AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/acura-sales-marketing-financial-news-387118/)

oonowindoo 03-01-2017 02:24 PM

Why is Maxima on that list? :rofl:

kurtatx 03-01-2017 06:18 PM

Basically, if your car is solid, you are within a 5% margin above or below last year, but new models have a big boost. Except Cadillac, but we all knew they don't sell. Buick and Acura have been substandard for their class.

SSFTSX 03-02-2017 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by YEH (Post 15967271)
Eh. Hyundai's product offerings in China are on the older side and they are lacking production capacity in crossovers.

Have new models on the way, as well as a new plant in China dedicated to building crossovers.

Can just as easily point out that H/K sales in Europe are booming (73,333 sales for Jan.); otoh, in a growing market, Honda sales dropped 7% to 11,302.

Btw, how are Acura sedan sales doing?

When the G70 and Stinger hit the lots, TLX sales (which have already been dwindling) should see a further drop off.

And forget the Stinger - with the addition of the G70, the Genesis sedans should handily outsell the Acura sedans and that's despite being at a higher price-point to boot.

lol. you even trust the sales numbers from Hyundi.. just wait untill end of this quarter. I bet Honda Sale revenues will be 50% more than Hyundi-Kia combined. I am not putting net profits as different firms have different expenses like R&D.
Always excuse for production capacity some time in China and some time in US. what do you think about Honda Pilot production capacity?

oonowindoo 03-03-2017 11:05 AM

what the fuck are you talking about?

kurtatx 03-03-2017 12:40 PM

What's a hyundi?

YEH 03-03-2017 03:16 PM

lol. you even trust the sales numbers from Hyundi.. just wait untill end of this quarter. I bet Honda Sale revenues will be 50% more than Hyundi-Kia combined. I am not putting net profits as different firms have different expenses like R&D.
Always excuse for production capacity some time in China and some time in US. what do you think about Honda Pilot production capacity?
As usual, you change the topic (so sales no longer matter)? when it no longer suits your deluded agenda.

But then again, you have a long history of pulling crap put of your arse...

Like your lame excuses about RLX sales (debunking them was easier than taking candy from a baby) and how it was due to limited supply (Honda wanted to keep it exclusive - now, talk about deluded), was going to get better with the hybrid version, was due to the lack of incentives/discounts, etc.

https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...83641/page123/

Still, nothing but dead silence from you about Acura - and on the main Lexus owners site, there's a thread about whether Lexus is becoming the new Acura.

All in all, the posters over on the Lexus site are giving Genesis tons more respect than Acura (which is a sad state of affairs considering that Acura had about a 3 decade head start).

iforyou 03-03-2017 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 15969840)
Basically, if your car is solid, you are within a 5% margin above or below last year, but new models have a big boost. Except Cadillac, but we all knew they don't sell. Buick and Acura have been substandard for their class.

Lexus is struggling too with both IS and ES dropping big.

SSFTSX 03-03-2017 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by YEH (Post 15971353)
As usual, you change the topic (so sales no longer matter)? when it no longer suits your deluded agenda.

But then again, you have a long history of pulling crap put of your arse...

Like your lame excuses about RLX sales (debunking them was easier than taking candy from a baby) and how it was due to limited supply (Honda wanted to keep it exclusive - now, talk about deluded), was going to get better with the hybrid version, was due to the lack of incentives/discounts, etc.

https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...83641/page123/

Still, nothing but dead silence from you about Acura - and on the main Lexus owners site, there's a thread about whether Lexus is becoming the new Acura.

All in all, the posters over on the Lexus site are giving Genesis tons more respect than Acura (which is a sad state of affairs considering that Acura had about a 3 decade head start).

i didnot change subjects Honda sales revenue and market cap are atleast twice of H/K group. Honda has least amount vehicles and Acura maintain highest resale value of premium brand according to KBB. It's always near the top on ALG values. Lexus has nothing like NSX or SH-AWD. I think after Clarity they may start Acura versions of it. This complex technologies need a while when you consider Honda long term reliability.

ttribe 03-03-2017 05:22 PM

:woot: SSFTSX is back!

oonowindoo 03-03-2017 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SSFTSX (Post 15971454)
i didnot change subjects Honda sales revenue and market cap are atleast twice of H/K group. Honda has least amount vehicles and Acura maintain highest resale value of premium brand according to KBB. It's always near the top on ALG values. Lexus has nothing like NSX or SH-AWD. I think after Clarity they may start Acura versions of it. This complex technologies need a while when you consider Honda long term reliability.

