BMW: X2 News

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
M35i version is going to be 1 fast CUV...
Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Didn't realize the non-AWD models are FWD.
The current S-drive 28 FWD is pushing $50k MSRP when optioned up.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

You lease.. dont buy... so who cares about MSRP.. if you can lease 1 for 400 a month... it doesnt matter if it s 30k msrp or 70k msrp.

now buying 1, that is an entire different subject.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:55 PM

Good point. With that, the M35i version in AWD would be a hoot. Definitely better looking than a GLA.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Why can't we just have a M135i hatchback instead of this? It would be the same size, same shape, same interior, same cargo capacity all while having better handling and fuel economy because it's not a lifted hatchback for the sake of telling people you have a "SUV".
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Why can't we just have a M135i hatchback instead of this? It would be the same size, same shape, same interior, same cargo capacity all while having better handling and fuel economy because it's not a lifted hatchback for the sake of telling people you have a "SUV".
Shouldn't it be called M140i now? M135i is not the same as this X2 M35i.

Probably the same reason why US does not have A45 hatch.... That is probably the only hatch that i would get.

To be fair, i have sat in the 125i hatch in Taiwan multiple times, it felt quite small inside, kinda you know.. feels like a 1 series. There is no openness feel to it when compare to X1 or X2.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Shouldn't it be called M140i now? M135i is not the same as this X2 M35i.

Probably the same reason why US does not have A45 hatch.... That is probably the only hatch that i would get.

To be fair, i have sat in the 125i hatch in Taiwan multiple times, it felt quite small inside, kinda you know.. feels like a 1 series. There is no openness feel to it when compare to X1 or X2.
Yeah it is a M140i now. And I'm pretty sure the 1 series hatch is the same as the X1 which is the same as the X2 (they are nearly identical in dimensions and the interiors are basically the same) in the same way that the 3 series touring is the same as the X3 which is the same as the X4 and the 5 touring is the same as the X5 which is the same as the X6...etc.

I get that it wouldn't sell well because it's not a lifted version of the same thing but le sigh...oh well, one can dream. Was the 125 you sat in a 3 door or 5 door? I checked out the X1 that a buddy leased a few weeks ago and found that to not be all that open either but never been in a 1 series hatch.

The only hatches I'd get is the Audi RS3 hatch or the M140i, the A45 is too childish for me.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

1 hatch was 5 door. It felt tiny inside... i can look at the actual #s between X1 and 125... but they felt nothing alike inside and i had X1 as loaners many times.

1 series is also RWD based and if i am not mistaken X1 and X2 are based on Mini cooper.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-10-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

1 series interior spec:
https://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/blog/...mensions-guide

2015 X1 spec
https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe...15_rwd-4dr-28i

X1 is roomier inside
Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 AM

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...hicle-preview/

In its standard form, the BMW X2 is kind of a hard sell. Less spacious and more expensive than the X1 on which its based, but without any real gains elsewhere, it's a subcompact crossover that's hard to recommend.

This new M35i model, on the other hand, has much greater appeal. It uses BMW's most powerful four-cylinder engine, and brings with it a number of legit performance upgrades. It still isn't any more functional than an X1, but it's a go-fast treatment that's exclusive to the X2 -- and an entertaining one, at that.

The X2 M35i uses a heavily reworked version of the B48 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 engine found in many of BMW's other models. The reinforced crankshaft has larger main bearings, and new pistons allow for a slightly reduced compression ratio for more power delivery. A larger turbocharger offers increased boost, and the engine's cooling system has been upgraded to cope with the greater demands. The result is 302 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque, increases of 74 in both fields over an X2 xDrive28i.

BMW says the X2 M35i will scoot to 60 miles per hour in 4.9 seconds, thanks in part to a new launch control feature built into its 8-speed automatic transmission. That makes the M35i a full 1.4 seconds quicker to 60 mph than its xDrive28i counterpart, and puts it squarely in Volkswagen Golf R and Ford Focus RS territory.

