Audi: A6, S6, RS6 News

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
The day the RL even gets invited to that party will be a seminal day in history for the Acura faithful. IMO, the odds of that ever happening are very low...and that's too bad.
RLX will be the fastest and most fuel efficient combination of luxury sedan anywhere in the world.Handling will be not be worse than S6 as S6 pulled only 0.87g in C&D. RLX should match it with all season setup with 19inch & tall side walls. There will be no compromise on ground clearance either.
so it is combination of comfort and handling will also exceed any thing else.
7 speed (consider it equal to 9 speed of other manufacturers), DI+Hybrid electric, SH-AWD and TSX inspired shape,LED energy. This is the best combination.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
RLX will be the fastest and most fuel efficient combination of luxury sedan anywhere in the world.Handling will be not be worse than S6 as S6 pulled only 0.87g in C&D. RLX should match it with all season setup with 19inch & tall side walls. There will be no compromise on ground clearance either.
so it is combination of comfort and handling will also exceed any thing else.
7 speed (consider it equal to 9 speed of other manufacturers), DI+Hybrid electric, SH-AWD and TSX inspired shape,LED energy. This is the best combination.
Dude...if I'm in the market for a FAST and LUXURIOUS sedan? I could give a rats @$$ on fuel efficiency. Put it this way, when I bought the FX, I did not care about how much gas it cost. I just cared that it had the features I wanted and it was fast.

So, not sure what demographic you're thinking of that would want fuel efficiency if they are about to pop $80K+ on a car.

And lastly...no offense? But, having the RLX in the same conversation with the M5, S6, and E63 AMG is an insult to the latter 3 cars. If there are Japanese cars that have a shot at being in the same tier as those Germans, it'd be coming from Lexus and Infiniti (i.e. Lexus GS and Infiniti M)...
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Dude...if I'm in the market for a FAST and LUXURIOUS sedan? I could give a rats @$$ on fuel efficiency. Put it this way, when I bought the FX, I did not care about how much gas it cost. I just cared that it had the features I wanted and it was fast.

So, not sure what demographic you're thinking of that would want fuel efficiency if they are about to pop $80K+ on a car.

And lastly...no offense? But, having the RLX in the same conversation with the M5, S6, and E63 AMG is an insult to the latter 3 cars. If there are Japanese cars that have a shot at being in the same tier as those Germans, it'd be coming from Lexus and Infiniti (i.e. Lexus GS and Infiniti M)...
I'm getting a Genesis R-Spec 5.0 before I'm getting a RLX. And what a stupid name.
ttribe (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts

Wasn't he on an Acura bash the last 8+ months? Looks like he flip flopped again.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Safety Car

fuel efficiency are t important thing when your driving luxury sedans in 120 degree F heat with full blown AC moving over 100mph in places like Middleast & North Africa. You dont want to stop in that heat too often. This is now true for India/China and too certain extent US/Southern Russia. why do you think there is 24gallon tank in A8? There are diesel version that can go 1000 mile on a tank.

There is nothing special in M5/S6/E63. Just turbo charge the 3.7L TL-SHAWD with 6MT and HPT tires.the end result will not be different. THis is without even lowering the car.
Special car is that new A8 that normally aspirated 370bhp is as fast as turbo charged BMW 550 despite A8 having 20inch rims.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...c51c44ee29.pdf
http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...2080f198e6.pdf

now add electric torque to those 370bhp with much better aerodynamic efficiency. you get RLX.
If they bring weight of RLX to near TL-Sh-AWD. you have car that will be way faster than TL just by power alone with much better aerodynamic efficiency.
which is possible with new 3.5 V6 and light weight materials. although hybrid will add weight. Honda claims they have created world lightest 1.6L diesel engine. there is reason to believe that next generation of Honda V6 will be light.
This RLX is miles ahead of GS/M. This time you have to trust Honda execution.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...a_rlx_concept/
What Lies Beneath
That smaller stature, along with extensive use of aluminum, should translate into a lighter car. Acura won't provide specific figures at this point in time, but it does note the 2013 RLX should weigh "well under 4000 pounds." If so, that's a significant change from the 2012 RL: base models tip the scales at just over 4000 pounds, while loaded models are north of the 4100-pound mark.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
fuel efficiency are t important thing when your driving luxury sedans in 120 degree F heat with full blown AC moving over 100mph in places like Middleast & North Africa. You dont want to stop in that heat too often. This is now true for India/China and too certain extent US/Southern Russia. why do you think there is 24gallon tank in A8? There are diesel version that can go 1000 mile on a tank.

