BMW: 1-Series News

Old 04-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Yummi, we already have a 1 series thread, so I'm tempted to merge this, but I'll let Gav make the final decision...

Originally Posted by Jackygor
sooo...what market gap does that car fill?
The one that the 3 series used to fill before it got fat, heavy and bloated...

Think of it as a modern day 2002... light and tossable... or a modern day e30 if you prefer...
Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aesir11
I don't get it... what would be the point of that over a Z4 M?
Z4 M has a backseat ??
Old 04-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
It better not be called the M1.
I can't see them doing it either... M2 maybe...
Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Build this now.....PLEASE
Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how much it is, cause to me, it is a mini M3
Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Build it!!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Drifting

sexy time
Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Yummi, we already have a 1 series thread, so I'm tempted to merge this, but I'll let Gav make the final decision...
Up to you gentlemen...!

I noticed the 1-series thread, but since the M3 has it's own thread from the 3-series one, I thought I'd separate this out as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome. At least BMW has a mind to compensate for their ever more porky cars, driven by ever increasing safety standards, market expectations of increased luxury, and car magazines demanding faster 0-60 times from ridiculously huge engines (4.0L V8 in ... a 3 series ... HAH). I hate them less now.

By the way, the M3 video in the other thread reminded me of a pregnant elephant on a rocket sled. Not exactly my tool of choice for canyon carving.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

Aw, keep it separate. The 1 series thread is lame. The M1 thread is far more uber.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmm...

Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Who am I?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how is this thing slower than the E46 m3??
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
300HP TT in a lighter car for $35K, wow.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CleanCL
300HP TT in a lighter car for $35K, wow.
It's been a long time coming... this thread is 5 years old...

I really think that the 128i/130i/135i is going to be my next car... unless someone else can come up with a similiar light RWD car.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Found this on the web, but can't find a link to a reputable news source, so I don't know how true it is...

From bimmerfest: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209296

(May 2007) BMW: 1-Series arrives in 2008 (Automotive News)
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. -- BMW's subcompact 1-Series will come to the United States next year, BMW of North America's top executive says. CEO Tom Purves says a two-door coupe will be on sale here in 2008.

He declined to give a timetable. He says BMW has never backed away from bringing the 1 series to the United States despite exchange rate pressure. The weak dollar relative to the euro forces European importers to choose between higher prices and lower margins. "We can deal with it," Purves says.
He would not deny that a convertible also will come to the United States.
For years, BMW would not say when it would launch the 1 series in the United States. A hatchback version went on sale in Europe in 2003. The five-door was freshened this year and shown at the Geneva auto show. The newest model features technologies such as regenerative braking and an automatic stop-start function that turns the engine off in situations such as red lights. Pricing isn't known, but the 1 series likely will start below the 3 series.

Background

Development of entry BMW continues; -referred to a 1-Series (in Europe) with launch delayed in the U.S. market. Note that BMW's naming scheme for the U.S. has not been confirmed. Reports indicate that the new entry is being developed in sedan form (expected to be called 1-Series); with coupe and convertible bodystyles also being developed. Note that the coupe and convertible may be called 2-Series in the U.S. After its divestiture of Rover cars in March of 2000CY, BMW formally confirmed that it would develop its own line of cars, under the BMW badge, "for the upper end of the lower midsize segment". The car is positioned below the existing 3-Series Compact, and is priced lower. This new entry-level car for BMW, dubbed 1-series, will spawn a few body-style variants like its upper sibling 3-Series - it is intended to be a high volume seller in the sub-luxury class, aimed at high-selling Audi A3. At 4.23m, the 1-Series is 24 centimeters shorter than the 3-Series. However a relatively long wheelbase of 2.66m is required due to the longitudinal engine, rear drive setup. Although the wheelbase 1-Series is 8cm longer than the front-drive, transverse-engined Volkswagen Golf, rear passenger space is limited. Overall width is 1.75m and overall height is 1.42m.