Power comes on immediately, with peak torque arriving at just 1,750 rpm. Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters allow you to work through the transmission's eight speeds yourself, but the X2 is perfectly adept when left to its own devices. Throttle response sharpens as you switch from Comfort to Sport mode, and gear-changes are fired off with noticeable urgency.

But the M35i is much more than a quicker X2. It gets a lower and firmer suspension setup, M Sport brakes, a quicker steering ratio and a limited-slip front differential.

And in fact, the M35i is a riot. This X2 has sharp reflexes and it's eager to change direction, the hefty steering offering solid feedback. The suspension tune is a little too stiff for the pockmarked farm roads southwest of Palm Springs, California, but on smooth pavement -- like the track at The Thermal Club -- it feels just fine. The M35i has an easily chuckable nature, like any good hot hatch should, with its xDrive all-wheel-drive system shuffling power to the wheels that need it most. It'll exhibit a bit more roll than something like a Golf R, but that's largely a product of the increased ground clearance. BMW still maintains this thing is a crossover, after all.

To visually differentiate it from lesser X2s, the M35i gets a number of gray-colored exterior elements, including the mirror caps, grille surround and model-specific 19-inch wheels (20-inch rollers are a $600 option). There's a larger roof spoiler around back, and an M Sport exhaust rounds out the performance upgrades, which gives the 2.0-liter engine a bit of rumbly aural delight.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that the X2 is, well, yeesh. The front fascia has a sort of bulgy rodent vibe, and I still can't get behind the placement of the BMW Roundel smack dab in the middle of the C-pillar. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know, and I'll say the M35i is at least the most attractive of all the X2 variants. But I just can't help but find this baby Bimmer u-g-l-y ugly, especially in my test car's shade of Galvanic Gold Metallic.

Inside, the M35i comes standard with comfortable, supportive sport seats. Otherwise, its cabin is the same as any other X2, with a surprisingly spacious front compartment and decidedly cramped rear seats. With 50.1 cubic feet of cargo space on offer, the X2 M35i is more capacious than a Mercedes-AMG GLA45, but at the same time, falls short of many other compact crossovers. Even the aforementioned Golf R has a bigger boot, with 52.7 cubic feet behind its front seats.

BMW's iDrive 6.0 technology handles infotainment duties, housed in an 8.8-inch screen atop the dash. You can operate iDrive by touching the screen, or through the rotary dial and shortcut buttons on the center console. Embedded navigation is available as part of a $1,800 Premium Package, which also unlocks adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go tech, for an additional $1,000.

The 2019 X2 M35i starts at $46,450, a full $8,050 more than the xDrive28i. Fully loaded with all the aforementioned options, plus a panoramic moonroof ($1,350), full-leather seating ($1,450), wireless charging and a Wi-Fi hotspot ($500), a Harman Kardon premium audio system ($875) and BMW's parking assistant ($200), you're looking at more than $55,000 when everything's said and done.

That makes the X2 M35i a much pricier proposition than traditional hot hatches like the $41,120 Focus RS or $40,395 Golf R, but the BMW offers a bit more luxury inside, not to mention a more prestigious badge on the nose (and pillar). On the other hand, the M35i vastly undercuts the Mercedes-AMG GLA45's $53,350 starting price, which can easily swell to over $70,000 with options. That said, the AMG is also a little firecracker -- much more balls-out spastic than the X2, and much more entertaining to drive.

Still, the X2 M35i is an interesting proposition: A little more luxurious than a Ford or VW, without emptying your wallet quite like the Mercedes. It's an appealing treatment that turns the otherwise meh X2 into a high-riding hot hatch that's a hoot and a half to drive.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 AM

I've seen a few of these (X2 in general) on the road & it's not a bad looking car in person. That interior is definitely too much on the loud side for me though....
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Not gonna lie, I actually kinda like it. Heritage be damned, those roundels on the pillar look dumb.

Worse yet though are those afterthought fog lights.

