Old 02-16-2004, 06:25 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
hey bro, there is no post counts in off-topic
Old 02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cma2180
There gonna restyle that car again, the new design is only a year or two old?????

Yeah its one of the fastest redesigns in history due to the number of complaints that BMW got for the front and rear ends.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Race Director

Damn, i guess they are just tweaking it a little, not a total redesign.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Banned

no, not a total redesign, but making the car more friendly to the eye.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
BMW admits 7-series design was a mistake

Check it out

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...articleId=2968

Link is autospies but the article is from Top Gear magazine.

And all I have to say is "TOOK THEM LONG ENOUGH!"
Old 05-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's interesting getting owners opinions on that article over at bimmerfest: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61808
Old 05-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Jewdacris!!

I like the new 7 series, anyonw seen the picture in most car mags of the 760(i think). Its black, so so so hot.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Ya, I've seen that ad. Definently looks good. But only because you can't see the back and front from the side angle.

Sweet rims though.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Racer

It's about time they admit they F'ed up.

Now will Honda admit they screwed up the Accord Sedan rear end? I'm interested to see if the 2005 rear end be any different?

At least in Honda's case it wasn't a 'theme' screw-up affecting all there models.

So what are they going to fix first 7? 5? Z4? or will they modify the 3 before releasing it?????
Old 05-28-2004, 03:11 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what about the 5 series? IMO it looks way worse than the 7.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

Saw the new 5 Series yesterday for the first time and could not believe how bad it looks I was driving along side and saw it from different angles and every angle was worst than the previous. I did like the previous 5 and didn't mind the new 7 that much. What were they thinking
Old 05-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by fdl
So what about the 5 series? IMO it looks way worse than the 7.
One at a time, fdl.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I think the front end of the 5 is sweet

The Z4 is a complete mess from every possible angle, same with the 6 and 7, and the new 1 judging by the photos we've seen.

They managed to go from the nicest looking lineup to the worse in less than 4 years.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:05 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where's Gilbo when we need his expert opinion?

I think Gilbo is probably Chris Bangle's remote cousin.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:58 PM

The new BMWs do not make me want to own one. WTF were they thinking. They are ugly period inside and out. While the previous models and current 3 are gorgous stock, let alone modded.
Arrogance.....

This is so weird. Every company WANTS or WANTED to be BMW, look how every car/SUV is advertising sport (no matter if it is a fake or the real thing).

The funny thing is, there has not been a fall-off in sales. BMWs brand is that strong.
And in closing I was SHOCKED when the 530 got 6th place in Road and Track this month. I NEVER have seen a BMW finish so low.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

sad that the new rl has a muted version of BMW's back end...it's muted and it still looks akward! I saw a 2nd generation Legend the other day and while it seemed somewhat characterless at the time, wow, it just looked great - short front over hang, lovely grill, nice a/b/c pillars...
Old 05-28-2004, 07:07 PM

2nd gen Legend= the best looking Acura sedan and one of the best looking sedans ever. Classic proportions inside and out. Simply an outstanding car.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
2nd gen Legend= the best looking Acura sedan and one of the best looking sedans ever. Classic proportions inside and out. Simply an outstanding car.

I still want to someday own a circa 1995 Legend LS 6MT Coupe with the Type II engine. That's just a sweet looking car.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by tmkarab
I saw a 2nd generation Legend the other day and while it seemed somewhat characterless at the time, wow, it just looked great - short front over hang, lovely grill, nice a/b/c pillars...
That's one of the things I'll miss on the new RL - it now wears the typical FWD car "look" - front overhang with wheels pushed towards the cabin. From the side angle, it looks like a big Corolla. But I do have to say, it looks more impressive in the flesh than internet pictures can show. It also doesn't wear as much chrome as the current RL...in fact, only the grille and the Acura emblems are chrome. I think a little chrome here and there would make it look fancier.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:39 AM

the 5 series is def worse then the 7...but the Z4 is the ugliest of the bunch
Old 05-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
As the sales numbers show, the sheep keep flocking to the brand no matter the looks. A great majority just don't care - they want the badge. Heck BMW could have sold an Aztec and people would have bought it.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by biker
As the sales numbers show, the sheep keep flocking to the brand no matter the looks. A great majority just don't care - they want the badge. Heck BMW could have sold an Aztec and people would have bought it.
One of the reasons why I don't like a lot of BMW drivers. They're just buying the car because they want the name, not because of the performance potential or even the luxury. It's really sad.