The 1-Series is aimed at a younger demographic seeking an upscale premium car, who are new to the BMW brand. The 1-Series 5D hatchback (E87) debuted at the 2004 Paris Motor Show and went on sale in September 2004CY. Following up the 5D Hatchback is a sporty 3D Hatchback model (E81), due in the 3rd Quarter of 2006CY for the European market.

BMW originally backed away from a firm commitment to launch the 1-Series in the important U.S. market. Due to the strength of the EURO against the U.S. dollar, BMW's already thin margins on the 1-Series were seriously eroded in market projections. As a result, BMW originally chose to take a "wait and see" approach with the U.S. market. Originally, BMW had looked at a version of the European market 5D Hatchback for the U.S. market, but the plan was quickly shot down, as BMW has not had a good history with hatchback models (specifically the old 3-Series Compact hatch). A Sedan variant was in early development as the launch model for the U.S. market (where sedans are more popular than hatchbacks) - however BMW of North America wants all 1-Series and 1-Series derived vehicles for the U.S. market to be equipped with 6-cylinder powerplants. The Sedan was slated to join the 1-Series lineup in the 3rd Quarter of 2007CY in the European market, and following in the 4th Quarter for the U.S. Market. The Sedan version is hardly as important as the hatchbacks in Europe, and was not expected to generate large European sales. The Sedan was largely aimed at the U.S. market, where hatchbacks are low in popularity. As originally conceived, the 1-Series Sedan would actually be longer, and have a slightly longer wheelbase than its hatchback siblings. This slight increase in size was mainly aimed at the U.S. market consumer, who generally expects better legroom and overall interior space.

However in Summer of 2005CY, BMW underwent a major strategy change, canceling plans for the Sedan and a Wagon model (based on the same larger wheelbase of the Sedan) that was also under early development. Numerous factors went into this decision. The major factor was that BMW felt that the larger size of the Sedan and Wagon could impact sales of the larger 3-Series Sedan and Wagon models - this was a concern shared by both BMW's North American Sales arm, as well as headquarters in Germany. In addition, a 1-Series Sedan was not seen as having strong sales potential in the European market, where small hatchbacks are significantly more popular.

2008 MY

BMW will continue to focus on development of a Coupe model (E82) as well as a Convertible (E88) that are both based on the 1-Series platform and mechanicals. In addition, an on-again, off-again strategy to rename the Coupe and Convertible models “2-Series” is now on-again.

Part of the strategy with the naming of the models is to appeal to the deep heritage and popularity of the old BMW 2002 model 2 door models, particularly in the U.S. market. BMW believes that tapping this vein of popularity will help ensure a strong launch for an all-new smaller 2-Series range in the U.S. market.

In addition, BMW was encouraged by the strong launch of the higher-end BMW 6-Series Coupe and Convertible models, and wishes to replicate the success in a smaller, lower priced model.

Styling of both the Coupe and Convertible models were largely previewed by the BMW CS1 Convertible Concept that was first shown at the 2002 Geneva Motor Show. BMW’s “flame surfacing” theme, with concave and convex lines merging to produce a unique surface effect carries over to the 2-Series. In fact sources indicate that the front end of the Production version is little-changed, except for smaller, more stylistically rendered headlamps, and a flatter BMW kidney grille. The rear end is largely unchanged from the concept.

In a shift of strategy, BMW will first launch the Convertible model first in the late Q1 2008CY, for the 2008MY in the U.S. Market, followed by the Coupe a few months later. The Convertible will feature a powered retractable cloth top. A folding hard top was initially investigated, but was quickly abandoned, due to cost and weight issues.

The 2-Series will share powertrains with the European Market 1-Series range. The lineup will include a Valvetronic 24V Inline 6-cylinder powerplant that produces 265hp. Several months after launch, BMW will expand its petrol engine lineup at the top end with the addition of a Twin-Turbocharged 3.0L Direct Injection Inline 6-cylinder petrol powerplant. Although the same engine is also found in the 3-Series 335i model (producing 306PS), the engine in the 1-Series will reportedly be detuned to about 290PS. The engine features BMW's Piezo Petrol Direct Injection technology. BMW's long-rumored ZSG double-clutch transmission (similar to the Volkswagen group's DSG in operation), is likely to be optionally available with this engine as well.

