Audi: A4, S4, RS4 News

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
you know, i agree.

i'm gonna get flamed for this ( ) but i think audi interiors are overrated.

in terms of design and overall look, i prefer acura, infiniti, and lexus interiors. now quality of the interior may be a different story. but when i hear people say that audi interiors look amazing, i'm always asking myself why.

however, when a picture of the audi interior is next to a picture of a bmw's, the audi looks soooo much better. ie the m3 and s5 photoshoot that was posted in one of the other threads.
Me too. Every time someone says Audi interiors are great, I just my head and think "why?" I honestly don't get it. They just look so "blah" to me.

It's too bad, because I always find the exteriors so nicely done.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Check this out, 10 pages of info and lots of pictures:
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_3471.shtml

The interior does nothing for me (although I'm sure the quality of the materials is top-notch so it probably looks a lot better in person) but the exterior more than makes up for it. Gotta love that LED strip in the headlights.

The most brilliant thing they did was shorten the front overhang by moving the engine back.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Me too. Every time someone says Audi interiors are great, I just my head and think "why?" I honestly don't get it. They just look so "blah" to me.

In terms of ergonomics and execution Audi is among the best (if not the best) interiors.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

BTW, are we looking at a S-Line A4 or what?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wtf I thought that this next Audi would have a DSG transmission, but in the article it just says six speed automatic.

Any word on the DSG?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really don't "get it?" This interior is awesome, IMO.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ it's nice, but personally, i don't think it looks that great.

i agree that the quality of materials makes it look nicer in person.

but in terms of design and layout, i'll take the g35's interior and even the current TL's interior.

but looks are subjective.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
exterior looks too much like a bmw.....
Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by titan

Soooo Hawt!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Originally Posted by dom

Lol looks like a bimmer 3 series crossed with the new Benz c300.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SRK85
Lol looks like a bimmer 3 series crossed with the new Benz c300.
sounds like audi lol
Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by titan

No, I don't "get it." It's ok, but nothing great.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ What's your favorite interior?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
intelligentsia

It looks fine it just needs a lil more wood trim and it will be amazing.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Old 10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
^ it's nice, but personally, i don't think it looks that great.

i agree that the quality of materials makes it look nicer in person.

but in terms of design and layout, i'll take the g35's interior and even the current TL's interior.

but looks are subjective.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

I'll take more silver trim in place of the wood please.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by charliemike
BTW, are we looking at a S-Line A4 or what?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The car is giving me enough wood...don't need more.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ What's your favorite interior?
I'm not sure, I'd have to think about that, because I'm not all that familiar with Mercedes, but I know what BMWs look from pics, and I've been in plenty of American cars and seen pics of them. I guess I'd have to say Acura/Honda is my fave, from what I know I've seen. What I don't like about some interiors is when there are some controls (in above pic's case, the climate controls) are right behind the shifter, and not above where they are easily reachable....they're blocked and are too low, so you have to reach to get to them. Plus, in that pic, the buttons and layout just looks boring and is too low overall - I like it higher up for easy reach. I guess I just go against the grain in this case.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
The car is giving me enough wood...don't need more.

The exterior is definitely hot.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm the Firestarter

No, I don't "get it." It's ok, but nothing great.
I can say exactly what's "not great" about it.

Certain design traits are not modern-looking:
- Big thick border around the driver's area and center console. Thin is in.
- Two big round HVAC controls: this is a throwback to the 80's.
- Air vents, especially center console, look very 80's.
- Big flat slab of aluminum across dash and center console: flat looks old, curved looks new.

Other stuff:
- Steering wheel center looks "chubby".
- Teardrop shapes on guages point away and down. Make me a sad panda, and suggest a direction. It's distracting.

IMO the best interiors are Acura: it makes you feel like you're in a spaceship. The center console cuts across the middle of the car, flowing down and sloping down towards the back of the car gradually. Makes the interior look aerodynamic. The knobs are small. One big knob in the middle is ok, because it doesn't suggest an 80's FM radio or HVAC control. Small knobs are the thing, they suggest modern electronics, and look refined (small details look expensive).

An Acura center console typically looks like a cohesive group, the Audi one looks like a mishmash, not as much cohesion. And it's more vertical than the Acura ones which are more horizontal, so it doesn't look as aerodynamic.

That's my analysis, I know most people are looking for different things and many of these things are not very noticeable if you don't care about them.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I can say exactly what's "not great" about it.

Certain design traits are not modern-looking:
- Big thick border around the driver's area and center console. Thin is in.
- Two big round HVAC controls: this is a throwback to the 80's.
- Air vents, especially center console, look very 80's.
- Big flat slab of aluminum across dash and center console: flat looks old, curved looks new.

