Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have no idea how so many of ya'll can be so excited with this car. The front looks nice, the rest=no presence, no look of luxury, just okay. I also noticed the cheap SH-AWD badge on the trunk. Real luxurious. Why not slap a type-S badge too?

The car is nice, no doubt. But getting Lexus and BMW and Benz and Audi owners to leave? I don't think so.
im holding off comment until i see how the shorty performs
Old 07-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

blue one owns
Old 07-20-2004, 09:25 PM

Old 07-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Old 07-20-2004, 09:37 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
and the GS, LS, and ES are beautiful designs The LS has the road presence of that Hyundai.......
Old 07-20-2004, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
and the GS, LS, and ES are beautiful designs The LS has the road presence of that Hyundai.......
Clearly people do, since they sell/sold well. The LS looks like an old Benz but there is no denying the presence of the car.
Shit, it looks like an old Benz. Benzs are full of presence.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
I have no idea how so many of ya'll can be so excited with this car. The front looks nice, the rest=no presence, no look of luxury, just okay. I also noticed the cheap SH-AWD badge on the trunk. Real luxurious. Why not slap a type-S badge too?

The car is nice, no doubt. But getting Lexus and BMW and Benz and Audi owners to leave? I don't think so.

It looks about as exciting as any recent Lexus design.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:35 AM
misanthropist

I kinda see what you are trying to do, but what's your point, more than half the asian sedans on the road look like this, try again...
Old 07-21-2004, 07:40 AM
misanthropist

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/futur...a_rl_2005.html

2005 Acura RL
by Michelle Krebs, NewCarTestDrive.com
On Sale:
Fall 2004
Expected Pricing:
under $50,000

Honda's luxury division Acura has not had a proper flagship sedan, in the vein of Toyota's Lexus and Nissan's Infiniti, but it moves closer with the upcoming redesigned RL, on sale in the fall as a 2005 model.
While Acura was the first luxury division established as a separate franchise by a Japanese carmaker, it worked its way up with midsize and then small cars, later adding the RL sedan and NSX sports car. Though Lexus and Infiniti arrived a few years later, they burst on the scene with top-of-the-line sedans as their first models, and then they worked their way up and down the price/size spectrum.

Acura, meantime, was criticized for having a so-called flagship with the RL that was front-wheel drive instead of rear-wheel drive and its engine V6 instead of V8 power.

For the 2005 model year, however, Acura moves a step closer to a legitimate flagship sedan with the completely redesigned RL. The new RL was shown in prototype form at this spring's New York International Auto Show, but the production version is expected to be very similar.

The stodgy, rounded shape of the current RL has been traded in for tighter skin and sharper lines. It has cues from the midsize TL, redesigned for the 2004 model year, including its wedge shape, steeply sloping hood and more macho face, but it isn't merely a larger TL. It has its own personality. Like the TL, the new RL is shorter and wider than the current one to give it a wider, muscular stance.
Inside, the new RL is more spacious than the current model. Like the TL, it is lusciously lavish, with Audi-like craftsmanship, rich leather and genuine wood trim.

Underneath its contemporary skin is a rigid but lightweight body made mostly of aluminum. The sub frame and suspension use aluminum as does the hood, trunk and front fenders. The frame is designed to disperse energy forces in a collision over a larger area of the front to keep passengers safe.

The RL continues to be powered by a V6, which in these days of high gas prices may prove to be smart. But it's a lot of V6 power. The 3.5-liter 24-valve aluminum VTEC V6 generates 300 horsepower while still meeting low-emissions standards. We don't expect to see an Acura flagship with V8 power in the near future. Acura's top brass has been quoted as saying the only V8 that'll ever be in an Acura showroom will be of the beverage variety

The RL's V6 is paired with a five-speed sequential sportshift automatic transmission that allows gears to be shifted manually without a clutch and by using either the shift lever on the center console or with the Formula 1-style paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
Though it's based on a front-wheel-drive platform, the new RL will offer an innovative all-wheel-drive setup that Honda calls the Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive System (SH-AWD). The automaker claims it is the first and only all-wheel drive that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between front and rear wheels but also between the left and right wheels.

In keeping with its sportier, driver-oriented image, the RL comes with beefier brakes, 20-inch alloy wheels, Michelin high-performance tires and standard vehicle stability control.