I wish that somehow cars were assigned to each individual based on a genetic test of driving ability.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Racer

Originally posted by biker
BMW's busy PR department would love for you to believe the new cars are a smashing success. But look closer at the sales data: the 5 and 7 aren't selling near as well as BMW would like (not that they would admit it) in the US. There is really not a significant change from last year's numbers for the sedans (7 series are down), yet these new cars were supposed to increase market share. Clearly they are not. And they're doing crappier in Europe. BMW group sales are slightly up but that is mostly due to the Mini brand and their SUV's. The new 5, for example, hasn't exploded saleswise compared to its lame-duck predecessor like the TL has for Honda. The higher prices are taking a toll here too.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:36 PM
pending

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
It's about time they admit they F'ed up.

Now will Honda admit they screwed up the Accord Sedan rear end? I'm interested to see if the 2005 rear end be any different?

At least in Honda's case it wasn't a 'theme' screw-up affecting all there models.

So what are they going to fix first 7? 5? Z4? or will they modify the 3 before releasing it?????

It is very obvious that Honda did not screw up the rear end of the Accord sedan.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:40 PM
pending

1sicklex,

How's the IS300 doing? LOL.

Here's a serious question. Is ANY Lexus selling right now? I know the RX was doing incredible well but I've noticed a tail-off on the roads in the last couple months. Is this true?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:55 PM
6MT Snob

I dont think the design of it is all that bad.. what i think its a huge piece of shit is the i-drive system... Doing 5 turns and clicks to do what i can do with 1 button in my tsx or a previous generation 7 series for that matter.

"The top-of-the-range 7-Series was launched two years ago. In spite of the chorus of criticism it attracted and sluggish sales - in particular in BMW's core German market - BMW insisted customers would learn to love it"

How freekin arrogant can you get?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Drifting

the sad thing is, if they had done some serious market research (especially of current bmw owners/prospective customers), they could have had people tell them it was a mistake to begin with. i would've just for a pack of twinkies (no, not for throwing). i miss the bmws of a few years ago when they stuck with traditional yet progressive design. the only bmw i'd get right now is the 3-series/m series, since i think it's the only good-looking series left.

maybe it's just me, but the 6 series front end also looks like a sporty version of crap.

don't even get me started on bmw drivers....
Old 06-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Pinky all stinky

The first thing I said when I saw pics of the then-upcoming 7 series, especially the headlights, was "Frankenstein." And then it just got uglier towards the rear.

I do, however, think the 5-series looks better.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Race Director

I guess the '05 7 series refresh might alter things a bit but a toned down Bangle Butt and I drive will still be in there.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:49 PM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by biker
I guess the '05 7 series refresh might alter things a bit but a toned down Bangle Butt and I drive will still be in there.
Idrive should have been an option all along and not standard...
Old 06-25-2004, 04:00 AM
Race Director

The E90 platform 3 series is looking pretty good.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Boy Genius

Found this concept 6-series that this guy apparently made up over one and a half years ago. If only BMW had gone with this design instead... I think the guy did a good job foreshadowing and incorporating some of the new design elements like the headlights.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/rfjmka/
Old 01-27-2005, 07:01 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Spruced up 7 series... full specs and official release from BMW

Three and a half years after its introduction, the fourth-generation BMW 7 Series is getting a makeover, one that leaves it better looking and better equipped, with a new, more powerful V8 and a host of chassis upgrades. Even better news? BMW promises to accomplish all this without a significant price increase in North America.

The new 2006 7 Series makes its world premiere in Geneva in March; the U.S. debut is scheduled for the New York show later that month.

