BMW: X2 News

Old 09-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
BMW: X2 News

The BMW Group has chosen the 2016 Paris Motor Show to present the BMW Concept X2. This new addition to the compact segment has a distinctive design that stands apart from that of the other X models and also draws on the BMW Group's history of coupe-making. The result is a compact concept exuding urban sporting appeal.

"The BMW Concept X2 is a vehicle for active people looking for a combination of enjoyment and practicality," explains Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design. "The concept displays a new and exciting facet of the BMW brand within the compact segment."

The design - a successful blend of dynamic appeal and solidity

The design of the BMW Concept X2 fuses apparent contradictions into a single coherent statement. "The BMW Concept X2 combines the fast-moving body language and low-slung proportions of a coupe with the robust construction of an X model. This is a sporty vehicle with a bold character, and it allows us to open up some fascinating new design possibilities for the BMW brand," says Karim Habib, Head of BMW Design.

The distinctive character of the BMW Concept X2 already shines through in the car's proportions. While its large wheels and familiar two-box design underline its functional X model character, a long wheelbase, stretched roofline, short overhangs and heavily forward-slanting C-pillar give the body a sporty, low-to-the-road feel. The interplay of the darker cladding surfaces and striking Luminous Red body colour make the Concept X2 look even slimmer from the side.

Two facets to a singular character - the side view

The upper section of the car's flanks is dominated by sporty design elements. The elongated roofline and slim window graphic create a stretched feel. The glasshouse tapers towards the rear, forming an athletic shoulder section. The window graphic surrounds and integrated two-piece mirror bases (both made from brushed aluminium) add an extra touch of class. The thickness of the aluminium profile plays a contrasting role here. The window graphic is rounded off by a dynamic interpretation of the hallmark BMW Hofmeister kink. Like the logo on the C-pillar - a classically sporty coupe design cue straight out of the BMW history books - this represents a singularly unmistakeable detail. The large, air-channelling roof spoiler in body colour lies flat over the blackened rear window. Extending from the C-pillars, it gives the rear of the BMW Concept X2 its sporty contours.

Lower down the sides of the car, customary X-model features hog the limelight. Muscular surfaces, large wheel arches and stylistic underfloor protection around the door sills form an intriguing contrast with the dynamic elements further up. Focusing for a moment on more detailed features, the surfaces of the car's flanks bring together large, smoothly modelled sections with precise edges, showcasing the car's athletic presence. The dramatic surfacing also emphasises the almost squared-off wheel arches familiar from the car's BMW X stablemates. In them sit large, 21-inch light-alloy wheels, whose striking, double-spoke, bi-colour design with a strong sense of threedimensionality continues the contrast between dynamic appeal and solidity into the car's details. Tyres with chunky treads point to the potential for fun off the beaten track, while door sills in body colour with integral hexagonal elements set the seal on the robust appearance of the car's sides at their lowest point.

Dynamism and presence - the front end

The front-end design of the BMW Concept X2 likewise fuses dynamic elements with a robust use of forms. Clearly contoured volumes and subtle edges create a front-end impression with presence and sporting appeal in abundance. The heavily raked windscreen appears to extend seamlessly into the dark panoramic roof and teams up with the newly interpreted double kidney grille and large air intakes to give the front end a slow-slung look. The kidneys are sited a little lower than the headlights, and the central air intake is closer to the road than the two outer intakes. This makes the centre of the car appear lower, underlining the dynamic verve of the front-end design.

The kidneys turn the familiar trapezoidal shape of BMW grilles on its head and instead widen from top to bottom. This clear statement therefore accentuates the standalone nature of the BMW Concept X2, as well as the width of the front and the car's solid stance. Graphically modelled and heavily angled bars within the kidney grille create an undeniable "shark nose" effect, bringing additional depth and sculptural richness to this area of the car.

The flat contours of the headlight tubes help to give the classical BMW twin circular look a more hexagonal form. The laser light technology used by the headlights enables very slim light graphics, while the blue X in the centre of the hexagonal tubes adds a further technical accent.

The front apron is dominated by the large central air intake below the kidney grille, which helps to quench the Concept X2's thirst for cooling air. The smaller, triangular air intakes on either side highlight the car's broad stance. The robust, horizontal slats of the air intakes provide a solid counterpoint to the dynamic design of the front apron and add further detailed emphasis of the front-end's traditional X-model character.

A powerful statement - the rear end

The rear of the BMW Concept X2 rounds off the exterior design in distinctive style. Width-accentuating elements such as the slim rear window and horizontal lines reduce the perceived height of the BMW Concept X2 and underscore its sporting pretentions. From this angle you can also see how the rear window emerges elegantly from below the air-channelling spoiler and underlines the car's sporting character. The prominent tapering of the glasshouse along the sides of the Concept X2 also catches the eye. It forms a powerful shoulder area, allowing it to highlight the car's broad, muscular stance. Below the glasshouse, the sharply drawn rear lights radiate dynamic intent. The fresh interpretation of the lights' familiar "L" shape frames the LED element as an illuminating three-dimensional sculpture that projects from the rear to eye-catching effect.

