Toyota: Sequoia News

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Toyota: Sequoia News

Toyota fears bigger ute is, well, too big - - Source: Autoweek

AT A GLANCE:
Sales of the Toyota Sequoia SUV are on the wane for the 4th straight year. More unsettling, Toyota is worried that the redesigned 2008 model may be too large.
2006 (9 mos.) 25,373
2005 45,904
2004 58,114
2003 67,067
2002 70,187

LOS ANGELES -- Toyota's first-generation Sequoia was dinged for being smaller than other large SUVs. Now some Toyota executives fear that a much bigger Sequoia, which arrives next fall, swung too far the other way.

Sales of big SUVs are shrinking, and for more reasons than expensive gasoline. The bigger-is-better fad has passed, executives say. And the bigger Sequoia may arrive just as the party lets out.

"I worry about the Sequoia being too big and not having enough fuel economy, more than I do with the (redesigned) Tundra," said Don Esmond, senior vice president of automotive operations at Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.

A driver of a full-sized pickup "won't worry about getting two miles per gallon less, if it's the only thing that can haul his work gear," Esmond said. "But there are a lot of choices besides an SUV for hauling your kids to soccer practice."

The Sequoia is based on the Tundra platform, although it has a different frame and a shorter wheelbase and overall length. The redesigned 2007 Tundra has grown considerably, and Toyota insiders say the redesigned Sequoia will grow similarly.

Some Toyota managers, who declined to be identified, worry that the automaker overcompensated for the current Sequoia, which was seen as too small.

Chunk of factory
The problem for Toyota is that Sequoia production takes up a big chunk of its Princeton, Ind., factory, where Tundras also are made. But Toyota is preparing its San Antonio Tundra-only plant, anticipating more volume. If demand for the new Tundra falls short, the Sequoia must pick up the slack in Princeton.

If a fuel crunch hurts sales of both products, that could present a rare problem for Toyota: overcapacity. When that happens, either the factory is unprofitable, or the sales arm has to increase incentives to move the metal. For Toyota, neither option is acceptable.

Company officials declined to give specifics about the Sequoia's 2008-model redesign or its sales targets.

The 2007 Sequoia's base sticker price, including shipping, is $33,805. The V-8-powered truck gets 18 mpg on the highway and 15 in the city.

The large-SUV market, which floated in the 600,000-plus-unit range during its boom years, will decline to slightly more than 500,000 units this year, according to Toyota internal estimates.

Fading glamour
Toyota research shows that the "glamour aspect" of the large-SUV boom is waning, as those buyers move on to the next trend, says Ernest Bastien, vice president of Toyota's vehicle operations group.

"Single people didn't need full-sized SUVs, but they wanted them," Bastien says. "Hummer exploited that. For a while, the buyer mentality was that bigger is better. But economics have shown that, unless you really needed the vehicle, you may not really want to drive it."

In 2001 and 2002, Toyota had a 9.8 percent share of the combined large- and premium-SUV market from its Sequoia, Land Cruiser and Lexus LX 470.

But sales have slowed as its products have aged. Toyota's share has skidded to 6.4 percent so far this year. Through September, the entire segment's sales have fallen to 499,095 units, down from 598,534 units for the same period last year.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Everyday Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very interested in this new model....we're getting ready to start looking at full size SUV's and the '08 would likely be a member of our final four. So long as the mileage is in the Escalade/Denali range (13/19), I'm good with that..

I looked at the Denali last week and liked it a lot but did NOT like the fact that the third row does not fold flat...that could be a deal breaker for us.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I dunno, I think a bigger Sequioa will help sales.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by keg1997
I am very interested in this new model....we're getting ready to start looking at full size SUV's and the '08 would likely be a member of our final four. So long as the mileage is in the Escalade/Denali range (13/19), I'm good with that..

I looked at the Denali last week and liked it a lot but did NOT like the fact that the third row does not fold flat...that could be a deal breaker for us.
Have you thought about the new Nissan Pathfinder? 3 rows of seats, it's pretty damn big now.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Drifting

my friend's got an 06 sequoia fully loaded and that thing is such a great car. hauling, road trips, etc. It's very, very comfortable.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Instructor

FYI the Toyotas 3rd seat does not fold flat either.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Safety Car

