Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
^ That.

The ZDX and TL are ill-proportioned. Not saying that with proper proportions, they will look stunningly good. But the proportions make things much worse....remember all that front overhang? That's one issue coming from bad proportions.
1 thing i have never understood is why someone hasnt reversed the trans layout on a FWD vehicle. I dont see why they couldnt design the trans to output in front of the motor instead of behind, thus shifting the wheels ahead of the motor, allowing the motor to sit further back, and giving it better weight/balance and allowing designers to shorten overhangs.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
That's an interesting question and I never really thought about that. I think most FWD cars nowadays have transversely mounted engine, with the tranny sticking out to the side instead of front or behind of the engine?

Anyway so I just googled a bit and found that what you described is called mid-engine, FWD layout, where the tranny sits in front of the engine. There's a short blurb about this layout here:
Front-engine, front-wheel drive layout | Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

It basically says this was actually the earliest arrangement for FWD cars and its main drawback is that there's not enough weight sitting on the front wheels for traction and handling. Citroen later found a solution to that by swapping the diff and tran around. They have since been using that layout in some models until the 80's.

Here's a picture:

Nowadays, FWD cars with a longitudinally mounted engine is really rare. I could only think of Audi and Subaru. For Subaru, most of their cars are AWD anyway, and we all know Audi also uses Quattro is all of its models. This rules out the possibility of having the tranny in front of the engine, unless you mount the engine so high up so the drive shaft can go underneath.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Manufacturers mostly went to transverse engines for better packaging, efficiency, cost, and safety. More interior room, fewer drivetrain losses and components, and easier to control when traction is lost.

Having a setup like that above is new to me. It looks horribly impractical, which is probably why it isn't popular today.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
and maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling it would make working on the engine all that much more difficult.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
and maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling it would make working on the engine all that much more difficult.
This was exactly what came to mind immediately. By pushing the engine back like that, it would make working on the engine VERY difficult and in a crash setting it would probably intrude on the cabin space. The other issue is that vibrations are going to be much harder to stop and NVH would be terrible. Though I can see some huge bonuses of doing that.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
The 2nd Gen Legend and 1G RL and Vigor/TL were like this right? I remember there was talk about the driveshaft going through the oil pan or something like that making it difficult to do some repairs.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
The 2nd Gen Legend and 1G RL and Vigor/TL were like this right? I remember there was talk about the driveshaft going through the oil pan or something like that making it difficult to do some repairs.
Yep, FWD longitudinal platform.

And my personal favorite, wasn't sold as an Acura for some strange reasons, the Honda Rafaga:

Old 03-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Thats great! Look at the attention to detail, looks like for better weight distribution, they put the battery in the back of the engine compartment like some actual RWD cars. Honda really cared about engineering back in those days.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

That's an interesting question and I never really thought about that. I think most FWD cars nowadays have transversely mounted engine, with the tranny sticking out to the side instead of front or behind of the engine?

Anyway so I just googled a bit and found that what you described is called mid-engine, FWD layout, where the tranny sits in front of the engine. There's a short blurb about this layout here:
Front-engine, front-wheel drive layout Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki Fandom powered by Wikia

It basically says this was actually the earliest arrangement for FWD cars and its main drawback is that there's not enough weight sitting on the front wheels for traction and handling. Citroen later found a solution to that by swapping the diff and tran around. They have since been using that layout in some models until the 80's.

Here's a picture:

Nowadays, FWD cars with a longitudinally mounted engine is really rare. I could only think of Audi and Subaru. For Subaru, most of their cars are AWD anyway, and we all know Audi also uses Quattro is all of its models. This rules out the possibility of having the tranny in front of the engine, unless you mount the engine so high up so the drive shaft can go underneath.
No, thats not the same or what i was referencing to. The trans always has stuck out to the side of the engine, then it gets transferred to the differential which has always sat behind the motor. (talking Transversely mounted engines) to which the axle/axles then pass behind the motor. Its not that they would be moving the trans to sit in front of the engine, or making the motor longitudinal, the trans itself wouldnt move 1 bit, The output of it where the differential sits would be the only thing that would have to move, from aft of the trans to the front of the trans to pass the engine on the front.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
Yep, FWD longitudinal platform.

