Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
^ Don't know why there's a need to post an image of the new RDX when pretty much everyone here knows what it looks like (while an improvement in certain areas, still kinda butt in others).

B/c they compete in the same segment at around the same price-range.

The majority of buyers don't care about handling and performance; that's why Acura got rid of SH-AWD for a cheaper AWD system in the old RDX and customers in the Sun belt demanded that Acura offer the MDX in FWD.

The MDX is not really any more spacious than the RX-L and you really think the next NX will stay the same size? lol

Must be why the RDX and MDX have been beating the NX and RX in sales - oh, wait...

And it's well known that the Acura CUVs are heavily cross-shopped w/ its Japanese competition.

Honda knows and admits that.

Right, b/c numerous auto reviews didn't say - why get the ILX when the Civic is superior...

I think he posted a picture of MDX... They all look the same
Old 06-01-2018, 12:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Not a big overall financial impact but NSX sales are -65% from last year.
Early adopter and alphas buyers are done.

CRV sales increase doesn't surprise me, we have our 2017 over a year now and it's been a great small SUV.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

I think most of us had predicated that would be the case for NSX..... after the initial 1-2 years, it will be dead. Not a bad car but too expensive and nothing stands out.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
NSX production will probably continue for 6-8 years, accounting for amortization of development and operations cost.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
^ Don't know why there's a need to post an image of the new RDX when pretty much everyone here knows what it looks like (while an improvement in certain areas, still kinda butt in others).
new RDX is improvement in all areas. not just some. it just show how much non sense written.

B/c they compete in the same segment at around the same price-range.
they not same segment or price range. its like comparing Corrolla to Civic.

The majority of buyers don't care about handling and performance; that's why Acura got rid of SH-AWD for a cheaper AWD system in the old RDX and customers in the Sun belt demanded that Acura offer the MDX in FWD.
They do care about handling. Superhandling and performance is trade mark of Acura. even the hybrid MDX and RLX faster than Lexus hybrids.

The MDX is not really any more spacious than the RX-L and you really think the next NX will stay the same size? lol
it does. next MDX will be even bigger. just like Pilot is bigger than Highlander. NX has two more years before it get new design. its turbo engine is too weak. unless Toyota make faster 4 cyinder turbo engine with super handling. there is no way NX can compete with RDX and RDX does not even offer hybrids.

Must be why the RDX and MDX have been beating the NX and RX in sales - oh, wait...
Sales not everything in premium class. Most lexus CPO offer 2 year free maintaince.

And it's well known that the Acura CUVs are heavily cross-shopped w/ its Japanese competition.

Honda knows and admits that.
it is irrelevant where it crossshoped. Acura CUVs has there own unique capability and they are sold as such. they are not Buick.

Right, b/c numerous auto reviews didn't say - why get the ILX when the Civic is superior...
ILX is ono old platform. Honda has Clarity that as luxurious as TLX. As I said you stick with low grade Hyundais.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
they not same segment or price range. its like comparing Corrolla to Civic.
Corolla & Civic, along with Sentra, Mazda3, Cruze, Focus, et al are in exactly the same segment & price group.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Old 06-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
NSX production will probably continue for 6-8 years, accounting for amortization of development and operations cost.
I sure hope so! I'll be possibly in the market for one a few years down the road...I'll need some nice examples that have depreciated!
Old 06-01-2018, 04:01 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Corolla & Civic, along with Sentra, Mazda3, Cruze, Focus, et al are in exactly the same segment & price group.
"it just show how much non sense written"
RPhilMan1 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 04:02 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I think he posted a picture of MDX... They all look the same
You're right; just took a real quick glance at it (pretty much the front) and mistook it for the new RDX. lol

Not sure what the point is in posting an image of the MDX (all of us know what it looks like); but he has a track record of posting images of Acura models as rebuttals - as if it is proof of how awesome (or good-looking) Acura models are. lol

]new RDX is improvement in all areas. not just some. it just show how much non sense written.
Based on the early reviews, seems to be improved all-around, except that wouldn't say its necessarily better-looking than its predecessor.

The current Acura grille design is actually worse than the toned-down beak.

ILX is ono old platform. Honda has Clarity that as luxurious as TLX. As I said you stick with low grade Hyundais.
Which is exactly my point. (Didn't I already say that?)

It's a problem when the Honda gets the new/better platform before the Acura.

As for low-grade, not only does the new Santa Fe make the interior of the Pilot look low rent, the interior of the Palisade will make it even more so.

And that's only Hyundai; as Kia tends to have higher grade interiors.

And being as luxurious as the TLX isn't exactly a high bar; speaking of which, Acura wishes the TLX has gotten the press clippings that the Stinger has gotten.

They do care about handling. Superhandling and performance is trade mark of Acura. even the hybrid MDX and RLX faster than Lexus hybrids.
No, the majority of buyers (whether luxury or not) don't.

Cadillac and Jaguar have bested BMW when it came to driving dynamics (but in the process scrimped on interior space and luxury) and despite that, sales of their sedans haven't taken off (the larger 2G CTS sold much better than the ATS despite the ATS being a much sharper handler).

Aside from AMG variants, Mercedes sedans aren't particularly known for their driving dynamics - but what they are known for is comfort/luxury.

Which is why the S Class far outsells the 7 Series and why the E Class has overtaken the 5 Series.

Same reason why Mazda sales lag way behind despite being known as the driver's brand among the mainstream makes.

