Acura: TSX News

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ We won't see those designs in production for quite a long time.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm a llama :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ That sucks...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ostrich
Yup, I have a feeling that the new TSX will be based on the European Accord (as much as we do NOT want it to be.... sigh...). The main difference probably will be that SH-AWD will NOT be available on the European Accords, whereas the TSX will be with SH-AWD, just like the rest of the new and upcoming Acura line-up. That's my speculation.
The Tsx is the Euro Accord dude, its as simple as that. If the Euro Accord doesn't have awd then the financial reason for a US awd TSX makes no sense. And it will prob be soo low powered, awd would make no sense anyways, haha.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I respectfully disagree

Originally Posted by heyitsme
The Tsx is the Euro Accord dude, its as simple as that. If the Euro Accord doesn't have awd then the financial reason for a US awd TSX makes no sense. And it will prob be soo low powered, awd would make no sense anyways, haha.
I must say that I have to respectfully disagree. Maybe the TSX will have the RDX turbo engine - then there will be plenty of power for SH-AWD! Remember that even the current Euro Accord line up has different engines than the TSX.

Also, remember that there was a rumor at one point that the new TSX will not be based on the Euro Accord? OK, I think it's just wishful thinking at this point, but it's still possible...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura wants to seperate itself from honda in designing hence the new studio in california etc......So why would any of you think they would base the TSX off the Euro accord??

who knows right?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ostrich
I must say that I have to respectfully disagree. Maybe the TSX will have the RDX turbo engine - then there will be plenty of power for SH-AWD! Remember that even the current Euro Accord line up has different engines than the TSX.

Also, remember that there was a rumor at one point that the new TSX will not be based on the Euro Accord? OK, I think it's just wishful thinking at this point, but it's still possible...
I hope and PRAY that the TSX is NOT the vehicle shown @ Frankfurt (Accord Tourer). How can you go from this

to this

The front is eerily reminiscent of Japan's JDM only Honda Odyssey...

The mouth is hideous, the rear taillights look contrived and bland. How could they stray SO FAR from the sleek and sexy Sports4Concept??

I REALLY hope this isn't the TSX we get on our shores...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

ok. would you take this "new tsx" if it came with the models?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
ok. would you take this "new tsx" if it came with the models?
i'll take that sports4 with the blonde, but even if i've only really dated brunettes in my life.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I just do not dig this design, fat rear end and "smiley" front, just doesn't do it for me.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
CTS looks better and better, 4000 lbs and so-so manual not withstanding.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by swift22
Acura wants to seperate itself from honda in designing hence the new studio in california etc......So why would any of you think they would base the TSX off the Euro accord??

who knows right?
We think it'll be based off the Accord again because the studio just opened this past spring, and the new design is coming out in less than a year from now, which most likely isn't enough time for the new studio to produce its own designs. But I bet the 3G TSX and 4G TL will be designed by them.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Even if it is designed in Cali, the platform the car is based upon will still likely be Euro Accord. There is only so much designers can do once given the platform.

It appears that bulbous front overhang is here to stay.

Why can Audi design good looking FWD biased cars (New A5/A4) but Honda can't?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Even if it is designed in Cali, the platform the car is based upon will still likely be Euro Accord. There is only so much designers can do once given the platform.

It appears that bulbous front overhang is here to stay.

Why can Audi design good looking FWD biased cars (New A5/A4) but Honda can't?
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We do not know for sure that the new TSX and the Euro Accord will share a platform. Some of the more recent rumors have all Acura cars growing in size so nothing is certain yet.

And we do know that Mr. Bond, aka jlukja, has see and early prototype at a recent event in LA so perhaps he can illuminate for us if he noticed the ridiculously long front overhang that we see in the pictures.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We do not know for sure that the new TSX and the Euro Accord will share a platform. Some of the more recent rumors have all Acura cars growing in size so nothing is certain yet.
True, but I don't hold much hope.

