Alfa Romeo: Brera news **Italia Independent Version Revealed (page 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfa Romeo: Brera news **Italia Independent Version Revealed (page 3)**

http://www.autoweek.nl/

Oh noes... it's even better then the concept...

I want it!!!

Junkster, who has the press release
Old 01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Teh ?

These are the first official images of the Alfa Romeo Brera, the marque's new flagship sports coupe which will be unveiled at the 75th Geneva International Motor Show next month.

Two models will head the launch, namely the 2.2 JTS with 185 bhp and the 3.2 V6 Q4 with 260 bhp. The Q4 will have central and rear TORSEN-C differentials, for permanent rear-biased all-wheel drive.

It was three years ago when the Brera, designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, was revealed at the Geneva Salon. From that point forward the car received an exceptional amount of interest, so much so that Alfa Romeo had no other choice but to take as much of the concept and put it into production.

The original concept even won the prestigious Concept Car of the Year Award, an award also representing the US market, a country where Alfa Romeo hopes to return to in the not so distant future.

At a first glance, the production Brera seems to be a carbon copy of the original design, but this is not the case. The car is longer, higher and narrower, measuring 4.411 mm long, 1.369 mm high and 1.830 mm wide respectively. The Brera’s wheelbase measures 2.528 mm.

As could be anticipated, some of the concept’s most exciting features have not made it into production, the most obvious being the scissor-style doors which have been replaced by conventional doors hinging off the A-post. The baguette-style rear optical units have also increased in size along with the hatchback opening. Despite this, the car still retains a lot of the original details, including the tinted glass roof and the striking projector-style xenon headlamps.

Alfa Romeo are profiling the car as a 2+2, but the new coupe appears to be more usable than the old GTV with more rear headroom and boot space. The Brera’s boot space amounts to 240 / 550 litres, depending on the foldable rear seat positions.

The Brera will be launched throughout the European market during October and November once production starts in September. European prices are expected to be around € 32.000 including VAT for the 2.2 JTS and € 39.500 for the 3.2 V6 (AWD). Despite this, the car will come with a long option list in order to keep the base prices affordable.

Models following the launch will be the 200 bhp 2.4 JTD (March 2006), the 250 bhp 3.0 JTD (May 2007) and the 400 bhp Biturbo 3.2 V6 Q4 (October 2007). A Spider version will follow shortly after the launch of the coupe, and will be built by Pininfarina. The soft-top Spider will be slightly shorter in length (4.394 mm), 1 mm higher and will have a fixed boot capacity of 240 litres.

Next in the line of Alfa Romeo news, imminently, is the hotly awaited Alfa 156 replacement, the Alfa 159.
info: italiaspeed...

400 ponies... eesh.

Junkster, whose found a new dream Alfa (former was the GT)
Old 01-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Alfa =

I love the Alfa Romeo styling. The 156 GTA is hot!!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:46 AM
goldmemberererer

By the time we see it on streets here, my lawnmower will have more power.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Racer

I Love thos alfa 156s
Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
More info, courtesy of Rsportscars.com

======================

The new Alfa Romeo Brera is to make its international public debut at the 2005 Geneva Motor Show in March, the same venue that was chosen for the first public appearance in 2002 of the original Giorgetto Giugiaro designed concept car, which went on to gain international acclaim.

Due to go on sale by year’s end, the new Alfa Romeo Brera encapsulates those characteristics most synonymous with the brand – sportiness and elegance – in a unique and exclusive style. The Brera’s shape and size, allied to the engineering and driveability of an Alfa Romeo, makes for a car which is beautiful.

Brera is a 2+2 of generous dimensions: 71.4 inches wide, 172.1 inch in length and 53.5 inches high, although the deeply tapered front and rear styling creates the impression of a very compact car. The interior has an ambience that is both intimate and sophisticated. This comes from the use of high quality materials and the introduction of some novel ideas such as the wide fixed glass roof that creates more natural interior light for passengers, adding to the sensation of spaciousness inside, while also giving the car a streamlined exterior appearance.

Available in three levels of trim, Brera also offers customers a choice of a 2.4 JTD 200 bhp turbodiesel power unit, and two petrol engines (185 bhp 2.2 JTS or 260 bhp 3.2) coupled to either an automatic transmission or a 6-speed manual gearbox depending on the version.

Together with all the features one expects in an Alfa Romeo, this new car delivers dynamic performance thanks to the use of quadrilateral front suspension and Multilink rear suspension. Comfort is enhanced by the integral Alfa Q4 traction control system installed in some versions. Brera offers electronic systems to monitor and control key dynamic parameters of braking and roadholding to deliver greater driving safety.

This then is the essence of the new Brera, a car that Alfa Romeo expects to create much interest, a coupe that promises both a great driving experience and comfort.