Please don't... Acura has enough DOA models already, dont need another one.

kurtatx 03-03-2017 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 15971382)

That's not entirely difficult to understand. The fit and finish is not quite there and the design and interior are long in the tooth on the IS200t.

JAB00 03-04-2017 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 15971382)

Lexus has the same affliction of Acura and Japanese automakers in general, the veer very far off with design language with each generation. The current IS looks like a boy racer. I am a bit surprised at the hit for the ES because this generation actually looks better than the last one which looked like an Avalon. Lexus IS and even GS does not look upscale. The A4, 3 series or MB C class all look premium. The Germans slightly evolve their designs generation to generation. The Japanese have radical change.

DJ Iceman 03-06-2017 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by JAB00 (Post 15971686)
Lexus has the same affliction of Acura and Japanese automakers in general, the veer very far off with design language with each generation. The current IS looks like a boy racer. I am a bit surprised at the hit for the ES because this generation actually looks better than the last one which looked like an Avalon. Lexus IS and even GS does not look upscale.

I think the entire Lexus line-up has gone boy-racer extreme, to the point where I will not even consider a Lexus vehicle until they tone down the outrageous styling. There are lines, curves, points, and sharp edges all over the place on all their vehicles that do not flow and have no cohesion. I know they wanted to shed their old-man image, but they have way overcorrected in the other direction.

TacoBello 03-06-2017 01:47 PM

Who gives a flying fuck about Acura resale value, when looking at how well the brand is doing. That doesn't bring people into the showroom. That just means people don't want to pay retail for them. :rofl:

TacoBello 03-06-2017 01:49 PM

Fucking guy is moving the goal posts once again. What's his next argument? Best in class sales failures? RLX is dead. ILX is dead. TLX is dying. Even Acura execs admitted their sedans are shit and need a major overhaul to be competitive. That's right. The company itself said it. I wonder if he tells Jon Ikeda that he's wrong :rofl:

Now he will move the goal posts again and tell us how well the MDX and RDX are selling. No one gives a fuck. Your argument is invalid.

Edward'TLS 03-06-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman (Post 15972728)
I think the entire Lexus line-up has gone boy-racer extreme, to the point where I will not even consider a Lexus vehicle until they tone down the outrageous styling. There are lines, curves, points, and sharp edges all over the place on all their vehicles that do not flow and have no cohesion. I know they wanted to shed their old-man image, but they have way overcorrected in the other direction.

Lexus has fucked up its brand image with the highly-polarized signature grille, just like what Acura did with the Acuea Power Plenum signature grille.

justnspace 03-06-2017 03:25 PM

SSFTSX and YEH

TacoBello 03-06-2017 03:28 PM

Meh, I like the Lexus looks. They went from boring, to showing everyone they have some major cojones. Granted, it's not for everyone, but I get the feeling Lexus' grill is much better received than Acura's beak.

kurtatx 03-06-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 15972856)
Meh, I like the Lexus looks. They went from boring, to showing everyone they have some major cojones. Granted, it's not for everyone, but I get the feeling Lexus' grill is much better received than Acura's beak.

I'm with you if Lexus were to move exclusively to the F Sport grille. The non-F Sporty looks bad, IMHO.

iforyou 03-06-2017 05:52 PM

Haha surprised by how many people here that don't like the Lexus grille....lol. But I agree, it's definitely a love it or hate it design. My friend just got a new NX and his family is in love with the styling.

00TL-P3.2 03-07-2017 08:32 AM

It's grown on me, but still not in love with it. It was shock & awe at first, and has eased on the eyes over time, IMO.

DJ Iceman 03-07-2017 11:43 AM

If it was only the crazy grille I could probably get past it (as I did with Acura's beak), but Lexus' design language has gone to complete crap. In my eyes, each generation of Lexus has actually gotten worse--their best designs were the original, re-badged JDM Toyotas, then they went with a bland but standardized look across all models, and now they've cranked it to 11 in terms of crazy-quilt sharp angles, dissonant lines, curves to nowhere, etc.

