BMW: 3-Series News

Old 09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Impressive!!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
if you think a stock 335 sedan/coupe isnt fast enough....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166892

an ECU Tuning will give you 70WHP!... if it dynoed at 287 rwhp stock + 70 = 357 RWHP just from ECU.....
Old 09-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
jdmhondaswap/allmotoronly, post in the M3 thread if your going to talk about the M3... jeeze...

I banned you once, and I'll ban you again. I'm only allowing you on the site to sell your 6spd, so watch your step...
Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 PM
whut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
i think the 330's/335 sedans are hot. for me, an MT is a must though.
The standard tranny is 6MT with 6AT Steptronic as an added cost option. If my test drive was any indicator, most "average" drivers and quite a few enthusiasts will be very impressed with the Steptronic. BMW did a hell of a job improving the programming and shift response in all modes. My TL's automatic doesn't really compare, particularly in sport shift mode.

I'd still probably opt for the manual (less stuff to break), but the performance advantage between the two is now almost nonexistent.

As already noted, there are some great 335i tuning threads on bimmerfest, bimmerforums, and e90post.com. It looks like 400 crank horsepower is going to be no big trick.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmhondaswap
heres another... notice the coupe headlights, but look closely behind the door handle... there is another door handle behind it. Last time I checked, the M3 is a 2 door.

this one is obviously fake.

so I guess this is a 335 sedan with a M3 front end, hood, and front quarter panels with the vent.
Who cares, I'll still take it even if it's just a body kit and wheels!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 AM
whut

Updated tuning thread for the 335i coupe:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167540

It's going to be way too easy to get stoopid with this car...
Old 09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
yeah but i dont know if i would want to start chipping a brand new 335... i dont know if i would want to deal with the repair costs if something goes wrong with the engine and they deny warrenty work due to a chip...

also Shiv at Vishnu has done some amazing work with his EVO's, i was surprised to see he is one of the first tuners jumping on this market... where is Dinan? they have anything yet? I know that the XEDE he uses on the EVO is a piggy back, so if you want you could remove it for service, but that would still be a pain. He said he is using a modified XEDE on the 335...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:45 AM
whut

Originally Posted by savage
yeah but i dont know if i would want to start chipping a brand new 335... i dont know if i would want to deal with the repair costs if something goes wrong with the engine and they deny warrenty work due to a chip...

also Shiv at Vishnu has done some amazing work with his EVO's, i was surprised to see he is one of the first tuners jumping on this market... where is Dinan? they have anything yet? I know that the XEDE he uses on the EVO is a piggy back, so if you want you could remove it for service, but that would still be a pain. He said he is using a modified XEDE on the 335...
I'm not sure I'd be modding right off to bat either. But when the warranty runs out all bets are off.

As far as Dinan goes, I think their official line is that they don't talk about products in development. You can be 100% sure that they're developing warranty-friendly power packages even as we speak, and 100% sure that they'll make you pay dearly for that peace of mind...
Old 09-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Post Debut in 2008...?

From Leftlanenews...

BMW's next-generation M3 coupe won't arrive for over 12 months, according to Australia's Drive. BMW M boss Ulrich Bruhnke reportedly told the magazine the M3 will appear at the Frankfurt motor show in September 2007. "It will be there definitely," Bruhnke said. "The Frankfurt International motor show is so important [to BMW] we must show it there." According to the report, the car will go on sale in early 2008.

The next-generation M3 — based on the new 3-Series coupe — will feature a new naturally aspirated V8 engine with well over 400 horsepower couple to a seven-speed SMG transmission. Bruhnke wouldn't say much more about the car, but he said "you will know more before the auto show." Many enthusiasts had hoped the car would show up at the Paris Motor Show this week. There is some speculation a "concept" version might be shown in the next few months.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
October 1, 2006
Behind the Wheel | 2007 BMW 328i and 335i
A Lot More Firepower for BMW’s 6-Shooter

By JERRY GARRETT

IT has been nearly 30 years since two debuts, of an engine and a car, ushered in the modern era of BMW. At the 1977 Frankfurt Motor Show, the company displayed a new version of its highly respected in-line 6-cylinder engine. That was also the year when BMW began importing its 3 Series coupe to America.