The 6.0-liter V12 producing 438 hp and 444 lb-ft of torque in the top-of-the-line 760i and long-wheelbase 760Li will carryover. For the North American market the big V12 is joined by one additional engine, the new 4.8-liter V8 (replacing the 4.4-liter V8) in the 750i and 750Li. The new V8 produces 360 hp, up 35 hp from the old V8. Torque is rated at 360 lb-ft, up 30 lb-ft. As before, the engines are mated exclusively to a six-speed automatic gearbox.

Stay tuned for the complete AutoWeek report on the refreshed 7 Series.

Below is the official release from BMW:

THE 2006 BMW 7 SERIES

The most successful BMW 7 Series in history is now better than ever.
Driving dynamics and sporting performance are substantially enhanced.
Luxury and presence are further refined.

- All-new V8 engine
- Improved performance
- Refinement of the outstanding chassis and suspension
- Refinement in design
- New equipment and features

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - January 27, 2005... The most successful 7 Series in the history of BMW will set a new standard in the luxury performance class once again as it enters the 2006 model year. A significant improvement in performance along with enhancements to the chassis and suspension reaffirm the BMW 7 Series as the driver's car in the segment. Refinement in design, in turn, expresses the car's enhanced driving dynamics and sportiness at very first glance while retaining the unmistakable presence that gives the BMW 7 Series its elegant and charismatic character.

BMW 750i and 750Li: Powered by an all-new VALVETRONIC V8.

The 2006 750i and 750Li will feature a new 4.8 liter VALVETRONIC V8 engine capable of 360 horsepower (SAE net) and 360 lb-ft of torque. The new models are even more responsive than their predecessors, with a 0-60 mph time of just 5.8 seconds.

BMW 760i and 760Li: Twelve-cylinder engine with a unique combination of direct fuel injection and VALVETRONIC.

Launched in 2003, the BMW 760i/Li V12 remains unchanged, with engine output of 438 horsepower (SAE net) and maximum torque of 444 lb-ft. With its combination of four-valve technology, VALVETRONIC, double-VANOS and direct fuel injection, the BMW 760i/Li remains unique in the marketplace. VALVETRONIC ensures the engine?s very high level of fuel economy under partial load. Direct fuel injection, in turn, serves to increase both torque and output.

New engines reflect BMW's ongoing commitment to the ultimate driving experience: More power, greater efficiency, lower emissions.

Together with its ongoing model initiative, BMW's recent engine initiative ensures that BMW will continue to deliver the ultimate driving machine.

Recent examples of this commitment include the new 3.0-liter inline-six with its composite magnesium/aluminum crankcase, and, of course, the 5.0-liter V10 high-speed power unit in the BMW M5.

In the development of new engines, BMW's engineers carefully consider all parameters and components for their potential, at the same time questioning virtually all conventional principles. The result is innovative materials, new machining processes and optimized procedures in production.

The BMW customer, in turn, receives far more powerful, lighter and cleaner engines that offer a significantly higher standard of fuel economy.

Efficient Dynamics: Overcoming conventional conflicts of interest.

Increasing engine output and torque while reducing fuel consumption, enhancing agility and nimble performance, and intensifying the experience of driving dynamics enjoyed by the customer: This is what BMW refers to as "Efficient Dynamics", the guiding principle underlying all of BMW's development and innovation. This applies equally to engine construction as it does to chassis development.

In a nutshell, Efficient Dynamics means consistently solving and eliminating conflicts of interest. In conventional terms, more power also means more fuel, more comfort means more weight, which again means more fuel, and so on. Particularly in the case of large luxury-performance sedans like the BMW 7 Series, solving such conflicts of interest is an especially great and demanding challenge.

BMW is able to escape this continuous loop through the use of intelligent materials and systems - for example, aluminum helps give the chassis and suspension of the 7 Series its light-footed, nimble behavior.

Chassis and suspension have been refined to improve both handling response and ride comfort.

