__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe this news....
Old 10-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
On their site now
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futur...ew3/images.htm

he new 3 delivers an even more thrilling drive with its improved technology and innovative engineering showcased in the new
255-horsepower 3.0 liter engine and the lighter and 25% stiffer body shell than previous models.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Lighter with more HP, cant argue with that. Hope that 255hp is underrated like most of their engines.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Interior looks pretty damn boring.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GREATER PERFORMANCE, GREATER SAFETY, GREATER COMFORT
THE NEW BMW 3 SERIES

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - October 26, 2004 … Sport sedan enthusiasts everywhere will soon have cause to celebrate an automotive landmark. Next spring the all-new BMW 3 Series will make its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show, followed by its North American debut at the New York Auto Show.
As with its predecessors, the fifth generation BMW 3 Series raises the sport sedan benchmark – decisively and significantly. Continuing to improve a concept that BMW pioneered more than forty years ago, the new 3 Series offers greater performance, safety and security as well as greater comfort and convenience.

Groundbreaking six-cylinder with light-weight magnesium crankcase
The new 3 Series will enter the U.S. market in summer of 2005 with a choice of two in-line 6-cylinder engines, continuing a 3 Series tradition. The all-new 3.0-liter unit in the 330i offers a significant increase in performance. It is rated at 255-horsepower (SAE), a 30-horsepower increase over its predecessor.

In BMW’s ongoing pursuit of weight reduction, this engine is the first in large-scale series production to use magnesium which, compared to aluminum, is 30 percent lighter. Magnesium is used in the crankcase, the crankshaft bearings and the cylinder head cover.

This engine is also the first six-cylinder to use BMW VALVETRONIC. With infinitely variable valve lift in place of the traditional throttle butterfly, this system improves both throttle response and fuel efficiency. Like previous BMW engines which have incorporated VALVETRONIC, the gains are impressive. In the case of the 330i, horsepower increases by 13%, while fuel consumption decreases by 12%. This unique technology works in tandem with BMW’s double-VANOS variable valve timing for both intake and exhaust camshafts. The new 330i will accelerate from 0 – 60 mph in approximately six seconds.

Six-speed transmissions on both models
Both models will be offered in the U.S. with a choice of a standard six-speed manual transmission or optional six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. The benefits of a six-speed manual in terms of acceleration, cruising comfort and fuel efficiency have been demonstrated in the previous 330i. These same benefits have also been proven on other BMWs which offer the new six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic. Those benefits will now be available to all 3 Series drivers.

Starting the engine at the touch of a button
The 3 Series is the latest BMW to feature the convenience of a start button. After firing up the engine at the touch of a button, all other functions operate seamlessly.

The standard for handling and agility is raised once again
Reflecting BMW’s rich heritage, the new BMW 3 Series continues some long standing traditions – engine mounted longitudinally up front, drive power to the rear wheels and near perfect 50:50 balance of weight over the front and rear wheels. These have contributed to the 3 Series well-earned reputation as the best handling sports sedan on the market.

Several enhancements will ensure that this new 3 Series lives up to its reputation. Like other BMWs, the new 3 Series gets a double-pivot front suspension for improved responsiveness. The newly developed suspension is made of aluminum to further improve responsiveness and comfort by reducing unsprung weight.

A new five-link rear suspension contributes to the improvement in handling and comfort. The new rear suspension is made of lightweight steel, which also contributes to the overall reduction of unsprung weight.

Active Steering: unique in this segment
The new 3 Series becomes the first car in its class to offer anything approaching the benefits of BMW’s unique Active Steering. This stand-alone option provides a more direct steering ratio at low speeds for greater maneuverability and a progressively less direct ratio as vehicle speed increases to improve high-speed stability. This solves the traditional trade-off between agility, stability and comfort with non-active steering. In the new 3 Series, BMW Active Steering has been enhanced to provide an additional active safety benefit. Whenever the driver applies the brakes hard on surfaces with varying frictional coefficients – such as intermittent mud, ice or snow – Active Steering will intervene to help stabilize the vehicle even more quickly and seamlessly.

