Acura: RLX News

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I disagree. If the car isnt selling, get rid of it. It doesnt mean you cant bring it back but you need to stop production on something that isnt selling. Put some money and effort into redesigning it and make it something that people want to buy. (and at the current rate of price increase the TL will be in that 50k range sooner than later)
But why? I've heard that argument but no one explains why they think it would help. I've given MY reasons for taking the position I have. I'm not saying I'm right.

Are you suggesting that the RL is a drain and distraction on Acura and they can't chew gum and walk at the same time? Or, are you maybe suggesting that it has a negative affect on the image from a broad consumer perspective? What is the rational for killing a model today that they have already said they plan to keep and evolve in the next generation release?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey

Sorry, I didn't understand this last question until I went back and read the original question a few posts ago. You asked are those list if cars entry-luxury. I misread it as "luxury". In that case, I change my answer to yes for you. Not sure what the point was you were tryng to make but hope that helps.

Buick, Lincoln, Volvo, etc. I would see as in a subcategory below BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. Those brands are of course below the higher tier of luxury and exotics brands such as Bentley, Rolls, etc. I would put Acura in that category with Buick and Lincoln. Why? Well that was my original point before you started asking me those direct questions. The Acura brand is not on the same level as Lexus et al. Why? Because it's all about price when categorizing brands. It's not that my Acura RL isn't every bit as "luxurious" as a Lexus GS, or BMW 535. In many ways it's MORE. But the brand is not on the same level because they don't offer cars in that $70-$100k range. In the minds of consumers that's what people use to judge brands. It's why Lexus sells so many ES models eventhough everyone would laugh out loud at Acura if they offered that very same car next year. People buying an ES are really buying it because it's next to the LS on the showroom floor and they want some of that cars mojo. They want to be mistaken for driving a $75k car when in fact they are driving a $35k fwd well appointed Camry. It's all about the range of the total lineup and the price points they compete in when people slot brands in their mind. If Lexus didn't sell the LS they would be Infiniti in the minds of consumers. And that's not good because Infiniti ranks just below Acura at the moment in surveys on that subject.

WHich brings me back to the ORIGINAL point and the current topic listed in the title of this thread; Should Acura consider getting rid of the current RL because it's a poor seller. I say no way if they are serious about their comments a couple years ago to be competitors in the BMW, Lexus, group. I don't care if they sell 2 a month. Leave it there because it's the only product they sell up into the $50k range. And while it sits there, work hard on getting a product that pushes into the $60's and even $70's.
I agree with the bold.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
What is the rational for killing a model today that they have already said they plan to keep and evolve in the next generation release?
Then why did they kill it in Japan?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I agree with the bold.
OK so since you don't agree with the last point, then maybe you can explain to me the argument about why Acura should kill the current RL right now. You are good at articulating yourself. I think most of the guys are looking at this argument from a Honda/Acura enthusiast perspective. You know,; "It's a failure in it's category and that bothers me personally so get it out of here so I can feel better about the brand." That's fine for another thread. But on this thread, and for this subject, I think you need to take off that hat and put on your business cap and pretend to be an executive making a multi-million dollar decision. WHY should Honda stop production on this car? I'm sincerely interested because I'm far from always right and I'd be interested in another pierspective.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
WHich brings me back to the ORIGINAL point and the current topic listed in the title of this thread; Should Acura consider getting rid of the current RL because it's a poor seller. I say no way if they are serious about their comments a couple years ago to be competitors in the BMW, Lexus, group. I don't care if they sell 2 a month. Leave it there because it's the only product they sell up into the $50k range. And while it sits there, work hard on getting a product that pushes into the $60's and even $70's.
Not true anymore Mikey. Both the MDX and ZDX go up into the 50K range. In fact, if highest price = flagship, the RL isn't even the flagship anymore, it's the ZDX.

In reality, 50% of the models(RL MDX and ZDX) go into the 50K range now the only ones that don't are the RDX TSX and TL.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by biker
Good question. I think we must assume that they don't plan to offer that car again in the Japanese market. Japan is in terrible economic condition. Far worse than us. Theyve been in a stalled economy for over 10 years. Their island is small and crowded and they are making a push for greener smaller cars ahead of the U.S. The Honda Legend is dead in Japan. I understand the business reasoning completely.