And my personal favorite, wasn't sold as an Acura for some strange reasons, the Honda Rafaga:
Looks like an E36/Alfa/Evo VI hybrid, but looks great.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
My E46 Xi had the front CV axle go through the oil pan since the front diff was bolted to the side of the pan. It was a PITA to service.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,026 Likes on 2,504 Posts

Front-engine, front-wheel drive layout Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki Fandom powered by Wikia

Here's a picture:

That's an unusual setup for sure. The other kind of odd geabox is the Lambo Countach where the gearbox was in front of the V12 and the diff was at the back of the motor.in the oil sump A transmission output driveshaft went longitudinal through the bottom of the motor.

Originally Posted by Costco
Manufacturers mostly went to transverse engines for better packaging, efficiency, cost, and safety. More interior room, fewer drivetrain losses and components, and easier to control when traction is lost.

Having a setup like that above is new to me. It looks horribly impractical, which is probably why it isn't popular today.
+1, yep transverse engines work out pretty well for all the reasons you cited.

Originally Posted by jwong77
Yes, the 2G Legend and 1G RL had the front diff that was next to the oil pan and the one driveshaft went through the oil pan.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
No, thats not the same or what i was referencing to. The trans always has stuck out to the side of the engine, then it gets transferred to the differential which has always sat behind the motor. (talking Transversely mounted engines) to which the axle/axles then pass behind the motor. Its not that they would be moving the trans to sit in front of the engine, or making the motor longitudinal, the trans itself wouldnt move 1 bit, The output of it where the differential sits would be the only thing that would have to move, from aft of the trans to the front of the trans to pass the engine on the front.
I've occasionally wondered the same thing, why the halfshafts always go behind the block instead of in front where the engine would shift back some for more crash absorption in front and better weight distribution.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-20-2017 at 11:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
Costco (03-20-2017), fsttyms1 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

I've occasionally wondered the same thing, why the halfshafts always go behind the block instead of in front where the engine would shift back some for more crash absorption in front and better weight distribution.
Ive wondered that for about as long as i have been tinkering/modding FWD vehicles, especially when the large front overhang/heavy nose fwd discussions come up.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Even Legend2TL doesn't know????
Old 08-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Exclamation MMC Reveal Video

GLOBAL REVEAL: 2018 Acura RLX
Old 08-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Looks like they put the TLX drawings into a copy machine and hit the enlarge button.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:30 AM
MSZ
Lola

Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Release

Acura Reveals Striking New Design for 2018 Acura RLX; Debut Set for Monterey Automotive Week - Acura News

Acura Reveals Striking New Design for 2018 Acura RLX; Debut Set for Monterey Automotive Week

Aug 10, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • 2018 Acura RLX adopts new Acura design direction including signature diamond pentagon grille
  • Supercar inspired 377-horsepower RLX Sport Hybrid with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ has been further optimized based on NSX learnings
  • Standard AcuraWatch™ enhanced with Traffic Jam Assist, an Acura first
Acura today unveiled a redesigned 2018 Acura RLX reflecting the brand’s new Precision Crafted Performance design direction to create a more substantial presence for Acura’s top-of-the-line luxury sports sedan. The 2018 Acura RLX will make its public debut during the prestigious Monterey Automotive Week, August 15-19 on the Monterey peninsula. The new RLX incorporates design cues to showcase its performance capabilities, including Acura’s signature diamond pentagon grille, a more sculpted hood, new wheel designs, bold, newly designed LED taillights, dual exhaust finishers and a gloss black rear diffuser.

The 2018 Acura RLX is the most sophisticated and best performing Acura sedan ever, with Sport Hybrid Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD™) technology, shared with the NSX supercar, that creates a powerful and precise driving experience unmatched in the segment. Acura has simplified the RLX trim structure to make the brand’s innovative Sport Hybrid technology more desirable and accessible streamlining the offering to 2 well-equipped variants. The new 2018 Acura RLX will go on sale in November.

