Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
Seriously? I have owned Mercedes (SL) and Audi (2011 Q7)...with major problems. Anecdotal experience is valid for each of us, but nothing to show reality for a brand selling hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year. The data from millions of owners for many years running show that Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are the top in reliability. (And again this year.)
I know our personal experience don't really mean much. Just wanted to say it because a lot of fanboys in this topic always likes to throw out their comments like "German cars?? good luck with maintenance fees". I had 2000 Audi and BMW and they were terrible.

Well, my Honda/Acura cars had more problems than any other cars that I have owned.

The fact is that reliability does not always equal high sales numbers and profit margin.

If people ALWAYS based their auto purchasing decision making on reliability, all the German brands and some American brands shouldn't be in business today.

Yes, it's one of the biggest criteria the average buyers look at for sure, but brands like BMW/MB/Audi can price out their cars like crazy because they KNOW people will buy them.

Why? Because their cars generally are accepted as sexy and modern.

Hope Acura starts to pump out sexy cars with nice spec soon. And yeah, hope they completely rehaul their marketing approach because it's not working.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
You said: "Audi being compared to Acura. That's new."

Well, as you admitted, it obviously it isn't.

Acura has a 28 year history. A 9 year-old and 7 year-old comparison, (provided by another poster), is not ancient history...and even if it took place 28 years ago, in 1986, it would still make your statement untrue.

My point is that fairly recently, the second generation A4 was viewed as a lackluster car, after the first generation A4 was called "great". (Very similar to the TSX from first generation to second) --The A4 improved greatly -- due to engine and transmission technology -- the same technology being used in the TLX.

I agree with you that all of this discussion is moot until the car actually launches.
Seriously? I have owned Mercedes (SL) and Audi (2011 Q7)...with major problems. Anecdotal experience is valid for each of us, but nothing to show reality for a brand selling hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year. The data from millions of owners for many years running show that Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are the top in reliability. (And again this year.)
Stop being so sensible. You'll upset the BRZ and Bimmer 3 clans
Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Always have to bring up what others drive into the discussion huh?

If nothing else to attack, simply look at their sig and bring it up. Maybe it'll get them mad.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
I know our personal experience don't really mean much. Just wanted to say it because a lot of fanboys in this topic always likes to throw out their comments like "German cars?? good luck with maintenance fees". I had 2000 Audi and BMW and they were terrible.

Well, my Honda/Acura cars had more problems than any other cars that I have owned.

The fact is that reliability does not always equal high sales numbers and profit margin.

If people ALWAYS based their auto purchasing decision making on reliability, all the German brands and some American brands shouldn't be in business today.

Yes, it's one of the biggest criteria the average buyers look at for sure, but brands like BMW/MB/Audi can price out their cars like crazy because they KNOW people will buy them.

Why? Because their cars generally are accepted as sexy and modern.

Hope Acura starts to pump out sexy cars with nice spec soon. And yeah, hope they completely rehaul their marketing approach because it's not working.
I agree with all of that -- and share your hope.

BTW, I'm old enough to remember when Acura made cars that were considered sexy. (First and second generation Legend coupes, NSX...1G TSX, 3G TL.) They gradually disolved that image, and blew it all that to hell in 2009 with the PP grille. Audi was lost in bad design and weak performance in a similar way from 2002-06 or so...hopefully Acura can follow their example.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 05-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Racer

Funny stuff.

Hey, are you an Illini? (That's my alma mater.)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 PM
I drive a Subata.

Sounds good and I agree with all of that.

BTW, I'm old enough to remember when Acura made cars that were called sexy. (First and second generation Legend coupes, NSX, 1G TSX, 3G TL...) They gradually disolved that image, and blew it all that to hell in 2009 with the PP grille. Audi was lost in bad design and weak performance in a similar way from 2002-06 or so...hopefully Acura can follow their example.
I freaking loved my A-spec 3G TL. It was sexy as hell. Just wish I bought it with 6MT.

Trust me. Most of us who blast Acura in the thread are Honda fanboy in heart. We are all just sad that Acura messed up the brand for so long after 3G TL era.

Most of the current fanboys in this thread are just super sensitive and insecure in taking any criticism.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
I freaking loved my A-spec 3G TL. It was sexy as hell. Just wish I bought it with 6MT.
What amazes me is that car still looks good on the road today. It came beautiful straight from the factory. How they went from that to the 2009........ I'll never understand.
The following users liked this post:
VR1 (05-06-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Azine Jabroni

Funny stuff.