Now, if they redesign the Legend in 2 years and reintroduce it in Japan along with rolling it out in NA, then I will be very surprised and I will admit I should never apply for a job at Honda because I dont think like them at all
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by black label
Not true anymore Mikey. Both the MDX and ZDX go up into the 50K range. In fact, if highest price = flagship, the RL isn't even the flagship anymore, it's the ZDX.

In reality, 50% of the models(RL MDX and ZDX) go into the 50K range now the only ones that don't are the RDX TSX and TL.
You're right. From a base price its still the highest but the ZDX can be trimmed out higher.

Thats a whole other argument. I think thats been discussed before. Acura and Honda execs were quoted several times that they view their RL as the "flagship". I think they even said it on the statement they made to counter the rumor about it being killed. I agree its not much of a flagship. I think that's the main reason for this debate, but it's their view not mine.

I think that also is a clue that they don't plan to become a SUV brand like Land Rover otherwise they would have probably started referring to the ZDX as their flagship. I assume this inbalance is just temporary as they shift the brand up a notch in price. The current RL is the oldest model now in the lineup and all the evidence points to the fact that it WILL be replaced and it WILL sit at the top of the lineup in price again

Last edited by SpicyMikey; 08-09-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Good question. I do know that after 2005, it was not very popular in Japan, either. My guess would be that they were selling fewer copies in Japan than in the U.S.--Japan's car market is small, and the market for a car of the Legend/RL's size is exceptionally small there IMHO.

Honda did not say officially, though, so we don't really know.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Lexus, Volvo, Buick and most models of MB/BMW are lower tiered than Acura. Only pure Made in Germany Audi is higher tier brand with most expensive content.
Hyundia cut costs & lowered weight for the platform when didnot design Sonata for V6.
Acura vehicles are not designed for V8 so V6 models are lighter and less expensive. They give the oldest tech, oldest engine, transmission, and less customizable.
Just built TL-SH-AWD in Japan with V8, DI engine ($3K atleast), rear vented brakes, 6speed, all the options of Lexus GS and its price will flew past Lexus GS. I am not even going into dedicated RWD platforms.
Honda as brand is more prestigious than anything Toyota and its pay structure reflect it. Although not comparable to imprted CEO Carlos Ghosan.
Its all about Value. for Lexus you get more specialized car and latest tech for less money and built in Japan for anything closer to $50K.
while most of Acura models in $50K are NA built in middle of lower wage.
It is like comparing Audi built in China with lower price and compare it $100K imported MDX.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Honda did not say officially, though, so we don't really know.
I thought they did. I thought the mistake was in extrapolating that out to include the RL in the US market. Thanks for the clarification
Old 08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
You're right. From a base price its still the highest but the ZDX can be trimmed out higher.

Thats a whole other argument. I think thats been discussed before. Acura and Honda execs were quoted several times that they view their RL as the "flagship". I think they even said it on the statement they made to counter the rumor about it being killed. I agree its not much of a flagship. I think that's the main reason for this debate, but it's their view not mine.

I think that also is a clue that they don't plan to become a SUV brand like Land Rover otherwise they would have probably started referring to the ZDX as their flagship. I assume this inbalance is just temporary as they shift the brand up a notch in price. The current RL is the oldest model now in the lineup and all the evidence points to the fact that it WILL be replaced and it WILL sit at the top of the lineup in price again
My only real point was that across the board Acuras have gotten more expensive.

Personally, I don't equate highest price to mean flagship, I just threw it out there as some people do. While I don't think the ZDX makes a good "flag ship" vehicle, IMO it blows the RL out of the water. The attention to detail on the inside is a step above anything Acura has ever put on the road.

If the next RL gets the interior treatment the ZDX got, we are going to looking at a really nice (and hopefully competitive) flagship sedan.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Go Big Blue!

