BMW: 3-Series News

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 10:35 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i finally saw a couple of new 3-series on the road today. they look a lot better in person than in pix. more masculine, classy yet still sporty. but i still havent seen the interior.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
The 3 series is still selling the same 8-10K/ mo regrardless of what model is being introduced. There might be slight one-two month dips but whatever sales the CTS or G35 or IS is stealling, few of those are coming out of the 3 series share of the segment. I bet when the IS comes out in October, the biggest dip in sales will be for the TL not the 3 series.
Think the 3 manages to keep a certain number of sales due to variety of models- m3 , awd 3, coupe 3, 325, 330, wagon 3, etc. Head to head, 330i vs the rest of the 30k segment shows the car isn't head of the class as far as winning over customers- meanwhile other brands are showing large sales of their luxury sedan, we'll see if the new 3 can break through.

All 12 3-series models made up 6,994 sales for april. The 330i sedan sold 820 units. The cts sedan sold 6,182, almost more than the entire 3 lineup. Think all this new competition is definately having an effect on BMW, to a lesser extent Japanese luxury brands are effected because they have a high content/value factor.

The g35 coupe broke into another segment where BMW 3 had no competition. Now there will be the lexus coupe which I think will pick up in sales pretty quick just due to the fact its a great looking car.

The luxury segment is getting to the point where any car can drop from the top just as quick as it got there due to all the great competition.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Safety Car

Tailights look pretty bland.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MSZ
US, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Middle East and in July this year: South Korea.

And I didn't say 3-series isn't the class leader, but G35/V35 Skyline has been highly successful in the past 3 years.
lmao at those countries, sounds like the coalition of forces that Bush got.....

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Class leading in what way? The US is a HUGE market if not the largest market for a lot of brands, so when a brand doesn't do well here, it hurts at that brands homeland. The Caddy CTS, let alone the G35 put such a hurting on the 330i sales in the US, it would be silly to even argue.
You cannot seriously argue the 3 is class leading. EVERY car maker goes after the 3 or states they went after the 3. For years it was #1 and still is considered the sports sedan to have. The CTS and G35 has done nothing, 3 sales are still very strong even with a what, 7 year old design? The CTS and G35 has helped their brands but not hurt BMW at all.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Racer

The 3 series is still selling the same 8-10K/ mo regrardless of what model is being introduced. There might be slight one-two month dips but whatever sales the CTS or G35 or IS is stealling, few of those are coming out of the 3 series share of the segment. I bet when the IS comes out in October, the biggest dip in sales will be for the TL not the 3 series.
THANK YOU.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
lmao at those countries, sounds like the coalition of forces that Bush got.....

You cannot seriously argue the 3 is class leading. EVERY car maker goes after the 3 or states they went after the 3. For years it was #1 and still is considered the sports sedan to have. The CTS and G35 has done nothing, 3 sales are still very strong even with a what, 7 year old design? The CTS and G35 has helped their brands but not hurt BMW at all.
Think ur out of your mind if you think car companies go after a brand that sells 800 units of a car. Just cause ur still caught up in this ultimate driving machine marketing doesn't mean everyone else is. 3 series sales are as strong as a losing brand can be.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

2nd the Acura TSX has passed by the 325i in sales which accounts for the majority of 3 series sales. For a completely new luxury vehicle to pass by the "best" on the first try is almost amazing, or in reality, about time.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:09 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
2nd the Acura TSX has passed by the 325i in sales which accounts for the majority of 3 series sales. For a completely new luxury vehicle to pass by the "best" on the first try is almost amazing, or in reality, about time.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
But the sales have not fallen with the 325 - it's just that they have not grown to match some of the competition. The TL (which in price is closer to the 325 than the TSX) sells twice as much as the TSX. Like I said, BMW will continue to sell the 8-10K a month - I didn't say it won't get passed in sales by others (TSX+TL already has). Some of the extra sales the others are getting are coming from outside the segment or others in the segment - not out of BMWs share.