Located between the rear lights is the BMW logo. Below, the almost uninterrupted transition from tailgate to rear apron creates a cohesive overall picture which spotlights the car's crisp surface language with particular clarity. The dark cladding below the rear apron lifts the whole rear end visually, while at the same time giving its upper section a slimmer look. The body-colour rear apron provides a dynamic flourish to round off the lower reaches of the rear. A large tailpipe at either outer extreme emphasises the car's broad stance, while the surrounding surfaces reference the three-way split and overall form of the front air intakes.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I like everything except the proton cannons out back
The following users liked this post:
Belzebutt (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
eh I am not that thrilled about this at all, it's OK but nothing crazy
Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I like it. I especially like the throwback putting the roundels the D pillars.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
I can't figure out for the life of me why BMW thinks any vehicle modeled after the X6 is a good idea.
ttribe (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I love the X6. I don't understand why it gets so much hate. I absolutely love the sloping roofline.

I like this thing too- the proton cannons out back would never make it to production, that's for sure. The D pillar badges are an eyesore.
Sarlacc (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:38 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I can't figure out for the life of me why BMW thinks any vehicle modeled after the X6 is a good idea.
Because the X6 sells.

Because Mercedes took that formula and applied it ALL their vehicles and they are selling. So bimmer will do that same.

Just because you, and others, dont like the X6, X4 etc doesn't mean that everyone hates it.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by TacoBello
The D pillar badges are an eyesore.
Agree to disagree. Its classic bimmer.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

I know it's classic... I never liked it in the past either though.

One of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" scenarios. Lots of hate for the X6, and yet I love it. I'm sure it's the same for the D pillar badges.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM

I'm in the anti-X6/4 camp as well, but this one works a bit better for me, from an aesthetic POV. If it goes through to production, we'll see how much of the concept remains.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Because the X6 sells.

Because Mercedes took that formula and applied it ALL their vehicles and they are selling. So bimmer will do that same.

Just because you, and others, dont like the X6, X4 etc doesn't mean that everyone hates it.
X6 sells, X4 is pretty much dead in terms of sales #s here in CA.

This car would be a winner if BMW did not already have X1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Old 09-30-2016, 06:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Most obviously.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Oh, geez, not another one.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
At least this one is a proper wagon, it shouldn't command the same hate as the X6. What's the difference between this and a Mazda CX-3? Nobody gets upset over the CX-3.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:45 PM

^in pictures, I cant tell how tall the CX-3 is....but then seeing it in person...i'm like... that's small.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
X6 sells, X4 is pretty much dead in terms of sales #s here in CA.

This car would be a winner if BMW did not already have X1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
I wonder how much a lease steal I could get on an X4 when my wife lease is up next year...
Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Only one way to find out!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

I wonder how much a lease steal I could get on an X4 when my wife lease is up next year...
To my knowledge, the lease program for X4 is very bad. You would assume that they would offer something for models that are not moving. Nope, dealers don't have a lot of X4 in their inventory.

I know you can get into an X5 40e with the tax incentives for about the same price as an X4.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2019-x2/

The BMW X2 is more than just a new BMW X model. With its unmistakable design and sporty, urban genes, it makes a confident impression both in its class and within the BMW X model family.

The Sports Activity Coupe goes above and beyond any rival past or present in bringing joy and driving pleasure to the segment. Its inimitable character appeals most strongly to young, extrovert and active people who attach great value to individuality, genuine fun at the wheel and lifestyle matters, without wanting to leave themselves short on functionality.

The car's chassis and xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system promise undiluted driving fun, and cutting-edge engines strike the ideal balance between sporting dynamics and exceptional efficiency. The digital services from BMW ConnectedDrive and BMW ConnectedDrive Services - both of which are now available in freshly updated form - add further intensity to the overall BMW X2 experience.

Design

The bold, uncompromising nature of the new BMW X2 is evident at first sight. This vehicle stands out from the crowd in any setting. Even next to its bigger brothers, the BMW X4 and X6, the BMW X2 makes a wholly distinctive impression. The main contributing factor here is the car's exterior design, which essentially combines the fast-moving body language and low-slung proportions of a coupe with the robust construction of a BMW X model.

"The BMW X2 represents an expression of modern and extrovert vehicle dynamics," says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design, in describing the new BMW X2. "Its standalone vehicle concept brings a new, fresh and exciting facet of the BMW to the compact segment."

On the road, the BMW X2 has the poise of an athlete in peak condition. This is true for the basic version and even more so for M Sport and M Sport X models. The BMW X2 M Sport X combines design elements from BMW M and the BMW X family.

Eloquent looks, dynamic proportions

Above all, it is the BMW X2's proportions which create its expressive, dynamic demeanour. It is shorter and more than seven centimetres lower than the BMW X1 yet has the same wheelbase. Featuring short overhangs, it also has a stretched, coupe-style roofline and slim window graphic.

"The BMW X2 fuses the fast-moving forms of a coupe with the robust volumes of an X model," sums up Thomas Sycha, Head of Design BMW Compact Class. "It was important to us to make these apparently conflicting aspects of the BMW X2 and the car's individual character something you experience from every angle and at first glance."

A distinctive character that departs from the BMW script

Many of the design details emphasise the BMW X2's standalone nature while simultaneously and unequivocally signalling its membership of the X family. The time-honoured BMW kidney grille is just one example, turning the familiar trapezoidal shape on its head and instead widening from top to bottom. This is the first time this design detail has seen the light of day on a modern BMW.

Another striking detail more typical of a BMW coupe is the placement of the brand logo on the C-pillars. Reminiscent of legendary BMW models such as the 2000 CS and 3.0 CSL, this is another element that underscores the sporting aspirations of the BMW X2.