^^ I understand. Point taken

I agree. I took it on a test drive recently when I took my RL in for an scheduled service. It was a slow day so me and the salesman, who sold me another car recently, took it on a long test drive. Wrong thread to start a discussion about the ZDX but it was certainly a notch up with the interior. I liked the leather dash board treatment. I could see replacing my wifes MDX with one when the lease is up but she doesn't like the looks at all. Eventhough we don't need much utility anymore, the ZDX seems like too much of a compromise in that department. They should lower the thing and call it a sedan. I think they'd sell more.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

OK so since you don't agree with the last point, then maybe you can explain to me the argument about why Acura should kill the current RL right now. You are good at articulating yourself. I think most of the guys are looking at this argument from a Honda/Acura enthusiast perspective. You know,; "It's a failure in it's category and that bothers me personally so get it out of here so I can feel better about the brand." That's fine for another thread. But on this thread, and for this subject, I think you need to take off that hat and put on your business cap and pretend to be an executive making a multi-million dollar decision. WHY should Honda stop production on this car? I'm sincerely interested because I'm far from always right and I'd be interested in another pierspective.
I am split on what Acura should do. It is clear why you think the RL should remain where it is and I understand it completely. That said, I tend to look at things from a business perspective and I'm not convinced that keeping it (instead of putting it on hiatus for the 2012-2013 RL) is financially wise. It'd be ironic to have "smart luxury" having a car on the lot that doesn't sell.

I think Acura could focus more on performance with the new RL. Size it like a Pontiac G8 (neither BIG nor midsize) and use a more successful variation of the Acura styling group. It should be very aggressively styled and taut, and having driven the G8, that miracle of a ride/handling balance should be strived for. But luxury is most important, and the interior needs to set new standards for an Acura vehicle. I think it should be on its own platform, whether a new FWD platform with only SH-AWD or a RWD platform. It should also be available with a V8 or FI V6. This car needs to separate itself completely from the fancy Honda norm.

And maybe that can move it a little more upscale, more XF Supercharged and CLS-Class than E-Class and XF 5.0. This would force (thankfully) the new TL to shrink back to pre-2009 dimensions again but could offer an Advance package and all so that the price covers the lower end of the current RL.

Or something like that. Acura can carve their own niche out rather than just following the cliche desire for BMW-MB status.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Sorry, I didn't understand this last question until I went back and read the original question a few posts ago. You asked are those list if cars entry-luxury. I misread it as "luxury". In that case, I change my answer to yes for you. Not sure what the point was you were tryng to make but hope that helps.

Buick, Lincoln, Volvo, etc. I would see as in a subcategory below BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. Those brands are of course below the higher tier of luxury and exotics brands such as Bentley, Rolls, etc. I would put Acura in that category with Buick and Lincoln. Why? Well that was my original point before you started asking me those direct questions. The Acura brand is not on the same level as Lexus et al. Why? Because it's all about price when categorizing brands. It's not that my Acura RL isn't every bit as "luxurious" as a Lexus GS, or BMW 535. In many ways it's MORE. But the brand is not on the same level because they don't offer cars in that $70-$100k range. In the minds of consumers that's what people use to judge brands. It's why Lexus sells so many ES models eventhough everyone would laugh out loud at Acura if they offered that very same car next year. People buying an ES are really buying it because it's next to the LS on the showroom floor and they want some of that cars mojo. They want to be mistaken for driving a $75k car when in fact they are driving a $35k fwd well appointed Camry. It's all about the range of the total lineup and the price points they compete in when people slot brands in their mind. If Lexus didn't sell the LS they would be Infiniti in the minds of consumers. And that's not good because Infiniti ranks just below Acura at the moment in surveys on that subject.

I agree somewhat with this, that acura is a notch below BMW/Benz/Lexus/Audi. The reason for this is partially what you suggested.

Acura's cars can be just as nice as a 328 and a 528 (not 335 or 535 as acura lacks HP/TQ to compete with those) along with a X3 and X5, maybe x6. HOWEVER what they lack is the ability to offer more. They recently came out with the advance package which those 4 have had since almost 2003! 7 YEARS LATER! As well, those 4 brands offer quite a bit more in terms of customization and options. Acura has literally 4 options and that's it. Those 4 on the other hand have things such as 20 way power seats, cooled + heated + massaging seats, Sunshades (power/nonpower) 3-4 zone climate systems, rear heated seats, nightvision, V8's, etc.

The lack of being able to customize a car into such a high dollar range is what kills it! Trust me, when you are on the car builder website, most of us here try to get it as expensive as we want or get it to something past our budget. With acura, it's 1 of 4 options and your done and there's not much left.

