Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
get what?
The higher estimated MPG.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
yah. Every time i hear Honda advertises that Civic is getting 40mpg i laugh.

yah sure in a perfect world where there is no traffic light or other cars on the road.
But then such condition exist, i probably will be getting 5mpg, instead of 40.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
ohh right. That happens to most cars though, regular or hybrids. Honda might advertise 30mpg combined on the Accord I4, but u might end up getting 25mpg. And Honda might say the Accord hybrid is good for 47mpg combined, but u might be getting 40mpg "only".
Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
i don't drive like a grandma, but I do the "coasting" thing. that's where if you know you're coming to a red light or a stop sign, or just coming to a stop in general, instead of holding the accelerator and then hitting the brakes when you get to the point you need to stop, you lay off the accelerator pedal and just allow the car's momentum to take you the additional few feet. It has gotten me well over the advertised mpg.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by phile
i don't drive like a grandma, but I do the "coasting" thing. that's where if you know you're coming to a red light or a stop sign, or just coming to a stop in general, instead of holding the accelerator and then hitting the brakes when you get to the point you need to stop, you lay off the accelerator pedal and just allow the car's momentum to take you the additional few feet. It has gotten me well over the advertised mpg.
I coast too when I'm approaching a red light. I'm also surprised that a lot of people don't do that...lol.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Acura Has Future, But as Niche Brand INDUSTRY VOICES

Jun 16, 2014 Phil Villegas

A client and I recently debated the pros and cons of building a new, exclusive Acura dealership.

While this multi-brand client has enjoyed success selling Acuras, I nevertheless advised him to consider either retro-fitting an existing facility or selling off the franchise.

Why? Because no matter how much we crunched the numbers, we could not find enough meaningful data to support major investments in the long-term prospects of Acura.

Rather, all of our data points indicate the brand will struggle for survival in the years to come as it faces heightened competition from luxury heavyweights such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW, brands that are expanding their lineups to fight in the lower-premium segment.

Honda launched Acura as a luxury brand in 1986, following the Japanese government-imposed export restraints on mainstream vehicles.

At that time, the brand targeted a more profitable vehicle segment that was not being properly addressed by other automakers: the near-luxury segment. Near-luxury filled the gap at the time between the top Japanese brands (Toyota, Honda, and Nissan) and the top German luxury brands (Mercedes and BMW).

When Acura debuted, Cadillac and Lincoln were languishing with stale and non-innovative products, making the environment ripe for an alternative luxury concept.

Much like other brands, Acura has shown year-over-growth since the end of the recession. But it’s important to note it has not bounced back at the same level as other luxury automakers.
http://wardsauto.com/industry-voices...re-niche-brand

While I agree with some of the points Villegas has made, I think he misses on a few.

1st off - the cheaper FWD German models are in the sub-entry segments.

So while a buyer may opt for the CLA or A3 over the ILX (or maybe even the upcoming TLX) for the badge, a buyer interested in the TL/RLX would not be looking for something that small from the Germans and any sedan close to the size of the TL/RLX would be pricey.

2nd - there is a market for cheaper FWD-based luxury models as seen by the success of Lexus with the ES, RX and presumably the NX; and despite all the grief that Lincoln gets, the MKZ does pretty well in sales and the new MKC has sold very well in its short time on the lots.

3rd - now having said that, what Villegas misses is the increased competition (aside from the sub-entry level Germans) from the domestics, the Koreans and the other Japanese.

Acura sedan sales are struggling and the competition is only getting more fierce.

There's Cadillac now the competitive (if not best in class handling) ATS and CTS and soon Omega flagship.

But maybe not direct competitors to the Acura's sedan lineup - but Lincoln's certainly is with the MKZ and an all-new MKS on the way.

Furthermore, you have the Koreans offering RWD sedans at a competitive pricepoint with Acura.

Acura's sales success of late has been with its CUVs.

