Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of off topic for the TL, but I came across this link at vtec.net for anyone interested in rumors for the new RL..........

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?<a hre...p?id=38178</a>

I know it's probably not new information, but thought I'd throw some rumors out there for some that might not have read this before.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JUNPWRD
Kind of off topic for the TL, but I came across this link at vtec.net for anyone interested in rumors for the new RL..........

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?<a hre...p?id=38178</a>

I know it's probably not new information, but thought I'd throw some rumors out there for some that might not have read this before.
Thanks for the link. I don't like the RL's styling. If they were aiming for the Buick/big Lexus market, they have certainly hit their target. But why?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:59 AM
More On

Originally posted by Jason
I know who this guy is. Based on that I would say his information is believable. In fact, because of the strength of his reputation and the quality of the information, I now believe nothing about the TL and will just wait until Acura releases official information.....
Well, I've believed nothing about the new TL, as I've been saying from the start, and it's been because of a specific reason that I've stated many times (on this thread and elsewhere).

Good to know that stash is authoritative and experienced on these boards (and now I think I can figure out pretty easily who he is). But...

Stash, I assume you were totally kidding about how maybe bumping up your post count would have helped here. Without our knowing who you are, we still wouldn't know how to take info from you. Of course you don't have to, but since you're not going to, that's how it stays. The assurances from Jason and Prov do help, of course -- but still.

And isn't this really how ALL of us react to info on here? I mean, that it's not that you say, "This dude has 450 posts so he probably knows what he's talking about," but that if someone has a lot of posts you've developed a feel for how to take info from him? And that without that "feel," the number of posts would mean totally nothing?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Pro

saw this on the TOV, a guy ask Honda field engineer and got these info, no tl-s, no AWD,nor RD, start @33K, no TSX-S, and RL will have AWD..... man, love my TSX!!
:P
Old 07-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

"saw this on the TOV, a guy ask Honda field engineer and got these info, no tl-s, no AWD,nor RD, start @33K, no TSX-S, and RL will have AWD"

.....yeh, that was just posted above.......
Old 07-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jason
I know who this guy is. Based on that I would say his information is believable. In fact, because of the strength of his reputation and the quality of the information, I now believe nothing about the TL and will just wait until Acura releases official information. I know Justin is the bomb but if two credible people are saying opposite things, someone has to be wrong.
Remember, Acura has a team of people whose jobs are to disperse misinformation in order to generate rumors. I'm not making any accusations here, but it's just something to remember.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

do you think those are the same guys responsible for the crop circles and the "probing"?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by VtecMW
RJC, are you putting a deposit down on a TL? Do you plan on working with Alex? Canthony, the sales rep I worked with, is no longer there. Tom Mezza, sales manager, is handling my purchase now. Could you just throw Tom's name out as a buzz word and see what kind of reaction you get from Alex? Thanks!

Hope you get some good info about the car.
Yup we put down the deposit with Alex this morning. 2004 Abyss Blue Acura TL Automatic with Navigation. Sorry, I didn't see your post about Tom before we left.

Pohanka has received no options sheet for the new TL. They had no new information to share, but I'm in direct email contact with Alex and he'll supply me with the latest.

I had received the allocation numbers last week for the first two months of the TL release, but I chose not to post them until now. That is, after our deposit was secured. Can you guess why?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

K that last post by me was retarded. But seriously though, don't you think it's kind of odd how the worldwide public knows absolutely nothing about any given new Honda/Acura model until basically its release date? But everybody knows alot about what the U.S. government is doing at any given time, regardless of how tight-lipped or top secret it's supposed to be? Alright. I admit it. I'm bored at work right now and I have way too much time on my hands to be thinking right now.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RJC RSX
Remember, Acura has a team of people whose jobs are to disperse misinformation in order to generate rumors. I'm not making any accusations here, but it's just something to remember.
That must be a great job... Where do I apply?
Old 07-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm serious, they have people who post in enthusiast forums to release rumors in order to generate interest as well as to downplay any information they don't want getting out. Again, I'm not trying to suggest justin or someone else is doing that here, but Acura does have these people and over the Interent you just never know.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

RJC RSX- oh I totally believe you. I know they're out there. I was just having some fun with the whole concept that that's actually somebody's job. I want to know where to apply too!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

RJC RSX- oh I totally believe you. I know they're out there. I was just having some fun with the whole concept that that's actually somebody's job. I want to know where to apply too!
I'm sure they have other duties lol. It could be anyone of us...CONSPIRACY!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:18 PM
More On

That's just it. (BTW not what I meant above when I mentioned there's been a specific reason for my being skeptical from the start, but yeah.)