The Sequoia's lame.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
They definitely need a redesign as the're pretty much the most dated SUV. There is nothing special about the inside or the outside since 2002.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Sequoia = bland.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Have you thought about the new Nissan Pathfinder? 3 rows of seats, it's pretty damn big now.
I have not seriously looked at it since it first came out...ironic since we're upgrading a '01 PF. The Armada would be likely"our" size but we both do not like the interior...not enough luxury for us. Possibly the QX56 but the exterior is way to similar to the Armada.
We'll see....
Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by KatyTL
FYI the Toyotas 3rd seat does not fold flat either.
That's from before when Toyota had not caught on to this design. Judging by its presence on the Sienna and the new Rav4, I expect the new Sequioa to have it. Unlike GM, whose new full sizers still don't employ this deature. Even Ford caught on with the new Expedition.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
That's from before when Toyota had not caught on to this design. Judging by its presence on the Sienna and the new Rav4, I expect the new Sequioa to have it. Unlike GM, whose new full sizers still don't employ this deature. Even Ford caught on with the new Expedition.
It's not that GM hasn't "caught on to the design." The Expedition has IRS and can therefore accomodate the third floor folding flat. The new GMT900s don't have it for increased towability and offroad prowess. We'll have a good idea about the Sequioa's third row after we see the specs of the Tundra (which debuts first) from which it's based.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zigzagzig
my friend's got an 06 sequoia fully loaded and that thing is such a great car. hauling, road trips, etc. It's very, very comfortable.

Sat in a sequoia at the auto show, thing has the interior of a 13k car. Comfortable is one thing, being the best in class is another.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Everyday Joe

^^^^
That was the first gen and I'd agree with you that it is not anything special at all.

The new one will likely be worlds better...we'll know when the Tundra is introduced.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by titan
It's not that GM hasn't "caught on to the design." The Expedition has IRS and can therefore accomodate the third floor folding flat. The new GMT900s don't have it for increased towability and offroad prowess. We'll have a good idea about the Sequioa's third row after we see the specs of the Tundra (which debuts first) from which it's based.
Ahh, how informative. But regardless, the 3rd row is practically useless, and it shouldn't be in such a big vehicle. The problem is that it's basically a seat on the floor...there is very little height, so adults (who can actually fit back there) sit with their knees to their chests. I think/know GM can do better.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
Ahh, how informative. But regardless, the 3rd row is practically useless, and it shouldn't be in such a big vehicle. The problem is that it's basically a seat on the floor...there is very little height, so adults (who can actually fit back there) sit with their knees to their chests. I think/know GM can do better.
I totally feel ya... and agree. It's just a tradeoff that GM/Ford/etc. has to make. The GMC Acadia is almost the same size size it's GMC Yukon with more interior space... and the third row is sure to be totally usable, though it may not be able to scale a moutain. Guess which one I'd choose...
Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 AM
has been here awhile

2008 Toyota Sequoia

2008 Toyota Sequoia introduced

November14
Toyota today unveiled its second-generation 2008 Sequoia full-size SUV, which features a new body, a new interior, a new chassis, and an available new 5.7L V8 engine coupled to a six-speed transmission.

A new platform provides exterior dimensions that are competitive with other vehicles in the Sequoia's class. Inside, efficient packaging gives the new Sequoia a roomier cabin and more luggage space.

The large V8 engine provides 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. This engine, which is ULEV-II compliant, uses four valves per cylinder and Dual Variable Valve Timing. The exhaust system, constructed of stainless steel, uses a valve in the main muffler to alter exhaust flow, reduce exhaust noise and improve performance.

As a result, the 2008 Sequoia capacity of 10,000 lbs. In addition to the available 5.7L V8 engine, the 4.7L iForce V8 continues to be offered as standard.

An electronically controlled five-speed automatic ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) is mated to the standard 4.7L V8, while a new six-speed ECT automatic is part of the powertrain package when the available with the 5.7L V8.

The truck's new platform features independent suspension at both front and rear, improving ride comfort and handling.

Sequoia is equipped with Toyota's STAR Safety System, which includes VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), and TRAC (Traction Control) (2WD models) or A-TRAC (Active-Traction Control) (4WD models), ABS (antilock braking) with EBD (electronic brake force distribution) and Brake Assist.

The eight-seater comes standard with front, side, and curtain airbags, including a curtain system that extends from the front seat to the back of the third-row seat.

Standard equipment and options

The 2008 Sequoia is available in three grades – SR5, Limited and Platinum.

The list of standard items on the SR5 and Limited grades, includes the 276 hp 4.7L V8 engine and automatic transmission, engine immobilizer with alarm, direct tire pressure monitoring system, seating for eight passengers, eight-way manually adjustable driver's seat, four-way manually adjustable front passenger's seat, fold-flat feature for second- and third-row seats, auto tri-zone air conditioning, power windows, locks, back window, keyless entry, AM/FM/CD eight-speaker audio system with a mini-plug for iPod compatibility, rear wiper and defogger, tilt/telescope steering wheel, cruise control, spare tire and mud guards.

To that, the Limited grade adds front and rear parking sonar, fog lamps, heated leather-trimmed seats, 10-way-adjustable driver's seat, leather-trimmed steering wheel and gear shift knob, Optitron gauges, multi-information display, electrochromatic rear-view mirror, roof rack, running boards and JBL Synthesis audio system with Bluetooth capability.