I can predict that the IS250 will win some magazine comparos vs. the 325 (as will the IS350 vs. the 330) but it still won't be regarded as the "better" car - well at least not for foreseable future.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Folks the 3-series segment (whatver you wonna call it) is going through a transition currently. The 3 was the king in the USA in that segment because it was pretty much on its own. During the past 5 years, not only newcomers entered, but also exisiting competition tuned and designed their cars to more closley match the characteristics of the 3 because it simply sold better than everyone.

What I am trying to say is, the fact that we are going through a huge transition in that particular segment, makes it very difficult to discuss who won and who lost and who is winning or losing. The sure thing is that 5 years from now, the segment will look nothing like it did 5 years ago and look mostly different than it does now.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Instructor

All 12 3-series models made up 6,994 sales for april. The 330i sedan sold 820 units. The cts sedan sold 6,182, almost more than the entire 3 lineup. Think all this new competition is definately having an effect on BMW.
Hardly. Use just a little bit of common sense for once, k? Even idiots like bush can deduce the 3 is going to have low numbers a month before the new model is rolled out: "This decrease was due primarily to the successful build-out of the 2005 3 Series sedans, in preparation for the launch of its successor, resulting in lower inventory of these high volume models."

Now there will be the lexus coupe which I think will pick up in sales pretty quick just due to the fact its a great looking car.
Do yourself a favor and look up the word 'fact'. Lexus has never made anything remotely great looking (if you look up the word, you'll know whether that's a fact or opinion).

Again, with such low inventory, a lot of cars passed the 325, not just the acura accord. But sit pretty and wait til the E90 is fully stocked and watch how many fly off the lots.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Race Director

If I didn't know better, the above sounds just like something gilbo would say.....
Old 05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I didn't know better, the above sounds just like something gilbo would say.....

my guess is that gilbo is also an ass

Old 05-24-2005, 08:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by 95gt
my guess is that gilbo is also an ass

But Gilbo would never say anything negative about Lexus. I'm not sure what he loves more, Lexus or BMW.

Anyway, saw a new 3 yesterday. All I can say Looks far better on the road than it does in pics.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by dom

But Gilbo would never say anything negative about Lexus. I'm not sure what he loves more, Lexus or BMW.

Anyway, saw a new 3 yesterday. All I can say Looks far better on the road than it does in pics.
I saw 3 E90s last week. I can't say I like the styling but it looks better than the pics.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Folks the 3-series segment (whatver you wonna call it) is going through a transition currently. The 3 was the king in the USA in that segment because it was pretty much on its own. During the past 5 years, not only newcomers entered, but also exisiting competition tuned and designed their cars to more closley match the characteristics of the 3 because it simply sold better than everyone.

What I am trying to say is, the fact that we are going through a huge transition in that particular segment, makes it very difficult to discuss who won and who lost and who is winning or losing. The sure thing is that 5 years from now, the segment will look nothing like it did 5 years ago and look mostly different than it does now.
I would be more explicit than that, I think the 3-series is losing some mind-share bit by bit at the expense of others. For a long time it was either 3-series or Audi A4 if you wanted something less sporty but also German in the same size.

Now we got lot of choices each with their own winning characteristics. You can bet that the 3-series is not really the dream car for as many people now, even though many people still buy it as a status symbol. Only a matter of time before some other cars also become status symbols based on their growing reputation.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Racer

Look, the TSX is a nice fun car but its amazing some of you SWEAR its 3 competiton. So lets see
1. In Europe, its an Accord.
2. In Europe, it is NOT 3 series competiton. There has never been a comparison against the 3.
3. In America, the 3 is I-6 and RWD. The TSX is I-4 and FWD.
4. In America, the TSX has NEVER been in a comparision against the 3 in magazines. The TL is what is in comparisons against the 3.
5. The TSX has been pitted against SAAB, the I-4 C-class and the Suburu Legacy.

And OF COURSE it will sell more, the 325 production was cut back (as someone stated) and the TSX is THOUSANDS cheaper.

The TSX is a 27k car. The new E90 325 is a 31k car TO START. Of course the TSX is loaded, the BMW is barren (which does show the huge "VALUE" the TSX offers).

The 3 never really lost sales. The IS lost tons of sales and it looks Lexus is dead serious this time around. The C-class lost sales as did SAAB and others.