Hey, are you an Illini? (That's my alma mater.)
You bet.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Racer

You bet.
How about that. Looks like we each moved to college towns afterward, too. (Both have grown a lot in recent years, especially Austin.)

--Go Blackhawks.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Most of the current fanboys in this thread are just super sensitive and insecure in taking any criticism.
@ your ironic clownish, boorish behavior and immature gif bombs whenever non-Acura product is critiqued compared to a TL/TLX. Unless you own a LaFerrari, nobody here drives perfection.

I'd be happy to repizzle all of your lame super sensitive and insecure posts if you need a refresher.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
@ your ironic clownish, boorish behavior and immature gif bombs whenever non-Acura product is critiqued compared to a TL/TLX. Unless you own a LaFerrari, nobody here drives perfection.

I'd be happy to repizzle all of your lame super sensitive and insecure posts if you need a refresher.
I don't the LaFerrari is a very good value though. You can buy an RLX for a lot less and still go fast.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Azine Jabroni

Always have to bring up what others drive into the discussion huh?

If nothing else to attack, simply look at their sig and bring it up. Maybe it'll get them mad.

It's just more than a coincidence that the butthurt former Acura fans all drive BRZs and 3s and complain about unreleased cars, feed "trolls", and criticize Acura owners on a forum dedicated to their cars.

What a joke.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Hey, that's me! I have nothing notable to add, so I guess I'm like you now.

How about that. Looks like we each moved to college towns afterward, too. (Both have grown a lot in recent years, especially Austin.)

--Go Blackhawks.
Is Boulder a hipster town? I know people say Austin is.

I'm a butthurt Acura fanboy jealous of all the BRZ and 3 owners, so I troll, and criticize everyone who doesn't love every Accord based sedan Acura puts out.

I'm a joke.
Fixed!

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 05-06-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:42 AM
I drive a Subata.

It's just more than a coincidence that the butthurt former Acura fans all drive BRZs and 3s and complain about unreleased cars, feed "trolls", and criticize Acura owners on a forum dedicated to their cars.

What a joke.
Yeah, it's not a coincidence at all because we have all owned Acura cars before you did and found out the next generations were fking terrible. That's why we have moved on.

You, on the other hand, have the current Acura sedan trying to defend the car that's not even out in the market. We can't say the car looks underwhelming before it comes out? Why? Because we have to drive to figure out how it looks?

You are the prime example of the fanboy in this thread.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Azine Jabroni

Yeah, it's not a coincidence at all because we have all owned Acura cars before you did and found out the next generations were fking terrible. That's why we have moved on.

You, on the other hand, have the current Acura sedan trying to defend the car that's not even out in the market. We can't say the car looks underwhelming before it comes out? Why? Because we have to drive to figure out how it looks?

You are the prime example of the fanboy in this thread.
An Acura fanboy on an Acura fan site. At least we are supposed to fit here, unlike the BMW3 and BRZ trolls who project their mental and emotional instability on people who want to talk about their cars.
cairo333 (10-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I drive a Subata.

An Acura fanboy on an Acura fan site. At least we are supposed to fit here, unlike the BMW3 and BRZ trolls who project their mental and emotional instability on people who want to talk about their cars.
Get back to me on this.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
When you're Ron A, you can invite the rest of us to leave. In the meantime, this kind of comment just comes off as petty.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci

Well I don't think his use of "fanboy" is necessarily derogatory. If giving rationale for choosing an Acura makes one a fanboy, then to be fair we've got a bunch of BMW, Audi, Subaru fanboys as well.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

What a joke.
This is Cartalk, you are more than welcome to GTFO if you dont like it here.

Just FYI you are in the minority here in Cartalk.

Yah do you see some similarities in cars we drive.

RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt. something we were begging Acura/Honda to produce for many many years. Then they came up with 4G TL, RLX, ILX.

FYI it has nothing to do with the brand, IT IS THE CARS. If Honda/Acura has a CL-S replacement, i probably would not be driving a G35 in 2003. If Honda Acura had a replacement for s2000, i probably would not be driving a 335 today.

Most of us are not loyal to ANY brand, however, we are Loyal to certain type of cars. The moment you put that in your head, then maybe and maybe you will understand where we coming from.