The 377 total system horsepowersup1 RLX Sport Hybrid seamlessly integrates a direct-injected V-6 with 3 electric motors and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ for instant acceleration, precise handling, outstanding all-weather performance and excellent fuel economy. Based on developments from the NSX, the RLX Sport Hybrid powertrain and dynamic handling has been further optimized.

The 310-horsepower RLX with Precision All-Wheel Steer™ is now mated to a new 10-speed Automatic Transmission (10AT) delivering a more refined driving experience, as well as improved acceleration and passing times.

“This redesign of the 2018 Acura RLX is transformational, creating road presence and styling that better reflect underlying performance capabilities of the vehicle,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president & general manager.

Standard features on the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid include premium Krell Audio System, Surround View Camera, parking sensors, LED fog lights, remote engine start, ventilated and heated front seats, heated rear seats and steering wheel and more.
The 2018 RLX features the unique AcuraWatch™ suite of technologies, as standard equipment, and has been enhanced with the addition of Traffic Jam Assist, a 1st for Acura. Working in conjunction with Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow, Traffic Jam Assist helps reduce driver stress in highly congested traffic situations by helping keep the vehicle in its lane and a set interval behind a car detected ahead.

AcuraWatch™ also includes Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with automatic emergency braking, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). AcuraWatch uses a millimeter wave radar and monocular camera sensing technology to detect other vehicles as well as lane markings and can help intervene to prevent or mitigate the severity of a collision.

The 2018 Acura RLX is complimented by 3 new exterior colors including 2 premium paint offerings – Brilliant Red Metallic and Majestic Black Pearl. Inside, the 2018 Acura RLX receives upgraded materials and touchpoints including a completely redesigned seat featuring high-contrast piping and stitching, as well as a new Espresso interior option, which adds sophistication to an interior with class-leading space and comfort.

The 2018 Acura RLX will be featured at multiple events throughout Monterey Automotive Week including the Carmel-By-The Sea Concours on the Avenue on Tuesday, August 15 and The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering, on Friday, August 18.

For More Information
Consumer information is available at
http://www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit
Facebook Post
. Additional media information including pricing, features and high-resolution photography is available at http://www.acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, an original approach to technology and design that creates a new driving experience.
The Acura lineup features 6 adistinctive models – the RLX premium, luxury sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, and the 7-passenger Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling 3-row luxury SUV. Last spring, Acura launched its next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as a new and pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
wait, is that the Kia Stinger!?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
The new seats look nice, but the dual screen layout/design is looking VERY dated. Not a fan of the headlights or taillights, they look bloated and sharp for the most part but then they have rounded edges and it just doesn't mix for me. Looks very meh to me, kind of reminds me of a Kia.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
@

Originally Posted by Jon Ikeda
".... then we introduced the TLX which included not only the diamond pentagon grille, but an exciting new A-Spec that signals Acura's commitment to luxury performance sedans."
But A-Spec doesn't offer any real performance over non-A-Specs trims.

As for updated RLX, it does look better than the current design, but not by much. Not going to change sales direction. Might slow decline or even stabilize sales though.

@

Originally Posted by Jonathan Rivers
The team worked really hard
And this was the best they could come up with?

Last edited by AZuser; 08-10-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM
_

Side profile looks good. Now just get rid of all the chrome trim along the lower front, side and rear.

And they really need to rework that interior. Simplify it like how the 10th gen Accord's is.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
377hp

If they really wanted to make a statement they need to get that number in the 400s for their top sedan.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:05 PM
_

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
377hp

If they really wanted to make a statement they need to get that number in the 400s for their top sedan.
Or just market it as being as fast as a BMW M5
Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by AZuser
Or just market it as being as fast as a BMW M5
"Introducing the 2018 Acura RLX, the most powerful Acura sedan ever made, faster than the BMW E34 M5 in a straight line."
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Old 08-10-2017, 06:46 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Is it just me, or does the Honda Accord look more upscale than this...?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:55 PM
_

Originally Posted by BurnabyTSX
Is it just me, or does the Honda Accord look more upscale than this...?
Interior design/layout? Definitely.