Acura went away from SH-AWD and the more performance orientation of the 1G RDX b/c too many buyers weren't willing to pay the premium (hence, the 2G RDX getting the cheaper, more basic AWD system); sales of the RDX improved with the more mainstream 2G model.

It's the same reason Acura started to offer the MDX in FWD form (many buyers didn't care about SH-AWD).

(Geeze, do you know anything about Acura?)

it does. next MDX will be even bigger. just like Pilot is bigger than Highlander. NX has two more years before it get new design. its turbo engine is too weak. unless Toyota make faster 4 cyinder turbo engine with super handling. there is no way NX can compete with RDX and RDX does not even offer hybrids.
And the next RX will get larger, as will the Highlander.

Sales not everything in premium class. Most lexus CPO offer 2 year free maintaince.
Right, b/c luxury auto brand want to sell fewer vehicles - makes them more exclusive (just like the RLX).

Last edited by YEH; 06-01-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I think most of us had predicated that would be the case for NSX..... after the initial 1-2 years, it will be dead. Not a bad car but too expensive and nothing stands out.
Makes me wonder how the i8 even sells still. That thing sucks. It's not fast, nor does it have any decent range. The battery runs dry after 23 miles, and then you're left with a 1.3L Turbo And it costs just as much as an NSX. And it sells WAY more units than the NSX. I don't get it. Badge boys, likely, just wanting to be cool.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

it is irrelevant where it crossshoped. Acura CUVs has there own unique capability and they are sold as such. they are not Buick.
Glad you brought up Buick, b/c that's another brand that Acura is most often compared to/cross-shopped with.

Before it got canceled, the Verano was seen as the most direct competitor to the ILX and the Regal is seen as the most direct competitor to the TLX.

And the RDX gets cross-shopped with the Envision and the MDX with the Enclave.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
you can create Insight, Civic Si, Civic Sport, Civic Type R based on Civic platform. but you cant do it with Corrolla. Corrolla has that cheap rental value at this point. Even Honda fit is priced higher at transactional level.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

And the next RX will get larger, as will the Highlander.

MDX and Pilot both bigger are way faster than RX/Highlander with better fuel economic. how slow will be RX/highlander when you make RX/Highlander larger?
Which is why the S Class far outsells the 7 Series and why the E Class has overtaken the 5 Series.
S and Mercedes has much catched than BMW once you go into higher prices. Just look at MBs in official cars around the world and compare it to BMW.
Acura went away from SH-AWD and the more performance orientation of the 1G RDX b/c too many buyers weren't willing to pay the premium (hence, the 2G RDX getting the cheaper, more basic AWD system); sales of the RDX improved with the more mainstream 2G model
Acura went back to SH-AWD. it mean they don't care about sales based on your twisted logic. It is too provide higher performance.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Makes me wonder how the i8 even sells still. That thing sucks. It's not fast, nor does it have any decent range. The battery runs dry after 23 miles, and then you're left with a 1.3L Turbo And it costs just as much as an NSX. And it sells WAY more units than the NSX. I don't get it. Badge boys, likely, just wanting to be cool.
i8 by itself is not good. The interior is nice and it felt very futuristic when i sat in it. But as far as a $150k performance car, it is laughable. But like you said, it is a BMW. That alone will sell more than NSX. If NSX had BMW badge, it would be a very different story today.

A lot of people are still willing to pay 35k for a base 320 with Halogen light in 2018
RPhilMan1 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 07:05 PM
_

Seems most are struggling to sell sedans in this CUV/SUV/truck dominated market

May 2017 vs May 2018 sales

Acura TLX = 3,508 --> 2,723 (-22.38%)

Audi A4 = 3,329 --> 3,472 (+4.30%)

BMW 3 series = 4,453 --> 3,428 (-23.02%)

BMW 4 series = 3,895 --> 2,937 (-24.60%)

<< No Buick, Cadillac numbers since GM stopped reporting monthly sales numbers >>

Infiniti Q50 = 3,370 --> 2,945 (-12.61%)

Infiniti Q60 = 972 --> 848 (-12.76%)

Lexus ES = 4,228 --> 3,828 (-9.46%)

Lexus IS = 2,367 --> 2,180 (-7.90%)

Lincoln MKZ = 2,801 --> 1,800 (-35.74%)

Lincoln Continental = 1,061 --> 660 (-37.79%)

Mercedes C Class = 6,996 --> 5,419 (-22.54%)

Volvo S60 = 1,055 --> 535 (-49.29%)

Volvo S90 = 473 --> 781 (+65.12%)
Old 06-02-2018, 01:02 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
i8 by itself is not good. The interior is nice and it felt very futuristic when i sat in it. But as far as a $150k performance car, it is laughable. But like you said, it is a BMW. That alone will sell more than NSX. If NSX had BMW badge, it would be a very different story today.

A lot of people are still willing to pay 35k for a base 320 with Halogen light in 2018
Yea, the NSX is priced too high for an Acura, that IMO is its main problem. It's not that fast compared to the competition but I agree, a BMW badge would help a lot. I drove it back to back with a R8 V10 Plus and I felt the NSX was a more fun to drive car. I didn't quite feel the power difference on the track. I was doing better lap times in the NSX too.