2006 Alfa Romeo Brera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Specifications:

Engine
Type: V6
Displacement cu in (cc): 194 (3179)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 260(194) / n.a.
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: n.a.
Redline at RPM: n.a.

Brakes & Tires
Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/disc
Tires F-R: n.a.
Driveline: All Wheel Drive
Exterior Dimensions & Weight
Length × Width × Height in: 172.1 × 71.4 × 53.5
Weight lb (kg): n.a.

Performance
Acceleration 0-62 mph s: n.a.
Top Speed mph (km/h): 155 (250)
Fuel Economy EPA city/highway mpg (l/100 km): n.a.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Source: autoweek.nl
Old 02-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

For Alfa Romeo's plans for the future here is the thread
Old 02-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

they need to come up with some different headlights and tails. they all look the same. and the alfa grill isn't a looker either.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Teh ?

Man, if the base is 35k US there, I'm thinking 40k here in the US...

I WANT IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!

Junkster, who thinks Alfa needs to get their ass over here
Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Junkster

If Alfa made giant SUVs with 3355.3535L V5000 engines which could only go 2cm per gallon? Then, yes...they'd be here already.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:22 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
they need to come up with some different headlights and tails. they all look the same. and the alfa grill isn't a looker either.
Its brand identity. Personally I am getting tired of the over used 5 point grill that honda/acura and mazda and everyone else uses.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by fdl
Its brand identity. Personally I am getting tired of the over used 5 point grill that honda/acura and mazda and everyone else uses.

I personally think Alfa grills are nice. And yes, that five-pointed shield is getting old. I'm looking for a company to go with the no-grill look that the old Q45s or the old Passats used.

Junkster, who thinks Alfa could sell in US markets now
Old 02-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If this car entered the US market it would be a LOT cheaper than $40K.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's not clear to me if for cars not equipped with AWD, if they would be FWD or RWD. I am guessing RWD. Note that most Alfa's during the past few decades have been FWD cars.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by gavriil
If this car entered the US market it would be a LOT cheaper than $40K.
With exchange rate for dollar to euro standing as such... along with modifications due to emissions and safety laws in the US, I would bet on a 5k increase.

Junkster, who is dreaming of a sub 23k Alfa 147GTA
Old 02-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

With exchange rate for dollar to euro standing as such... along with modifications due to emissions and safety laws in the US, I would bet on a 5k increase.

Junkster, who is dreaming of a sub 23k Alfa 147GTA
You dont understand. Cars are A TON more expensive in Europe/England. A car like this cant compete here for 40K.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's not clear to me if for cars not equipped with AWD, if they would be FWD or RWD. I am guessing RWD. Note that most Alfa's during the past few decades have been FWD cars.

I guess my skepticism was justified. The car will be FWD which ruins the whole thing here in my opinion. Read article next.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

New Alfa Stunner Is Brer-ing To Go - - By Chris Thorp - - Source: Autoexpress

The world has waited... and waited... and finally it's here. Weeks ahead of its official unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show next month, these are the first official pictures of the production version of Alfa Romeo's stunning Brera coupé.

It's designed to take on the world's best high-performance premium hatchbacks, so expect a breathtaking mix of Italian flair and cutting-edge technology. The newcomer will go on sale alongside the larger GT and replace the ageing GTV. Sticking closely to the original Brera concept, which was first seen at the same exhibition three years ago, the showroom-ready model is certainly a stunner.

From the front, the Giugiaro-styled car wears Alfa's new corporate face, with two sets of three headlamps encased in an aggressive angular grille. The company's legendary shield also takes pride of place, emphasised by the deep creases running up the bonnet to the wing mirrors.

In profile, the influence of the new 147 is clear, with a sharp shoulder line and low side skirts adding a sporty edge. A wide C-pillar draws the eye to the Brera's most distinctive area - the rear. Narrow tail-light clusters reflect the shape of those at the front, while the exhaust pipes come directly out of the muscular back bumper.

The cabin will be trimmed to a luxurious standard, with generous equipment and leather in all but the most basic models. Thanks to its hatch shape, the Brera will offer comfortable seating for four, plus a decent-sized boot. A large fixed-glass sunroof gives an airy feel.

Based on the same platform as the all-new 157, the car is 4.41 metres long, 1.83m wide and 1.37m tall - making it similar in size to the Audi A3. It's named after a famous art academy in Milan, and is intended to appeal to drivers who want coupé performance and thrills with an added dose of practicality.

A choice of three potent engines will give the newcomer the pace to match its purposeful looks. Flagship cars will use the muscular 240bhp 3.2-litre V6 found in the GT, while 185bhp 2.2-litre JTS petrol and 200bhp 2.4-litre JTD diesel models will also be available.