Until acura can offer more customization in the sense of options for consumers, they won't be able to get out of their little niche and as well away from the image of being a luxury honda.

Time and time again I have said this, compare the RL to any of those competitors, does it offer anything such as 20+ way power seats, no. Does it offer eletronically controlled dampening, no. Does it offer even a heated steering wheel, no. There is quite a bit missing and acura tries to act as if it's not necessary! And then if they believe it's necessary, they half ass the job! Take for example the new TL with the keyless entry system! It functions well enough, but that slot in the dash looks horrible! As well who the hell decided to put in a bright red button?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by csmeance
HOWEVER what they lack is the ability to offer more. They recently came out with the advance package which those 4 have had since almost 2003! 7 YEARS LATER! As well, those 4 brands offer quite a bit more in terms of customization and options. Acura has literally 4 options and that's it. Those 4 on the other hand have things such as 20 way power seats, cooled + heated + massaging seats, Sunshades (power/nonpower) 3-4 zone climate systems, rear heated seats, nightvision, V8's, etc.

The lack of being able to customize a car into such a high dollar range is what kills it! Trust me, when you are on the car builder website, most of us here try to get it as expensive as we want or get it to something past our budget. With acura, it's 1 of 4 options and your done and there's not much left.

Until acura can offer more customization in the sense of options for consumers, they won't be able to get out of their little niche and as well away from the image of being a luxury honda.
I've heard that before many times. I don't know if that hurts them. Maybe it does. Certainly doesn't help as there are some folks who really want the car THEIR way and are willing to order it custom and wait. Not sure how many customers are like that. Maybe CL6 can weight in on that with this MB experience and tell us how many customize their cars and order them rather than take one off the lot. I would certainly agree that when you get into the higher prices you need to offer base models with not much in them. Until 2008 Acura didn't do that with the RL. Personally, when I look in an MB and BMW and talk to ownerse, they are more times than not NOT well equipped. That tells me they probably can't really afford it and just want the shell to impress others. For me, I'd rather have a well equiped Camry than a stripped down ES if my budget didnt allow me to get the maxed out ES. But that's me and I realize it's not typical.

Originally Posted by csmeance
Time and time again I have said this, compare the RL to any of those competitors, does it offer anything such as 20+ way power seats, no. Does it offer eletronically controlled dampening, no. Does it offer even a heated steering wheel, no. There is quite a bit missing and acura tries to act as if it's not necessary! And then if they believe it's necessary, they half ass the job!
Can't argue there but to say; remember the RL is "OLD". It was really very advanced and impressive from that department when it first came out. It didn't sell real well then either, but in 2010 it is definitely in need of a FMC to compete. But that's the natural cycle of things and inherent in this business. Everyone has cars in the lineup that are showing age. The E was terribly in need of a refresh several years ago but only just got it.

By the way, sorry I'm talking so much these last few days and clogging up this site. I'm laid up from some small surgery and have nothing to do. I'm starting to annoy my wife too
Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
And maybe that can move it a little more upscale, more XF Supercharged and CLS-Class than E-Class and XF 5.0. This would force (thankfully) the new TL to shrink back to pre-2009 dimensions again but could offer an Advance package and all so that the price covers the lower end of the current RL.
Agree that this would be a good move........but then the TL may be invading on the TSX's dimensions/market, no? If, in turn, the TSX was then put onto it's own relatively-smaller platform, I would find that an enticing mix of vehicles.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DJMD
Agree that this would be a good move........but then the TL may be invading on the TSX's dimensions/market, no? If, in turn, the TSX was then put onto it's own relatively-smaller platform, I would find that an enticing mix of vehicles.
Well I didn't want to move off topic but yes, the TSX would go back to pre-2008 dimensions and step back where it "belongs" ....in my world, admittedly. LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

Are you suggesting that the RL is a drain and distraction on Acura and they can't chew gum and walk at the same time? Or, are you maybe suggesting that it has a negative affect on the image from a broad consumer perspective? What is the rational for killing a model today that they have already said they plan to keep and evolve in the next generation release?
Yes. The RL image is ruined. The 3.7L-V6 SH-AWD TL has help ruining it. The RL is virtually the one-class-down TL but tagged with a hefty price premium.