And we do know that Mr. Bond, aka jlukja, has see and early prototype at a recent event in LA so perhaps he can illuminate for us if he noticed the ridiculously long front overhang that we see in the pictures.
Apparently I missed something??
Old 09-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Apparently I missed something??
Did you miss his post about how he attended a marketing event where they lined up a bunch of TSX competitors and what appeared to be a new TSX prototype, all with badges covered up, and let a bunch of consumers provide feedback?

He said he signed an NDA so he couldn't really tell us anything, but I bet he could at least comment on what he thought he saw.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Missed it.

Very interesting. But I'm sure if he could comment, he would have already. Maybe he could at least tell us how he became involved and what the competitors were.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

Let's all hope the TSX will closely resemble the Sports 4 Concept rather than that atrocity, Accord Tourer. For Acura to compete in this heavily inundated segment, they have to retain the appealing features of the first TSX (sporty looking, handling, gas-sufficient). Of course, a turbo and less weight would be awesome but stick to what made it successful in the first place!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Missed it.

Very interesting. But I'm sure if he could comment, he would have already. Maybe he could at least tell us how he became involved and what the competitors were.
Pretty sure it was a random selection process because I got an invitation as well, though being so far from LA, I could not attend.

As for the competitors, I recall him mentioning an IS, a 3-series, an A4, and a C-class. There might have been others as well.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
One problem I foresee is the pricing. Acura wants to get out of the sub $30K market, so I can see the lowest config TSX at $30K - that would be a $5K (20%) jump in street price over current model. Will the market support that?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
One problem I foresee is the pricing. Acura wants to get out of the sub $30K market, so I can see the lowest config TSX at $30K - that would be a $5K (20%) jump in street price over current model. Will the market support that?
if its worth it for 30k then why not?

i feel its good that they are getting out of the sub 30k market, it really brings up the image of what acura is. i mean before they used to sell a sub 20k car, that in my opinion really hurt their image as a luxury car company.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Racer

You got it biker...Base TSX will be about 30m, but should have SH and a little better giddy-up...T/L will move up with it....G-35 range I guess...I do not follow the MDX but it could be a guide, not sure what it did on price....I will be surprised if the TSX base does not hit 30m. (happy but surprised)
Old 09-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Texas
You got it biker...Base TSX will be about 30m, but should have SH and a little better giddy-up...T/L will move up with it....G-35 range I guess...I do not follow the MDX but it could be a guide, not sure what it did on price....I will be surprised if the TSX base does not hit 30m. (happy but surprised)
If Acura has already stated the next TSX to START around 30k, it begs the question. How can ANY 4 cylinder be 30k?? Both the Lexus IS and Infiniti G start around 30k with potent V6s. Yet putting the V6 in the TSX will eat into the TL's sales. If it looks like the Accord Tourer, it won't matter to me anyways. No way am I buying that iteration...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuner
How can ANY 4 cylinder be 30k??
www.audiusa.com/watch_us_charge_$33k_for_a_4banger.omg
Old 09-20-2007, 02:46 PM

If Acura has already stated the next TSX to START around 30k, it begs the question. How can ANY 4 cylinder be 30k?? Both the Lexus IS and Infiniti G start around 30k with potent V6s. Yet putting the V6 in the TSX will eat into the TL's sales. If it looks like the Accord Tourer, it won't matter to me anyways. No way am I buying that iteration...
and that's one of the problems the rdx is having. many customers aren't thrilled about paying so much for a 4 cylinder suv..especially with gas mileage that isn't so impressive.

but i'd expect the TL's price to increase too so there should still be some room between the two.

and the G and IS will start around 30. but with options, you'll be looking closer to mid-30's. with the TSX, you won't have to worry about pricing after options...well except navi. and that's if acura still keep everything as standard features.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike

Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
so true
Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Race Director

and that's one of the problems the rdx is having. many customers aren't thrilled about paying so much for a 4 cylinder suv..especially with gas mileage that isn't so impressive.

