Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by goldmemberer

As far as driver-oriented lux cars go, Acura = Audi.

How you figure that?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
How hard would it be to derive an AWD coupe from the RL, positioned for the mid-luxury market?
I don't think it would be too hard. The last CL failed for many reasons. The delay in introducing the 6spd, styling that needed more updating, and weight.

The look of the car over all was fine but what was the CL's mission. Was it a GT or a BMW 3 series fighter? If it were a GT then it needed the feel of a Jag for example but if it was to compete with the 3 then it was too big length wise and needed a more sporting drive train IMO.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Also with Infinitis new M45, it's damn close to the 5 series. It's got the luxury, and a bunch of magazines have raved about it's sportiness. The RL can't touch either in terms of performance.

RL should be compared to the 530 and a M35.

I would pick an RL over those two.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I don't think it would be too hard. The last CL failed for many reasons. The delay in introducing the 6spd, styling that needed more updating, and weight.

The look of the car over all was fine but what was the CL's mission. Was it a GT or a BMW 3 series fighter? If it were a GT then it needed the feel of a Jag for example but if it was to compete with the 3 then it was too big length wise and needed a more sporting drive train IMO.
Acura still largely seems to exist as a means of pulling more money out of people after they 'outgrow' Accords. Lexus has been very successful getting people to upgrade from regular Toyotas, or GM cars when Cadillac was in its throes of lethargy.

BTW: I love your signature.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Pro

The biggest problem the RL has is the same one ALL Honda's and Acura's have and that is the tires!

With an A-Spec suspension kit and new tires and/or new 18" wheels then the RL would be a more sporting car.

The M35 and the 530 can be had with sport packages that make them handle better.

Acura's "handling" package cost what, 4k.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
RL should be compared to the 530 and a M35.

I would pick an RL over those two.
Imagine if the RL came in a V8 model, it could give the M45, and th 5 series a serious run for their money.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:52 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It seems Acura will not commit. They will not commit to high-end lux, nor will they commit to the sport side of things. They like being the "next step" for Honda buyers.

The RL as great as it is, is not in the same class as a 5 series, or LS...etc. It's in it's own class.
It is not a destinctive eye-catching design, no V8...but AWD is nice. It seems Acura does not want to beat the competition, but rather offer some sort of alternative....whatever that is.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 03TL-S
BMW cars are RWD and focus more on sportiness as does infiniti.
I'm trying to figure out what they meant in the "Fukui says Acura will continue as a sporty performance brand. It will not attempt to be a luxury brand like Lexus."

Does this mean Acura will try to compete with the sporty models offered by BMW and Infinti ?? Will Acura offer more RWD cars (remember the NSX and S2000 are RWD), or are they just going to stick with the FWD/SH-AWD type platforms ??

My CLS 6spd is a decent "sport/lux" car, but it's not as sporty as some of the competitions RWD cars. I bought the CLS thinking I wanted a "compromise" type vehicle. FWD, so it would be easier to drive in the winter, but with enough balls to make it fun. It does that, and does it well, and for an excellent price, but I find myself wanting a little more sportiness and a lot less compromise...

Commitment, that's a good word. Lets see if acura can commit to putting out more and more sportscars that the average joe can buy and not just a flagship like the NSX....
Old 12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
...The RL as great as it is, is not in the same class as a 5 series, or LS...etc. It's in it's own class.
It is not a destinctive eye-catching design, no V8...but AWD is nice. It seems Acura does not want to beat the competition, but rather offer some sort of alternative....whatever that is.
How is the RL not direct competition to the 5-series? And as for the RL competing with the LS...it was never intended to compete with the LS. I am curious as to why some are eager to compare the RL to the LS.

However, to say that the RL is an "alternative" would put it in the same league as the Lexus LS, which is merely a quasi prestige-luxury sedan. The LS is not direct competition for the uber-sedans from Germany's best because of a lack of interior space and style, but is too stodgy and luxury oriented to play with the midsize sport sedans.

