BMW: 7-Series News

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Either way, it looks better than the Acura front ends.
Barely if even. THe back is nice but its a total knock off of the LS.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Feature: A short drive in the BMW Hydrogen 7

Review and photos by Jil McIntosh

Imagine a vehicle that performs the same as your gasoline car, but sends nothing more harmful than water vapour out its tailpipe. Does it sound too good to be true? Some people believe it is; others, like engineers at BMW, think it's the way of the future, and they say they've got the car to prove it.

The car is the Hydrogen 7, and the automaker recently brought several of them to Canada for journalists to drive. They're part of a fleet that the company is testing, including giving them to high-profile drivers to use in their daily activities, ranging from car collector Jay Leno to opera singer Placido Domingo. These models are actually the sixth generation of BMW hydrogen vehicles, and the first hydrogen car in the luxury class to pass through the standard development process for volume production. But don't run down to the dealer to trade in your 3 Series just yet: while these cars work, and work very well, it will be a long time before hydrogen vehicles become a daily reality, if they ever get there at all.

"This is about sustainable energy, air pollution and global warming," said Jason Perron, an engineer with BMW's Clean Energy Project. "Fossil fuels are finite, and there are geo-political issues surrounding them. Energy independence is important, and this is the direction we are taking. We feel that the internal combustion engine still has a future, especially with renewable fuels like this one. We expect a future with all types of vehicles, such as electric, fuel cells, hydrogen and biofuel capability."

The Hydrogen 7 is a dual-fuel vehicle with a regular internal combustion engine that burns either hydrogen or gasoline; it carries both, fuelled through separate fillers on its flank. Other hydrogen vehicles, including those currently being tested in real-world conditions by Honda and Ford, use a fuel cell that converts hydrogen to electricity, and then uses that electricity to power an electric motor that drives the car.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the systems. In its favour, hydrogen is virtually free of harmful emissions, sending only heat and water out the tailpipe (putting your hand behind the Hydrogen 7's pipe is similar to putting it over a kettle). Unlike oil, hydrogen can be produced almost everywhere - even in your driveway, should Honda prove successful with its experimental Home Energy Station, which will produce it from the house's natural gas supply. And a fuel cell can be combined with a plug-in electric system to produce a car that runs exclusively on batteries charged on household current, and then switches to a clean-emission system to continue driving the electric motor once the batteries wear down. One concept version of the Chevrolet Volt uses this.

But right now, the disadvantages to hydrogen are daunting, so much so that some critics say they are insurmountable.

The price of fuel cells will have to come down considerably before they'll be viable for consumers: Perron said they're between $150,000 and $175,000, which is one of the reasons why BMW uses a conventional engine. Secondly, storage is a major problem: the Hydrogen 7 can only carry enough liquid hydrogen to go about 200 km (a button on the steering wheel seamlessly switches between hydrogen and petroleum at any speed, so the car overall has a range of about 700 km). And finding the fuel is almost impossible, as a network of consumer liquid hydrogen filling stations simply doesn't exist. In order to demonstrate the vehicles in Toronto, BMW had to set up a mobile station. The Canadian National Exhibition grounds, where the presentation was made, has a hydrogen production station powered by a wind turbine, but it produces gaseous hydrogen and couldn't be used to fill the cars.

There's also considerable controversy over hydrogen itself, which isn't necessarily a "green" fuel. It can be made from water, using electricity to crack the hydrogen and oxygen apart; that's renewable if the electricity comes from water or wind turbines, or from solar panels, but many power plants are coal-fired. Today, though, hydrogen is most commonly (and most cheaply) made from natural gas, which is a fossil fuel; it can also be produced from other sources such as biomass, methanol, coal or oil. Hydrogen is also an energy carrier, not an energy source, and there's always a question of whether the method used to produce it requires more energy than the hydrogen ultimately provides. The production and distribution of hydrogen may be out of the automaker's hands, but it will be a major factor in whether vehicles like these are ever a common sight on our roads.

They certainly weren't during my test-drive, and the car got more than its share of stares, although it was due almost entirely to the large decals put on the doors specifically for such events: normally, only discreet badges and the large chrome secondary filler door give any clue as to the Hydrogen 7's alter ego. Inside, the only differences are the hydrogen/petroleum button on the wheel, a gauge in the driver information centre that indicates the remaining hydrogen, and slightly less legroom in the rear seat, which has been moved forward to accommodate the hydrogen tank. (Although the system can be fitted to any model, BMW chose its largest sedan because it could hold the largest possible tank.)