TSX69 03-23-2017 06:49 AM

Marach Madness

brandchannel: Wooing March Madness Fans: 5 Questions With Acura's Ed Beadle

Wooing March Madness Fans: 5 Questions With Acura’s Ed Beadle

Posted March 20, 2017 by Dale Buss http://www.brandchannel.com/wp-conte...folds-2017.jpg

Acura’s integrated marketing strategy for March Madness may best be described as “small ball” and small-bore, united by a common thread: It’s not referring to March Madness as it’s not an official sponsor.

http://www.brandchannel.com/wp-conte...go-300x300.jpg

So the brand is using digital and TV for brand-led (and model-specific) campaigns that its marketing team at American Honda hope will add up to a significant win for Acura during 1 of America’s biggest tentpole marketing events.

Although not an official automotive sponsor of the 2017 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament—that distinction is reserved yet again this year for Buick and Infiniti—Acura recognizes the potential for raising awareness, consideration and sales by marketing during the tournament. College basketball fans are in the sweet spot of Acura’s key demographic target, upscale millennials, so they’re working hard to engage March Madness viewers online and on TV.

“It is very crowded” with brands looking to gain attention via March Madness,
Ed Beadle, Senior Manager Integrated Marketing at American Honda’s Acura Division, told brandchannel.The main reason we come back is we look at our web traffic. It’s easy to drive traffic because there are so many engaged people.”

That’s why Acura is running online spots as well as TV ads during the March Madness fray. As an online exclusive, for example, “ILX Call Me” is a fun and irreverent play on the late-night hotline, featuring the ILX sedan—watch Ben Folds kick it off with an improvised ode to the “grey car” above.

The concept is simple: the musician writes, and records, a song inspired by Acura’s quick-to-react ILX in a spot titled “Call Me” as part of its 1-844-A-Thrill digital campaign.

http://www.brandchannel.com/wp-conte...ch-madness.jpg

“TLX Baller Builder” offers fans a chance to build and personalize their own TLX sedan pairing basketball terminology (such as “player”) with vehicle features (“engine”). And “RDX Fast Break” celebrates Acura’s best-selling mid-size crossover-utility vehicle.

Acura also rolled out its 50-percent share of voice sponsorship of the ESPN Tournament Challenge for filling out brackets and also including home-page takeovers across ESPN and Turner Sports properties. Acura also will run commercials during every streamed tournament game on the official tournament website and app, while “Acura’s Bracket Performance Update” is running online after each round.

And, naturally, the brand will run some TV ads in the latter stages of the tournament, dipping into its pool of brand spots voiced by actor Michael B. Jordan.

http://www.brandchannel.com/wp-conte...7-nsx-blue.jpg

Acura sales were down in the US by 9 percent in 2016 compared with 2015 and were down again during the first couple months of 2017, so a one-two online/TV approach this March Madness could help move the needle on sales.

We spoke with Beadle about March Madness and Acura for more insights.

bc: March Madness is pretty crowded territory for brands. You don’t have an official relationship with the tournament, so how and why are you approaching this?

http://www.brandchannel.com/wp-conte...ot-300x300.jpg

Ed Beadle (right):
There is no other sport where the obsession is with online media and you keep checking it, because of brackets. So the traffic is easy. But the best part is actions and matches back to sales. It’s a home run in terms of overall results. We have no problem being the scrappy underdog that has unofficial positions. We can’t even say the words “March Madness” (in our campaign).

bc: Why take the individual-nameplate approach instead of a brand-led approach?

Beadle: We do look at it as a brand approach. Part of it is just frequency. People are seeing lots of your ads over and over so we have a rotation strategy. We don’t wear them out. And they may respond to different things. We’re actually rotating in all of our 4 core models, including MDX in April. We have a more youthful approach for ILX, for instance. MDX will be more of our big mass media and TV, whereas ILX is exclusively digital.

bc: You’re airing TV commercials in addition to the digital spots. What’s your TV strategy?

Beadle: In the beginning of the tournament the focus is online as people are streaming at work, so we have short videos to rotate in through the early games. As you get later on and with more mass media it is more TV-focused. We have our MDX “Wow” campaign and we get bigger eyeballs for it. They’re all pre-existing ads at this point.

bc: What are the opportunities and challenges for Acura as a brand?

Beadle: We launched a new brand feel about a year ago. The NSX ad in [the 2016] Super Bowl was basically the start. And MDX was the 1st to launch with that tone. MDX sales have been very strong.

In the industry, sedans are challenged. Our volume leaders are MDX and RDX. There is always kind of the winter slump but this is a great time in spring. We do have a great base of millennials in general and credibility in that range. MDX and RDX are 2 of the top-selling luxury SUVs to people under the age of 35.