But the RL fits the bill as a midsize-lux sedan in all areas. The exterior and interior are the same size as the midsize competition. Price is similar. Features are similar. Interior materials are similar. Technology is similar. How does the RL not compare?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I'm trying to figure out what they meant in the "Fukui says Acura will continue as a sporty performance brand. It will not attempt to be a luxury brand like Lexus."

Does this mean Acura will try to compete with the sporty models offered by BMW and Infinti ?? Will Acura offer more RWD cars (remember the NSX and S2000 are RWD), or are they just going to stick with the FWD/SH-AWD type platforms ??

My CLS 6spd is a decent "sport/lux" car, but it's not as sporty as some of the competitions RWD cars. I bought the CLS thinking I wanted a "compromise" type vehicle. FWD, so it would be easier to drive in the winter, but with enough balls to make it fun. It does that, and does it well, and for an excellent price, but I find myself wanting a little more sportiness and a lot less compromise...

Commitment, that's a good word. Lets see if acura can commit to putting out more and more sportscars that the average joe can buy and not just a flagship like the NSX....
Honestly, i dont get what their motive is for acura. Acura is supposed to be the luxury line of honda and now they are saying they are not attempting to be a luxury brand but rather a sporty brand. They are seriously doing something wrong. At least BMW and infiniti are established as luxury brands but focus on driver enjoyment and performance
Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro

Ok, I think the comment regarding Acura being a performace brand and not a luxury brand is straight forward. Yes, Acura will continue to offer luxury features but they will no longer target Lexus. Remember the first RL was ment to go against the Lexus LS and Infiniti Q. The RL lacked the size, RWD, and V8 to play with those two.

Acura will therefore ignore the "Ultra Luxury Package" approach that Lexus uses on the LS or some sort of "Journey Package" as Infiniti uses. I mention those packages because for the most part they add alot of bells and whistles.

Lexus is attempting to offer more sport but so for only the IS is delivering and still the VDIM cuts the fun off (the GS 400 suffers the same problem). So, Acura will forget the electronic dodads to "increase" handling. I would also venture to say that air suspension systems, to increase the ride comfort, are out for the near future. It is those things and other "luxury" features that Acura may ignore.

The RDX may not give us a clear picture but the next TSX and TL sure will.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

Good point.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I just got my latest issue of Acura Expressions, the Canadian mag for Acura owners. In the foreword they talk about how Acura is stepping up their image with the CSX.

It concentrates on the CSX and has many photos that make the CSX look upscale.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I just got my latest issue of Acura Expressions, the Canadian mag for Acura owners. In the foreword they talk about how Acura is stepping up their image with the CSX.

If rebadging a Civic is what they call stepping up then Acura is in deeper trouble than I thought. The CSX is great for what it is. A vehicle that makes Canadian Acura dealers happy and profitable.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
That blowed up real good!

Originally Posted by dom
The CSX is great for what it is. A vehicle that makes Canadian Acura dealers happy and profitable.
...now that the Civic Si will be stealing all the RSX buyers. I wonder how the 'Merican Acura dealers feel about this.

Hey, where's the CSX forums anyways?

Last edited by Weck; 12-29-2005 at 11:49 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Weck
... now that the Civic Si will be stealing all the RSX buyers. I wonder how the 'Merican Acura dealers feel about this.

Acutally from what I've heard, The RSX is being discontinued. This year is the last year it will be in the US from what some people I know told me at Cerritos Acura.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

acurazine.ca might be tough to read, 'cause there's alot of french speaking members
Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Like RSX and NSX, there is a huge EL forum out there already, no reason for us to compete with them.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by slyraskal
Acutally from what I've heard, The RSX is being discontinued. This year is the last year it will be in the US from what some people I know told me at Cerritos Acura.
http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/ has 2006 as the final year...