Latest generation DSC offers additional benefits
BMW’s latest Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) incorporates new features which provide the driver with even more benefits. A new brake-drying feature can improve braking in wet weather, detected using the rain sensor and/or wiper activity, by gently rubbing the brake pads on the rotors to help keep the pad surface dry. A new Brake Standby feature can reduce braking response time by readying the brakes for application whenever the driver abruptly lifts off the accelerator pedal. By anticipating a sudden stop, Brake Standby can shorten stopping distances. The new Starting Assistant feature is designed to prevent rollback when starting off on a grade without having to use the brake pedal or handbrake.

All of these features will ensure that the BMW 3 Series will maintain its leadership, not only in handling and responsiveness, but in active safety as well.

The BMW 3 Series – the quintessential sport sedan
The design of the new 3 Series is at once bold, dynamic and elegant. Positioned right in the epicenter of BMW’s modern design spectrum, the 3 Series fits comfortably between the sportiness of the Z4 and the elegance of the 7 Series. Compared to the outgoing model, more generous exterior dimensions ensure even greater spaciousness and comfort for all passengers. At 178.0 inches, the length increases by 1.9 inches. The width at 71.5 inches increases by 3.1. Vehicle height is 55.9 inches, an increase of 0.24. The wheelbase is 1.4 inches longer at 108.7.

Body shell improvements: lighter, stiffer, safer
Not only is the body shell of the new 3 Series larger it is also designed for greater stiffness, leading to improved comfort and safety. A new joint and crossbar concept for the car’s load-bearing structure increases body stiffness by 25 percent without increasing the car’s weight, thanks to intelligent lightweight engineering through the use of more highly developed steel and molding technologies.

The safest 3 Series ever, particularly in side impacts
The new 3 Series is designed to achieve the best results in the very demanding EuroNCAP crash test. It is also one of the first cars in the world fully prepared for the demanding U.S. side impact standards, as well as the rear impact test.

The list of passive safety features includes intelligent front driver and passenger airbags, hip/thorax side airbags and the BMW Head Protection System in curtain form.

Proven technology for an extra measure of safety and security
Two-stage Adaptive Brakelights enlarge the brake light area in hard braking or whenever ABS is activated. This brighter warning can help following drivers to react more quickly. Runflat tires come standard. In the event of a puncture, the driver can continue for up to nearly three hours at speeds up to 50 mph, allowing him or her to get the tire repaired or replaced in a safe and secure area by skilled personnel. The new 3 Series will be available with optional Xenon Adaptive Headlights. The previous BMW 3 Series was the first vehicle to offer these lights, which turn slightly whenever the front wheels turn. Greater illumination around bends improves visibility, particularly on winding roads.

Interior: Modern and purposeful
The new interior reflects the modern ambience seen in other recent BMW designs. The interior is more spacious and more luxurious for drivers and passengers alike. The driver is also offered an environment that is designed to enhance the driving experience. As before, an onboard navigation system will be available. In the new 3 Series the system will include BMW’s iDrive control system for convenient operation.

Get in and go without a key
The optional Comfort Access makes the conventional ignition key a thing of the past. A uniquely coded transmitter, referred to as the ID Sensor, enables the driver to enter the car with the ID Sensor in a pocket and start the engine by pressing a button, without ever touching the ID Sensor. The ID Sensor, in conjunction with Key Memory, sets the driver’s preferences for power seat position, mirrors, automatic climate control and, if equipped with optional iDrive, the radio station presets.

Luxury class infotainment systems
The new 3 Series is able to take advantage of the full range of BMW’s information and entertainment features. The DVD-based onboard navigation system provides quick and accurate route planning and destination information. The standard AM/FM/CD/MP3 sound system can be upgraded to include the Logic7 surround sound system, as offered in the 7 Series. The listening experience can be enhanced further with the availability of SIRIUS satellite radio. The available Premium Package will include BMW Assist which provides emergency calling and BMW Roadside Assistance. Subscribers may also take advantage of a whole range of travel-related services.