I heard the NSX engine alone is like $75k. So it's actually not the hybrid system making the car expensive. That engine is literally a race car engine. I personally think if they intend on dropping the price of the NSX, using a more "pedestrian" engine might help. They are developing a new 3.0T right now. They can use that, enlarge it to 3.5, and tune it for NSX purpose, and should save a lot of money.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:45 AM
Safety Car

Genesis G90 sales are now close to Acura RLX and RLX is on old platform and engine.
https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...may-sales.html

G90 bargain basement price, RWD, V8 is not helping as it goes into 2nd year.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:40 PM
_

Genesis G90 sales are now close to Acura RLX and RLX is on old platform and engine.
https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...may-sales.html

G90 and RLX sales "are now close"?

The G90 outsold the RLX in May by almost 45%. And the G90 is priced higher than the RLX too. Okay, G90 sales are on the decline from what they were a year ago, I'll give you that. But I wouldn't call an almost 45% difference between it and the RLX "close."

Besides, the G90 and RLX aren't even in the same class. The G80 completes with the RLX. And the G80 outsold the RLX by 415.34% (840 vs 163).

You don't find it sad that the (lower priced) RLX which had a 15 year head start to market before the G90 (previously Equus) has lower sales? If Acura actually had a model in the same class as the G90, how well do you think it would sell? Based on RLX sales, I'd say it would be even worse.

Hypothetical scenario: If you asked your boss why your co-worker who does the same exact job you do but gets paid 45% more and your boss said he doesn't see anything wrong, that the pay is "close," would you say he's right and walk away?
The following 3 users liked this post by AZuser:
oonowindoo (06-04-2018), RPhilMan1 (06-04-2018), YEH (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

All I am saying is G90 is steep decline in its second year and few hundred sells a year difference wont matter as it is RWD and V8 platform. Yeh always made fun of RLX costing Honda. he is not seeing Hyundai reality. Poor brand cannot afford separate dealership
RLX hybrid system more shared with MDX/NSX. and platform is old FWD. it can afford lower sales.
in 2nd Year RLX has 3500 sales with 6speed auto (competiton had 8speed auto) and no hybrid or turbo.. which will be higher than what G90 can achieve in 2018. in its second year.

some regions has 5 year service and at home delivery and pickup.
https://owners.genesis.com/us/en/res...intenance.html
Everything about owning a Genesis should be effortless, and that includes keeping your vehicle running smoothly. That’s why your G90 comes with complimentary normal scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles, including:
  • Engine oil and filter replacement
  • Tire rotation
  • Air cleaner filter replacement
  • Climate control air filter replacement (for evaporator and blower unit)
Old 06-03-2018, 05:12 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

you can create Insight, Civic Si, Civic Sport, Civic Type R based on Civic platform. but you cant do it with Corrolla. Corrolla has that cheap rental value at this point. Even Honda fit is priced higher at transactional level.
If you actually knew anything, you'd know that the new Corolla (including the hatch version) is based on the TNGA platform and hence, will be markedly sportier.

Both Toyota and Lexus have been under orders from Akio to get sportier (there's been talk of Toyota doing a Gazoo Racing hot hatch version of the new Corolla).

MDX and Pilot both bigger are way faster than RX/Highlander with better fuel economic. how slow will be RX/highlander when you make RX/Highlander larger?
Like I had stated, the RX/Highlander will be getting larger and they will be getting Toyota's new, more fuel efficient powertrains (not to mention Toyota's latest hybrid systems).

The 3-row version of the RX is actually longer than the MDX - 196.9" to 196.2".

S and Mercedes has much catched than BMW once you go into higher prices. Just look at MBs in official cars around the world and compare it to BMW.
Of course (who stated otherwise?).

BMW once ruled the roost when it came to the midsize sedan segment w/ the 5 Series, but MB has surpassed them w/ the E Class.

And in various markets, MB has even surpassed the 3er w/ the C Class (remains to be seen if the new 3 Series can reverse that trend).

Acura went back to SH-AWD. it mean they don't care about sales based on your twisted logic. It is too provide higher performance.
So Acura didn't go away from SH-AWD?

To chase sales via lowering the price of entry.

And what they are doing now is no different from pretty much everyone else - chasing the Germans (and hence, chasing sales) and trying to ensure that they survive in an ever increasing autonomous driving world.

Everyone has become more focused on performance/handling (look at what Lexus has done w/ the LS 500) as they want the cachet the Germans have, as well as the premiums the Germans charge for M, AMG and RS variants.

But it's not only that, in an ever increasing autonomous driving world - the industry will be divided btwn autonomous vehicle (pod) makers and those that appeal to people who still want to take the steering wheel from time to time.

With the new RDX, Acura targeted the Europeans (mostly Germans).

WHISTLER, BC, Canada – Acura hopes to woo buyers of the Audi Q5, BMW X3, Mercedes GLC and Volvo XC60 to its third-gen RDX.“Those four brands really resonate with (luxury buyers we surveyed) as sort of the benchmarks, or what they consider to be the exciting vehicles,” Gary Robinson, senior manager-product planning for American Honda, tells media here at a ’19 RDX preview. To best those four European-brand CUVs, Acura says it dialed up the performance and styling of the RDX, admitting the outgoing second-gen model lacks those “emotional” attributes the Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Volvo CUVs have in spades.
Acura | Sets Sights on Europeans With New RDX | Industry content from WardsAuto

Well, who hasn't?

Last edited by YEH; 06-03-2018 at 05:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YEH:
00TL-P3.2 (06-04-2018), RPhilMan1 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 12:49 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
If you actually knew anything, you'd know that the new Corolla (including the hatch version) is based on the TNGA platform and hence, will be markedly sportier.