There is nothing special in M5/S6/E63. Just turbo charge the 3.7L TL-SHAWD with 6MT and HPT tires.the end result will not be different. THis is without even lowering the car.
Special car is that new A8 that normally aspirated 370bhp is as fast as turbo charged BMW 550 despite A8 having 20inch rims.

now add electric torque to those 370bhp with much better aerodynamic efficiency. you get RLX.
If they bring weight of RLX to near TL-Sh-AWD. you have car that will be way faster than TL just by power alone with much better aerodynamic efficiency.
which is possible with new 3.5 V6 and light weight materials. although hybrid will add weight. Honda claims they have created world lightest 1.6L diesel engine. there is reason to believe that next generation of Honda V6 will be light.

What Lies Beneath
That smaller stature, along with extensive use of aluminum, should translate into a lighter car. Acura won't provide specific figures at this point in time, but it does note the 2013 RLX should weigh "well under 4000 pounds." If so, that's a significant change from the 2012 RL: base models tip the scales at just over 4000 pounds, while loaded models are north of the 4100-pound mark.
Oh sure just add a turbo. Then you talk to acura and have them do that for us.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
There is nothing special in M5/S6/E63.
Ever driven one?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Oh sure just add a turbo. Then you talk to acura and have them do that for us.
Acura already created world fastest turbo charged 4cylinder 5speed RDX SUV almost 7 years ago. Implementing turbo charger is not hard compared to this complex hybrid electric drive train.
GS450h has CVT lacks SH-AWD & aerodynamics of RLX but still decent performer. Electric power is new choice for luxury. RLX will stand out as the most impressive offering in Honda history. with real performance numbers not pseudo stuff like NSX.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...gs-450h-luxury
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

What Lies Beneath
I disagree. Again, I'll say it: if I'm dropping that $$$$ in a sedan, gas mileage is the last thing I care about it.

And I know I'm not just speaking for myself. Do a look up on market studies for cars in that segment and you will see that amenities, HP, acceleration, and performance are all rated higher than gas mileage.

In regards to the RLX, again, disagree. Acura is not even directly competing against the BMW, Audi, or Mercedes-Benz. And I think you're the only one here who thinks the RLX is "miles ahead" of the Lexus GS and Infiniti M series. As much as I USED to be a big-time fan of Honda products, they have been left behind in the performance and high-end segments.
ttribe (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

I disagree. Again, I'll say it: if I'm dropping that $$$$ in a sedan, gas mileage is the last thing I care about it.

And I know I'm not just speaking for myself. Do a look up on market studies for cars in that segment and you will see that amenities, HP, acceleration, and performance are all rated higher than gas mileage.

