Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This place has gone a little goofy....

"Need more information.....can't go....on......":P
Old 07-18-2003, 10:47 AM
More On

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
You are on this site WAAAAAY too much, Larch.
(Tell us something we don't know!)

BTW on that next post of his, Clutch gained the very dubious distinction of joining me in a minority opinion of two.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah I'm beginning to think that the new TL will be evolutionary, not revolutionary, which isn't a bad thing at all. It will be a fine luxury touring sedan, and with a hp boost and awd in the near future, it could become revolutionary and really start taking on the germans.

Has anyone thought that maybe the legend being unveiled this fall at the tokyo autoshow = our new TL? It would be like the inspire based off our accord, we get it first and then a modified version in 6 months or so is made available for the japanese market. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but someone was telling me not to be surprised if the new TL is called the legend. I'm pretty sure here it will still go by TL. It seems too soon to unveil a concept RL. Any thoughts?
Old 07-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Count me in. Sure it helps that the TL can perform, but people want luxury too. When the redesigned Lexus ES300 debuted, it overtook the TL in sales numbers. That car is hardly a performer - with 210hp, it's vastly overshadowed by the likes of the Infiniti with its 260hp engine. But anyone's who's sat inside the new Lexus will appreciate its luxurious interior that is unmatched by any other car in this price range, except maybe the Audi A4 - and that really depends on the buyer's preference between a cold-but-nice interior (the Audi) or a warm and inviting one (the Lexus).

So with the expected increase in price, I guess Acura will make the new TL much nicer. And I'm all for it.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by need4spd
Drove the 04 Maxima SE with AT today, just didn't feel right, torque steer, cheep looking interior (too plastic), could not see the 6.3" radio/A-C controls in the sun, and sluggesh tranny really turned me off (plus the ugly nose).

My 96 Maxima w/ 3.0 MT and only 2896 lbs felt and looked much better (17" OZ wheels and AVS sports don't hurt).
I traded my 96 SE 5 speed for my first TL.

My Maxima was much faster than my 99 TL and it is a distant memory, but it was probably faster than my 03 TLS.

Kinda off-subject, but big up to the 96 Maxima SE 5 speed!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:27 AM
More On

Originally posted by RJC RSX
yeah I'm beginning to think that the new TL will be evolutionary, not revolutionary....
That makes three! Anyone else?
Old 07-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Hello-

Ehh...probably not. I think the concept @ NY would have been the "TLX Concept". Besides, I think it's safer for them to leave the name alone--it's been a very successful car for the last few years and renaming the car might not be a good thing to do. I think everyone is starting to recognize the name "TL" and know that it's the ACURA TL.

I'd guess that the only change in name is going to be the drop of the engine liter designation. Has this been made official yet?
Umm...anyone remember a great car from the 80s and early 90s called the Legend? Acura just about committed brand suicide when they dropped the Legend name in favor of their alphanumeric model designations.

I think they were so scarred by that they won't be changing the name of their cash cow sport sedan any time soon.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I traded my 96 SE 5 speed for my first TL.

My Maxima was much faster than my 99 TL and it is a distant memory, but it was probably faster than my 03 TLS.

Kinda off-subject, but big up to the 96 Maxima SE 5 speed!
Emu - Thanks, for the info, if that's the case, then I will be disappointed in the new TL, hope not, was looking to upgrade performance (or keep at least the same) and get that new car feel again, my 96 is a cream puff, with only 54K on the odo, but just need to change after 8yrs of the same thrill.

Nuff said, if we want to talk more we should start a new thread or e-mail.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Advanced

This thread is officially dead---We have absolutly nothing else to talk about on the TL until we get some more photos. If you havent noticed a lot of things are getting repetitive because of the lack of info the past week.