I have a love/hate thing with fastback SUVs like the X6. On one hand, they can look great. On the other hand, they're indisputably less useful than their body counterparts.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

U have to get the M sport with the X2...The car has too much black plastic looking things on the outside without the M sport... kinda reminds me of the early version of Honda Element.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Ex-OEM King

This thing will sell like hotcakes.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

X2? not really. I think it is too expensive and at those prices, X3 is a much better buy.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 02-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

I meant the M35i version. It's about as close to a Golf R as you can get without admitting to yourself that you actually want a hatchback and not a high riding crossover.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

when i saw the X2... i thought it was more like a CUV than a hatch.... Not familiar with the Golf R's AWD... but i think the M35i is more of a FWD basis than the actual AWD.

To be honest, Golf R > X2 M35i if you dont care about the badge.
00TL-P3.2 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
when i saw the X2... i thought it was more like a CUV than a hatch.... Not familiar with the Golf R's AWD... but i think the M35i is more of a FWD basis than the actual AWD.

To be honest, Golf R > X2 M35i if you dont care about the badge.
Agreed but most people who are going to buy this thing definitely care about the badge lol.

Golf R AWD is FWD based and kicks the rear in when slip is detected or additional grip is required (launching, turning, etc). It's a Haldex system same as a lot of other VAG products.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:22 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2024-ix2/

The BMW X2 is the car that first introduced the vehicle concept of a Sports Activity Coupé (SAC) for the premium compact segment. And now the even more distinctive, even sportier and even more forward-looking second generation is taking to the stage. Significantly larger dimensions and a pronounced coupé silhouette clearly showcase in its exterior design the development leap taken by the new BMW X2. The progressive character of the new model is also evident in the fully electric BMW iX2 variant, as well as in a large spread of systems enabling automated driving and parking, and in the innovative digital services laid on by the new BMW iDrive with QuickSelect and BMW Operating System 9.

The worldwide market launch will get underway in March 2024 with the all-electric BMW iX2 xDrive30, BMW X2 M35i xDrive performance model, one other petrol option and one diesel model. In summer 2024 a second fully electric variant and another diesel-engined example will be added to the line-up.

The new BMW X2 and new BMW iX2 will be produced flexibly on a single assembly line at BMW Group Plant Regensburg. The high-voltage batteries for the fully electric model variant are also made at the Regensburg site. The new BMW iX2 sees the BMW Group further accelerating the ramp-up of electric mobility. Added to which, the progressive premium character profile of the compact SAC is underscored by further advances in sustainability encompassing the complete vehicle lifecycle - from resource-preserving production through the use phase to subsequent recycling.

Exterior design: authentic Sports Activity Coupé with dynamic lines and a confident presence

The new BMW X2 has a distinctive, visually expressive design showing clear differentiation from the brand's compact Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV), the BMW X1. As such, it is instantly identifiable as a pure-bred Sports Activity Coupé (SAC). Also characteristic of the new model are its dynamically stretched lines and a generous surface treatment. The new BMW X2 has grown by 194 millimetres in length over its predecessor to 4,554 millimetres, by 21 millimetres in width to 1,845 millimetres and by 64 millimetres in height to 1,590 millimetres. Plus, its increased wheelbase and wider tracks benefit space in both the five seats and the boot. The new X2 has a maximum load capacity of 560 - 1,470 litres, depending on the model variant. The BMW iX2 offers between 525 and 1,400 litres.

The model-specific, upright front end of the new BMW X2 exudes confidence and presence. Its defining elements are striking LED headlights and an almost hexagonal BMW kidney grille, which - in a first for the premium compact segment - can be specified as an option with BMW Iconic Glow contour lighting. Also on the options list are Adaptive LED Headlights with non-dazzling matrix high beam.

The roofline, which flows along an unbroken path into the rear end, creates a slim, coupé-shaped silhouette and proportions in the signature style of an SAC from BMW. At the rear, the prominently flared wheel arches and muscular shoulders come to the fore. The horizontal contours of the model-specific rear light design further enrich the sporting flavour, as do a Gurney-style spoiler and an eye-catching rear apron.