Other stuff:
- Steering wheel center looks "chubby".
- Teardrop shapes on guages point away and down. Make me a sad panda, and suggest a direction. It's distracting.

IMO the best interiors are Acura: it makes you feel like you're in a spaceship. The center console cuts across the middle of the car, flowing down and sloping down towards the back of the car gradually. Makes the interior look aerodynamic. The knobs are small. One big knob in the middle is ok, because it doesn't suggest an 80's FM radio or HVAC control. Small knobs are the thing, they suggest modern electronics, and look refined (small details look expensive).

An Acura center console typically looks like a cohesive group, the Audi one looks like a mishmash, not as much cohesion. And it's more vertical than the Acura ones which are more horizontal, so it doesn't look as aerodynamic.

That's my analysis, I know most people are looking for different things and many of these things are not very noticeable if you don't care about them.
Ah, thank you. That's what I was thinking, but couldn't express it. Audi interiors look "old" to me, not modern. The center stack is what always bothers me because it's flat, not sloped. It's old skool.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I'll take more silver trim in place of the wood please.
i prefer silver trim to wood too.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Ah, thank you. That's what I was thinking, but couldn't express it. Audi interiors look "old" to me, not modern. The center stack is what always bothers me because it's flat, not sloped. It's old skool.
Yep. Flat center stacks look old because in the old cars they looked like a separate piece of furniture that somebody stuck in the car. For a modern look you need a curvy, flowing stack that blends into the sides, like Acura does. That's the "cockpit" look.

That's also the thing I don't like about the E90 BMW interiors, they took a flat piece of wood and stuck it across the width of the car. I don't want to feel like I'm in a living room, I want feel like I'm in an F-16!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 PM
intelligentsia

Lol, I'm sorry I don't like aluminum trim. Wood trim is so great looking IMO.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:20 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the Audi interior being overrated on the looks department.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post Audi to bring S-Line A4 to North America...

From Leftlanenews...

Audi has unofficially announced that it will bring the S-Line package to the U.S.-spec A4 when it hits our shores in September of next year. The S-Line package gives the A4 a modest boost in performance without the heavy price tag of the S4.

"U.S. customers won't be shorted when the new A4 comes out," Christian Bokich, Audi of America spokesman, told Edmunds. "We will offer some, if not all [of the S line package], in different bits and pieces. We're still finalizing the [2009] A4 lineup for the U.S. but won't hold back on cool stuff from Germany."

In Europe, the S-Line package consists of a lowered suspension by Quattro GmbH, 18 inch wheels, sports seats and a three-spoke sport steering wheel, all for around $3,000.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CanadianDriver
First Drive: 2009 Audi A4

January 2, 2008

By Tony Whitney

Sardinia, Italy - Every now and again, a new vehicle comes along which prompts the question, "Do we really need a new one of these when the one we can buy right now is about as good as it can possibly be?"

So it is with the latest incarnation of the popular Audi A4, which was introduced to the world's media recently. Despite widespread owner satisfaction with the current model, Audi has completely re-worked its sports sedan, inside and out.

There will be a certain amount of controversy among Audi-philes when the new A4 arrives here during the fall of 2008 as a 2009 model, most of which will almost certainly revolve around the car's size: the new car is larger than the old one in most dimensions.

Quite possibly, the buzz around the A4 will split aficionados into two camps - those who like their sports sedans as compact as possible and appreciated the trimness of the old car, and those who appreciate the 2009 version's greater shoulder and leg room, achieved without any loss of agility or "feel". Even so, the A4 has edged a little closer to its A6 sibling in size and also boasts a level of luxury and convenience which is more A6-like. As an example, trunk capacity is 480-litres - larger than anything offered by its direct competitors.

In its presentations to the media, Audi proudly touted the car's larger size and roominess. The new A4 is 117 mm (4.6 in.) longer and 50 mm (2.0 in.) wider, but the height is just about unchanged. The wheelbase has been upped to 2808 mm, longer than its competitors. Front overhang has been reduced, giving the car a nice aggressive stance on the road.

The new A4 is longer than its two main rivals - the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class - and slightly lower. Under the skin, the new A4 is related to two other Audi products of recent vintage - the S5 and A5 coupes.

It's certainly a handsome automobile and has lots of interesting detailing around the bodywork - including the now-familiar massive black Audi grille, spoiled to some extent by the need for a front license plate in most provinces (and in its German homeland).

You'll spot an A4 in your rear-view mirror by its "necklace" of LEDs arrayed across each headlight unit that serve as daytime running lights. This is a very distinctive feature - at first glance this Audi has the look of some kind of predatory beast bearing down on you. The rear of the car is especially well done with its faired-in trunk spoiler and slimmer taillights.

