Audi: R8 News

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I would not hit it. There's something odd and weird about the proportions of this car.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Looks fantastic. The price is very steep though. I guess I'd just have to "settle" for the 4.2 V8.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
more photos

Autoblog
Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts
^ Oooo...in red!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

<small>Click above for a high-res gallery of the Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI</small>
Audi always seems to have something great in store for us at the Detroit Auto Show every year, and in addition to the Sportback Concept, the long-awaited R8 V10 5.2 FSI made its official world debut at this year's show. With the 5.2L V10 plucked from the Gallardo LP560-4 mounted amidships, the new R8 now packs 525 horsepower and 391 lb-ft torque. Exterior styling has been subtly updated and includes all-LED headlights, wide side sills, revised matte aluminum exhaust tips, and new 19-inch 10-spoke wheels. More details on Audi's new flagship are in the press release after the jump as well as a video of the car's debut here in Motown.
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">var embed_124 = '<embed width="580" height="326" flashvars="file=http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/www.autoblog.com/124.flv&skin=http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/player/skins/overlay/overlay.swf&image=http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/www.autoblog.com/124.jpg&autostart=true&controlbar=over" src="http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/player/player.swf" wmode="transparent" name="player" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />'</script>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">var embed_124 = '<embed width="580" height="326" flashvars="file=http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/www.autoblog.com/124.flv&skin=http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/player/skins/overlay/overlay.swf&image=http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/www.autoblog.com/124.jpg&autostart=true&controlbar=over" src="http://www.blogcdn.com/videos/player/player.swf" wmode="transparent" name="player" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />'</script>

PRESS RELEASE

The Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro: breathtaking performance

• The new 5.2-liter, ten-cylinder engine puts out 525 hp
  • Sprint to 100 km/h in 3.9 seconds, top speed 316 km/h
  • High-performance sports car with striking design

Ingolstadt – Audi is launching the next variant of its top-of-the-line model. With the R8, the brand has established itself at the forefront of high-end sports cars from the very start – and now comes the R8 V10. Its 5.2-liter, ten-cylinder engine churns out 386 kW (525 hp) and 530 Nm (390.91 lb-ft) of torque, which makes for breathtaking performance. With superior Audi technologies such as quattro all-wheel drive, the lightweight aluminum body, the innovative all-LED headlights, and its striking design, the
R8 V10 takes pole position against the competition.

The R8 V10 is the result of cumulative know-how from Audi's string of Le Mans victories. Its naturally aspirated engine combines racing technology such as dry sump lubrication with FSI gasoline direct injection. The ten-cylinder design is the perfect synthesis for impressive top performance, mighty pulling power, and low weight. Starting in 2009, this engine will also prove its potential on the world's racetracks – in the new R8 racing car Audi is developing for customer teams in conformance with the GT3 rules.

The V10 engine in the production sports car will be almost identical in construction to the one in the racing version. Its displacement is 5,204 cc, at 6,500 rpm it delivers 530 Nm (390.91 lb-ft) of torque, at 8,000 rpm its power tops out at 386 kW (525 hp).

The specific power output is 100.9 hp per liter of displacement – and each hp has to propel only 3.09 kilograms (6.91 lb) of weight, because the Audi R8 V10 in the version with the six-speed manual gearshift weighs only 1,620 kilograms (3571 lb). The engine accounts for 258 of these kilograms (569 lb) – that's only 31 kilos (68 lb) more than the V8.

The Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro rockets from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 3.9 seconds. In the version with the sequentially shifting R tronic it reaches 200 km/h (124.27 mph) in another 8.1 seconds. Even then its propulsive power hardly lessens: it's sufficient to reach a top speed of 316 km/h (196.35 mph). The immense force, the spontaneity and the thrust of the acceleration, plus the sound of the engine – all these impressions coalesce into a breathtaking sports car experience. The V10 plays a concert with growling bass tones and powerful high notes, which grows into a grandiose fortissimo as the engine revs up. This sonorous acceleration doesn't reach its limit until 8,700 rpm.

The 5.2-liter powerplant uses direct injection according to the FSI principle developed by Audi. A common rail system injects the fuel into the combustion chambers with up to 120 bar of pressure. Direct injection reduces the susceptibility to knocking and provides a certain amount of cooling through the evaporation of the fuel, which in turn supports a high compression ratio of 12.5:1. This in turn contributes to superior performance and improves fuel economy. The R8 V10 with R tronic gets by on an average of 13.7 liters per 100 km (17.17 US mpg).