It is much better to kill the RL designation, create a brand new from-the-ground-up sedan, give it a new name designation, e.g., XL, YL, or ZL. A new beginning, a new start. Let the failed fades in time.

The new RL-replacement sedan MUST be more powerful and more advance than the top-line TL, to warrant buyers paying that hefty price premium. Preferably with a V8 or a 350-400hp hybrid/forced-induction V6, and a even more advanced AWD system, exclusively only for the new sedan and not for the TL family line, in order to set it apart from the one-class-down TL family line.

Any sharing of hardware with the TL will only help bringing down the new RL-replacement sedan, just like today's ill-fortuned RL. Who's stupid enough to pay premium price for something that a similar version can be had for a much cheaper price tag.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
By the way, sorry I'm talking so much these last few days and clogging up this site. I'm laid up from some small surgery and have nothing to do. I'm starting to annoy my wife too
Well, get well soon, bro!

Last edited by vybzkartel; 08-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
But why? I've heard that argument but no one explains why they think it would help. I've given MY reasons for taking the position I have. I'm not saying I'm right.

Im not sure what you are looking for in a answer, No one is saying its hurting the other cars in their lineup sell. Its not going to help their bottom line to have it sitting around and that money could be saved from manufacturing and put it to the development of a better product that will sell. I and others arent suggesting kill it for good. We are saying just get rid of it now until they can come out with something better and use that money for development.

Why do you think its a good idea to keep the car going when the ones they produce just sit there? If you were in the business of making a product and a certain product never sold, would you continue to produce it even though you havent sold what you had or would you stop making it and try a different making a different product? A smart business would move on to something different.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In the minds of consumers that's what people use to judge brands. It's why Lexus sells so many ES models eventhough everyone would laugh out loud at Acura if they offered that very same car next year. People buying an ES are really buying it because it's next to the LS on the showroom floor and they want some of that cars mojo. They want to be mistaken for driving a $75k car when in fact they are driving a $35k fwd well appointed Camry. It's all about the range of the total lineup and the price points they compete in when people slot brands in their mind. If Lexus didn't sell the LS they would be Infiniti in the minds of consumers. And that's not good because Infiniti ranks just below Acura at the moment in surveys on that subject.
Infiniti ranks below Acura on that subject? Never heard of something so ridiculous. Who the heck r u talking to?

Infiniti had that problem with the Q. Instead of farting around with it and letting it costs tons of money, they got rid of it. Seems to be a good business decision if you ask me, can't say the same for Acura with the current RL and its poor sales. In fact, Infiniti has been able to move the current M a little bit further upmarket from where it was back in 2006 and even with its price point increase, it is selling pretty well so far, just sitting below the E-Class and 5-Series. Hey were is the RL sitting in the luxury sedan category. Is it sitting above the M in sales, features, performance, etc making Acura sit above Infiniti? Nope, not even close. Acura is currently below everyone in this category, even below the A6 and GS in sales. If you think that is giving Acura a grand/prestigious reputation and status then I don't know what more to say then

Have you actually driven a Camry XLE and a ES350 back to back on the same route/conditions with a test drive? I have, and I can tell you, the ES350 is no glorified Camry. It might share the same platform but that is where the similarities end. The Lexus was much more refined in almost every single area compared to the Toyota and warranted its price increase over the Camry. I'm talking about materials, fit/finish, seat comfort, body motion control, noise levels, handling improvement, feature content, dealership sales/service treatment, and many many more areas I'm forgetting. Personally though, I didn't care for each, simply b/c of the lack of feedback in the wheel, and driving experience. I like to have a little bit of that when driving and they did not provide enough for my taste.

Seems to me, that if your ES is getting mistaken from a distance for a LS, then your really getting you monies worth for that 35-38k bucks, without having to spend an arm and leg on a 70k + LS sedan.

Last edited by smarty666; 08-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smarty666
Infiniti ranks below Acura on that subject? Never heard of something so ridiculous. Who the heck r u talking to?

