BMW: 5-Series News

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 09:30 AM
At least it's not Jersey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Active Cruise Control (ACC), recently introduced on the 7 Series, will also available now on the new 5. This radar-based system is specially designed for highway driving, which makes it easy to maintain a safe and comfortable distance from the car in front.
I hope it doesn't operate on the same frequencies as police radar! What a mess that would create.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Certified Lurker

I dont know if im into the whole SMG type thing, im more of a traditionalist i guess...
Old 04-11-2003, 04:37 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Official 2004 5 Series brochure Part 1

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000141940.cfm

Its official.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First review for new BMW 5 series from England

It's the Diesel, but still interesting.

By Euan Sey

The time for conjecture and speculation is over - BMW's biggest-ever gamble, the wild-looking new 5-Series, is finally here. Its styling represents a bold move, especially in the conservative executive saloon sector, yet the firm is convinced buyers are ready to make the leap. But are we? We put the 530d through its paces - and were pleasantly surprised.

The trademark double grille has grown, and is flanked by a pair of double headlamp clusters that taper neatly into the bulge of the front arches. From any angle - especially the rear, with its 7-Series-inspired stepped bootlid and striking red and white lights - the newcomer has a huge road presence.

The wraparound dash has always been key to the 5-Series' image but, as in the flagship 7, BMW has turned its back on tradition. The convex centre panel creates a slightly bizarre feel from behind the wheel that isn't in keeping with the car's sporting heritage. Like its Mercedes E-Class rival, the 5 also inherits technology from its big brother - including the controversial iDrive system. The use of a new four-menu display simplifies the controls, but it's still fiddlier than the Audi A8's MMI.

Elsewhere, you'll find the usual blend of high-grade plastics, finely damped switchgear and tight-fitting panels. Our only gripe is a lack of thigh support during cornering - the driving position and seats are otherwise hard to fault. With a 520-litre boot and a wheelbase that's 62mm longer, rear occupants need no longer envy E-Class drivers.

The 218bhp 3.0-litre common-rail unit and six-speed ZF auto are from the 730d, and are tipped to be the most popular engine and transmission combination when the car arrives in July. After a few seconds behind the wheel, you can see why. The powerplant is refined, responsive and has masses of in-gear shove - 500Nm to be exact - making the car an ideal long-distance cruiser.

With smooth, rapid shifts in both fully automatic and manual override modes, the gearbox is a gem, too. CO2 emissions of 184g/km and fuel economy of 40.9mpg also compare favourably with equivalent Mercedes and Audi models.

The outgoing car had class-leading driver appeal, but the new 5 moves the game on with its uprated 7-Series chassis. Its theoretically perfect 50:50 front-to-rear weight distribution and front-engined, rear-drive layout generate superb grip and traction out of bends, while the Dynamic suspension (a £1,200 option) eliminates body roll when cornering hard. The ride also has a fluid, supple feel that combines with the heavily insulated cabin to make for near-silent progress at motorway speeds. Only a slight tyre rumble spoils things.

Much of the credit for this dynamic prowess goes to the Active Front Steering system fitted to our SE test model - an £880 option that varies the steering ratio according to the car's speed. It's light and direct when parking (less than two turns lock-to-lock), and weights up nicely as the pace increases. It also works with the sophisticated new DTC traction control, applying corrective lock in the event of a rear-end slide. Yet it's as communicative as a normal set-up.

Adaptive headlights, active cruise control and an iDrive-based head-up display also debut on the new 5-Series, which is expected to carry a premium of around £500 over its predecessor.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:35 PM
The Third Ball

Just like i thought, drives amazing, looks like crap. Its just so sad what kind of car the 5 series was and what they let bangle make it in to. I hope the next gen gets it back on track.

And the interior........BARF what a load of shit.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:22 PM

I knew it would drive great but damn it looks like a Kia. E39 M5 anyone?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:41 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I knew it would drive great but damn it looks like a Kia. E39 M5 anyone?
If i could own any single car in the entire world right now, i swear to god it would be a blue/black E39 M5!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

It just doens't have the presence of being an expensive car which the older 5 series had in spades. I'm sure it's very well built, but I'm not a huge fan of either the exterior or interior
Old 05-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
aaaahhh....that terrible i-Drive is in there!!!

looks like we have another winner thanks to Bangle!

EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that I'm talking about the how the car looks
Old 05-15-2003, 07:15 PM

It just doens't have the presence of being an expensive car which the older 5 series had in spades. I'm sure it's very well built, but I'm not a huge fan of either the exterior or interior
Bingo
Old 05-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Racer

Re: First review for new BMW 5 series from England

AHHAhahahahahahahaaa

That car is so challenging to look at. Ugh, how horrid. It's too bad, really. I like BMWs.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess im the odd ball, I like this and the 7 series
Old 05-15-2003, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

hmmm, i dunno. that interior looks a lil too artsy for me and what happened to the trunk struts? bmw run out of money or do they save those for the really expensive cars?
Old 05-15-2003, 09:58 PM
The hair says it all

the profile looks shitty w/ rimms which look small in the car. the dash looks stupid. back seats dont look comfortable. headlights aren't attractive.

nothing i like abuot that car...ill get an old one, thank you very much
Old 05-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Banned

wow, i liked it previous to these pictures. It looks like a terrible photoshop job.

The back is flat, charachterless, and huge looking with huge looking body panel gaps.

The side is flat, and huge looking, which makes the rims look extremely small, and awkward. Much like a Camry.

Forget about the front. It is just absolutely hideous.

The interior, which is usally the best part of bimmers, looks cheap as hell. Way too much black plastic.

I think they were trying to go for an elegant look, but failed miserably at that. A BMW should be badass looking. Elegant is for Mercedes.

Wow, they are going to loose a huge part of their market share with this.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

A second review from Europe:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Reliability and Quality

A robust body structure promises to keep rattles and squeaks at bay, the doors shut with the right kind of thunk while tasteful, high quality trim materials provide the sumptuous cabin ambience that you'd expect. However, several of the pre-production test cars suffered temporary failures of the electronic element of Active Steering system (this has no effect on the car's steerability or safety, we stress) and BMW is also working on a revised hydraulic steering valve to cure a problem mentioned in the 'comfort' section of this test. Another car had a faulty electric window, too. We'd expect these glitches to go by the time UK cars arrive, although the earliest cars may not get the revised steering valve.

BMW styling entered a controversial phase with the new 7-Series and the Z4 roadster, and this new 5-Series certainly bears a few unusual sculptings. But its styling appears more integrated and satisfying than the Seven's, while simultaneously appearing progressive and modern. BMWs are hardly exclusive any more, but the company's high quality and increasingly high-tech image remains, even if some consider it (and the behaviour of BMW drivers) over-aggressive.

Performance

Initially BMW is offering a 3.0-litre turbodiesel, and 2.0 and 3.0 petrol engines - all straight sixes. We haven't sampled the 2.0 yet, but of the two 3.0-litres, the diesel is undoubtedly the engine to go for, its bull-like pulling power providing performance far sportier than the petrol's. Proof lies in fourth gear acceleration from 50 to 75mph, the diesel dismissing this in 5.4 seconds while the petrol requires 7.4 seconds. On the road, you feel it. The diesel's muted baritone rumble is quite pleasant despite the odd clatter, its throttle response is lively and it's a quiet cruiser. In contrast, the petrol feels slightly anaemic, despite its 231 horses. That's the consequence of higher gearing than in the old car, with the result that it doesn't have the same pull, and revving it to find more produces a slightly rough-edged note that's a disappointing surprise from BMW's usually silken straight-sixes. That said, it's hardly slow.

Ease of Driving

The 5-Series is a fairly big car, but the view out is relatively unrestricted, radar makes parking easy and the major controls are all well placed and simple to use. However, some may struggle to find the ideal seating position - at least with the optional multi-adjustable seats we tried - despite the reach- and rake-adjustable steering wheel, while the electronic indicators can be confusing. Some may also struggle with the iDrive system, which controls the stereo, navigation programme, parts of the climate control and a variety of lesser items via a centre console-mounted rotary knob. While not as baffling than the controversial set-up in the 7-Series, it remains less than intuitive. Finally, changing gear smoothly in the diesel at low speeds is difficult without particularly deft footwork - unless you're a very keen driver, the automatic is the better bet.

Safety and Security

Its impressive array of passive safety features make it unlikely that the 5-Series will score less than five stars in the Euro NCAP tests, or provide anything less than excellent protection in a real world crash. Superb roadholding, agile handling and powerful brakes make it easier to avoid an accident in the first place, especially with the standard skid-countering fitment of DSC dynamic stability control. However, the optional Active Steering, which alters the extent that the car changes direction for a given swivel of the wheel, can surprise. Get used to the speed of its response at low speeds, and you can find yourself failing to turn the wheel sufficiently when you move to faster, curvy roads - a potentially alarming experience.