M-specific design features such as the two pairs of exhaust tailpipes integrated into the rear apron give the BMW X2 M35i xDrive a particularly dynamic aura. An M Sport package is available for all other model variants, including the new BMW iX2, and likewise brings aerodynamically optimised exterior details. Also on the options list is the M Sport package Pro, which adds extended M High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim, M lights Shadowline, an M rear spoiler and an M Sport braking system with red-painted callipers, among other features.

Customers can choose from two solid and eleven metallic paint finishes for the exterior of their new BMW X2, including the new Fire Red metallic variant. Two Frozen shades from BMW Individual and a broad spectrum of BMW Individual special paint finishes are also available.

Premium ambience with a sporting flavour; impressive functionality

The interior of the new BMW X2 has a modern premium ambience with sporting touches. The slender instrument panel, housing the BMW Curved Display, is joined in the cabin by a "floating" armrest with integral control panel. In the front section of the centre console are two cup holders and a smartphone tray with indirect illumination and wireless charging.

The newly developed seats are also offered in the Veganza perforated variant and Vernasca leather with attractive quilting as alternatives to the standard cloth upholstery. Customers can also specify sport seats, electric seat adjustment with memory function, lumbar support and a massage function. Further improvements have been made to both acoustic comfort and occupant protection. Standard equipment now includes an interaction airbag between the driver's seat and front passenger seat.

Expanded standard equipment, targeted individualisation

Two-zone automatic climate control, the navigation system BMW Maps and a Sport leather steering wheel all come as standard in the new BMW X2, as do automatic tailgate operation, four USB-C ports and a 12V power socket in both the centre console and the boot. The number of driver assistance systems and digital services available has also increased significantly over the predecessor model.

Newly structured equipment packages enable targeted individualisation of the car. Among the options available to enhance its premium character are a mirror package, steering wheel heating and the Harman Kardon Sound System. A highlight of the options list is the panoramic glass sunroof, whose dark-tinted glass surface extends right up to the windscreen and the roof frame on either side, and a long way back in a single section into the rear part of the roof. An electrically operated trailer tow hitch can also be ordered as an option.

BMW iX2: premium electric mobility in a compact SAC

An all-electric variant will be part of the new SAC line-up from launch in the shape of the BMW iX2 xDrive30. Its two highly integrated drive units - one at the front axle and one at the rear - together generate a system output of 230 kW/313 hp (including temporary boost), and system torque of 494 Nm (364 lb-ft). The iX2 xDrive30 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.6 seconds on the way to a top speed of 180 km/h (112 mph). A combination of the high-voltage battery's impressive 64.8 kWh of usable energy and the high efficiency of the drive system enable a range of 417 - 449 kilometres (259 - 279 miles) in the WLTP cycle.

Adaptive recuperation and the MAX RANGE function also contribute to the outstanding range figures. The latest version of the Max Performance Charging software optimises above all efficiency when charging the car. Added to which, the fully electric SAC is equipped to use the Plug & Charge Multi Contract function. And the new Connected Home Charging Package for load- and solar-optimised charging at home is also available for the BMW iX2.

BMW X2 M35i xDrive performance model already available from launch

A performance model available from the launch of the new BMW X2 is set to bring the compact SAC's dynamic nature even more prominently to the fore. The new BMW X2 M35i xDrive, with its hallmark M design and handling characteristics, is an alluring proposition. Its 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine produces maximum output of 221 kW/300 hp in Europe (233 kW/317 hp in USA and other markets).

The new BMW X2 M35i xDrive sprints to 100 km/h (62 mph) from rest in 5.4 seconds. M-specific chassis tuning teams up with BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive to deliver sublime performance characteristics. Its standard adaptive M suspension enhances both agility and long-distance comfort. M Compound brakes are offered as an option.