If that's the case, acura needs a coupe even more since the CL coupe, NSX 2 seater coupe and RSX hatchback will be missing from the lineup.

It's gonna be kinda tough to support the "sporty performance" company philosophy without a single coupe in the whole lineup
Old 12-29-2005, 02:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/ has 2006 as the final year...

If that's the case, acura needs a coupe even more since the CL coupe, NSX 2 seater coupe and RSX hatchback will be missing from the lineup.

It's gonna be kinda tough to support the "sporty performance" company philosophy without a single coupe in the whole lineup

Instead of devoting all that money and R&D to building a plane Honda should have put it towards developing a RWD platform. Makes me sick when I think about it.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Instead of devoting all that money and R&D to building a plane Honda should have put it towards developing a RWD platform. Makes me sick when I think about it.
I like Asimo and the solar cell stuff tho'

They already have RWD platforms (s2000 and NSX), I just don't know why they can't squeeze in a couple more
Old 12-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink 2002

I had to lookup some info on the Honda Prelude & came across this article where the RSX won a comparison test. The 1st paragraph is rather interesting - does it still hold true today?

Inside Line Comparison
First Place - 2002 Acura RSX Type-S

When it comes to making sport coupes and hatchbacks, very few companies seem to "get it" more than Honda. Ever since the mid- to late-'80s, Honda has been the go-to automaker for fun-to-drive cars that are nimble, enjoyable and easy on the wallet. The Civic and Acura Integra are currently kings of the modern hot-rod movement and have a huge aftermarket backing. So should it come as any surprise that the Acura RSX is the winner of this test?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I like Asimo and the solar cell stuff tho'

They already have RWD platforms (s2000 and NSX), I just don't know why they can't squeeze in a couple more

I was thinking a flexible platform like the G/350Z/M etc platform from Nissan. In fact I think the S2000/NSX platform is totally unflexible.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Originally Posted by goldmemberer
As far as driver-oriented lux cars go, Acura = Audi.
How you figure that?
Primarily FWD drivetrains, but I'm really only comparing the similarly priced & sized counterparts from Acura & Audi... A4 vs. TSX/TL. A6 vs. RL, etc. Both companies make nicely styled cars with gorgeous interiors but their cars aren't particularly sporty without modification. Not as much as the entries by BMW and Infiniti to the respective segments, anyhow.

"Similarly priced" excluded, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the S and RS models. The RS4 has me, a coupe man, diggin it.

Last edited by goldmemberer; 12-29-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Banned

NSX is going out of production, S2000's future isn't secure. Honda should be working on new RWD cars NOW if they want to roll them out later this decade.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I was thinking a flexible platform like the G/350Z/M etc platform from Nissan. In fact I think the S2000/NSX platform is totally unflexible.
Yeah, that's the way most car makers are set up (i.e. Lexus GS and IS). I'm not sure why H/A went the route they did with their rwd platforms, but hopefully they have noted the errors in their ways...
Old 12-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
I must be dyslexic, I thought the thread name said "autopsies" Doh!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by dom

If rebadging a Civic is what they call stepping up then Acura is in deeper trouble than I thought. The CSX is great for what it is. A vehicle that makes Canadian Acura dealers happy and profitable.
By the way, you gotta love how Acura Expressions manages to write a couple of articles about the CSX without once mentioning the word "Civic".
Old 12-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
Ok, I think the comment regarding Acura being a performace brand and not a luxury brand is straight forward. Yes, Acura will continue to offer luxury features but they will no longer target Lexus. Remember the first RL was ment to go against the Lexus LS and Infiniti Q. The RL lacked the size, RWD, and V8 to play with those two.

Acura will therefore ignore the "Ultra Luxury Package" approach that Lexus uses on the LS or some sort of "Journey Package" as Infiniti uses. I mention those packages because for the most part they add alot of bells and whistles.

