Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Do you think Hyundai Stocks drop to lowest level since Great financial crisis due to one off $440m recall Charge?
hint Honda Stock didnot drop to lowest level due to $3.6b loss. try to understand stock market analysis not goes over news item as stated.
Since you seem to be a self-proclaimed expert on stock market analysis, please provide a summary (in your own words) of the impact of the following two theories on explaining the pricing of stocks in the market:

1) The Fama and French Three Factor Model

2) Malkiel's A Random Walk Down Wall Street

We excitedly await your illuminating essays on the matter.
The following 3 users liked this post by ttribe:
jwong77 (11-13-2018), kurtatx (10-31-2018), nist7 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 07:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,494 Posts
^ AZ is great, I can come on here and discovery new financial books to read that can help my investments
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Since you seem to be a self-proclaimed expert on stock market analysis, please provide a summary (in your own words) of the impact of the following two theories on explaining the pricing of stocks in the market:

1) The Fama and French Three Factor Model

2) Malkiel's A Random Walk Down Wall Street

We excitedly await your illuminating essays on the matter.

SSFTSX is googling as we speaking.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
SSFTSX is googling as we speaking.
And I think we'll all be able to tell the difference between his "own words" and...not.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^ AZ is great, I can come on here and discovery new financial books to read that can help my investments
I really like William Bernstein (how millenials can get rich slowly is a great free PDF that is very useful imo), David Swensen (manages the Yale endowment fund, his book Unconventional Success is great, dry read but good info), Taylor Larimore (I'm an un-ashamed Boglehead), and another personal hero of mine is the legendary Jack Bogle.

For a more behavioral/popular reading, Jason Zweig's neuroeconomics book is not too hard of a read.

I tend to avoid recommending "gurus" like Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman or Tony Robbins, even though they have some generic/decent advice (basically all of them can be summed as: live below your means, avoid debt.) I DEFINITELY do not recommend Robert Kiyosaki of the Rich Dad Poor Dad fame (better real estate advice can be found elsewhere, not that real estate is bad). While these people are "okay" realize they are also in the selling their books/seminar/self-branding business.

Last edited by nist7; 10-31-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Legend2TL (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by nist7
I really like William Bernstein (how millenials can get rich slowly is a great free PDF that is very useful imo), David Swensen (manages the Yale endowment fund, his book Unconventional Success is great, dry read but good info), Taylor Larimore (I'm an un-ashamed Boglehead), and another personal hero of mine is the legendary Jack Bogle.

For a more behavioral/popular reading, Jason Zweig's neuroeconomics book is not too hard of a read.

I tend to avoid recommending "gurus" like Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman or Tony Robbins, even though they have some generic/decent advice (basically all of them can be summed as: live below your means, avoid debt.) I DEFINITELY do not recommend Robert Kiyosaki of the Rich Dad Poor Dad fame (better real estate advice can be found elsewhere, not that real estate is bad). While these people are "okay" realize they are also in the selling their books/seminar/self-branding business.
Two words - Snake oil.
nist7 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Oct 2018

Trucks and Electrified Vehicles Spark Strong October Sales for American Honda - Honda News

Trucks and Electrified Vehicles Spark Strong October Sales for American Honda

Nov 1, 2018
  • American Honda trucks gain 6.5% to set new October record
    • Honda electrified vehicles have best month on record, exceeding 6,000 retail sales for second month in a row
      • Honda Pilot sales climb 31% for best October sales; Odyssey rises 15%
        • Acura trucks set new October record, gaining 15%
          • Acura RDX records best October and second best single month in history, jumping 75%

American Honda=centerTotal

-4.1%
=centerCars

-14.5%
=centerTrucks

+6.5%
=centerTotal

-5.3%
=centerCars

-14.8%
=centerTrucks

+5.1%
=centerTotal

+7.3%
=centerCars

-10.4%
=centerTrucks

+15.1%

"With production across our entire Honda and Acura lineups in alignment to meet true consumer demand, we continue to achieve steady and sustainable results as we enter the final two months of the year," said Henio Arcangeli Jr., senior vice president of the American Honda Automobile Division.
BRAND REPORT
Sales HighlightsThe Honda brand enjoyed its 4th best October sales month of all time as trucks again led Honda sales gains, while cars were quietly stealing the show as electrified vehicle sales defied gravity and Accord continued to gain momentum.
  • Honda trucks gained 5.1% on sales of 57,169, a new October record:
    • Pilot set a new October mark, gaining 31.1% on sales of 13,479.
      • Odyssey sales rose 15.1% on sales of 8,403.
        • CR-V sales totaled 27,825 for a gain of 0.2%.
    • Electrified vehicle sales totaled 6,315 in October, setting a second consecutive best-ever monthly record while recording a 4th consecutive month of sales over 5,000 units.