At that point, the first 3 Series car, the 320, had been on sale in Europe for nearly two years; it was a handsome replacement for the boxy 2002, the original Ultimate Driving Machine. But while the 320 had a come-hither price of less than $9,000 — almost unimaginable in today’s world of six-figure performance cars — it had come only a 4-cylinder engine.

The new 6 changed that, though only for Europeans. It would be seven more years before BMW would entrust Americans with the smooth-running, more powerful engine.

The 320 became a legendary success, igniting sales and helping to transform the Bavarian automaker from a niche brand to a respected mass-market player. But in 1984, BMW replaced the beloved 320 with two new derivatives: the 318i, perhaps the crummiest Bimmer ever, a gutless wunderkind that cost twice as much as the 320, and an even pricier 6-cylinder upgrade.

Buyers proved willing to pay dearly for straight 6’s, and over the next 20 years they did so in ever higher numbers. In the same period, the basic engine architecture and output changed relatively little.

For 2007, BMW has brought out new fifth-generation coupes, the BMW 328i and 335i, cheering enthusiasts who haven’t seen a new two-door 3 Series since 1999. Both cars have new 3-liter in-line engines, which BMW insists are its most sophisticated 6’s yet.

But as BMW celebrates the pearl anniversary of its 6-cylinder 3 Series (in case you’re thinking of sending a gift), I find myself wondering, “How much longer can this go on?” The in-line 6 has, arguably, come to define this car. But insomuch as horsepower expectations escalate from year to year, where else can BMW go with its 6-shooter? From a development standpoint, will they still be viable power plants seven or eight years from now, when the sixth-generation 3 Series arrives?

Never suggest to anyone at BMW that a V-6, now the power plant of choice for most competitors, might be a better alternative; that’s as heretical as suggesting that sauerkraut is too sour, that wiener schnitzel ought to include wieners or that iDrive controls were a blunder.

BMW doesn’t easily change course. The basic layout of six cylinders in a row produces a velvet-smooth, almost vibration-free supply of power. But V-6’s, while less smooth, have often been coaxed into generating more horsepower and torque — outrageous amounts, in fact, if they are turbocharged to force in more air for combustion.

To get more power from in-line 6’s, BMW has made them rev ever higher, and increased their displacement. As size grows, however, fuel efficiency declines.

For its 2007 models, and to one-up its competitors in the horsepower wars, BMW had to adjust its conservative corporate mindset and reconsider its decades-old stance against turbocharging. BMW always believed the tradeoff for turbocharging would be searing-hot operating temperatures, poorer fuel economy and unacceptable throttle lag while the turbos spooled up.

But technology advances have changed the game. The latest turbochargers can work more precisely with direct fuel injection, yielding a broader power band and unexpectedly better mileage.

The new 335i’s 3-liter engine has twin Mitsubishi turbochargers and is rated at 300 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. The outgoing M3 supercar, with its larger 3.2-liter, 333-horsepower 6, can barely outrun it. Car and Driver magazine reports that the 335i’s 0-to-60 m.p.h. time of 4.9 seconds is just 0.1 second slower than the current M3, which costs at least $7,000 more.

The 335i, however, consumes far less fuel than the M3; the new coupe carries a government rating of 20 miles a gallon in town, 29 on the highway, compared with the M3’s 16/23.

The only lag I felt was around 1,500 r.p.m., when I tried to leave cellphone yakkers and other slowpokes behind. The six-speed manual transmission seemed to have more gears than it needed; usually, when I wanted to do something in a hurry, I wasn’t anywhere near the right gear. I actually preferred the automatic, which can pick the proper gear faster than mortal man.

I also preferred driving the nonturbocharged 3-liter engine in the 328i, which delivers better economy (21/29 m.p.g.) and is faultlessly direct in its throttle response. The 328i’s 230-horse engine has 46 more horses than the 2.5-liter engine it replaces.

For now at least, the 3 Series sedans — new for the 2006 model year — retain different engines from the coupes, though the 335i’s turbo 6 may become an option on the sedan next year. A convertible model (with a retracting hardtop) will be introduced in December at the Los Angeles auto show; BMW convertibles have traditionally shared their engines with the coupes. The rollout will continue next year with a new M3 coupe.