Lexus is attempting to offer more sport but so for only the IS is delivering and still the VDIM cuts the fun off (the GS 400 suffers the same problem). So, Acura will forget the electronic dodads to "increase" handling. I would also venture to say that air suspension systems, to increase the ride comfort, are out for the near future. It is those things and other "luxury" features that Acura may ignore.

The RDX may not give us a clear picture but the next TSX and TL sure will.
I thought the Acura Legend(now RL) that went against the Lexus and Infiniti sedans back in the day was very popular. The Q45 was also on point. But both Acura and Infiniti lost it by not coming up with new products, Lexus moved ahead at a steady pace.

Not offering the safety devices Lexus offers now on the Is350 goes against the Honda/Acura brand philosophies, so no, that idea doesn't work.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I must be dyslexic, I thought the thread name said "autopsies" Doh!
I must be dyslexic because I kept readiing what you wrote as autospies.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Instructor

It concentrates on the CSX and has many photos that make the CSX look upscale.
Rebadging the company's econo car with their luxury car badges = disgrace.

Hopefully, this is the beginning of greater consistency amongst cars/names worldwide. The company will produce V10 and V8 engines for the NSX replacement and luxury cars/trucks respectively.

Dropping lower priced cars like the RSX is necessary for brand equity.

Everything about their shift in strategy is appealing and long overdue. It would have been nice to see seperate design studios (let the folks who designed the TSX and TL do Acura), but I think we will see styling improvements now that the brands will be seperate everywhere.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:46 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Rebadging the company's econo car with their luxury car badges = disgrace.

Hopefully, this is the beginning of greater consistency amongst cars/names worldwide. The company will produce V10 and V8 engines for the NSX replacement and luxury cars/trucks respectively.

Dropping lower priced cars like the RSX is necessary for brand equity.

Everything about their shift in strategy is appealing and long overdue. It would have been nice to see seperate design studios (let the folks who designed the TSX and TL do Acura), but I think we will see styling improvements now that the brands will be seperate everywhere.

Just a quick question: Does you last name represent the car you own

Anyways they have to bring back the 95 legend coupe 6spd with a 3.5 with 300hp....before the turbo setup in an ASpec version. If that doesnt sell ....
Old 01-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slyraskal

I hope they introduce a coupe version of the TSX... I think I saw a photoshop of such car...

This is a crappy chop, the one I'm talking about was better, but at least it's something:

Old 01-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by swift22
Just a quick question: Does you last name represent the car you own
I had a 91 Legend sedan (orignal owners) , but we sold it last year. I'm driving a G35 coupe now.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dozorca
I hope they introduce a coupe version of the TSX... I think I saw a photoshop of such car...

This is a crappy chop, the one I'm talking about was better, but at least it's something:

Very aggressive!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Somebody posted on TOV from Acura's Style magazine that the upcoming RDX is going to be turbo charged.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by dozorca

OMG this is like the Homer Simpson car...
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
OMG this is like the Homer Simpson car...
I didn't want to sour the mood, but I thought it was a hideous chop as well.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by savage
some SAT Verbal prep for you guys...

lexus is to mercedes-benz

as

acura is to bmw
yes...that was my thinking too!!!!!!!!!!!

Lexus --> Mercedes-Benz
reason: Luxury and comfort

Acura --> BMW
reason: Handling and performance

Infiniti --> Audi
reason: Both Almost being closed down before (Nissan (1999), Audi (1994?))
From what I 've heard is that the 1st gen A4 had saved Audi's live.

Also, what I 've read before is that Acura will be launched by 08 in Japan...
finally... we will see ACURAs in Japan and those USDM Hondas will not be longer to compare with Acuras and saying that Acura = Honda
esp. those Accord Coupe-ers saying Accord Coupe is a JDM Inspire

Last edited by vincentliwf; 01-05-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Somebody posted on TOV from Acura's Style magazine that the upcoming RDX is going to be turbo charged.

This is no new news. Look for the RDX thread in this forum for more info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News