Infiniti had that problem with the Q. Instead of farting around with it and letting it costs tons of money, they got rid of it. Seems to be a good business decision if you ask me, can't say the same for Acura with the current RL and its poor sales. In fact, Infiniti has been able to move the current M a little bit further upmarket from where it was back in 2006 and even with its price point increase, it is selling pretty well so far, just sitting below the E-Class and 5-Series. Hey were is the RL sitting in the luxury sedan category. Is it sitting above the M in sales, features, performance, etc making Acura sit above Infiniti? Nope, not even close. Acura is currently below everyone in this category, even below the A6 and GS in sales. If you think that is giving Acura a grand/prestigious reputation and status then I don't know what more to say then

Have you actually driven a Camry XLE and a ES350 back to back on the same route/conditions with a test drive? I have, and I can tell you, the ES350 is no glorified Camry. It might share the same platform but that is where the similarities end. The Lexus was much more refined in almost every single area compared to the Toyota and warranted its price increase over the Camry. I'm talking about materials, fit/finish, seat comfort, body motion control, noise levels, handling improvement, feature content, dealership sales/service treatment, and many many more areas I'm forgetting. Personally though, I didn't care for each, simply b/c of the lack of feedback in the wheel, and driving experience. I like to have a little bit of that when driving and they did not provide enough for my taste.

Seems to me, that if your ES is getting mistaken from a distance for a LS, then your really getting you monies worth for that 35-38k bucks, without having to spend an arm and leg on a 70k + LS sedan.
Finally someone somewhere other than on ClubLexus gets it. It's as different or more different from a Camry as the TL is from the Accord.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
6th Gear

I'm just hoping for Acura to design something (say the RL) give it some awesome motor options (v6 and v8) with RWD and have optional AWD and just blow Infinity, Lexus and everyone else out of the water.....sort of pipe dream, but c'mon Acura! We've all been waiting for something now give it to us!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Hope you recover soon!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chiacuradude
I'm just hoping for Acura to design something (say the RL) give it some awesome motor options (v6 and v8) with RWD and have optional AWD and just blow Infinity, Lexus and everyone else out of the water.....sort of pipe dream, but c'mon Acura! We've all been waiting for something now give it to us!
Couldn't of said it any better myself man! Well done!!! I still have hope b/c that is all I can cling to since reality with Acura has left me nothing else. I still have some patience left with Acura but it only can go so far and its beginning to wear thin!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Go Big Blue!

If you were in the business of making a product and a certain product never sold, would you continue to produce it even though you havent sold what you had or would you stop making it and try a different making a different product? A smart business would move on to something different.
I am. And i do. I own a company and have a couple products I import from overseas and sell as part of an integration with the software we manufaturer and sell. Because of this recession and supply problems. The costs have skyrocketed. I continue to sell it. Why? Because it adds value to my core product and helps expand my brand image as a product that offers this unique service. Also, I hope things will change in the next couple years and I can make money with it again. It never even crossed my mind to abandon my existing customers because I'm not making money on it right now.

That's a specific example of mine but it happens all the time for many different reasons in business. Here's another. Milk. No one makes money selling milk. Its what you call a "lose leader". If you own a small deli or grocery store why would you sell something you don't make money on. Of course we can probably figure it out if we think about it for a second. You sell it because you know it will bring people in the store and they will buy other things.

You don't necessarily sell specific products for the profit you make on them as much as you pick products for the synergy they provide for the entire "store".
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Well, get well soon, bro!
Thanks. Nothing serious. I'll be back in my routine in a few more days.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Go Big Blue!

Well I've been know to hallucinate but I know I read it somewhere recently. Thought it was even on Acurazine. Tried to find it but can't. It was an "image" ranking that had Acura above Infiniti and Cadillac above Acura. The usual suspects; Lexus, BMW, and MB were at the top. I'll look for it again but will retract that statement until I can find it. Regardless, they are both in the middle of the pack somewhere and not near the top.