And even more so, now that we (sort of) know who stash is, because he's just been part of the debate among heavyweights from the start, so for all we can tell this is more of the same.

IMO, Stash was being naive in several ways, and this part of it mentioned by RJC seems to be right up there. This whole thread has been one person with a reliable source saying stuff, then someone else with a reliable source..... and sometimes the various posters are people we know to be authoritative, yet their info is in conflict. So, now Stash (whom we didn't know from a hole in the ground to begin with) comes in with, "OK, forget all those 33 pages, this time it's for real." Yeah. How does HE know that this is finally it? And how could he have expected that WE would take these things as facts, when we already know that even the most authoritative among us, all presumably with excellent sources, have been in conflict with one another, and therefore necessarily mostly WRONG? If we were to regard this set of "facts" as MORE authoritative, some basis for that needed to be given or implied.

This whole thing is a lot of fun. I just get mad when I see smart people acting stupid.

And that goes for me too.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Pro

I knew my X-files reference was correct, but did not know how far it went.

I guess Acura realized we were on to something.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

maybe the other part of their job is to test and tune the new models and prototypes and them come on message boards and screw with us who are trying to figure out what the next model will be like. I'd sell my family into slavery for that job! I'd throw in my dog to be on the NSX team.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:19 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh great so thats what happens when there is a lack of info for a couple days.

What is so funny is everybody all of a sudden knows someone who knows something which really amounts to a whole lot of nothing.

A scoop is Jackspats pic on the concept TL on the road.
Car connections spy shots of the production TL.
First clear scans of the concept TL.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Instructor

RJC RSX, when you placed your deposit did they have a color chip of the blue? It is the only new color. If so, what current color does it resemble? What interior color did you choose??
Old 07-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

yeh justinjsw! See what happens? Why don't you just start making up some stories to entertain us in the meantime? Give us something to think about and write another 35 pages of gossip about. We're all lab ratts hitting the button for some nicotine! Give us something man!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro

I had received the allocation numbers last week for the first two months of the TL release, but I chose not to post them until now. That is, after our deposit was secured. Can you guess why?
RJC - congrats on your deposit, I still have yet to learn anything more from my dealer.

What did you mean by "I had received the allocation numbers last week for the first two months of the TL release, but I chose not to post them until now." ?????

I do not see anything in your post, or prior posts about the allocation numbers, am I the only one who picked up on this???

Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
OG

There are over 500 posts in this thread and one conflict. AWD.
I don't think anybody is arguing that the TL...will have a 6 spd tranny or that there will be no Type S. As far as AWD goes we will see.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:35 PM
More On

Originally posted by justinjsw
There are over 500 posts in this thread and one conflict. AWD.
I don't think anybody is arguing that the TL...will have a 6 spd tranny or that there will be no Type S. As far as AWD goes we will see.
Interesting, Justin, and a surprise. Does that mean you agree with everything else in Stash's post?????
(Even granting that he was a little vague about some of it, like hp.)
Old 07-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Pro

Oh great so thats what happens when there is a lack of info for a couple days.

What is so funny is everybody all of a sudden knows someone who knows something which really amounts to a whole lot of nothing.

A scoop is Jackspats pic on the concept TL on the road.
Car connections spy shots of the production TL.
First clear scans of the concept TL.
Justin, I agree, those are the only concrete things we know, the three scoops, since we can all see with our own eyes the photos.

Yes, I was beginning to wonder why everyone had a friend in the business all of a sudden (and why one would keep the gear shift knob off of a 6spd from the factory floor)

Just show me where that button is!

And thanks for keeping us in check.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Advanced

I'm serious, they have people who post in enthusiast forums to release rumors in order to generate interest as well as to downplay any information they don't want getting out. Again, I'm not trying to suggest justin or someone else is doing that here, but Acura does have these people and over the Interent you just never know.
What if someone of a credible background was on here doing this. This is the biggets forum i have found on this subject and it would make sense that someone was on here giving misinfo. It would explain all the contradictions we've had

Just a thought
Old 07-15-2003, 12:44 PM
More On

Originally posted by bdt980
What if someone of a credible background was on here doing this. This is the biggets forum i have found on this subject and it would make sense that someone was on here giving misinfo. It would explain all the contradictions we've had....
Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think any of our regulars would be like that (but who knows).