Roominess

Space front and rear is fairly generous, and if there isn't quite as much as in a Mercedes E-Class, there's usefully more rear legroom than found in the previous 5-Series. The boot is significantly larger too, its wider lid making it easier to load, though the opening between the rear lamps could be wider. Front seat passengers may find the dashboard a little intrusive where it bulks towards the centre, however, and oddments space is limited, the door bins and the centre console box being small. There are two small cubbies in the dash and the glovebox is generous, but the (inelegant) twin front cupholders, annoyingly, are optional.

Running Costs

Low service bills, reduced crash repair costs and the likelihood of strong residual values should make the new 5-Series relatively inexpensive to run for a car of this type, especially if it's the 530d, which is good for 40.9mpg on the combined cycle. The 530i, on the other hand, returns 29.7mpg, and the 520i 31.4mpg. Its lower CO2 levels will make the diesel very attractive to company car drivers.

Comfort

So far, we've only sampled cars equipped with the optional Dynamic Drive anti-roll system and Active Steering. For the most part, the ride is impressively pillowy, the lack of body roll imparting comfortable progress over twisty roads. However, sharp bumps and potholes seem to catch the suspension out. The jarring worsens if you opt for the sports suspension, which - given the active anti-roll system - appears to offer little benefit. Active Steering undoubtedly eases urban manoeuvres because you need to twirl the wheel less in tight spots, and it lends the car a feel of great agility. But on straight roads the steering wheel sometimes squirms very slightly in your hands, calling for constant corrections, a trait that could get tiresome on motorways. BMW is readying a fix, but it may not make it into early UK cars fitted with Active Steer. Noise levels are low, save for the odd bit of diesel clatter and the slightly stressed sounds of the 3.0 petrol at high revs. Surprisingly, there's more wind roar than there should be at a cruise. Yet despite these flaws, the 5-Series is a pretty calming and pleasant place to be.

Fun to Drive

When equipped with Active Steering and Dynamic Drive, the 5-Series provides a lot more entertainment than you'd expect from an executive car, especially when powered by the diesel. More willing than most of this breed, the 530d accelerates with almost startling urgency, its exceptional thrust usually enough to overcome gearing that leaves a big gap between second and third gears, a quirk affecting both manual and auto. The 530i is similarly engaging, but doesn't offer quite the thrust and the high-rev refinement. The automatic transmission, whose ratios can be manually selected via the gearlever, works well. The manual gearchange isn't the quickest and the engine's narrow rev range means you'll use it a lot on tightly curving roads, but the results are highly satisfying. They're put to good use by suspension that provides exceptional roadholding and stability. If the car has Active Steering - which quickens its responses on a very twisty road - the combination of all that grip, the near roll-free cornering provided by Dynamic Drive's active anti-roll bars and the protection of stability control allow breathtaking cornering speeds. Criticisms of the car (admittedly of the highly optioned test cars) are few. The steering is well weighted but can feel strange as it moves off-centre. The brakes, though powerful, don't feel as convincing as they actually are, and drivers that like to perform heel and toe gearchanges may struggle to position themselves so that their knees don't foul the steering column. Bear in mind that we have yet to test the car in the condition that most examples will be sold in - that is, without Dynamic Drive and Active Steering - although we'd expect it to be above average.

Stereo/Sat Nav

Both stereo and navigation are operated via the iDrive system, which requires familiarisation to master, although it's a better system than found in the 7-Series. The stereo delivers excellent sound quality while the navigation system issues clear instructions. However, you have to pay extra for visible mapping, the standard system providing no more than arrowed and aural guidance. The optional head-up display, which projects navigation instructions onto the windscreen, jet-fighter style, along with your speed and any warnings, is a useful but inessential feature.

Value for Money

The new 5-Series is projected to be 2 percent more expensive than the old in the SE trim levels that it will be launched with, a modest increase given the advances it offers. However, guide prices for the more basic models have not been announced, and nor have standard equipment levels. We'd expect these to be competitive, but not over-generous. Quite a few of the car's headline technologies, such as Active Steering, Dynamic Drive and the head-up instrument display, are likely to be extras.

Used

If you can afford it, the 5-Series should make a wise used buy because we expect it to hold its value well. However, the quality glitches experienced on this car, and those suffered by the first examples of the 7-Series, suggest that it might be wise to avoid buying early examples, used or new.

