Audi: Quattro Concept news

Old 09-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Audi: Quattro Concept news

Audi is celebrating the 30th anniversary of its iconic Quattro with this Paris show star: the Quattro Concept.

Based on a shortened RS5 platform, the concept is actually closer in spirit to 1984’s Sport Quattro, a more compact version of the original coupé that was designed to improve the car’s agility on the world’s rallying stages.

The concept’s wheelbase is 150mm shorter than the RS5’s, its roofline is around 40mm lower and the 4.28m overall length is around the same as a Volkswagen Scirocco’s. Unlike the RS5, though, the concept is a strict two-seater.

Most of the bodywork is aluminium, but the bonnet and rear hatchback are carbonfibre. Audi says the car weighs approximately 1300kg, around the same as the Sport Quattro.

Audi has not released a power figure for the concept, but it has confirmed that it has a five-cylinder engine. That’s likely to be a version of the TT RS’s twin-turbocharged powerplant offering at least 335bhp, comfortably more than the 300bhp of the original roadgoing special.

The front styling is dominated by a huge rectangular grille, while the side profile’s key feature is an extra-thick C-pillar that also has Audi’s four-ring logo stamped into its metal. No images of the cabin have been released, but Audi says it features a slender, ‘floating’ dashboard and bucket seats that are 40 per cent lighter than regular items.

Insiders say that Audi will gauge reaction to the car at the Paris show with interest but insist that the Quattro Concept is purely a celebration of the classic coupé and that there are no production plans at present.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Feels retro
Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Yea....I don't think this is looking too nice.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
hummmm ill wait till i see more pictures
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
it's sad but Audi is starting to lose their design lead. no doubt due to the designer leaving for Kia. i'm not quite feeling this one, nor do I like the angry looking headlights in newer models.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Autocar

Audi is celebrating the 30th anniversary of its iconic Quattro with this Paris show star: the Quattro Concept.

Based on a shortened RS5 platform, the concept is actually closer in spirit to 1984’s Sport Quattro, a more compact version of the original coupé that was designed to improve the car’s agility on the world’s rallying stages.

The concept’s wheelbase is 150mm shorter than the RS5’s, its roofline is around 40mm lower and the 4.28m overall length is around the same as a Volkswagen Scirocco’s. That's 200mm shorter than an Audi A5. Unlike the RS5, though, the concept is a strict two-seater.

Most of the bodywork is aluminium, but the bonnet and rear hatchback are carbonfibre. Audi says the car weighs approximately 1300kg, around the same as the Sport Quattro.

Power comes from a 408bhp version of the TT RS’s twin-turbocharged five-pot, mounted north-south insetad of its transverse installation in the TT-RS. This is comfortably more than the 300bhp of the original roadgoing special. It is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox and the Quattro is good for 0-62mph in just 3.9sec.

Like the RS5, the Quattro "has full four-wheel-drive, not the TT's [part-time] Haldex system," the Quattro Concept's designer, Steve Lewis, told Autocar.

The front styling is dominated by a huge rectangular grille, while the side profile’s key feature is an extra-thick C-pillar that also has Audi’s four-ring logo stamped into its metal. No images of the cabin have been released, but Audi says it features a slender, ‘floating’ dashboard and bucket seats that are 40 per cent lighter than regular items.

And while no production plans formally exist, Lewis admitted "everybody says let's do it," and that "we've talked about a run of 500 units." The concept was built at Volkswagen Group's latest acquisition, Italdesign, which has form in producing limited-run sports cars, such as the BMW M1. However, even if it does get the green light, don't expect a public announcement on that for another year.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5WuX...layer_embedded
Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
love EVERYTHING about it. audi retro...

i never understood why they bother boasting the engine specs for a car that's a design study with zero expectation for production. great, so you could physically fit an RS motor under the hood for a car that doesnt have a price tag...

the front fascia is fantastic. hopefully, we'll see it adopted by other models.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Not bad....I like the nose, for sure.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T98Du...layer_embedded
Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
i never understood why they bother boasting the engine specs for a car that's a design study with zero expectation for production. great, so you could physically fit an RS motor under the hood for a car that doesnt have a price tag...
Yeah it makes no sense, they could say 600 hp or 200 hp and it wouldn't make any difference since no one will ever get to drive this car.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm the Firestarter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv7M7...ayer_embedded#!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

did they at least get to keep them?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm the Firestarter

^ If I got one they would have to kick me in the balls to get it back from me.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Audi Quattro concept review

Autocar

What is it?

