Acura: RSX news **Next Generation Speculation (page 7)**

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Is that the North American Acura TSX but with a 2L ?
Yes. Acura TSX 2.0. It will retain TSX shape and double wishbone suspension with significantly better fuel economy.
I wouldnot mind TSX 2.0 with IMA for same price as 2.4 Vtec.
Civic 1.5L is 110bhp/127 Ft-lb of Torque. with old 8V SOHC.
CRZ is 122bhp/128 Ft-lb with 16V
TSX 2.0 Hybrid should produce 170bhp/180 Ft-lb. while this may not have the top end performance of 2.4L but still it would be signifantly fuel efficient in City driving with good torque spread and this setup shouldnot be more expensive.
or Honda can go all the way and Produce 2.4 IMA hybrid. and i think they are going to this as Fit, Insight, CRZ, Civic hybrid is there line up.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
to Sly and Costco. There is a very simple reason why many on this site and several other sites are no longer impressed with what Acura is offering these days. To blame that on anyone other than Honda/Acura is misguided and takes any accountability away from Honda. Have many of us grown away from Acura? Sure. But theres no doubt there's a lot to desired in their lineup right now especially when it comes to anything even remotely sporty.
x2 to Sly & Costco

to dom
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
You're right, but a lot of these coupes are coming back in full force. I don't think it's a stretch to call the new Mustang and Camaro sports coupes, Nissan's got the Z and the G, Toyota/Subaru has their FT-86. And Mazda should be coming out with a new RX once their current design language fades out in a couple of years.

Basically every automaker that shelled out an affordable sports car back in the '90s has a new one out today or is clearly in the process of releasing one. All we've heard from Honda for years is a bunch of stuff that's never come to fruition.

When was the last time they released a significant performance technology? SH-AWD, which debuted in the 2005 Acura RL, 7 years ago.

To be fair, the FT-86 as far as I know has been delayed a few times. And the new RX7, I have been hearing about that since I was in high school (which was 7 or 8 years ago). The RX8 is not exactly a coupe....

Honda just stopped producing the Civic Type R several months ago since the 9th gen is coming. I'd imagine there will be a new Civic Type R.

I don't know when the last time Acura released a significant performance technology like the SH-AWD, but I don't really recall other companies like Infiniti and Lexus coming out with anything significant either. I have only heard about new hybrid systems, new engines, and more forward speeds.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
To be fair, the FT-86 as far as I know has been delayed a few times. And the new RX7, I have been hearing about that since I was in high school (which was 7 or 8 years ago). The RX8 is not exactly a coupe....

Honda just stopped producing the Civic Type R several months ago since the 9th gen is coming. I'd imagine there will be a new Civic Type R.

I don't know when the last time Acura released a significant performance technology like the SH-AWD, but I don't really recall other companies like Infiniti and Lexus coming out with anything significant either. I have only heard about new hybrid systems, new engines, and more forward speeds.
Infiniti as a brand hasn't made any strides that immediately come to mind - but instead their parent company Nissan has unleashed an absolute beast of an automobile as a whole in the GT-R. edit: apparently the VQ in the new M37 and the V8 in the M56 both employ direct injection.

Lexus as well for many of the same reasons... the LF-A. Pretty sure they've never employed a dry sump lubrication system or dropped a V10 in any of their production cars before, not to mention several other tech they've employed. On a less stratospheric level, they've made the IS-F to take the M3 head on.

Hyundai, once a running gag in the automotive industry is making scary improvements in the powertrain and quality department. They beat even Acura to the punch in putting a V8 in one of their production cars. Even Kia is employing turbocharged 4-cylinders in their cars these days.

You have BMW, MB and Audi increasingly implementing direct injection and forced induction to improve performance.

And what about Honda? They've employed IMA in a sporty package with the CR-Z, and they stuck a K24 in the new Civic Si - though that in itself isn't really anything 'new'. They FINALLY put a 6-speed automatic in the Odyssey and TL, while even the base Elantra now has a 6AT.

The majority of consumers care mostly about feasible aspects such as improved interior materials, concrete changes such as increased forward speeds, more horsepower, more torque, improved fuel economy, words like "turbocharged" etc. We care about these things because they often result in real results. Assuming gear ratios are optimized, there is almost no way an engine with fewer forward speeds can get better performance AND fuel economy... unless there are too many speeds and/or not enough power to take advantage.