Efficient petrol and diesel engines, seven-speed Steptronic transmission with double clutch as standard

A three-cylinder petrol unit from the latest modular generation of the Efficient Dynamics engine family powers the new BMW X2 sDrive20i. Teaming up with the 48V mild hybrid system, the 1.5-litre engine delivers maximum output of 125 kW/170 hp (developed by the combination of the combustion engine with up to 115 kW/156 hp and the integrated electric motor with up to 14 kW/19 hp).

The four-cylinder diesel engine in the new BMW X2 sDrive18d has also undergone an extensive upgrade. It produces maximum output of 110 kW/150 hp. All of the combustion engines available for the new BMW X2 link up as standard with a seven-speed Steptronic transmission with double clutch.

Optimum blend of agility and ride comfort, 21-inch light-alloy wheels available for a compact BMW model for the first time

The compact SAC's sophisticated chassis technology produces a perfectly harmonious balance between sporty, agile handling on the one hand and long-distance comfort on the other. All the tools required here are provided by a body construction that reduces weight while increasing rigidity, a long wheelbase, wider tracks than the predecessor model, and targeted upgrades to the single-joint spring strut axle at the front and the three-link rear axle. Near-actuator wheel slip limitation is fitted as standard in the new BMW X2, benefiting both traction and directional stability. Other new features include the integrated braking system and the extra, lift-related damping at the front axle. The optional adaptive M suspension features frequency-selective damping, sport steering and a 15-millimetre drop in ride height.

The new BMW iX2 xDrive30 rides as standard on 17-inch light-alloy wheels with an aerodynamically optimised design. The BMW X2 sDrive20i and BMW X2 sDrive18d models leave the factory on
18-inch light-alloy wheels, while the new BMW X2 M35i xDrive comes with 20-inch M light-alloy wheels. Further light-alloy wheels ranging in size from 18 to 21 inches are available as options.

State-of-the-art driver assistance systems for greater comfort and safety

The standard and optional assistance systems for automated driving and parking available in the new BMW X2 increase comfort and safety both in everyday driving and on longer journeys. Standard features include the latest version of the front collision warning system, Cruise Control with brake function, Speed Limit Info and Lane Departure Warning with lane return. The Parking Assistant including Reversing Assist Camera and Reversing Assistant also forms part of the standard equipment roster.

The line-up of optional features, meanwhile, includes the Steering and Lane Control Assistant, Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Active Navigation, the exit warning function and the BMW Head-Up Display, as well as the Surround View, Remote 3D View, BMW Drive Recorder and Remote Theft Recorder functions. Existing functions can be upgraded by means of the Remote Software Upgrades facility, which also makes it possible to add new functions.

The new BMW Operating System 9 and BMW Digital Premium

The latest version of the BMW iDrive display and control/operation system featuring QuickSelect rapid-access tech is fitted in the new BMW X2. Based on BMW Operating System 9, it is packaged together with the BMW Curved Display and BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, meaning it has been carefully geared to operation using the touchscreen and natural language. BMW Operating System 9 also paves the way for a highly customisable selection of additional digital services. With BMW ConnectedDrive Upgrades, customers can enjoy a free one-month trial of selected functions, after which they are able to add them for a specific period of time. The new BMW Digital Premium offering can also be obtained from the BMW ConnectedDrive Store for the new BMW X2.

BMW Digital Premium means customers can enjoy in-car use of all the apps available in their country, e.g. for music streaming, video streaming, news or gaming, on a subscription basis. The optional package also covers data usage for all digital services and the apps available from the BMW ConnectedDrive Store, including music and video streaming.

The Augmented View function is available as an optional add-on for the cloud-based BMW Maps navigation system. In addition to this, a Personal eSIM designed for 5G mobile technology, the BMW Digital Key Plus, the BMW ID functionality and standard smartphone integration using both Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ are also all available in the new BMW X2.
iX2

X2 M35i

​​​​​​​
Old 02-29-2024, 08:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Leave it to BMW to make this car even more ugly than before.
civicdrivr (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:36 AM

Looks like the 2GC with a bee sting/swollen.