It’s a celebration of 30 years of Quattros by Audi, but it’s much more than that too. It’s also, and far more significantly, a nod to Audi’s future.

At the moment the Quattro Concept is just that, a concept. But Audi is very positive about its chances of making production, which it could do, at its claimed weight of just 1300kg – less than a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. And it’s not alone – Audi genuinely believes that lighter cars represent its future.

When the Quattro Concept made its debut at the Paris motor show in September, it was a show car that could only drive under its own steam from the rear of a transporter, to a show stand, and back again, all at a speed barely into double figures. Now, though, it has been transformed - and it has taken a lot of work, as you might imagine – from a 10mph show pony into a concept car that’s capable of being driven at up to 100mph.

The Quattro Concept is ostensibly an RS5 underneath. Audi has, though, taken a full 150mm out of the wheelbase, and constructed the body from part aluminium (mostly the immovable bits), and partly from carbonfibre (mostly the opening bits).

Of course, you and I already know that light weight is the gift that keeps on giving. The Quattro Concept can have less power than the RS5 which spawned it, so by losing the 4.4-litre V8 motor and getting, in its place, a 2.5-litre five-pot (how very Quattro) from the TT RS, it gets lighter and, therefore, faster, again.

The ’5’s wick has been turned up to 402bhp, which is enough for Audi’s calculators to reckon the Quattro could hit 62mph from rest in 3.9sec (believable enough), driven through a six-speed manual gearbox. The rest of the drivetrain is borrowed from an RS5 – it doesn’t have the sport limited-slip rear differential or torque vectoring at the moment, but if the production go-ahead is given, it’ll get ’em.

What’s it like?

Inside, there’s a rather wonderful simplicity to the Quattro Concept (although any production version would more likely adopt RS5 interior architecture). It’s beautifully finished in exotic leather and carbonfibre, there are just two lightweight seats and the driving position is superb.

There’s not too much hint of potency when you push the starter; the five pot starts quickly and settles quietly. With windows down, in a garage, there’s just a slight burble, and the odd rattle you’d expect from a concept car’s body, while the all-digital dash wobbles a bit. A couple of quick blips reveals a motor that has a slightly laggy low end response, but a classy bass rumble.

The clutch pedal is as light as any Audi’s – lighter than an R8’s from memory. The gearshift ditto – positive enough that you won’t mis-shift.

And, flipping heck, the steering is light, too. It’s not nervy, not edgy, but retains its lightness as speeds rise. It’s direct, accurate, and you can feel the relative lack of inertia in the chassis. When those 30 profile tyres change direction, this short, light car is pretty eager to follow. The ride isn’t too clever at very low speeds, but it settles once you add a few mph; by 30mph you’d almost call it comfortable; though it should be noted our few miles of carefully chosen road weren’t exactly taxing the pliancy.

First impression?

Well, it feels like a concept. Most driveway ramps would wipe the splitter clean off, I’m approaching hairpins in the outside lane because there’s insufficient lock to use the inside one, and the tyres will attack the chassis if I apply too much lock. But there is something about this car, even at 25mph.

Encouraged by Audi to press on a bit faster, I give it a bootful, at which point it feels rather less like a concept car. The Quattro really flies. Once you’ve a few revs wound on – anything over 2500 is fine – most of the lag disappears and the distinctive five-pot warble kicks in, followed by some whistling and chattering of the wastegate when you lift and start the process in the next gear. It feels R8 V10 kind of fast, but that acceleration is easier to get at. The shift is sweet too. The brakes perhaps a tad over-servoed, but manageable enough. Engine response is fine for heel and toe downshifts.

That said, I’m not about to start pushing the chassis. One, it isn’t finished (far from it). Two, it’s a priceless one-off. But you can tell this is a light car. It steers directly, changes direction wonderfully quickly.

Should I buy one?

Well, obviously there’s the slight caveat that officially, you can’t just yet, but Audi is making the right noises, and it would seem strange to be so positive, if they were going to pull the plug now.

Should it get the green light, it could be on the market in as little as two years from sign-off. Executives at Quattro GmbH (Audi’s performance subsidiary) are determined that they would build the car, that it must be exclusive, built in limited numbers (think hundreds rather than thousands), and match the weight of the concept. So, expect some exotic materials in the body.