The BMW 7 Series features an aluminum suspension which offers outstanding steering precision, exceptional agility and well-balanced driving characteristics. As a result, the chassis and suspension of the 7 Series combine superior agility and sporting performance on the one hand, with superior comfort on the other. In other words, it offers the best of both worlds.

The chassis and suspension of the 2006 BMW 7 Series has been updated and enhanced. The rear track is wider by 14 millimeters or 0.55 inches. Combined with enhanced suspension kinematics and BMW's revolutionary Active Roll Stabilization, the 7 Series will continue to offer an unparalleled driving experience. For those seeking an even sharper edge, the Sport Package will again be offered with its unique suspension calibrations.

As a result, BMW offers the widest choice of suspension control systems in the luxury sedan segment, naturally also including enhanced brakes reflecting the higher level of power and performance.

Refinement in design: Even more sporting and dynamic,but with unmistakable presence and elegance.

The enhanced performance and dynamic qualities of the BMW 7 Series ensured by the new engines are appropriately reflected by suitable refinements in design. Apart from the new, striking powerdome in the hood, the kidney grille, headlights and front air dam have all been discreetly revised. The rear, in turn, is characterized by surfaces and body panels with even clearer contours, a new chrome trim strip, modified tail lights and the redesigned rear air dam. At the side, the more pronounced light contour in the sills emphasizes the enhanced sportiness and dynamic character of the BMW 7 Series.

In all, BMW's luxury performance sedan preserves its powerful presence and clearly stands out on the road through its charismatic, elegant and truly unique appearance.

Inside the car, the unique feeling of luxury and peaceful tranquility has been further refined by the choice of materials and colors, with the control elements following the main lines of the instrument panel. So again, the interior of the 7 Series is now even more luxurious and sophisticated than before.

The iDrive control concept: Refined in its details, even more user-friendly.

BMW's iDrive control concept, the ergonomically sensible combination of single-button control and display monitor introduced in 2001 and much copied since then, has now been further refined.

Optimized menu guidance in the Control Display, the upgraded presentation of menus, and direct access to the various entertainment functions - for example, one can now directly select audio source and radio frequency band ? are essential elements of the updated iDrive system in the BMW 7 Series.

New features for extra safety, comfort, and individual style.

As of spring 2005, the BMW 7 Series is available with an even higher standard of series equipment and individual options for customizing the car:

- All BMW 7 Series now feature BMW's two-stage Adaptive Brakelights: Whenever the driver applies the brakes harder than usual, motorists following behind are warned by the larger brake light area.
- The optional CD changer is now MP3 CD-capable.
- The standard BMW Assist telematics service now includes Bluetooth hands-free phone capability.
- Last but not least, the updated BMW 7 Series offers the customer a choice of four new paint colors, four new upholstery colors, as well as new 18-inch wheels on the 750i and 750Li.

The most successful BMW 7 Series ever.

Accounting for almost 160,000 units delivered to customers worldwide, the fourth-generation 7 Series is the most successful prestige luxury performance sedan in BMW's history. Since its introduction to the world in 2001, the current 7 Series has already outsold the former model by almost 8 per cent. And with customer deliveries of 57,899 units worldwide in its most successful year so far, 2003, the current BMW 7 Series outperformed its predecessor in that model's best year (1997) by almost 14 per cent.

In Germany, the BMW 7 Series became the sales leader in the luxury sedan market in 2004. Sales have shown impressive growth in Asia, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Oceania and Africa where, compared with the former model, sales of the current 7 Series have more than doubled after 38 months in the market. Sales volumes in those regions are catching up with the markets where, by tradition, the BMW 7 Series has always had a strong position - in particular, Europe and North America.

In the United States, the success of the current 7 Series is unparalleled. In its first three years, it outsold its predecessor's three best years by a significant seven percent.

Accounting for more than 50 per cent of total sales, the BMW 745i/Li with its large V8 power unit has been the best-selling model worldwide. The long-wheelbase version, in turn, accounts for more than half of all BMW 7 Series sold.