Model Notes

Civic is on track to be America’s #1 retail car for the third straight year, far ahead of the competition and earning more Millennial buyers than any other car in America.

Odyssey is the #1 retail-selling minivan in America in 2018, demonstrated in part by having the highest average transaction price in the segment.

BRAND REPORT
Sales HighlightsThe Acura RDX nearly eclipsed its best-ever month (June 2018) as it continues to bring the heat to one of the industry’s hottest segments, helping the brand to a 7.3% gain and trucks to a new record in October.
  • RDX sales leaped 75.3%, posting total sales of 6,193 for a best October and second best month ever.
    • Acura trucks set a new October sales record, rising 15.1% on sales of 10,148 vehicles.
      • Sales of the gateway model ILX topped 1,000 units for a 3% gain just as the redesigned and lower-priced 2019 model has begun arriving in Acura showrooms.

Model Notes

Led by the all-new 2019 RDX and MDX A-Spec, Acura is on-track to have the brand’s best SUV sales year ever.

Acura is one of only two top-5 luxury brands with an increase in retail sales through the end of September.

=center# # #

Back to Top Honda North America | 1919 Torrance Boulevard | Torrance, CA 90501 | Media Contacts
Related Photos

Related Document

2018 October Honda & Acura Sales - FINAL.xls

Last edited by TSX69; 11-01-2018 at 09:09 AM.
wmaldridge (11-13-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Kudos to Acura for the RDX, it's really doing very very well for them. I sat in one myself and thought it was a really great car for the price point. The advanced model had at the dealer had some of the most comfortable sits I have ever sat in.

However, the rest of their line REALLY needs a revamp. Right now the RDX is almost half of all their sales. They need to release a new TLX and MDX for the 2020 model year.

The new ILX is a bandaid. It looks really great now, but still has the old interior on the 9th generation civic platform.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,494 Posts

+1, totally agree. Ramsey/Orman/Robbins books are only self-serving to their bank accounts. My wife got a Orman book as a gift, I speed read a chapter and it was written on a middle school level.
I want to read some of Richard Thaler books about behavior economics. One of investment friends has a copy of Jack Bogle's book personally signed by Bogle.
nist7 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1, totally agree. Ramsey/Orman/Robbins books are only self-serving to their bank accounts. My wife got a Orman book as a gift, I speed read a chapter and it was written on a middle school level.
I want to read some of Richard Thaler books about behavior economics. One of investment friends has a copy of Jack Bogle's book personally signed by Bogle.
Ahhh, if you want to go the behavioral economics route, I suggest you do a primer on Prospect Theory as posited by Kahneman & Tversky. Excellent stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by ttribe:
Legend2TL (11-02-2018), nist7 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
what's this? Acura no longer exporting RDX to china...and will now be built in China????
Old 11-14-2018, 08:02 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
what's this? Acura no longer exporting RDX to china...and will now be built in China????
This was announced late last year in one of those Chinese autoshows.
justnspace (11-14-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Trade Wars are easy to win
Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Nov18

Acura Brand Nets Double-Digit Sales Gain for American Honda in November - Acura News

Acura Brand Nets Double-Digit Sales Gain for American Honda in November

Dec 3, 2018
  • Acura car and truck sales continue momentum, with the brand gaining 10.5% for the month
  • Acura trucks and RDX set new November sales records—the 6th straight monthly mark for RDX
  • Honda Accord sales remain strong with 1.6% increase in November
  • Sales of Honda electrified vehicles surpass 5,000 units for 5th straight month
American Honda=center=centerTotal

-9.5%

=centerCars

-12.6%

=centerTrucks

-6.8%

=centerTotal

-11.6%

=centerCars

-13.6%

=centerTrucks

-9.8%

=centerTotal

+10.5%

=centerCars

+2.2%

=centerTrucks

+13.8%

"We are thrilled to have the Honda Insight and Acura RDX named as finalists for the 2019 North American Car- and Utility- of the Year awards, an honor that reinforces the success each vehicle is enjoying with a record number of new customers," said Henio Arcangeli Jr., senior vice president of the American Honda Automobile Division. "With the RDX setting new sales records each month and the Insight helping Honda set a new sales mark for electrified vehicles, we are pleased to have each vehicle in contention for these prestigious awards."

