Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:12 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hatchback
How pathetic would that be! Hoping for 280hp with AWD but busted down to more expensive tires and the world's most useless technology (aka Bluetooth). But it has the terrifying ring of truth. Sounds like the 2004 TL is going to be one big dud.
Even if you disagree with Hatch, that's why the idea of the "T" standing for "tire" is bonkers.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by hatchback
My argument was that an AWD 2004 TL would kill the future 2005 RL which is currently undergoing a major redesign with 300+ hp and AWD confirmed. The 2005 RL redesign is costing Honda big $$$$$ and there's no way that Honda would stupidly ruin any chance of recouping their investment in the 2005 RL by offering a cheaper product one year earlier with the same critical features.
There has been no confirmation - for both the TL and the RL. I don't see how you could make such an argument in the first place.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by larchmont
Even if you disagree with Hatch, that's why the idea of the "T" standing for "tire" is bonkers.
I totally agree with you. If my dealer called me saying "Here are your standard features and options for the '04 Acura TL. Oh, so you're interested in a 6MT? We've got just what you're looking Check out our TL HPT. " So I say "What's HPT"? Dealer says... "it's our "High Performance Tires edition of the TL." It includes Yokohama AVxxxx. performance tires". I'd look at him like :pfawk: :shakehd: :thumbsdn: :whocares: :ghey: "Get the hell out of my face".

That sounds totally ridiculous. High Performance Touring, now that would make me take interest in such a package. Talk to me about Brembo brakes, stiffer suspension, lower ride, upgraded tires and 6MT.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by VtecMW
I totally agree with you. If my dealer called me saying "Here are your standard features and options for the '04 Acura TL. Oh, so you're interested in a 6MT? We've got just what you're looking Check out our TL HPT. " So I say "What's HPT"? Dealer says... "it's our "High Performance Tires edition of the TL." It includes Yokohama AVxxxx. performance tires". I'd look at him like :pfawk: :shakehd: :thumbsdn: :whocares: :ghey: "Get the hell out of my face".

That sounds totally ridiculous. High Performance Touring, now that would make me take interest in such a package. Talk to me about Brembo brakes, stiffer suspension, lower ride, upgraded tires and 6MT.

You just said:

Talk to me about Brembo brakes, stiffer suspension, lower ride, upgraded tires and 6MT.

So how do u know High Performance Tires could not be brakes, suspension, lower ride, and upgraded tires? Do not all 4 of these involve variations in the tires and etc...?
Old 07-17-2003, 11:10 PM
More On

Originally posted by 2004TL
You just said:

So how do u know High Performance Tires could not be brakes, suspension, lower ride, and upgraded tires? Do not all 4 of these involve variations in the tires and etc...?
You're missing the point, 2004.

We're not talking about what the package is; we're talking about what the trim level will be CALLED!

Some people are saying the "T" in HPT is "tire," and we're saying that's nuts. Sure, the package can include special tires, and it probably will. But calling a trim level "tire" would be moronic.

That's all that we mean.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Iceman
I think we will get both with the new TL. If you want luxury, go for the automatic tranny. If you want performance, go for the 6 speed with 18" wheels, Brembo brakes, performance tires, etc etc.
I just hope there isn't too much difference between the "luxury AT version" and the "performance MT version". If there is, it could be a deal breaker for me. Driving in SF Bay Area traffic makes a modern sequential automatic preferable to a manual transmission for me. But I don't want to give up too much performance to get it!

An observation, I believe that where there is a choice, the majority of performance luxury sedans are purchased with an automatic ransmission.

-r
Old 07-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by acura_driver
I just hope there isn't too much difference between the "luxury AT version" and the "performance MT version". If there is, it could be a deal breaker for me. Driving in SF Bay Area traffic makes a modern sequential automatic preferable to a manual transmission for me. But I don't want to give up too much performance to get it!

An observation, I believe that where there is a choice, the majority of performance luxury sedans are purchased with an automatic ransmission.