Design highlights: front end

The kidney grille has always been an identifying feature of a BMW. On the BMW X2, however, its outline is wider at its base than at its top. The X2 is the first modern BMW to feature this design cue, and it gives the new car a broader, even more distinctive and even sportier appearance. Below the grille, the hexagonal surface treatment in the bumper further reinforces this impression. The kidney grille provides a visual expression of the BMW X2's classy appeal. The fronts to the grille bars in High-gloss Black contrast with the grille's chrome surround.

Headlights

The design of the BMW X2's headlights reinforces its striking, sporty looks. Familiar twin circular elements (including LED daytime driving lights) combine with the foglamps to create the characteristic six-eyed face of the X family and make the vehicle instantly recognisable. Because the inner headlights are slightly narrower than the outer ones, the BMW X2 assumes a tangible air of concentration and dynamism. Moreover, shiny chrome surfaces add a highquality touch while a chrome bar at the outer edges enhances the impression of width.

Full-LED headlights are available as an option for the BMW X2. The bi-LED light for low beam and high beam is extremely bright and effective at illuminating the road, while also accentuating the BMW X2's sporty looks particularly impressively. The headlights display fine detailing, achieved in part through hexagonal LED daytime driving light tubes and laser engraving.

Wheels

The BMW X2 has a poised on-road stance thanks to large wheels and a striking wheel rim design. The M Sport and M Sport X models are available with wheels in sizes up to 20 inches - a standout feature in this vehicle segment. As standard, both models are available with 19-inch wheels. The standard rims for the BMW X2 are 17-inch style 560 items, but ten other rim designs (including the M wheels for the BMW X2 M Sport and M Sport X) can be specified as an option.

Side skirts

The side skirts of the BMW X2 are among its signature features and contribute in no small part to its rugged and assured good looks. Their design varies depending on specification. The cladding is black on the basic version of the car and visible from all angles. This creates a rugged look typical of X family models, gives the appearance of high ground clearance and ensures it is easily recognised. At the same time, it is immediately clear that this is a new, standalone member of the BMW X family. The side skirts of the BMW X2 M Sport feature a greater degree of body colour, which brings the car visually closer to the road. The BMW X2 M Sport X, meanwhile, has specially designed cladding inserts in Frozen Grey. When viewed from the side, this lighter colour shade generates an impression of higher ground clearance compared with the BMW X2 M Sport and ensures this model stands apart clearly from its stablemates.

BMW roundel on the C-pillars

The C-pillars host two characteristic BMW features: the hallmark BMW Hofmeister kink and, for the first time on a BMW X model, the BMW roundel. There is something special about the design of both these items. As an integral element of the C-pillar, the Hofmeister kink on the BMW X2 is slightly elongated and does not cross over the door line. This boosts the sporty looks of this Sports Activity Coupe. The BMW roundel on the C-pillars invokes a design cue much admired on classic BMW coupes such as the 2000 CS and 3.0 CSL, and ensures the car is instantly recognisable on the road.

Roofline

The roofline of the BMW X2 has an almost coupe-like lightness, which gives the whole car the impression of surging forward like an athlete. A key contributor here is the styling above the familiar BMW swage line, where the body tapers in sharply towards the glasshouse. These athletic shoulders generate a large number of light surfaces in the upper section of the BMW X2 makes the glasshouse appear lighter. The extremely slim window graphic teams up with the optional M rear spoiler to inject extra dynamism into the car's proportions.

Design highlights: rear end

The rear spoiler provides a dynamic flourish to round off the BMW X2's roofline. As well as emphasising the car's sportiness, it also underscores the narrow look of the rear window area. Together with the width-enhancing rear bumper, this creates an extremely powerful rear view. In addition, the rear spoiler with side-mounted aero edges in High-gloss Black is one of the contributory factors in the BMW X2's impressive aerodynamics (Cd 0.28). The standard rear spoiler can be replaced on the M Sport und M Sport X models with the even sportier M rear spoiler from the options list.

Rear lights

The horizontal design lines of the BMW X2's rear end tighten the visual distance between the car and the road, emphasising the car's width and therefore its sporty character. These lines continue into the high-set rear lights. The LED rear lights represent a symbiosis of the T-shape lighting contour shared by other BMW X models and the L shape familiar from BMW coupes. This iconographic light signature includes a precise LED strip on the inside the rear light units. The BMW X2 is therefore clearly recognisable, even in the dark.

Rear bumper

The BMW X2 has a broad, planted stance on the road, especially when viewed from the rear. Creating this impression of width are the horizontal design lines and distinctive rear bumper. The latter's design will vary depending on the car's specification. On the standard car, it comes in the vehicle colour and matt black. The BMW X2 M Sport features a diffuser-look cladding inlay in Dark Shadow metallic. The BMW X2 M Sport X, meanwhile, gets a bespoke diffusor insert in the contrast colour Frozen Grey. On all models, the new rear bumper and tailgate design sees the latter sitting flush with the rear apron. And that gives the rear end a supremely harmonious feel.

Tailpipes

One of the ways the BMW X2 expresses the inherent power of its BMW TwinPower Turbo engines is through the design of the tailpipes. Depending on the engine specified, the X2 may come with a single or twin arrangement. The tailpipes are 90 mm in diameter.

Model variants

Not only does the launch of the new X2 add a new member to the BMW X family, the new M Sport X model is also making its debut.