Both Toyota and Lexus have been under orders from Akio to get sportier (there's been talk of Toyota doing a Gazoo Racing hot hatch version of the new Corolla).
so you have tested new Corrolla hatch with TNGA platform and it can pull 0.93 g like Civic Sport?. As I a said you know nothing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/civic
And grip! How does 0.93 g on the skidpad and a 160-foot stop from 70 mph sound? That’s the same stopping distance and just 0.01 g shy of a BMW 340i xDr
ive riding on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

Like I had stated, the RX/Highlander will be getting larger and they will be getting Toyota's new, more fuel efficient powertrains (not to mention Toyota's latest hybrid systems).

The 3-row version of the RX is actually longer than the MDX - 196.9" to 196.2".
Come back once they actually get bigger not just long bumper.

Of course (who stated otherwise?).

BMW once ruled the roost when it came to the midsize sedan segment w/ the 5 Series, but MB has surpassed them w/ the E Class.

And in various markets, MB has even surpassed the 3er w/ the C Class (remains to be seen if the new 3 Series can reverse that trend).
MB always had higher prestige than BMW. it was its Chrysler merger that damage the brand. it is world oldest car company.

So Acura didn't go away from SH-AWD?

To chase sales via lowering the price of entry.

And what they are doing now is no different from pretty much everyone else - chasing the Germans (and hence, chasing sales) and trying to ensure that they survive in an ever increasing autonomous driving world.
They are making brand premium. not chasing sales per say. RDX without SHAWD and old Non-DI engine with only 6speed auto has good sales.
Everyone has become more focused on performance/handling (look at what Lexus has done w/ the LS 500) as they want the cachet the Germans have, as well as the premiums the Germans charge for M, AMG and RS variants.
LS500 not much faster than RLX.
But it's not only that, in an ever increasing autonomous driving world - the industry will be divided btwn autonomous vehicle (pod) makers and those that appeal to people who still want to take the steering wheel from time to time.

With the new RDX, Acura targeted the Europeans (mostly Germans).

Acura Sets Sights on Europeans With New RDX Industry content from WardsAuto

Well, who hasn't?
Honda has money and technology to surpass Germans not chase. pound per pound. the vehicles are better quality. it does not need free maintaince and subsidized leases to same extent.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

Other than VW... Germans dont care about Honda.....
Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
My only hope is that these posts are archived in some sort of easily decryptable time capsule for future civilizations to discover to highlight the absurdity of our people.
RPhilMan1 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 05:06 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

All I am saying is G90 is steep decline in its second year and few hundred sells a year difference wont matter as it is RWD and V8 platform. Yeh always made fun of RLX costing Honda. he is not seeing Hyundai reality. Poor brand cannot afford separate dealership.
Which is not what you had stated (don't start back-peddling now).

And who's fault is it that the RLX is on an old platform?

By the time Honda gets around to updating the RLX (if they don't cancel it), the G90 will be on an all-new platform with updated powertrains (an all-new G80 is due for 2020), and the fairly substantial face-lift should boost G90 sales in the time-being (the biggest problem for the G90 is its overly safe/bland sheetmetal; design to suit the Korean market).

Speaking of which, the G90 still sells 1k/month in Korea and the new K900 hit the 1k mark as well.

Add to that the 3k+ the G80 still sells in SK and the 3 sell over 5k/month in Korea.

That's pretty good amortization of the same basic platform and powertrains.

In fact, much better than what Toyota gets out of the RWD Lexus models.

In April, the entire Lexus line-up sold 4,632 in Japan (which has 3x the pop. of SK), so the EQ900/G90, G80 and K900 by themselves outsold Lexus in their respective domestic markets (and that's not counting the G70 and Stinger).

And the bulk of Lexus sales (like here) is FWD, with the 2 best sellers being the NX and CT (the CT being the 2nd best selling model, but still only selling 586.).

The LS and GS do a fraction of what the EQ900/G90, Q80 and K900 do in sales; and even when you add sales of the Toyota Crown series, the Korean RWD models still come out a good chunk ahead.

Would have referenced Acura (Honda) models in Japan, but they are so inconsequential that can't find sales data on them (only get the Top 50 sellers for Japan).

Everyone has to start somewhere; the LS400 launched at a bargain basement price of $35k and its latest iteration, the LS 500 can be had for $75k which isn't that much more than the where the G90 starts.

And what does that say about Acura when they can't/don't even compete in the segment?

The RLX being slotted in the mid-size segment w/ all the other full-size FWD/transverse-based sedans like the XTS, S90 and Continental.

And even then, the RLX gets demolished by the XTS and Conti in sales.

The entire Acura sedan lineup is priced under the Genesis lineup.

And the same will apply to CUVs; the new RDX is priced $6k cheaper than comparably equipped Germans. The Genesis GV70 will be priced closer to the Germans.

RLX hybrid system more shared with MDX/NSX. and platform is old FWD. it can afford lower sales.
in 2nd Year RLX has 3500 sales with 6speed auto (competiton had 8speed auto) and no hybrid or turbo.. which will be higher than what G90 can achieve in 2018. in its second year.
There's lower sales and then there's basically minimal sales.

The RLX never sold well; for its entire run (almost 6 yrs), the RLX has sold around 14k in the US, which is by far its best selling market (Japan barely sells any).

The EQ900/G90 had about that # in pre-orders in Korea and sold around 20k in its 1st year; Hyundai had to double production to 32k/yr in order to meet demand.

Don't recall hearing about Honda having to double RLX production (if anything, the opposite occurred).