And as I had stated prior, there's less of a stigma w/ FWD-based luxury CUVs than sedans - which is why Audi, Lexus, Lincoln, etc. all see CUVs as their main drivers of sales growth.

Acura has had it relatively easy when it came to FWD-based CUV competition - aside from the higher priced Audis, there were only the midsized based, but tweener in actual size RX and SRX until Infiniti saw the light and brought forth the Pathfinder based JX (which is about the only real competition for the MDX in terms of space and price).

But now, the compact sized MKC has launched and soon the NX will launch - giving the RDX real competition for the 1st time.

The next gen RX will likely get bigger (and/or else Lexus will just add a 3rd larger CUV to its lineup) and Lincoln will have a new MKX as well.

Volvo is also preparing its new lineup, including fresh CUVs and it remains to be seen what Cadillac does to its CUV lineup.

While there certainly is a market for FWD-based luxury models, the competition is just really starting and will only get tougher here on out.

Last edited by YEH; 06-16-2014 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jhumbo (06-18-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:02 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
June sales prediction:

Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow June 2014

07/01/2014 - TORRANCE, Calif.
Honda Civic and Accord post sales of more than 32,000 each in June for increases of 8.7 and 2.1 percent respectively
Honda CR-V posts best-ever 6-month sales performance with a gain of 6.1 percent YTD
Total Acura truck sales were up 6.1 percent in June
Acura MDX claims best-ever 6-month sales performance with an increase of 68.4 percent
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported June 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 129,023 units. The Honda division posted sales of 117,817 units in June while Acura sold 11,206 units in the same period. Year-to-date American Honda sales reached 739,436 units.

Honda
Honda's core models—Accord, Civic and CR-V—continue to set the retail pace through the 1st half of 2014, with the Civic up 8.7 percent and Accord increasing 2.1 percent in June. However, retail consumers appeared to take a breath last month coupled with an unusually short number of selling days, the shortest June in 5 years.
Bucking a recent market shift toward SUVs, Civic is up 8.7 percent in June and 5.3 percent for the 1st 6 months of 2014—its best such period in a decade
Accord sales rise 2.1 percent in June
CR-V, the industry's most popular SUV, posted a year-to-date gain of 6.1 percent for its best-ever 6-month sales performance
Despite low inventory as supply ramps up, the all-new 2015 Fit is driving new traffic at Honda dealerships
"Despite an easing of the pace in June, the larger sales trend throughout the industry remains robust," said Jeff Conrad, Honda division senior vice president and general manager. "Our core products remain strong and though we're still filling its supply pipeline, the new 2015 Fit is selling very well and we expect it to add yet another strong pillar to Honda sales in the near future."

Acura
Overall Acura sales continue to reflect the decreasing supply of TL and TSX models as the company prepares for launch of the 2015 TLX line of luxury performance sedans later this summer. With an unprecedented 1st half of the year, MDX and RDX continue to sell at a near record pace, pushing Acura truck sales up 6.1 percent for the month.
Acura truck sales rise 6.1 percent in June
MDX June sales rose 27.7 percent on sales of 4,890 units
Posting its best-ever 6-month sales performance, the Acura MDX led the division with sales of 30,644 units, an increase 68.4 percent over last year
"The MDX and RDX had a stellar 1st half of the year, certainly a good indicator that the Acura brand is moving in a strong direction," said Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager. "While we expected the reduced supply of sedans to impact sales this summer, the upcoming launch of the all-new 2015 TLX lineup heralds a new era for the Acura brand."
Old 07-01-2014, 03:59 PM
_

ILX sales under 1K a month?

Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News-ljkdbgn.jpg

ILX following in the footsteps of its big brother, the RLX

Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News-jyjdjow.jpg

Acura

Overall Acura sales continue to reflect the decreasing supply of TL and TSX models as well as the failures that are the ILX and RLX. With an unprecedented 1st half of the year, MDX and RDX continue to sell at a near record pace, pushing Acura truck sales up 6.1 percent for the month.
Fixed for accuracy.