The Platinum grade includes all of the above, and also adds the 5.7L V8 engine and six-speed transmission, 20-inch diamond cut-finish alloy wheels, rear load-leveling air suspension, power seat memory package, heated and air-conditioned front seats (driver and first-row passenger), second-row heated seats, rear spoiler, power back door, sunroof, headlamp cleaner, and navigation system with a backup camera.

A wide range of options is available on the SR5 and Limited Grades, including the 5.7L V8 engine and six-speed transmission, four-wheel drive, a towing package, rear-seat entertainment system, heated leather-trimmed seat packages, load-leveling rear air suspension, sunroof, 20-inch alloy wheels, power back door, and more. Laser cruise control is an option exclusive to the Platinum grade.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-sequoia.html

Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Meh looks just like that Chrysler Aspen...they're getting too chunky looking.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Kill it before it can breed!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Safety Car

I really don't like the exterior. As already mentioned, it's chunky and clumsy looking... it's look is almost as wierd as the Highlander. I like the interior, though.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
The ugly just got uglier
Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
front end looks way too short. doesnt look right.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Race Director

who the heck needs an SUV that big? I still don't understand how a company like Toyota covers both ends of the spectrum with a car that has the best mpg, Prius, to this big behemoth that only gets 10-13 mpg probably.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I could never drive something that enormous. My God.

Exterior is ugly, too.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I like it. It's simply (like all the other big SUVs) the Toyota Tundra with 3 rows of seats instead of truck bed.

With a household of 7 a vehicle this large is getting to be a necessity. I wonder if they will make a stretched version to compete with the Burban and Expediiton EL.

I like the fold flat second and third rows. It seems they would have said if it folded automatic like the Expedition so I guess it doesn't. But there are a couple of switches in the back.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Pinky all stinky

Yikes it's fucking huge!! @ Toyota
Old 11-15-2007, 12:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by bl^5
I like it. It's simply (like all the other big SUVs) the Toyota Tundra with 3 rows of seats instead of truck bed.

With a household of 7 a vehicle this large is getting to be a necessity. I wonder if they will make a stretched version to compete with the Burban and Expediiton EL.

I like the fold flat second and third rows. It seems they would have said if it folded automatic like the Expedition so I guess it doesn't. But there are a couple of switches in the back.
Besides mormons...who has a household of 7?!?!?!?!

...and even if there are 7 peeps in the household...get a minivan.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

Edmunds has a write up on the new Sequioa. It's supposedly just as big as the Expedition, but it just looks twice as large.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gawd..

that thing is huge and ugly!

i'll take a 4runner and keep the change.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

meh...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

"Toyota targeted by environmentalists at car show"

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. is usually the darling of the Los Angeles Auto Show, but testy relations with environmentalists and questions about quality are making the show a headache for the automaker this year.

It doesn't help that Toyota chose to introduce a full-size sport utility vehicle at the show, and the redesigned Sequoia doesn't have a hybrid option like full-size SUVs from General Motors Corp (Charts, Fortune 500). and Chrysler LLC that are debuting across the show floor. The Los Angeles show opens to the public Friday after two days of media previews.

After the Sequoia was introduced Wednesday, an environmental activist with a video camera approached Toyota's general manager for U.S. sales, Bob Carter, and asked why the company won't withdraw from a lawsuit against California, which has sued the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to establish tougher fuel economy rules.

Carter refused to answer and knocked the camera out of Brent Olson's hands. Olson, of San Francisco-based Rainforest Action Network, was eventually led away by two policemen.

A handful of protesters also picketed Toyota outside the show and planned further protests Thursday.

After the spat, Carter said Toyota and environmentalists have more in common than not, and that Toyota supports tougher fuel economy standards but doesn't want them decided at the state level.

"We believe it's best applied at the federal level," he said. "We're a full-line manufacturer and we want to meet consumer needs."

He added that despite the rise in fuel prices, many U.S. buyers simply need the utility and space of a full-size SUV.

The Sequoia has a new 5.7-liter, V-8 engine that is more powerful - at 381 horsepower - and more fuel efficient than the old engine. It also has improved aerodynamics to save fuel, and the company plans to introduce an ethanol-capable version in the fall of 2008. Pricing wasn't announced for the new Sequoia, which goes on sale in December.
Best resale value cars by type

Fuel economy numbers haven't been released, but Carter said they'll improve by about 12 percent over the old model, or 2 to 3 miles per gallon. The current Sequoia gets around 15 mpg in the city, compared with 21 mpg for the new hybrids from Chrysler and GM, including the Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen SUVs, the Chevrolet Tahoe SUV and Chevrolet Silverado pickup.