Externally, the coupes share family resemblances with the sedans, of course, though BMW says it made a serious effort to differentiate them. Put coupe and sedan photos side by side and try to spot the differences; no points are given for noting that the coupe has two fewer doors.

The coupe is roughly two inches longer and sits nearly two inches lower than the sedan, although each rides on the same chassis. Handling characteristics feel similar. An optional sport package for the 335i nicely fills the fender wells with 18-inch Bridgestone Potenza tires on alloy wheels. Even with the firm sport suspension and the run-flat Bridgestones, the 335i’s ride remains compliant enough to avoid the M3’s denture-rattling harshness. Large brakes (13.7 inches in front, 13.2 inches in the rear) are good for 160-foot stops from 70 miles an hour.

To compensate for the heavier twin-turbo, the 335i went on a diet, with slimmed down body panels and plastic front fenders.

Fortunately, the driving experience loses nothing in this painstaking redesign; handling is still crisp, precise and rewarding. Above 75 m.p.h., the optional active-steering system provides better on-center feel — a worthwhile feature in West Texas, where the speed limit was recently raised to 80 m.p.h.

The driving position is well suited to high-performance driving, but the seats were as hard as Adirondack chairs. I much prefer the cushy seats in the BMW 5 Series.

As usual, the indecipherable instrument panel is a black forest of buttons, and the annoying iDrive controller has migrated like a virus to this platform. (Fortunately, iDrive comes only with the optional navigation system.) So layer upon layer of redundant switches, dials and toggles have been added to compensate for the system’s shortcomings. (Wasn’t eliminating switches the reason iDrive was developed?)

During this test, I did peruse the 244-page owner’s manual to unlock some of iDrive’s mysteries. It does have some useful features, if you can twist, click and beat on it accurately enough to navigate its labyrinth of menus — while driving 80 m.p.h. (recommended in West Texas only) and balancing a scalding-hot latte.

That brings me to the twin-turbo cup holders. These engineering marvels boing-boing out of the dashboard on either side of the glove box — often when you don’t want them to.

They will hold the aforementioned latte, though not a 44-ounce Super Big Gulp. (Hello again, West Texas!) While deployed, the cup holders will also remove the kneecaps of inattentive front-seat passengers as they enter or exit the vehicle.

There is no need to discuss rear seat passengers, because there are unlikely to be very many. Any adult consenting to climb back there risks being speared by the odd seat belt presenter arms that stick out to make the front belts easier to find. Only two legroom-challenged rear seating positions exist.

These are mere nitpicks, if you will, about what is still the world’s quintessential sport coupe. Inarguably, it’s the best 3 Series coupe yet. What is arguable is whether you will be happy with the ever-escalating price. BMW says the new coupes cost less than the cars they replace, when comparably equipped. Technically that’s true if you count new and possibly unwanted features like the power moon roof, but the bottom line is that the price of admission has ballooned to $35,995 for the 328i and $41,295 for the 335i. A loaded 335i can easily top $52,000.

If that price doesn’t scare you, you may want to wait for the new M3 due out next year, which will reportedly make 400 horsepower. But, get this: the latest version of that car, hitherto the ultimate 6-cylinder driving machine, will be powered by, yes, a V-8.

INSIDE TRACK: An unbearable lightness of quintessence.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

A few interesting tidbits about the engine

TECH HIGHLIGHT: TWIN-TURBO SIX

BMW’s first U.S.-market gasoline turbo, a 3.0-liter blown six-cylinder, has two small IHI turbochargers that each pressurize three cylinders with a maximum of about nine psi of boost. Direct fuel injection, a first for a BMW gasoline turbo engine, helps to cool the intake charge and allows a high 10.5:1 compression ratio. The block is made from aluminum, not magnesium and aluminum as used in BMW’s naturally aspirated straight-sixes. Horsepower is 300 at 5600 rpm, and the peak torque of 300 pound-feet arrives at just 1400 rpm and hangs on until 5000 revs. We’ve driven the 335i, and if there’s any turbo lag, it’s infinitesimal.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
For now at least, the 3 Series sedans — new for the 2006 model year — retain different engines from the coupes, though the 335i’s turbo 6 may become an option on the sedan next year
How can a publication be so out of touch with reality - people are already driving 3 series sedans with the new drivetrain.

