Audi: A7, S7, RS7 News

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to see more pictures, plus obviously see the real deal. I remain underwhelmed by the exterior. The Sportback Concept was superb, but this is totally watered down (my opinion, others clearly love it). I've been looking forward to Audi's new styling direction but the 2011 A8 and 2012 A7 seem to be going nowhere in that regard.

And what's with the same old V8? Competition is doing much better, guys.

So far, I'm liking the spied CLS-Class and Gran Coupe more.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I like it a lot, although I would still prefer an A5 Sportback over this.

The interior is good, but I'd really like to see it with CF or some other non-wood material.

Much better than the A8.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdRlnzJamo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AZ8lAefq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtulCr4aiFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsG3aducjjw
Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I like it a lot, although I would still prefer an A5 Sportback over this.

The interior is good, but I'd really like to see it with CF or some other non-wood material.

Much better than the A8.
I thought the same.
But 2 months ago I went to the local dealer for a test drive with the A5 Sportback 3.0 TDi.
The car looks great, but the rear seats are like the ones on the ZDX: headroom is very compromised by the coupe shape of the car. VERY.
If you are taller than 1,80m it will be a problem.
And with 18-19" wheels (with less the car doesn't look good at all) it's a very harsh drive.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Audi S7 headed to Paris??

Autoblog is driving the stunning new Audi A7 Sportback at its international media launch this week in Sardinia, and the scuttlebutt around the hotel bar is that a hotter performance variant, the S7, will make its debut at the Paris Motor Show in the coming weeks.

With garden-variety U.S. A7 five-door powered by the latest evolution of Audi's supercharged 3.0-liter TFSI six-cylinder engine backed by a ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic, it will be interesting to see what the higher-performance S7 brings to the party. As is often the way with such things, Audi representatives here on the Mediterranean island are stopping just short of confirming the debut altogether, and they certainly aren't telling us what will lurk under in the engine bay of the all-wheel drive hatchback.

Like other German automakers, Audi has pledged to back down from the cylinder-count escalation wars that have marked the last decade of its performance products, so we certainly aren't expecting a further derivation of the Lamborghini-sourced 5.2-liter V10 engine found in the current S6. The company has also been veering away from its excellent 4.2-liter FSI engine as seen in the R8 and S5 coupe, so it's possible that this engine won't make it into the S7 as well. Sister brand Bentley has already confirmed that the 2011 Continental GT will be available with a V8 engine for the first time, and it's broadly suspected that the new engine will be a direct-injected 4.0-liter turbo, and an Audi-fied version of that powerplant is expected to filter down throughout the S6/S7/S8 range.

Even though North American A7s will funnel their 296 horsepower exclusively through a paddle-shift eight-speed automatic, the model range is available with a seven-speed S Tronic dual-clutch cogswapper in European markets, and it's likely that Audi would save this more sports-oriented gearbox for the higher-performance S7. A six-speed manual is also a possibility.

Will the sporty S7 slantback make it into our showrooms? Again, Audi of America reps won't confirm it, but they are clearly vying to receive the car, and with only one powertrain confirmed for the A7 bodystyle in our market, it would make sense that a second powertrain package like that of the S7 would join the stable. As the U.S. A7 will carry a 2012 designation and won't be available until late spring, don't look for the S7 to hit U.S. dealers any time soon.

As you'll likely recall, Audi USA has been aggressively lobbying its German counterparts for more performance models as of late, having only recently confirmed the white-hot RS5 coupe for the States. The RS5 won't show until 2012, sadly, but still on the table is the importation of the TT RS, and a decision on that model is likely to be handed down within the next few days. As you may recall, Audi of America actually went so far as to create an online petition on its Facebook page asking brand fans to urge for its importation, and it even tempted members of the U.S. media ('Hi!') with local test-drives in California.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:31 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by knavinusa
The A7 looks fine with the exception of the front. It looks pretty bloated. I'm gonna reserve my judgment until I see it in person though.
Interesting you say that. I feel the rear is a tad bit off somehow. Front looks great and the interior is alright. Seems a little uninspiring for me.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
s7... yummy
Old 09-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
How awesome is that 3.0 TDi ... I was watching that last video and had no idea it was the diesel. I thought it said 3.0 TFSI =o

I think it's a nice looking car though I don't know why they didn't just make this the A6.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Interesting you say that. I feel the rear is a tad bit off somehow. Front looks great and the interior is alright. Seems a little uninspiring for me.
Actually, after looking at this car a little more in different photos, I agree with you. The rear doesn't look bad but the front does look good. It feels like this car needs a little more power though.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
+1 on the S6/RS6 I love the ass on that car. A7/S7....
Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Motorauthority speculationos about the engines of both Audi S7 and RS7:

S7: V8 4.0L with 394 hp (seems strange, considering the 5.2L 438 hp of the present Audi S6)
RS7: 600 hp twin-turbo 5.0L V10 (sounds good, but not real).
Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Edmunds first test drive

Sardinia is a really old place, and at first it feels odd to drive Audi's latest creation, the 2012 Audi A7, on roads that meander past the remains of a stone village from the Bronze Age and a 3,800-year-old olive tree that's miraculously still alive.