And you’re seeing that in our creative. Our work isn’t traditional luxury—not the older gravelly voice. We have Michael B. Jordan (narrating the “Point of View” campaign spots). We’re challenging the norms with the idea of luxury being inclusive rather than exclusive. And people are responding. Consistency is the key too. People want to know what to expect in an ad; they know what an Acura ad is. With our winter sales event our ads scored off the charts. But we had consistency in optimism, color and performance energy.

bc: So what do you do about sedans?

Beadle: You stick with it. The best remedy is new product and new design language and that’s coming, and we’ll leverage that. Our design change has been received positively. We’re excited. We haven’t announced what we’re doing next.

Get more branding insights in our Q&A series. Suggest a Q&A by emailing editor@brandchannel.com.

00TL-P3.2 03-23-2017 08:34 AM

:rofl: Love Ben Folds.
Have seen him live a few times & he can literally write a new song on the fly. Nice nod to Ben Fold Five, going with just the piano, drums & bass.

RPhilMan1 03-23-2017 12:58 PM

:werd: I used to listen to Whatever and Ever Amen all the time when I was younger.

Then when he went solo, Rockin' the Suburbs.

00TL-P3.2 03-23-2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 15985515)
:werd: I used to listen to Whatever and Ever Amen all the time when I was younger.

Then when he went solo, Rockin' the Suburbs.

I still listen from time to time. And, he's great live.

TSX69 04-03-2017 08:26 AM

March 2017

American Honda Nets New March Sales Records - Honda News
American Honda Nets New March Sales Records

Apr 3, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • American Honda trucks have best-ever March sales. rising 8.4 percent
  • Honda Division trucks also set new March record with a 12.6 percent gain
  • Honda CR-V sails past previous March best with a 23 percent increase
  • Honda HR-V continues record pace, gaining 19.6 percent for the month
  • Acura MDX sales rise 1.3 percent in March ahead of new Sport Hybrid model launch
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported total March sales of 137,227 Honda and Acura vehicles, a decrease of 0.7 percent over March 2016. Honda Division was up 1.8 percent on sales of 125,531 units while Honda trucks set a new March record, gaining 12.6 percent on sales of 61,975. Acura Division sales were down 21.2 percent in March, on sales of 11,696 vehicles.

Honda
Led by trucks with a record month and bolstered by resilient car sales, Honda Division gained 1.8 percent in March. CR-V and HR-V continued their hot streaks, both blowing double-digit holes in their own March records while Ridgeline also made a notable contribution. On the passenger car side, Fit was up 6.1 percent while Civic topped 31,000 sales. Accord posted a strong March with 26,824 new buyers.
  • Honda trucks had best ever March sales, gaining 12.6 percent on sales of 61,975
  • CR-V led truck gains with a March record of 32,872 vehicles, up 23 percent
  • HR-V set a new March record, rising 19.6 percent on sales of 7,653
  • Ridgeline sales surpassed 3,700 units in March
  • With another strong month of nearly 32,000 in sales, Civic was easily the best-selling passenger car in America on a retail basis in the first quarter of 2017
"Many automakers are looking for signs of market stability as consumers continue to head towards trucks and SUVs," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "But cars are still a compelling choice for many, especially when you have the right formula. Civic is a great example."

Acura
Strong sales of Acura trucks in March continued to set the pace for the Acura brand, even as the company prepared to launch the MDX Sport Hybrid—the 3rd and newest installment of the brand’s high-performance Sport Hybrid technology—along with the Acura NSX supercar and RLX Sport Hybrid model. The new MDX is the latest salvo in the evolving Acura lineup prioritizing performance through both powertrain and design. And on April 11, a refreshed and significantly enhanced 2018 TLX will be revealed in New York, bringing the Acura Precision Concept-inspired design language to the sedan lineup.
  • MDX sales totaled 4,141 units in March, up 1.3 percent over 2016
"With the Acura MDX already posting strong sales in the luxury SUV segment, the new MDX Sport Hybrid adds a new performance dimension to provide greater market visibility of our performance hybrid technology and greater purchase consideration for Acura products," said Jon Ikeda, vice president & general manager of the Acura division.

http://hondanews.com/media_storage/n...les2_750px.jpg

AZuser 04-03-2017 09:41 AM

:jesuslol: @

ILX down 47%
TLX down 25.3%
RLX down 15.4%

:what: @

RDX down 29%?

:whyme: @

Acura Division down 21.2%

:bs: @

Strong sales of Acura trucks in March continued to set the pace for the Acura brand,...
MDX sales up 1.3% while RDX sales down 29%. Overall, Acura trucks sales down 15.83% in March 2017 vs March 2016.