While the TL broke new technological ground with its Bose sound system, the RL takes Honda techno capabilities to new level. The RL will offer real-time traffic reports with alternative routes. Provided as standard equipment, the AcuraLink Satellite-Based Communications System features XM NavTraffic, a collaboration between XM Satellite Radio and NAVTEQ, one of the world's leading providers of automotive navigation systems. Integrated into the DVD navigation system, the system gathers reports from police and transportation departments, emergency services, road sensors, cameras and airborne reports.

Other techie features include a keyless access system, which allows owners to lock and unlock doors, open the trunk and start the car without a key, along with adaptive headlights that swivel up to 20 degrees in either direction depending on the vehicle speed and steering wheel inputs to help the driver see around corners.

Pricing has not been announced for the upcoming RL, but Acura says it will come fully loaded for "under $50,000."
Old 07-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
As many have quoted, I too am NOT that excited about it. Just looks to American Honda Accordish to me. It is smaller than my 04 RL and not as classic. They are definitely targeting a younger crowd. Acura's marketing REALLY needs some help !
Old 07-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL.....you mean something like the 4MATIC badges on a $100,000 s500?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 AM
misanthropist

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
As many have quoted, I too am NOT that excited about it. Just looks to American Honda Accordish to me. It is smaller than my 04 RL and not as classic. They are definitely targeting a younger crowd. Acura's marketing REALLY needs some help !

The problem with this statement to me is that it always seems as if they target a younger crowd and end up with a 30++ crowd anyway. At least from seeing mostly 30-40+ year old women/men drving the CL/TL, respectively, and the fact that many of today's younger generations don't seem to place as high regard on the expensive german cars as the older generations (with comparable money) do (with the exclusion of the M and AMG which are significantly more expensive)

Keep in mind a general picture, that acura doesn't seem to want to tote v8's and 80-100,000 dollar price tags, whether thats right or wrong it seems like what they have done from the start and don't have a wildly varying outlook (read: vw). I think infiniti is really pushing the envelope in a positive direction, but they seem to be doing it on the fly... Lexus also seems to be building more and more expensive but I personally find their products to be more luxury oriented than driving oriented, give Acura some credit for developing high performance 6 cylinders that hang with just about anything thrown at them... and if their awd system delivers as promised there will no longer be the * next to any of their products for being fwd

If this is the step they are taking I am happy with it, as long as my next awd any hp coupe is in the works
Old 07-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Power of Dreams

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bl^5
Hopefully no wheel gap isn't due to the 4 people riding in the car.
I actually took the digital pics, and pretty much recall that each car had 4 passengers in each. Obviously, the effect on ride height is unknown, but if its similar to the new TL it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that Acura's mktg dept. needs help, but I disagree about the RL targeting younger crowds is a mistake.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by heyitsme
The front looks unique.

Unique as in... last generation Camry?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Simply,, if this thing looses 35% after 3 years, I will be buying one as a lease return. My car will have nearly 175k and I really like the idea of three cylinder cut off during crusing. LUX and high MPG looks good to me.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:13 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

The old RL was a bastard child of Acura, I'm glad to see a car pick back up the lusture that was the Legend. For me, I will be re-badging it with the JDM Legend moniker when I get one in a couple years.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Rod
Drifting

Pricing has not been announced for the upcoming RL, but Acura says it will come fully loaded for "under $50,000."
That's an excellent price point for this car, I'm sure it undercuts the entire competition by a significant amount when comparing similarly equipped models. It'll definitely be worth test driving if you're also looking at a 530 or E320.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and

Anyone say boring? I'm sure it's nice, but it's about as exciting looking as a blank piece of paper. Functional yes, exciting no...