The BMW X2: powerful and agile

The BMW X2 has an invigoratingly fresh feel to it even in its basic specification. It immediately stands out as a BMW X model, yet it has a highly distinctive appearance, too. This is partly down to its different proportions, the execution of many of its details, the placement of the BMW roundel and the reinterpretation of a BMW design icon - the kidney grille. Plus, the black strip of cladding encircling the body produces the characteristically robust X model look, while lending visual emphasis to the ground clearance.

Exterior colours

The BMW X2 comes in a Black non-metallic paint finish as standard. Nine further exterior colours are optionally available, including the new Galvanic Gold metallic finish.

Wheels

The BMW X2 rides as standard on 17-inch style 560 wheels that radiate a powerful aura. The list of optional extras includes two more 17-inch designs, three in an 18-inch format and the 19-inch style 511 rim.

Upholstery

The BMW X2 is upholstered as standard in Grid cloth Anthracite, but customers also have numerous options to choose from. They include Race cloth Anthracite with contrast stitching, and four shades of Dakota leather with coordinated contrast stitching and part-perforation, including the sensational new Dakota leather Magma Red.

Trim finishers

The trim finishers in the BMW X2 reinforce the car's high-class appeal. Trim finishers in Oxide Silver Dark with a High-gloss Black accent strip are fitted as standard. Four further trim finishers are available as an option with accent strips in Pearl-effect Chrome and contour lighting in the door trim.

The BMW X2 M Sport: visible dynamism

The BMW X2 M Sport has its stylistic roots in classic circuit racing. The bodycoloured side skirts with an inlay in Dark Shadow metallic brings the car visually closer to the road. The front and rear bumpers feature a particularly dynamic and eye-catching design. Added to which, the large diffuser insert in the rear apron and the styling element in the front apron sport a Dark Shadow metallic finish, which lends the exterior an added touch of class and creates a cool, technical look.

Exterior colours

The standard exterior colour for the BMW X2 M Sport is Alpine White nonmetallic. Five more exterior paint finishes are optionally available, including the new, particularly youthful and modern Misano Blue metallic - which is exclusive to the BMW X2 M Sport and M Sport X.

Wheels

In keeping with the dynamic character of the BMW X2 M Sport, this model comes as standard with large 19-inch style 715 M wheels. But there is also the option of 20-inch 716 M wheels.

Upholstery

The Micro Hexagon fabric Anthracite/Alcantara combination with M piping and contrast stitching in Blue used for the cabin of the BMW X2 M Sport clearly spells both quality and sportiness. An array of other upholstery options let every BMW X2 owner tailor the interior to their personal preferences. The Dakota leather Black variant with M piping and blue contrast stitching is only available for the BMW X2 M Sport and M Sport X.

Trim finishers

BMW X2 M Sport drivers have a wide choice here, starting with the standard Aluminium Hexagon trim finisher with accent strip in matt blue. Five more trim finishers can be selected as options, all of which come with a coordinated accent strip as well as contour lighting in the door trim.

The BMW X2 M Sport X: inspired by the world of rally racing

The design of the BMW X2 M Sport X brings the vehicle's sporty X character to the fore. Taking its cue from the add-on parts, decals and paint finishes in complementary colours familiar from rally cars, here prominent use is made of the colour Frozen Grey to produce an overall picture of striking contrasts. This shade is used for features such as the specific M Sport X elements, which are visible from virtually every angle, and ensures ground clearance appears greater than on the BMW X2 M Sport when the car is viewed in profile. Further standout features of the M Sport X model include the extremely dynamic bumper styling.

"With the BMW X2 we're introducing our new M Sport X model variant," says Marcus Syring, Head of Design BMW M Automobiles. "The richly contrasting signature colour Frozen Grey and recurring hexagonal elements are among its defining visual features. This model variant is inspired by rally racing. It embodies our interpretation of a new, young 'M' dynamic and offers a nuanced manifestation of sportiness."

Exterior colours

The standard exterior colour for the BMW X2 M Sport X is Alpine White nonmetallic, against which the wraparound signature shade Frozen Grey produces a stunning visual contrast. Seven more exterior colours are available as an option, including the Galvanic Gold metallic finish that gives added impact to the character of the BMW X2 M Sport X.

Wheels

The 19-inch style 722 M wheels fitted on the BMW X2 M Sport X as standard are exclusive to this X2 model variant. The optionally available 20-inch wheels in style 717 M really grab the attention - not just with their size, but their extravagant design, too.

Upholstery

With its Micro Hexagon fabric/Alcantara Anthracite combination with M piping and contrast stitching in Yellow, the BMW X2 M Sport X accentuates the model's superb quality and sporting ambience. A large number of other upholstery options, including four Dakota leather variants, allow BMW X2 drivers to customise the interior as they please. The Dakota leather Black upholstery with M piping and blue contrast stitching is only available in the M Sport X and M Sport models.

Trim finishers

The new Aluminium Hexagon Anthracite trim finisher with an accent strip in Pearl-effect Chrome can be specified for both the BMW X2 M Sport X and X2 M Sport. Its design mirrors the hexagonal structure that is also a characteristic feature of the new BMW X2's exterior styling. Five further trim finishers are optionally available and all include an accent strip that matches the specific trim finisher, as well as contour lighting in the door trim.