For maximum dynamics: low center of gravity engine

The technical refinements of the long-stroke ten-cylinder engine include dry sump lubrication, which allows the engine to be mounted low within the chassis. The wide cylinder angle of 90 degrees also makes for a low center of gravity. The crankcase is a high-strength aluminum-alloy casting produced in a complex process. The connecting rods are made of forged steel, the pistons of aluminum. The four camshafts are chain-driven and each is adjustable through 42 degrees. This provides great latitude in controlling the valve timing. In combination with the straight, flow-optimized ducts of the intake manifold, this improves the charge throughout the entire speed range.

The R8 5.2 FSI quattro has a six-speed transmission. A precise and smooth-shifting manual transmission comes as standard equipment. The sequential
R tronic is available as an option. The high-tech gearshift conveys an authentic racing feel – with the rocker switches at the steering wheel and the short shifting times of usually less than one-tenth of a second. When the driver actuates the Launch Control program by pressing a button, the R8 V10 takes off in a vehement quick-start with electronically controlled tire slip – both with the R tronic and with the manual transmission.

A contributing factor to the wide lead in traction and driving safety of the Audi R8 V10 over the competition is quattro all-wheel drive – it's the superior technology especially for a high-performance sports car. Four powered wheels get more grip than two. They enable the driver to step on the gas sooner when coming out of a curve. It's not only the traction that benefits, but also the transverse dynamics and the stability.

44 to 56 percent – the ideal axle load distribution

The Audi R8 chassis offers both dynamic performance and astonishing levels of comfort on long distances. This high-performance sports car from Audi eagerly responds to any steering action with instant ease, achieves lateral acceleration of up to 1.2 g, and handles any situation with superb driving safety. Its mid-engine design provides an ideal axle load distribution of 44 to
56 percent.

The wheel suspensions on dual aluminum wishbones front and rear – a classic racing technology – are optimized for neutral self-steering characteristics. Even more than in the eight-cylinder R8, this setup is designed for maximum performance. 19-inch wheels equipped with tire pressure monitoring display are standard equipment. Their 10-spoke Y design is exclusive to the R8 V10. Tire sizes are 235/35 front and 295/30 rear.

The car features a high-end damper technology as standard: Audi magnetic ride adapts the characteristics of the suspension in milliseconds to the nature of the road surface and to the driving style. Suspended in the oil of the shock absorbers are tiny magnetic particles which, when a voltage is applied, rearrange themselves so as to slow down the flow of oil through the valves.

In the R8 V10, deceleration is provided by an extremely muscular braking system – eight brake pistons at the front and four at the rear grasp the brake disks, which are ventilated and perforated to ensure unimpeded heat transfer. The brake disks on the front axle have a diameter of 380 millimeters (15 in); the rear discs span 356 millimeters (14 in).

The R8 5.2 FSI quattro is optionally available with a ceramic brake system whose disks are made of a composite material containing high-strength carbon fibers and abrasion-resistant silicon carbide. These are especially light: their combined weight is nine kilograms (19.84 lb) less than the weight of equivalent steel disks. The ceramic brakes can easily cope with the harsher requirements of racing, won't corrode, and have a typical service life of 300,000 kilometers (186,400 miles). Their calipers are painted charcoal gray and emblazoned with the inscription "Audi ceramic".

Typically Audi: Sharp lines and an elegantly curved roof

The wide, full shape of the R8 5.2 FSI quattro seems to hug the road. The brawny proportions and prominent wheel wells underscore its potential. The high-precision styling of the lines and the elegant curve of the roof are typical Audi features. A continuous contour optically connects the front, the wheel wells, the sides and the rear. Located well forward, the cab visually expresses the mid-engine design. The vertical air scoops (sideblades) on the sides are also indicative of the engine location. The massive aluminum gas cap is mounted flush within the right sideblade.

The design of the Audi R8 has already impressed experts, as evidenced by the double victory in the "World Car of the Year Awards 2008". In the ten-cylinder model, the styling has been sharpened up even more.

The front air inlets, which feed air to the coolers, and the lip of the front apron are painted in high-gloss black. The number of cross-braces has been reduced from four to two. The vanes of the single-frame grille have a striking chrome finish.