I ignored everything after that sentence.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Is that coupe picture real?......
I think I'd rather have sedan than coupe for this one......it looks long like Solara or Accord coupe

So which one will you guys buy
if M3 is like 56K drive out
335i is like 46K drive out........

tough choice huh
Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

335....10k on mods can do a lot...and better gas mileage as well
Old 10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
But with all these mods to the 335i does it maintain its excellent MPG?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doom878
But with all these mods to the 335i does it maintain its excellent MPG?
well.. i would not necessarily put 10k worth of mods...i would put mayb 5k in mods and pocket the rest..im pretty sure it'll still manage good gas mileage
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
I saw a new loaded white 3-series sedan the other day and it looked HOT!!!!! the first time I have ever really liked the new design.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theslik1
Updated tuning thread for the 335i coupe:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167540

It's going to be way too easy to get stoopid with this car...
This thing just keeps sounding better and better. Props to BMW - they hit a homerun with this one.

As a sidenote: Does anyone think that the new V8 in the M3 will be able to produce this much torque? Seems like a stock 335i would be able to make more torque low down than the upcoming V8 in the new M3.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Suzuka Master

To me it seems like the engine is putting out closer to 350 hp. I'm surprised to read that Mitsubishi made the turbos.

I expect the M3 to also be underrated, but the turbo engine should be more mod friendly.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:03 PM
whut

Originally Posted by vishnus11
This thing just keeps sounding better and better. Props to BMW - they hit a homerun with this one.

As a sidenote: Does anyone think that the new V8 in the M3 will be able to produce this much torque? Seems like a stock 335i would be able to make more torque low down than the upcoming V8 in the new M3.
I also think BMW did an ace job. Considering all the good press for the 335, I'd be curious to see 335 vs. 328 sales figures in a few months to see what percentage of buyers opt for the power upgrade.

Sidenote musings: The M3 could have more peak torque than the 335 but based on M5 output it won't be a muscle-car V8 twist-monster. The 500 hp M5 V10 puts down only *cough cough* 383 ft-lbs, so the M3 might end up very close to the 335. However, I think the stock 335 is going to significantly beat the peakier M3 in "area under the curve", and it'll only get better with tuning. The torque curve looks more like a diesel than a gas engine.

As always, this is pure conjecture. It'll be interesting to see how BMW differentiates the M3 from the 335 in power delivery; better handling should be more of a given with the tighter/lighter package and LSD.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
I'm surprised to read that Mitsubishi made the turbos.
I read that the turbo in the RDX was also from them, or rather, one of their subsidiaries. But it seems like Mitsu's got the know how on turbos.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
But it seems like Mitsu's got the know how on turbos.

The only thing I like about Mitsubishi is their turbo engines.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Race Director

Wow, the 335 is very fast!

Why can't any other German car company match BMW? Where are you Mercedes and Audi?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
well.. i would not necessarily put 10k worth of mods...i would put mayb 5k in mods and pocket the rest..im pretty sure it'll still manage good gas mileage
Apparently stock when getting flogged gets bad mpg. C&D only got 18mpg on their review.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

u get bad gas mileage with any car if u flog it....getting flogged and still managing 18mpg isn't that bad for such a car.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by theslik1
As always, this is pure conjecture. It'll be interesting to see how BMW differentiates the M3 from the 335 in power delivery; better handling should be more of a given with the tighter/lighter package and LSD.
i know everyone has said a V8 based on the M5, but isnt the M5 going to jump to 550hp next year or something... meaning the M3 could have something closer to 450hp...

also, dont they have a 4.4L V8 Turbo in the works for the 5 series? pop that bad boy in a M3 and try comparing it with a 335i
Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
u get bad gas mileage with any car if u flog it....getting flogged and still managing 18mpg isn't that bad for such a car.
That's true but didn't cars with similar hwy 30mpg like the current Accord still get in the 20's? I guess that torque sucks up some more gas. And yeah 18 isn't bad at all. That's what I average in my 6th gen Accord in traffic.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Wow, the 335 is very fast!