Specification/Warranty

Specification
Engines: 520i - 2171cc; 530i - 2979cc; 530d - 2993cc; 24 valves, six cylinders
Max power: 520i - 170bhp at 6100rpm; 530i - 231bhp at 5900rpm; 530d - 218bhp at 4000rpm
Max torque: 520i 155lb ft at 3500rpm; 530i 221lb ft at 3500rpm; 530d: 369lb ft at 2000rpm
0-62mph acceleration: 520i - 9.0 seconds; 530i - 6.9 seconds; 530d - 7.1 seconds
Fuel consumption (combined): 520i - 31.4mpg; 530i - 29.7mpg; 530d - 40.9mpg
CO2 emissions g/km: 520i - 219; 530i - 231; 530d - 184
VED rating: £165

Transmission: six-speed manual; six-speed automatic optional; rear-wheel drive
Suspension, front: spring strut, coil springs, gas shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
Suspension, rear: Integral multi-arm axle, coil springs, gas shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
Stability systems: ASC anti-skid control, DSC dynamic stability control, DTC dynamic traction control;optional Dynamic Drive active anti-roll control
Steering: rack and pinion, power assisted; optional active steering with Servotronic assistance
Brakes: ventilated discs all-round, ABS anti-lock, CBC corner brake control, DBC emergency brake assist
Weight: 520i - 1560kg; 530i - 1570kg; 530d - 1670kg
Length x width x height: 4841mm x 2036mm x 1468mm
Wheelbase: 28788mm
Tyres: 225/55 R16 standard all models
Insurance group: TBA

BMW

Dealers

Warranty
3 years/60,000 miles

Anti-corrosion warranty
6 years

Paint warranty
None
Old 05-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Certified Lurker

New 5 Series Pics

Most have been scene, but some cool new pics, including a cool lineup pic of all the 5 series gens....overall, this design is starting to grow on me....the third pic on the top row is realy hot looking if you ask me.

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/maga...0.asp?id=11606
Old 05-17-2003, 05:37 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

yeah its growin on me too.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:12 PM
The Third Ball

odd, its looking worse every time i see it.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:17 PM
The hair says it all

i hate their fucking desginer

im so pissed at him
Old 05-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

Old 05-17-2003, 10:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I love that HUD. I hope more lux cars get it soon.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned

Looks better in the real life pictures. I am gonna wait till I see it.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Old 05-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
The only car I like from Chris Bungle's portfolio is the Z4. The rest = teh suck.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, that's incredibly underwhelming. I do believe 5 Series sales will suffer. (Just like the 7 series)
Old 05-19-2003, 10:01 PM
The hair says it all

i like the front but the back makes me puke
Old 05-19-2003, 10:51 PM
TQ > MPG

Nice interior, but they messed up the exterior realllllllllllly bad. The 97-03 5 series were one of the best looking sedan designs ever, and they followed it up with crap. JMO
Old 05-20-2003, 01:28 AM
Certified Lurker

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Wow, that's incredibly underwhelming. I do believe 5 Series sales will suffer. (Just like the 7 series)
The new 7 sold much better then the old one if im not mistaken...gavrill am i mistakin?

Whenever i see the front of this thing i keep geting this feeling that its angry at me. Not sure if anyone else seems to get this feeling though
Old 05-20-2003, 07:59 AM
At least it's not Jersey

I like the look of the front. Say's "Get the hell out of my way!" but that trunk opening is fucking terrible! Scrap the whole back end! Didn't they redesign the 7 already because it looked like this?!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Banned

Did they just decide to copy? The BMW should be the bad ass version of a Benz. A Benz should be the elegant version of a BMW. Not the other way around.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New 5 Series: First Drive

Story from AutoWeek: http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=02358374

First Drive 5: Is The 2004 BMW 5 Series Still the World's Best Sedan?
The GOOD, the BAD and the... CONTROVERSIAL exterior BMW’S NEW 5 OFFERS ALL THREE

By MARK VAUGHN

“DOES IT HAVE THAT 7 Series exterior?”

That was what everybody asked when they heard we’d driven the new BMW 5 Series, due out this fall. The answer? Well, yes, it does have “that 7 Series exterior,” but come on, man, that Chris Bangle design dude has to be a genius or they wouldn’t give him such free rein with these things. If you don’t like the look of the 7 and 5 Series you’re just not forward-thinking enough, or you can’t appreciate the subtle integration of curve and thrust, the tension and anger of the shapes and forms, the... aw, heck, design is subjective. At least you get more trunk space.