I have had 3 Infiniti, 3 Honda, 1 Acura, 1 Scion, 1 BMW in the past 12 years, if you count the number correctly, i have owned more Honda/Acura than any other brand but i am not loyal to any.
We will buy whoever comes up with a great looking car with best performance that we can afford.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-06-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by qingcong
Well I don't think his use of "fanboy" is necessarily derogatory. If giving rationale for choosing an Acura makes one a fanboy, then to be fair we've got a bunch of BMW, Audi, Subaru fanboys as well.
If we say the car looks disappointing, are we the "haters"?

GTFO with your one sided logic.

That works in your middle school, just not here.

It's an internet forum where people have different opinions.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by qingcong
haven't the people that moved on from Acura bought more than 1 brand after their Acura? That's hardly a fanboy of anything...

That doesn't say "I hate acura" or "I love Subaru/BMW", it says to me that people have a more open mind about different brands.

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 05-06-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Costco (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo

RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt. something we were begging Acura/Honda to produce for many many years. Then they came up with 4G TL, RLX, ILX.

FYI it has nothing to do with the brand, IT IS THE CARS. If Honda/Acura has a CL-S replacement, i probably would not be driving a G35 in 2003. If Honda Acura had a replacement for s2000, i probably would not be driving a 335 today.

Most of us are not loyal to ANY brand, however, we are Loyal to certain type of cars. The moment you put that in your head, then maybe and maybe you will understand where we coming from.

I have had 3 Infiniti, 3 Honda, 1 Acura, 1 Scion, 1 BMW in the past 12 years, if you count the number correctly, i have owned more Honda/Acura than any other brand but i am not loyal to any.
We will buy whoever comes up with a great looking car with best performance that we can afford.

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
haven't the people that moved on from Acura bought more than 1 brand after their Acura? That's hardly a fanboy of anything...

That doesn't say "I hate acura" or "I love Subaru/BMW", it says to me that people have a more open mind about different brands.
Haterz!!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts

looks are subjective, and I don't think honda/acura has ever been an industry leader in that dept. as far as "RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt", were expecting this in the tlx?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

^^what were you expecting out of the TLX? You stated you'd buy one.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts

The only reason I'm in a BRZ right now is because Honda decided to give up on making a quality sports coupe.

And seeing how I've owned 1 Acura, 1 Mazda, 1 VW, 1 MINI, and 1 Subaru I make a pretty terrible Subaru fanboy.

Originally Posted by skd2k1
looks are subjective, and I don't think honda/acura has ever been an industry leader in that dept.
... ever heard of the NSX and S2000? Or are you just saying that to defend Honda in some weird backhanded way?
Costco (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Simply having a preference for the cars Acura makes (in my case the TLX is the only current Acura sedan I like) does not make me or others close minded about different brands. It simply means people have different ideas of what they're looking for in a car.

If you're not in the market for a 4cyl NA FWD sedan, then Acura's not the brand for you, and that doesn't make you a hater. Expensive German cars are not my thing, too poor for them, but I don't hate them. I'm not opposed to their existence and I don't rag on people who do have them or like them.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Man, without provocation you start ripping out the insults. I was even siding with you in that post.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

^^what were you expecting out of the TLX? You stated you'd buy one.
I expected fwd/awd, improvement from 4g in looks, middle of the pack performance, reliability, 'smart luxury.' I hope for a type-s model.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
... ever heard of the NSX and S2000? Or are you just saying that to defend Honda in some weird backhanded way?
don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the nsx and s2k, but I don't consider them to be best in class looks. it's not an attempt at defending honda/acura, just saying that folks expectations don't seem to match with reality, so disappointment is almost certain.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
looks are subjective, and I don't think honda/acura has ever been an industry leader in that dept. as far as "RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt", were expecting this in the tlx?
where did i say i expect that from TLX?

my expectation from Honda/Acura is not very high. I only expect to have 1 affordable car that is performance oriented.

With all the $$ and R&D invested in that RLX that sells 300 units a month, they could have put in to a coupe and keep it RWD like s2000. I am SURE it will sell more than 300 units a month.

and RLX does not serve its purpose to lure customers in to check out the cheaper TLX. It does the opposite.

looks are subjective, i thought and still think s2000 was the best looking proper coupe than most of the bloated convertible at the time: Z3/Z4, 350Z, Boxer and girly looking Miata <-- sorry to all the Miata owners.

and NSX was the best looking affordable exotics at the time.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Safety Car

I expected fwd/awd, improvement from 4g in looks, middle of the pack performance, reliability, 'smart luxury.' I hope for a type-s model.
I don't see how that list can only apply to a TLX. They aren't very specific.

