BMW: i3 News

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
No one will get sad over this... literally no one.. not even i3 owners. Every i3 owner i know hated i3... it had so many WTF issues, not just the looks.
But i am sure it was a good learning experience for BMW.

​​​​​​​Fans of electric cars worldwide will get sad with this news: the BMW i3 will kick the bucket in July.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (01-29-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 07:51 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
It turns out the leaked image of the new BMW i3 from earlier this week wasn’t exactly accidental. The Bavarian automaker unveils the new electric sedan, which will be produced and sold exclusively in China. As we’ve already discussed, the i3 most likely previews design changes expected for the 3 Series facelift, but the most important news here is that this is the first production battery-powered 3 Series in history.

Officially dubbed i3 eDrive35L, the electric sedan relies on the latest generation electric drive system from the manufacturer, sharing components with the BMW iX3, BMW i4, and BMW iX. The peak output is 281 horsepower (210 kilowatts) and 295 pound-feet (400 Newton-meters) of instant torque. These figures are enough for a 0-62 miles per hour (0-100 kilometers per hour) sprint in 6.2 seconds.

As far as the range is concerned, BMW promises up to 327 miles (526 kilometers) at a single charge of the 66.1 kWh battery pack. Bear in mind, however, that this number is measured by the CLTC regime, which is generally very generous and the actual range between two charges is likely much smaller. The maximum charging power at a DC charger is 95 kilowatts, which means charging from 10 to 80 percent takes about 35 minutes.

Unfortunately, BMW doesn’t release a large photo gallery of the vehicle (frankly, this is one of the worst official media galleries we've seen in years) and we can’t tell much about its interior. However, the automaker says the luggage compartment of the EV premium sedan is 14.5 cubic feet (410 liters), down slightly from the 17 cu-ft (480 liters) of the combustion-powered model. Also, the interior benefits from the latest software version of BMW’s infotainment system plus the company’s Digital Key feature. However, there’s no mention of over-the-air software updates.

BMW says the vehicle has been designed exclusively for the Chinese market and even the suspension has been tuned to Chinese road conditions. The zero-emissions electric sedan will be assembled at the BMW Brilliance plant in Lydia, Shenyang, with some of the components adapted to the requirements of the local supply chain.
BMW i3 Debuts As All-Electric 3 Series Only For China (motor1.com)
Old 03-31-2022, 11:18 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
No one will get sad over this... literally no one.. not even i3 owners. Every i3 owner i know hated i3... it had so many WTF issues, not just the looks.
But i am sure it was a good learning experience for BMW.
my buddy has had an i3s on lease for the last 3 years and is extending until his i4 arrives. He loves it and hasn’t had any issues. I’ve always enjoyed riding in it as well.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

I dont care about the i3 but if that is what the G20 LCI looks like.... Meh...
Old 03-31-2022, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
my buddy has had an i3s on lease for the last 3 years and is extending until his i4 arrives. He loves it and hasn’t had any issues. I’ve always enjoyed riding in it as well.
I guess he was the lucky one then...

My friends had issues with the car not being able to charge, gas door wont open (WTF??) on the extender trim, it could only open when the car was fully charged? (WTF)
to weird steering patterns... and many more... it was all weird issues that made me laugh...

The most hilarious one was one of my friends i3 could not charge, so he had to fill up 2-3 gallons at a time to drive as gas car only and one day the gas door wont open either I had to pick him up from the dealership after the car was towed there.

Good thing they were all paying $2xx a month leasing, so they could deal with it given the price and it is a BMW. Needless to say, none of my friends has i3 now.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-31-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:01 PM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/bm...c-gold-models/

The BMW i3 is riding off into the sunset with one final version that will be used by Munich car rental company CarVia.

More than 250,000 BMW i3s have been built over the course of the car’s production run and on August 2, the final 18 examples were handed over to CarVia at BMW Welt in Munich.

All of these cars are finished in the same shade of Galvanic Gold that is contrasted by gloss black across the hood, roof, and tailgate. Adding to the unique visual presence of this special run of i3s are gloss black wheels.

Bimmer Today reports that the cars will be available to rent through CarVia for €40 ($41) a day.

The delivery of these i3s comes shortly after BMW commemorated the model’s nine-year production run with the launch of the special Home Run Edition. Just 10 examples of the Home Run Edition models were produced with five finished in Frozen Dark Gray and five painted in Frozen Red II. Each of the Home Run models also feature 20-inch double-spoke wheels, an electric glass sunroof with solar control glazing, and adaptive headlights.

The BMW i3 has long played a pivotal role in the car manufacturer’s electrification strategy and pushed it into a new segment of the market. It was sold in pure EV and range-extender hybrid guises and was unique from most other vehicles in the premium compact market due to its use of an aluminum chassis and carbon fiber passenger cell. However, it no longer offers the type of performance and range that more recent rivals do, and has been superseded by a number of all-new electric BMWs, including the i4, iX, and the 3-Series-based i3 launched in China earlier this year.
​​​​​​​