The new BMW 3 Series will once again raise the sports sedan standard.

Source: BMWUSA.com
Old 10-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

More pics
http://www.germancarfans.com/photos....001/bmw/1.html
Old 10-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Sounds promising, just hope they dont jack up the pricing again on it. Would suck to buy a 3-series sedan for 50k.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

SOURCE: Autoweek
Old 10-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

3 Series Brochure
Old 10-27-2004, 09:45 PM
04 remembrance

I love it, except the rear can use more spacing. It looks too crunched up.

Overall, it's a big
Old 10-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Autoweek is reporting that there might be a 330Ti model with a turbo 3 liter engine but it mentions that it will make 240HP which I am guessing is a typo. They probably meant 340HP.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't look bad at all......
Old 10-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

... Best looking BMW sedan out there, including the 1-Series.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:39 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

it looks awesome. very aggressive.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:00 AM
The hair says it all

it looks great. they wont mess this one up, and they cant really afford to. i realize that i probably said that about the 5, but they took a chance and weren't as successful as they had hoped.

still, id rock that any day over my 1st gen cl

my best friend drives a 325i and she hates driving so i always drive when we go somewhere. i am always amazed at what an athletic car that is. it loves to be tossed around and it does extremely well with just 180 hp
Old 10-28-2004, 02:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
saw it on m3forum

dunno...price for the 330 will likely be very, very expensive, and for the cost i could think of other cars, especially with the updated g35 coming out soon
Old 10-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I love the exterior. But I have to say I liked the E46 interior better.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

looks like crap to me.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scalbert
I love the exterior. But I have to say I liked the E46 interior better.
I have to agree. It looks very VERY plane. It actually looks cheaper....like the X3 interior. And it looks less 'cockpit' like. I dunno. Rear end isnt very exciting. I wanna see what the coupe looks like.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

interior looks like they went backwards! But it doesnt look a bad with the navi screen

Old 10-28-2004, 12:59 PM
goldmemberererer

The interior is plain and simple, which is cool.
The front is not as bad as it could've been. Which is to say, it's not as good as it could've been either. The 3 made BMW and it could also break them. So they bangled it half-arse, which makes the new 3 look like some sort of a bastard car. But since the 3-series hasn't had any personality to it for quite some time now, I guess not many will mind.
The profile is nice. Different, but not exaggeratedly so. It's still subtle, flowing, and cohesive: the way a 40k car should look from all angles.

The rear is an afterthought (just like the 6-series). It is, after the 6-series, the worst design element I've seen out of BMW in the last decade and a half. The tail lights are unshapely as can be and if asking for a dual exhaust or atleast a good looking single is too much to ask from a 40k car, just hide the fucking exhaust. It just looks nasty the way it is.

And it will still sell. It's conservative enough, while being different enough, and I have full faith BMW's performance engineering. It has yet to take a step back.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
__

interior looks like an econo-box...the E46's inside is way nicer
Old 10-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

i like the front of the car....but the side and rear and interior are OUT.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
interior looks like they went backwards! But it doesnt look a bad with the navi screen

Seriously...it looks like an 80's merc interior.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

well it looks like the 5er and 7er interior which i STILL hate. I was really hoping to fall in love with the next 3series. But if it drives like a dream then ill get over it.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Loseit
Seriously...it looks like an 80's merc interior.
It's as if a cassette deck would look right at home in there.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

I like the new 3 and I like the interior as well.
But that’s coming from someone who likes the 5 & 7 as well.

Can’t wait to see some official coupe photos.
I’m quite content right now, but I’ll be going to BMW-land or elsewhere if Acura doesn’t come through with a decent coupe w/manual in a few years when I’m ready to buy.
And this is coming from someone who’s been with Acura since 1991.

