Aston Martin: Rapide News

Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Fine. I'll drive it. Your loss.
yeeeehh... and i will be on the front passanger seat...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll take it for just under $200k!

someone, give me $200k!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
its hot.

although, if you are considering buying this, you not only have an exorbitant amount of disposable cash to spend on cars, but you are also a car enthusiast, most likely with a few other cars sitting a home, some, or one, of which is a luxo sedan.

there isnt much usable space in the rapide to really have it function as a purposeful sedan anyway.

i coud envision potential buyers sitting in the rapide in the showroom, shrugging their shoulders, saying to themselves, "shit i already have a 80k+ sedan sitting at home", and then walking right over to a coupe. heck, if youre treating yourself to an aston, you want it to be yours, not your family's. the inside of rear cupholders are lined with white stitched leather. and you want to put your kids back there??

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 12-07-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

not to mention, mommy is going to start nagging you to use the freaking thing all the time. there are just so many more reasons to get a coupe instead.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
its hot.

although, if you are considering buying this, you not only have an exorbitant amount of disposable cash to spend on cars, but you are also a car enthusiast, most likely with a few other cars sitting a home, some, or one, of which is a luxo sedan.

there isnt much usable space in the rapide to really have it function as a purposeful sedan anyway.

i coud envision potential buyers sitting in the rapide in the showroom, shrugging their shoulders, saying to themselves, "shit i already have a 80k+ sedan sitting at home", and then walking right over to a coupe. heck, if youre treating yourself to an aston, you want it to be yours, not your family's. the inside of rear cupholders are lined with white stitched leather. and you want to put your kids back there??
not to mention, mommy is going to start nagging you to use the freaking thing all the time. there are just so many more reasons to get a coupe instead.
How narrow minded
Old 12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by (Cj)
How narrow minded
maybe...but what i said was pretty logical.

99 reasons out of a 100 side against purchasing a car like this. but thats not really proving much considering the projected production # is pretty limited. its a niche car. theres very few answers that could justify buying this car, and im having difficulting finding them (other than the exclusivity factor).

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 12-07-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 PM

sure, those that can afford this car may think "why bother when i already have an expensive sedan at home," but i'd think that those consumers wouldn't really care about its lack of funcionality.

those with enought $ to afford this car probably won't use it as a family car anyways, since they'll already have 2 or 3 or 4.

so i can envision uber-rich consumers thinking, "this is a rare car, and i want to be one of the first to be seen in it. i'll take it!"
Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

so i can envision uber-rich consumers thinking, "this is a rare car, and i want to be one of the first to be seen in it. i'll take it!"
agreed. exclusive. but does the argument end there?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOLY MOLY!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM

agreed. exclusive. but does the argument end there?
maybe. but i'm sure there are many reasons that i can't think of because i'm just not part of that demographic.

i guess i'm just saying that functionality and practical purposes are thrown out the window once you get to certain price points. i have no doubt this car will sell.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Motor Authority's first drive impressions: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-martin-rapide
Old 05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Post S Version Being Developed

From Autoblog: http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/05/26/as...ng-in-england/

Word on the street is that Aston Martin is developing a faster, more powerful version of its Rapide four-door, a rumour fueled by new spy shots snapped near the company's Gaydon headquarters in Warwickshire, England. The camouflaged prototype pictured above appears to pack a revised front end and tail, with larger intakes up front and a lip spoiler and reshaped bumper around back.

Underneath the revised fascias, sources expect to find the 510-horsepower V12 from the DBS to upgrade from the DB9-spec 470-hp mill already in place in the "standard" Rapide. Couple this with carbon-ceramic brakes and revised suspension, and the Rapide S is starting to shape up as a real barnstormer.

In short, if the existing Rapide is a four-door DB9, expect the Rapide S to come in as a four-door DBS – suitable for carrying 007 and not just one, but three Bond girls to their next mission or exotic locale.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
yummmy
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2013 Aston Martin Rapide S

Press release...

The stunning new Aston Martin Rapide S is making its debut with yet more luxury and yet more power on offer in its quintessentially elegant four-door silhouette.