Maybe it looks different in person?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Rod
That's an excellent price point for this car, I'm sure it undercuts the entire competition by a significant amount when comparing similarly equipped models. It'll definitely be worth test driving if you're also looking at a 530 or E320.
I am guessing it will be priced at 47K and at 49K with the GPS.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:59 PM
misanthropist

Originally Posted by gavriil
I am guessing it will be priced at 47K and at 49K with the GPS.

agreed.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I have a feeling when people see a Zaino'd NBP RL with dubs roll past they'll be doing this:

Old 07-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

The excitement comes from the SH-AWD. If its anything like whats been rumored, this will be one of the best handling sports sedan out there and in a class that includes the 5,M,A6,GS etc, thats saying a lot. It suffers from the generic Honda side view syndrome though. Bangle is right about one thing, flanks are all important when it comes to giving a car personality. Fortunately for Acura, the RL has a reasonable front and a decent back and those 20 inchers give it a respectable heft. For most people who view cars from the front or the back, the RL will do nicely. 300HP, off the wall handling (if thats the case) and a ~45-47k well-equipped price should make the case strong enough for 15-20k people a yr.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

They better address their WEAK transmission issues quick ! Prob. why they will not build a V-8, cause their transmissions can't handle the power. I had not one, but two products from HONDA with failed transmissions, the Accord Coupe V6 and the CL Type S. I'm not gonna be a ginea pig a third time around.............................$68 million in recalls is NOT small change and IS A BIG ISSUE THAT IS GOING TO HURT THEM BIG TIME !

So much for GLOBAL PLATFORMS HONDA !

You can only stretch a nickel till the buffalo shits for those who remember a buffalo nickel......
Old 07-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

The closer the RL gets to 50 large, the more sales it will lose to the M, GS, STS, A6 and others. Other than BMW and Mercedes (the kings of mid-size sports sedans), all other manufacturers will have an AWD V6 entry very well-equipped for ~50k. I know that 5k doesnt make much of a real difference to people buying 50k cars, but it does make a psychological difference. Lexus and Audi brands have more prestige than Acura. Cadillac has the heritage factor as well. Infiniti has momentum going in its favor and more substantial looks, not to mention that it will be the only V6 equipped car that can hold its own with the RL on a straight road nullyfying Acura's only real advantage. I think 5k or so is the 'cash benefit' that will make or break a number of sales cases for Acura. Another thing, at 50 large, you are now within a few k of competing with slightly less equipped V8 entries from a number of rivals, not an enviable position to be in.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Rod
Drifting

They better address their WEAK transmission issues quick!
I don't think that the current RL has any tranny issues like the CL/TL/MDX/etc. have. Did they outsource the current RL's tranny? That may be the only explanation.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:12 PM
__

Originally Posted by LegendC
The old RL was a bastard child of Acura, I'm glad to see a car pick back up the lusture that was the Legend. For me, I will be re-badging it with the JDM Legend moniker when I get one in a couple years.
I'm glad you plan out your ricey mods years in advance
Old 07-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Rod:

That is why I dumped the CL Type S and just bought the 2004 RL which is NOT in trouble as their other models are. The engine is the opposite direction with a large transmission block. In fact it's a SIMPLE 4 SPEED that from under neath looks like a rear wheel drive car. 8 years in production, 100% JAPAN MADE. They are bullet proof compared to the MDX, CL, TL ODOSSEY, ACCORD.........I did my home work, NO thanks to that new SH-AWD 6 speed RL coming.....I'm tired of being their ginnea pig ! Basically the current RL is from the LEGEND technology THAT HAPPENS TO WORK WELL !
Old 07-21-2004, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by bullseye007
The excitement comes from the SH-AWD. If its anything like whats been rumored, this will be one of the best handling sports sedan out there and in a class that includes the 5,M,A6,GS etc, thats saying a lot. It suffers from the generic Honda side view syndrome though. Bangle is right about one thing, flanks are all important when it comes to giving a car personality. Fortunately for Acura, the RL has a reasonable front and a decent back and those 20 inchers give it a respectable heft. For most people who view cars from the front or the back, the RL will do nicely. 300HP, off the wall handling (if thats the case) and a ~45-47k well-equipped price should make the case strong enough for 15-20k people a yr.
I understand this;
1. People in this price segment give a fuck about SH-AWD. The A6 has had AWD for YEARS and has never been a best seller and just recently getting kudos, ONLY in V-8 4.2 trim. People just DON'T CARE. Prestige comes into play, why do ya'll think 525s sell in droves?
2. Acura owners site VALUE as the main reason for purchase. At 50k, the value arguement is less used, as people are less picky with this price. They just buy what they want, which is the usual BMW or Benz.
3. Oh shit, Lexus AND Infiniti will be offering AWD in their GS 300 and M35 cars. Acura will offer more horses and active Nav but not sure this will convince buyers who simply want a nameplate paying $50,000.