Shawn S
Old 11-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Autoexpress
Old 11-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Masshole

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not bad... I like that lot better than the current 3er wagon.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Did anybody get a postcard from BMW last week about the special 3-Series “unveiling preview” VIP events to be held at your local dealer?
You had to go to a certain area of the BMWUSA website to sign up for info.

I’d share the link with you guys, but there was a code I had to type in on the postcard for access.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

It's official, Chris Bangle has ruined BMW. The interior is ugly and cheap looking. The E46 330i interior blows this away. I actually like the front of the car, but the side proportions are way off. The back end looks like an afterthought. The car probably is going to be more numb handling wise, just like all newer BMWs are.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Maximized
It's official, Chris Bangle has ruined BMW. The interior is ugly and cheap looking. The E46 330i interior blows this away.
It’s all a matter of opinion & personal taste.

When I was at a recent BMW driving event down in Philly, there was a 2004 330 sitting in line with the new 5, 7, Z4 & X3.
While the 3-series still looks great, it also seemed a bit “dated” both inside & out.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shawn S
It’s all a matter of opinion & personal taste.

When I was at a recent BMW driving event down in Philly, there was a 2004 330 sitting in line with the new 5, 7, Z4 & X3.
While the 3-series still looks great, it also seemed a bit “dated” both inside & out.
It's a matter of taste, but the public is shunning the new style. Sales of many BMW's are off. German cars seem to get dated real quick IMO.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Maximized
German cars seem to get dated real quick IMO.
I definitely agree with you there.
Since Mercedes updated their styling on the SL series, anything more then 2-years old looks like it’s from the early 90’s.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:54 PM
goldmemberererer

So you're saying... I can have two of one for the price of the other?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:43 PM
goldmemberererer

I know I'm comparing cars out of price segments and rather retardedly so, but... really now... the 325iT (the Wagon), in today's date, is about $32k base. You pay extra for metallic paint, an automatic transmission, power seats, etc. And you get 16" rims.

Provided that the Mazda3 requires you to pay extra for power seats, but it's a 17k car. Next up, the engine. The Mazda 4 cyl. makes comparable power (within 25 hp & lb/ft) and gives you a ton better fuel mileage than the rather anemic BMW I-6. Believe it or not, the Mazda3 is roomier (in all aspects), wider, and longer than the 325iT... and still weighs 18% less... and since the engine is 15% weaker... well, you get my drift.

I'm not saying that the Mazda3 is a better car. It's just a shitload more of one for the money, and I think the BMW 325iT is overpriced for what it is. Contrasting them is all I wanted to do.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Safety Car

The wagon's not bad... that's a seriously creased line running along the side through the door pulls.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shawn S
I definitely agree with you there.
Since Mercedes updated their styling on the SL series, anything more then 2-years old looks like it’s from the early 90’s.
I disagree. When I first saw the current E-Class I thought it was to evolutionary, and that I would get tire of it quick. But every time I see it I saw "damn," that's a nice looking car. The S-Class isjust starting to look dated to me, and now it's time for a refresh. The SL still looks great to me. I can't say the same for the ML and C, which is stale IMO now. All in all, Merc's styling is lasting.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Originally Posted by titan
I disagree. When I first saw the current E-Class I thought it was to evolutionary, and that I would get tire of it quick. But every time I see it I saw "damn," that's a nice looking car. The S-Class isjust starting to look dated to me, and now it's time for a refresh. The SL still looks great to me. I can't say the same for the ML and C, which is stale IMO now. All in all, Merc's styling is lasting.
i think this has pretty much always been the case....most Mercedes tend to have a classic design. I think the outgoing BMW range was pretty timeless in design...but most of the previous models have always tended to look dated.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

As far as interiors are concerned....i have to agree w/ Shawn...when i saw the new 5 interior it felt nice. I didnt looks so hot IMO ...but it still felt quality. The X3 however looks and feels EXTREMELY cheap. I am afraid that the new 3 series is going to be the same way. It already doesn't look driver oriented.

Quick Reply: BMW: 3-Series News