Interior and equipment

The interior of the BMW X2 blends signature BMW elements, such as a pronounced driver focus and dynamic lines, with the understated ruggedness of a BMW X model. The high-class quality of the BMW X2 and its impressive level of equipment, even in the basic version, are both instantly apparent.

The instrument panel has contrast stitching and decorative stitching as standard, while the centre console features materials including Sensatec with contrast stitching. The interior of the M Sport and M Sport X models is trimmed in a Micro Hexagon fabric/Alcantara Anthracite combination. Eyecatching highlights can be added by opting for the newly available perforated Dakota leather in Magma Red or the Micro Hexagon fabric/Alcantara Anthracite combination upholstery with yellow contrast stitching to match the Galvanic Gold metallic exterior paint shade.

The new BMW X2 deftly combines all of this with a generous helping of everyday practicality. The boot has a capacity of 470 litres, meaning it can effortlessly handle leisure activities, from shopping sprees to a skiing weekend or mountain-bike tour. This high level of functionality manifests itself in the passenger compartment too, thanks to features such as a door design featuring large pockets and stowage bins lower down.

Driver focus

The cabin of the BMW X2 is focused on the driver, with the design of features such as the instrument panel binnacle clearly directed at the road ahead. All controls are ergonomically positioned to allow the driver to assimilate their information with a single glance and operate them with supreme ease. This all helps to transform the driver's seat into an exclusive driving environment where the sportiness that the BMW X2 oozes through every inch of a journey can be experienced with special intensity.

Raised seating position

The driver and passengers are seated in an elevated position in typical BMW X-model fashion. This results in an excellent all-round view and places the driver in complete control of the driving situation. Both the driver and passengers seem to be looking down on the instrument panel, which reinforces the impression of an optimum view over the road - combined with flawless operability.

Materials

The BMW X2 makes quality something its owners can experience. The softly foamed instrument panel is pleasant to the touch gains further visual appeal with contrast stitching and decorative stitching. The M Sport and M Sport X models come with Micro Hexagon fabric/Alcantara Anthracite combination upholstery with M piping and blue or yellow contrast stitching on the instrument panel and the centre console as standard. Further sophisticated upholstery variants are available as options, including as many as five Dakota leather variants with part-perforation and coordinated contrast stitching. The choice of trim finishers, including High-gloss Black, Aluminium and matt Oak Grain variants, further underlines the high-quality credentials of the BMW X2.

Controls

All functional controls in the centre console are set in high-gloss black fascias as standard, giving the interior a special touch of timeless elegance.

Lighting package

The optional lighting package allows drivers to set a stylish lighting mood for the interior of their BMW X2 by choosing from the colours Orange, Lilac, Mint, Bronze, Blue and White. The LED lighting in the trim surfaces of the instrument panel and door panels forms a continuous band that extends all the way around the cabin to the rear. The way in which the monitor and control consoles seem to be almost floating above and in front of the instrument panel is a particularly stunning effect of the night-time look.

Black panel technology

The modern black panel technology included in every BMW X2 as standard is one of its standout features. Employed for both the instrument cluster and the information display, it highlights the vehicle's high level of technical sophistication.

Panoramic roof

The panoramic roof found on the list of optional extras further adds to the sense of spaciousness inside the BMW X2 and bathes the passenger compartment in light. The front section of the panoramic roof tilts and slides open, just like a conventional sunroof.

Driving dynamics

BMW X2 drivers think differently, they break with conventions and they lead the way. So the BMW X2 really is the perfect car for them.

The Sports Activity Coupe cuts a dashing figure on every journey, not least thanks to its peerless BMW TwinPower Turbo engines and sophisticated powertrain. These components team up with the car's refined chassis to endow it with class-beating handling qualities, exceptional agility and superb feedback, thereby allowing the BMW X2 to generate levels of driving pleasure unprecedented in this segment.

The BMW X2 will initially be launched with a choice of three engine variants, which will be expanded just a few months later to span a total of four petrol engine/transmission and five diesel engine/transmission combinations.

Exhilarating sportiness on all roads

The common denominator of all BMW X2 models is a further improved chassis that transfers the immense agility and dynamism of the BMW engines to the road, thus providing an excellent basis for a thrilling driving experience. The car's driving responses can be adapted with a simple push of the Driving Experience Control switch, which allows drivers to choose between default COMFORT mode, efficiency-enhancing ECO PRO mode and SPORT mode. The pre-programmed set-up available via SPORT mode gives the car even more dynamic steering and powertrain responses.

If the optional Dynamic Damper Control (incl. 10 mm lower ride height) is specified, the car's suspension can be adjusted even more precisely to individual tastes and requirements. Drivers can choose between two settings - COMFORT or SPORT - using the Driving Experience Control switch. The result is sporty suspension offering solid roadholding and reassuring comfort over any surface.

The M Sport suspension fitted as standard on the BMW X2 M Sport and M Sport X (optional for the basic X2) is a particularly good match for these two models and includes tauter spring and damper tuning. BMW X2 models specified with M Sport suspension are also lowered by 10 mm for even sportier roadholding and the specially adapted anti-roll bar bearings which come with M Sport suspension and Dynamic Damper Control also provide enhanced sportiness and dynamism.