Why can't any other German car company match BMW? Where are you Mercedes and Audi?
Mercedes has their 550 engines (up from 500), that was their upgrade. Monstrous amounts of tq
Old 10-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Post Cabrio spy pics...

Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Spied No More: 2007 BMW 3-Series Convertible - - Source: The Car Connection

We've shown you too many 3-Series Convertible spy shots to count - and now, we can show you the real thing. BMW on Monday released the first official glimpse of the 325i Convertible and 335i Convertible, the new pair of hardtop convertibles it will put on sale in theU.S. next year after showing the cars at January's Detroit auto show. The fourth-generation 3-Series Convertible is the company's first hardtop convertible; the three-piece assembly opens and closes in about 22 seconds, BMW promises. With better visibility and a reasonable trunk still left behind, the Convertible promises practicality to go with great performance from either the 218-hp 325i or the twin-turbo 300-hp 335i, which should accelerate to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds (the 325i does it in 7.6 seconds). A six-speed manual is standard on both, while a six-speed paddle-shifted automatic is optional. A diesel version and a four-cylinder Convertible will be offered for other markets.
Pic below....
Old 10-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

The new BMW 3 Series Convertible

-Innovative folding hard-top roof
-World’s first Sun-Reflective leather upholstery
-All-new petrol engines with High Precision Direct Injection
-World’s first convertible car with through-load luggage storage

Spring 2007 marks the introduction of BMW’s new 3 Series Convertible. Available initially in 325i and 335i guises, but followed closely by smaller engined variants and diesel-powered models, BMW’s new open-top will deliver the ultimate in performance and refinement thanks to a number of innovations. Featuring the first electronically operated folding hard-top roof offered by BMW, the world’s first car to be offered with SunReflective seat cooling leather and a brace of all-new powerplants, the 3 Series Convertible is set to remain the segment leader.

Model
Price OTR
Power
hp
Torque Nm
Zero – 62mph seconds
0 - 62
Top speed mph
Combined
mpg

BMW 325i Convertible
£33,030

BMW 335i Convertible
£37,895
155*

* Electronically limited

The fourth generation of BMW’s open-top four-seater heralds a new chapter in the history of the BMW Convertible. While the existing triple-layered fabric roofs currently showcased in the 6 Series Convertible and the Z4 Roadster are unsurpassed in heat and noise insulation, the designers of the new 3 Series Convertible decided to raise the bar again. The model now comes with a three-piece electronically-operated retractable hard-top – a first for BMW.

Stowed or raised in approximately 22 seconds, the new roof has been introduced, not only for added security, but also for better visibility and a greater feeling of space and light for occupants. Because the roof features a larger rear glass windscreen and side windows, visibility has improved by 38 per cent compared to the outgoing 3 Series Convertible.

The unique way in which the roof folds also maximises available boot space. With the roof up 350 litres of storage capacity beckons while with the roof down, the boot can still accommodate up to 210 litres of luggage. In another world first, the rear seat backrests of a 3 Series Convertible can also be folded flat to provide additional storage space. As an option, a through loading system with transport bag can also be specified to allow for longer or bulkier items to be accommodated and it can still be used when the folding metal roof is lowered. For added practicality, a stowed roof can be electronically raised out of the boot area to allow for longer items such as golf clubs to be secured before being folded away again.

SunReflective Technology
The new BMW 3 Series Convertible can also be specified with the world’s first Sun-Reflective Technology leather upholstery. Now owners of BMW’s latest four-seat sun-trap can enjoy the warm weather and leave the roof down for prolonged periods without singeing themselves on the seats or armrests. Special pigments embedded into the leather help reflect infra-red radiation ensuring treated areas that are exposed to sunlight for a prolonged period can remain up to 20 degrees cooler compared to untreated leather.

New High-Precision Direct Injection engines
BMW is renowned for producing some of the most innovative powerplants and the new 3 Series Convertible features a range of engines that set them apart from the competition. A choice of two petrol engines, both with new High-Precision Direct Injection technology, offer the best blend of performance and economy. Further engine variants will follow during the model’s life cycle.