Sadly, there is no way to sugarcoat it.... Honda is the new Toyota. Their interior material quality is slipping, there is less and less semblance of sporty, fun, "old Honda-like" vehicles in their lineup (K24 Civic Si, discontinuation of RSX, CL, S2000, NSX)

The FT-86 (now FR-S) may have been delayed, but it is confirmed for production by Toyota... not cancelled like the NSX successor.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Infiniti as a brand hasn't made any strides that immediately come to mind - but instead their parent company Nissan has unleashed an absolute beast of an automobile as a whole in the GT-R. edit: apparently the VQ in the new M37 and the V8 in the M56 both employ direct injection.

Lexus as well for many of the same reasons... the LF-A. Pretty sure they've never employed a dry sump lubrication system or dropped a V10 in any of their production cars before, not to mention several other tech they've employed. On a less stratospheric level, they've made the IS-F to take the M3 head on.

Hyundai, once a running gag in the automotive industry is making scary improvements in the powertrain and quality department. They beat even Acura to the punch in putting a V8 in one of their production cars. Even Kia is employing turbocharged 4-cylinders in their cars these days.

You have BMW, MB and Audi increasingly implementing direct injection and forced induction to improve performance.

And what about Honda? They've employed IMA in a sporty package with the CR-Z, and they stuck a K24 in the new Civic Si - though that in itself isn't really anything 'new'. They FINALLY put a 6-speed automatic in the Odyssey and TL, while even the base Elantra now has a 6AT.

The majority of consumers care mostly about feasible aspects such as improved interior materials, concrete changes such as increased forward speeds, more horsepower, more torque, improved fuel economy, words like "turbocharged" etc. We care about these things because they often result in real results. Assuming gear ratios are optimized, there is almost no way an engine with fewer forward speeds can get better performance AND fuel economy... unless there are too many speeds and/or not enough power to take advantage.

Sadly, there is no way to sugarcoat it.... Honda is the new Toyota. Their interior material quality is slipping, there is less and less semblance of sporty, fun, "old Honda-like" vehicles in their lineup (K24 Civic Si, discontinuation of RSX, CL, S2000, NSX)

The FT-86 (now FR-S) may have been delayed, but it is confirmed for production by Toyota... not cancelled like the NSX successor.
I like your description. Very true lol
Old 05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco

Are we talking about "significant performance technology" or "significant performance car"? I was refering to the technology part since Aman was asking, "when was the last time they [Acura/Honda] released a significant performance technology?"

Direct injection, dual clutch tranny, V8, V10, downsized boosted engines, dry sump lubrication, and some others aren't exactly "significant performance technologies" to me, as in, they have been around for a while and they aren't invented by Nissan/Toyota/Hyundai, etc. That's what I was getting at.

On the other hand, I think the M56 has DI, but not the M37.

Yes I agree, if you are talking about "significant performance cars," then Honda has not been doing much. Also, if you talking about packing the large amount of new technologies into a car, Honda won't win that as well. After all, the Honda that I know is known for doing more for less. I don't think that philosophy has changed much. And most of the time, Honda can deliver real world results (I have posted many real mpg numbers before that have shown Honda's dominance in this area).

I don't think Honda or anyone is trying to sugarcoat anything. Take the new Civic as an example. I know some folks here dislike it mainly because of its interior quality. Other than that, it's simply an evolution of the 8th gen car. The 8th gen has been selling like hot cakes during its life, it can't be that bad right? I haven't sat in the newest model yet, so I can't tell if the materials used are worse than before. However, after looking at some photos, I find that panel gaps are smaller than before. Isn't that part of quality? I also heard from some folks here saying that the new Civic is not as fun to drive, so it's a Corolla now. Well, from what I've read and from my personal experience, the 8th gen is a bit noisy, a bit too harsh, over all, it's not all that smooth. The 9th gen is better in those areas now. Inevitably, when the car is more refined, then most likely you would lose that "raw" feel. I'd also like to add that the Civic at the minimum has multi-link rear suspension. What do Corolla and Elantra use? May be that's where the money is going to? Other cars like the Focus and Cruze also have nice suspension, but look at their weight, 3000lb or more. Why are they so much heavier than the Civic? Perhaps the Civic uses more high strength steel (obviously more $$). What I see is that, the Civic has a really good base - good suspension, good chassis, good engine. It still has potential to improve (ie, 6AT, better interior materials, or even DI). On the other hand, it seems like the other cars are already maxed out.