Have you actually driven a Camry XLE and a ES350 back to back on the same route/conditions with a test drive? I have, and I can tell you, the ES350 is no glorified Camry. It might share the same platform but that is where the similarities end. The Lexus was much more refined in almost every single area compared to the Toyota and warranted its price increase over the Camry.
My brother in law owns exactly that Camry and I've asked to drive it on several occasions. I test drove the ES and GS in 2007 when I was looking for a new car and ended up buying the RL. I just remember thinking this wasn't worth the money. Of course, that's all personal perception. Not sure how to debate that. Maybe I'll test drive one again next time I'm at my Lexus dealer for service on our IS. My wife needs a new car soon and wants sedan this time. A fwd soft rider is right up her alley

Last edited by SpicyMikey; 08-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I am. And i do. I own a company and have a couple products I import from overseas and sell as part of an integration with the software we manufaturer and sell. Because of this recession and supply problems. The costs have skyrocketed. I continue to sell it. Why? Because it adds value to my core product and helps expand my brand image as a product that offers this unique service. Also, I hope things will change in the next couple years and I can make money with it again. It never even crossed my mind to abandon my existing customers because I'm not making money on it right now.

That's a specific example of mine but it happens all the time for many different reasons in business. Here's another. Milk. No one makes money selling milk. Its what you call a "lose leader". If you own a small deli or grocery store why would you sell something you don't make money on. Of course we can probably figure it out if we think about it for a second. You sell it because you know it will bring people in the store and they will buy other things.

You don't necessarily sell specific products for the profit you make on them as much as you pick products for the synergy they provide for the entire "store".
That is a different set of examples. I said a manufacturer of the product. It makes no sense to keep a product that costs money to make just to sit there and not sell. Sales figures are abysmal for it. I think they would peak more interest removing it now, and giving a "release" date of the NEW product to give people something to look forward to and start talking about (even if it is a year or so out)
Can you honestly tell me that people come into the Acura dealer to see the RL right now and end up walking out with the TSX? Id be more inclined to go in to see the ZDX than the RL. I see ZERO "synergy" for the dealer having a RL sitting on their lot not selling.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 08-10-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Race Director

i see zero "synergy" for the dealer having a rl sitting on their lot not selling.
+1
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Go Big Blue!

That is a different set of examples. I said a manufacturer of the product. Can you honestly tell me that people come into the Acura dealer to see the RL right now and end up walking out with the TSX? Id be more inclined to go in to see the ZDX than the RL. I see ZERO "synergy" for the dealer having a RL sitting on their lot not selling.
Fair enough. The milk thing was just another example of the many reasons businesses sell things they make no profit on. You can dismiss that if you wish but I'm trying to push back on this idea that if Acura makes no money on the RL they should stop selling it.

My example of selling the integrated import products is more in line. Sometimes you must do things to help the brand and other products in the lineup. You obviously don't think the RL does either. That's fine. Honda obviously thinks you are wrong. I think you are wrong. Not much really to debate about. I was just giving you some insite into why businesses do the things they do, and possibly why Acura is selling the RL eventhough they only sell a couple hundred a month.

Last edited by SpicyMikey; 08-10-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Race Director

My example of selling the integrated import products is more in line. Sometimes you must do things to help the brand and other products in the lineup. You obviously don't think the RL does either. That's fine. Honda obviously thinks you are wrong. I think you are wrong. Not much really to debate about. I was just giving you some insite into why businesses do the things they do, and possibly why Acura is selling the RL eventhough they only sell a couple hundred a month.
No, Honda keeps selling the RL to save face (nothing wrong with that) and to help out the marketing guys - it has nothing to do with bringing in other business (it doesn't), or help the brand (it doesn't).
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Go Big Blue!

No, Honda keeps selling the RL to save face (nothing wrong with that) and to help out the marketing guys - it has nothing to do with bringing in other business (it doesn't), or help the brand (it doesn't).
I suppose it's possible that it's hurting brand image. In that case I'd agree. You kill the sale of a product. But that's a whole other debate. Does the slow selling RL hurt sales of other cars or tarnish the brand image? Or is that just for the buyers who also follow the industry and read ranking lists and sales reports (a very tiny percentage of car buyers).

As far as continuing to sell the car to save face and help the marketers. I don't know. Of course that sort of thing happens all the time in big corporations, but there are lots of people involved in making decisions and it's hard to continue to do something that is a poor decision without being challenged (or fired). Not the least of which would be the Board who represents the shareholders and can hire and fire the CEO and senior staff.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
That is a different set of examples. I said a manufacturer of the product. It makes no sense to keep a product that costs money to make just to sit there and not sell. Sales figures are abysmal for it. I think they would peak more interest removing it now, and giving a "release" date of the NEW product to give people something to look forward to and start talking about (even if it is a year or so out)
Can you honestly tell me that people come into the Acura dealer to see the RL right now and end up walking out with the TSX? Id be more inclined to go in to see the ZDX than the RL. I see ZERO "synergy" for the dealer having a RL sitting on their lot not selling.
Your key statement is "not sell" which as we know is not true, the RL sells but extremely few. Honda has probably adjusted the manufacturing and sub-contractors to these very low numbers.