The new High-Precision Direct Injection system on the BMW 3 Series Convertible uses centrally-mounted piezo crystal injectors spraying atomised fuel vapour directly into the combustion chamber. Combined with Bi-VANOS variable valve technology the system delivers the most efficient burn of fuel for maximum power and parsimonious economy.
The fruits of this technology are highlighted by the impressive performance figures posted by all of the petrol-powered 3 Series Convertibles. The 325i Convertible with its all-new 218hp six-cylinder engine develops 270Nm of torque. The open-topped 325i covers the 62mph sprint in 7.6 seconds and can attain a top speed of 152mph. However, it is still capable of a combined consumption figure of 35.8mpg.

Representing the flagship of the range is the 335i Convertible with its twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre engine. Using an aluminium cylinder block rather than the magnesium alloy unit from the 325i Convertible, but with the added benefit of lag-free forced induction, the 335i posts a zero to 62mph time of 5.8 seconds. The 306hp engine, higher than the output of the E36 BMW M3, has been restricted to a 155mph top speed. Fuel consumption on the combined cycle is 28.5mpg. Peak torque of 400Nm from just 1,300rpm through to 5,000rpm gives the driver a real surge of effortless power, acceleration and flexibility.

Both the 325i Convertible and the 335i Convertible come as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox. A new six-speed automatic transmission featuring steering wheel-mounted gearshift paddles first shown on the 3 Series Coupé can also be specified.

Future powerplants to be offered
Following the introduction of the 325i Convertible and the 335i Convertible, three further engines will be introduced. The 320i Convertible with its all-new 170hp four-cylinder engine will accelerate from zero to 62mph in 9.2 seconds before going on to a top speed of 136mph, yet still manages 42.2mpg on the combined cycle.

The 3.0-litre straight-six powering the 330i Convertible is the world’s lightest production six-cylinder engine and is also one of the highest performing. The 2,996cc 272hp unit is capable of propelling the 330i Convertible from zero to 62mph in 6.7 seconds and is electronically limited to 155mph. The car returns an excellent fuel consumption figure of 34.9mpg on the combined cycle.

For those who prefer the enhanced economy of a diesel engine without wishing to lose any on-road performance the 231hp 330d Convertible is also offered. With a torque curve flatter than a 14th Century map of the world, the 500Nm peak output of the second-generation common rail engined 330d Convertible offers smooth and swift motoring. Zero to 62mph is dispatched in 7.1 seconds and top speed is 152mph. The 330d Convertible posts a combined consumption figure of 40.9mpg.

The BMW 3 Series Convertible will make its debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on 7 January, 2007. It will go on sale in the UK in March, 2007.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
I hate to say it, but I like that car.

And what's with the fuel economy numbers? Is direct injection really THAT effective?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:00 AM
whut

Originally Posted by shrykhar
I hate to say it, but I like that car.

And what's with the fuel economy numbers? Is direct injection really THAT effective?
It allows BMW to run leaner fuel maps for the 335i. Stock turbo engines are typically tuned to err on the rich side for safety (avoiding detonation), with aftermarket tuners having to lean things out to get more power. However, BMW maps the 335i engine so aggressively lean that one tuner discovered you have to add fuel in the midrange to get more power.

DI has other benefits such as allowing BMW to run a high 10.5:1 compression ratio due to the cooling effect of directly-injected fuel.

If you think the 335i is interesting, read the reviews for the 335d (twin-turbo straight six diesel). They're saying it's a better car then the 335i, with significantly better fuel efficiency.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
The car is actually quite small in reality. Somehow that doesn't come across in these images. In this picture it looks as if they must have chosen a very small person for the pic. The headrest looks bigger than his head.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HOT. whats the pricing on the cabrio?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
What's with everyone claiming 306HP? Did Lexus invent some magic number with the IS350? Marketeers.

I assume in the US the lower end cabrio will be the 328 not the 325 mentioned here. And unlike the 325 engine's DI I thought the 328 was still FI.

The mileage figures mentioned here are for imperial gallons - so that 28.5mpg figure quoted there will be more like 23-24 in the US.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
The mileage figures mentioned here are for imperial gallons - so that 28.5mpg figure quoted there will be more like 23-24 in the US.
This is for the coupe, but:

328i - 20/29 and 21/30
335i - 19/29 and 20/29
Old 10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2GRFwkClk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecswMA-1GiY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2u_4UD6RY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW: 3-Series News