And it's not like Acura is foregoing the value play (as stated, the new RDX is priced $6k lower than comparably equipped Germans) and it's not like they aren't still offering the RDX in FWD form.

Last edited by YEH; 06-04-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

^ are you having fun replying?
Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 PM
_

Originally Posted by YEH
Speaking of which, the G90 still sells 1k/month in Korea and the new K900 hit the 1k mark as well.

Add to that the 3k+ the G80 still sells in SK and the 3 sell over 5k/month in Korea.

The fact that they've sold 12,300 EQ900's in Korea in 2017 alone, and from model launch in December 2015 to March 2017 they've sold 23,328 EQ900's in total isn't too bad.

I also like how SSFTSX rounded RLX sales up from actual sales of 3,413 to 3,500... because 3,413 is much closer to 3,500 than to 3,400.

Last edited by AZuser; 06-04-2018 at 05:20 PM.
YEH (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Team Owner

^ he could have rounded up to 4,000.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
Which is not what you had stated (don't start back-peddling now).
I clearly stated that G90 is steep decline in sales in its second year. I very clearly stated that RWD, turbo or V8 engine will not save it. It need 10 year of at home maintainance to sell.

And who's fault is it that the RLX is on an old platform?
Does not matter. Honda very large firm. every platform has its own time. Honda City priority due to Asian sales.
By the time Honda gets around to updating the RLX (if they don't cancel it), the G90 will be on an all-new platform with updated powertrains (an all-new G80 is due for 2020), and the fairly substantial face-lift should boost G90 sales in the time-being (the biggest problem for the G90 is its overly safe/bland sheetmetal; design to suit the Korean market).
I can guarantee you no facelift of G90 will preent its sales decline. despite at home free maintainance. Genesis is worthless brand. that have to give free maintaince.

Korea is captive market. who knows what kind of politics involoved inside Korea to use them.
In fact, much better than what Toyota gets out of the RWD Lexus models.

In April, the entire Lexus line-up sold 4,632 in Japan (which has 3x the pop. of SK), so the EQ900/G90, G80 and K900 by themselves outsold Lexus in their respective domestic markets (and that's not counting the G70 and Stinger).
Japan and Korea different matter.
And the bulk of Lexus sales (like here) is FWD, with the 2 best sellers being the NX and CT (the CT being the 2nd best selling model, but still only selling 586.).
It is like irrelevant talk. as far North American sales. It is like saying Honda sales millions of motor bikes in year.
The LS and GS do a fraction of what the EQ900/G90, Q80 and K900 do in sales; and even when you add sales of the Toyota Crown series, the Korean RWD models still come out a good chunk ahead.
that's why Toyota has $25b in profits and Hyundai has barely $2b in profits. you have no understanding how brand value is created.
Would have referenced Acura (Honda) models in Japan, but they are so inconsequential that can't find sales data on them (only get the Top 50 sellers for Japan).
Honda make far more money in Japan than Hyundai group can make money in Korea.

Everyone has to start somewhere; the LS400 launched at a bargain basement price of $35k and its latest iteration, the LS 500 can be had for $75k which isn't that much more than the where the G90 starts.
it was $40k with options and that is almost equal to $100k now.
And what does that say about Acura when they can't/don't even compete in the segment?
where you get this idea.
The RLX being slotted in the mid-size segment w/ all the other full-size FWD/transverse-based sedans like the XTS, S90 and Continental.
RLX pull more Gs than Genesis G90, Lexus LS, MB, BMW on skinny tires. you have no idea about its technology.
And even then, the RLX gets demolished by the XTS and Conti in sales.
As I said sales not criteria for prestige.
The entire Acura sedan lineup is priced under the Genesis lineup.
that free maintaince and big discounts.
And the same will apply to CUVs; the new RDX is priced $6k cheaper than comparably equipped Germans. The Genesis GV70 will be priced closer to the Germans.
RDX does not come with expensive run flat tires, free maintaince. I cannot keep repeat in every line. you know nothing.
MDX turn radius is superior to lexus RX by 6 feet. This is called superior technology implementation.

There's lower sales and then there's basically minimal sales.

The RLX never sold well; for its entire run (almost 6 yrs), the RLX has sold around 14k in the US, which is by far its best selling market (Japan barely sells any).
14000 is excellent sales for the technology it selling.
The EQ900/G90 had about that # in pre-orders in Korea and sold around 20k in its 1st year; Hyundai had to double production to 32k/yr in order to meet demand.
Keep repeating about Korea. Genesis cannot afford the dealer network like Acura. its worth less brand for consumer point of view.
Don't recall hearing about Honda having to double RLX production (if anything, the opposite occurred).

And it's not like Acura is foregoing the value play (as stated, the new RDX is priced $6k lower than comparably equipped Germans) and it's not like they aren't still offering the RDX in FWD form.
comparable equipped? how you know comparable equipped? RLX has 8inch screen. German used over 10 inch wide screen. RLX use cheaper non turbo engine.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:37 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

so you have tested new Corrolla hatch with TNGA platform and it can pull 0.93 g like Civic Sport?. As I a said you know nothing.
The early/overseas reviews of the new Corolla have been pretty positive.

Remains to be seen if it'll beat the Civic Si, much less a Gazoo/TRD version beating the Type-R.

Considering the i30N has beaten the Type-R in its fair share of comparison tests, it's possible that the Toyota can as well.

And even if it doesn't, the point still remains that Toyota (and Lexus) models are getting sportier, so it's not like Honda is doing anything special w/ the Civic.

