the Driving Experience Control switch to SPORT mode. Here, the motor's lightning-fast power delivery encourages a sporty driving style with the rapid acceleration it provides. Reduced excitation increases the efficiency of the drive system in COMFORT and ECO PRO modes. Drivers can also choose to have no excitation of the motor at all, in which case the car will also glide along particularly efficiently in coasting mode. There will be no recuperation on the overrun.

The motor's drive power is transferred along the shortest possible path to the single-ratio transmission, which is installed in the same housing and has likewise been developed and produced by the BMW Group. In the new BMW iX3, the overall electric drive unit - which brings together the electric motor, power electronics and transmission in one place - occupies the space available in the model-specific rear axle subframe. From there, power is sent directly to the rear wheels of the new BMW iX3. This further increases the overall efficiency of the drive system, the reduction in electric power consumption extends the range of the new BMW iX3, and drivers enjoy a classic BMW rear-drive experience. It also offers exceptional performance on snow, ice and loose terrain thanks to standout traction and excellent directional stability. Its advanced driving stability control technology with ARB (near-actuator wheel slip limitation) allows it to sustain relentless forward momentum even in adverse road and weather conditions.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Ex-OEM King

That's slow as balls for an electric SUV. They left a lot on the table with this one.

Other than that, it looks great!
Old 07-14-2020, 03:41 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
That's slow as balls for an electric SUV. They left a lot on the table with this one.

Other than that, it looks great!
Too little, too late. They are covering their heads in sand and pretending that a problem doesn’t exist.
That’s exactly the problem with legacy auto makers such as BMW. The range when converted to EPA would be roughly 254 miles, Which isn’t even competitive with the current offerings. Even Hyundai Kona can beat it. Ford MachE and Model Y would run circles around it. .
They think that the brand cachet of BMW would pull them out through this mess. I’ve got news for them. It goes only so far, and falls short like their BEV ranges. .
Old 07-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

I came to say "waiting to comfy to see Tesla is better."... i guess i was too late.

Like i said before whether it is 250 miles or 290 miles or 350 miles... it does not matter... they are all enough for day to day use and NOT enough for long trips...

At least this one has a good interior and it does not look like a loaf of bread that is begging to be stepped on.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 07-14-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:38 PM

And they'll still sell, Because BMW.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Model 3 on avg getting 200 mile per charge. These vehicles are simply not competitive for long range trip or going up on grades/towing etc.
https://www.whatcar.com/tesla/model-3/saloon/review/n19010/on-the-road

Remember drive conservatively and not as tall as rest of CUVs.

https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-y/
Our Model Y Performance had the Performance Upgrade option, however, which has a lower max range (Tesla estimate: 280 miles) because of its bigger wheels and stickier tires. We observed a total range of 252.8 miles at 28.4 kWh/100 miles on our real-world drive loop, running in the Normal battery mode, which charges the battery to a more sustainable state of 90% capacity. This is a pretty promising result and matches EPA estimations as long as you're driving conservatively
Old 07-15-2020, 05:10 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I came to say "waiting to comfy to see Tesla is better."... i guess i was too late. on.
You’ve got to keep up dude. .
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
And they'll still sell, Because BMW.
For how long, is the real question though. BMWs have brand recognition primarily because of their performance when compared to mainstream cars.
Will you consider a current BMW (3 or 5 series) with regular ICE if it offered only a 1.5 liter engine with 150 BHP only? If regular Camrys and Accords can easily pass them, they you wouldn’t consider BMW prestigious anymore regardless of how good it looks or how nice the interior materials are.
Hypothetical jokes apart, let’s agree that this current one is a goner, and wait for the “inext”.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Comfy

For how long, is the real question though. BMWs have brand recognition primarily because of their performance when compared to mainstream cars.
Will you consider a current BMW (3 or 5 series) with regular ICE if it offered only a 1.5 liter engine with 150 BHP only? If regular Camrys and Accords can easily pass them, they you wouldn’t consider BMW prestigious anymore regardless of how good it looks or how nice the interior materials are.
Hypothetical jokes apart, let’s agree that this current one is a goner, and wait for the “inext”.
In response to the bolded bit, yes. BMWs will still sell because BMW. I see a ton of 320i around here. Same with the MBZ A/CLA/GLA. People want to drive a BMW/MBZ & are less concerned with the performance than with the image.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Ex-OEM King

A modern Accord 2.0T is as fast or faster than a 330i RWD base model BMW yet it continues to sell quite well. Why? Because the build is better, the drive is better, the quality is better, and the badge on the hood is better. Also, in Europe, BMW and Audi sell an metric shit ton of lower end slow diesel cars, they're everywhere.

Before you get your undies in a bunch, a Tesla badge is also considered premium and aligned with BMW and MB even though the build and quality are worlds apart.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:10 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

They why aren’t they offering it in US? They already know they’ll get their asses kicked. They’re going to get hammered in Europe next year anyway.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Ex-OEM King

They why aren’t they offering it in US? They already know they’ll get their asses kicked. They’re going to get hammered in Europe next year anyway.
Probably because of US regulations around cars? This isn't anything new.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
BMW's X3 compact SUV and its X4 SUV coupe sibling get treated to minor mid-cycle updates for the 2022 model year. The 2022 X3 and X4 get exterior design tweaks including a redesigned front end — but, mercifully, not the towering grilles seen on the latest 4 Series — and the six-cylinder M40i versions gain BMW's 48-volt mild-hybrid system. There are also updates inside.