In regards to the RLX, again, disagree. Acura is not even directly competing against the BMW, Audi, or Mercedes-Benz. And I think you're the only one here who thinks the RLX is "miles ahead" of the Lexus GS and Infiniti M series. As much as I USED to be a big-time fan of Honda products, they have been left behind in the performance and high-end segments.
As i said your only concentrated on colder regions. THere other places in world that need all this range. thats why you see bigger and bigger fuel tanks despite increased range with more efficient engines/transmission. and now hybrid. these big fuel tanks takes space, create weight and safety issue for the whole design.
This GS/M is not in same class when performance & handling is concerned just by power delivery & transmission alone. not even S6 that can only pull 0.87g will match RLX on all season setup. I am not even going into aerodymanics.
Honda has moved so far in aerodynamics that the new RDX from only 270bhp can reach 0-100mph in 16.5 seconds with highest ground clearance of vehicle in its class. that without modern DI engine torque delivery or forced induction and its AWD system is totally front biased for normal dry pavement.
why shouldnt RLX do the same in 10 seconds?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Acura already created world fastest turbo charged 4cylinder 5speed RDX SUV almost 7 years ago. Implementing turbo charger is not hard compared to this complex hybrid electric drive train.
GS450h has CVT lacks SH-AWD & aerodynamics of RLX but still decent performer. Electric power is new choice for luxury. RLX will stand out as the most impressive offering in Honda history. with real performance numbers not pseudo stuff like NSX.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...gs-450h-luxury
If its not that hard, then why dont they do it? Have you ever driven a AMG, M,S, V version? Honda/Acura have NOTHING that compares. Period! The sheer visceral power of those cars is something that many want and acura just plain doesnt have. Dont even start to try to explain to me about acuras magical cd, or super dooper aerodynamic mirrors, or try to spin it with fictional paper statistics.
ttribe (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,814 Likes on 3,732 Posts
If its not that hard, then why dont they do it? Have you ever driven a AMG, M,S, V version? Honda/Acura have NOTHING that compares. Period! The sheer visceral power of those cars is something that many want and acura just plain doesnt have. Dont even start to try to explain to me about acuras magical cd, or super dooper aerodynamic mirrors, or try to spin it with fictional paper statistics.
Why go back and forth with that guy? Or any of the fanboys who seem to be infesting A.N. these days?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Ever driven one?
I've never driven one myself, but I'll never claim that those cars aren't special. They are in a league of their own that other manufacturers dream of being included in.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Safety Car

AMG/M/S are pretty minor upgrade when you look at Buggati Veryon, Ferrari Enzo or Mclaren. Do you think Honda cannot do it when it has co developed Jet engine with GE? and iis world first fully carbon fibre aircraft. composite and robotics technology is light years in Japan than what is Italy and Germany.
All these cars have much less techical complexity than Honda and Yamaha (Engine supplier to Toyota) can produce. They just dont want to for business reason. Now they are going to implement electric hybrid with AWD. and it will be much better than old turbo charger.

http://www.compositesworld.com/news/...op-cf-for-cars
Japanese automakers Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. announced on July 24 that they have joined with Toray Industries Inc. (Tokyo, Japan) to develop a new carbon fiber material for use in auto bodies, aiming to mass produce cars that are lighter by as much as 40 percent than steel-built vehicles. The group aims to establish mass production technology for the new material by the middle of the next decade, the Nikkei business daily reported, without citing a source.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 06-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
AMG/M/S are pretty minor upgrade when you look at Buggati Veryon, Ferrari Enzo or Mclaren. Do you think Honda cannot do it when it has co developed Jet engine with GE? and iis world first fully carbon fibre aircraft. composite and robotics technology is light years in Japan than what is Italy and Germany.
All these cars have much less techical complexity than Honda and Yamaha (Engine supplier to Toyota) can produce. They just dont want to for business reason. Now they are going to implement electric hybrid with AWD. and it will be much better than old turbo charger.
Everyone knows that Honda CAN do it, but the problem is that Honda WON'T do it.

We can all talk, discuss, and argue until next year or even the year after. But it still doesn't change the fact that Honda/Acura has no such capable car(s) NOW.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 PM

AMG/M/S are pretty minor upgrade when you look at Buggati Veryon, Ferrari Enzo or Mclaren.
This is one of the dumbest arguments ever.

AMG/M/S are aren't just bodykits and brakes. There's much more to it than that; again I ask YOU - ever driven one?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

AMG/M/S are aren't just bodykits and brakes. There's much more to it than that; again I ask YOU - ever driven one?
Nissan GTR? Nissan Juke-R. what great engineering except what is obvious. that brute bhp and lower centeral of gravity will produce the desired result.

see Nissan GTR being 400lbs heavier and down in torque with 20 inch wheel (19inch on Porsche) still produce identical performance as 180k Porsche at half price. No M/RS/AMG model can match GTR.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

I consider previous RDX and current RDX as much greater engineering marvel despite having less bhp and old style transmission with high ground clearance. they produce excellent performance. because you dont expect those numbers from the specification sheet.