All models will come with Dynamic Stability Control with Dynamic Traction Control, 6 airbags, Brake Force Display function for tail lamps, and run-flat tires with Tire Puncture Warning System.

Similar to the facelifted 1-Series, the new 2-Series makes use of 3 major fuel saving technologies.

The first is Brake Energy Regeneration (iGR), which utilizes an Intelligent Alternator Control (IAC) and an Absorbent Glass Mat battery to recycle energy that was previously lost by the vehicle’s rolling wheels. The IAC reduces drag on the engine by engaging only when required to charge the battery – conventional alternators always draw power from the engine. The battery also charges on situations of engine over-run, such as under-braking or descending a hill. BMW claims a 3% fuel savings with iGR.
The second system is an Automatic Start-Stop function, which is standard on most manual transmission models. The Start-Stop function automatically turns the engine off when the vehicle is stationary and the driver puts the car in neutral. When the clutch is engaged, the engine restarts. The function can also be manually switched off by the driver.

The third system is Electric Power Steering, which utilizes an electric motor to provide power assistance. BMW claims a 90% energy savings vs. a conventional mechanical hydraulic steering system.

The 2-Series suspension setup is shared with the 1-Series, including an aluminum front axle setup with McPherson struts, and a 5-link rear independent suspension. Typical BMW systems, such as Dynamic Stability Control, Dynamic Traction Control, Dynamic Brake Control and Electronic Differential Lock are expected to be standard equipment. The 2-Series will include front, front-side and side curtain airbag systems.
The 2-Series' interior is largely expected to mimic that of the 1-Series, including a push button starter, and a spartan front dash layout, with seating capacity for 4 people.

The iDrive knob-based controller system will be offered, as will be a Navigation system with pop up LCD color screen.

Other equipment will include Sport Seats with width adjustment, Bluetooth capability, front & rear parking assist, and Bi-Xenon headlamps. An optional Keyless entry card system and a voice-activated radio and navigation system will also be available.

Inside, the 2-Series will also feature MP3 and USB stick compatibility, with audio tracks selectable by steering wheel controls or the iDrive system. The optional Adaptive Headlights have been improved with the addition of 2 cornering lights that illuminate the direction of travel between 22 and 40 mph.

The 2-Series Coupe follows in the late Q2 of 2008CY, (2008MY). Engines will be shared with the Convertible model.

2009 MY

As with the 1-Series, BMW plans to offer M-powered versions of the 2-Series range. For the 2-Series models, the M-versions are slated for the 1st Quarter of 2009CY (for the 2009MY). BMW’s original plan was to introduce an M-powered 2-Series with an Inline 6-Cylinder powerplant producing about 240PS. However, with the onslaught of high powered models such as Volkswagen’s R32 and upcoming R36 Golf models, BMW has readjusted their plan.

BMW is currently developing a new version of the 3.0L Inline 6-Cylinder powerplant, that is currently testing in ranges from 315-345 HP.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Not digging the look...gimme the hatchback instead, please!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Oh yea cause hatchback's are soooo hot
Old 06-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I dunno...I like/don't like it.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
I dunno...I like/don't like it.
Agreed. I'm sick of flame surfacing...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I could care less about the look... could be a coupe/hatchback/sedan... I couldn't care less... as long as it's light and RWD.

I think the hatchback would offer more utility (i.e. homedepot runs), but BMW seems convinced that hatchbacks don't sell in the US

The only real choices for lightweight, affordable, rwd cars are the S2K and RX8. The S2K isn't that practical for a daily driver, and the issues that the RX8 has (oil and fuel consumption) aren't worth dealing with...

The Elise is too expensive, and the 3 series, IS350 and G37 are heavy and expensive....

The only other cheap RWD car that I can think of is the Mustang, so the 1 series might do well in this segment regardless of how it looks or what body style is offered in the US...
Old 06-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I could care less about the look... could be a coupe/hatchback/sedan... I couldn't care less... as long as it's light and RWD.

