Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EmuMessenger
On what are you basing this statement?

I also thought AWD was a little far-fetched, but I am just trying to be optimistic.

The open wheel quote is based on the first spy shots on The Car Concept web page:

"The overall shape is the same as the TL Concept, but it looks even better in real life — especially the racy open-spoke wheels of the production TL, which outshine the concept car’s wheels."

Link - http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6162

VtecMW - Thanks for the scans from Autoweek!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Pro

Hey, also, seems we are feeding info to Autospies, their news letter yesterday gets a quote from our thread and photos from us (I sent the photos, with credit to the orginal web sites, I guess others could have also sent the photos) -

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000166053.cfm

In the article it says from a reader (not me):

"Anyways, I've just heard that the new TL will have an HPT model, 6 spd only and get this, AWD using a version of VTM-4."

We are making history! Good Job everyone
Old 07-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

so this is where everyone went to Any way, someone on VTEC.net said this morning that the HPT model stands for High Performance Tires. As much as I want to believe that the car will come with AWD, I just really can't see it happening. HPT will probably be a wheel and tire package with 18" wheels and sticky tires, giving enthusiasts the tires they've always wanted as standand on Acuras. This would also go a long way to explaining why the HPT package only comes as a manual.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:30 AM
More On

Originally posted by Professor Gascan
so this is where everyone went to Any way, someone on VTEC.net said this morning that the HPT model stands for High Performance Tires......
"Tires"? Doubt it; would be too ho-hum for a trim level to be based on "tires."

But mainly, welcome "back," Prof! And BTW, what's the deal with the "n"?
Old 07-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

Originally posted by larchmont
"Tires"? Doubt it; would be too ho-hum for a trim level to be based on "tires."

But mainly, welcome "back," Prof! And BTW, what's the deal with the "n"?
It was always suppose to be professor gascan, but the site which must not be named wouldn't allow me to have that many letters in my name, so it cut it down to gasca.

I really hope HPT isn't just tires, but it might end up being a sport package similar to a BMW or Audi sport package. But it would be a really surprise if it was AWD.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

so this is where everyone went to Any way, someone on VTEC.net said this morning that the HPT model stands for High Performance Tires. As much as I want to believe that the car will come with AWD, I just really can't see it happening. HPT will probably be a wheel and tire package with 18" wheels and sticky tires, giving enthusiasts the tires they've always wanted as standand on Acuras. This would also go a long way to explaining why the HPT package only comes as a manual.
I'm pretty sure you're right. High Performance Tires, includes the Brembo brakes. I heard it from a Rep. also more like 270 hp across the board in all variations. Motor enlarged to a 3.5.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ender
I'm pretty sure you're right. High Performance Tires, includes the Brembo brakes. I heard it from a Rep. also more like 270 hp across the board in all variations. Motor enlarged to a 3.5.
Well, AWD did seem far-fetched.

Does this mean AWD is definitely out of the picture?
Old 07-11-2003, 11:39 AM
TSX Lover

It was always suppose to be professor gascan, but the site which must not be named wouldn't allow me to have that many letters in my name, so it cut it down to gasca.

I really hope HPT isn't just tires, but it might end up being a sport package similar to a BMW or Audi sport package. But it would be a really surprise if it was AWD.
Justinsw says it has VTM-4 (aka AWD). When has he been wrong?
Old 07-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro

Autoweek also said it is possible that it may have an AWD option (maybe they were looking at our site also). So the rumor has some basis, but is not confirmed.

We can only hope
Old 07-11-2003, 12:34 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by need4spd
Autoweek also said it is possible that it may have an AWD option (maybe they were looking at our site also). So the rumor has some basis, but is not confirmed.

We can only hope
It is as good as confirmed. Again, when has JustinSW been wrong?? He has been feeding us info since early 2003. Other dealers posted bogus info on the TSX and he was there to rebuff it. His track record is above reproach.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Pro

We can only hope
Actually, Autoweek posted the AWD rumor first and Justin simply comfirmed it. If you read back through the thread Provench stated that Justin had told him about AWD some time ago, but asked him not to say anything. Justin was just waiting for the right time (I assume the right time being once more info/rumors had leaked).
Old 07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by prballard
It is as good as confirmed. Again, when has JustinSW been wrong?? He has been feeding us info since early 2003. Other dealers posted bogus info on the TSX and he was there to rebuff it. His track record is above reproach.

This is an emotional roller coaster.

I guess I am back on the "Yes" to AWD side.