Nissan GTR does not come in super category but LFA does. There is fundamental difference in materials.

Honda is perfectly capable of better than LFA with AWD & hybrid setup in NSX and LFA is much beyond what currently Germans are offering.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/04/2...possibilities/
Ward’s Auto has published an article summarizing Lexus LFA project manager and vehicle materials expert Nobuya Kawamura’s recent presentation at the JEC Composite exposition in Paris, France.

Kawamura talked about the “never-ending process” of the supercar’s carbon fiber development, which ultimately led to Lexus engineers learning multiple techniques for producing several types of the material, including a switch from thermoset resins to thermoplastic resins (the former can be cured once, the latter can be remolded multiple times), which resulted in increased automation and reduced labor costs. As a result, the LFA is 65% carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP), with the remainder largely aluminum.

With the weight savings and unique structural design possibilities offered by carbon fiber (the exterior LFA shell includes design features, such as body pillars, that are only possible through the use of CFRP), it seems likely that such exotic materials will find their way into Lexus models, perhaps starting with the F-marque lineup (maybe with the long-rumored GS F?), or even F-Sport type parts. The future avenues seem quite exciting, to say the least.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

The GTR is a technological masterpiece in what it does to achieve its traction. Its actually a great wonder how it does it. Its not a low center of gravity that does what it does.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 06-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Okay...at this point, I know you're just trying to be comedic. Nice one.

You're almost as bad as my Miami Heat and Apple supremacy myopia.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Nissan GTR? Nissan Juke-R. what great engineering except what is obvious. that brute bhp and lower centeral of gravity will produce the desired result.
As if we needed any more evidence that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

As if we needed any more evidence that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

At this point, we know he's just being sarcastic/snarky.

Argument over. Like I said, it's like my Miami LeHeat comments about them winning the next 234134120412047821094708214 Titles.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM

At this point, we know he's just being sarcastic/snarky.
I believe the colloquial term is "trolling."
crazyasiantl (06-17-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Thumbs up Seats are ugly. Apart from that..

Last edited by MTEAZY; 12-04-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
omagerd!!! errrresssixxxx arvant
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Not feeling it.....
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
brahs be jelly

Interesting they chose a torque-converter auto over a DSG. I suspect the auto can handle more torque.

In the new Audi RS6 Avant, the twin-turbo V8 delivers confidence-inspiring power in every driving situation from its displacement of 3,993 cc. Peak output of 412 kW (560 hp) is reached between 5,700 and 6,700 rpm, with a constant 700 Nm (516.29 lb-ft) of torque available between 1,750 and 5,500 rpm.

Pulling power develops quickly due in large part to the two large twin-scroll turbochargers. They are mounted together with the intercooler in the inside V of the cylinder banks. The exhaust side of the cylinder heads is also on the inside, the intake side outside. This concept allows for a compact design and short gas paths with minimal flow losses.

The RS-specific engine management and unthrottled intake system also contribute to the eight-cylinder engine's spontaneous response. The 4.0 TFSI delivers a sporty, full-throated sound. Switchable flaps in the exhaust system make the sound even fuller, if desired. Audi also offers an optional sport exhaust system.

The powerful twin-turbo V8 accelerates the new Audi RS6 Avant from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in a best-in-segment 3.9 seconds. In the standard configuration, top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155.34 mph). This is increased to 280 km/h (173.98 mph) with the optional Dynamic package. With the Dynamic plus package, Audi reigns in the engine only upon reaching 305 km/h (189.52 mph). According to the European driving cycle, the high-performance Avant consumes on average just 9.8 liters of fuel per 100 km (24.00 US mpg). Among the factors contributing to this figure are the new, standard start-stop system and innovative thermal management. Fuel consumption has been reduced by roughly 40 percent compared to the previous model.