BRAND REPORT
Sales HighlightsHonda sedans drew strength in November from notably improved Accord sales while electrified vehicles surpassed 5,000 in sales for the fifth straight month—further enhancing a record year for electrified vehicle sales.
  • Accord remained strong in a challenging segment, gaining 1.6% on sales of 23,367 for the month.
  • Insight, Accord Hybrid and Clarity again combined for over 5,000 sales in November, while Insight was honored as Green Car Journal's Green Car of the Year.
  • Honda truck sales worked to overcome inventory issues, with Odyssey continuing its retail dominance and gaining 3.8% on sales of 8,123 units, while Pilot topped 10,000 in sales for the 13th straight month.
Model Notes
America's "Best SUV Brand" just got even better with the announcement of Honda's fourth SUV, the personal, powerful and off-road capable Honda Passport, launching early in 2019.

The 2019 Insight, now a 2019 North America Car of the Year finalist, has led Honda to a new all-time record for electrified vehicle sales with a month left to go in the year.

BRAND REPORT
Sales HighlightsThe 2019 RDX scored its 6th straight monthly sales record, combining with rising sales of the newly refreshed ILX to push Acura to across-the-board increases for brand, passenger cars and trucks in November. Acura trucks also gained a new record for the month.
  • Acura brand sales gained a total of 10.5% in November, with cars up 2.2% and trucks rising 13.8%.
  • The award-winning 2019 RDX jumped 57.6% on sales of 5,951 units for its best-ever November.
  • ILX, fresh from its 2019 redesign, gained 27.5% on sales of 1,051 units, even as production of the new model continues to ramp up.
Model Notes
With six straight record months, the new RDX is the top retail-selling model in luxury's largest segment and a finalist for 2019 North American Utility of the Year.

A-Spec has become one of the most sought-after packages in the TLX lineup. It's now available on ILX and all SUVs.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:34 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I like the grandpa large & bold sales chart now.
nist7 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
The all-new 2019 Acura RDX crossover has seen an enthusiastic market reception in the United States.

Following its June launch, the RDX posted the sixth straight monthly sales record in November, with 2018 deliveries so far exceeding 2017 by 22 percent. The sales success is a sign Acura has got the redesign of its premium compact crossover right. The Honda-owned brand says the 2019 RDX is attracting younger buyers with its A-Spec trim as well as stealing sales from European luxury brands.

Acura wants to emulate the success of the RDX across the lineup, and that means all of its models will get fully redesigned according to similar principles — including the brand’s three sedans. Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda says customers can expect the brand’s passenger car lineup to get the same treatment as the RDX in the future.

Despite the fact that sedan sales are on the downward slope, the executive says Acura won’t give up on the ILX, TLX, and RLX — quite the contrary. While parent company Honda unveiled a new midsize SUV at the LA Auto Show (the Passport), Acura isn’t looking to add more crossovers to its lineup.

Once again, Acura denies plans to bring the CDX subcompact crossover to the U.S.

Not even the CDX subcompact crossover, which launched in China two years ago, won’t make it Stateside. A company spokesman said the RDX’s pricing (from $38,295) allows it to reach down into that smaller segment. Instead, the premium brand wants to get its core models right.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen in the future. What’s critical is that we stay disciplined and balanced. We’ll do our best to hit home runs with our sedans also,” Ikeda was quoted as saying by Automotive News.

This seems to be a healthy approach considering the fact that U.S. automakers are giving up on their sedans altogether. Acura is aware that there are things to improve on its passenger car lineup and wants to fix them before making any decisions on their future.