UGH! I wish someone would release something concrete!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro

I also can't wait for the official press release!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:59 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry boys, it will be here soon and then we will know for sure!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I also can't wait for the official press release!
probably won't come till about a month before release...that's stnadard acura fair. Justin usually only announces something when he is sure about it as evidenced by his track record with the tsx...and the tl have a variant of vtm4 makes ense. Vtm 4 is a light weight alternative to standard awd systems...it's a great application for cars(low weight and good launching) but is pretty crappy in the awd/truck realm of things. VTM 4 seems designed for cars so it is logical that it will be fitted to some soon
Old 07-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Advanced

I went to my dealer and he had a small side profile Picture of the car uncloaked in his office--no interior shots tho. I asked about the HPT and all he said was that it was some kind of set that include numerous things--Sorry thats all i could get out of him--And i can say this it does look pretty nice
Old 07-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Pro

Thanks bdt980 for the photo info, I am going to stop by my dealer this afternoon.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by jwaters943
And what makes you such an expert? Just because they haven't done it before in the North American market, doesn't mean they won't ever.
I've never said Im an expert asshole. god, stupidass ricer like you doesn't know any shit.

WHY THE HELL WOULD ACURA GO FOR A.W.D.?

Do you even know what TL/CL is targeting for? you dumbshit
The class TL/CL is in are the followings.

Audi A4 as FWD setup/ Even A6 as RWD setup.
Nissan Maxima as FWD setup
Infiniti G35 Sedan as RWD setup
IS300 as RWD setup
Mercedes C Series
BMW 3 series
Subaru Legency as AWD setup*

As you stupidass can see, there is no reason for AWD to appear to compete with TL/CL's competition.
Why would TL go for something that is NOT:
-Cost effective[AWD setup consists of much more parts and requires much more time consuming setup to equip and finish.] If TL/CL price goes up more, Acura will not hold their customers. There are nicer cars with AWD out there. Perhaps Acura never had experience with AWD sedan, so god knows how they are going to make it.
-AWD sedan market is strictly forced to 1. Euro 2. Subaru/Mitsubishi.
It isn't easy to just jump in AWD market when there are strong level of competitions already dominating the market. Why take the risk?
-TL is more of a luxury focused vehicle, not a true performance oriented sport sedan like WRX, etc. While RWD creates luxury image, why go for more compliated, expensive setup?
-Because of how AWD setup is made, AWD takes more space for its setup to be equipped in a car. TL does not want to lose more luxurious factor, "Roomy - Space".

Last, HONDA WILL NOT PUT AWD SEDAN IN THEIR LINE.
Honda is known for their shitty ass torque too. Due to AWD's 4 wheel powerloss, power management is also main concern in AWD car. Honda will not easily jump into this.
RWD TL/CL is definitely a possibility, and that'll be one sweet vehicle.

There is always TONS of rumor before a car comes out.
I remember when TSX first started to be rumored, it was going to be,
- RWD configuration (Yea sure. well, we got crappy FWD)
- Will receive similar euro-spec power adjustment, around 240hp and enough torque to push around. (My ass, we got one heavy dragging 3200pounds boat that only has 200hp and 166torque)
- Honda backed performance package or F/I is going to be issued. (Stupidest rumor i've ever heard. Never offered, and never will)
- Possbility of coming in only 6-spd Automatic. (6-spd manual is available)

Its always like that. People/magazine makes unrealistic rumors when a prototype car is released.

Moron like you need to eduacate your self. I'll buy you a new house if new TL comes with AWD. dumbass rice fanboy. :pfawk: :sqntfawk:
Old 07-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by hwaNi.J30A1-C
I've never said Im an expert asshole. god, stupidass ricer like you doesn't know any shit.

IS300 as RWD setup
Mercedes C Series
BMW 3 series

As you stupidass can see, there is no reason for AWD to appear to compete with TL/CL's competition.
-Cost effective[AWD setup consists of much more parts and requires much more time consuming setup to equip and finish.] If TL/CL price goes up more, Acura will not hold their customers. There are nicer cars with AWD out there. Perhaps Acura never had experience with AWD sedan, so god knows how they are going to make it.
It isn't easy to just jump in AWD market when there are strong level of competitions already dominating the market. Why take the risk?
-TL is more of a luxury focused vehicle, not a true performance oriented sport sedan like WRX, etc. While RWD creates luxury image, why go for more compliated, expensive setup?
-Because of how AWD setup is made, AWD takes more space for its setup to be equipped in a car. TL does not want to lose more luxurious factor, "Roomy - Space".

Honda is known for their shitty ass torque too. Due to AWD's 4 wheel powerloss, power management is also main concern in AWD car. Honda will not easily jump into this.

- Will receive similar euro-spec power adjustment, around 240hp and enough torque to push around. (My ass, we got one heavy dragging 3200pounds boat that only has 200hp and 166torque)
- Honda backed performance package or F/I is going to be issued. (Stupidest rumor i've ever heard. Never offered, and never will)

Its always like that. People/magazine makes unrealistic rumors when a prototype car is released.

Moron like you need to eduacate your self. I'll buy you a new house if new TL comes with AWD. dumbass rice fanboy. :pfawk: :sqntfawk:
Wheres the LUV?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:25 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
^Whats with your drama? Everybody has an opinion about what they want to see or hope to see in the new car. Thats why this thread is also titled rumors. Why are you calling names? Grow the hell up.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Audi Driving Snob

First everyone is entitled to their opinions, but please takes flames to PM. I have no idea what honda will do, but it's definitely not impossible that a variant of vtm4 will be on the new tl.

