Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Not sure if I would call it "fact", but wouldn't you agree that on paper, there's a lot of improvement over the 4G TL?

And it goes both ways. It is bit close-minded or prejudicial don't you think to disregard it before driving it? That's been my beef.
Who is disregarding TLX in this thread?

Nobody.

Most of us are saying that it looks disappointing.

Nobody said anything about how it drives since nobody has seen the data nor driven the car yet.

I don't know why some of you guys are keep on saying that people are disregarding TLX before even driving it.

Driving has nothing to do with judging how the car looks.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
^back in my bmw days, when the e36 came out, the e30 purists hated it. when the e46 came out, the e36 purists hated it. anecdotal, yes, but you can go back to the beginning of this thread and there were a fair amount of negative comments on the 3g too.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM
I drive a Subata.

I don't care what people have said about 3G TL 10 years ago.

That has nothing to do with some of you guys are saying right now.

This is a completely different situation.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
^back in my bmw days, when the e36 came out, the e30 purists hated it. when the e46 came out, the e36 purists hated it. anecdotal, yes, but you can go back to the beginning of this thread and there were a fair amount of negative comments on the 3g too.
I get what you're saying.

The exception here is that the E30, E36, E46, and even the 3G TL are all considered either classics or the pinnacle of their respective brands. The 4G TL........

Too early to say anything about the TLX in that regard (design longevity)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
don't know, and I never said you did.
oh?

if in the tlx you were expecting "RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt", I'd say your expectations don't reflect the reality of acura's history, recent and long term
'you' as in reference to me, who you replied to. Unless you were fighting the Cool. Story. Bro. crowd you make up in your head?

you asked me for my expectations, and I stated that 'reliability' is one of my 'expectations' rather than an 'improvement.' the improvement comes in the facts: tlx is lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient, better looking, better performing and w/improved amenities.
Fair enough. But how do you know it already beats what's on the market or coming to the market at the same time? Being open-minded does cut both ways.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Costco
I get what you're saying.

The exception here is that the E30, E36, E46, and even the 3G TL are all considered either classics or the pinnacle of their respective brands. The 4G TL........

Too early to say anything about the TLX in that regard (design longevity)
we look at them as 'pinnacles' now, but that wasn't the case day one.

like you say, it's still too early to tell with the tlx, but I already like it's look better than the 4g.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
oh?

'you' as in reference to me, who you replied to. Unless you were fighting the Cool. Story. Bro. crowd you make up in your head?
I said "if" that was your expectation.

Fair enough. But how do you know it already beats what's on the market or coming to the market at the same time? Being open-minded does cut both ways.
I don't know that it does, but beating everything in the market or on the way to the market wasn't a part of my expectations.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

we look at them as 'pinnacles' now, but that wasn't the case day one.

like you say, it's still too early to tell with the tlx, but I already like it's look better than the 4g.
I said "if" that was your expectation.

I don't know that it does, but beating everything in the market or on the way to the market wasn't a part of my expectations.
Nobody has a problem with you saying TLX looks better than 4G TL.

But we DO have a problem with you saying we are "haters" for not liking the design.

Like you said, design is a subjective matter. And people have different expectations.

You either have to learn to accept others opinion or leave the thread.
The following users liked this post:
CarbonGray Earl (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Nobody has a problem with you saying TLX looks better than 4G TL.

But we DO have a problem with you saying we are "haters" for not liking the design.

Like you said, design is a subjective matter. And people have different expectations.

You either have to learn to accept others opinion or leave the thread.
where did I say you were a hater for not liking the design?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I drive a Subata.

where did I say you were a hater for not liking the design?
Oh jeez. Not going back to check everything.

But you have a problem with people saying TLX looks disappointing.

Calling people out with what others drive for no reason.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Safety Car

Not sure if I would call it "fact", but wouldn't you agree that on paper, there's a lot of improvement over the 4G TL?

And it goes both ways. It is bit close-minded or prejudicial don't you think to disregard it before driving it? That's been my beef.
Of course it does goes both ways. With that in mind, as skidmark has said in the past, he doesn't care what people here say about it.

Do I agree its better on paper? Well, you can just look at it, and its easier on the eyes, if not a bit bland. Has better transmission options, absolutely. That really can't be we are looking for as fans, no?

If the goal is just to beat your old model, then I argue that Acura isn't setting its sights high enough, especially since the TL has always been Acura's primary model (if not necessarily the flagship). I argue that, as fans, we aren't setting our own sights high enough.

Its true that many of have left...there is a reason for that, and its not because we hate or have a bias against Acura.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I have no problem, I just think some folks expectations are unreasonable.
Unreasonable?

Let's forget about what we WANT in a TLX because it is not going to happen anytime soon.