Come on someone Save the thread and give us some more hard facts to discuss!!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
10th Gear

This is just the most exciting stuff to read. I have gone from a very happy 02 TL-S owner, to a "I think I might drop down an 04 deposit this weekend" kind of guy. Althouh we know nothing for sure, I am just so amped about this car after reading through this board. It took me all week to find time and finish it. It's been 2 years (to the day) since my TL-S purchase. This is just about the time I start thinking of a new car, but I've never bought the same car again... until now! The response I have had on my Acura is the best so far. It's car number 9 for me, and I think I'm staying with the Acura family. My hopes are that this car is the talk of the town when it comes out... no matter what the specs are. It just needs to WOW me... and I think it will. The first few months of owning my TL-S were the best. Everyone stopped me to ask what it was. The S model was such a huge step up for the TL. I really hope we get that feeling all over again. Sporty sedans are all the rage out here in Los Angeles. I see young 20 year olds driving A4's and G35's! PLEASE Acura, release something soon, get the buzz out there and try something new with that tired ad campaign. You need something new out there. No more lost couples, driving with just a map and a curiousity to see the country, or guys driving to the cape for lobster soup. Make it exciting. Stir things up a bit and make this a debut that will get people excited all over again. That's my 2 cents!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by ntljr
guys driving to the cape for lobster soup
Bwahahahah!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:15 PM
10th Gear

Wink

This thread has gone from excited, hopeful, confused...to almost surreal. Reminds me of a joke I heard:

Guy's sitting a bar, and a pretty lady takes the seat next to him. He starts thinking to himself:
Wow, she's gorgeous! Wonder if I should buy her a drink? Maybe we could hit if off...she looks like my kind of gal. We could start dating, become "an item." Seriously, she looks the kind of woman I could marry, raise a family, the whole thing. But, it would probably go south, she'd get sick of me, start nagging and then divorce me, bleed me with alimony and make my life a living hell...
So he stands up, turns to the lady, and says, "buy your own drink, you bitch!"
Old 07-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by jwaters943
I won't pretend to know for sure what engine Acura is putting in the new TL, but they *should* use the 3.5 liter V6 from the MDX. All the competition has or will have 3.5 liter engines in the next couple years (Infiniti & Nissan already have it, VW will have a 3.5-3.6 liter VR6 within 1.5-2 years, BMW is working on a 3.5 liter I-6 due out in about 2 years, etc.) Even though I'm sure Acura could get enough power out of the 3.2 liter V6, there are people who also look at the size of an engine while purchasing a car (I guess old sayings die hard, "there is no replacement for displacement).
Are you new to Honda product? This is EXACTLY the reason Honda would likely use the smaller engine. It's a corporate philosophy to "get more with less"

As for the "replacement for displacement" arguement (I realize you're not the one saying it), us S2000 owners call it RPM
Old 07-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Colin
Are you new to Honda product? This is EXACTLY the reason Honda would likely use the smaller engine. It's a corporate philosophy to "get more with less"

As for the "replacement for displacement" arguement (I realize you're not the one saying it), us S2000 owners call it RPM
Oh, I'm aware of Hondas philosophies. No other car manufacturer can make a normally aspirated small(ish) engine produce the HP numbers Honda can without sacrificing emissions/fuel economy or refinement. Their concern for natural resources is truly commendable. I'm just saying that those things don't always bring people into dealer showrooms. Especially in the highly competetive Sport Sedan segment. I think we can all agree Acura doesn't have the brand cache that MB or BMW have. They could learn a thing or two from Infiniti and learn to not play it so safe (that is better left to Lexus). I'm not saying Acura should be like everyone else, but they could "loosen up" a little so to speak. In my opinion it could be a good thing for fellow enthusiasts in the long run (more cars sold=more money=Honda/Acura releasing more exciting features/products).

FWIW, I'm not trying to bash Honda/Acura. I've owned a Civic, CRV and TL in the past. I'm just speaking my mind...sorry for the long rant.

BACK TO THE TL RUMORS........
Old 07-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, I'm aware of Hondas philosophies.
Indeed it borders on religous fervor!

- No V-8
- No Turbos
- No RWD

IMO the only real problem is no RWD! If they only had one RWD platform like the FM that Nissan has...... wouldn't that be great!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro

Aloha Colin,

Thanks for keeping us straight.

Any answer when to my questions about when you are going to do the drive and ride thing with the TL like you did with the TSX at the track in Calif????

I am using a large photo of the concept TL as my wallpaper to remind me of how cool the new TL will be, I definately think a lighter color works for this car as it shows all the details!