Originally posted by hwaNi.J30A1-C
[B]
[b]
Acura has often been hammered for only offering FWD. Having an AWD setup would only increase the image.

VTM4 is not a true all time AWD setup. It is basically a fwd platform that electronically determines when to transfer some power to the back wheels. This means there are no limited slip differentials or complex hardware which lessen the complexity and cost. WEight is also only about 1/3 of the a normal awd setup(figure about 70lbs or so). The case is made of aluminum for lessened weight and attached to the front axel. It's impact on room is minimal.(no big differentials in the centeror rear of the car to work with.

Honda motors aren't always torquey but the j30a4 in the accord and even the old j32a2 in the cls could smoke the front tires pretty good. Even the tsx has trouble getting traction off the line.(probably due to the crappy tires mainly)Awd setup would defnitely help on the launches getting poewr to the ground. As far as the tsx goes from dynos it's actually pushing 210hp and 180lbft of torque. In all the comparison tests it's been quicker than it's competition which sport better torque numbers(c230, saab vector...) the a4 1.8t was not included but seeing as it has lower power output than the two the tsx compared against I think it would fair the same. I think the claims the tsx is an underpowerd boat are unwarranted. It's not "fast" but it was never meant to be.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hwaNi.J30A1-C you are a narrow-minded fool. I don't know if they'll do it, but the reason to do AWD is BECAUSE nobody else really has it. AWD would throw some buzz back into the Acura brand. They could charge a nice premium, give more power to the engine, and make it all work. Your observations are pitiful.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks for clearing that up for him!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Advanced

AWD is a nice concept tho
Old 07-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Does anybody know what the TL is called over seas?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
inspire/sabre
Old 07-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro

All I have to say is this: Before you say something to the effect that Honda has no experience in producing AWD cars, you need to look at EVERY THING the company makes/has ever made.

The Accord had been offered in AWD for years but it never made it to the states. Why, because there was at least 3 different Accords. The bigger of the 3 was the NA, sportier was the Euro, and small and economy was the JDM. I believe that this is the first time that the JDM and Euro Accord have been one in the same. The Euro Accord is made in Japan but in European countries they do not get the Euro R. Anyway it was Japan that got the AWD model.

Moreover lets not forget that the platform was designed for IMA!!!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hwaNi.J30A1-C

IS300 as RWD setup
Mercedes C Series
BMW 3 series

[/QUOTE

This type of response is ridiculous...If you are unable to explain yourself in a manner that generates some good dialogue without the "$@%@#" words, please don't. This type of language is not needed or desired in this forum.

thanks...
Old 07-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

When it.. produces 300HP it will have a Awd system( A 300HP FWD vehicle is not a fun car) Its the same tech you'll see in the 05 RL.

How long did it take the Type S to come out after the debut of the 99 TL?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ender
When it.. produces 300HP it will have a Awd system( A 300HP FWD vehicle is not a fun car) Its the same tech you'll see in the 05 RL.

How long did it take the Type S to come out after the debut of the 99 TL?
2years.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:43 PM
3rd Gear

Let me ask y'all is it true that Acura will be releasin the TSX Type S is is it just dog shet rumors?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Rumors, for now. Personally, I don't think it'll happen.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Race Director

I am still confused on the fact that VTM-4 would only be available on a Manual and not on a AUTO, Even though AUTO's sell more!

Originally posted by hwaNi.J30A1-C I'll buy you a new house if new TL comes with AWD.
Hey hwaNi.J30A1-C I want a house with 4 Bedrooms, Gimme your Address and lemme mail u some blueprints
Old 07-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Ķ®ÿñg£é Da Great
Let me ask y'all is it true that Acura will be releasin the TSX Type S is is it just dog shet rumors?
Everyone wants a Type S. Right now, we don't know anything about the Type S. If it is made, it won't be out anytime soon. Plus, I don't know if they can get too much more out of this 4 cylinder engine to really make it a type S.

back to the TL.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:59 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by typeR
inspire/sabre
The 04 Inspire well be based on the NA Accord. I think the Sabre name is being dropped. The 04 TL so far doesn't have a JDM counterpart.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

The forum is a democracy and I am grateful for everyone's opinions, but let's all be friends!

We are all excited, but let's all be friends and work the underground toegether in our quest for concrete details!
Old 07-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Thats a bold statment saying you are gonna buy someone a house considering that you know just about as much as everyone else and that is nothing-remember we're onthe rumors forum!
Old 07-11-2003, 03:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Why did Gilboman change his username?
Old 07-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by domn
Why did Gilboman change his username?
LOL I was thinking that too.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Where is the TL being produced? Japan or USA? Thanks...

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News