Let's be realistic, given what Honda/Acura has in its pocket

TLX 4 banger:
Fine, i don't like it, i don't even like 4 banger turbo in most of the entry level 3,5 series, and ATS but if that is how the market is going to be, so be it.
No turbo? fine. But you need some kind of supplemental aid to the NA 4 banger to compete within the industry, when everyone is either V6 or 4 cylinder turbo. Regardless if the NA 4 banger is competitive in real life or not, it is definitely a turnoff when you read about it or when you make a comparison on paper.

2.4L Hybrid will be the realistic expectation from Acura. 240hp (200 na and 40 electric)

TLX 3.5
It has the same problem as the 4 banger. While NA is good enough but it does not bring anything new or exciting to market. Honda has the technology from Accord. make it 3.5L Hybrid 340hp (300 from 3.5 and 40hp from the battery)

with the added battery power and what we know about the 2.4 and 3.5L engine, performance should be just as good as the competition, most likely it will be better.

Looks:

Well, i am not be paid by them so it is their job to create a great looking car, not just an average looking car.

Overall my expectation from TLX is simple, it needs to give me something, whether looks, engine, power, handling, or just something that i can't ignore when considering buying a $40k car from this ULTRA competitive segment. It does not have to be all, but at least 1 category will standout from the rest.

if you look at the successful entry level luxury cars in the recent history, there is always at least 1 thing that will standout from the rest. TLX does not have any.
RPhilMan1 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh jeez. Not going back to check everything.

But you have a problem with people saying TLX looks disappointing.

Calling people out with what others drive for no reason.
you don't have to go back and check everything since there is a search function.

I don't have a problem with your subjective take on the exterior design, although I'll again point out that sometimes a design will grow on folks; negative comments in this very thread regarding the looks of the 3g when it was first released.

when did I call ppl out for what they drive for no reason?

Last edited by skd2k1; 05-06-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

you don't have to go back and check everything since there is a search function.

I don't have a problem with your subjective take on the exterior design, although I'll again point out that sometimes a design will grow on folks. negative comments in this very thread regarding the looks of the 3g when it was first released.

Somewhere in the thread.

If you are fine with others saying the car looks disappointing, then good.

Respecting others opinion is the only thing that we ask for.

Hope TLX drives very well.

Very interested in magazine reviews on both variants.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Unreasonable?

Let's forget about what we WANT in a TLX because it is not going to happen anytime soon.

Let's be realistic, given what Honda/Acura has in its pocket

TLX 4 banger:
Fine, i don't like it, i don't even like 4 banger turbo in most of the entry level 3,5 series, and ATS but if that is how the market is going to be, so be it.
No turbo? fine. But you need some kind of supplemental aid to the NA 4 banger to compete within the industry, when everyone is either V6 or 4 cylinder turbo. Regardless if the NA 4 banger is competitive in real life or not, it is definitely a turnoff when you read about it or when you make a comparison on paper.

2.4L Hybrid will be the realistic expectation from Acura. 240hp (200 na and 40 electric)

TLX 3.5
It has the same problem as the 4 banger. While NA is good enough but it does not bring anything new or exciting to market. Honda has the technology from Accord. make it 3.5L Hybrid 340hp (300 from 3.5 and 40hp from the battery)

with the added battery power and what we know about the 2.4 and 3.5L engine, performance should be just as good as the competition, most likely it will be better.

Looks:

Well, i am not be paid by them so it is their job to create a great looking car, not just an average looking car.

Overall my expectation from TLX is simple, it needs to give me something, whether looks, engine, power, handling, or just something that i can't ignore when considering buying a $40k car from this ULTRA competitive segment. It does not have to be all, but at least 1 category will standout from the rest.

if you look at the successful entry level luxury cars in the recent history, there is always at least 1 thing that will standout from the rest. TLX does not have any.
I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment here, but did I expect two hybrid engines in the tlx? no.

I think a lot of you guys who've left honda/acura really do love the brand, and that love has shaped your expectations. my decision to move to acura was an intellectual/practical one rather than an emotional one, so I view the brand differently. I moved to acura not b/c it was the best in any particular category, but b/c it was a well rounded brand.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

good to know you don't care, you are buying it anyways. What's your point in being here again? To comment on biases and expectations?

People would rather discuss the TLX.
phile (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

I don't have a problem with your subjective take on the exterior design, although I'll again point out that sometimes a design will grow on folks; negative comments in this very thread regarding the looks of the 3g when it was first released.

We want Acura to be successful and whether the car drives good or not matter more to people on this forum than rest of the 90% buyers.

So sales # determine the ultimate success of for this segment. Whether if the car is good, how it drives blah blah. They don't matter if you can't sell a Shit load of them.
Example: RLX - good car if you just look at the car itself but when you factoring price and competition. it is just meh. = poor sales

What does TLX have that others don't in this segment that will make customers consider TLX over the competition?