That’s all the more remarkable given the fact that crossovers and SUVs currently make up 70 percent of Acura’s sales. Not that long ago, sedans accounted for a similar share of the brand’s overall sales.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/ac...fixing-sedans/
Old 12-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ thanks for sharing. its great and encouraging to continue to see Acura finally speaking some sense on everything. looking forward to the future of the sedans...
Old 01-03-2019, 10:05 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
https://hondanews.com/honda-corporat...sales-increase

Trucks Drive New Records and Acura Turns a Corner as American Honda Posts December Sales Increase

Jan 3, 2019
  • Acura brand sales rise 2.8% in 2018, punctuated by best-ever monthly and annual truck sales
  • Acura RDX has best-ever annual and December sales, its second-best month in history
  • Honda brand posts best-ever annual and December truck sales with overall December increase as Honda CR-V sets all-time monthly record, topping 42,000 sales
  • Accord sales jump 29.4% as passenger car sales remain strong; electrified vehicles set new annual record

"In 2018, we took advantage of the continued consumer shift toward light-trucks, contributing to another record year for our Honda and Acura light-truck businesses," said Henio Arcangeli Jr., senior vice president of the American Honda Automobile Division. "In addition to our light-truck success, our passenger car business also delivered another strong year, with Civic retaining its crown in 2018 as the best-selling retail compact car in America for nine years running and Accord commanding the highest transaction prices in the midsize segment. We remain bullish on the passenger car business and look forward to another great year in 2019 across our entire Honda and Acura lineups."

Honda

Sales Highlights

Honda finished 2018 on a strong note with both cars and trucks gaining in December, overcoming over four months of lost production due to a flood that shut the Celaya, Mexico auto plant to narrowly miss a new annual sales mark.
  • Truck sales set new monthly and annual records led by CR-V which set an all-time monthly record, with 42,079 units in December, a gain of 13.8%. Pilot set a new annual mark, eclipsing its previous record by over 7,000.
  • Accord jumped a strong 29.4% on 28,627 in sales for the month.
  • Electrified vehicle sales set new monthly and annual sales records with 6,899 December sales, the 6th straight month above 5,000 units.

Model Notes

Civic continues its dominance as the #1 retail car in America for a 3rd straight year and 9th straight year as the compact retail #1.

Honda Pilot was the fastest growing SUV in segment in 2018, helping deliver a 4th straight year of record light truck sales to Honda.

Acura

Sales Highlights

Acura was one of the few luxury brands to increase sales (+2.8%) in 2018, setting records for RDX and light trucks, leading to new market share and the brand’s first annual gain since 2014.
  • Acura trucks set a new monthly sales record, gaining 17.5% on 12,786 units
  • RDX gained 42.2% to set a new December mark on sales of 6,838 units, the model’s 7th consecutive monthly record and second best month in history.
  • MDX had December sales of 5,948 units, helping the model to its 7th straight year of 50,000+ annual sales.
  • ILX and RLX sedans gained in December, with ILX up 10.7% and RLX gaining 16.1% (its best month in 2018).

Model Notes

Heading into December, RDX was the #1 retail-selling model in segment in 2018, the #2 top-selling luxury SUV and the #3 top-selling model in all of luxury.

ILX picked up more than 2 points of share in segment in 2018, while TLX outsold the BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 and key models from Lexus and Volvo.

Last edited by AZuser; 01-03-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Shortage of NSX buyers?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by biker
Shortage of NSX buyers?
Yeah it's like 70% drop in sales compared to same time last year. The supercar segment is quite populated and very competitive in that price range. I do hope they can keep the program running for a while though....

But otherwise accord is going bonkers last month! Almost 30% increase in sales!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:36 PM
_

Yeah it's like 70% drop in sales compared to same time last year. The supercar segment is quite populated and very competitive in that price range.
Not a problem for Porsche. Maybe it's because they make cars people want?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300772497.html

ATLANTA, Jan. 3, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of the Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and Cayman, Panamera, Cayenne, and Macan model lines, today announced December retail sales of 4,086. With that, 2018 sales reached a U.S. record of 57,202, an increase of 3.2 percent from the previous record in 2017. It was the ninth consecutive year of growth for PCNA and the seventh record year in a row.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

^^^ Is there a breakdown of the 911 models by trim/subtype?

Obviously most Porsches are not competing with cars like the NSX/R8/570S. The easy one is to look at the 911 Turbo and Turbo S. Is there a way to look at those numbers?

Basically supercars in the ~200k range with similar performance.