A very distinctive highlight of the R8 V10 are the all-LED headlights as standard equipment. Audi is the world's first automaker to use LEDs for the high beam, low beam, daytime running lights, and turn signals. Each headlight integrates 54 of these high-tech light sources. With a color temperature of 6,000 Kelvin the LED light closely resembles daylight, which is less tiring to the eyes in night driving. Further advantages of the LEDs include brilliant illumination, low energy consumption, and a virtually unlimited service life.

Special details also distinguish the body of the R8 V10. Its sideblades are more accentuated than in the eight-cylinder version. The side sills are more striking and wider; the exhaust grilles at the rear windows have a matt aluminum look. Through the large rear window, the ten-cylinder engine is clearly visible in its consummate technical beauty.

When in motion, this Audi high-performance sports car creates a downforce that keeps it in firm contact with the road – thanks to a rear spoiler which deploys automatically at 100 km/h and the fully enclosed underbody, which terminates in a sharply upward-curved diffuser. The dominant color at the rear end is high-gloss black, including the settings of the LED tail lights. The air outlets at the rear end also have only two cross-braces, and the exhaust system terminates in two large oval tailpipes.

Audi sets the example – in body weight and rigidity

The body of a sports car must be especially lightweight and rigid. Audi meets these requirements with the technology of the Audi Space Frame (ASF) and its high-tech aluminum construction. The body-in-white of the R8 V10, which includes an engine frame made of ultra-light magnesium, weighs only 210 kilograms (463 lb), and the quality of its lightweight design – the relation of weight to torsional rigidity – is the best in the sports car segment. The body is composed of profile extrusions, sheet aluminum and very complex gusset castings, all held together by 99 meters (325 ft) of welding seams, 782 rivets, and 308 special screws.

The interior of the R8 V10 provides a unique racing ambience at the luxury level. Its dominant element is the so-called monoposto – a wide arc that contains the steering wheel and the cockpit. As always in an Audi, the workmanship is of the highest quality. The surfaces of the dashboard and doors are lined with fine materials and adorned with precisely stitched decorative seams. Many customizing solutions are available: Audi supplies leather in a wide range of colors, packages with a carbon and piano-lacquer finish, or a made-to-measure luggage set. quattro GmbH, which has developed and is producing the R8 V10, also provides solutions for unconventional requirements.

The great everyday utility of the Audi R8 V10 is based in part on its spacious interior made possible by the long wheelbase of 2.65 meters (8.69 ft). Drivers and passengers of any size will always find a perfect sitting position. Visibility too is surprisingly good. Slender hinge pillars optimize the obliquely forward field of view. Another advantage for convenient everyday use is the luggage space: 100 liters (3.53 cu ft) fit under the front hood, another 90 liters (3.18 cu ft) can be stowed behind the seats. There is also room for two golf bags.

The Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro combines its colossal performance with a generous complement of standard equipment. Highlights include heatable seat covers made of Fine Nappa leather, a driver information system, the navigation system plus and the Bang & Olufsen sound system along with deluxe automatic air conditioning and an alarm system. The instruments and the gearshift knob are decorated with red rings; the footrests and the rocker switches of the R tronic have an aluminum finish.

The list of options includes other highly attractive features – such as the Audi parking system advanced with its integrated rearview camera or numerous Audi exclusive customization options. Various leather packages provide a luxurious touch, while the bucket seats from the Audi exclusive program bring a highly concentrated racing atmosphere into the R8 V10.

The Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro will be rolled out in Germany in the second quarter of 2009 at a basic price of EUR 142,400.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Very nice...I love this car.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

simply stunning
Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Don't like those wheels very much...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I love this car.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Don't like those wheels very much...
... but I would still gladly take one any day.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
suprised they are continually experimenting with the engine! this halo car must be creating quite a lot of financial stir.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
i love this car and they just keep making it better!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Daddy Like!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Gimme gimme gimme!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Promotional vid for the V10 5.2...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ap0LBYx3ZCg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ap0LBYx3ZCg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I rode on the V8 one my friend owns in Korea. Though I didn't get to drive it, it was an amazing experience when my friend pushed t hard in the middle of Seoul at night. But my friend added, this is nothing compared to Lambos........
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^ introduce him to me when i visit korea. lol
Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I saw the V10 at the Chicago Auto Show. I was really surprised at how small it was. Nonetheless, it is a gorgeous car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19385410@N00/3280719772/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19385410@N00/3280726186/

Last edited by sho_nuff1997; 02-24-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: EMBED FAIL
Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I saw the V10 at the Chicago Auto Show. I was really surprised at how small it was. Nonetheless, it is a gorgeous car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19385410@N00/3280719772/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19385410@N00/3280726186/
the 911 too is small and the Gallardo LP540...
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Promotional vid for the V10 5.2...
I think that was shot at the Ascari track in Spain. Not 100% sure but I'd probably bet $20 on it

I would love to hear one in person.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by yohan81718
I rode on the V8 one my friend owns in Korea. Though I didn't get to drive it, it was an amazing experience when my friend pushed t hard in the middle of Seoul at night. But my friend added, this is nothing compared to Lambos........