Dual-clutch transmission and xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive

First though, the newcomer will be launched with a choice of the BMW X2 sDrive20i petrol model (fuel consumption combined: 5.9 - 5.5 l/100 km [47.9 - 51.4 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 134 - 126 g/km), plus the X2 xDrive20d diesel variant (fuel consumption combined: 4.8 - 4.6 l/100 km [58.9 - 61.4 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 126 - 121 g/km) and X2 xDrive25d diesel (fuel consumption combined: 5.3 - 5.1 l/100 km [53.3 - 55.4 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 139 - 133 g/km). The petrol variant is equipped with the sporty seven-speed Steptronic dual-clutch transmission, which stands out with both its swift gear changes and highly efficient operation, making it another factor in the low CO2 figure. The 141 kW / 192 hp 2.0-litre four-cylinder unit delivers remarkable performance figures, too. The sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) is over in a rapid 7.7 seconds and top speed is 227 km/h (141 mph).

Both diesel models come equipped with xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive as standard. The integral Hill Descent Control feature enables the BMW X2 to automatically maintain a desired speed on steep descents by taking care of brake control for the driver, who can then devote their attention to the task of steering.

Excellent efficiency and top-class aerodynamics

The 2.0-litre diesel engine under the bonnet of the BMW X2 xDrive25d generates output of 170 kW / 231 hp and peak torque of 450 Nm (332 lb-ft). Despite emitting only 139 - 133 g/km of CO2 on the combined fuel consumption cycle, the flagship diesel model in the BMW X2 line-up reaches the 100 km/h (62 mph) mark from a standing start in an impressive 6.7 seconds. Both diesel engines link up with the eight-speed Steptronic transmission. All automatic models can also be specified as an option with gearshift paddles on the sports steering wheel, allowing the exceedingly agile BMW X2 to be driven in an even sportier fashion.

With a drag coefficient of just Cd 0.28, the X2 xDrive20d is one of the most aerodynamically efficient models in the whole segment. It generates maximum output of 140 kW / 190 hp and belies its muscular 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque with combined CO2 emissions of just 126 - 121 g/km.

Further attractive variants of the BMW X2 will be added to the Sports Activity Coupe's line-up in early 2018 - in the shape of the threecylinder X2 sDrive18i and the four-cylinder X2 xDrive20i, X2 sDrive18d and X2 xDrive18d.

The outputs of the petrol models range from 103 kW / 140 hp in the X2 sDrive18i (with manual gearbox, fuel consumption combined: 6.3 - 6.0 l/100 km [44.8 - 47.1 mpg imp], CO2 emissions combined: 144 - 138 g/km; with seven-speed Steptronic dual-clutch transmission, fuel consumption combined: 6.2 - 5.9 l/100 km [45.6 - 47.9 mpg imp], CO2 emissions combined: 141 - 135 g/km) up to 141 kW /192 hp in the X2 xDrive20i (fuel consumption combined: 6.2 - 6.1 l/100 km [45.6 - 46.3 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 142 - 138 g/km). The diesel X2 sDrive18d (with manual gearbox, fuel consumption combined: 4.6 - 4.5 l/100 km [61.4 - 62.8 mpg imp], CO2 emissions combined: 121 - 119 g/km; with eight-speed Steptronic transmission, fuel consumption combined: 4.7 - 4.5 l/100 km [60.1 - 62.8 mpg imp], CO2 emissions combined: 124 - 118 g/km) and X2 xDrive18d (fuel consumption combined: 5.2 - 4.8 l/100 km [54.3 - 58.9 mpg imp], CO2 emissions combined: 137 - 128 g/km) have 110 kW / 150 hp.

Digital services in the new BMW X2

As far as BMW is concerned, there is one thing that always comes first in a connected vehicle: the task of driving. For this reason, all of the BMW ConnectedDrive and BMW Connected elements in the new BMW X2 have once again been designed to assist, inform or entertain the driver at the appropriate time using just the right services.

Intuitive interaction between driver and vehicle forms the basis for top-class connectivity. The new BMW X2 offers its driver three different ways of interacting with their car, as the sixth generation of the iDrive control concept now supplements the familiar iDrive Controller and optional voice control with touchscreen operation for the Control Display (also optional). The touchscreen can also be used comfortably by the front passenger.

"We focused on presenting the customer's interaction pathways with the car via the displays in a visually appealing and coherent way, as well as making them intuitive to use," explains Gernot Schmierer, Head of User Experience Design for BMW Group Design. "With the BMW X2, we're giving our customers the chance to interact with their car in the way they feel most comfortable. The BMW X2 uses the optional touch functionality and the optional Head-Up Display to offer a first-class customer experience in this vehicle segment."

Intuitive usability and displays

Standard specification for every BMW X2 includes a 6.5-inch freestanding Control Display. This is upgraded to a 6.5-inch or 8.8-inch Touch Control Display if a navigation system is selected. The display concept is designed to provide the driver with a quick summary of the most important information at any particular time by means of, for example, the tiles that appear in the display's main menu. If an optional navigation system is specified, its operation emulates the intuitive touch control principles familiar from smartphones.

For even greater safety and convenience in the BMW X2, there is the option of the full-colour BMW Head-Up Display, which projects all important driving information and navigation/assistance system readouts onto the windscreen and therefore into the driver's field of view - in high resolution.

Intelligently connected

The integration of BMW Connected and BMW ConnectedDrive Services focuses on the needs of the BMW X2 driver. These digital services and comfort-enhancing functions enable X2 drivers to organise their daily routines as efficiently as possible, both inside and outside the car - and, in so doing, allow them more time to enjoy life.