Carter said Toyota (Charts) plans to offer hybrid versions of every vehicle in its lineup and is also studying combinations such as hybrid diesels. But it hasn't managed to develop a system that works well in large trucks like GM and Chrysler did in their consortium with Daimler and BMW.

"We're not there yet. There's no technology to meet all our customers' needs," he said.

Toyota's sterling reputation has taken a beating in recent months because of quality problems and environmentalists' anger. Toyota also was stung this fall by the departures of some key executives, including its North American chief, Jim Press, who left to become vice chairman of Chrysler LLC, and its U.S. manager of Lexus, Jim Farley, who went to Ford Motor Co (Charts, Fortune 500).

Last month, Consumer Reports said Toyota "is showing cracks in its armor" and will no longer get automatic recommendations from the magazine when it releases new or redesigned vehicles. It also removed several Toyota vehicles from its recommended list because of quality issues.

Toyota recalled 766,000 vehicles in the United States last year, down from 2.2 million in 2005 but still up significantly from the 210,000 vehicles it recalled in 2003.

Also last month, the Natural Resources Defense Council and other groups sent thousands of e-mails and faxes to Toyota urging it to support a Senate energy bill that would set a 35 mpg average fuel economy standard by 2020. Toyota backs a more modest approach on so-called CAFE standards that would require 32 to 35 mpg by 2022.

The company's most recent embarrassment came earlier this week, when it pulled an ad that called Fresno a "low-budget tourist stop" after U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein wrote to complain.

Jim Lentz, president of Toyota's U.S. division, said the troubles are the result of Toyota's phenomenal growth.

"We knew we would become more of a target in terms of looking at what we do, good or bad," Lentz said.

And Toyota continues to have a lot in its favor. Dealers say the negative news hasn't had much effect on sales, Lentz said. The company still has 17 of the 39 most reliable vehicles on Consumer Reports' influential list, far more than any other automaker.

Toyota last week reported a hefty $4 billion profit in its fiscal second quarter, the same day that GM reported a record $39 billion quarterly loss because of accounting changes. Toyota also is hot on the heels of GM to become the world's largest carmaker. Toyota sold 7.05 million vehicles in the first nine months of this year, just 10,000 less than GM.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/15/auto...ion=2007111512
Old 11-15-2007, 03:03 PM
To punish and enslave

I thought that was a QX
Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
get a minivan....or an Econoline if you really need the space.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
I thought that was a QX
the overall proportion is more akin to the Nissan/Infiniti than the squatter looking domestics. Except for that bovine of an SUV, the Durango.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No thanks...
Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
has been here awhile

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

I think they have the competition beat. While not in the market for a beast this big (along with anyone else in the US at this point in time) I think they do have all the competition beat. I would definitely take this over a Tahoe/Suburban, Yukon, Expedition, Armada, or Durango. Same thing can be said of the Tundra against its competitors.

The exterior is bold and chunky--and I think it works. The front of this thing is just a beast; something that everyone wanted out of Toyota since the Tundra's inception. The interior is loaded with features and looks to be of high quality. It has everything you could possibly want in a vehicle like this. I'm a fan of the little details like the ability to power-extend the seat cushion of the driver's seat, adaptive cruise control (which could come in very handy on long road trips in a vehicle like this), sunshades for the rear passengers, a power-folding third row, headlamp washers, etc. This thing is just well packaged.

Would I ever buy one? No way. Don't need something that big (not sure anyone does, really). I'm sure it gets dismal gas mileage and in this day and age bad gas mileage does not sell. The days of the big-SUV are essentially over.

The fact of the matter is that while Toyota put together a great package, they arrived late to the party...and not the point at which the party starts up again; everyone's got their coat on and is heading out the door. Sorry Toyota.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
I would rock it.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Race Director

Now is the Sequoia bigger than the Land Cruiser or are they same size? How many SUV's does Toyota have?

Let's see Rav4, 4Runner, FJCruiser, Land Cruiser, and Sequoia. That's a lot of SUV's, sure beats Honda, who only has 3 SUV's, Pilot, CR-V, and Element.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Now is the Sequoia bigger than the Land Cruiser or are they same size? How many SUV's does Toyota have?

Let's see Rav4, 4Runner, FJCruiser, Land Cruiser, and Sequoia. That's a lot of SUV's, sure beats Honda, who only has 3 SUV's, Pilot, CR-V, and Element.
They have too damn many, IMO. You forgot the Highlander. So, it's a total of six; the Rav4, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, and Sequoia.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i wouldn't buy one, but i like it.

however, i'm not really feeling the "sequoia" label on the chrome strip in the rear, and the way that the center console is partitioned looks weird to me.

other than that, i think it looks nice, and i think toyota has another seller.

as for a household of 7, i know many families that live with a set of grandparents. and those families are always looking for a big suv or a van.

kind of reminds me one of those huge, chunky dogs.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Sequoia News