I think the hatchback would offer more utility (i.e. homedepot runs), but BMW seems convinced that hatchbacks don't sell in the US

The only real choices for lightweight, affordable, rwd cars are the S2K and RX8. The S2K isn't that practical for a daily driver, and the issues that the RX8 has (oil and fuel consumption) aren't worth dealing with...

The Elise is too expensive, and the 3 series, IS350 and G37 are heavy and expensive....

The only other cheap RWD car that I can think of is the Mustang, so the 1 series might do well in this segment regardless of how it looks or what body style is offered in the US...
You forgot the Miata but it's not much more practical than a S2K and not as much fun.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468 more pics

Not feeling the front bumper. Reminds me of the bumper that came on the E46 sedan when it was first launched.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i like the bumper but not feelin the headlights.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I hadn't much liked the proposed styling of this car, but the picture that went along with the article that CS posted on post #395 looked nice and sporty. Like I said, I've seen a couple of 1 series hatchbacks here in the states and I do like those. Anyway, the concept of a light RWD 250+ HP car from BMW around $27K sounds pretty good to me.
Please don't screw it up BMW.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Race Director

I saw the 1 series while I was vacation in Europe last week. Looks kind of odd, but people will buy it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I saw the 1 series while I was vacation in Europe last week. Looks kind of odd, but people will buy it.
I doubt they buy it for the looks.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Race Director

i agree, probably because in Europe unlike in the USA, where it's more about style, hp, and status, it's more for practicality, value, city driving, and small enough to park in those tight Euro parking spots. BMW there in Europe is just a common car, just like GM, Chrysler, and Ford are here in the US.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Racer

I'm really excited and looking forward to seeing the 1-series in the states. I had a Mitsu Lancer for a rental for a week, and even though the car was pretty crappy, I truly enjoyed driving it just because it was so light and easy to toss around. Now I could only imagine a lightweight compact with the power of the N54.

I still enjoy driving my CL and have been pondering the G37 coupe as my next car, but I sure miss driving lighter cars. I hope the 1-series won't be too much of a pig for its size/class and maintain the well-balanced reputation BMW has regardless of engine size.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Cabrio Photochop:

From June 12th:

From June 18th (they are still hiding the final version of the trunk lid and taillights):

Old 06-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't. Friggin. Wait.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cob3683
Can't. Friggin. Wait.
Seems like the rumors point to some info being released by BMW in July, then the European release of the coupe in the fall of 2007, with a US release for spring 2008... Cabrio to follow 6 months later...

Or at least that's what I read over on 1addicts.com
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM
The hair says it all

I'll take the 5 door thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess they had an "internal" update for BMW of NA executives, and while they confiscated cellphones and cameras, they must have missed one

Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499

rear end reminds me of an older hyundai
Old 06-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Yeah that rear looks like a cheap car's rear.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
Yeah that rear looks like a cheap car's rear.
Yep, this is the lowest price car in the BMW lineup...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Like I've said before, some pics make it look real nice and sporty, in others it looks blah...
But there is something about a 300+ HP compact that is very intriguing, regardless of the style.
BMW, please don't make it start at more than $30k.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Money is funny.

looks like iDrive dementia is offered with that one in the pic above...uh oh....but i agree if they keep it under 30k, I would also seriously consider it as a new DD...
Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by 1gCL
I'm really excited and looking forward to seeing the 1-series in the states. I had a Mitsu Lancer for a rental for a week, and even though the car was pretty crappy, I truly enjoyed driving it just because it was so light and easy to toss around. Now I could only imagine a lightweight compact with the power of the N54.

I still enjoy driving my CL and have been pondering the G37 coupe as my next car, but I sure miss driving lighter cars. I hope the 1-series won't be too much of a pig for its size/class and maintain the well-balanced reputation BMW has regardless of engine size.
I know exactly what you mean! I had a crappy Sentra rental that had a driving feel that was lost in my Acura.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW: 1-Series News