Last edited by AZuser; 07-01-2014 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
The entire Acura sedan line is fucked.

Acura must stop everything and bring out the TLX to the market ASAP.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

that's assuming Acura exists in a vacuum. I think the TLX will sell, but the competition is fiercer now than ever. I see the Lexus ES350 everywhere - that is the TLX's main competitor, whether it's sporty enough or not to be an apple-to-apple comparison is another story, but the consumers speak with their wallets.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

The Lexus ES model has always been a top seller in the luxury sedan category, ever since the debut of the ES300.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Safety Car

Talking New Season

For the 2nd season in a row, Jerry Seinfeld has taken a stab at writing Acura ads that will appear before and after episodes of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee."

This time around, instead of spoofing 1960's car ads, Mr. Seinfeld said he's going after the idea that a car is "going to completely remake your life."

And thus was born Dan Granite, a fictional car salesman who sprinkles practical (if odd) life advice as he touts the Acura TLX to a prospective buyer. "I sell cars, you sell you," he says, obscurely.

According to Mr. Seinfeld, he and Acura have cut 10 separate spots, 2 for each of this run of episodes.

Acura recently signed on to be the exclusive sponsor of 24 new episodes (seasons 6, 7, 8 and 9) that will run on Sony Pictures Television's Crackle.com. And it's sponsoring this season and as well as another set to run online in the fall.

"We think we've really stumbled onto something special," said Mike Accavitti, general manager of American Honda's Acura Division.

In fact, the Acura sponsorship is the main reason the show goes on. When asked how much longer the show will continue, Mr. Seinfeld said, "I don't think I'd be doing the show at this point if it weren't for Acura," adding that he feels the company is a good fit.

Unlike other celebrities who've signed on to work with brands, Mr. Seinfeld isn't interested in a marketing title to affix to his name. "I don't like titles. I don't like credits. I just like doing the gig."

While agency Mullen provided support to the effort, Mr. Accavitti said Mr. Seinfeld did "all the heavy lifting" in part to ensure that they were contextually relevant, something that comes into play in the ads and in the product-placement within the episodes.

Contextually relevant, though, doesn't necessarily mean subtle. In a recent episode featuring actress Sarah Jessica Parker, Mr. Seinfeld and his guest are stopped by a police officer outside of a diner.

"Excuse me," he asks. "Is this your product placement?" The camera then cuts to an Acura MDX.

Explained Mr. Seinfeld: "Our product-placement philosophy is to make it as intrusive as possible."
Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
_

Better than Seinfeld's 1960's commercials. But why use TLX's with the wheels and not these nicer looking (optional?) wheels?

Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News-fls9oxp.jpg

Acura had the sense to use them on the TLX on the TLX landing page, but not the commercials?

Another missed opportunity to show off the TLX at its best.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:11 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Every Acura dealer must be shitting their pants right now. "Sell more MDXs!"

How did Honda sell two S2000s last year?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

All Acura sedans are below the 1000 units mark and yet YTD Acura is doing better than last year. The MDX and RDX are really doing great to carry the brand. Not sure what the issue is with the TLX and RLX AWD delay, but I'd imagine the TLX would help Acura to a reasonably good finish towards to end of the year.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Don't forget that the TLX has to take up the numbers for both the TL and the TSX, in order to make the total year-end Acura sales figure looks good.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Those new ads are catchy.

I think the TLX is ready for the heavy lift that Acura needs to improve its moribund sedan sales.

Just. Fix. The. RLX. Already. Thank you.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Don't forget that the TLX has to take up the numbers for both the TL and the TSX, in order to make the total year-end Acura sales figure looks good.
For sure.