I hate you.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
do those tq numbers seem a little low?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
do those tq numbers seem a little low?
It does seem very low. But I see that number over and over.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm a llama :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rather listen to just the engie instead of that stupid music.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

R8 tdi: Cancelled

The Audi R8 TDI concept car that bowed last year in Detroit and then later, slightly revised, in Geneva, had been given the green light for production, but according to Audi insiders, the German automaker has decided to halt the project. Citing soft global demand for high-end cars, as well as weak response to diesels in the United States, a source familiar with the project says Audi wouldn’t be able to recoup its initial investment.

The concept car, which was powered by a 5.5-liter, 500-horsepower engine based on the automaker’s R10 Le Mans race car engine, was said to be the precursor of a production model. According to Auto Express, however, the cost of re-engineering the car to accommodate the diesel powertrain would kill off any chance of making a profit.

Audi’s engineers were apparently having a difficult time fitting the 12-cylinder production-ready diesel engine in the R8’s engine bay. The massive twin turbochargers were particularly difficult to fit, an inside source told the publication.

An open-top version of the R8 is still on its way, however, as we reported earlier.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-cans-r8-tdi.html
Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That's lame. The TDI V12 concept was simply bad ass...authentic Le Mans inspired technology for the street.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I thought that the V12 TDI idea was replaced with the V10 anyways? Or were they planning to have three versions of the R8 (V8, V10, V12 TDI)?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Electric R8 concept and R8 Spyder convertible rumored for Frankfurt...

From Motor Authority...

Audi currently sells two versions of its R8 supercar, the original 4.2L V8 model and the recently revealed 5.2L V10 version, but there are two more versions in the works, the first of which will be unveiled at September’s Frankfurt Motor Show. The two new versions are the R8 Spyder convertible and high-performance RS variant.

News today from Auto Motor und Sport is claiming Audi will also present an electric concept version of the R8 at the upcoming Frankfurt event, though it’s not clear whether this will be some kind of hybrid or all-electric version. Reportedly, Audi is keen to show that electric powertrains do not have to be limited to low-powered and compact city cars but it can also be used for high-powered sports car applications.

As for the R8 Spyder, a spokesman for Audi previously confirmed that it has been delayed to allow time for sales of the V10 hard-top to eventually die down. The Audi rep also confirmed that the Spyder will feature a full convertible soft-top roof instead of a smaller targa set-up, which was the preferred choice of engineers back in Germany.

Other major changes for the car that are expected to make it to production will be additional air intakes located behind the seats, as well as a pair of safety roll-over bars. Sadly, the R8’s trademark aluminum side blades have been removed. The placement of the fuel filler cap will also be changed due to the missing rear pillars, while changes under the sheet metal will likely include extra chassis strengthening.

While the base model will likely stick with the hard-top’s 420hp (313kW) 4.2L V8 engine, there’s talk that Audi may shoehorn the 5.2L V10 into a mid-level model and reserve the 5.0L twin-turbo V10 from the RS6 for a high-performance RS-variant.

The differences between the RS-variant and the standard V8 and V10 model will extend beyond just horsepower outputs. The chassis has reportedly been modified to accommodate the extra power, gaining upgraded suspension, steering and braking systems. Its arrival isn't pegged until late 2010 or early 2011.
http://www.motorauthority.com/audi-r...-revealed.html
Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Audi Launches Mysterious Electricity Untamed Teaser Site, Viral Videos

From Motor Authority: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...e-viral-videos

Audi has just launched a new site with a mysterious series of viral videos and enigmatic aphorisms, which it calls "Electricity Untamed." The site, while unknown in purpose, is counting down the days remaining until the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show, intimating that a concept car or other special unveiling is in the works - possibly the rumored all-electric Audi R8 ePerformance.