And I do agree, for the first time that I CAN remember (and other guys like Gavrlil) BMW no longer has a stranglehold as to IMAGE and WINS in magazine comparos. I think all the new cars are pretty damn ugly.

And sales STILL continue to soar. DOn't underestimate BRAND and PRESTIGE. Its what drives a lot of the "LUXURY" segment.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Race Director

Look, the TSX is a nice fun car but its amazing some of you SWEAR its 3 competiton. So lets see
2. In Europe, it is NOT 3 series competiton. There has never been a comparison against the 3.
4. In America, the TSX has NEVER been in a comparision against the 3 in magazines. The TL is what is in comparisons against the 3.
You're wrong on #2. Unlike the US, the lesser models of 3 series (320) and Accord Executive are in the same price range. Both are 4 cyl models.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
You're wrong on #2. Unlike the US, the lesser models of 3 series (320) and Accord Executive are in the same price range. Both are 4 cyl models.
he is wrong on #4 also if memory serves correctly. it went up against the is300 and the 325
Old 05-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Instructor

Yes it has. Automobile compared them and others (with the maxima right where it belongs-dead last) last year sometime.

The TSX is a 27k car. The new E90 325 is a 31k car TO START. Of course the TSX is loaded, the BMW is barren (which does show the huge "VALUE" the TSX offers).
The 3 is hardly barren, but since it doesnt start life as an Accord, it doesnt have the advantage of clearance-rack pricing.

And sales STILL continue to soar. DOn't underestimate BRAND and PRESTIGE. Its what drives a lot of the "LUXURY" segment.
Of course, and sales are only going to get better, as long as lexus remains staid and boring isolation chambers on wheels, infiniiti remains barely-refined, soulless and awkward-looking, and Acura remains conservative and thinly-disguised Hondas.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:20 AM
MSZ
Lola

And OF COURSE it will sell more, the 325 production was cut back (as someone stated) and the TSX is THOUSANDS cheaper.

The 3 never really lost sales. The IS lost tons of sales and it looks Lexus is dead serious this time around. The C-class lost sales as did SAAB and others.

And I do agree, for the first time that I CAN remember (and other guys like Gavrlil) BMW no longer has a stranglehold as to IMAGE and WINS in magazine comparos. I think all the new cars are pretty damn ugly.

I bet you have never read ANY European magazines. European Accord is a DIRECT competitor of the German entry luxury sedans. And it beats them badly in almost all departments(in the same price range i-4 models)
Old 05-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
I bet you have never read ANY European magazines. European Accord is a DIRECT competitor of the German entry luxury sedans. And it beats them badly in almost all departments(in the same price range i-4 models)

Dunno about that, them germans love their own cars. I never seen a euro mag where the TSX came on top.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

From England.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=Volvo+S60R

I'm not here to argue that the TSX is better than the 3 or any other car for that matter but its obviously highly underated in these parts.

Better lap times than an S60R.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I eat my own words
Old 05-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by machination
... infiniiti remains barely-refined, soulless and awkward-looking, and Acura remains conservative and thinly-disguised Hondas.
Are you serious? Have you been in the new M, or driven one lately? Won't argue on the Acura, because the new RL's greenhouse and glass is just line our Accords, and the headlamps are extremely close to the Odyssey's.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I disagree with that.

In Europe the 3 is not perceived as much of a..."premium" product as it is in the USA. Mostly because of the dinky engines offered there. Most 3s there are either 318s or 320s. So the Accord can absolutely be compared with the 3 in Europe. It will lose, but it (the Accord) is more relevant (with the 3) in Europe, than it is in the USA market.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Can you rephrase that? I am not sure what you mean.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
he is wrong on #4 also if memory serves correctly. it went up against the is300 and the 325
I am not sure of a comparo of a 3 against the TSX (although I would not be surprised to see the TSX against the 325i, but there has been a comparo between the Accord V6 Coupe vs the CLK320. That's not to say people will cross-shop the two, but a particular and very specific point was trying to be made by the article.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I disagree with that.

In Europe the 3 is not perceived as much of a..."premium" product as it is in the USA. Mostly because of the dinky engines offered there. Most 3s there are either 318s or 320s. So the Accord can absolutely be compared with the 3 in Europe. It will lose, but it (the Accord) is more relevant (with the 3) in Europe, than it is in the USA market.