Come back once they actually get bigger not just long bumper.
Like I had stated, the next RX will get larger.

Sure, Toyota took the cheap method w/ the RX-L, but that doesn't stop the RX-L being priced $3.5k higher than the MDX to start.

In fact, the 2-row RX is priced only $1k less than the MDX to start and the RX blows away the MDX in sales.

Considering the value proposition the MDX has on the 2-row RX, one would think that MDX would outsell the RX, or, at the very least, sell on par.

Personally, find the MDX to be the better all-around vehicle than the RX/RX-L and isn't nearly as ugly (not that the MDX is a looker), but the market has spoken.

(Actually, if in the market for a FWD-based CUV about this size, would much rather get a loaded Mazda CX-9, a Sorento SX-L or a top trim of the new Santa Fe. - all look better/more upscale than the MDX, much less the RX.)

MB always had higher prestige than BMW. it was its Chrysler merger that damage the brand. it is world oldest car company.
Well, duh!!

But despite that, BMW had the upper hand when it came to the compact and midsize segments w/ the 3 and 5 Series, but MB has usurped BMW in the midsize segment w/ the latest E Class and has been chipping away at the position of the 3 Series.

They are making brand premium. not chasing sales per say. RDX without SHAWD and old Non-DI engine with only 6speed auto has good sales.
Right, Acura is actually seeking to dwindle sales; you know, for the exclusivity factor.

LS500 not much faster than RLX.
Who cares?

The LS 500 sells much better than the RLX despite being at a much higher price-point.

Would say that the GS-F blows away the TLX in performance, but they don't compete (not that the LS and RLX do).

Honda has money and technology to surpass Germans not chase. pound per pound. the vehicles are better quality. it does not need free maintaince and subsidized leases to same extent.
Honda has a 1% share of the European market and Acura doesn't even exist there (or for that matter, in most markets, including its own domestic market.)

The Germans dominate lux sales pretty much everywhere, and esp. at the higher end of the lux market.

How many $70k+ vehicles do you think Honda/Acura sells in the US, Europe and Japan?

BMW and MB sell more M and AMG variants of the just the 5 Series and E Class than what Honda/Acura sell at that price-point.

Last edited by YEH; 06-05-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:58 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

I clearly stated that G90 is steep decline in sales in its second year. I very clearly stated that RWD, turbo or V8 engine will not save it. It need 10 year of at home maintainance to sell.
It's the age of the crossover.

Even before the buyers started moving to CUVs in full-force, the RLX lost a whopping 32.5% of its sales in its 2nd year (going from 5k down to 3.4k).

And the G90 is on track to outsell what the RLX did in its 2nd year - and that's despite being at a significantly higher price-point and more buyers nowadays opting for CUVs/SUVs.

On top of that, the G90/EQ900 has a strong domestic market, something that the RLX never had.

Does not matter. Honda very large firm. every platform has its own time. Honda City priority due to Asian sales.
Honda isn't that big; which is why they have eschewed RWD+V8 for Acura.

I can guarantee you no facelift of G90 will preent its sales decline. despite at home free maintainance. Genesis is worthless brand. that have to give free maintaince.
Well, hardly would be the 1st time you were wrong (you've been wrong time and time again).

That maintenance isn't free - it's built into the price and is one of the amenities that lux buyers expect nowadays.

For being a worthless brand, Genesis somehow can charge more than Acura.

Heck, the Kia Stinger commands higher prices than the TLX.

Korea is captive market. who knows what kind of politics involoved inside Korea to use them.
Wrong again.

The Korean auto market is more open to foreign imports than Japan's (which is truly a captive market).

In fact, Korea is the 3rd largest market for the 5/7 Series and E/S Class after China and the US.

More so than Germany or Japan (which has 3x the pop,).

it was $40k with options and that is almost equal to $100k now.
Even w/ options, it was priced like a loaded E Class and in today's $$ would be $70k to $80k - so right around where the G90 is in price.

So once, again - wrong.

where you get this idea.
The automotive industry says that.

The RLX is not considered a proper flagship sedan (instead is considered a full-size, FWD sedan which competes w/ the mid-segment on price) which is why it isn't included in the flagship comparisons (meanwhile, the G90, and even the Equus before it, have).

RLX pull more Gs than Genesis G90, Lexus LS, MB, BMW on skinny tires. you have no idea about its technology.
B/c it's smaller and lighter and not a proper flagship. lol

Do you think Rolls and Bentley buyers care about pulling Gs?

Last edited by YEH; 06-05-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:22 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

As I said sales not criteria for prestige.
Market demand and pricing have everything to do w/ prestige.

Despite being priced like a mid-segment sedan, the RLX still sells like crap.

that free maintaince and big discounts.
That maintenance costs $$, and you don't think the RLX has huge discounts? lol

As does the TLX.
$6,375 lease incentives on tech

In fact...
Hello, looking at a 2018/2019 TLX SH-AWD with Tech Package 36/10k. I'm seeing deals reasonably close to a honda accord ex-l/camry XSE lease deal.
RDX does not come with expensive run flat tires, free maintaince. I cannot keep repeat in every line. you know nothing.
Yeah, cuz tires and maintenance makes up $6k in cost..

And not every German has run flats or included maintenance.

14000 is excellent sales for the technology it selling.
MG, you're deluded.

W/ 14k in sales, Honda wouldn't cover the ROI (esp. considering the discounting Acura has had to do for much of that run).