The site asks: "What happened to electricity? It got dumbed down and domesticated. It's stuck inside toothbrushes and coffee makers." It also states a number of apparently random facts about the energy potential of electricity, focusing on its ability to deliver power and speed, and to behave badly.

That all hints strongly at an electric Audi performance car, and what better platform than the outstanding R8? Though Audi has distanced itself from news of an electric R8-based supercar, previous reports hinted that just such a car was headed to the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show, and now this site's appearance seems to lend credence to the rumors.

Along with the random information is a series of what appears to be four viral videos. Depicting an arcing power station, a close lightning strike, a high-powered electric go-kart and a runaway electric lawn mower, the videos all focus on the theme of the raw power and unpredictability of electricity - electricity untamed, as it were. A sampling of the videos is embedded below, and you can visit the site for yourself here.

What, precisely, Audi is hinting at with all of this is still unknown, but it's clear that it's electric, powerful, and coming in twelve days, 15 hours, 11 minutes and 20...no 17...no 14 seconds...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Electric R8 Revealed; Named e-Tron

From Motor Authority...

Audi’s electric R8 has been revealed and its name is e-Tron. Set to go head-to-head with similar ecological concepts from closest rivals BMW and Mercedes-Benz, the new e-Tron will have its work cut out for it at this week’s 2009 Frankfurt Auto Show and on initial inspection it looks like it has what it takes.

In the past couple of weeks Audi has teased us with a special website and some trailer videos all featuring a central theme of electrical power and now we can clearly see why.

No official details have been released yet, including whether the e-Tron will feature an all-electric powertrain or some form of hybrid but that fact that it appears to have no cooling vents tends to make us think it’s the former.

Obvious differences to the standard R8 sports car on which it’s based include the concealed bodywork, a unique grille, a custom interior, new LED headlights and a special red paint scheme.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...e-tron-concept
Old 09-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2011 Roadster Preview...

From Motor Authority...

Audi currently sells two versions of its R8 supercar, the original 4.2-liter V-8 model and the recently revealed 5.2-liter V-10 version, but there are two more versions in the works--one of which has been revealed today ahead of its world debut at the 2009 Frankfurt auto show.

The two new versions are the R8 Spyder convertible shown here, as well as the high-performance RS variant still to come.

A spokesman for Audi previously confirmed that the R8 Spyder was delayed to allow time for sales of the V-10 hard-top to eventually die down. The Audi rep also confirmed that the Spyder would feature a full convertible soft-top roof instead of a smaller targa set-up, which was the preferred choice of engineers back in Germany.

Other major changes for the car that appear to have made it to production are a pair of additional air intakes located behind the seats, as well as a pair of safety roll-over bars. The R8’s trademark aluminum side blades have been removed. The placement of the fuel filler cap will also be changed due to the missing rear pillars, while changes under the sheet metal will likely include extra chassis strengthening.

One other important attribute of the R8 Spyder is the availability of the high-performance 5.2-liter V-10 engine, exclusively. The smaller 4.2-liter engine is likely to be ruled out for the new Spyder. This means it will make 525 horsepower and 391 pound-feet of torque.

Though it weighs roughly 200 pounds more than the hardtop coupe, the R8 V-10 Spyder still slingshots to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds on its way to a 195-mph top-end limit, according to Audi. Heat-reflecting seats are part of the standard equipment list, as are seatbelts that are woven with microphones for superior, er, handsfree cellphone use. The top can be operated up to about 30 mph, Audi adds. It comes in three color choices. LED headlamps will be standard.

The R8 Spyder will be a 2011 model when it shows up in North America next summer.

Stay tuned: MotorAuthority is on the Frankfurt scene, and there's more to come tonight, including more Audi e-tron details.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...spyder-preview
Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

those wheels

Looks like a Hyundai knock-off of the R8
Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,783 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Audi's such a hot company right now..

(and I normally don't even like convertibles )

Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

not even a month after one of their higher ups talks about how electric cars are for idiots, Audi reveals an electric car.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

not even a month after one of their higher ups talks about how electric cars are for idiots, Audi reveals an electric car.
IIRC, he spoke of how dismal the Volt is, not of how bad electric vehicles in general are.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-pre...s-comment.html
Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
Audi's such a hot company right now..

(and I normally don't even like convertibles )

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this car will sell.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
IIRC, he spoke of how dismal the Volt is, not of how bad electric vehicles in general are.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-pre...s-comment.html
You are correct, sir!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The e-Tron looks like the car from iRobot.

Quick Reply: Audi: R8 News