Show me proof of a Accord (TSX) losing to a 318 or 320 in a comapro.

We have the 320 here in Canada and no way in hell it can possibly beat a TSX in a head to head. Handling maybe better but in every other aspect its no contest.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The 3 is hardly barren,

That's subjective. It's barren when compared to a TL's equippment without any options added (the 3 that is).

but since it doesnt start life as an Accord, it doesnt have the advantage of clearance-rack pricing.
It starts as an Accord for Europe. Where the Accord's market positioning is very different than what it is in the USA. The Accord is positioned as more of a premium product in Europe. Here as we all know, it's mainstream.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I am not sure of a comparo of a 3 against the TSX (although I would not be surprised to see the TSX against the 325i, but there has been a comparo between the Accord V6 Coupe vs the CLK320. That's not to say people will cross-shop the two, but a particular and very specific point was trying to be made by the article.

Automobile magazine tested several sport sedans in the summmer of 04. Included were the 325, 9-3 Aero, IS300, Maxima, A4, TSX, Mazda 6 and a few more that I can't remember. Performance wise the TSX didn't do all that well in acceleration but it won the test regardless.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom

We have the 320 here in Canada and no way in hell it can possibly beat a TSX in a head to head. Handling maybe better but in every other aspect its no contest.
Overall I am under the impression that the Euro Accord will mostly lose in a comparo with a comparably engined/priced 3er. If I am wrong, even more power to my argument.

Come to think of it...again...if the Accord loses it would lose by very very little.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Automobile magazine tested several sport sedans in the summmer of 04. Included were the 325, 9-3 Aero, IS300, Maxima, A4, TSX, Mazda 6 and a few more that I can't remember. Performance wise the TSX didn't do all that well in acceleration but it won the test regardless.
I believe it. Mags love the TSX overall. It must be a great offering. I have never driven one, but when sat inside, I was very impressed. I kept telling myself, "look what one can buy these days with $25K!!!"
Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
From England.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=Volvo+S60R

I'm not here to argue that the TSX is better than the 3 or any other car for that matter but its obviously highly underated in these parts.

Better lap times than an S60R.
Although impressive, this is a pretty unfair comparo when one looks at the prices and the power.

What we need to find are tests of the 2.0 Accord with the 320 or 318 3er. Let me look.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Although impressive, this is a pretty unfair comparo when one looks at the prices and the power.

What we need to find are tests of the 2.0 Accord with the 320 or 318 3er. Let me look.

Gav, how is that article unfair? Its comparing the TSX against much more expensive and much more powerful cars.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom

A little bit of proof here

The more time you spend with the Accord I-CDTi the more you appreciate Honda’s achievement. In the current Accord – a great handling, solid and very well finished motor car – the new engine finds a formidable partner. At £20200 for the fully loaded Executive model, the Accord is nearly as expensive as the BMW 320d, but there’s no denying its brand hasn’t the same kudos. It’s also beaten in outright performance terms by the BMW, but the Accord experience is sufficiently different and stronger in other areas to hold an appeal all of its own. Some things are worth waiting for.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Gav, how is that article unfair? Its comparing the TSX against much more expensive and much more powerful cars.
That's what I am saying. It's unfair because the Type S cant be compred with the S4. They are not in the same league.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

That's what I am saying. It's unfair because the Type S cant be compred with the S4. They are not in the same league.

Yes, yet the writers prefer the handling feel of the TSX. Thats gotta say something.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Yes, yet the writers prefer the handling feel of the TSX. Thats gotta say something.
No doubt. No article was show the TSX worse in all measures with the 3er or better in all measures than the 3er. The point is, which do they prefer overall when they compare.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Hmmm, Deisels. And the Accord is 20HP down. Like I said, handling wise not many cars can touch a BMW and the TSX is no exception. I'd like to see a Accord vs 320 or 318 head to head comparo.

The 320 with its 166HP Inline 6 starts at 35K here in Canada. Equipped like the TSX its rougly 5 to 8k more. Hardly a comparison IMO.

I'm wondering if Canada will continue to get the 320 with the new 3?

Quick Reply: BMW: 3-Series News