BMW Connected+ provides a digital bridge between smartphones and the car. It delivers the next level of in-car personalisation and smartphone content integration on the Control Display of the X2. This makes display and operation in the vehicle simpler than ever. One example of a new Connected+ service is Share Live Trip Status, which makes the question "What's your ETA" a thing of the past; the driver can share their current location and time of arrival with business partners, friends or family.

Among the other highlight features enabling connectivity anytime, anywhere are the optional WiFi hotspot preparation, which equips the BMW X2 to host a built-in WiFi hotspot with LTE speeds, and the optional telephony with wireless charging for compatible smartphones. The optional Apple CarPlay® preparation, meanwhile, enables easy, wireless in-car use of selected iPhone functions.

Driver assistance systems: drive with assurance, arrive relaxed

Not only does the BMW X2 offer drivers a wide selection of driver assistance systems, it also boasts highly advanced technologies.

The camera-based assistance systems available for the new BMW X2 help to ensure greater assurance and safety in different driving situations. The optional Driving Assistant includes Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info with No Passing Info display, High Beam Assistant, Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function. In addition to these functions, the Driving Assistant Plus line-up also features the Active Cruise Control system with Stop & Go function - which maintains both a desired speed between 30 and 140 km/h (19 - 87 mph) entered by the driver and the safety distance to vehicles travelling ahead - and the Traffic Jam Assistant. At speeds up to 60 km/h (37 mph), this function takes over both proximity control and lane-keeping tasks from the driver. The Traffic Jam Assistant uses steering assistance to keep the car reliably in the middle of its lane, but the driver needs to have at least one hand on the steering wheel for the system to work.

Park Distance Control and the rear-view camera, whose images are transferred onto the Control Display, make precise and comfortable manoeuvring that much easier. The likewise optional Parking Assistant also helps the driver to find and make use of parallel parking spaces.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM

Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 PM

no proton cannons
Old 10-26-2017, 05:30 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
I like the front and side profiles. Don't like the rear. And the BMW roundel on the C pillar =

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 10-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

I really do not see the point of this other than competing with X1 and X3. or maybe i dont see the point of having the X1 anymore.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:33 AM
The Third Ball

I really do not see the point of this other than competing with X1 and X3. or maybe i dont see the point of having the X1 anymore.
Considering this has less usable interior space than either of those, I still question why this. I didn't think the GLA was THAT popular...we all know the infiniti version sure isn't.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
And the BMW roundel on the C pillar =
IF I ever bought that, the badges would be pried off before it left the dealer.

EDIT: I got on BMW's site and grabbed a screen shot of the C pillar. If you debadge then you'll be left with a remaining recessed round hole on the C pillar.

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 10-27-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
IF I ever bought that, the badges would be pried off before it left the dealer.

EDIT: I got on BMW's site and grabbed a screen shot of the C pillar. If you debadge then you'll be left with a remaining recessed round hole on the C pillar.

haha oh damn I didn't even notice those. It's like they went with a logic of how to sell an ugly useless car to brand whores, PUT MORE BMW BADGES ON IT AND IT WILL SELL
Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

actually, a few of the older BMW's had the badge on the C pillar

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 10-27-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

and yes, I would definitely rock one of these cars for a summer time ride.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
I like the front and side profiles. Don't like the rear. And the BMW roundel on the C pillar =
The M1 was the first thing I thought of with the C-pillar roundels.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:03 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
The M1 was the first thing I thought of with the C-pillar roundels.
M1 and the CS...its a heritage thing, and made me laugh when people immediately shit on it. Its one if the few styling cues on it that I like.
ttribe (10-27-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Considering this has less usable interior space than either of those, I still question why this. I didn't think the GLA was THAT popular...we all know the infiniti version sure isn't.
Even from Market segment prospective, it still does not make sense.
I dont think even Mercedes has the product to compete with X1, X2 and X3... I mean they have the GLA and CLC... I thought GLA was competing with X1 and GLC was with X3....

Now we can argue that GLA is competing with X2.... then what is the point of X1?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 AM
The Third Ball

Now we can argue that GLA is competing with X2.... then what is the point of X1?
A "cheap" entry to getting a bmw?

We were looking at the new X1 (even though I abhor it being FWD) when we ended up with the X3 at a better deal. One could argue what is the point of the X5 when the X3 is damn near as big interior dimension wise.

Shit...I almost have to double take now to make if I'm looking at a X1, 3, or 5....
Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

The X5 is a completely different car inside and out so let's not get carried away and the new X5 is coming soon.

But X1 and X2 imo is redundant
Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 AM

M35i

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2019-x2_m35i/

Sportiness coupled with a polarising appearance - based on this formula, the new BMW X2 has inspired above all a young and modern target group following its premiere in March 2018. With its extroverted design, the BMW X2 interprets the character of a premium SAC (Sports Activity Coupes) in an entirely new way within the compact segment.

The top-of-the-range version of the BMW X2 is the M Performance automobile
BMW is now presenting the new top model of the X2 series. The wide BMW double kidney grille of new BMW X2 M35i (combined fuel consumption 8.4-8.1 l/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 191-185 g/km), features a surround in Cerium Grey for visual differentiation at first glance. Likewise, the surrounds of the air cooling inlets and the exterior mirror caps are finished in Cerium Grey. The rear of the X2 M35i is characterised by the standard M rear spoiler and two specially designed exhaust tailpipes, which also come in Cerium Grey.