In Europe, where the car has already been launched, buyers have a choice of five engines, two gasoline and three diesel. A 1.8-litre turbocharged four-cylinder gas engine has 160 horsepower and a 3.2-litre gasoline V6 boasts 265 horsepower. The three oil-burners include a 3.0-litre TDI, a 2.7-litre TDI and a 2.0-litre TDI. Horsepower ratings are 240, 190 and 143 respectively. I managed to get one of the diesels to try - the 3.0-litre unit - and the amount of torque available when booting it out of a tight corner on a mountain road made it a more enjoyable drive than its nearest gasoline equivalent. The 3.0-litre TDI has a whopping 500 nm (369 ft-lb) of torque on tap and will tag the speedo at 100 km/h in just a shade over six seconds. Some of this diesel's prowess comes from a new turbocharger design with variable turbine geometry. According to Audi engineers, this makes for a turbocharger that builds up power freely and spontaneously.

Indications are that, initially, we'll only get the 3.2-litre V6 in Canada, but the 2.0-litre TDI may follow later.

In Europe, of course, if you don't have diesel variants, you don't have a proper vehicle range � and to have a choice of three must be a delight to drivers who prefer this type of power unit. If only our U.S. friends would stop thinking of diesels as smokey, noisy, truck-like powerplants, maybe we'd get a choice of three diesels for our new Audi too. In some European countries, diesel vehicle sales are now topping 70 per cent and rising.

Across the range, there are several transmissions available in Europe - including (truly outstanding!) new six-speed manual boxes, six-speed Tiptronics, and a Multitronic continuously variable unit. Naturally, Audi's legendary Quattro four-wheel drive system is available; in Europe, it's optional on entry-level models and standard with the larger engines. North American A4s will all be Quattro-equipped, at least initially. As before, station wagon and high-performance RS versions of the new A4 will reach us at some time or another.

As with any Audi regardless of sticker price, the interior is right up there in the benchmark class with superb fit and finish, intelligent design and placement of controls, and a general feeling of well being for driver and passengers. Looking around the cockpit of the new A4, it's hard to believe that cars like this owe their origin to the good old BMW 2002 of the 1970s, which is now almost crude by comparison.

The driving position couldn't be faulted, but as with some other Audi products, the sound system needed a bit of manual-perusal before it could be safely operated on the go. This is a widespread fault around the auto business, though some makers are tackling it by coming up with audio control screens that re-create proper dial-and-pointer radios of old.

On the road this new Audi proved to be an assured, confidence-inspiring drive with exceptional handling given its increase in size. Impressive throttle response and very accurate steering added to a rewarding experience behind the wheel. The freeway ride seemed almost as refined as that of the car's large A8 sibling - even at very high speeds.

Whether the A4's increased size and higher level of sophistication hints at a new Audi small sedan for some time in the future remains to be seen. No prices will be announced for quite a while, but think in the 30's somewhere and you'll be in the ballpark for an entry-level A4.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/09a4.htm
Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Team Owner

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=380&bhcp=1
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Pro

geez, 10 amplifiers?!?!?

that thing is gonna be a nightmare for those who want to upgrade the sound system.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM

the new A4 looks really nice, but i really want to see it in person because i'm a little suspect about the new size.

the article says it's edging closer to the A6 in size...so whether that means it just got a little bigger or is now closer to the A6 in size, i dunno.

but i like the wider and lower stance, and i can never get enough of the LEDS under the headlights.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2.html

You can configure the new A4 on the Audi UK site.

I must say they get a lot more choices of options than we do.

The coolest one is choosing to have your car to have no engine descriptive or model label badges straight from the factory.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM
intelligentsia

Bang and Olfausen sound system wow, this car will be amazing.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can I be looking at my new ride in 2011?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2008 Audi A4 Special Edition

From Autoblog...

One of the unexpected Chicago announcements this year is the 2008 Audi A4 Special Edition, an obvious model run-out push in advance of the new A4's arrival. The specialness comes from an extra equipment package that adds value via standard 17" Y-Spoke wheels and, on quattro-equipped models, standard heated leather seats. The Special Editions come with one year of free SIRIUS satellite radio and are powered by the sprightly 2.0 TFSI four-cylinder. Naturally, Audi will happily let you pad the bottom line on the A4 SE's sticker price by further enhancing it with any currently-available A4 options and/or packages (S-Line, etc.). Look for the A4 Special Edition in sedan and Avant bodystyles to arrive at your local Audi dealers by the middle of next month.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Racer

Any expected date for the S4?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nothing special about that special edition
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumchah
From Autoblog...

Hmmm, I need to look into if I can pre-order one of these using their 2.9% financial deals.

Quick Reply: Audi: A4, S4, RS4 News