It is quite possible the RL will handle greatly in magazines who love sporty cars. This does not= car sales. And at 50k, people simply rarely mod their cars.

Anyway you cut it, this RL will be ANOTHER great piece in Acura's new lineup.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

And at 50k, people simply rarely mod their cars.
Yea, you hardly ever see an M5 or M3 with Mods.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Actually, most M3's and M5's are not modded. They are very expensive and difficult to mod. They come out of the factory with plenty of performance
Old 07-22-2004, 01:20 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if TL costs 40K i'm sure people won't buy it. RL with the GPS should be under 45K.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Some of you like arguing just to argue. Why would you even go to the EXTREME of a M3 or M5. These are limited production cars, CLEARLY for people that want the best sport sedans for the money. Really.
M3s and M5s are rarely modded as cusdaddy stated. THEY ARE MODDED . They are modded 3 and 5 series cars from the factory.

Why are we comparing M3s and M5s to any RL, M45, GS 430, A6 anyway?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Team Owner

Some of you like arguing just to argue. Why would you even go to the EXTREME of a M3 or M5. These are limited production cars, CLEARLY for people that want the best sport sedans for the money. Really.
M3s and M5s are rarely modded as cusdaddy stated. THEY ARE MODDED . They are modded 3 and 5 series cars from the factory.

Why are we comparing M3s and M5s to any RL, M45, GS 430, A6 anyway?
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Actually, most M3's and M5's are not modded. They are very expensive and difficult to mod. They come out of the factory with plenty of performance
Well, I just said that because they cost over 50K and whenever I venture over to the BMW forums you always see people talking about suspension, wheel, audio & other mods.

Just like here. Most people you ask wouldn’t think people would be ripping out suspensions and adding superchargers to 30K+ Acura’s, but we have a ton of them here.

If/When Acura decides to release a TL or RL COUPE I will buy one and make some “improvements” myself.

Shawn S
Old 07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
The A6 isn't selling well because Audi's reliability is way down on the list compared to other Manufacturers in their segment.

Why buy an A6 that may or may not be a complete disaster when you can get a GS300 that will go for 200k miles?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Instructor

The rear end of the car is just way too bland. Nothing that says luxury or sporty. What are these designers thinking ? The new bimmers are not that nice looking but at least they have a design.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Instructor

The rear end of the car is just way too bland. Doesn't indicate luxury or sporty. What are the designers thinking when they do a redesign. The new BMWs are not good looking but at least there were some design thoughts involved.

I always liked the RL and I think the current generation looks good. The car has some presence to it as a flagship should have. The new one, I don't know.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by dacura
The rear end of the car is just way too bland. Doesn't indicate luxury or sporty. What are the designers thinking when they do a redesign. The new BMWs are not good looking but at least there were some design thoughts involved.

I always liked the RL and I think the current generation looks good. The car has some presence to it as a flagship should have. The new one, I don't know.
How can you say the new RL's rear end is too bland and then say that you like the current RL. The current RL is probably pictured under "bland" in the dictionary. I do agree that the new RL is nothing exciting in the looks department, but that's typical Honda/Acura...they're very conservative to appeal to the masses.

And as far as the thought going into some of BMW's new designs, the thoughts were probably, "I bet we can sell any crappy design as long as it has a BMW emblem on it." And look, they're right...just like almost any Honda will sell. And while Bangle may have pioneered the "trunk-lid from a different car" look with BMW, this RL has probably pulled it off the best so far.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Rod:

That is why I dumped the CL Type S and just bought the 2004 RL which is NOT in trouble as their other models are. The engine is the opposite direction with a large transmission block. In fact it's a SIMPLE 4 SPEED that from under neath looks like a rear wheel drive car. 8 years in production, 100% JAPAN MADE. They are bullet proof compared to the MDX, CL, TL ODOSSEY, ACCORD.........I did my home work, NO thanks to that new SH-AWD 6 speed RL coming.....I'm tired of being their ginnea pig ! Basically the current RL is from the LEGEND technology THAT HAPPENS TO WORK WELL !
How can you say "No Thanks" to the new RL with no evidence of reliability records? The car is not out yet.

Yes the rule of thumb is for first year, new-generation cars, to suffer concerning reliability, but you never know when referring to a specific model.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
True that.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News