But Sardinians have gotten in the habit of reinventing their island over the centuries. Their latest creation is the Costa Smeralda, a gorgeous strip of coastline that's currently the No. 1 destination for millionaires from Moscow, Dubai and all points in between. You certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a high-end vehicle here, particularly if it's new and avant garde in design, as the Audi A7 is.

We don't mean to make too much of the "five-door coupe" marketing wizardry that will accompany the launch of the 2012 Audi A7 in Europe this fall and here in the U.S. next spring. This car is a sedan, in the same way the Mercedes-Benz CLS is a sedan. The difference is the A7 has a hatchback tail, so it can carry four millionaires and their luggage on a tour of the island.

Of course, the beautiful vacationers would never actually want to be seen in a practical vehicle, so the 2012 Audi A7 hides that utility under sleek bodywork.

It's a Small Island
Although it's a five-door hatchback, the 2012 Audi A7 is a preview of what we can expect from the redesigned 2012 A6 sedan — both in size and driving characteristics.

The A7 uses the same chassis architecture as the A4, S4, A5 and S5, but has a longer wheelbase (114.7 inches) and wider track (64.5 inches front, 64.1 inches rear) than any of those cars. At 195.7 inches, it's also a good foot longer than the S5 and a couple inches longer than the current A6. But like we said, the Audi A7 is sleek; at 55.9 inches, it's only 2 inches taller than the S5 and most definitely not of the crossover persuasion — a BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo this is not.

The A7 is also fairly lightweight for its size. Audi says it weighs 4,100 pounds — same as the last A6 we tested. Although the unit-body is primarily steel, 13 percent of it is the lighter, high-strength variety. Audi used plenty of aluminum, too, saving an estimated 150 pounds, officials tell us. The hood, front quarter panels, doors and tailgate are all aluminum.

Most of the roads in Sardinia are two-lanes lorded over by fearless locals, and the 2012 Audi A7 manages just fine. It has that wonderful quality of shrinking around you as you drive it, and it feels at ease going through tight corners. Our test car has the optional adaptive air suspension, which allows you to tailor the damper maps in the Audi Drive Select menu, in addition to drivertrain response and steering weight. In the most aggressive "Dynamic" suspension setting, the ride height is lowered by up to 0.8 inch. An optional S line sport suspension (with steel springs, rather than air) will be sold separately for those who prefer to drive around with the lowered ride height all the time.

With its vast usable torque, the supercharged V6 would be content with half as many forward gears.

The electric-assist power steering still feels a little off to us, as in the A4 and S5. The precision and feel you get with hydraulic-assist setups isn't quite realized here. The "Dynamic" setting adds heft to the wheel, but doesn't actually improve the act of steering the car.

Maybe the biggest surprise during our drive is the ride quality. Audi will offer a range of wheels from 18-20 inches in diameter on the 2012 Audi A7. Our test vehicle has 20s mounted with 265/35R20 99Y Yokohama Advan Sport summer tires, and somehow it still finds the sweet spot between control and compliance. Mind you, the Sardinians seem to have spent plenty of the revenue from the Russian tycoons on maintaining their roads, so we'll have to test an A7 in Southern California before we deliver a verdict on ride quality.

This Engine, Not This Transmission
The Europeans will get their diesels, of course, but in the U.S., the 2012 Audi A7 will come with just one engine (unless you count the S7): Audi's gasoline-fueled, supercharged and direct-injected 3.0-liter V6. Still carrying the misleading "3.0 TFSI" badge (misleading, because it's not turbocharged), this V6 will be rated right around 295 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque in the 2012 A7.

Our European-spec test car has the automaker's S tronic seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission, but U.S.-spec models will use the ZF-developed eight-speed automatic transmission exclusively. Audi's German product managers tell us that they feel Americans will prefer the smoothness of a real automatic. However, the seven-speed S tronic is as smooth in its automatic modes as any dual-clutch gearbox we've ever tried. So the decision here is likely more about consistency, as Audi has announced plans to use the eight-speed automatic on every U.S. model except the A3.