BMW's most powerful 2-litre TwinPower Turbo engine
The new BMW X2 M35i featuring a 225 kW (306 hp) 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine definitely sets new benchmarks above the previous versions. As the letter M in the type designation clearly signalises, the new X2 M35i possesses the impressive dynamic handling qualities of an M Performance automobile. Behind this is yet again the BMW M GmbH, whose racing know-how flows into the development of all components. The 2-litre TwinPower Turbo engine concealed under an M Performance cover is the very first M Performance four-cylinder engine and at the same time BMW's most powerful version. It delivers a fascinating maximum power output of 225 kW (306 hp). Maximum torque is an extremely powerful 450 Newton metres. To ensure that this sheer power is securely transferred to the tarmac, the X2 M35i comes as standard with intelligent four-wheel drive technology xDrive in conjunction with the 8-speed Steptronic transmission including Launch Control. The automatic transmission features specific M Performance tuning. Equipped in this way, the BMW X2 M35i is able to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.9 seconds. The necessary thermal stability of the engine is now ensured by a redesigned cooling system.

Outstanding driving dynamics thanks to M-specific tuning
Being a typical M Performance automobile, the BMW X2 M35i features, in addition to a powerful engine, also a M Sport suspension system that has been specifically tuned and adapted to match the car's sporty character. A adaptive suspension offering two different manually adjustable modes and combining maximised sportiness and driving comfort is also optionally available. A particularly special technical highlight - and also a premiere for an M Performance automobile - is the M Sport Differential installed in the front axle gear. During highly dynamic driving manoeuvres, this locking differential most effectively reduces possible traction losses on the front wheels. In addition, the braking system has been upgraded for use on the X2 M35i. The M Sport braking system with fixed callipers in Dark Blue metallic and 18-inch steel discs at the front (17-inch at the rear) guarantees consistently short braking distances even under the highest loads. With that, however, the M know-how is still far from being exhausted. Steering and suspension have also both been adapted to match the performance of the drive system. For instance, thanks to a special setup, the M sports steering conveys to the driver an impressively direct and precise steering feel. Furthermore, the X2 M35i comes as standard with the M Sport suspension with a stiffer spring and damper setting as well as vehicle lowering. The rear axle construction has been redesigned. A suspension with an adaptive spring and damper combination offering two different manually adjustable modes is also optionally available.

Upgraded exterior design thanks to M Performance typical elements in Cerium Crey
The sporty aspiration of the X2 M35i, which is the result of its inner qualities, is reflected in an exciting exterior design with numerous typical M Performance Automobile elements finished in Cerium Grey and based on the X2 M Sport Package. This begins at the front with full HD technology for the main headlights and fog lights and continues with the double kidney grille in Cerium Grey and the newly designed side air intakes of the same colour at the front for best possible cooling of brakes and engine. The exterior mirrors have been upgraded by special caps, likewise in Cerium Grey. At the rear, the X2 M35i boasts a distinctive M rear spoiler and demonstrates its fascinating sovereignty with an M Sport exhaust system with two tailpipes (each 100 mm in diameter). Thanks to the adapted silencer system, the exhaust system produces a particularly sporty sound spectrum. 19-inch M Sport light alloy wheels in 715M styling (optional: 20-inch M Sport light alloy wheels in 721M styling and in Cerium Grey bicolour) impressively round off the exterior design features.

For the first time Exclusive M sports seats ensure perfect seating comfort and lateral support
An exceptionally sporty look also dominates the interior. As with the exterior design, the basis is again the M Sport Package. Moreover, the X2 M35i features as standard an M Sport leather steering wheel with shift paddles and door entry trims at the front bearing the lettering "M35i". The optional M sports seats at the front are a novelty. They offer not only perfect lateral support for both driver and front passenger in sharp bends, but also the highest level of comfort and safety through integrated headrests. The M sports seats are available in the following three different designs: FabricTrigon/Alcantara combination in black with blue accents, Leather Dakota Magmared, perforated with black accents and Leather Dakota black perforated. Matching seatbelts in an M design are also on offer.

Trend-setting digital competence for state-of-the-art technologies
In addition to the uncompromisingly sporty orientation of both drive system and design, the BMW X2 M35i also demonstrates BMW's trend-setting digital competence in the areas of operation and networking. For instance, the full-colour BMW Head-Up Display is among the optionally available features. It offers a display range that is unprecedented in this vehicle segment. If desired, the latest generation of BMW ConnectedDrive and the new BMW Connected App can be fitted. Optional functions such as the wireless use of Apple CarPlay set further highlights. Driver assistant systems include, for example, camera-based technologies such as the traffic jam assistant for less tiring driving in dense stop-and-go traffic or the optional parking assistant.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 AM

Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Overall, not bad. Much better in a color other than the urine yellow it debuted with.
Needs less red on the interior & lose the wart of an ///M badge on the front fenders along with a debadge of the hatch. Seem most of these CUVs look way too cluttered with all the badging on the trunk.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

That stupid c pillar rounded will ensure this thing sells in droves.

”look everyone, I drive a bimmer
Old 09-07-2018, 11:27 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by TacoBello
That stupid c pillar rounded will ensure this thing sells in droves.

”look everyone, I drive a bimmer
I like it. Its a throwback to an older design.

But apparently these aren't selling super well, and good deals can be had.

This M version is quite tasty. I'd rock it.

Search this Thread