-r
True but look at the G35 coupe vs. the Sedan..

Coupe has 280 HP and many performance oriented mods while the sedan has only 260 hp and less performance things..
Old 07-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Race Director

You're missing the point, 2004.

We're not talking about what the package is; we're talking about what the trim level will be CALLED!

Some people are saying the "T" in HPT is "tire," and we're saying that's nuts. Sure, the package can include special tires, and it probably will. But calling a trim level "tire" would be moronic.

That's all that we mean.
Ya sorry I missed your point..

TIRE does sound really gay, Tour would be cool, like the 350z has a Touring model
Old 07-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Pro

I agree acura_driver, here I am planning on getting my first automatic car (in 22 years) and now I am going to be disappointed by having to get the watered down, non-sport, non-performance, non-brembo, non-lowered (all guesses according to this thread) version with the AT of the new agressive, sexy TL???

The hell with that, I'll just have to sleep in a tent out back (it will be easier than explaining to my wife why I bought anouther MT car that she can't drive, nor would want to learn how to drive) :P

Acura better bring on the goods in both the AT and MT versions of the TL with the HPT (touring) package or it is going to be a cold winter for me in the tent!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:26 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by need4spd
I agree acura_driver, here I am planning on getting my first automatic car (in 22 years) and now I am going to be disappointed by having to get the watered down, non-sport, non-performance, non-brembo, non-lowered (all guesses according to this thread) version with the AT of the new agressive, sexy TL???

The hell with that, I'll just have to sleep in a tent outback (it will be easier than explaining to my wife why I bought anouther MT car that she can't drive, nor would want to learn how to drive) :P

Acura better bring on the goods in both the AT and MT versions of the TL with the HPT (touring) package or it is going to be a cold winter!!!!
Ya, Man as anyone knows the Auto's sell the most, lot of people want a performance car but want a Auto, I mean it would seriously piss me off!!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Racer

HPT... "High Performance Tires" would be really lame. And "High Performance Touring" is a bit of an oxymoron. Either it is "High Performance" or it is "Touring", but they can't really exist at the same time without compromise. Whatever HPT is, it seems clear it is performance oriented though.

Perhaps HPT is an internal Acura name, and the public name will be different? Just a thought...

-r
Old 07-18-2003, 12:32 AM
Pro

2004TL, glad to see someone else is still awake.

Ya, especially being my first, as it has been a knock down, drag down brawl of auto vs manual for me and the Mrs'

(I guess she wants the option of being able to drive my wheels when her's is down).

Here I go agreeing, and now it is not available with the fun stuff.

If (this is a very big if based on the current info) it was AWD, I would definately be in the tent (hell, I would sleep in the car, like the guy in the MB E class commercials) and get the MT.

Sorry to go on, but this is p#$$ng me off.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:34 AM
More On

....Perhaps HPT is an internal Acura name, and the public name will be different?
You mean like that "Mother Of All Bombs" thing?

BTW I think High Performance Touring, while an oxymoron, actually would work fine. It has kind of a ring to it.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro

Perhaps HPT is an internal Acura name, and the public name will be different? Just a thought...
I thought about that also, HPT could be an internal code only.

HP and touring are oppisites, just look at touring tires vs max performance, complete oppisites.

But don't forget, it is all marketing buzz, so it does not have to make sense, just sound cool.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:37 AM
Racer

You mean like that "Mother Of All Bombs" thing?

BTW I think High Performance Touring, while an oxymoron, actually would work fine. It has kind of a ring to it.
How about "High Performance Technology" instead?

-r
Old 07-18-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro

-r
Not sexy enough
Old 07-18-2003, 12:42 AM
More On

Negative.

Too nerd.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro

With Acura's change in name designations, do you think the new one will be called TLX? (aka RSX, TSX for the sporter models)?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:44 AM
Racer

Negative.

Too nerd.
Guilty as charged, I'm an engineer...