The iconic British car maker’s new luxury GT has been sympathetically redesigned andpainstakingly re-engineered to reassert its position as the world’s most beautiful, and beautifully balanced, four-seat sports car.

Aside from the extensive design and engineering improvements, the luxurious new Rapide S – which replaces the outgoing Rapide in markets worldwide – is now even more refined thanks to a range of additions to the four-seater’s sumptuous interior.

Still instantly recognisable as an Aston Martin, of course, the new Rapide S now boasts an imposing and assertive new ‘face’, created by virtue of the impressive and striking new full grille.

Imbuing the new car with an even more sporting, forceful demeanour, the revised front end design is matched at the back by a striking new rear deck profile which includes a more pronounced boot lid ‘flip’. The aerodynamic and aesthetic upgrades both reinforce the sporting nature of new Rapide S and work to counteract lift at higher speeds.

Aston Martin Chief Executive Officer, Dr Ulrich Bez said: “The Rapide S is to me, without doubt, the most beautiful four-door sports car on the market today. This is, very clearly, the power of luxury in action.

“The car’s stunning visual appeal is now matched by a much more powerful and yet more efficient engine – our exceptional new AM11 V12 – which increases massively both the excitement and performance potential of the Rapide S.

“It is a four-door sports car that uniquely combines luxury, style and sporting excitement in Aston Martin’s most flexible and accommodating silhouette. Purity of proportion and exceptional elegance are mixed with truly sensational dynamic performance – this is the four-door sports car in its most versatile form and I am sure our customers around the world are going to love it!”

Engineered to excel

Changes under the new Rapide’s skin are comprehensive, with a version of the new AM11 naturally-aspirated 6.0-litre V12 powerplant delivering unprecedented power and improved in-gear acceleration.

Power from the new engine jumps significantly versus that of its predecessor: up by 17% or a massive 81 PS from 477 PS at 6,000 rpm to a now very substantial 558 PS at 6,750 rpm.

Peak torque increases, too, up from 600 Nm to 620 Nm at 5,000 rpm. Meanwhile an even more marked improvement in torque occurs lower down the rev range, as pulling power rises by more than 40 Nm between idle and 4,000 rpm with an additional 50 Nm available at 2,500 rpm.

Naturally, increases in power and torque lead to even swifter performance as befits a four-door sports car. New Rapide S shaves 0.3 seconds off its 0-62 mph time, which drops from the 5.2 seconds of the current car to just 4.9 seconds for the new model. Top speed climbs, meanwhile, to 190 mph.

The 5,935 cc naturally aspirated V12 boasts race car technology – developments derived directly from Aston Martin Racing’s successful WEC GT campaign – to maximise both performance and efficiency. The new AM11 engine thus boasts fully CNC machined combustion chambers and lighter, hollow, cam shafts.

Dual variable camshaft timing, knock sensing, even the fully catalysed stainless steel exhaust system – these are all engineering advances developed to preserve the V12’s position as a mainstay of the Aston Martin range.

The engine is now even more efficient, too. Despite the very significant increase in peak power and torque, the Rapide S is appreciably more economical than before. CO2 emissions drop by seven per cent – from 355 g/km to 332 g/km – while fuel economy now stands at 19.9 mpg on the official EU combined cycle.

A product of the latest generation of Aston Martin’s world-renowned VH engineering philosophy, which debuted in 2003, the new car of course benefits from many elements of the current Gen4 VH architecture.

The carefully conceived engineering changes continue as the new Rapide now offers even sharper agility and even quicker responses to driver input. The new AM11 engine – a key Gen4 component – has been lowered by 19 mm versus the position of the powerplant in the previous car, with a corresponding reduction in the sports car’s centre of gravity.

The changes also lead to a tangible improvement in front end turn-in – no mean feat for a car that was already acknowledged as a leader in dynamic performance.

Aston Martin engineers at the company’s global HQ in Gaydon have worked to revise the car’s dynamic stability control (DSC) in line with its significant increases in both power and torque.

As befits the more sporting nature of new Rapide S the car benefits from the latest Gen4 iteration of Aston Martin’s hi-tech Adaptive Damping System (ADS). The system now offers three distinct settings: ‘Normal’, ‘Sport’ and ‘Track’, with the character of each being tailored to the nature of Rapide S.