One pioneering efficiency technology in the new Audi RS6 Avant is the cylinder on demand (COD) system. At low to intermediate loads and engine speeds, it shuts down the intake and exhaust valves of cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8. The 4.0 TFSI then runs as a four-cylinder engine until the driver accelerates more strongly again. Efficiency in the active cylinders is increased because the operating points are displaced toward higher loads.

The changeover from four and eight-cylinder operation takes just a few hundredths of a second. About the only thing noticeable to the driver is an indication in the instrument cluster. The COD technology reduces ECE fuel consumption by roughly five percent. Even greater savings of approximately 10 percent are possible when driving at moderate speeds. Active engine bearings use out-of-phase counter-oscillations to compensate for the vibrations that occur during four-cylinder operation.

The 4.0 TFSI is paired with an eight-speed tiptronic featuring shortened shift times. The automatic transmission offers D and S modes. Drivers who wish to shift for themselves can use the shift paddles on the steering wheel or the selector lever, which sports a unique RS design. The lower gears of the tiptronic are tightly spaced for sporty performance, while a tall eighth gear reduces fuel consumption.

At the heart of the quattro permanent all-wheel drive system with torque vectoring is a self-locking center differential with an elevated locking value. An oil cooler regulates its temperature. If desired, the sport differential distributes the power steplessly between the rear wheels to further increase agility and stability.

The new RS6 Avant is the first RS model from Audi to come standard with a specifically tuned air suspension. The dynamic setup of the RS6 adaptive air suspension lowers the body by 20 millimeters (0.79 in). The system combines the air suspension with controlled damping and takes into account the road conditions, the driving style and the mode chosen in the driving dynamics system Audi drive select, with which the driver can influence the function of key components in multiple steps.

Audi also offers the tauter sport suspension plus with Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) as an alternative to the RS6 adaptive air suspension. This system uses steel springs and three-way adjustable shock absorbers that are interconnected diagonally by means of oil lines and a central valve for improved body roll stability. Another option is dynamic steering, which features steplessly variable steering boost and ratios. This system can also be integrated into Audi drive select and, just like the standard electromechanical power steering, is tailored specifically for the Audi RS6 Avant.

The brakes offer uncompromising performance. The four internally vented discs feature a weight-saving wave design with a wave-like outer contour. The front discs measure 390 millimeters (15.35 in) in diameter and are gripped by black, six-piston calipers. Customers can also opt for red brake calipers. Also available as an option are carbon fiber-ceramic brake discs measuring 420 millimeters (16.54 in) in diameter. Their calipers are painted anthracite gray. The electronic stabilization control (ESC) has a Sport mode and can also be deactivated entirely.

The new Audi RS6 Avant comes standard with high-gloss, 20-inch, forged wheels in a seven twin-spoke design. Optional 21-inch cast wheels are available in three versions: high-gloss silver, polished black and polished titanium-look.

The body plays a major role in the handling. It is roughly 20 percent aluminum and includes numerous components made of high-strength steel. The new Audi RS6 Avant weighs roughly 100 kilograms (220.46 lb) lighter than its predecessor. The improved power-to-weight ratio contributes to even better handling with improved performance coupled with reduced fuel consumption.

Last edited by MTEAZY; 12-04-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,494 Posts
Love the front end and the interior. I miss the slightly boxy rear flares though from the last one.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Mmmm do want
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Love everything about it expect the extremely over-sized "quattro."
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
brahs be jelly

Is this any better? (No, not the cool guy with the pointy shoes)

Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
OH MY!!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I'd give my left nut for one of those.

@ those bubble wrap looking seats

Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I'm not feeling the seat inserts as well BUT, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I were in the market for a high end sports wagon.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
They're probably really comfortable though.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
Is this any better? (No, not the cool guy with the pointy shoes)

What guy
MTEAZY (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh and
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Seats leave something to be desired i guess but Lambo uses similar designed seats so i guess if its good enough for lambo its good enough for Audi

Quick Reply: Audi: A6, S6, RS6 News