But, no disrespect intended, it's highly possible that they're being "used" by their sources, or that their sources are being used by THEIR sources.....

I remember during the stock market bubble, some friends were telling me about hot tips they had gotten, which HAD TO BE good because it was from people they could trust.

Yeah, but where had THAT info come from?
Old 07-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Stash
Here it is:

The press will have use of the new TL this week so expect confirmations of all of this info real soon

NO AWD---no way in hell
6spd and an Auto

The 6spd will have a performance tuned suspension and the Auto will have more of a comfortable ride. Same engine in both with approx 270 hp.

I don't know what the HPT stands for but there is an option for 18inch rims and Brembos on the 6spd but not on the auto.

The 8" is only on the nav----not the non-nav

Moonroof controls on the roof.

Expect TSX style gauges but better.

I didn't read all of the previous posts in detail but if you have any specific questions ask and I'll try my best.

BUT NO AWD

sorry guys
OK, lets go back (sorry if I am bringing up bad memories).

1. NO AWD - not to get technical, but isn't the VTM-4 NOT considered a full time All Wheel Drive system, so could we still be hopefull that Justin is correct (I do not despute him, so no hate mail please!)

2. No 8" on the non-nav - could it be a 6" or 4" panel?

3. 270hp approx, makes sence, approx can be +/-10% so 280 is still in that range.

4. The rest of it makes sense, or we have heard before.

Just thought I would throw this out there.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:58 PM
OG

Originally posted by larchmont
Interesting, Justin, and a surprise. Does that mean you agree with everything else in Stash's post?????
(Even granting that he was a little vague about some of it, like hp.)
I do not agree or disagree...I just don't know for a FACT. By that I mean I haven't been shown any spec sheet or Acura print out to say this is what will be on the TL. I know rumors are flying and everybody is dying to know or tell the next real scoop. So do I...I want to know what the TL is all about.

As far as Acura moving moonroof switches to the roof like the current RL...I mean they asked us years ago what needed to be changed for the next models. Thats why there is a thing called a dealer meet once a year. So I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did listern.

Rumors are just that rumors...and its something I try hard to not post. Nor do I post something that some "engineer" told me while I was having a cup of coffee...because that too unreliable.

In regards to VTM-4...Acura asked us years ago if this was something that would work in a sedan. We said heck yes. They said how about a mid level sedan...we said it would be a good option to combat Audis AWD and at the same time distant Acura from Honda. So will it be in the new TL...I don't know for a FACT. But when I was at Torrance a few months ago to snoop around I saw it listed as an upcoming option. If Im wrong then so be it.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

But can you say it's fact from just looking at a spec sheet? I remember when I worked at Acura, we received a mini brochure and spec sheet for the 99 Type R. Everyone was saying we would get it. The press was even ready for it, but in the end, the U.S. did not get it. So I think in Honda terms, if we know something for fact, we have to be able to see, smell, and touch it in person. We all know that Honda can show us one thing, but then switch it around once it hits showroom floors.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:11 PM
More On

I do not agree or disagree...I just don't know for a FACT. By that I mean I haven't been shown any spec sheet or Acura print out to say this is what will be on the TL. I know rumors are flying and everybody is dying to know or tell the next real scoop. So do I.....

Rumors are just that rumors...and its something I try hard to not post. Nor do I post something that some "engineer" told me while I was having a cup of coffee...because that too unreliable.

In regards to VTM-4...Acura asked us years ago if this was something that would work in a sedan. We said heck yes.....So will it be in the new TL...I don't know for a FACT. But when I was at Torrance a few months ago to snoop around I saw it listed as an upcoming option. If Im wrong then so be it.
This, folks, is how to put stuff in perspective.

Don't get me wrong. Stash is great too. But IMO that post didn't reflect his usual great level. We can write it off to his enthusiasm over getting that info on here, and who knows, maybe it IS right after all.