but i'd expect the TL's price to increase too so there should still be some room between the two.

and the G and IS will start around 30. but with options, you'll be looking closer to mid-30's. with the TSX, you won't have to worry about pricing after options...well except navi. and that's if acura still keep everything as standard features.
Please include also why the RL is hurting because no one wants to spend $50K on a luxury car that is only a V6, compared to luxury car V8's for the same price.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Please include also why the RL is hurting because no one wants to spend $50K on a luxury car that is only a V6, compared to luxury car V8's for the same price.
I just don't think Acura went far enough. If they're going to be cutting edge technology then they need more than a 300hp V6. I don't mind it being a V6 but 300hp is barely more than the Accord. That's a real problem.

HP is a large part of the perception. I don't need 500hp. I just want a car that is quick, quiet, and attractive. The RL is possibly two of those things (depending on the person). Just not enough.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I can't find my garage

LOL!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 PM

I just don't think Acura went far enough. If they're going to be cutting edge technology then they need more than a 300hp V6. I don't mind it being a V6 but 300hp is barely more than the Accord. That's a real problem.

HP is a large part of the perception. I don't need 500hp. I just want a car that is quick, quiet, and attractive. The RL is possibly two of those things (depending on the person). Just not enough.
well did acura not go far enough or did honda go too far with the accord? or both?

i agree that the perception of the RL goes down even more with the new accord, which is also longer and wider. but that's expected with a new model competing against its competitors that also grew in size and engine.

we can only hope that acura learns from its mistakes with the RL and improve on them.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mizouse
if its worth it for 30k then why not?

i feel its good that they are getting out of the sub 30k market, it really brings up the image of what acura is. i mean before they used to sell a sub 20k car, that in my opinion really hurt their image as a luxury car company.
I disagree. Not having a large, RWD, V8 powered flagship hurts their image as a luxury company, along with the RL not even being seen as truly credible; not the TSX.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

well did acura not go far enough or did honda go too far with the accord? or both?
I know that Honda/Acura isn't quite the same as BMW so let's look at Toyota/Lexus.

There is a good argument that the Avalon is every bit as nice as a ES350. They certain can cost the same.

But I guarantee that the Avalon never exceeds a GS and of course the LS is a different stratosphere.

Honda's biggest problem as we all repeat over and over is that the RL isn't distinguishable enough from other models in the corporate family.

So, my opinion is that by not going far enough with a RL (and because of that the TL) they have completely obliterated the existing Accord -> RL continuum with the new Accords.

So, that being said Acura is going to have to make the TL and RL exceptional cars because as I see it right now, there's a good case for an Accord V6 EX over a TL today. Dealership experience might tip the buyer towards Acura but honestly I don't know enough about Acura service to know if that's even worth anything.

The 2008 Accord has definitely made the current TSX a hard sell based on what I've seen. I need to see a new Accord in person to know if the interior is as nice as it looks.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by titan
I disagree. Not having a large, RWD, V8 powered flagship hurts their image as a luxury company, along with the RL not even being seen as truly credible; not the TSX.
I concur there. They need to distinguish their models into well defined segments of the luxury market. Put me in charge of Acura and the following would occur.

If the TL (Acura's marquee model) continues to carry a V6, the RL MUST have a V8. If they still choose to not venture into RWD, couple the V8 with SH-AWD and take your chances with the Lexus GS, Infiniti M, BMW 5-series, MB E-class, etc.

Once you establish your flagship accordingly, you establish your entry level car. To do that you retain the 4 cylinder (IS250, BMW 328, etc) and turbocharge it to compete with the big boys (IS350, G37, 335i, C350, etc).