The Quattro heritage is an interesting element of the Quattro Concept’s arrival, but what it says about Audi’s future is the real clincher. A short, fast car with a 60 per cent power bias to the rear, that’s 300kg lighter than an R8? That’s why I’d love Audi to build this car. And if it does, I can’t help thinking it’d be a belter.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
like the seats and the exterior, but PUKE on the interior Ewwwww
Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

anyone else notice the seat covers in that last pic
Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
head room look like a yike other than that needs a v8 and id buy one
Old 11-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i like it, but i'm into the rs5 more
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, what a minimalistic interior....
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow, what a minimalistic interior....
yeah...Takes you back to the late 70's and early 80's... I wanted a Quattro so bad back in the day...
Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ghttf; 12-07-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
omg that side profile looks like a corrado. That's why I like this car so much, I love corrados
Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I love it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not bad , but the interior
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Why would you want to do a retro take on a cheap 80's interior? I just looks like a cheap 80's interior with nicer materials, there's nothing classy or nostalgic about it.

It's like trying remodel your house after your first shitty apartment. You just don't. Let it go.

And the exterior isn't great either.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Why would you want to do a retro take on a cheap 80's interior? I just looks like a cheap 80's interior with nicer materials, there's nothing classy or nostalgic about it.

It's like trying remodel your house after your first shitty apartment. You just don't. Let it go.

And the exterior isn't great either.
Guess they're taking a page from the Big 3's book(i.e., Camaro, Mustang, Challenger), lol?

But you're right...let it go already, lol!

Nonetheless, it's a beautiful, sexy design. Don't like the rear though.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/au...percar-dom/#/4
Audi’s 700hp Sport quattro hybrid concept once again reshapes the supercar landscape
By Nick Jaynes — September 3, 2013

At the Frankfurt Auto Show this year, both BMW and Audi are looking backwards as they race forward with two new, very special, very distinctive coupes.

On Tuesday we saw a sneak peek at the new BMW i8 – the plug-in hybrid sports car destined to carry on the 8 Series legacy. And today we see this: the Audi Sport quattro concept.

The Audi Sport quattro concept is the latest iteration of Audi’s infamous – and now ancient by automotive terms – Sport quattro lineage.

First introduced in 1983 with the Sport quattro, the hot hatch challenged what it meant to be a supercar in the late 20th century. Although it packed a permanent all-wheel drive system and a 306 horsepower engine, the quattro didn’t quite look the supercar part. Despite its less than inspiring looks, the quattro would go on to win the 1987 Pike’s Peak International Hill Climb in Colorado and find a spot in the hearts and minds of young boys every where. I’d know; I was one of them.

Delightfully, the 2013 Audi Sport quattro concept picks up where its predecessor left off. This time, however, it has more power. A lot more power.

Just like its BMW rival, the i8, the Sport quattro concept, too, is a plug-in hybrid. Unlike the three-cylinder i8, however, the Sport quattro concept is powered by a 4.0-liter twin-turbo TFSI V8 mated to an eight-speed tiptronic transmission, which sends power to the quattro all-wheel drive system, featuring a sport differential on the rear axle.

In between the V8 and the transmission is a pancake electric motor that creates 147 horsepower and 295.02 pound-feet of torque, which is powered by an onboard lithium-ion battery pack. The addition of the electric motor takes total system power output to 700 horsepower and 590.05 pound-feet, which is more power than 35 Ford Model Ts – literally.

With the V8 and electric motor working together, the Sport quattro concept will sprint to 0-62 mph in 3.7 seconds and onto a top speed of 189.52 mph. You don’t always have to drive it like you stole it, though. The Sport quattro concept can be driven in three modes: EV, Hybrid, and Sport.

In EV all electric mode, the car will travel up to 31.07 miles on a single charge and spare the life of at least one polar bear. Hybrid mode is exactly what it sounds like. Except, in the Audi, it utilizes the navigation system to travel the most efficient route. It will display route suggestions through the virtual 3D instrument cluster and head-up display. And Sport is “hold on to your mustache, things are about to get a bit scary” mode.

The Audi sounds fantastic, right? Well, yes, it does. Except it has one big problem.

Unlike the BMW plug-in hybrid sports car, the Sport quattro concept is just that: a concept. Audi won’t sell you one. It might make one soon but if you’re in the market for a high-end German luxury sports car now, you’ll have to settle for the pitifully powered 362 horsepower BMW i8 and go 0-60 a whole second slower.

At that point, though, why even get out of bed?

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/au...#ixzz2e8SexBVo