The ADS automatically alters the suspension settings to ensure the driver has high levels of control at all times, with the ability to respond quickly to different driving conditions. The different damping modes help to significantly broaden the character of the Rapide S, adapting its set-up to suit the driver’s precise requirements. Thus it can be a luxurious GT car in Normal mode with the capacity to morph into a more assertive sports car in Sport and Track modes.

The damper settings are determined by an electronic control unit which takes sensor readings from the car’s systems, including throttle position, brake position, steering wheel rotation and vehicle speed. This data establishes the prevailing driving conditions and the demands the driver is making on the car.

Head of Product Development at Aston Martin, Ian Minards, explains: “Growing the power in a luxury sports car is all very well, but maximising control and ‘usability’ of that increased power is, just as much, the engineers’ challenge.

“Balance, poise and control are the keys to a successful sports car and the dynamic improvements we have made with Rapide S showcase our efforts to make this not just the most beautiful, but also the most beautifully balanced, car in its class.”

He added: “Transmission calibration, ADS refinement, braking capability and engine output optimisation are among the many ‘ingredients’ which the team here at Gaydon have used to create a sports car of unerring quality and excitement.”

Meanwhile, as with the new DB9, the new Rapide S achieves compliance with the latest European pedestrian protection regulations courtesy of its innovative new front grille design.

The lowered engine, new bonnet, new front bumper construction and new grille combine to deliver a uniquely innovative approach to pedestrian impact protection.

The patent-pending design – which features a unique ‘keystone’ construction – enables the grille to move rearwards on impact, whilst the central and outboard chin stiffeners give rigidity to the lower structure and support achievement of the leg impact regulations. Cut-outs on the front wing catwalks contribute to the achievement of the headform regulation.

The solution means Aston Martin can remain true to its design ethos, and avoid the use of plastic grilles and nose cone bumpers that stretch up in front of the bonnet.

First class cabin

As luxurious as it is thrilling, the new car now boasts a host of new luxury- or sports-orientated options, allowing buyers to more precisely tailor the car to their specific style.

The new optional Carbon Exterior Pack, for instance, immediately dials up the Rapide’s sporting attitude. Front splitter, rear diffuser, mirror caps and rear lamp infills all fashioned from carbon fibre clearly signal the sporting nature of this 558 PS four-seater.

More pronounced luxury, on the other hand, comes from the new piano black interior pack that adds a deep, rich, mirror-like shine to the facia, transmission tunnel centre plate and door handles of the Rapide S. A darker surround in the instrument binnacle and steering wheel with black horn-push surround round off the pack’s sumptuous additions. Luxurious blend headlinings in either tan or grey emphasise the luxury still further inside.

As would be expected of a modern Aston Martin, handcrafting is the order of the day in the Rapide S with the standard-fit pure glass transmission selector switches in the centre console one small yet important example of the truly authentic, bespoke, nature of the car’s cabin.

However those with a desire for a more sporting ambience in their sports car will not be disappointed. Optional duotone perforated red and black leather makes its Aston Martin debut here – delivering a captivating visual combination that’s unique to the new Rapide S.

Luxury is enhanced by the removal of extraneous ‘noise’ and the enhancement of desirable ‘sound’ – a fine distinction but one that helps the new car deliver an aural experience like no other. Improved NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) characteristics are derived from the likes of the new bonnet lining and revised windscreen cowl.

Flexibility comes in the form of four seats – the rearmost two capable of accommodating adults in a uniquely sporting setting – while at the touch of a button the individual back seats fold down to almost triple the Aston Martin’s load space.

Options to further enhance the luxurious look and feel of the Rapide S include, subject to market, a reversing camera and twin screen rear seat entertainment system with wireless headphones, remote control and six-disc DVD changer.

Those seeking the ultimate in luxury and personalisation can also consider the ‘Q by Aston Martin’ service which offers uniquely-tailored options for individualisation. The Q service focuses on fashioning colour and materials with limitless boundaries precisely to customer choice and specification, enabling owners to give free rein to the creativity and indulge their desire for bespoke luxury.