Only model that did good was . . . . RLX hybrid (up 57.9%)? :rofl:

oonowindoo 04-03-2017 11:42 AM

the facelift only resulted in 1.3% increase in sales then that means Acura probably loses $$ due to the facelift :rofl:

justnspace 04-03-2017 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15991654)
the facelift only resulted in 1.3% increase in sales then that means Acura probably loses $$ due to the facelift :rofl:

is this enough evidence for acura to FIRE THEIR DESIGNERS?!
seriously, for the last 9 years, Acura has fell from the top of the tree and hit EVERY SINGLE ugly branch along the way..with NO plans to stop till it's name is dragged through the mud.

AZuser 04-03-2017 02:58 PM

Audi and Mercedes still doing well. The others are still struggling... some more than others.

Mar 2016 vs Mar 2017 (U.S.)

Acura TLX = 3,768 —> 2,815 (-25.29%)

Audi A4 = 3,403 —> 4,062 (+19.37%)

BMW 3 series = 6,218 —> 6,197 (-0.34%)

BMW 4 series = 4,710 —> 3,324 (-29.43%)

Buick LaCrosse = 2,275 —> 2,330 (+2.42%)

Cadillac ATS = 1,859 —> 1,367 (-26.47%)

Cadillac CTS = 1,499 —> 882 (-41.16%)

Infiniti Q50 = 5,590 —> 3,800 (-32.02%)

Infiniti Q60 = 105 —> 1,829 (+1,641.91%) :what:

Lexus ES = 5,792 —> 4,626 (-20.13%)

Lexus IS = 3,679 —> 2,597 (-29.41%)

Mercedes C Class = 6,658 —> 8,021 (+20.47%)

Nissan Maxima = 6,588 —> 6,961 (+5.66%)

oonowindoo 04-03-2017 03:41 PM

That just shows you how important perception and image are in that segment. Value buys just don't work.

jwong77 04-03-2017 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15991827)
That just shows you how important perception and image are in that segment. Value buys just don't work.

Yeah it seems that way except for the Maxima, lol. Not that much image there as far as I know of.

oonowindoo 04-03-2017 05:28 PM

Maxima should not even be on that list in the first place.

iforyou 04-03-2017 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15991680)
is this enough evidence for acura to FIRE THEIR DESIGNERS?!
seriously, for the last 9 years, Acura has fell from the top of the tree and hit EVERY SINGLE ugly branch along the way..with NO plans to stop till it's name is dragged through the mud.

haha, think of it this way - the RDX also had a facelift but didn't get the diamond grille, and bam dropped 29% or something. At least the MDX wasn't in the red ;)

Doesn't Lexus have a pretty good brand image and perception? Its decline is even more so than the TLX....

SDSilverM3 04-03-2017 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS (Post 15972785)
Lexus has fucked up its brand image with the highly-polarized signature grille, just like what Acura did with the Acuea Power Plenum signature grille.

Lexus, Nissan, and Acura all went with a signature grille look and they're all meh.

At least the Lexus grill can sort of be hidden with a black car. No helping the other two. Nissan's v-motion is okay depending on the car but would be better overall without IMO. These three brands are kind of like saying just because you've got buck-teeth, that's your signature look for the brand. Okay, great. We all like teeth right?

oonowindoo 04-03-2017 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 15991887)
haha, think of it this way - the RDX also had a facelift but didn't get the diamond grille, and bam dropped 29% or something. At least the MDX wasn't in the red ;)

Doesn't Lexus have a pretty good brand image and perception? Its decline is even more so than the TLX....

Lexus does. But it is still no BMW, Mercedes and Audi, especially in recent years. With their hate or love type of design and lack of new engines are slowly catching up to them.

The fact that it is declining just straightened the idea that it is still not strong enough when compare to the Germans. But it is still selling a shit load of cars, unlike Acura.

TacoBello 04-03-2017 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15991654)

I highly doubt they are losing money on it. It helped keep sales consistent (and even increased). That's a successful MMC. Looking at the 3G TL, sales continued to slide even after the MMC. That's why the don't do massive changes for the MMC. Having sales grow after an MMC is impressive... At least by Acuras standards. :shrug:

SSFTSX 04-04-2017 12:52 AM

or its incentives not image. just look at used prices.

Edward'TLS 04-04-2017 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 15991887)

Used to but no more, thanks to it's new signature grille design.