In addition, buyers get the choice of an automatic gearbox or a six-speed manual. Most variants will feed their power to the road via the front wheels, although high-output range-topping editions will come with all-wheel drive for improved traction and handling.

After making its world debut at the Swiss show - which is now only four weeks away - the new three-door will go on sale in Europe by the end of the year. The first right-hand-drive UK cars are likely to arrive early in 2006.

With the GTV gone, the oldest car in Alfa's line-up will be the Spider convertible. It's not yet known when a replacement for the dated two-seater will appear, but a drop-top version of the Brera is thought to be under consideration.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Teh ?

You dont understand. Cars are A TON more expensive in Europe/England. A car like this cant compete here for 40K.
I give you that, but passing emissions and safety adjustments will clock it up a bit...

And if you consider that Alfa will never sell in large numbers (probably less then Acura annual numbers, with comparable line up) here in the states, they would have to adjust the price a bit.

Even back when they were in the States, their little spiders cost about 50% more then a comparable MG.

Junkster, who thinks the Fiat group has much more pressing issues
Old 02-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Junkster, who thinks the Fiat group has much more pressing issues

Fiat is in a world of trouble...

=====================

"Fiat Is In Deep, Deep Trouble"
The company may try to force GM to buy its money-losing auto unit -- or kick in cash

When General Motors Corp. (GM ) Chief Executive G. Richard "Rick" Wagoner Jr. and Fiat (FIA ) group CEO Sergio Marchionne sit down on Dec. 14 to dine after meeting at GM's regional headquarters in Zurich, the question of industrial marriage or divorce will hang in the air. Marchionne insists he still may wield the disputed put option inked by Wagoner and late Fiat Chairman Gianni Agnelli in 2000, a put that would force GM to buy out the loss-making Italian auto maker. General Motors argues that a subsequent recapitalization and asset sell-off at Fiat have invalidated the put. Now the one-year legal truce agreed to by GM and Fiat to find a solution has just lapsed. That means Marchionne could seek to force a union as of Jan. 24, 2005. "He is considering all options," says one Milan investment banker close to the company.

Being forced to buy Fiat Auto is the nightmare scenario for GM. Four years ago, GM and Fiat had just inked a joint venture, and the companies had acquired stakes in each other. As part of the agreement, Fiat group -- which has other businesses besides cars -- got the right to ask GM in the future to buy out the rest of the $27 billion Italian auto company. Agnelli saw the put as insurance in case he could not turn around his beloved auto business. GM, eyeing the 30% share Fiat commanded in Italy, agreed to the put to make sure DaimlerChrysler (DCX ) and Ford Motor Co. (F ) would not snap up its Italian partner.

GM blundered big-time. Three years after the Fiat group skidded close to bankruptcy, stubbornly high losses and expected 2004 negative cash flow of $1.3 billion at the Turin-based car business have raised serious questions about the chances of fixing Fiat Auto. Fiat group, the holding company, will record losses of $1.5 billion this year and will probably need to raise a fresh $1.3 billion next year to pay off maturing bonds. "I wouldn't rule out a liquidity crisis in 2005," says Michael Raab, auto analyst at Sal. Oppenheim in Frankfurt.

A WAY OUT
Marchionne has his back to the wall. If he did force GM to honor the put, it's not clear what he would get for Fiat Auto. Some say the price would be negligible but that GM would be stuck with Fiat Auto's $5.3 billion in debt. Others say Marchionne could reap $4 billion or more if he gets Fiat to break even in a year or so. In either scenario, GM, facing pension legacies in the U.S. and huge losses in Europe, cannot afford an Italian car company. GM executives say privately that they are willing to tie Fiat up in court for years to avoid the put. "We have good lawyers," says one insider. But a long, nasty court battle could disrupt the joint ventures that have saved both companies billions in purchasing and development costs for engines and transmissions.

Is there a way out? One plausible scenario, say those close to Fiat, is that Marchionne persuades Wagoner to inject cash into Fiat in exchange for canceling the put. That could pave the way for an Italian state-owned holding company to participate in a capital increase in 2005. "Fiat is in deep, deep trouble. The government expects to be called in," says a Milan banker, adding that the U.S. auto maker might pony up between $600 million and $1.2 billion to exit the put. One possible glitch: Sources close to GM say that although it may be willing to provide cash, the company does not want to be part of any deal that increases its equity exposure to Fiat.

Whatever form it takes, a final cash injection by GM could yield some advantages for Wagoner. It would avoid a protracted legal battle, which could poison GM's commercial and industrial collaboration with Fiat. Aside from the 10% stake General Motors holds in Fiat, several new models have been designed on joint platforms, including Fiat's all-important third-generation Punto compact, which will be launched in September. The new Opel Corsa will follow on the same platform 18 months later.