If you don't have high hopes or have given up on improving then you can probably get those features from a new or used car right now, even an Accord or a 3g TL.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

where did i say i expect that from TLX?

my expectation from Honda/Acura is not very high. I only expect to have 1 affordable car that is performance oriented.

With all the $$ and R&D invested in that RLX that sells 300 units a month, they could have put in to a coupe and keep it RWD like s2000. I am SURE it will sell more than 300 units a month.

and RLX does not serve its purpose to lure customers in to check out the cheaper TLX. It does the opposite.

looks are subjective, i thought and still think s2000 was the best looking proper coupe than most of the bloated convertible at the time: Z3/Z4, 350Z, Boxer and girly looking Miata <-- sorry to all the Miata owners.

and NSX was the best looking affordable exotics at the time.
I'm just asking what your expectations are of the tlx, not saying that's what you are necessarily expecting. you're saying you want "RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt" "coupe", which is fine, but I don't see that the tlx thread is the place for that.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't see how that list can only apply to a TLX. They aren't very specific.

If you don't have high hopes or have given up on improving then you can probably get those features from a new or used car right now, even an Accord or a 3g TL.
it has been established as fact that the tlx is an improvement over both the 4g tl/2g tsx in pretty much every way possible. that is in line with my expectations.

if in the tlx you were expecting "RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt", I'd say your expectations don't reflect the reality of acura's history, recent and long term.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM
I drive a Subata.

it has been established as fact that the tlx is an improvement over both the 4g tl/2g tsx in pretty much every way possible. that is in line with my expectations.

if in the tlx you were expecting "RWD, Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt", I'd say your expectations don't reflect the reality of acura's history, recent and long term.
Yeah, it's nice and dandy that TLX meets your expectations. However, it doesn't meet our expectations.

What's your problem here?

Why does it bother you so much that we are disappointed by the car?
cjTL (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Safety Car

Where do I say I was expecting RWD Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt?

And this 'fact' about the TLX being an improvement....so you've been in it? Driven it? So its long term reliability is a fact now? Or is that based on Honda's reputation?

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 05-06-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, it's nice and dandy that TLX meets your expectations. However, it doesn't meet our expectations.

What's your problem here?

Why does it bother you so much that we are disappointed by the car?
I have no problem, I just think some folks expectations are unreasonable.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
And this 'fact' about the TLX being an improvement....
Not sure if I would call it "fact", but wouldn't you agree that on paper, there's a lot of improvement over the 4G TL?

And it goes both ways. It is bit close-minded or prejudicial don't you think to disregard it before driving it? That's been my beef.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Where do I say I was expecting RWD Performance oriented, 50/50 weight and 6mt?
don't know, and I never said you did.

And this 'fact' about the TLX being an improvement....so you've been in it? Driven it? So its long term reliability is a fact now? Or is that based on Honda's reputation?
you asked me for my expectations, and I stated that 'reliability' is one of my 'expectations' rather than an 'improvement.' the improvement comes in the facts: tlx is lighter, smaller, more fuel efficient, better looking, better performing and w/improved amenities.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
+1 to anyone who said anything regarding the S2000

I would have gotten an S2000, but I wanted something quieter, a bit better on gas, more room, and with a better interior. I freaking love the way they drive. I understand Honda specialty models (NSX, S2000) work on a different life cycle, but I think they let it languish one or two model years too many.

I've owned two Hondas, two Acuras, a Chevrolet, Toyota, and now a Subaru. In my search I considered a VW, Mazda, Ford and Subaru/Scion. I can confidently say that if they hypothetically had a successor to the S2000, I'd be in that right now. But the fact that I haven't considered, let alone owned a Honda product for 3+ years now despite owning them for the first 4 years of having my license says a lot.

re: the "BRZ/3 mafia" comments, speculation will abound no matter what make/model it pertains to. Forums would be a lot quieter and boring without it. Deal with it. Or make your own forum and ban people who disagree with you
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
In a nutshell, Honda/Acura is turning into something a lot of us don't recognize anymore

toyota

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News