With its vast swath of usable torque, though, the supercharged V6 would be content with half as many forward gears. All 325 lb-ft are available from 2,900-4,500 rpm, and the power doesn't show any signs of dropping off by the time you hit the engine's 6,500-rpm redline. Audi estimates the S tronic version of the A7 3.0 TFSI will hit 60 mph in the mid-5-second range, and we'd guess the American version won't have much trouble cracking 6 seconds, either.

Quattro all-wheel drive is standard on all Audi A7 3.0 TFSI models, and it's identical to the setup on the RS5, where you have a couple of clutches for front-rear torque vectoring on the fly. In perfect traction conditions, 60 percent of engine torque goes to the rear wheels. A rear limited-slip differential will be offered as an option.

We have few opportunities to stop on Sardinia, where there are 50 roundabouts for every traffic light, but when we do, the engine in our A7 tester shuts off. All European models will have this fuel-scrimping start-stop feature, but no U. S. models will.

"With start-stop, there are several implications on the comfort side for the customer, and it's something we thought U.S. customers would not be too thrilled about," Sebastian Mackensen, Audi's head of sales and marketing for the Americas, tells us. "On a car with a stylish design and a lifestyle orientation, we didn't think it was the right time to launch this."

Seats and Timber
Sitting in the 2012 Audi A7 is a lot like sitting in the new A8, as all the same technology is at your disposal. The navigation system calls up Google Earth images, and the pad for Audi's MMI Touch interface, where you can use your finger to spell out a destination or phone number, is on the console. And like the A8, the Audi A7 becomes a mobile WiFi hotspot when you insert a SIM card into the appropriate slot in the dash; you'll need to buy a pretty robust data plan from your wireless provider, of course.

It's a lot of technology to negotiate, but simple tasks like setting the climate control or hooking up an iPod via hard USB line remain simple in the 2012 A7. Expect a lengthy options sheet, with everything from a head-up display to a car-parks-itself-for-you system.

Because Audi plans to market the A7 as a coupe, the seating layout is for just four and the car will launch as a four-seater even in the U.S. There's definitely room for a third seatbelt in back, though, and Audi of America officials tell us they're pushing for a five-passenger version. Adults will fit in back just fine, provided they're not much over 6 feet, as the fast roof line noticeably limits headroom. Cargo capacity figures are European measurements, so they're a bit lower than typical U.S.-spec SAE figures: 18.9 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 49.1 cubic feet when they're folded.

Furnishings are high in quality, as you would expect in a car that will start around $60,000 in the U.S. As always, there are several wood options; our favorite is the layered oak, which has a genuine weathered look to it. It's a delayed option in Europe but should be available in the U.S. at launch.

A Small Niche
Audi is trying to carve out yet another niche in the luxury car segment — the luxury five-door hatchback. It doesn't need to be a big niche, as the automaker only plans to sell us 7,000 A7s in a full year.

If the 2012 Audi A7 was just a utility play, though, we'd be highly doubtful about its prospects in the United States. We Americans do not like hatchbacks unless they're pretending to be something else.

The A7 is pretending to be a coupe, and a particularly graceful one at that. It looks better than most luxury sedans, and it drives like a big A5. It may not be elite enough for the millionaires sunning themselves on Costa Smeralda, but it's the classiest car in the Audi lineup.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

That wood is
Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
any full on imgs of that wood?

some of the exterior shots of this car are disturbingly ugly, depending on the angle. i said the same about the CTS Coupe until i saw one on the road....guess the A7 will be a "wait and see" like all of these new unprecedented designs.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

The exterior of that car may be polarizing but that interior is just
Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
^Agreed. I'm not impressed with the outside of the car whatsoever.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I don't know what you guys are smoking. That exterior is hot and classy.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM

The yacht wood looks alot better here than in the Panamera.

also the back reminds me of the Estoque
Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I'm not saying I don't like it. I was just saying that everyone would probably like the interior.

I think the car needs flared fenders and the 500hp V10 that would come with the RS7. Then it'd be the car the Panamera should have been
Old 09-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

you think "everyone" is going to love this ^^^ ???? No way.