Keep repeating about Korea. Genesis cannot afford the dealer network like Acura. its worth less brand for consumer point of view.
LMAO!!

Since when did automakers have to afford a dealer network?

Here, the various dealer groups pay for it, not the automaker and Genesis is requiring prospective dealerships to pony up around $8-10 million.

Meanwhile, when Acura was launched (as an intercept brand), the initial dealership network was done on the cheap.

Last edited by YEH; 06-05-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
The early/overseas reviews of the new Corolla have been pretty positive.

Remains to be seen if it'll beat the Civic Si, much less a Gazoo/TRD version beating the Type-R.

Considering the i30N has beaten the Type-R in its fair share of comparison tests, it's possible that the Toyota can as well.
i30N that POS you comparing it with Type-R. really that dense?
please stop making paper comparision when you don't have identical tests. Type R can beat its competiton with 20inch rims when its competitors have 19inh and AWD traction advantage.
Hyundai i30 N Performance review ? UK road & track test | Evo
As such it can hit 62mph in 6.1sec and has a top speed of 155mph, all decent enough stats but nothing outrageous compared with the likes of the Civic Type R.

And even if it doesn't, the point still remains that Toyota (and Lexus) models are getting sportier, so it's not like Honda is doing anything special w/ the Civic.
They are sportier by name only. It is called F sport. As I said you are just marketing person and no nothing despite I am educating you on the forum for years.

Like I had stated, the next RX will get larger.
once it get larger and MDX get large than we can do comparison.
Sure, Toyota took the cheap method w/ the RX-L, but that doesn't stop the RX-L being priced $3.5k higher than the MDX to start.
they can price it what ever. it is the monthly lease subsidized that matter.
In fact, the 2-row RX is priced only $1k less than the MDX to start and the RX blows away the MDX in sales.
It wont make iota of difference just like BMW X3 or X5 prices. what is paid and what is included that matter.
Considering the value proposition the MDX has on the 2-row RX, one would think that MDX would outsell the RX, or, at the very least, sell on par.
look at the deals.
Personally, find the MDX to be the better all-around vehicle than the RX/RX-L and isn't nearly as ugly (not that the MDX is a looker), but the market has spoken.
market only look at monthly payment.
(Actually, if in the market for a FWD-based CUV about this size, would much rather get a loaded Mazda CX-9, a Sorento SX-L or a top trim of the new Santa Fe. - all look better/more upscale than the MDX, much less the RX.)
There is tall honda pilot with commanding view of the road. your are seating tall relative to the front short over hang so you know exactly where the nose is pointing in tight turns.

Well, duh!!

But despite that, BMW had the upper hand when it came to the compact and midsize segments w/ the 3 and 5 Series, but MB has usurped BMW in the midsize segment w/ the latest E Class and has been chipping away at the position of the 3 Series.
it depend what kind of deals people getting. But Germanic cars with there emissions scandals and bad long term reliability is irrelevant to discussion related to superior Honda engineering, real profits.

Right, Acura is actually seeking to dwindle sales; you know, for the exclusivity factor.

Who cares?

The LS 500 sells much better than the RLX despite being at a much higher price-point.
It has much higher technology. put NSX engine in RLX and see what happens.
Would say that the GS-F blows away the TLX in performance, but they don't compete (not that the LS and RLX do).
GS-F cannot deal with tall All season tires.

Honda has a 1% share of the European market and Acura doesn't even exist there (or for that matter, in most markets, including its own domestic market.)

The Germans dominate lux sales pretty much everywhere, and esp. at the higher end of the lux market.

How many $70k+ vehicles do you think Honda/Acura sells in the US, Europe and Japan?

BMW and MB sell more M and AMG variants of the just the 5 Series and E Class than what Honda/Acura sell at that price-point.
It wont matter to Honda profits where Acura exists. they will continue to outperform Hyunda by wide margin. stick to the facts. and don't bring emission cheating and free maintiance competition to the discussion.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 06-05-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
Market demand and pricing have everything to do w/ prestige.

Despite being priced like a mid-segment sedan, the RLX still sells like crap.
it sells well with the technology at hand. your G90 sales are falling apart in its second year. it is the sign of worthless brand.

That maintenance costs $$, and you don't think the RLX has huge discounts? lol
its 15 year old platform.
As does the TLX.
$6,375 lease incentives on tech

In fact...
TLX itself is old platform.

Yeah, cuz tires and maintenance makes up $6k in cost..
4 year maintaince at dealer and tires upgrade worth more than $6k. you simply not slightest idea of pricing.
And not every German has run flats or included maintenance.
most of them have and most of them you get certain features in basic platform that not in Acura.

MG, you're deluded.

W/ 14k in sales, Honda wouldn't cover the ROI (esp. considering the discounting Acura has had to do for much of that run).
Acura is getting all the ROI. it has engine and transmission. shared across the line up.

LMAO!!

Since when did automakers have to afford a dealer network?
when I have complex problem. I just go to the dealer with service advisors with out any crowd hanging aorund so to understand the problem.
Here, the various dealer groups pay for it, not the automaker and Genesis is requiring prospective dealerships to pony up around $8-10 million.