There are plenty of people who’ve said the humpy back end of the 7 has grown on them. And they’ll warm to the 5, too, just you wait and see (and maybe even the next 3, yikes!). Or maybe they won’t, who knows?

Besides, it’s what’s under that skin that really counts to driving purists like you. Look at the dynamics and handling of the new 5 Series and there will be far more immediate and universal enthusiasm for the car.

The new 5 Series’ front end is made mostly of aluminum to keep all models within 1 percent of a perfect 50/50 front/rear weight balance. It also has an all-aluminum suspension to lighten up unsprung weight, the 7 Series’ Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) to flatten out corners, and BMW’s first take on a head-up display. It will showcase the world’s first production active steering that makes whipping through slalom cones a breeze, even if it feels just a bit unusual through the fingers. Plus, it gets the equally controversial iDrive cabin computer interface, but with a nice new four-color screen so you can be confused in Technicolor.

So does the good on the new 5 outweigh the bad (and what some call the ugly)? Yes. The new 5 Series remains the benchmark in the luxury/performance sedan category. You just can’t find an ill-handling, poorly powered BMW, it seems, whether it has a BMW badge on the back or a Mini, Rolls-Royce or even Ford-owned Land Rover moniker. The company’s stellar powertrain and suspension engineering overwhelms whatever other features the Muenchners may be experimenting with on any given model.

Let’s start with the good stuff. The chassis and suspension setup on the 5 Series is almost exactly the same as that of the 7, only 7.6 inches shorter, 2.2 inches narrower and 0.9 inch lower overall. But it’s bigger than the previous 5 by about two inches in every dimension. The chassis proper has a front track 1.81 inches wider than the former 5 Series at 61.34, the rear track is 2.2 inches wider at 62.28, and the wheelbase is 2.44 inches longer at 113.78.

Front suspension is a strut with two lower links while the rear four-link is essentially the same as that on the 7. Wheels and tires range from 16 inches with 225/55 V-rated all-season tires on the base 525i to 225/50s on 17-inch wheels standard on the 530i and 545i. Add the sport package and you get a stiffer spring and shock calibration as well as 245/45 W-rated run-flats on 17-inch wheels on the 525i, up to 275/35W-18 run-flats on the rear end of the 545i. ARS and active steering are standard on the sport package, too.

What is this new active steering stuff? Think of it as a transmission for the steering column, a planetary gearset transmission. The column drops down to a set of planetary gears that orbit the shaft. The planetary gears, and thus the steering ratio, are automat-ically electrically adjusted by a servo, which in turn is controlled in concert with the car’s Dynamic Stability Control computer. At slow speed, active steering makes it easier to park, boosting the pinion’s amount of influence on the rack, a feature you might have expected. But at higher speeds the ratio gets numerically lower. The active part is that the system can correct an overzealous yaw angle to keep the car from spinning out, effectively lessening the amount of countersteer you, in your panicked state, have dial-ed in. More on this later, but it pretty much works as advertised, though it feels weird.

Throw in the optional ARS, BMW’s automatic antiroll bar that counters most of the body’s sway by yanking down on the inside corners of the car, along with that nearly 50/50 weight balance and you have what turns out to be a very nice package.

Thrusting that suspension through curves is your choice of three engines and three transmissions, none of which is new: the entry-level 2.5-liter straight six, 3.0-liter straight six and the mighty 4.4-liter V8. They’re the same great, torque-happy, smooth-revving engines we’ve loved for years.

Transmission choices are the ZF six-speed manual, the six-speed Steptronic automatic or the six-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG). Again, nothing new here but still among the best units on the market. The only thing is that to get the SMG transmission, you also have to get the sport package.

BMW lists 0-to-60-mph times ranging from 8.7 seconds for a 525i with an automatic to 5.8 seconds for a 545i with a six-speed manual or SMG transmission. The 530i showed 0-to-60 times on the spec sheet of 6.8 seconds for the manual/ SMG and 7.0 for the six-speed automatic.

The 530is we drove had the 17-inch run-flat tires with the sport suspension, even though the sport suspension in U.S. trim requires the 18-inch wheels. Whatever, it worked splendidly.