Any auto manufcturer in business knows you have to move product and adjust manufacturing accordingly, wheither to fleet sales or incentives. It's the mantra of the Sloan school of business. The auto industry is a low-margin, capital intensive industry and sometimes it better to loose some money per product than to have the product sit there.

Do people come in looking for a RL and wind up with a TL? IDK, perhaps in very small numbers. Whenever I'm at the dealership I always look and sit in the RL, I like the interior but at $50K I'd rather put that sort of money into my daughters college funds.

IMO the synergy would be to just have a balanced product line, it's fairly obvious that Honda/Acura are selling very few and I wonder if there is much if any profit margin but it does balance out the product line well (3 sedans, 3 SUV's).

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-10-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Honda does not need to adjust subcontracting that much as engine, transmission is shared across the line up. It is not some special 8speed for RL.
LS 460 has total production of 20K in 2009 for the whole world.
It hardly justifies its existence. Honda Legend 5000 for whole world is not bad as it has single engine choice. No hybrid or Diesel.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Go Big Blue!

^^ speaking of the LS. How about the 750. Weren't they selling a few hundred a month in the last 2 years before the refresh. Or, the GS. What a dog that is from a sales perspective. Maybe Lexus should kill it and just go with the ES since its in the same category from a size perspective.

There are examples of cars selling badly all the time as they are due for a redesign. If the car is a dog and you don't think it can ever compete and/or is not adding value to the lineup, then kill it. e.g. the Lexus SC. If it's just due for a refresh and that spot in the lineup is needed, then you keep plugging along.

I'd argue strongly that Acura needs 3 sedans and something above the TL. When I purchased the RL in 2007 I think it competed well against it's competition for what I needed. A little underpowered but it had some neat features (like CMBS) and a great nav system that was industry best. The SHAWD was cool and I ended up chosing it over some other choices. But if I was looking for a sedan like that now, I wouldn't pick the RL. It has nothing special or unique anymore and is still underpowered. I'm not surprised it only sells 200 a month. But that doesn't mean you stop selling it
Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

There is another dud in Lexus line up. LX which has 200 or so sales and is keep falling.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ speaking of the LS. How about the 750. Weren't they selling a few hundred a month in the last 2 years before the refresh. Or, the GS. What a dog that is from a sales perspective. Maybe Lexus should kill it and just go with the ES since its in the same category from a size perspective.

There are examples of cars selling badly all the time as they are due for a redesign. If the car is a dog and you don't think it can ever compete and/or is not adding value to the lineup, then kill it. e.g. the Lexus SC. If it's just due for a refresh and that spot in the lineup is needed, then you keep plugging along.

I'd argue strongly that Acura needs 3 sedans and something above the TL. When I purchased the RL in 2007 I think it competed well against it's competition for what I needed. A little underpowered but it had some neat features (like CMBS) and a great nav system that was industry best. The SHAWD was cool and I ended up chosing it over some other choices. But if I was looking for a sedan like that now, I wouldn't pick the RL. It has nothing special or unique anymore and is still underpowered. I'm not surprised it only sells 200 a month. But that doesn't mean you stop selling it
You are correct. It was in regard to the GS. It has not done well for Lexus, compared to the other models, BUT, they are coming out with a new one next year or year after, not sure which but at least THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING about it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Problem is I don't think the RL ever sold all that well. Could be wrong, but at the least it must've lost a lot of steam after at least 2005-2006/7. Others should still sell well through their entire life, like the 5-Series or E-Class.

The A6 is as old as the RL and is outselling it seven to one.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

A6 is in 600 to 700. so it is not 7 to 1. and A6 has comprehsive upgrade.
with LED DRL, 3D HDD Navi, blind spot, 6Speed auto, DI supercharged engine.
Honda needs LED DRL in $50k car to make any impression.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News