My point was that, if the sales trend continues, Acura will still end up doing better than last year despite all of the sedans struggling. If the TLX starts to pick up while the RDX and MDX remain strong, then the year end total figure will be quite bit better than last year.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

With the announced TLX price list seems more reasonable (compared to the RLX), the TLX will now be able to fly off the dealerships in volumes.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Better than Seinfeld's 1960's commercials. But why use TLX's with the wheels and not these nicer looking (optional?) wheels?

Acura had the sense to use them on the TLX on the TLX landing page, but not the commercials?

Another missed opportunity to show off the TLX at its best.

I think both sets of wheels are okay, but nothing spectacular. Not sure which I like better, but I don't necessarily feel that one shows off the car better than the other.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
For sure.

My point was that, if the sales trend continues, Acura will still end up doing better than last year despite all of the sedans struggling. If the TLX starts to pick up while the RDX and MDX remain strong, then the year end total figure will be quite bit better than last year.
And here is where i have a problem with that. Undoubtedly sales will be up, most likely by quite a margin, But the problem is is i believe the people running Acura will have blinders on and look at it as a huge success when its really not. Sedan sales have been so poor anything over those numbers would be a success, but not necessarily a real, or true success. They need to really hit it out of the park and have demand higher than supply for the car to be a real success (especially considering it really is replacing 2 vehicles.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM
_

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Sedan sales have been so poor anything over those numbers would be a success, but not necessarily a real, or true success. They need to really hit it out of the park and have demand higher than supply for the car to be a real success (especially considering it really is replacing 2 vehicles.
That means that Acura will need to sell on average about 8,000 TLX's a month for it to be a true success as that's approximately what 1G TSX and 3G TL combined sales were.

At their peak in 2004, 2005 and 2006, combined 1G TSX and 3G TL sales in U.S. averaged between 9,000 and 9,400 a month.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

And here is where i have a problem with that. Undoubtedly sales will be up, most likely by quite a margin, But the problem is is i believe the people running Acura will have blinders on and look at it as a huge success when its really not. Sedan sales have been so poor anything over those numbers would be a success, but not necessarily a real, or true success. They need to really hit it out of the park and have demand higher than supply for the car to be a real success (especially considering it really is replacing 2 vehicles.
That means that Acura will need to sell on average about 8,000 TLX's a month for it to be a true success as that's approximately what 1G TSX and 3G TL combined sales were.

At their peak in 2004, 2005 and 2006, combined 1G TSX and 3G TL sales in U.S. averaged between 9,000 and 9,400 a month.
It seems to me that people at Acura knows their sedans haven't been the greatest for the past few years. I can we can see that through the TLX (i.e. aggressive pricing, 9AT, 8-DCT, all those features, etc).

I know that the 1G TSX and 3G TL had great success 10 years ago. However, we also need to keep in mind that the competition was not as fierce back then. There were a lot of average competitors such as CTS, C Class, and A4. The IS and 3 series were entering their final years of their life cycles. Now, every car in this segment has its own strengths. You pretty much won't go wrong with any. Basically, the TLX can be an excellent car, but everyone else is also excellent. In the past, the TL could be a great car, but if most others are just good enough, being a great car alone was already enough.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Team Owner

Well Acura decided to use 1 car to replace 2. So that 1 car will have to carry 2 cars' combined sales #. There is a way to fix that.

Figure out a way to sell more ILX. The more ILX Acura can sell, the less pressure will be on TLX.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb BizJournals

The newly designed Acura TLX will arrive at dealerships in August, so what’s next for the brand?

When I interviewed Mike Accavitti, senior vice president and Acura general manager, this week about the newest car in the luxury lineup of Honda Motor Co. (NYSE:HMC), we also chatted about the brand's other vehicles. Here's what I learned:

NSX

The most high-profile is the NSX supercar, which will be built at a specialized plant in Marysville, and is expected to debut next year.

“This is a project that any auto engineer would give anything to participate in,” Accavitti said. “It’s the ultimate car guy project.”

Accavitti wouldn’t say much about it other than the project progressing. However, the NSX will be key for the brand, not because of sales volume, which likely wlll be low, but because of its attention-grabbing profile.

“It’s a halo car,” he said. “If you can get people to talk and look at your brand with that aspiration, we can leverage that. That’s the best that Acura can bring.”

ILX

With the redesigned RLX full-size sedan launched last year and the TLX midsize coming out this year, the focus turns to Acura's entry-level ILX, which has been panned in some quarters of the trade press.

“It’s doing the job it was designed to do, attract younger buyers,” Accavitti said, adding that Acura is getting a bigger share of the under-35 market than it was before.

But ILX hasn’t taken off in a way the company had hoped, falling short of sales projections since its 2012 launch. Some 8,357 ILXs were sold in the 1st half of 2014, down 22% from a year earlier. Accavitti wouldn’t say when the 2nd generation ILX is coming, but considering the sales performance, the new Acura leadership structure and focus, and the fact that all other Acuras have had recent redesigns, the typical 5- to 6-year lifespan of the company's car generations may be shortened.

“We’re paying attention to who’s not buying,” he said. “We had them in the dealership, but they didn’t buy. We’ll be addressing those issues spot on.”

Matt DeLorenzo, Kelley Blue Book managing editor of news, thinks the ILX is too much like the Honda Civic, a vehicle with a far small sticker price. Stronger powertrains are likely for the car, as are more luxury cues in general. That’s what will be seen on the TLX, which is a new Acura model combining and building on aspects of the old TL and TSX. Accavitti said the TLX is indicative of where the brand wants to take its streamlined sedan lineup.

SUVs

Accavitti said the company remains confident about the light truck side of its business. The MDX was re-launched last year and remains on a hot streak. Honda declared it the best-selling 3-row luxury sport-utility vehicle of all time with 692,710 sales since 2002.

The smaller East Liberty-made RDX crossover posted sales increases every month since its latest generation came out in 2012. That streak ended in June with sales down for the 1st time. Accavitti said there were short-term inventory issues but no concerns about the vehicle.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX69

ILX

“We’re paying attention to who’s not buying,” he said. “We had them in the dealership, but they didn’t buy. We’ll be addressing those issues spot on.”

Are they doing the same for the RLX? If not they should be.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
It’s a halo car,” he said. “If you can get people to talk and look at your brand with that aspiration, we can leverage that. That’s the best that Acura can bring.”
Thanks for reiterating what AZ has been saying for years. Maybe they should start their product development projects here.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
^^^^^

This is simply not true. The TLX and the ILX have to cover what the TL and TSX covered pre-ILX.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Pinky all stinky

Are they doing the same for the RLX? If not they should be.

Originally Posted by dom
Thanks for reiterating what AZ has been saying for years. Maybe they should start their product development projects here.
We would turn Acura around within 1-2 years
Old 07-18-2014, 12:47 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by kurtatx
This is simply not true. The TLX and the ILX have to cover what the TL and TSX covered pre-ILX.
The current 4-cylinder-only ILX is one vehicle class below the TSX, that has a V6 engine option.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
It sure couldnt hurt. Let us help and we could turn this brand around in less than 2 years.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile

We would turn Acura around within 1-2 years
Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Does AZ have enough $ to buy 50% of Acura's shares?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Probably only the ill-performing sedan division.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Does AZ have enough $ to buy 50% of Acura's shares?
Charity drive
Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

how many active members r there right now?

Make everyone pay $10-$40 premium each, we should buy Acura's stock.

Even though i don't own any Acura right now but i am willing to spend some $ just to tell them how fucked up they are.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
The current 4-cylinder-only ILX is one vehicle class below the TSX, that has a V6 engine option.
Somewhat, however it is geared towards a similar group of buyers as the TSX. Please don't try to oversimplify it. The TLX could do great and not cover both TSX and TL numbers.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM
_

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Even though i don't own any Acura right now but i am willing to spend some $ just to tell them how fucked up they are.
We're already doing that by not buying any of their cars.

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News