As before, the X3 is offered as the four-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive sDrive30i, as the all-wheel-drive xDrive30i, and as the six-cylinder all-wheel-drive xDrive M40i. The slope-back X4 skips the rear-wheel-drive configuration and comes only as the xDrive30i and Drive M40i.

The 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine in the 30i models is unchanged, with outputs of 248 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six in the M40i variants makes 382 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. Both engines pair with an eight-speed automatic transmission.

The 3.0-liter's new mild-hybrid system, seen already in other BMW models with this engine, cannot power the car on its own but recuperates brake energy, which it stores in a dedicated battery, then taps that energy to assist the engine by powering the electrical system under load. It can add an extra 11 horsepower, and it also widens the bandwidth of the auto stop-start system, allowing engine shutdown at speeds below 9 mph when coming to a stop. The system also allows the engine to switch off when coasting at speeds from 15 to 99 mph.

The available Driving Assistance Professional package features an upgraded version of BMW's adaptive cruise control. The enhanced system has stop-and-go capability as well as semi-autonomous steering capability, including the ability to execute a signaled lane change. With the optional Parking Assistance package, the X3/X4 can now back out of a space by retracing its path.

Both models have a reworked fascia with a more squared-off frame for the grilles, a reshaped front bumper, and redesigned headlights. Similarly, the rear bumper, taillights and exhaust outlets have been tweaked. A new optional 19-inch wheel design for the X3 (Jet Black bicolor Style 842) includes a removable plastic inset piece to smooth airflow around the wheels. There are also two new paint colors: Brooklyn Grey metallic (pictured on the X4), Tanzanite Blue II metallic, and Piermont Red.

Inside, the main infotainment touchscreen now measures 10.25 inches, with a 12.3-inch unit along with a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster optional on the X3 and standard on the X4. The rest of the center stack and the center console have been redesigned with elements borrowed from the 3 Series and 4 Series. The instrument cluster display offers a 3D enhanced mode that is able to show surrounding vehicles, and the ambient lighting has several animated features such as flashing to indicate an incoming phone call.

Pricing for the X3 starts at $44,695 (including the $995 destination charge) for the sDrive 30i, with the AWD version an additional $2,000, both representing an increase of $700 over 2021 prices. The X3 M40i xDrive is $58,795, an increase of $1,200. The X4 opens at $52,795 for the xDrive 30i, an increase of $200, while the xDrive M40i is $63,395, $700 more than before.
2022 BMW X3, X4 updated, six-cylinder gains 48-volt mild hybrid system | Autoblog
Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2022-x3_m_competition/

BMW M GmbH is refreshing the high-performance models of the Sports Activity Vehicle BMW X3 and the Sports Activity Coupé BMW X4 two years after their launch. In addition to new design features drawn from the BMW X3 and BMW X4, which have likewise been revised, along with M specific changes and a new operating concept, the new BMW X3 M Competition and the new BMW X4 M Competition also offer increased pulling power. The most powerful BMW in-line 6-cylinder petrol engine with a peak output of 375 kW/510 hp - now also used in other BMW M models - has a maximum torque which has been increased by 50 Nm to 650 Nm, enabling a 0.3-second improvement in the time required for the standard sprint from 0 to 100 km/h to 3.8 seconds. This puts the BMW X3 M Competition and the BMW X4 M Competition on a par with high-performance sports cars. The top speed is electronically cut off at 250 km/h. This limit is raised to 285 km/h in conjunction with the optional M Driver's Package. The market launch of the new models is due to start in August 2021.

High-revving and with motor racing expertise.

The in-line 6-cylinder engine in the BMW X3 M Competition and BMW X4 M Competition now features the forged lightweight crankshaft of the BMW M3 and M4 models. Its extremely torsion-resistant design enables transmission of the particularly high torque, while its low weight and reduced rotating masses also benefit the engine's revving power. The in-line 6-cylinder engine's racetrack-proven cooling system is designed to enable an exceptionally high level of output and includes two laterally positioned radiators in addition to the central one. There is also an additional engine oil cooler and a separate transmission oil cooler. BMW M GmbH motor racing expertise is also evident in the design of the oil supply system, which is geared towards dynamic racetrack operation. The engine's weight-optimised oil pan has two separate chambers and an integrated suction channel. An additional suction stage enables the map-controlled oil pump to deliver lubricant from the smaller oil sump, which serves as a volume buffer. In this way, a reliable oil supply is guaranteed at all times, even during extreme longitudinal and lateral acceleration.
​​​​​​​
Old 06-09-2021, 09:05 AM
Ex-OEM King

Why do all new BMW's look like they've been viciously beaten with an ugly stick? The previous X3M looked great, this just looks like it's trying too hard. The front end looks like it's out to play hockey and the tail lights look like pen0rs in a swordfight.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:28 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,143 Likes on 4,810 Posts
Ooof, this update looks terrible. The engine upgrades are nice though.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

That can be said just about every new model and trim they recently released...

Interior A
Engine A+
Exterior D-