IMO, a real world viewing will probably sway many doubters. HOWEVER, audi has a lot more creativity and design cues in their toolbox - this exterior could be better. that said, the A7 was Audis time to shine in the sedan coupe market. this car should be a homerun to not only surpass the CLS, but also compensate for Audi's YEARS of absence in the market.

do i think an (apparently controversial) exterior and underwhelming engine achieve Audi's goals (stated above)? Most likely not. Is the A7 THAT bad? No. But then again, i expect it to be as good as a proven second generation CLS, which it's not.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 09-14-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

more photos of the S7

Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Interior is gorgeous, the exterior, not so much.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Hot
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
this thing is just awesome. remember when you had FWD and short front overhangs, Acura?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

autoexpress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW43DCr1z0c
Old 09-25-2010, 02:02 AM

this car looks ALOT better lowered in white with 20" rims

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="505" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NLN1XHlfUEM" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 09-25-2010, 03:37 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
It looks nice, but the rear is too awkward looking. Reminds me of a Jensen Interceptor or something.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:53 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
the rear looks like the current gen civic sedan
Old 09-25-2010, 03:53 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
and that's not a good thing
Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 AM

you probably wont agree with me but im bored

look at the red highlighted character line they both share (it should be obvious on the lambo)

the taillights are just elongated

the trunk outlines are the same (convex & have a lip at the top)

they cut off at the tail end sharply

the bumpers are different though...
the lambo just looks like its on steroids & has more vents and dents..

the main issue i have with this car are the headlights. they were so much more aggressive on the concept.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
That interior is a showstopper, my God is it ever stunning! The exterior design will definitely take some time getting used to especially the rear.

The stance of the car reminds me a bit of my Q7, it looks like the rear is sitting down, ready to pounce.

Last edited by nokiaman; 09-26-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Autocar

Audi’s hot new S7 is set to be powered by a new twin-turbo V8 engine, Autocar can reveal.

The new 4.0-litre engine is expected to produce around 550bhp in the S7 when it reaches showrooms next year.

The engine has been co-developed with Bentley and will also feature in the new Continental GT in 2012; both cars will be all-wheel drive.

The Audi S7, pictured here in these undisguised spy pictures, will get a whole host of styling changes over the standard A7 range it is based on.

These include larger alloys and brakes, a sportier front bumper with larger air intakes and quad exhaust pipes.

Audi is also planning an even more powerful RS7; this is expected to use an upgraded 580bhp version of the 5.2-litre V10 engine found in the R8 mated to Audi’s new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^ To be honest I don't believe in 550hp for the S7 as I didn't believe in 400hp as somewhere was told one week ago.
An hotter RS7 with only 30hp more, make no sense.
Something between... around 450-500hp looks more realistic.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, a little less than 500 HP sounds reasonable, taking into consideration that the S5 has about 100 less HP than the RS5, and the same is true of the S4/RS4.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I kinda want one.

2012 Model Base Price
A7 3.0T quattro (Tiptronic) Premium $59,250
A7 3.0T quattro (Tiptronic) Premium Plus $62,870
A7 3.0T quattro (Tiptronic) Prestige $65,580

Standard Equipment Highlights: quattro all-wheel-drive 18” wheels with all-season tires Xenon plus headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights Leather seating surfaces 4-seat configuration with folding rear seats Power, heated front seats with driver lumbar support Automatic power tailgate Audi drive select SIRIUS satellite radio Audi Music Interface Bluetooth telephone and music player connection Homelink Keyless go Power sunroof 3-zone automatic climate control Automatic headlights with light/rain sensor

Premium Plus includes: 19” 10-spoke wheels with all-season tires MMI navigation plus with MMI touch and Google Earth Audi Connect with 6 month complimentary data trial period
(see last page for additional Audi Connect product details) Front and rear parking sensors and rearview camera 7” Driver Information System and 8” MMI screen HD Radio, CD changer and Jukebox

Prestige includes Premium Plus items and: S-line exterior (bumpers, grille) BOSE surround sound system Advanced key 4-zone climate control Ventilated front seats Adaptive headlights and cornering lights Power adjustable steering column Ambient lighting plus (LED interior lights)

Optional Equipment Highlights:

Innovation Package: LED headlights Audi pre sense plus Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go Audi side assist Head Up Display Night vision assistant

Sport Packages: 19” or 20” wheels with performance tires Sport suspension 3-spoke sport steering wheel
Driver Assistance Package: Audi pre sense plus Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go Audi side assist

Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System (similar to A8 D4): 15 speakers including subwoofer and center speaker Acoustic lens emerging tweeters Speaker covers are polished aluminum
Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,407 Posts
went to the Vancouver Auto Show today... this is an absolute eye candy in person!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts

Quick Reply: Audi: A7, S7, RS7 News