The BMW 7 Series combines two cars in one: On one hand, it is a genuine BMW offering those typical BMW virtues such as driving pleasure, agility and nimble handling for the customer who enjoys driving. On the other hand, it is a highly prestigious luxury sedan offering generous space and comfort for the driver and passengers.

More than any other car on the market, the BMW 7 Series offers that Sheer Driving Pleasure so typical of BMW not only in the classic sense, but also in the extended sense of being driven. It is indeed this perfect combination of two worlds that the BMW customer opting for this luxury performance sedan appreciates so much, making this model the most successful 7 Series ever.

The J.D. Power & Associates 2004 APEAL Study (Most Appealing Premium Luxury Car) and the Strategic Vision Total Delight Index (Best Luxury Car, two years in a row) affirm that 7 Series owners love their cars. The 2006 BMW 7 Series will give them more to love.

New V8 engines combined with numerous other enhancements will ensure that success of the BMW 7 Series will continue with the 2006 model.

The most important facts and figures - an overview:

750i/Li replacing 745i/Li:

* V8 engine with VALVETRONIC, Double-VANOS, and steplessly-variable intake system.
* Engine thoroughly updated and enhanced.
* Displacement: 4,799 cc (745i/Li was 4,398, + 9 per cent).
* Power: 360 hp at 6,300 rpm (was 325 at 6,100, + 11 per cent).
* Torque: 360 lb-ft at 3,400 rpm (was 330 at 3,600, + 9 per cent).
* 0?60 mph in 5.8 seconds (was 5.9)
* Fuel economy, EPA est. MPG, city/highway: No data.

760i/Li:
* V12 engine with VALVETRONIC, Double-VANOS, and direct fuel injection.
* Unchanged from 2005 model.
* Displacement: 5,972 cc.
* Power: 438 hp at 6,000 rpm.
* Torque: 444 lb-ft at 3,950 rpm.
* 0-60 mph in 5.4 seconds.
* Fuel economy, EPA est. MPG, city/highway: 15/23

Chassis and suspension:
* Revised and updated.
* Three suspension variants available straight from the factory:
o Standard suspension with Active Roll Stabilization
o Adaptive Ride Package (standard on 760i/Li; optional on 750i/Li)
o Sports suspension (included in optional Sport Package on 750i/Li)
* Rear track 0.55´´ wider.

Safety:
* Two-stage Adaptive Brakelights are standard.

Design:
* Elegant exterior with unique, unmistakable presence.
* Even greater emphasis of the car's sporting performance and dynamic qualities: Powerdome on the engine compartment lid, revised kidney grille, headlights and front air dam.
* More pronounced contours at the rear with new chrome trim, new tail lights and new rear air dam.
* New light contour on the side-sills.
* Even more sophisticated and painted surfaces inside the car.
* Control elements with similar functions combined in groups for optimum clarity and distinction.

Control, communication, entertainment:
* Detailed optimization of iDrive for even greater user friendliness.
* CD changer with MP3 CD-capability.
* Bluetooth hands-free phone capability.
Source: Autoweek

Now this is the direction that BMW should be headed in, very impressive

Last edited by stangg172004; 01-27-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Damn they still kept that ugly ass trunk design...
Old 01-27-2005, 07:51 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sipark
Damn they still kept that ugly ass trunk design...
but imagine the car without that trunk design, the whole cars body line flows from the front to the that trunk line that we all o'so "love". I dont really mind it, but when i first saw it, i was like, why? but than it grew on me.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Pit Stop?

Wow that looks REDICULOUSLY better..........I love it...........
Old 01-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Pinky all stinky

It looks a lot better.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Looks WWAAAYYYY better, and just with minor changes. Nice evolution.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I like it.

And the best thing about this is that it is going to make the other brands upgrade their engines to match the performance.

750I -------------360HP
S500-------------302HP
LS430-----------300HP
XJ8---------------290HP
A8----------------335HP
Old 01-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Those wheels would be hell to clean

Quick Reply: BMW: 7-Series News