Reliability? I think Lexus has covered that portion of the pie. Acura can only follow them as far as reliability reputation.

So what does TLX have that others don't?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-06-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Somewhere in the thread.

If you are fine with others saying the car looks disappointing, then good.

Respecting others opinion is the only thing that we ask for.

Hope TLX drives very well.

Very interested in magazine reviews on both variants.
no one's stopping you from quoting me.

I respect your right to your opinion, even if we don't agree. expectations are relative. going from the 4g to the 5g, I'd say the tlx is a move in the right direction, but ultimately time will tell. maybe the tlx will grow on ppl, like so many cars in the past.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 PM
I drive a Subata.

I think a lot of you guys who've left honda/acura really do love the brand, and that love has shaped your expectations. my decision to move to acura was an intellectual/practical one rather than an emotional one, so I view the brand differently. I moved to acura not b/c it was the best in any particular category, but b/c it was a well rounded brand.
Intellectual?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM
I drive a Subata.

no one's stopping you from quoting me.

I respect your right to your opinion, even if we don't agree. expectations are relative. going from the 4g to the 5g, I'd say the tlx is a move in the right direction, but ultimately time will tell. maybe the tlx will grow on ppl, like so many cars in the past.
Oh for sure. It looks MUCH better than a 4G TL. LOL

I think that's something everyone in the thread can agree on.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

good to know you don't care, you are buying it anyways. What's your point in being here again? To comment on biases and expectations?

People would rather discuss the TLX.
when did I say I don't care? I try to put my expectations in touch with reality, so I'm not disappointed all the time.

I thought we were discussing the tlx?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, it's nice and dandy that TLX meets your expectations. However, it doesn't meet our expectations.

What's your problem here?

Why does it bother you so much that we are disappointed by the car?

Speaking for myself, as I'm sure I don't share the same opinion as the other fanboys or fangirls, I really don't mind if someone doesn't like something I like. I tend to expect that and cherish it since individuality is what makes this world go. Likewise, I don't think you'd have a problem with people who tend to like more than we dislike about the car.

Last edited by qingcong; 05-06-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Intellectual?
never said I was smart. it was a head decision rather than a heart decision. if that makes sense.

Oh for sure. It looks MUCH better than a 4G TL. LOL

I think that's something everyone in the thread can agree on.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Most of us are saying that it looks disappointing.
And to repeat ad nauseum: what exactly is so different from the show car?

1. Less chrome on the bumpers.
2. Crappy wheels (show car wheels were weak too).
3. No side skirts (which will be a dealer option).

Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by qingcong
Speaking for myself, as I'm sure I don't share the same opinion as the other fanboys or fangirls, I really don't mind if someone doesn't like something I like. I tend to expect that and cherish it since individuality is what makes this world go. Likewise, I don't think you'd have a problem with us "fanboys" who tend to like more than we dislike about the car.
We really don't mind some of you liking the design. Really don't.

And to repeat ad nauseum: what exactly is so different from the show car?

1. Less chrome on the bumpers.
2. Crappy wheels (show car wheels were weak too).
3. No side skirts (which will be a dealer option).

You got them right.

Regardless of the difference between the concept and production model, some of us feel that we wanted more aggressive. That's all.

Nobody hates the car or its design. Acura is definitely heading in the right direction.

Curious how it drives.

Are we all happy now?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

We want Acura to be successful and whether the car drives good or not matter more to people on this forum than rest of the 90% buyers.

So sales # determine the ultimate success of for this segment. Whether if the car is good, how it drives blah blah. They don't matter if you can't sell a Shit load of them.
Example: RLX - good car if you just look at the car itself but when you factoring price and competition. it is just meh. = poor sales

What does TLX have that others don't in this segment that will make customers consider TLX over the competition?

Reliability? I think Lexus has covered that portion of the pie. Acura can only follow them as far as reliability reputation.

So what does TLX have that others don't?
lexus is more expensive than acura, so with that in mind, I'll take an acura over a lexus. when I bought my 3g, is350's were consistently $5-10k more...no thanks.

I consider acuras to be well rounded, that's what I think their appeal is.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM
I feel the need...

If the goal is just to beat your old model, then I argue that Acura isn't setting its sights high enough, especially since the TL has always been Acura's primary model (if not necessarily the flagship). I argue that, as fans, we aren't setting our own sights high enough.
OG TSX'er, as I said before its an incremental improvement.

Would you really make the argument that the F30 was a "leap" above the E90? Just for arguments sake, some bimmer purists would argue that the 3'er has been going backwards...
skd2k1 (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Just for arguments sake, some bimmer purists would argue that the 3'er has been going backwards...
I was one of those guys. when the e46 came out, I thought it was too big, weighed too much, and lost the spirit of the 3-er.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
I vote we ban the use of the two-cents "smiley" from this post forward -
The following 3 users liked this post by ttribe:
CarbonGray Earl (05-06-2014), JS + XES (05-07-2014), RPhilMan1 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 PM
I feel the need...