BMW chose to introduce this car on the island of Sardinia in the middle of the Mediterranean. The Northern Europeans like to go south for the winter and, apparently, for the late spring as well. Sardinia isn’t necessarily known for its great roads—the Targa Florio wasn’t held here, it was in Sicily, to the southeast. But BMW managed to scout out some terrific two- and one-and-a-half-lane mountain pavement for us to pilot the car through.

The most noticeable thing about the way the new car felt was its addition of ARS. It seemed to corner faster with this than without it, as was the case with the 7 Series before it. Like the similar active body control in top Mercedes-Benz products, it could be tuned to provide completely flat cornering, but isn’t. Enough body roll was left in to remind you what the car was doing underneath you. But not so much that you cornered on the side skirts. In a straight line at high speeds, the antiroll-bar effect was all but disconnected, making for a plush ride. It was a nice blend of response and control with luxury and comfort, leaning more toward performance and control, as it should in a BMW.

The next most noticeable thing was the active steering. The day before we’d piloted a car with active steering and one without it around a tight Sardinian autocross course. In a very claustrophobic slalom, the active steering really shined. It guided the car through the cones faster and with less effort than the passive steering, which seemed to fight you rather than assist after several hard, fast cranks of the wheel. But the weighting of the active steering felt odd, as if the amount of assist was changing all the time, which it was, of course. Changing the steering ratio gave it a sort of leveraged effect on the rack, an effect that was exaggerated since there was no constant ratio. The ratio vaulted from 10:1 to 18:1, a fairly big swath. This odd feeling could go away in time as we get used to driving the car, but initially it felt... different.

One of the active steering cars (not ours) had to be reset several times when the active steering didn’t return the steering wheel to center after a couple of quick, hard turns. A light came on on the dash and the driver stopped and restarted the car to reset the wheel to center—like reboot-ing a computer. If active steering completely fails for any reason, it returns to a set ratio that doesn’t vary.

We drove a 530i with a six-speed manual on the slalom and had a great time. The manual feels a little heavy, but considering all the torque routed through it, that was forgivable. We spent most of the next day in a six-speed automatic, which was also fun on the winding, diving skinny strings of blacktop fettuccini that pass for roads in Sardinia. The only thing we wanted was a set of redundant shifting controls for the wheel, but anyone wanting that will probably be steered toward buying the SMG unit. There were no SMG 5 Series available on our drive.

Ultimately, the new 5 Series is still incredibly fun to drive. Its balance is almost unmatch-ed in the segment, the engine choices have never disappointed and overall engineering has been the benchmark in the industry. BMWs used to be more roundly accepted for styling, too, but what the heck.

The 530i will get here first, by early October, with the 525i and 545i coming soon after that. Prices will be announced closer to the car’s introduction, but BMW did say the European-spec 530i will cost 40,600 euros, or $46,900, as of press time. U.S. models come more fully loaded than the European models, so you might want to add a little to that figure. The base 2003 model 530i starts at $41,100.

While no official announcement was made about an M5, we can probably expect to see one within two years of the new 5’s introduction. The wagon will likely come out within one year. Look for about the same number of cars once production gets up to speed—last year BMW sold just more than 40,000 5 Series: 40 percent 525s, 45 percent 530s and 15 percent with the V8. BMW may even offer Americans a diesel someday, saying it is embarking on an evaluation of the diesel market. A diesel version of the new 5 will be offered in Europe.

Now, if only BMWs could all be as appealing outside as they are inside, from behind the wheel...
Old 05-28-2003, 10:16 PM
The hair says it all

woah

hate the styling but DAMN!!!!! nice car
Old 05-28-2003, 11:35 PM
The Third Ball

We all knew the car would drive and handle amazing...BUT HOW MUCH DID BANGLE PAY THIS DIPSHIT TO KISS HIS ASS FOR THE FIRST PART!?!

Car looks like ass, I dont care whats under the hood!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Danny gotz some newz!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

bleh, I liked the 7 series exterior when it came out(and still do)...
I don't like this new 5-series styling though. I don't think it'll grow on me either. But ya never know...
Old 05-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing I'm not all that happy about are the headlights, but I like the rear and the rest of the car.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
545 looks cool...smg baby
Old 05-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That asswipe lost all his credibility when he said, "that Chris Bangle design dude has to be a genius"
Old 05-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
yea...BUT SMG!!!!

sigh tru the design is kinda fugly...but they had to change the old design sometime...

Quick Reply: BMW: 5-Series News