The new Aston Martin Rapide S will be available to order through the brand’s 146 dealers worldwide next month with prices confirmed closer to the on-sale date.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
The new grille makes this look like some cheap Chinese Aston knock off. Not a good refresh at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Come to Papa!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
The new grille makes this look like some cheap Chinese Aston knock off. Not a good refresh at all.
As a famous AZer I know would say, "Put down the bong."

Sorry, totally disagree!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
So weird to see a car without fog lights.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
The grille is the only knock I have on it, too tall. Otherwise, I like it a lot.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts

I'll stick with the white one... maybe now they'll have discounts on them!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
white one looks much better. the grille on the new one is humongofuglious.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
The grille is the only knock I have on it, too tall. Otherwise, I like it a lot.
I'll stick with the white one... maybe now they'll have discounts on them!
I must admit, I do prefer the old grille/bumper.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
I must admit, I do prefer the old grille/bumper.
What's there to admit? If you have working eyes, you'll be able to tell quickly first glance that the front end is FUGLY!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
The interior is nice to say the least.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
new grill is no bueno.

fords doing a better job with the aston grill, lol
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I like the traditional Aston grill better myself. This is a beautiful ride, but the grill is surprising.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Put it this way: The new grille is essentially the expression on my face if I were in that Aston. So, it's appropriate.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 800HP Electric Rapide in 2 Years...

From here: Aston Martin CEO Says 800-hp Electric Rapide Coming In Two Years

At the Shanghai Auto Show in April, Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer alluded to a possible all-electric version of the Rapide four-door and last week he confirmed it to Automotive News. Speaking at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Palmer said the car would arrive in two years, boast 800 horsepower and a 200-mile range, and feature all-wheel drive to help tame all those ponies. Palmer also said an electric version of the DBX crossover would follow.

For Aston Martin, as well as other high-end automakers, stricter emissions and fuel economy standards may make electric propulsion a fact of life. Palmer explained: “If you want to keep making V-12 engines, then you’ve got to do something at the opposite end of the spectrum.”

Palmer also told Automotive News that an electric car could fill a space that Tesla can't cover. "What Tesla clearly shows you is we haven’t hit the ceiling in terms of price,” Palmer said. “But I think it’s hard, though not impossible, for them as a relatively new brand to keep pushing up and to go into that super premier area.” The offerings in Tesla's current lineup start at about $75,000 and top out below $150,000, and the upstart automaker has announced plans to reach downmarket, not up.

A specific model year or release date for the electric Rapide and DBX haven't been announced, and pricing will certainly come much closer to production. However, Palmer hinted to Automotive News that the electric Rapide would be in the $200,000 to $250,000 range. That's not very newsworthy, given that the current gasoline-powered Rapide starts above $200,000.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
https://www.netcarshow.com/aston_martin/2020-rapide_e/

Aston Martin Lagonda has revealed the final production-ready iteration of its first all-electric production car, with the spectacular Aston Martin Rapide E making its world debut at China's Auto Shanghai 2019 motor show.

Unveiled by Aston Martin Executive Vice President & Chief Creative Officer, Marek Reichman, Rapide E is a pivotal model for the luxury marque. Following the success of previous special-edition models, including Aston Martin Vulcan, the Vanquish Zagato family and DB4 GT Continuation, Rapide E continues to deliver a superior level of performance, craftmanship and exclusivity, while also propelling Aston Martin into the all-electric realm.

The first car to be built at Aston Martin's state-of-the-art St Athan production facility - the brand's Home of Electrification - Rapide E represents a pioneering first step towards achieving the company's wider electrification strategy and the successful fruition of Lagonda - the world's first zero-emission luxury brand. A special edition with a production run strictly limited to 155 units, Rapide E has been developed in collaboration with Williams Advanced Engineering (WAE).

Shown for the first time here in Shanghai today, Aston Martin's design and engineering teams have worked in partnership to extract the optimal aerodynamic performance available from the Rapide's elegant form. Traditional metal vanes give way to a striking honeycomb front grille. With lower cooling requirements demanded of the EV powertrain, Aston Martin's aerodynamic engineers have been given the freedom to optimize the aperture of the frontal area, minimising airflow through the car's body, improving the car's aerodynamic efficiency and increasing range as a result.