Thanks again
Old 07-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, I'm aware of Hondas philosophies. No other car manufacturer can make a normally aspirated small(ish) engine produce the HP numbers Honda can without sacrificing emissions/fuel economy or refinement. Their concern for natural resources is truly commendable. I'm just saying that those things don't always bring people into dealer showrooms. Especially in the highly competetive Sport Sedan segment. I think we can all agree Acura doesn't have the brand cache that MB or BMW have. They could learn a thing or two from Infiniti and learn to not play it so safe (that is better left to Lexus). I'm not saying Acura should be like everyone else, but they could "loosen up" a little so to speak. In my opinion it could be a good thing for fellow enthusiasts in the long run (more cars sold=more money=Honda/Acura releasing more exciting features/products).

FWIW, I'm not trying to bash Honda/Acura. I've owned a Civic, CRV and TL in the past. I'm just speaking my mind...sorry for the long rant.

BACK TO THE TL RUMORS........
Well put, but I am still holding out for a little bigger displacement to boost that torque number.

As for the economy, I have averaged nearly 26 MPG for the year plus I have had my 03 TLS-Navi. That is a miracle of engineering!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Well put, but I am still holding out for a little bigger displacement to boost that torque number.

As for the economy, I have averaged nearly 26 MPG for the year plus I have had my 03 TLS-Navi. That is a miracle of engineering!
I agree, 26MPG is pretty good, but what type of driving do you do, if it is all highway, it isn't.

I get 29MPG on average, 95% highway with the 5spd maxima (3.0), the best I have ever gotten, plus at 70+MPH to boot!!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by need4spd
Aloha Colin,

Thanks for keeping us straight.

Any answer when to my questions about when you are going to do the drive and ride thing with the TL like you did with the TSX at the track in Calif????

I am using a large photo of the concept TL as my wallpaper to remind me of how cool the new TL will be, I definately think a lighter color works for this car as it shows all the details!

Thanks again
I've been thinking a lot about this. Trying to figure out how to make this happen. The last Ride and Drive trip they had a sales contest and the top 2-3 in new car sales got to go on the trip, all expenses paid. I was among the winners for the TSX. For the RSX they assigned it to the assistant managers but I paid my own way there. This gets kinda expensive....

FWIW, Ride and Drive dates have not been set yet, but they will probably be only 2-4 weeks before the car goes on sale on Oct. 6th.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

When I do straight highway, I have gotten as high as 32, but usually just over 30.

I get 26 MPG with mixed city/highway driving and AC on 100% of the time.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro

I've been thinking a lot about this. Trying to figure out how to make this happen. The last Ride and Drive trip they had a sales contest and the top 2-3 in new car sales got to go on the trip, all expenses paid. I was among the winners for the TSX. For the RSX they assigned it to the assistant managers but I paid my own way there. This gets kinda expensive....

FWIW, Ride and Drive dates have not been set yet, but they will probably be only 2-4 weeks before the car goes on sale on Oct. 6th.
Colin,

I have a lot of unused frequent flier miles, I could get you there for free, you would just need to pay for the hotel and meals.

I guess you can tell we are desperate for info?

BTW - Congrats on the TSX sales!!! Especially with such a small base, I guess the movies helped!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

mwhahaha in my rsx i can get over 40mpg straight highway
Old 07-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RJC RSX
mwhahaha in my rsx i can get over 40mpg straight highway
Oh boy, here goes the thread...

My 84 VW Rabbit would easily exceed 40 MPG on the highway!

Old 07-18-2003, 06:31 PM
More On

I....IMO the only real problem is no RWD! If they only had one RWD platform like the FM that Nissan has...... wouldn't that be great!
No -- then there would be almost no reason at all to even consider the car.

(Exaggerating, but you get the idea.)
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 PM
9th Gear

IMO the only real problem is no RWD! If they only had one RWD platform like the FM that Nissan has...... wouldn't that be great!
Wouldn't it be nice if Nissan had one RWD platform like the S2000?