Also Porsche is clearly a legend in automotive history and lot of Porsche enthusiasts are die-hard fans and would swear by nothing else except P cars
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Also Porsche is clearly a legend in automotive history and lot of Porsche enthusiasts are die-hard fans and would swear by nothing else except P cars
And are buying Cayannes?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
The people that aspired to have an NSX are finally old enough to afford one and Acura/Honda moves the goalposts. $150k? No thanks.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by biker
And are buying Cayannes?
I never said "all Porsche model buyers are Porsche enthusiasts." Clearly it's true that lot of Porsche enthusiasts stick with only P cars (aka 911) and in the context of my post refers to how competitive that segment is in the 200k supercar range.

And it is very possible that 911 buyers are likely going to have a 2nd daily/family car for wife/kids and easily they may also go for a Porsche SUV.

And clearly, a majority of luxury SUV buyers (Porsche or not) are not going to be sports car enthusiasts....just as the majority of car buyers/society are not sports car enthusiasts.

Here's a quick sampling from a 5min search on a Rennlist thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ur-garage.html

Last edited by nist7; 01-04-2019 at 10:51 AM.
00TL-P3.2 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:50 PM
_

Originally Posted by Honda
ILX picked up more than 2 points of share in segment in 2018, while TLX outsold the BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 and key models from Lexus and Volvo.
Honda typo? TLX didn't outsell BMW 3 series. Not for the month of December or the full 2018 year. It only outsold Audi A4 for the month of December, but not full 2018 year. And it outsold Lexus IS for December month and full 2018 year, but not Lexus ES for either periods.

Dec 2018 vs Dec 2017

TLX: 2,831 vs 3,101 (-8.71%)

Audi A4: 1,881 vs 4,277 (-56.02%)

BMW 3: 3,184 vs 5,556 (-42.69%)
BMW 4: 1,916 vs 3,411 (-43.83%)

Infiniti Q50: 3,690 vs 5,583 (-33.91%)
Infiniti Q60: 662 vs 869 (-23.82%)

Lexus ES: 5,385 vs 5,047 (+6.70%)
Lexus IS: 2,193 vs 2,777 (-21.03%)

Lincoln MKZ: 1,874 vs 2,293 (-18.27%)
Lincoln Continental: 1,170 vs 1,216 (-3.78%)

Mercedes C-class: 6,799 vs 6,500 (+4.6%)

Volvo S60: 25 vs 1,071 (-97.67%)
Volvo S60 II: 230 vs 0

Q4 2018 vs Q4 2017

Buick Regal: 3,110 vs 2,569 (+21.06%)
Buick LaCrosse: 2,118 vs 4,527 (-53.21%)

Cadillac ATS: 831 vs 2,853 (-70.87%)
Cadillac CTS: 2,442 vs 2,240 (+9.02%)

All 2018 vs All 2017

TLX: 30,468 vs 34,846

Audi A4: 34,566 vs 37,674

BMW 3: 44,578 vs 59,449
BMW 4: 31,379 vs 39,634

Infiniti Q50: 34,763 vs 40,739
Infiniti Q60: 9,071 vs 10,751

Lexus ES: 48,484 vs 51,398
Lexus IS: 22,927 vs 26,482

Lincoln MKZ: 19,852 vs 27,387
Lincoln Continental: 8,758 vs 12,012

Mercedes C-class: 60,409 vs 77,447

Volvo S60: 7,056 vs 12,142
Volvo S60 II : 254 vs 0

Buick Regal: 14,118 vs 11,559
Buick LaCrosse: 15,527 vs 20,161

Cadillac ATS: 10,859 vs 13,100
Cadillac CTS: 11,219 vs 10,344
Old 01-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Team Owner

whether it is typo or not... comparing to a car that is 7 years old and out of production since Oct is pretty sad already. And it still outsold TLX...
Old 01-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
The people that aspired to have an NSX are finally old enough to afford one and Acura/Honda moves the goalposts. $150k? No thanks.
the NSX is a fantastic supercar, irrespective of its price point. It’ll be missed when it’s ultimately out of production. ....and I’m still an avowed GTR Fanboy. Not for nothing, I felt the LFA had some of the most offensive pricing of the Asian makes over the past 10-15 years.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Team Owner

^ if anything, LFA is probably the successor of the original NSX.... Pricey until you start digging the details, then you would realize why it is so expensive. It is built by engineers with OCD and nerds.