-r
Old 07-18-2003, 12:45 AM
More On

With Acura's change in name designations, do you think the new one will be called TLX? (aka RSX, TSX for the sporter models)?
Some of us have been kicking that around. In fact I think you could find it on this thread, but of course that would be about 40 pages ago.

Most people think "TLX" would be ridiculous, because this "X" stuff is kind of a cliche, and besides Acura has enough "X's" already. But I'm not so sure.

I've been saying that the supposed fact that it'll be "TL" makes me think that it won't be as much different from the current TL as people think, or else Acura would be re-naming it. And, that if it turns out the new car WILL have a new name, then it probably means that Acura reads this board!

(Which I'm sure they do anyway.)
Old 07-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Pro

Guilty as charged, I'm an engineer...

-r
Join the crowd, but I have spent to much time with the marketing folk so I am starting to think like them, sdarwkcab (backwards that is).
Old 07-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Pro

Some of us have been kicking that around. In fact I think you could find it on this thread, but of course that would be about 40 pages ago.

Most people think "TLX" would be ridiculous, because this "X" stuff is kind of a cliche, and besides Acura has enough "X's" already. But I'm not so sure.

I've been saying that the supposed fact that it'll be "TL" makes me think that it won't be as much different from the current TL as people think, or else Acura would be re-naming it. And, that if it turns out the new car WILL have a new name, then it probably means that Acura reads this board!

(Which I'm sure they do anyway.)
Sorry, I thought I read all 48 pages, must have missed that post.

I see that Justin did not say boo after his clarification statement, no one came down hard on him, just appreciative for what he has said.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Iceman
I think we will get both with the new TL. If you want luxury, go for the automatic tranny. If you want performance, go for the 6 speed with 18" wheels, Brembo brakes, performance tires, etc etc.
Well, it is all really depends which "performance" we are talking exactly - straight line acceleration (with serious wheel-spin and poor handling) or something else?

I posted few links one or two pages back but I'm pretty sure everybody here knows what we are talking about here - we all love Honda but let's face it FWD has it's limits and even 260hp TL-S touches it.
Just take current TL-S for a test drive (push it hard off the line and around the corners) and then try 530i or one of this Quattro things - difference is quite big, noticeable and very hard to miss.
This is good thing Honda has AWD for such a long time on almost all JDM models - it gives us some hope that one day AWD will make its way to US (I personally dislike RWD since I had quite an unpleasant experience diving RWD germans in snow/rain)

So we can say for sure that '04 270hp 3.5L FWD TL will have "good/very good performance" but it will not be able to compete against germans - let's not foolish yourself here.
While *lightweight* RSX (and in most cases TSX ) with *smal*l and again *lightweight* engines can be one of the best examples how Honda can beat competitors by utilising all possible advantages of FWD setup - TL will be totally opposite story: heavy nose with such big and heavy V6 3.5L engine plus pretty serious curb weight make it "FWD dinosaur".

I haven't chance to drive all-new '04 Maxima V6 3.5L 265hp yet but from what I heard it is exactly the case I just briefly outlined above.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:59 AM
has been here awhile

Hello-

Ehh...probably not. I think the concept @ NY would have been the "TLX Concept". Besides, I think it's safer for them to leave the name alone--it's been a very successful car for the last few years and renaming the car might not be a good thing to do. I think everyone is starting to recognize the name "TL" and know that it's the ACURA TL.

I'd guess that the only change in name is going to be the drop of the engine liter designation. Has this been made official yet?

SPUDMTN

Looks like I was late to respond to your post...shoot
Old 07-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Banned

I just hope there isn't too much difference between the "luxury AT version" and the "performance MT version". If there is, it could be a deal breaker for me. Driving in SF Bay Area traffic makes a modern sequential automatic preferable to a manual transmission for me. But I don't want to give up too much performance to get it!.