Honda tends to use RWD only when necessary. There's still potential in FWD cars. They will never compete with RWD cars of the same caliber, but most folks don't get their luxury sedans sideways on local roads. If you want that kind of sport, you are in another market segment.

p.s. Justin, I'd still like to know about that GV platform when you have a chance.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by acura_driver
How about "High Performance Technology" instead?

-r
I vote for "High Performance Tuned"
Old 07-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by provench
I vote for "High Performance Tuned"
I have the little paper in my hand, High Performance Tire package is what is says. When have I ever led you guys wrong....

It also says this:

The information contained in the letter is strictly confidential. All information pertaining to the ’04 TL has been embargoed until September 1, 2003. It is critical that you respect the sensitivity and confidentiality of this information by not sharing it.
But I figure it's already been leaked so what the heck. Not telling you anything we don't aready know here....

P.S. If I suddenly go missing someone please report it to the authorities..................
Old 07-19-2003, 12:42 AM
More On

I have the little paper in my hand, High Performance Tire package is what is says......
Colin -- How shocked would you be if this turned out to be "misinformation," whether deliberate or not?
Old 07-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the little paper in my hand, High Performance Tire package is what is says. When have I ever led you guys wrong....:
I really hope not... I can't image explaining to friends and coworkers that HPT stands for "High Performance Tire".

I suppose I could always lie and say it stands for "High Performance Tuned".

-r

Next thing you know we will have HPCH. "High Performance Cup Holders."
Old 07-19-2003, 01:19 AM
More On

I really hope not... I can't image explaining to friends and coworkers that HPT stands for "High Performance Tire". ....
Next think you know we will have HPCH. "High Performance Cup Holders."
Old 07-19-2003, 01:36 AM
Racer

BTW, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I have nothing against a high performance tire. In fact I usually have FOUR max performance tires on my car at any given time.

-r

OK, it must be late...
Old 07-19-2003, 01:47 AM
More On

BTW, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I have nothing against a high performance tire. In fact I usually have FOUR max performance tires on my car at any given time. ......
Hey, a-d, nothing to apologize for -- You might have just won "Post of the Month"!
Old 07-19-2003, 03:59 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, a-d, nothing to apologize for -- You might have just won "Post of the Month"!
Hey Larch, can we create a "Post of the Hour" contest?
Old 07-19-2003, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

So, if Colin's sheet is accurate, the definition of HPT could be our last concrete fact of the week.

We were all hoping for something bigger than that, but I guess we will continue to be patient.

Keep the new coming!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Cruisin'

our dealership got info. on 2004 modelyear catalogue. It looks like there will be 3 trim levels of the new TL for Canada. TL,
TL Navi pkge. and TL Dynamic Pkge.
Also very good colour combinations.With black you can choose either ebony or camel leather.
Also it looks like we will have the official lanch of the car on Oct.15
for all of Canada. We saw some partial pictures if it. Looks Great!!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by acuragal
our dealership got info. on 2004 modelyear catalogue. It looks like there will be 3 trim levels of the new TL for Canada. TL,
Also very good colour combinations.With black you can choose either ebony or camel leather.
Thanks for the post. Do you have a...scanner? We want pics!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by acuragal

Good update! Let's seem some photos!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

OUR DEALERSHIP RECIEVED THE OFFICIAL INVITES FOR THE 2004 TL DEBUTE, FOR OCT 15. ON THE INVITE IT HAS SOME SMALL PICTURES OF THE FRONT LIGHT ASSEMBLY OF THE 2004 TL. IT APPEARS THAT THE INDICATOR LIGHT IS TWO AMBER GLOW STICKS OR POSSIBLY FIBER OPTICS APPROX 4-6 INCHES LONG WITH ONLY ONE ZENON OR HID BULB AND ANOTHER LENS THAT IS SQUARE. THERE IS ALSO A PICTURE OF THE 18" RIMS WITH GOOD YEAR TIRES AND HUGE CROSS DRILLED, VENTILATED ROTORS.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:49 AM
| Infinitely Variable |

Can anyone of you who have received the catalogue for the '04 TL, please post the pics? Interior pics would be especially appreciated since just about no one knows what it'll be like.

TIA
Old 07-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Now that people are getting flyers and test drive invites, we need to get some scans of pictures and text.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News