That tank mounts in the trunk, and even if it has a long way to go before it can hold enough hydrogen for everyday use, it's certainly a marvel of engineering. To stay liquid, hydrogen must be a beyond-bone-chilling minus-250C. BMW says the tank has an insulating effect equivalent to a 17-metre-thick jacket of Styrofoam, and if it held regular ice, it would take around 13 years for the block to thaw completely. I don't know about you, but I'm seeing a tremendous market opportunity for BMW-brand beer coolers.

The tank has also been extensively crash-tested - including being hit from behind by a truck - as well as dropped and shot, but the company says it has yet to rupture one (tests on the "injuries" to the crash-test dummy suggest that the tank even helps provide extra rear crash protection). Should it be necessary, an emergency system expels hydrogen through safety lines in the C-pillar and out through a vent in the roof; if the car lands on its top, there are secondary lines to a vent in the bumper. Special lock buttons on each door are hooked to sensors that continually check for hydrogen in the cabin, and should any be detected, the buttons will flash a red warning. (It isn't hazardous to breathe gaseous hydrogen, but any spark will ignite it.) Perron says that hydrogen isn't any more or less dangerous than gasoline, "just different."

Driving the Hydrogen 7 is similar to driving the regular model, except that the V12 engine has been dialed back from 438 hp to 260 hp to run smoothly on both fuels. It also takes longer to crank over when it starts, because it's purging the system, and there is a slight clattery noise when it switches from one fuel to the other, because the port injection system lacks sound insulation (it's inherent to this particular engine, not to hydrogen itself). Overall, it's business as usual behind the wheel, with smooth acceleration and performance on par with a luxury sedan; only those familiar with the V12's regular rocket acceleration will notice any difference. It's tough to give an exact figure because hydrogen is measured in kilograms, but the engineers estimate that the car averages the equivalent of 13.0 L/100 km on hydrogen, which is about what the regular 760Li gets on gasoline.

Fuelling it up is another story. The hose clamps to the car's filler neck, purges the system, and then dispenses the liquid hydrogen. At the temporary station, it takes between six and eight minutes to go from empty to full; at permanent stations, which BMW has available in Munich, a cryo-pump pushes the fuel in, requiring only three to four minutes. The company says that the fuelling process can be done by the driver and doesn't require a trained attendant, such as with propane; in future, stations might be completely automated, with hoses that find the filler necks and fuel the car without the driver getting out from behind the wheel.

But if such a service station is still in the future, so is the car it will eventually fill. BMW is already looking ahead: its next hydrogen vehicle will be a version of the new X6. And it's not the only one, as the U.S. Department of Energy recently announced up to US$15.3 million over the next five years for hydrogen storage research and development, part of an overall US$1.2 billion the government has committed to hydrogen fuel cells. Perhaps one day you might put a fuel made from water into your tank, and get the same back out from the tailpipe. But don't give up your gasoline card just yet.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...hydrogen-7.php
Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
wasnt the whole point to tone down some disfavored styling (so i have read).

so bangled was forced to remove the humpback whale in the rear. but still managed to sneak a pig up front?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Horrible. If I was in the market for a luxury car, the new 7 series would be last on my list. The S class has SO MUCH more presence.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
S65!
And yes, I definitely see a resemblance in LS460 taillights and the new 7....I'm not a fan.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by FastAcura
Horrible. If I was in the market for a luxury car, the new 7 series would be last on my list. The S class has SO MUCH more presence.
I'd rather have an A8 W12 if I was getting a German luxobarge.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I'd rather have an A8 W12 if I was getting a German luxobarge.
A8 is the best looking luxobarge to come out of Germany. Looks and drives great!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/f01/g...en_09.2008.php

http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/f01/g...n_location.php

http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/f01/g...n_location.php

Seriously, im totally in love with this car. Soooo happy the old 7series will be gone finally!

Also, how baller is this? The lights lite up as "7"!
http://www.7-forum.com/bild.php?bild...en_09.2008.php
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
The car has a weird looking face again...Looks like it's staring like this:
Old 10-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good God that grill is ugly
Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I saw a new one on the road last week and it looked awesome from the back and side. I don't like the front quite so much, but can overlook it.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

It's weird...given how the kidney bean grills (nose) are positioned with the headlights (eyes)...and then that open vent (mouth) at the bottom, ALL BMW cars now have this weird pig-like face to them...

