Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by jhumbo
I think that if Acura were to come out with a killer TLX, the brand would definitely be revived. They managed to do that back in 2003 when they introduced the 3G TL.
The 3G TL alone isn't what "revived" the brand back then. Acura actually had a lot of good fun cars back in the day aside from the TL.
  • RSX: This was released for the 2002 model year, and in that first year it sold 30,117 units, or an average of 2,510 per month. Much much better #s than the ILX which only managed 12,251 (or 1,021 per month) in it's first year.

The RSX was a better entry level car than the ILX. It was so good that Car and Driver put it on its 10 Best list for 2002 and 2003.

A defending 10Best titlist, the RSX rolled onto the scene for 2002, replacing the Integra. With enviable popularity credentials over its seven-year run, including six 10Best awards, the Integra was a tough act to follow. But the RSX is a more sophisticated car, with a higher level of refinement, a seductive list of standard features, more room, more power, and a more relaxed approach to a sporty driving experience.

Acura achieved this by increasing the displacement of the engine to 2.0 liters, which generates 160 horsepower in the base RSX and 200 in the top-of-the-line Type-S. Redlines are lower, torque is higher, and even though curb weights are up, it requires less effort to produce urgent acceleration — 0 to 60 in 6.1 seconds in the Type-S, which is also equipped with a short-throw six-speed manual transmission that's sports-car crisp and steering that's surgically precise. Transient response is brisk, body motions are nicely snubbed, and ride quality is supple enough to take the edge off sharp bumps.

Like the Integra during its heyday, the RSX rules the small-sports-coupe class. But this is a more enlightened ruler. And for those who miss the banshee wail of the bad-boy Integra Type R, take heart — an R version of the RSX is just over the horizon.
  • TSX: Introduced in 2003 as a 2004 model year car, this was another winner. How much of a winner? It was on Car and Drivers 10 Best list for 2004, 2005, and 2006.

2004 10Best Cars: It's rare to find value and fun-to-drive dished up in such generous portions.

Nominally a replacement for the old Integra sedan, the TSX is spiritually a much different creature with more refinement, more room, more car. An adaptation of the European Honda Accord, the TSX is smaller than the U.S. Accord sedan and more entertaining to drive. The $26,990 base price puts this car in the same general category as edge-of-luxury sedans with prestige nameplates, such as the Audi A4, BMW 325i, and Lexus IS300. That's pretty fast company, and we wouldn't mind if the TSX had just a little more punch. Its 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve four is rated for 200 horsepower and 166 pound-feet of torque. Mated with the standard six-speed manual, that's enough to produce 0-to-60 sprints in the low-seven-second range, but that's only midpack in this class. On the other hand, the TSX is light on its feet and as responsive as a polo pony, its assembly quality is first-rate, and its list of standard features is pretty much unbeatable. The only options are a DVD-based nav system with voice recognition ($2000) and a five-speed automatic with a manumatic function, the latter offered at no extra cost. It's rare to find value and fun-to-drive dished up in such generous portions.
    "Precision crafted performance” was Acura’s original marketing mantra, and even though the slogan has long since been replaced, it accurately describes this little jewel of a sports sedan. Back for its second 10Best term, the TSX is a symphony of painstakingly perfected details that add up to feline agility enhanced by a bevy of luxury features that come standard. The only option is a DVD-based nav system that includes voice recognition.

The TSX is the sedan anchor at the affordable end of the Acura product range and replaces the four-door portion of the highly successful Integra line. But the commonality between the TSX and Integra ends right about there. The Integra was based on the Civic. The TSX is based on the European version of the Honda Accord, a little smaller than the U.S. version, a little bigger than the old Integra.

The TSX is also distinctly more refined than its predecessor—smoother, quieter, and creamier in the ride department. But this doesn’t mean it lacks the Integra’s well-developed sense of fun. The TSX carves up stretches of Sunday back road with the carefree accuracy of a neurosurgeon dissecting a Thanksgiving turkey.

We’d be even bigger TSX fans if its 2.4-liter four made a little more power. Still, 200 horsepower mated to a typically slick Acura six-speed manual transmission yields 0-to-60-mph times in the low-seven-second range, which isn’t slow. Add up the other virtues, and you have a value quotient that’s best in class.
    Although the TSX brings a modest horsepower increase to the game for 2006-205 versus 200—it's not the most potent player in the edge-of-luxury sports-sedan league. Acceleration nosebleed is not an issue here. But when it comes to the other virtues that distinguish the best from the also-rans—agility, comfort, quality construction, luxury features—the TSX has the field covered.

Based on Honda's European version of the Accord, the TSX is a little smaller than the U.S. Accord but much bigger than the old Integra sedan. It's also substantially more refined—smoother ride, quieter operation—without any real sacrifice in the sense of fun that distinguished its predecessor.

Power is delivered to the front wheels by a 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve aluminum four with Honda's i-VTEC variable valve timing and lift system. Mated with a slick six-speed manual transmission, this engine delivers more than enough thrust to be entertaining, and it's as smooth as a dram of 25-year-old Dalwhinnie single malt. A five-speed automatic is available, if you must. But we recommend the sense of engagement that goes with the six-speed.

The TSX—now a 10Best winner three years in a row—is one of those rare cars that make their owner happy to buckle up every time, every day.

Since 2006, what Acura has made the 10 Best list? None. But at least Honda's doing something right with the Accord and Fit since they've made the list every year since.

2007: Honda Accord and Honda Fit

2008: Honda Accord and Honda Fit

2009: Honda Accord and Honda Fit

2010: Honda Accord and Honda Fit

2011: Honda Accord and Honda Fit

2012: Honda Accord and Honda Fit

2013: Honda Accord and Honda Fit

Like I've said before, why buy an RLX when I can get about 90% of the car for about half the price by buying the Accord Touring.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
The 1st gen TSX started at 27k? Damn.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by VR1
The 1st gen TSX started at 27k? Damn.
The average annual inflation rate in the US from 2000-2012 is about 2.5%. Be a bit conservative and assume the inflation rate is just 2%, if a car is at $27000 in 2004, then that $27000 is equivalent to $33000 in 2014.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
1G RSX 1G TSX 3G TL line up was the best.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
1G RSX 1G TSX 3G TL line up was the best.
and add in the 2G RL which made for a great lineup in Acura cars

9 years ago which seems so long ago.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-06-2014 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 PM
_

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

The RL made Car and Driver's 10 Best list in 2005 too (along with the 2005 TSX and Accord).

Sad how much Acura has lost its way....

In 1986, Acura established the beachhead for the Asian invasion of the luxury-car market, but Honda’s upscale division soon found itself relegated to second string behind the eight-cylinder offerings of Lexus and Infiniti.

The arrival of this RL marks the end of Acura’s inferiority complex. Although the latest Acura flagship still isn’t a member of the V-8 club, with 300 horsepower it’s definitely up to speed, and in typical Acura fashion, it puts a fresh spin on an existing mechanical system, specifically, all-wheel drive. Not only does the RL’s Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD) apportion added thrust to the rear wheels as road conditions dictate, but it also sends extra power to the outside rear wheel during fast cornering to counter the understeer inherent in nose-heavy all-wheel-drive vehicles.

The exterior is stylishly wedgy and broad-shouldered, another example of Acura’s moving away from the forgettable styling that afflicted the division for so long. And the ultra-quiet interior combines typical Acura ergonomic good sense with all the hedonistic standard features you’d expect in a first-class sedan: glove leather, real maple trim, philharmonic audio, a power sunroof, and a foolproof nav system.

We’d be more enthusiastic if the fancy price included a little more rear-seat room and a little more trunk capacity. But there’s no doubt the new flagship is ready for the major leagues.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts

as Unreliable as 2G CLS, i still think it was a GREAT car at the time if you compare it with IS and 330.

Other than the stupid tranny, i had no complains on 2G CLS.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Forgot about that. Yes, the 2G RL was awesome.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
As H/A enthusiasts we have to be confident about the future.
This will happen next: TLX will be a hit, maybe not like 3G, RLX Hybrid will be very competitive and boost the sales numbers and with killer MDX&RDX success, A will be back on track.
2G NSX and the return to F1 will have a huge impact also.

Honda has something unique going on since day one.
And to top it all off, I heard Acura marketing execs have inked and re-united the very current, and very popular recording group CREED for a television commercial to sing a new Acura into every garage.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
600 RLXs sold is not bad - I thought by now they'd be down in 100-200 range.
I'm pretty sure that's what is said at the board meetings
Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
And to top it all off, I heard Acura marketing execs have inked and re-united the very current, and very popular recording group CREED for a television commercial to sing a new Acura into every garage.
Well I just heard the news today
Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 5,881 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
As H/A enthusiasts we have to be confident about the future.
This will happen next: TLX will be a hit, maybe not like 3G, RLX Hybrid will be very competitive and boost the sales numbers and with killer MDX&RDX success, A will be back on track.
2G NSX and the return to F1 will have a huge impact also.

Honda has something unique going on since day one.
Wait, are you suggesting that we need to "think positive thoughts" in order to assist Honda in its quest to get Acura competitive again?

I hate to break it to you, but Santa Claus isn't real.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by phile
Well played, sir!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by ttribe
Wait, are you suggesting that we need to "think positive thoughts" in order to assist Honda in its quest to get Acura competitive again?

I hate to break it to you, but Santa Claus isn't real.
Haven't you heard?!?!?
Honda has something unique going on since day one!!!!

.....however unique is akin to saying the ugly girl at the bar is "unique", not unattractive.....just "unique".
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by phile
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Well played, sir!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Live right now.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Tlx

As my colleague Tony DiZinno noted Tuesday morning, Honda-powered IndyCar Series driver Simon Pagenaud has been on an upward trajectory since returning to American open-wheel racing in 2012.

The Frenchman has grown from IndyCar rookie of the year to a legitimate championship threat that can contend just about anywhere on the schedule.

Now, we can add “TV star” to his list of accomplishments. OK, that may be a bit of a stretch. But IndyCar faithful should get a kick out of Acura’s latest ad for its 2015 TLX (see above), in which Pagenaud becomes what I’m assuming to be a lead-footed spy with a secret mission: Put the new car through its paces in a downtown metropolis.

Of course, zipping through city streets is no problem for him. After all, Pagenaud’s 1st 2 career IndyCar Series wins came last year on the street courses at Detroit’s Belle Isle Park and Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.

You can catch him and the rest of the IndyCar drivers and teams open their 2014 season on March 30th from St. Petersburg, Florida. NBCSN will then restart its coverage of the series at the next race, the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, on April 13th.

UPDATE, 11:30 a.m., Wednesday: TDZ taking over from Chris here. As part of my chat with Pagenaud earlier this week, we discussed the video in detail and what it meant for him to be part of the acting process.

“I’ve been involved with Acura almost my whole career, so we’ve always tried to keep a close link,” Pagenaud said. “My image, the message I try to send across, they seem to like it. So they thought it cool to use it for advertising in the new car, in more of an actor kind of role. So I did it … and it was certainly completely different than what I’m used to.”

Pagenaud went through direction and, as a rare HPD/Acura driver actually involved in an ad for the production car, was placed in a unique situation. Acting, to Pagenaud, is nowhere near as easy as it can come across.

“We did a quick briefing on what we were trying to do led by the director of the filming,” Pagenaud explained. “They explained to me what was expected from the set, and tried to reproduce it on camera. It was exciting, and now I have a whole different respect for acting! It takes a lot of focus for hours.”

Pagenaud did compare the film staff to the nucleus of the race team – a debrief on how to assess the performance was part of the process.

“That was an interesting one … Acura did it for this commercial, and was so impressed,” he said. "There were about 50 people in the filming crew, all specializing on the task. They’re all very professional; it’s a lot like how we go about racing.”
MuGen7Modulo (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
The video is very well done, finally. I like it quite a lot.
TLX will deliver to a whole new level, same as 1G TSX did globally and 3G TL did in US.

I can't wait to modify this in a JDM/Euro spec!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Not bad. I'd consider buying a 3.5 V6 SH-AWD TLX based on what I see in the videos.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-9-speeds.html
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb BloomBerg

Honda Motor Co. (7267) introduced a performance-oriented sedan that the company says is critical to reversing a drop in premium Acura car deliveries that kept record U.S. sales out of Honda’s reach last year.

The company showed a prototype of the TLX sedan yesterday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Pricing and volume goals for the TLX, which goes on sale in mid-2014 and will offer a new all-wheel-drive system, weren’t given.

“Acura is a legitimate luxury brand and we are working on the product that will support that premise,” Mike Accavitti, Honda’s U.S. senior vice president, told reporters in Detroit. “We’ve had our focus over the last few years on the SUV lineup. Now we’re focusing on the sedans. The TLX is the representation of that focus.”

Tetsuo Iwamura, Honda’s executive vice president, said in December that fixing Acura’s sedan lineup is a top priority. A 10 percent drop in combined sales of Acura’s ILX, TSX, TL and RLX sedans in 2013 kept the Tokyo-based company from a goal of achieving record sales in 2013. Including MDX and RDX sport-utility vehicles, Acura’s U.S. sales rose 5.9 percent.

The brand will grow this year, led by the TLX, RLX large sedan and a full year of the new MDX, which went on sale in 2013, Accavitti said. He declined to provide a volume goal.

New Engine

The 2015 TLX, which replaces the TL, gets a new 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder engine using direct-injection and 8-speed dual-clutch transmission, the company said. For higher performance, the car is also available with a 3.5-liter V-6. Both cars will have top fuel-economy ratings in the mid-size luxury sedan category, the company said, without elaborating.

The car’s combination of performance-oriented handling and power and a very quiet cabin will help the TLX stand out among luxury sedans, Accavitti said.

“We know we have to elevate the status of the brand,” he said. “When you re-establish a luxury brand, it takes years and it takes a consistent effort on the product and marketing side.”

The car will be built at Honda’s Marysville, Ohio, plant. Acura’s U.S. headquarters are in Torrance, California.

Honda’s American depositary receipts fell 0.4 percent to $39.93 at the close in New York. They’ve gained 4.7 percent in the past 12 months.

To contact the reporter on this story: Alan Ohnsman in Los Angeles at aohnsman@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Jamie Butters at jbutters@bloomberg.net

MuGen7Modulo (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM

“We know we have to elevate the status of the brand,” he said. “When you re-establish a luxury brand, it takes years and it takes a consistent effort on the product and marketing side.”
VR1 (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 PM
_

Originally Posted by Mike Accavitti
“Acura is a legitimate luxury brand and we are working on the product that will support that premise,” Mike Accavitti, Honda’s U.S. senior vice president, told reporters in Detroit. “We know we have to elevate the status of the brand,” he said. “When you re-establish a luxury brand, it takes years and it takes a consistent effort on the product and marketing side.”
So Acura wants to be a luxury player again?

Name:  HdHJjnV.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  27.4 KB
Old 01-17-2014, 01:26 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Acura has always been for the last 26 years in existence.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Safety Car

Wink Twitter

For Acura fans who fancy a little joe on the go, the automaker tweeted just the treat last week.

A new Twitter stunt from Acura used Twitter’s new timeline image preview to display a series of images of the new Acura NSX prototype attached to tweets rewarding 150 fans with @tweetacoffee Starbucks gift cards. All of this was done in promotion of Jerry Seinfeld’s Web series, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee,” in which the NSX prototype made an appearance Thursday.

“We thought this idea made a lot of sense since the show is about cars and coffee,” said Alicia Jones, the manager of Acura social marketing. “With the big appearance of Jay Leno and the new NSX, there would be buzz online anyway.”

The end result of all the tweeted images is that they act like a visual flip book as you scroll down the page. Each image acts as a frame of the animation. If you don’t want to scroll, you can look at the culmination of the images posted as a GIF on Acura’s tumblr. But to make sure it would all come together in real time, Acura, along with Mullen, made sure to do small quick tests of the images.

“We had to think through it and make sure that we did them sequentially in order,” said Jones. “If we had a scheduled tweet or tweeted something in the middle of it, it wouldn’t work. Mullen had a special Twitter handle that we did a test to made sure it worked, but when it did, we were good to go.”

To participate, Twitter users needed to tweet the hashtag #NSXCoffeeRun while the show aired. Acura, a Honda brand, was then able to tweet users a $5 @tweetacoffee Starbucks card along with a frame of the animation. Many were excited by the gift — and each tweet was retweeted upwards of 10 times:

Since the promotion happened Thursday, Jones could not determine whether Acura’s Twitter handle had gained followers. In any case, the car company was excited by the positive feedback.

“People, of course, appreciated the coffee,” said Jones. “And once they saw they were a part of the bigger picture, they were excited about that.”

Last edited by TSX69; 01-20-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoNews

Acura is gunning for U.S. sales of 175,000 units in 2014, propelled by sales of the new TLX sedan, dealers were told at the make meeting today.

Hitting that target would match the 6% growth that Acura posted last year, when it sold 165,436 units, trailing the U.S. market's overall 8% growth. Most forecasters predict industrywide U.S. sales growth of 3 to 5% this year.

"I think they're looking for sustained growth or maybe a little bit better," said Art Wright, chairman of the Acura Dealer Advisory Board and owner of Lehigh Valley Acura in Emmaus, Pa.

A dealer who didn't want his name published said that factory officials cited the 175,000-unit target.

Acura executives said to expect the TLX to be launched in late spring or early summer, Wright said. He said many of the questions from dealers who attended the meeting centered on plans for the mid-sized sedan, which will replace the TL in Acura's lineup.

"I think it's going to be a sizable launch, probably 1 of the biggest launches Acura has ever had," Wright said. "I think there is a sense that the sedan can bring back the numbers that the TL historically had."

In April, dealers will be briefed on launch plans for both the TLX and NSX sports car at a meeting in Austin, Texas, Wright said.

He added that Acura also wants to increase its certified pre-owned sales this year, by as much as 10%. Last year, Acura sold 41,978 CPO units in 2013, down 4% from a year earlier
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

cause the ILX and RLX sure aren't going to do it.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
“We know we have to elevate the status of the brand,” he said. “When you re-establish a luxury brand, it takes years and it takes a consistent effort with more than one car on the product and marketing side.”
Fixed for accuracy
Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
And the TLX sales will have to make up for the loss of 2K/mo TSX sales lost to it being discontinued.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
With the debut so far into the year I don't see the numbers adding up.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
And the TLX sales will have to make up for the loss of 2K/mo TSX sales lost to it being discontinued.
I'm afraid Acura may regret dumping the TSX.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
175,000 units in 2014?
I say less than 60,000 units.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
175,000 units in 2014?
I say less than 60,000 units.
I would imagine the TLX would have to have lit the Detroit Auto Show on fire to sell 70% of that many units.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
LOL @ 175,000 in 2014.

Acura thinks they can sell 50% more than 3 series in half of the time?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Um...I think they meant total sale of all their models.

As in combined sale of ILX, TLX, RLX, RDX, and MDX?!
TSX69 (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Um...I think they meant total sale of all their models.

As in combined sale of ILX, TLX, RLX, RDX, and MDX?!
Logical thinking and reading comprehension aren't allowed! Commence the blind bashing!

Considering yearly sales were around 165k last year, 175k is a reasonable goal.
kurtatx (01-27-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Jan 2014

02/03/2014 - TORRANCE, Calif.
Acura light truck sales post 37.1% increase to set new January record
MDX sales rise more than 64%; RDX sales up for 21st consecutive month
Honda Odyssey posts 16.6% increase; CR-V sales up 2.4%
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported January 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 91,631 units, a decrease of 2.1% vs. the same period last year amid record cold weather that affected industry sales in many parts of the U.S. Led by a strong lineup of all-weather SUVs, the Acura Division gained substantially in January, with sales up 14.1% for a total of 10,823 for the month. The Honda Division recorded sales of 80,808.

Honda
Record cold weather in several of Honda's stronghold markets in Eastern and Midwestern parts of the country helped cool sales across the board in the 1st month of the year. Despite the chill, both Civic and Accord managed to top 20,000 units while the award-winning Odyssey posted a double-digit increase. CR-V also recorded a January rise.
The Civic was the best-selling Honda model in January with 21,824 sales.
Odyssey showed the brand's biggest gain, up 16.6% on sales of 7,879.
CR-V posted 18,232 sales, an increase of 2.4%
"After a hot sales year in 2013 that saw the CR-V join Accord and Civic as the 3rd Honda vehicle to sell more than 300,000 for the 1st time in our history, January's foul weather cooled things a bit," said John Mendel, executive vice president of automobile sales at American Honda. "We look forward to a warming trend, especially as new products like the updated 2014 Civic Si and the all-new 2015 Fit join the lineup this year."

Acura
Acura light truck sales extended a remarkable run, setting a 4th straight monthly record.
MDX also continued its exceptionally strong sales pace with a 64.7% increase for its best January ever.
RDX claimed its 21st consecutive monthly record, adding 9.7% for another January record
"Even the frigid January weather couldn't stop the all-wheel-drive MDX and RDX from posting another record sales month," said Jeff Conrad, vice president and general manager of Acura Sales. "Acura is starting the year on strong footing that will get even stronger when the RLX Sport Hybrid and all-new TLX luxury sport sedan go on sale later this year."
Old 02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Holy MDX and RDX. Those puppies are moving. Acura has become an SUV company.

I see they are preparing for RLX hybrid sales by adding the RLX hybrid line to sales before the hybrid is available.

TL and TSX are tanking hard. Hopefully, the TLX will boost those sales some. I think Acura will hit 175k sales in 2014 with the product they have coming.

I don't even know what to say about the ILX anymore.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:55 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Actually, the MDX sales has already dropped by 29%.

The 2014 MDX was selling at 6K+ units per month, up to and including the 4th quarter of 2013.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
(snip)

I don't even know what to say about the ILX anymore.
I do. The ILX is crap. It was a crap idea, followed by crap execution. The leadership at Acura is completely out of touch with the market.
RPhilMan1 (02-05-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 11:05 PM
_

Originally Posted by December 10, 2012 - 12:01 am ET
LOS ANGELES -- Acura sales are climbing again after last year's earthquake-caused inventory crisis, but the launch of the ILX compact sedan has been a disappointment for Honda's premium brand.

Now Acura is planning a powertrain change for the ILX and will highlight technical features on the RLX flagship sedan due next spring as part of a strategy to return brand sales to the 200,000 level.

The ILX "is not hitting its sales expectations," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president.

Last month Acura sold 2,108 ILXs, compared with sales of 3,574 Veranos, 3,343 A4s and 2,197 CCs.

What's more, the upmarket 2.4-liter engine only comes with a manual transmission. Though it's pitched as a performance feature, few Acura buyers actually want to row the gears.

"The car was planned for a 2.4 automatic, and we're working to fulfill that," Mendel said, though he could not say when.

"We're looking to sell about 30,000 units a year, and we're probably closer to 22 or 24 right now," Mendel said, speaking of the annual sales rate. "We're hitting two-thirds of our expectations, but we're growing every month and catching on more."

The launches of the ILX and RDX set the tone for the redesigned RLX flagship sedan due next spring.

The current RL has been a flop, averaging just 35 sales a month for the past two years. Mendel wants to market the RLX as a technical tour de force, but with the twist that it offers "technology that improves your skills, not that takes them away."

That means pushing items like the RLX's standard Precision All-Wheel Steering (PAWS) system, which allows the rear wheels to have independent toe control during cornering. The rear wheels have their toe-in angles adjusted by electronic actuators while cornering, giving much crisper handling.

"The RLX has the right package to compete with more expensive vehicles," said Art St. Cyr, American Honda's head of product planning and logistics. "The previous RL didn't match what the customers were looking for."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...EM03/312109938
20,430 ILX's sold in 2013. At this rate, they're not ever going to hit their 30,000/year sales goal (revised from 40,000/year).

Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News-xwh3lrz.jpg

I guess the 830 RLX's that were sold in October was a fluke. Is the RLX a flop yet?

Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News-ng9phgx.jpg

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News