Regardless of the difference between the concept and production model, some of us feel that we wanted more aggressive. That's all.
Call me a realist, I knew it was going to be watered down. I care more about the substance, and I think most would agree - the substance is going in the right direction...

Nobody hates the car or its design. Acura is definitely heading in the right direction.
We can only speculate, proof is in the Ackavetti "red carpet" pudding.

Curious how it drives.

Are we all happy now?
Just tickled you're no longer saying I'm worse than SSF...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

lexus is more expensive than acura, so with that in mind, I'll take an acura over a lexus. when I bought my 3g, is350's were consistently $5-10k more...no thanks.

I consider acuras to be well rounded, that's what I think their appeal is.

a well equipped IS 350 is in the low to mid 40s. which is exactly where TLX is.
Fully loaded TLX is $50k. Type S will be more if there is one.

Price is really not a strong selling point anymore. It was 10 years ago.
ES350 is actually cheaper than TLX if you want to compare with FWD cars.

By a well rounded company, you mean average in everything but not great in anything?

I highly highly doubt that is what Acura wanted or any business from any market wanted. Just being average.
While not everyone can be sucessful, but if you are happy with just being average, so you provide average products, then sooner or later you will see the exit door when the competition leave you in the dust.

trust me, in the business world, no one wants to just being average or well rounded company. They just failed the succeed, that is all.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM
I drive a Subata.

Just tickled you're no longer saying I'm worse than SSF...
I won't say that again. That was actually very mean. LOL
Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

a well equipped IS 350 is in the low to mid 40s. which is exactly where TLX is.
Fully loaded TLX is $50k. Type S will be more if there is one.

Price is really not a strong selling point anymore. It was 10 years ago.
ES350 is actually cheaper than TLX if you want to compare with FWD cars.

By a well rounded company, you mean average in everything but not great in anything?

I highly highly doubt that is what Acura wanted or any business from any market wanted. Just being average.
While not everyone can be sucessful, but if you are happy with just being average, so you provide average products, then sooner or later you will see the exit door when the competition leave you in the dust.

trust me, in the business world, no one wants to just being average or well rounded company. They just failed the succeed, that is all.
what do you think makes the rdx/mdx such great sellers?

if the tlx is significantly more expensive than the lexus alternative, I would have to rethink my purchase. that said, I'd be surprised if that actually turns out to be the case.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Would you really make the argument that the F30 was a "leap" above the E90? Just for arguments sake, some bimmer purists would argue that the 3'er has been going backwards...
Those BMW purists can argue all they want. E46, E9x, F30 all have been proved successful by the sales #. So as long as bmw can sell them, they can STFU.

In contrast, every Acura/Honda cars we had argued .. well you can see it for yourself.

also E90 was not as ugly as 4G TL, so any leap is hard to achieve, 4G TL was so ugly, you can put 2002 Accord skin over it, we will call it improvement.
I don't usually call cars ugly, but when i do, it is usually the 4G TL.

Sorry i know you drive a 4G TL.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-06-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

what do you think makes the rdx/mdx such great sellers?

if the tlx is significantly more expensive than the lexus alternative, I would have to rethink my purchase. that said, I'd be surprised if that actually turns out to be the case.
Acura website stated TLX Advance MSRP $49,995. I would not call it more expensive than Lexus, but i would say it is no longer that much Cheaper than anyone.

While we can't say exact how much other trim cost but that gives you an idea how expensive TLX is. For your reference, current 4G TL advance is $45000

RDX and MDX have different target group.
I would consider MDX if i was in that market myself.
Every segment market is different, the requirement to be successful is different too.

no one will give shit if MDX had 9AT or 8DCT... they will take more interior space over anything performance related.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-06-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM
I feel the need...

Sorry i know you drive a 4G TL.
Guilty as charged, but the 6MT is teh fun.

Am certainly not going to argue that Acura has lost its way and needs to get its mojo back. Until then...

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED POWER PLENUMS FOR MANKIND
Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

what's up man....

I don't disagree the TLX an improvement. Part of me thinks they've gone the right direction with things but something tells me those engines are just a stop gap. The base TLX engine has almost the same attributes as my old TSX, from almost 10 years ago. To me, not only is the competition from above improving out of their league, but the competition underneath the TLX will give them a run for their money.

Regarding BMW 3er, that sucker has gotten fat. I don't know enough about the 3 these days, but luckily for me, who was once a e36 owner as well, they make a 1 and 2 series if I were to buy one.

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 05-06-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I don't think anyone disagrees with you there.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I like the post mmc 4g more then the tlx.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by VR1
I like the post mmc 4g more then the tlx.
Seriously? I had such high hopes for you, young man.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News