A re-designed underfloor streamlines airflow from the front splitter right the way through to Rapide E's new larger rear diffuser - a feature that is now wholly dedicated to aero efficiency due to the removal of the exhaust system required before. The model's forged aluminium aerodynamic wheels - shod with bespoke low rolling-resistance Pirelli P-Zero tyres - have also been re-designed to give greater efficiency, without compromising brake cooling capability. The sum of these changes gives Rapide E's aerodynamic package an 8% improvement over the previous internal combustion model.

Inside and out, Rapide E is equipped with the materials and technology befitting of the marque's first EV model. Gone are the analogue displays of the past. A 10" digital display now sits in their place, delivering all key information to the driver while on the move, including the battery's state of charge, current motor power levels, regenerative performance and a real-time energy consumption meter. Swathes of carbon fibre have been deployed throughout, assisting in delivering the strict weight targets set by Aston Martin's engineering team from the outset.

Extending the experience beyond the car, a dedicated app allows key information from the car to be remotely monitored. This powerful dashboard displays remaining range, battery status, and time to charge, as well as allowing navigation destinations to be sent from the app to the car for easy route planning. The car's parking spot can also be seen via the app, with walking directions provided to help re-locate it in busy locations. Finally, the health and status of Rapide E can also be tracked from the app, providing reminders such as when a key service is due.

Throughout the development process, the combined AML/WAE engineering team first focussed their efforts on finding packaging solutions for the battery system and motors within the Rapide's architecture before working to achieve effective cooling of the batteries and motors.

Aston Martin Rapide E is powered by an 800V electrical architecture battery - encased in carbon fibre and Kevlar casing - with a 65kWh installed capacity using over 5600 lithium-ion 18650 format cylindrical cells. This bespoke battery pack lies where the original 6.0-litre V12, gearbox and fuel tank were located, with the 800V system allowing for more efficient charging and greatly improved thermal characteristics over existing electrical architectures. This battery system powers two rear mounted electric motors producing a combined target output of just over 610PS and a colossal 950Nm of torque.

Aston Martin Rapide E's range is over 200 miles under the Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP), while the model is capable of charging at a rate of 185 miles of range per hour using a typical 400V 50kW charger. However, the car's 800V high-voltage battery system enables faster charging of 310 miles of range per hour, using an 800V outlet delivering 100kW or higher. For destination charging, the car also features an industry-leading high-power AC on-board charger capable of recharging the battery in as little as 3 hours.

Top speed for Rapide E is 155mph, with a sub-4.0 second 0-60mph time and a 50-70mph time of just 1.5 seconds. These figures are not restricted to a narrow window of battery charge or climatic conditions, instead, thanks to the cutting-edge 800V architecture, the Rapide E will deliver its performance in a consistent and repeatable way as would be expected from a traditional Aston Martin product. This includes the ability to drive a full lap of the Nürburgring with no performance derating of the battery or the motors.

Aston Martin Rapide E also enhances the feel, character and delivery of the V12-engined recently acclaimed Rapide AMR, thanks to careful attention paid to the tuning of both the electric powertrain and the chassis across three driving modes - GT, Sport and Sport + - which are selected for both the powertrain and handling. The rear-wheel drive Rapide E's twin electric motors drive through a Limited-Slip Differential, which combined with a revised spring and damper rates, ensures the pure handling characteristics of the petrol-powered Rapide AMR are retained.

Speaking ahead of Rapide E's Shanghai debut, Dr Andy Palmer, President and Group CEO, Aston Martin Lagonda, commented: "Unveiling the Rapide E will be a huge moment for Aston Martin. As our first all-electric production car, it is a truly historic step. One that signals Aston Martin is prepared for the huge challenge of an environmentally responsible and sustainable future. As a car company we cannot afford to passively allow that future to come to us; we have to actively chase it. Only by doing this can we learn and prepare, but also preserve those things we love as drivers and car enthusiasts. That's why it was so important to me that in embracing EV technology we should not let go of those unique qualities that define an Aston Martin. I believe Rapide E embodies that desire and paves the way for a hugely exciting future."
The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
ttribe (04-17-2019), Yumcha (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator