AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/acura-sales-marketing-financial-news-387118/)

dabuda 10-06-2003 03:36 PM

Originally posted by CTyler
The fog lights are in with the headlights.
thanks! that's odd, i dont recall fogs being in the same housing as the headlights for any other cars out there...maybe a sign of a new auto trend to come... :D

dabuda 10-06-2003 03:38 PM

Originally posted by moreace
What am I, advanced calculus professor?
:dunno:

colas 10-06-2003 04:57 PM

Re: Acura web site updated

Originally posted by 2004AcuraTLFan
Nothing new, but it looks like Acura has updated its website to showcase the 2004 TL, and has removed all reference to the '03 model. Probably coincides with the release date (today).

http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=tl

Looks pretty good. The TL mini site is still there.

The pics are of 04, but the info at the top (click on "luxury", "technology" etc) is for 03...ie: 260 HP type s....

LED Master 10-06-2003 05:46 PM

Originally posted by dabuda2004
thanks! that's odd, i dont recall fogs being in the same housing as the headlights for any other cars out there...maybe a sign of a new auto trend to come... :D
I hope you are joking, the first Legends had them integrated as well as my 89 mazda MX-6, then the vigors had them along with the first TL's(I think the TL's) along with others. Saves space and cost to integrate with head lights, but I hate it, one of those things I will have to live with, the car is just worth it.

ssm_tsx 10-06-2003 07:03 PM

The old style audi A4 and Passat (b5) had them there. So did the old TL's, except they were yellow. :)

Raheel 10-06-2003 07:13 PM

Re: Re: Acura web site updated

Originally posted by NSWAGAR
The pics are of 04, but the info at the top (click on "luxury", "technology" etc) is for 03...ie: 260 HP type s....
Ya if you go to calculator on the site, it says 2004 3.2 TL,

How lame, they haven't even updated the name!

Raheel 10-06-2003 07:13 PM

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
The old style audi A4 and Passat (b5) had them there. So did the old TL's, except they were yellow. :)

Some Old Lexuses has yellow ones in the headlight cluster as well, it feels like it was a OLD Style of Foglights, why would Acura want to bring it back?

Count Blah 10-06-2003 07:18 PM

Yep, I figured that out tonight at my dealer, as the salesman(?) talking to me didn't know how they were set up until I tried it out.

The Mazda6 also has the fog lights in the same assembly.
http://www.mazda.com.hk/services/ima...g-Lamp-Kit.jpg

schalliol 10-07-2003 10:19 PM

Press Release: i-Tech Augmented Vision to Acura Dealers

I was just waiting for this press release, as a technologist and car geek (and Microvision as one of my company's partners) :D. Try to find this at a BMW dealer! :)). I'm looking forward to all of our costs to reduce for repairs and frequency of maint. errors be reduced as well!

American Honda had a trial of an Augmented Vision system a bit ago that showed an incredible increase in technician efficency and now they have introduced it to Honda and Acura dealers, expecting to roll it out in early 2004.

You probably won't be hearing about for a while at other places. I have included most of the Microvision press release below since the URL looks like it's coined by sessions and might not link well (I've highlighted some things for you).

http://www.schalliol.com/property/ca...d_industry.jpg
Picture of what the system looks like to the user.

http://www.schalliol.com/property/ca...mad_expert.jpg
Image from the QuickTime 6/MPEG-4 movie I snapped to show you what it looks like on the technician.

American Honda Motor Company Introduces Microvision's Nomad Augmented Vision System to Honda and Acura Dealers

New Information Tool for Technicians to Be Named i-Tech Receives Enthusiastic Response from Dealers
BOTHELL, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 7, 2003-- American Honda Motor Company and Microvision, Inc. (Nasdaq:MVIS) today reported that Honda successfully introduced Microvision's Nomad Augmented Vision System to its assemblies of American Honda and Acura dealers. The product introduction took place at the auto company's two annual dealer shows held in San Diego, September 18, and San Francisco, October 2. Based on the enthusiastic dealer response, Microvision is planning a launch in early 2004.

Unveiled to dealers under the Honda name "i-Tech Expert Technician System," the Nomad Augmented Vision System is a powerful tool that promises to increase the efficiency and accuracy of service technicians performing complex repair procedures, thereby reducing costs and increasing customer satisfaction. The head-worn display, designed by Microvision, can overlay automobile diagnostics and repair instructions directly on the technician's vision. The result is that work is completed accurately and efficiently.

"Our mission is customer satisfaction," said Tom Laymon, Honda's assistant vice president for national parts and service. "Providing our dealers and their service centers with the right tools to "fix it right the first time" is a key focus for Honda. We believe that the Nomad wireless, head-worn information tool is the best service solution for the increasing complexity of the vehicles and ever-higher customer expectations for quality, timely repairs. Based on our recently concluded evaluation of the next-generation Nomad product and coupled with the enthusiastic feedback from our Honda dealers at the annual conference, we are planning to roll out the i-Tech Expert Technician System to our dealers and technicians in early 2004."

Comments from Honda dealers following the National Conference in San Diego underscored the enthusiasm for the i-Tech Expert Technician System. Larry Mallory, general manager of Honda of Kirkland in Kirkland, Washington, and Chairman of Honda's e-Business Dealer Council commented, "I believe that i-Tech will be a great tool for our technicians, both the "top techs" and the less-experienced techs on our team. Our service operation is eager to use this new product. We already envision the value of i-Tech for diagnostic and warranty repairs and claims coding, as well as the training potential offered by i-Tech. Honda of Kirkland is eagerly looking forward to working with this promising new tool."

"i-Tech will let my technicians fix the vehicles right the first time, which means satisfied customers and a more productive service team," said Jim Lanik, owner of Roger Beasely Honda South East of San Antonio in Victoria, Texas. "I am one of the few dealers who is a master technician. Repairing cars is how I got into the business. I sure wish we had this type of product in my day -- I can't wait to get i-Tech into my shop."

In a field trial of the Nomad Augmented Vision System at the American Honda Motor Company training center in Torrance, CA, Microvision and Honda measured average increases of 39% in the efficiency of skilled service technicians performing complex repair procedures. As part of a recent study commissioned by Microvision, a formula for return on investment (ROI) with the use of the Nomad Augmented Vision System was created for a typical automotive dealership. At a conservative 18 - 20% time efficiency gain, a dealership would realize a net ROI of $2,292 per technician per month. Annualized for eight technicians the ROI could be as high as $113,000.

American Honda Motor Company has approximately 1,500 Honda and Acura dealerships with an estimated 18,000 technicians, as well as an estimated 50,000 Honda-certified independent technicians in the U.S. The technicians in each of these locations are potential users of the i-tech Expert Technician System. On July 31, 2003 Microvision announced a non-binding Letter of Intent from Honda to purchase 3800 Nomad Systems beginning in 2004.

The i-Tech system will be a wireless, head-worn information tool incorporating a lightweight Nomad display mounted on a Honda/Acura baseball cap, and a belt-worn control module with integrated 'thin client' computer and battery. The i-Tech tool will display and control Honda service and diagnostic information through Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol from a remote Windows(R) 2003 Server using an 802.11(b) wireless network. "The 'thin-client' format makes it possible and affordable for all technicians in a typical dealership service center to simultaneously access separate information from one server," said Tom Sanko, vice president of marketing for Microvision.

"We're thrilled with the enthusiasm conveyed by the dealers at both shows," continued Sanko. "Seeing strong evidence of demand from the dealers was a key factor in driving our launch strategy. The next steps for Honda and Microvision include gathering feedback from several scheduled field tests of the i-Tech system at selected Honda and Acura dealers throughout the U.S. It is the final important step in preparing for product launch in early 2004. We're fine tuning the product configuration by having the technicians use the product throughout a typical work day."

About Microvision: http://www.microvision.com/

Headquartered in Bothell, Wash., Microvision Inc. is the developer of highly patented scanned beam technology for display and imaging applications. The company's technology has applications in a broad range of military, medical, industrial, professional and consumer information products.
If you can't tell, I'm pumped!!:kinggrin:

Raheel 10-07-2003 11:45 PM

http://www.acura.com/models/model_ga....asp?module=tl

The Showroom on the site is very NICE!!

it is not anything we have seen..

I bet some of you probably dont even know its there, I skipped it so many times before noticing it!

it lets you do so much sh!t on the car, like blink the indicators, see lights and shows every detail of the car ;)!

gilboman 10-08-2003 12:25 AM

why would you be pumped?? unless you are a honda tech, i dont give a sh!t how they fix/maintain my car as long as it gets done right...for all i care they can have trained monkeys doing it.

Vans 10-08-2003 12:33 AM

Originally posted by gilboman
why would you be pumped?? unless you are a honda tech, i dont give a sh!t how they fix/maintain my car as long as it gets done right...for all i care they can have trained monkeys doing it.
not very smart considering this helps them do it right and faster......

gilboman 10-08-2003 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Vans
not very smart considering this helps them do it right and faster......
i've never had any problems with any techs of any make doing it "wrong" when fixing my cars and i actually enjoy driving the courtsey cars and doing donuts and burnouts and slides in parking lots:D i feel sorry for that 320i i abused last time i went in for oil change...

schalliol 10-08-2003 12:41 AM

There are lots of reasons I mentioned above, but the main thing is the incredible cost savings they received and expect to get. The more cost effective they are the cheaper your car is...or at least the more money Acura makes, which is great because it allows them to do some interesting things to compete.

BTW, if you have an NSX (or an old car), be excited. While my dealer stocks NSXes and sells them all the time (when they put an accessory on, I noticed 3 NSXes being actively worked on in the bays), many dealers probably rarely see one in for service and the tech may be a bit "rusty."

soopa 10-08-2003 10:32 AM

thats awesome

soopa 10-08-2003 10:32 AM

how much for me to get one ;)

larchmont 10-08-2003 11:00 AM

Awesome! And, great get, Schally.

Gilbo, please tell us you were j/k. I looked for a :D or :moon: or something all though your post, I even used my Aug. Vis. system, but no luck. But I'm sure you had one there somewhere.....

moreace_RENAMED 10-08-2003 11:00 AM

I used it ages ago, it was on teh pre launched site too

schalliol 10-08-2003 11:18 AM

Originally posted by soopa
how much for me to get one ;)
Well, the headmounted see-through display is about $6,000 (the version you see just is coming out, the older one is much larger. Then it requires a small wearable computer ($2000?)…BTW, this stuff is nothing compared to what we can do, but just the large scale of an augmented vision sytem. Augmented Reality is where you "co-register" virtual objects to the real-world (see our website for more info.

MikeMa 10-08-2003 03:13 PM

The Mazda 6 does this (note the 4 elements in their lens). I beleive the VW Jetta does this too.

I thought the goal for Fogs was to shoot from lower than the headlights so it lights up the road in front, but I guess you can do some aiming trickery with mirrors and stuff for that....

LED Master 10-08-2003 03:28 PM

Originally posted by MikeMa
The Mazda 6 does this (note the 4 elements in their lens). I beleive the VW Jetta does this too.

I thought the goal for Fogs was to shoot from lower than the headlights so it lights up the road in front, but I guess you can do some aiming trickery with mirrors and stuff for that....

Real fogs are low, and amber to cut through the rain and fog, the whites only reflect and the higher up they are, the more light they reflect back to the driver.

For years, the fogs have really only been for show, none of the makers really make them the right way. In generaly they make them to light the sides of the road, which is what a fog is supposed to do, short, wide beam, vs driving lights which are a thin pencil beam to shoot further down the road (the more narrow the beam the futher it shoots, the wider the beam the shorter distance, there as only so much light in the bulb.

Intergrating them into the head light package saves, weight, cost, and wire, so that is why many are intergrating them.

However, if you ever need to replace that head light / fog light unit, watch out, because the cost is huge since there is so much stuff in it (even the parking lights/ turn signals are integrated!

civic4982 10-08-2003 05:10 PM

ehh, it's more for them than it is for me. I'm not sure about how much savings it is. I suppose having a computer right next to the lift woudl be just the same thing. Having it as a HUD is nice. Just so long as my car gets fixed, I'm happy.

Still, it's a cool toy.

schalliol 10-08-2003 05:34 PM

Take a look at the specs and the savings they get, that's quantative, not qualitative.

Dan Martin 10-08-2003 05:45 PM

Why wait, get one now:
http://www.media.mit.edu/wearables/mithril/

schalliol 10-08-2003 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Why wait, get one now:
http://www.media.mit.edu/wearables/mithril/

No way man, that stuff is junk. We'll build you a co-registering AR setup if you want, but it'll cost 'ya. ;)

Aric 10-08-2003 08:11 PM

that's a really cool piece of equipment. i first heard about things like this on discovery channel where some guy in toronto mapped out part of the city and put virtual advertisement, daily timetable....etc etc on top of the real world/vision. they even mentioned about 2 way communication with the main server to work as virtual maps, directories and many other cool possibilities. I was so amazed at the system. And i never expected they will start using it in everyday life so soon.

schalliol 10-08-2003 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Aric
that's a really cool piece of equipment. i first heard about things like this on discovery channel where some guy in toronto mapped out part of the city and put virtual advertisement, daily timetable....etc etc on top of the real world/vision. they even mentioned about 2 way communication with the main server to work as virtual maps, directories and many other cool possibilities. I was so amazed at the system. And i never expected they will start using it in everyday life so soon.
Yeah, it is cool stuff, and my company can do stuff like that now, but the Honda/Acura system is just Augmented Vision (a see-through monitor on their heads). At any rate, I'm excited that OUR car company is going to new levels to keep costs low. :)

kansaiwalker1 10-09-2003 07:54 AM

Acura sales have taken offramp

By Earle Eldridge, USA TODAY

Acura, the first Japanese luxury brand, has been falling behind competitors, hurt by a product lineup light on trucks and an image that lacks sizzle.

Of the seven major luxury brands, Acura, created by Honda in 1986, is the only one with declining sales this year. Acura fell to No. 5 among luxury brands last year from No. 3 in 1990.

It is a rare misstep for one of Japan's automakers, which have been grabbing U.S. market share from their Detroit counterparts.

For mainstream automakers, having a luxury brand is seen as a way to hold onto buyers ready to move to upscale models as they mature.

Beyond that, Acura has been an avenue for Honda to show its technical strength. Among the Japanese luxury brands — Acura, Toyota's Lexus and Nissan's Infiniti — only Acura sells a truly exotic car, the $89,000 NSX two-seater, which can reach speeds of more than 170 miles an hour.

But except for engine and handling upgrades, the car is basically the same as the one that first went on sale in 1991, and Acura sells only about 200 a year.

Acura says two new models, one that went on sale this week, will help revive the brand. Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor, is so optimistic about the redesigned TL sedan and the new TSX sports sedan, that he's predicting Acura will pull out a record sales year.

A pair of roadblocks

But to do that, it will have to overcome two obstacles:

• Acura is still at least two years away from adding a second sport-utility vehicle to its lineup, making it less competitive in the segment which has fueled sales for other luxury brands.

During the mid- and late '90s, when most major luxury brands added one or two SUVs to their lineups, Acura sold a jazzed up Isuzu Trooper, the Acura SLX. While the Trooper did fine as an Isuzu, it was less than what Acura buyers expected.

Acura finally came out with its MDX sport-utility vehicle in 2001. Although late to the game, it has been a hit. It is still hard to get and selling at close to its $36,000 sticker price.

MDX represents almost a third of Acura's sales this year through September. Without MDX, Acura's 2.2% sales drop from the same period a year ago would be worse. Overall, the auto industry is off 1.6% from a year ago, according to Autodata.

Elliott, who says Acura is developing a smaller SUV that will be on the market in about two years, says part of the problem is finding production capacity to build another product.

Jeff Schuster, head of North American forecasting for J.D. Power and Associates, doesn't think TL and TSX alone can revive the brand in the near term.

"Not with another sport-utility vehicle not due for another two years," he says.

• Acura has a problem with its image — or lack of it. "Acura has no distinguishing image," says Art Spinella of CNW Marketing/Research. It "comes out being so neutral to shoppers as to be invisible. It doesn't even show up as a brand people don't like."

Elliott says Acura knows exactly the image it wants — that of a luxury performance brand.

"The image of Acura may not be as clear as Mercedes or BMW, but we don't have the history those companies have," he says.

"The direction we want to establish for Acura is performance and luxury combined. You will see it moving more in the direction of Audi and BMW," he says.

The new TL, for instance, has more character in its exterior styling, including bolder wheels, than its predecessor. Horsepower climbs to 270 from 225 for the basic version of the previous model, 260 for the S-Type sporty version.

The TSX, an all-new model in the Acura lineup on sale since April, has a 200 horsepower engine. Both TL and TSX are available with six-speed manual transmissions.

Elliott says Acura wants to compete in the $25,000 to $45,000 market, which represents 80% of luxury vehicle sales.

Depending on options, Lexus and Infiniti's top models are priced above $60,000.

Driven by Honda

In a recent survey of the value owners place on their vehicles, Acura fell to No. 10 from No. 4 in 2002, according to Strategic Vision, a San Diego-based consulting firm.

Dan Gorrell, vice president of Strategic Vision, says the drop is partly because Acura offers fewer buyer incentives, which makes Acuras seem expensive when cross-shopping luxury brands.

But Gorrell also says Honda needs to invest more money in Acura. "Honda is a very conservative company," he says. "That culture really does well for the Honda brand. But in terms of maintaining a luxury brand, you have to keep up with the rest of the market."

Elliott doesn't deny that Honda comes first. The company, he says, has rightly focused on keeping Honda competitive.

"Honda has to succeed first and then Acura," Elliott says. "Without Honda, there is no Acura."

CTyler 10-09-2003 02:37 PM

USA Today Article: Acura sales have taken offramp

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...08-acura_x.htm

Posted 10/8/2003 10:22 PM

By Earle Eldridge, USA TODAY

Acura, the first Japanese luxury brand, has been falling behind competitors, hurt by a product lineup light on trucks and an image that lacks sizzle.

The Acura TSX, on sale since April, has a 200-horsepower engine.

Of the seven major luxury brands, Acura, created by Honda in 1986, is the only one with declining sales this year. Acura fell to No. 5 among luxury brands last year from No. 3 in 1990.

It is a rare misstep for one of Japan's automakers, which have been grabbing U.S. market share from their Detroit counterparts.

For mainstream automakers, having a luxury brand is seen as a way to hold onto buyers ready to move to upscale models as they mature.

Beyond that, Acura has been an avenue for Honda to show its technical strength. Among the Japanese luxury brands — Acura, Toyota's Lexus and Nissan's Infiniti — only Acura sells a truly exotic car, the $89,000 NSX two-seater, which can reach speeds of more than 170 miles an hour.

But except for engine and handling upgrades, the car is basically the same as the one that first went on sale in 1991, and Acura sells only about 200 a year.

Acura says two new models, one that went on sale this week, will help revive the brand. Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor, is so optimistic about the redesigned TL sedan and the new TSX sports sedan, that he's predicting Acura will pull out a record sales year.

A pair of roadblocks

But to do that, it will have to overcome two obstacles:

• Acura is still at least two years away from adding a second sport-utility vehicle to its lineup, making it less competitive in the segment which has fueled sales for other luxury brands.

During the mid- and late '90s, when most major luxury brands added one or two SUVs to their lineups, Acura sold a jazzed up Isuzu Trooper, the Acura SLX. While the Trooper did fine as an Isuzu, it was less than what Acura buyers expected.

Acura finally came out with its MDX sport-utility vehicle in 2001. Although late to the game, it has been a hit. It is still hard to get and selling at close to its $36,000 sticker price.

MDX represents almost a third of Acura's sales this year through September. Without MDX, Acura's 2.2% sales drop from the same period a year ago would be worse. Overall, the auto industry is off 1.6% from a year ago, according to Autodata.

Elliott, who says Acura is developing a smaller SUV that will be on the market in about two years, says part of the problem is finding production capacity to build another product.

Jeff Schuster, head of North American forecasting for J.D. Power and Associates, doesn't think TL and TSX alone can revive the brand in the near term.

"Not with another sport-utility vehicle not due for another two years," he says.

• Acura has a problem with its image — or lack of it. "Acura has no distinguishing image," says Art Spinella of CNW Marketing/Research. It "comes out being so neutral to shoppers as to be invisible. It doesn't even show up as a brand people don't like."

Elliott says Acura knows exactly the image it wants — that of a luxury performance brand.

"The image of Acura may not be as clear as Mercedes or BMW, but we don't have the history those companies have," he says.

"The direction we want to establish for Acura is performance and luxury combined. You will see it moving more in the direction of Audi and BMW," he says.

The new TL, for instance, has more character in its exterior styling, including bolder wheels, than its predecessor. Horsepower climbs to 270 from 225 for the basic version of the previous model, 260 for the S-Type sporty version.

The TSX, an all-new model in the Acura lineup on sale since April, has a 200 horsepower engine. Both TL and TSX are available with six-speed manual transmissions.

Elliott says Acura wants to compete in the $25,000 to $45,000 market, which represents 80% of luxury vehicle sales.

Depending on options, Lexus and Infiniti's top models are priced above $60,000.

Driven by Honda

In a recent survey of the value owners place on their vehicles, Acura fell to No. 10 from No. 4 in 2002, according to Strategic Vision, a San Diego-based consulting firm.

Dan Gorrell, vice president of Strategic Vision, says the drop is partly because Acura offers fewer buyer incentives, which makes Acuras seem expensive when cross-shopping luxury brands.

But Gorrell also says Honda needs to invest more money in Acura. "Honda is a very conservative company," he says. "That culture really does well for the Honda brand. But in terms of maintaining a luxury brand, you have to keep up with the rest of the market."

Elliott doesn't deny that Honda comes first. The company, he says, has rightly focused on keeping Honda competitive.

"Honda has to succeed first and then Acura," Elliott says. "Without Honda, there is no Acura."

Habiib 10-09-2003 02:40 PM

For some reason that sounds familiar:scratch:. Isn't that what Infiniti was saying before their big turnaround? I'm already guessing that some might fuss about acura wanting to be a luxury performance brand, but they won't convert to RWD...or something like that. :blahblah:

darth62 10-09-2003 02:57 PM

USAToday article on Acura sales troubles

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...08-acura_x.htm

Thoughts?

Apologies if previously posted.

acura_driver 10-09-2003 02:59 PM

I do think that Acura dropped the ball. They entered the scene with a bang in '86. Both the Legend and Integra were very good in their day. I bought an '86 Legend then. It would look dated now, but at that time the styling was fresh and looked great, and it was well designed.

Acura then fell behind. They didn't have any models that I was interested in buying. Until the CL-S came out. And now the 04 TL. Perhaps this is a sign that Acura is back on track?

-r

dabuda 10-09-2003 03:04 PM

looks like this was just posted right before yours...
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3345

CTyler 10-09-2003 03:11 PM

Originally posted by acura_driver
I do think that Acura dropped the ball. They entered the scene with a bang in '86. Both the Legend and Integra were very good in their day. I bought an '86 Legend then. It would look dated now, but at that time the styling was fresh and looked great, and it was well designed.

Acura then fell behind. They didn't have any models that I was interested in buying. Until the CL-S came out. And now the 04 TL. Perhaps this is a sign that Acura is back on track?

-r

Yep, the Legend was a VERY NICE car. I LOVED the coupe. I ended up with a black 98 Accord V-6 coupe since it was hard to find a good used black Legend coupe in 98.

dabuda 10-09-2003 03:21 PM

i hope the sales for Acura get worse this year! then they'll be forced to offer promotional rebates and financing like GM and Ford have. 0% financing for 48 months along with $2-3K rebate...woohoo! cant wait! :D

dom 10-09-2003 03:23 PM

Re: USA Today Article: Acura sales have taken offramp

Originally posted by CTyler
Of the seven major luxury brands, Acura, created by Honda in 1986, is the only one with declining sales this year.
That statistic right there has to be worrisome for Honda.
I can't figure outs what taking them so long to come out with the SLX? They have all the mechanicals in place.

Never mind the need for a V8 and a RWD Flagship. What Honda needs to do is start paying attention to Acura. The "Legend" should have been redesigned ages ago, and lets not even get into the NSX. Minor facelifts and freshened interiors don't cut it anymore in an industry where 4 or 5 year life cycles are the norm.
I mean we really love the TSX, but the fact is, if Acura really wanted to challenge BMW, Audi and Merc, the TSX would have been a RWD V6 car with 250+ HP.

What Honda did was make a great car for the Japanese and Euro markets and then say "Hey I bet we could make this thing an Acura and sell a few thousand to the Americans" We were an afterthought. Yes we got a great car, but a car primararly designed for European needs and tastes.

dom 10-09-2003 03:29 PM

One more thing, articles like this appearing in the USA Today, which I think it the most read newspaper in the United States, can't be a good thing.

Someone reading that thing is gonna say "Hmmm, looks like Acura is a sinking ship. Forget about that 04 TL, I'll pass by the BMW delaership tonight instead"

prballard 10-09-2003 03:48 PM

Originally posted by domn
One more thing, articles like this appearing in the USA Today, which I think it the most read newspaper in the United States, can't be a good thing.

Someone reading that thing is gonna say "Hmmm, looks like Acura is a sinking ship. Forget about that 04 TL, I'll pass by the BMW delaership tonight instead"

Bad press didn't hurt Nissan/Infinity. A few years ago they were about done, then they started making sexier (if not better cars) and now they are on the rise. I think the new TSX, TL, and hopefully redesigned RL are the shot in the arm Acura needed. If they are good cars, somebody will buy them. I think a mistake they may make is not to have enough cars coming of the line. Remember the 2nd generation TL was hard to find for the first two years of its run. Not much after that the styling became dated and other cars had caught up and surpassed it.

Gebbeth 10-09-2003 03:52 PM

Funny. I think a bunch of us have been trying to say what the USA article has said for quite some time on this board. But often we get shot down as Acura haters (i.e., the Acura dealers on this board).

Acura really needs to get it's head out of its you know what and re-analyze what it exactly means by luxury/performance, because I think something is getting lost in the translation. V8 and RWD/AWD, they are necessities. Otherwise, you are getting a Honda + car and not a "luxury/performance" car on par with Audi or BMW or Lexus (and more and more, Infiniti).

acura_driver 10-09-2003 04:04 PM

I think Acura is moving in the right direction now. The TSX is very good, and is selling well. The TL looks to do the same. If the next new models (RL, NSX, etc.) also do well Acura's sales should climb.

-r