The current NSX is just like any other 150k-200k super cars... fast but forgettable. R35 GTR had already done what the current NSX is doing 10 years ago.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:27 AM
Safety Car

Arrow AutoNews

https://www.autonews.com/sales/luxur...ura-tops-caddy

LUXURY: Mercedes edges BMW for 2018 U.S. crown; Acura tops Caddy

ukarkaria@crain.com
DAVID PHILLIPS
Mercedes-Benz maintained its grasp of the U.S. luxury sales crown for the 3rd year in a row — barely — while Acura topped Cadillac for the 3rd time since 2012.

For the year, Mercedes sold 315,959 luxury vehicles, down 6.3 percent from the same period a year ago. Rival BMW was hot on Mercedes’ heels, reporting sales of 311,014 vehicles in 2018, up 1.7 percent. Lexus volume dropped 2.2 percent to 298,310. Audi deliveries fell 1.4 percent to 223,323.

Acura leapfrogged Cadillac into the 5th-place spot, selling 158,934 vehicles and topping the American brand by 4,232 units.

Overall, U.S. luxury sales dipped 0.4 percent to 217,338 cars and light trucks in December. For the year, luxury vehicle demand fell 0.3 percent to 2,027,312 even as overall industry volume edged up 0.6 percent.

Among other luxury brands, U.S. sales in 2018 rose at Land Rover, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Acura and Volvo but slipped at Jaguar, Infiniti, Genesis and Cadillac.

"Luxury will remain as hot as ever in 2019, with a slew of new product and new segment entries," said Akshay Anand, executive analyst at Kelley Blue Book. "The sales crown may mean a lot to automakers, but to consumers, what matters is finding the best bang for their buck in a time when most vehicles out there are rock-solid."

BMW, however, bested its chief German rival in December — with sales of 34,357. Mercedes, meanwhile, sold 32,016 vehicles, excluding commercial vans. Lexus' U.S. sales in December dipped 0.2 percent to 35,524. Audi's deliveries tumbled 16 percent to 22,765 units.

Mercedes-Benz' volume leaders in December included the GLC, C-Class and E-Class model lines.

The GLC took the lead with sales of 7,294, followed by C-Class sales of 6,799. The E-Class rounded out the top 3 with 5,042 units sold.

"Despite the delayed availability of some of our most popular models in 2018, we achieved a solid closing of the year thanks to the excellent work of our dealers," Dietmar Exler, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA, said in a statement. "With the youngest and most comprehensive lineup in the luxury segment, we will continue to advance our position in the marketplace."

Crossovers accounted for 63 percent of BMW's U.S. sales last month.

For the 10th consecutive month, the BMW X3 was the top-selling BMW model in the U.S., followed by the new BMW X5. The BMW X3 and X5, combined, represented more than 2 out of every 5 BMW vehicles sold in the U.S. in December.

Sales of electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids totaled 2,774 in December, up 2 percent from a year ago.

Porsche Cars North America reported December U.S. sales of 4,086 vehicles, a 4.4 percent uptick from the same time last year. Retail sales for 2018 climbed 3.2 percent to 57,202. It was the 7th consecutive record year of growth for Porsche.

The Macan led the pack with more than 23,504 deliveries in 2018, up 9.7 percent. Panamera sales rose 19 percent to 8,042 units. Meanwhile. Porsche 911 sales accelerated 7.6 percent to 9,647 units, helped by strong demand for GT models.

"A record 2018 is an excellent starting point for an even more dynamic 2019, when highlights will include the market entry of the next-generation 911, the updated Macan, and the launch of our 1st all-electric sports car, the Taycan, late in the year," Porsche Cars North America CEO Klaus Zellmer said in a statement.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Most of them (most of society) are not rich enough to afford one anyway. People complain about how much it costs but seems to me they usually come from people who couldn't afford ANY 150k+ cars anyway (whether its a R8 or 911 or the new NSX). The total NSX program cost is probably easily in the hundreds of millions of dollars (new motor, chassis, etc. etc.) with tens of thousands of hours of design, engineering, R&D, and indeed it doesn't blow the doors off of its competitors but it doesn't get left behind in the dust either. Of course there are other factors that some people will fault the NSX for (ie the Acura/Honda association, the weight, the steering feel, the emotion, etc. etc.) which is 100% dependent on the individual and they have to use their money to the most value they feel is appropriate.