And JUNPWRD is absolutely right.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

Ah shucks.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:15 PM
OG

But can you say it's fact from just looking at a spec sheet? I remember when I worked at Acura, we received a mini brochure and spec sheet for the 99 Type R. Everyone was saying we would get it. The press was even ready for it, but in the end, the U.S. did not get it. So I think in Honda terms, if we know something for fact, we have to be able to see, smell, and touch it in person. We all know that Honda can show us one thing, but then switch it around once it hits showroom floors.
What do you mean? There were no mini brochure printed for a 99 type R. We knew in 98 there would be no 99 Type R then they brought it back in 2000/01 in two colors.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

I don't know if I would really call it a brochure. It was more like a little info pamplet of all of the models at that time and it mentioned something about the 99 Type R. It didn't come out and say we were getting it. It just talked about the Type R in that model year. I've talked about this to other people before. I'm so pissed at myself for not grabbing one when they were there. I never thought about it until after the fact. Does anybody else remember rumors that we would get the 99 Type R? And as a side note? What's up with Canada getting it that year, but not us? Was there really more of a demand in Canada than the U.S.? I don't hate Canadians or anything. Just jealous of course.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JeffPhx
RJC RSX, when you placed your deposit did they have a color chip of the blue? It is the only new color. If so, what current color does it resemble? What interior color did you choose??
They don't have the color charts yet, so I am unsure of the color. Abyss means void, so one can presume a dark blue shade. We chose quartz for now, but are having second thoughts. Once the color chart comes out, we'll see what interior colors can be had in abyss blue.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by need4spd
RJC - congrats on your deposit, I still have yet to learn anything more from my dealer.

What did you mean by "I had received the allocation numbers last week for the first two months of the TL release, but I chose not to post them until now." ?????

I do not see anything in your post, or prior posts about the allocation numbers, am I the only one who picked up on this???

Thanks
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. Basically, by all indications the new TL is going to be very hard to obtain at first. Before I say anything else, let me remind you that my dealership, Pohanka, is the largest Acura dealer on the east coast and one of the largest in the nation.

According to my dealer sources, Acura has alloted them 15 new TL's for October, with 3 of them reserved as demos. That's only 12 cars for the entire month, and this for a mega huge acura dealer, imagine the others. With 7 (now including mine) deposits down, there are only 5 new TL's left for October. Call me selfish, but I wanted to get our deposit secured (already 6 of them placed before us) before I posted that info here, because I realize a lot of the members here are from the DC area, and I didn't want to cause a stampede down to Pohanka before we could reserve ours.

Their allocation for November is 80.

My friend who is an experienced salesman told me it would take him 8-10 months before he could get us a good deal on the car. While I don't want to bring up the MSRP debate again, right now it seems the deposit and an agreement of paying MSRP is better than paying OVER MSRP when it comes out... short supply + high demand = $$$

Take it for what it's worth
Old 07-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

They don't have the color charts yet, so I am unsure of the color. Abyss means void, so one can presume a dark blue shade. We chose quartz for now, but are having second thoughts. Once the color chart comes out, we'll see what interior colors can be had in abyss blue.

I may be in the minority, but I'd sign-up for a car that has a DARK, DARK blue exterior and a light or charcoal grey interior.

Auto mfr's just don't seem to make nice blues anymore.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by need4spd
Remember that a TL is around 29K, TL Type S around 32K, so it may be going up a few thousand if compared to the 29K to around 33K, but stays relatively the same as the S type price as it has similar features / powerplant.

Only a thought
I have to go with Need on this one. With the TSX bumping against the bottom of the TL price range now, I'd bet the '04 TL will start more in the range of the current Type S.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Pro

............... According to my dealer sources, Acura has alloted them 15 new TL's for October, with 3 of them reserved as demos. That's only 12 cars for the entire month, and this for a mega huge acura dealer, imagine the others. With 7 (now including mine) deposits down, there are only 5 new TL's left for October. Call me selfish, but I wanted to get our deposit secured (already 6 of them placed before us) before I posted that info here, because I realize a lot of the members here are from the DC area, and I didn't want to cause a stampede down to Pohanka before we could reserve ours.

Their allocation for November is 80..........

Thanks for that info, I would imagine the first month will be light, good thing I am the first on the list here.

I fully understand the reason for holding back the information.

Thanks and good luck to us both (and VtecVM)!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I know everyone likes the TSX cluster, but I hope the one in the TL is different.

I am hoping for bi-xenon headlights, like in the BMW's, Nissans, Infinitis, Porsches, etc...
What exactly is the difference between xenon HIDs and bi-xenon?
Old 07-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Race Director

Ya thats exactly what I thought thats why I wrote this couple Posts above:

Originally posted by 2004TL
I bet those people are just Spy's Sent by HONDA To discredit these correct rumours, so no one knows the real truth..
Old 07-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by planman
What exactly is the difference between xenon HIDs and bi-xenon?
I think I will go to the grave not knowing the difference between HID and Xenon. To me, they are the same thing.

Anyway, bi-xenon lights are xenon high and low beams. Thus, no halogen, period.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News