Meanwhile, when Acura was launched (as an intercept brand), the initial dealership network was done on the cheap.
your Genesis have no future.Chinese own Volvo will eat for lunch.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

seriously.... you guys spent way too much time on this.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow June 2018

http://hondanews.com/releases/american-honda-sets-new

American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Jul 3, 2018
  • Light trucks lift American Honda to new June records for total vehicles and trucks
  • Acura RDX sets all-time best sales month and all-time record month for any Acura SUV on gain of 37%
  • Acura trucks set new June record, up 17% on record RDX and strong MDX sales; total Acura brand up 3.5%
  • Honda brand nets new June total vehicle and trucks sales records, rising 5% overall as trucks gain 11.2%
  • Honda Pilot and CR-V set new June records, with CR-V up 17.5% and Pilot jumping 35.8%
  • Honda Civic rises and Accord stays strong, the two combining for over 58,000 in June sales
American HondaTotal
+4.8%
Cars
-2.4%
Trucks
+12%
Total
+5%
Cars
-0.8%
Trucks
+11.2%
Total
+3.5%
Cars
-25.1%
Trucks
+16.9%

"Honda and Acura light trucks delivered strong results in June," said Henio Arcangeli Jr., senior vice president of the American Honda Automobile Division. "The all-new Acura RDX arrived in showrooms in June and wasted no time in getting off to a record start, delivering its best sales month in the model's 13-year history. For the Honda brand, Pilot and CR-V were standouts in the month as steady inventory levels nationwide helped our dealers meet increasing customer demand for our light truck offerings. We're also pleased to see the all-new, 55-mpg-rated Honda Insight deliver a strong first weekend since going on sale on June 29."

BRAND REPORT
Sales HighlightsTrucks led gains for Honda in June, with the brand, trucks, CR-V and Pilot all setting new June records. Honda cars also fared well in June, with Civic and Fit up modestly, and Accord topping 26,000 sales for the month.
  • The hot-selling CR-V set a new June mark, climbing 17.5% on sales of 33,306.
  • Pilot also set a new June record, jumping 35.8% on sales of 12,782 units, marking the model's 10th straight monthly increase.
  • Civic sales topped 31,000 units in June despite tight supplies. With Accord adding 26,726 units, the 2 combined for over 58,000 in sales.
Model Notes

With Fit, Civic and Accord, Honda sells more retail cars in the subcompact, compact and midsize segments combined than any other brand in the industry.

Odyssey is the clear benchmark people-mover minivan in America and the most purchased among retail buyers.

BRAND REPORT
Sales HighlightsRepresenting the beginning of a new era in Acura product design and development, the all-new 2019 Acura RDX delivered big results in just its 1st month of sales, smashing its all-time monthly record.
  • RDX sales jumped 36.9% over June 2017 (itself a record month) on sales of 7,292 units, setting an all-time RDX sales record for any month.
  • RDX also set a new sales record for all Acura SUVs, eclipsing the previous record of 6,761 set by MDX in 2014.
  • RDX sales in June were also the highest of any Acura model in any month since April of 2006 (TL).
  • Adding strong MDX sales gave Acura trucks a new June record, rising 16.9%.
Model Notes

The 1st in a new generation of Acura products, the 2019 RDX went on-sale in June with more performance, features and luxury than ever before.

ILX topped the Small Premium Car segment in the J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS), and is gaining share among new entry-luxury buyers in a challenging market.

# # #

Back to Top Honda North America | 1919 Torrance Boulevard | Torrance, CA 90501 | Media Contacts
-june-sales-records-on-strength-of-light-trucks

Last edited by TSX69; 07-03-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM
_

TLX sales took a big hit. Down 27.9%

I wonder how the other premium/luxury sedans did?
Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Team Owner

Not sure but my guess is.. probably took a hit too... there are a lot of 2018 to 2019 transitions going on right now....
Old 07-03-2018, 03:05 PM
_

Everyone took a hit except for the Audi A4. And Buick Regal? GM numbers are quarterly now since they don't report monthly numbers.

June 2017 vs June 2018 sales

Acura TLX = 3,175 --> 2,290 (-27.87%)

Audi A4 = 3,273 --> 3,893 (+18.94%)

BMW 3 series = 5,123 --> 3,551 (-30.69%)

BMW 4 series = 4,494 --> 3,409 (-24.14%)

Infiniti Q50 = 3,224 --> 2,631 (-18.39%)

Infiniti Q60 = 851 --> 591 (-30.55%)

Lexus ES = 4,666 --> 3,592 (-23.02%)

Lexus IS = 2,103 --> 2,017 (-4.09%)

Lincoln MKZ = 2,240 --> 1,824 (-18.57%)

Lincoln Continental = 973 --> 546 (-43.88%)

Mercedes C Class = 7,116 --> 5,742 (-19.31%)

Volvo S60 = not released yet

Volvo S90 = not released yet

Q2 2017 vs Q2 2018

Buick Regal = 3,174 --> 4,507 (+42.00%)

Buick LaCrosse = 7,323 --> 4,053 (-44.65%)

Cadillac ATS = 3,863 --> 3,785 (-2.02%)

Cadillac CTS = 2,573 --> 2,640 (+2.60%)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:09 PM
_

Originally Posted by Acura
ILX topped the Small Premium Car segment in the J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS), and is gaining share among new entry-luxury buyers in a challenging market.
ILX sales down 22.25% = gaining market share?

Are there any other models competing against the ILX in the entry leve segment? Can't think of anyone else.

June 2017 vs June 2018

Acura ILX = 1,191 --> 926 (-22.25%)

Audi A3 = 2,228 --> 1,962 (-11.94%)

BMW 2 Series = 1,242 --> 930 (-25.12%)

Mercedes CLA = 2,118 --> 2,094 (-1.13%)

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News