-r
I have no doubt you will have to give up SOME performance. Example 1: the Honda Accord 6MT Coupe is much more performance oriented than the automatic.
Example 2: the TSX 6MT is geared for acceleration, whereas the automatic is geared for economy.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Pro

Drove the 04 Maxima SE with AT today, just didn't feel right, torque steer, cheep looking interior (too plastic), could not see the 6.3" radio/A-C controls in the sun, and sluggesh tranny really turned me off (plus the ugly nose).

My 96 Maxima w/ 3.0 MT and only 2896 lbs felt and looked much better (17" OZ wheels and AVS sports don't hurt).
Old 07-18-2003, 01:37 AM
More On

Originally posted by Alex
....(I personally dislike RWD since I had quite an unpleasant experience diving RWD germans in snow/rain)....
Totally agree -- me too.

On "the old site" (I imagine you know the story about that), there was a lot of discussion of this, usually instigated by me. Most people said FWD doesn't make that much difference on snow and little if any difference in rain -- even some highly knowledgeable people. Many of the Canadian members and some of the northern U.S. types (e.g. Jason), however, gave good support to our view.

I wouldn't own anything except FWD or AWD, regardless of anything about power.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:24 AM
Race Director

726 Replies

WOW!!

This might be the biggest car thread ever :p
Old 07-18-2003, 02:25 AM
Race Director

If we have this many views I wonder how many TL's will sell, maybe it may surpass Accords Record, But I wouldn't like that, I like the TL because its rare, same with TSX
Old 07-18-2003, 02:29 AM
has been here awhile

Hello-

Could we maybe get a "count-down until TL debut" clock for the home page?

SPUDMTN
Old 07-18-2003, 02:35 AM
More On

726 Replies

WOW!!

For a moment tonight, it was exactly 700 and exactly 46,000 at the same time. Looked neat as hell.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:42 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Hello-

Could we maybe get a "count-down until TL debut" clock for the home page?

SPUDMTN

When is the debut?

And you mean like a countdown clock?

That would be cool, how about that mods
Old 07-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Race Director

I guess this thread is officially dead tonight
Old 07-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Race Director

726 Replies

WOW!!

Now the views ia 46610

That is 92 up from last hour..

That means it has been viewed 92 more times in the last 60 mins, WOW!

That means this site gets tons of viewers and is so crowded!

Specially at 3:36 at night
Old 07-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by Alex
So we can say for sure that '04 270hp 3.5L FWD TL will have "good/very good performance" but it will not be able to compete against germans
I'm not sure where everyone is getting all this 3.5 stuff, but as far as I have heard, it's still 3.2.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Colin
I'm not sure where everyone is getting all this 3.5 stuff, but as far as I have heard, it's still 3.2.
I won't pretend to know for sure what engine Acura is putting in the new TL, but they *should* use the 3.5 liter V6 from the MDX. All the competition has or will have 3.5 liter engines in the next couple years (Infiniti & Nissan already have it, VW will have a 3.5-3.6 liter VR6 within 1.5-2 years, BMW is working on a 3.5 liter I-6 due out in about 2 years, etc.) Even though I'm sure Acura could get enough power out of the 3.2 liter V6, there are people who also look at the size of an engine while purchasing a car (I guess old sayings die hard, "there is no replacement for displacement).
Old 07-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

For a moment tonight, it was exactly 700 and exactly 46,000 at the same time. Looked neat as hell.
You are on this site WAAAAAY too much, Larch.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

looks like you own page 50
Old 07-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RJC RSX
looks like you own page 50
Thank you, thank you....

I don't know, guys. I love Honda/Acura to death, but it's looking more and more like the new TL is gonna be a slightly nicer/newer version of the current TL-S. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. I know the performance people will hate that, but the TL did sell very well in its prime. That's ultimately what honda is looking for.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I think this forum has pretty much pushed the limits of speculation and anticipation for the new TL. So, Honda/Acura... if you're reading this, give us some photos and specs on the car. We have run out of things to talk about!

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News