A final cash injection would also give GM the opportunity to recoup some of its losses from its Fiat foray -- if Marchionne, a turnaround specialist, achieves a miracle. Auto industry experts say the 52-year-old Canadian, who took over in May following the death of Chairman Umberto Agnelli, has the industrial and management savvy to remake Fiat. The problem is, he is starting practically from scratch and needs several years to pull the feat off. To date, Fiat's efforts to restructure have been hampered by near-constant management turmoil. Since 2002 the company has had three group chairmen and four CEOs at Fiat Auto. "The company has lost three years," says one Italian executive close to Fiat. GM in the meantime has written off most of its investment.

Racing against the clock, Marchionne started this summer by firing Fiat managers who had obstructed change and by bringing in top international auto talent -- another first for Turin. His new team includes Stefan Ketter, the former head of quality at Volkswagen's U.S. subsidiary, and Karl-Heinz Kalbfell, a former BMW veteran and CEO of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Ltd., who will head Alfa Romeo. Marchionne has taken personal charge of Fiat's weak dealer network outside Italy in the rest of Europe. By overseeing marketing and sales, Marchionne hopes to lighten the load for Fiat Auto CEO Herbert H. Demel, a former Audi chairman who is overhauling the auto maker's industrial operations and lowering Fiat's cost base. "Demel, with his engineering background, is the guy to push Fiat in the right direction," says Christoph Stürmer, senior auto analyst at market researcher Global Insight in Frankfurt. Stürmer says remaking Fiat will still take two to three years.

IMAGE PROBLEM
Some better models are finally coming out of Fiat's design and engineering studios. The snappy new $11,000 Panda mini, with its high roof and spacious interior, will exceed sales of 250,000 this year -- 25% higher than the company forecast a year ago. The new Fiat Idea minivan and Lancia Ypsilon subcompact are also helping stabilize sales.

Yet fierce competition from the French, Japanese, and Koreans has kept the company under pressure. Fiat's revenue per car actually dropped in the first 10 months of 2004, despite the new models, and its market share in Western Europe edged down slightly, to 5.5.%. "Their biggest problem is a bad image. This leads to a continuous price deterioration," says Arndt Ellinghorst, analyst at Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein in Frankfurt. To climb back, Fiat will have to pump as much as $1.5 billion more a year into new-model development than the turnaround plan envisions, experts say.

Fiat's fate -- and GM's investment -- depend in large part on the success of the next Punto. The Punto, a top-selling model in Europe that accounts for 40% of revenues, has twice revived Fiat's fortunes before. A hit Punto, combined with serious restructuring, might power Fiat Auto to breakeven in 2006. That's Marchionne's plan. But first he has to have that dinner with Wagoner -- and press a deal on a rescuer who wants out of the rescue business.

By Gail Edmondson in Frankfurt, with David Welch in Detroit
Source: www.businessweek.com
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
That interior is pimp.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by phile
That interior is pimp.
That's the concept... the production interior is standard Alfa.

Junkster, who wonders how that pic snuck in
Old 02-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts

So is that a good or bad thing?

Phile, who's not familar with Alfa interiors.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by phile
So is that a good or bad thing?

Phile, who's not familar with Alfa interiors.
take a look at their website...

It's a like it or leave it kind... kinda roundy everywhere, kinda like Pontiac... but executed much, MUCH better.

Junkster, who personally likes the curves
Old 02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

It was part of the autoexpress pics.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Teh ?

It was part of the autoexpress pics.
I just saw that this morning...

Come to think of it, have they released any interior pics yet?

Junkster, who hopes some of the concept's elements made it into production
Old 02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Yumchah

Fiat is in a world of trouble...

=====================

"Fiat Is In Deep, Deep Trouble"
The company may try to force GM to buy its money-losing auto unit -- or kick in cash

By Gail Edmondson in Frankfurt, with David Welch in Detroit
Source: www.businessweek.com
We have a Fiat Saga thread here
Old 03-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: carspyshots.net forum
Old 06-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Italianspeed.com
Old 06-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

1. This car looks great!

2. The rear of this car looks better than the front to me. And when I consider the price segment, this is one amazingly good looking car.

3. This is what Pontiac should have designed already!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:39 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very very nice
Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 PM
goldmemberererer

I don't think the person who took those pics is an amateur... they're quite good and probably done w/ a DSLR.

Regardless, hot car
Old 06-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow...beautiful. Very, very nice!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Wow that is a fantastic design.

What price class is this going to compete in? Are we talking 911 territory?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
that car is amazing looking. i want one now someone import one.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Drifting

That's one of the hottest looking hatch I've seen yet.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
hot hot hot
Old 06-29-2005, 12:25 AM
goldmemberererer

To make things hotter... droptop on it's way too... (this is a chop)
Old 06-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Masshole

Very nice. I'll take one in black.

Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo: Brera news **Italia Independent Version Revealed (page 3)**