You displace the 4 cylinder to 2.5 liters (gas-saving) and add a turbo (ala RDX) but of course widen gear ratios, concentrate on HP as opposed to the RDX's torque, raise rev-limiter and you got a car pumping out 270 hp, 215 lb/ft, that will run 5 sec 0-60, low 14/high 13 sec 1/4 mi times.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Racer

Why do we bother? Check here for your $30m IS 6: http://www.lexus.com/lexusConfigApp/...tartOptions.do

Here is your $31m + IS 4: http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

Note AWD is higher...like shooting fish in a barrel....Bueno Bye
Old 09-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
It's not necessarily the price that will be a problem but the price relative to the others. The average customer goes into a Lexus, Infiniti or Audi showroom today and sees mot cars on the lot in the mid 30K range and can maybe get 2K off. The same buyer goes into an Acura showroom sees the 29K sticker but can get the car for 26K - a 5K or more difference. Come next year, that difference will be almost gone. A TSX with a 30-31K sticker and no discounts will be harder to sell when down the block you can get an IS, G35 or an A4 for 33K.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 AM

I know that Honda/Acura isn't quite the same as BMW so let's look at Toyota/Lexus.

There is a good argument that the Avalon is every bit as nice as a ES350. They certain can cost the same.

But I guarantee that the Avalon never exceeds a GS and of course the LS is a different stratosphere.

Honda's biggest problem as we all repeat over and over is that the RL isn't distinguishable enough from other models in the corporate family.

So, my opinion is that by not going far enough with a RL (and because of that the TL) they have completely obliterated the existing Accord -> RL continuum with the new Accords.

So, that being said Acura is going to have to make the TL and RL exceptional cars because as I see it right now, there's a good case for an Accord V6 EX over a TL today. Dealership experience might tip the buyer towards Acura but honestly I don't know enough about Acura service to know if that's even worth anything.

The 2008 Accord has definitely made the current TSX a hard sell based on what I've seen. I need to see a new Accord in person to know if the interior is as nice as it looks.
i agree.

but the way i see it, honda/acura's problems are just all over the place. whether it's engine, rwd or awd, models, etc. and these are all discussions that have been brought up many, many times here on azine.

even with the previous accord, there were many customers that were pointing towards the accord over the TL and TSX.

so we can only hope that acura will make the next generation TSX, TL, and RL's exceptional and distinguishable from the accord.

even this week at work, i dunno how many times i heard people (ranging from car enthusiasts to the average joe/jane customer) say the RL looks like the new accord even though the accord just came out.

i do hope acura gets it right.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Racer

The IS 250 with a 6 that performs like the TSX 4 starts at 31M+ but when you add on the extra cost of everthing to bring it to the TSX level of goodies it hits 35m+ with no AWD....the TSX should have SH and all the goodies of the current TSX for the 30m +/-...and hopefully a coupe...my guess for all above...and hopefully we are only 3-4 months from getting the word...
Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

A TSX with a 30-31K sticker and no discounts will be harder to sell when down the block you can get an IS, G35 or an A4 for 33K.

? That all depends on how good or bad the new TSX is. At this point we have no reason to think it will or won't sell based solely on the competitions 33K starting price.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I think the RL is hurting because no one wants to spend $50k on an Acura! Most MB E's are 6 cylinders, most BMW 5 series are 6 cylinders, etc. The vast majority don't want/need an 8 cylinder engine in a mid size sedan. Adding an 8 cylinder option for the RL might help it's image a bit, but that's not the main problem for that car.

Acura's gotta fix their image before they cross that magic $50k mark. Abandoning the sub $30k market is a smart start.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
That's a different question. I agree the RL is not qualified to be the brands flagship. Don't blame that on the RL. Blame that on the empty spot on the show room floor where a v8 200+ inch full size sedan should be parked. I think we blame too much on the RL. It's a great vehicle for where it is positioned. Of course it needs som improvements, but I still say Acura's got bigger issues that, once solved, will partially solve the RL's problems. Fix the brand image to compete in the $50k arena, and, simultaneously, introduce a full size sedan to go head to head with the LS, 750, S, etc.

Quick Reply: Acura: TSX News