Seems that people either like the new NSX or doesn't. Our very own @neuronbob is a big fan of the car and is probably 1 of the few on AZine that can actually afford a car of that price range. Others like @TacoBello have changed their mind and come to like the NSX despite earlier reservations.

The following 2 users liked this post by nist7:
F23A4 (01-07-2019), neuronbob (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Well, not really. My 1999 NSX brand new was $88,000, which translates to $132,000 now. I can afford, but no way am I paying $200k for a well optioned NSX when I can buy a used Huracan for that, or a used 570 for less, or a used 458 for around the base cost of the NSX. I think that’s the big issue.

With that said, and having driven the new NSX on track and on the road, it’s an amazing car. I will have one someday. I simply have other financial priorities right now, and I’m enjoying the heck out of my soon to be supercharged NA2.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
F23A4 (01-07-2019), nist7 (01-05-2019), ttribe (01-07-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:42 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The NSX is such a great looking car...really would love to have one some day! Yea I think $200k for the NSX is too much money. But for me I wouldn't need a fully optioned one.

For 2019, I believe Acura made some changes to the options. Starting at $159k, it's already very well equipped with the ELS sound system and tech pkg. The only thing I'd considering adding is the carbon ceramic brakes for $10k. I don't need Siris XM, I don't really like the other rim options, I don't want a $6000 optional paint job, I don't think the CF parts do much to the performance of the car, etc.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
VIDEO: Watch January 2019 Executive Dealer Message

January 9, 2019

The New Year is here and Henio Arcangeli, Jr., Senior Vice President, Automobile Division and Jon Ikeda, Vice President and General Manager, Acura Division, have filmed a video exclusively for you.

Watch and share the video with your staff to review 2018 highlights and learn the 2019 goals and strategies designed to reclaim Acura’s rightful place as a truly original premium performance brand.

Acura 2019 New Year Message
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...6gw/embed/auto

VIDEO: Watch January 2019 Executive Dealer Message

January 9, 2019

The New Year is here and Henio Arcangeli, Jr., Senior Vice President & General Manager, Honda Sales, has filmed a video especially for you.

Learn about Honda’s strong 2018 close; its targeted goals, strategies and industry advantages in 2019; and how your District Sales Managers are onboard to ensure your staff is fully trained on the all-new 2019 Passport, arriving next month.

Honda 2019 New Year Video
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...17a/embed/auto
Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM
_

I would really like to see what data Acura has and is using in support of these statements

Originally Posted by Jon Ikeda
.... and the refreshed ILX also is leading its segment in young buyers.

Looking at the brand as a whole, for the first time, we're ranked in the top 100 of brands most loved by millennials, with Acura the #2 luxury auto brand for young buyers.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 5,281 Likes on 3,620 Posts
'Young buyers' being those that can't afford a new BMW/MB/Audi?
I see a lot more Lexus/Infiniti cars on the road than Acura. SUV/CUV probably Lexus then Acura, with Infiniti 3rd for mid-tier luxury.
RPhilMan1 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM
_

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
'Young buyers' being those that can't afford a new BMW/MB/Audi?
Acura would have to have BMW's, MB's, Audi's, Lexus', etc sale data to substantiate their claims though. Do they all share with one another their sales data?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM
_

In the U.S. in 2018,

Acura sold 11,273 ILX
Audi sold 18,305 A3
BMW sold 9,208 2-series
Cadillac sold 10,860 ATS
MB sold 26,269 CLA
Tesla sold 140,317 Model 3

Acura's saying more "young buyers" as a cohort [what's their definition of a "young buyers" anyways, a Millennial (someone born between 1981 and 1996)?] bought the ILX?

Also, by "segment" does Acura mean price segment or entry-level segment?

If price segment, that would exclude the Model 3, even though it's an entry-level model like the ILX.

In SoCal, I see way more young people driving the Model 3 than the ILX.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 5,281 Likes on 3,620 Posts
I can't remember the last time I saw an ILX on the road. Primarily TL/TLX and the rare sighting of an RLX. Otherwise it's all RDX/MDX.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Young buyers are buying small CUVs...
kurtatx (01-10-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News