Not a fan.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The more I see of it...the more I like it!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
What's up with the huge schnoz. I'd take the 08 over this. Or the A8 or the S500.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
The more I see of it...the more I like it!
No shock there.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AsianRage
What's up with the huge schnoz. I'd take the 08 over this. Or the A8 or the S500.
...or the Lexus LS...or the Maserati Quattraporte...or the Aston Martin Rapide...

I'm sure it drives great. But, man...that front.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
yeah that head on shot is hideous
Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
yeah that head on shot is hideous
We need Bangle to "explain" it.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
We need Bangle to "explain" it.
Goodness, why? He does not need to explain ...it's BMW. He could've slapped on a visor 10X larger than the Acura one and people would still think this car is the hottest thing since Nikki Whelan was born.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think Bangle really designed this vehicle. He's still the chief.

The upright front has to do with the European pedestrian safety standards. I'm not a fan of the vertical grille either, but that's the design direction. What I don't like is really the front hood line,

The side profile of the car is terrific, very sporty, and the interior is very nice. Much better than the current generation, there's no doubt.

The tail lights use the traditional L shape of BMW lights, in case some of you don't get it.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
People keep on dogging the front, but to be honest, I think the back looks worse; especially when you compare it to the current model.

What's with car manufacturers jacking up their cars these days?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

PRESS RELEASE

BMW ANNOUNCES JANUARY 2009 PRICE ADJUSTMENT
12/22/2008

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – December 22, 2008...BMW of North America, LLC announced today an average price increase of 0.7 percent for BMW vehicles sold in the U.S. effective January 1, 2009. This action is driven by the ongoing structural and economical changes in the market place. It will ensure revenue generation for the company's U.S. operations and help to protect the quality of business.

Pricing for the new Advanced Diesel vehicles remain unchanged. The all new 335d and X5 xDrive35d were launched recently and have begun arriving at BMW Centers this month.

In addition, BMW announced pricing for the new 2009 7 Series that debuted recently at the Los Angeles International Auto Show. The base price for the 750i is $81,125 and the 750Li is 85,025 (including $825 for destination and handling). Both models began production in November and will arrive at BMW Centers in the spring.

See attached for new BMW pricing for model year 2009 vehicles.

BMW Group in America

BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models, X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 Sports Activity Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 82 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/23/b...ces-on-everyt/
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
ugly.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
They are starting to look more alike (3-5-7).

It'll be interesting to see the sales pace going forward - cause nothing in the design will make a bit of diff - only lease deals will move them.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:04 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would never buy 7 over s class or a8
Old 12-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JS + TL
ugly.
People are still going to buy it because its BMW.

I bet the interior looks same to its previous model too...
Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 AM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 7 series doesn't have quite the spirit of a smaller and nimble BMW, but the new 7 seems to be a very good sporting machine nevertheless (according to several reviews).

Design wise, the new Z4 is such an elegant and striking design, kinda make you wonder what happens with the 7.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
I think it looks nice.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the s class shits all over this thing.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
eh' nothing to write home about
Old 12-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
the s class shits all over this thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
meh, the back actually ain't that bad but the front as said looks disproportionate. Either that or I just don't like ginormous cars.

E38 is still > any other 7
Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
meh, the back actually ain't that bad but the front as said looks disproportionate. Either that or I just don't like ginormous cars.

E38 is still > any other 7
one of the nicest sedans ever made..

Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
M-Parallels ftmfw!!! Ever since Tomorrow Never Dies or whatever it was, I thought the E38 was badass.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Speculation

From Worldcarfans...

BMW has time and time again denied even considering a 7 Series-based M7 luxury high-performance sedan. That doesn't stop the rumour mill from spinning at high speed though. For sure a twelve-cylinder 760i is under production as proven by spy pictures.

But this rendering of a possible BMW M7 may be seen as a nudge to the powers that be by fans that as nice as a 760i might be, it does not replace the craving they experience for something more. The front bumper is certainly M as it resembles other M bumpers from cars like the M5. The side mirrors were strangely left untouched but the wheels got seven double-spoke rims that almost pass as genuine M kit. This artist impression is more like the touch of a feather than a passionate stroke from a Picasso brush.

Sticking with the rumour theme, a BMW M7 would probably use the same 6.0-litre V12 from a 760i and produce in excess of 600hp (441kW) through the use of turbo technology. It would compete with cars like the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG/ S600 and the Audi S8.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
That'd be sick.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Guess Audi better step up and make an RS8.

Quick Reply: BMW: 7-Series News