Exterior? Need to see the new Accord in person.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
The center console still looks pregnant. Too little too late. That Navi map stil looks like it s from early 2000.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

​​​​​​​
Modern version of
​​​​​​​
\
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
"Introducing the 2018 Acura RLX, the most powerful Acura sedan ever made, faster than the BMW E34 M5 in a straight line."
they said there are improvemetns to the hybrid system based on NSX experiance.
new MDX hybrid 0-130mph in 32 second. pulling 0.87G. You wont find any other 7 seater SUV with similar high speed performance and handling from skinny 245 size all season tires on 20 inch rim with super quiet refinement.

TLX already beating in quietness and comfort BMW 3 and Audi A4.

Nothing prevents RLX to beat MDX in handling and performrnace with superior comfort and refinement over the top of TLX. There is no doubt about Made in Japan quality and reliability for those who understand. This will permanently shut Yeh and his hyundai Genesis / Germanic crap that she was spouting every month.

BMW 540Xdrive only 0.88G from 19inch rim. BMW put limiter under 130mph. they dont want to hide the high speed aerodynamics inefficiency. Civic Type-R 0-140 mph in 28.5 seconds and its hatch not even a aerodynamic Coupe.
fhttp://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-bmw-540i-xdrive-test-review

2018 Acura RLX Photos and Info | News | Car and Driver
The company claims the new transmission will improve the RLX’s acceleration; for reference, a front-drive RLX with a six-speed automatic ran from zero to 60 mph in 5.8 secondsin our testing.VIEW PHOTOS
Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
The center console still looks pregnant. Too little too late. That Navi map stil looks like it s from early 2000.
there is newer infotainment system in development.. It still has Krell Audio system as standard. Honda is rich firm. they can provide options as standard.

Acura Precision Cockpit Previews Acura's Future Interface ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
We spent a fair amount of time poking around the system with the folks who designed it and found that it works fairly intuitively, certainly more effectively than Lexus’s clumsy Remote Touch interface. Other trick features of the Precision Cockpit include graphics and colors that change according to the chosen drive mode—white for Snow, blue for Comfort, Red for Sport, and Orange for Sport Plus. The display ahead of the driver uses what Acura calls a 3D engine to support a dynamic layout that shows other cars, objects, pedestrians, cyclists, and more. When autonomous driving becomes a thing in Acuras, it will be able to recognize other vehicles being driven in autonomous modes via vehicle-to-vehicle communications.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
they said there are improvemetns to the hybrid system based on NSX experiance.
new MDX hybrid 0-130mph in 32 second. pulling 0.87G. You wont find any other 7 seater SUV with similar high speed performance and handling from skinny 245 size all season tires on 20 inch rim with super quiet refinement.

TLX already beating in quietness and comfort BMW 3 and Audi A4.

Nothing prevents RLX to beat MDX in handling and performrnace with superior comfort and refinement over the top of TLX. There is no doubt about Made in Japan quality and reliability for those who understand. This will permanently shut Yeh and his hyundai Genesis / Germanic crap that she was spouting every month.

BMW 540Xdrive only 0.88G from 19inch rim. BMW put limiter under 130mph. they dont want to hide the high speed aerodynamics inefficiency. Civic Type-R 0-140 mph in 28.5 seconds and its hatch not even a aerodynamic Coupe.
fhttp://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-bmw-540i-xdrive-test-review

2018 Acura RLX Photos and Info News Car and Driver
The company claims the new transmission will improve the RLX’s acceleration; for reference, a front-drive RLX with a six-speed automatic ran from zero to 60 mph in 5.8 secondsin our testing.VIEW PHOTOS
Stop bring rims and tires into conversation. You are not allowed to use word, rims, wheels, tires, upgraded,superior and aero anymore. I wish i was a MOD
Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Team Owner

there is newer infotainment system in development.. It still has Krell Audio system as standard. Honda is rich firm. they can provide options as standard.

Acura Precision Cockpit Previews Acura's Future Interface ? News ? Car and Driver Car and Driver Blog
We spent a fair amount of time poking around the system with the folks who designed it and found that it works fairly intuitively, certainly more effectively than Lexus’s clumsy Remote Touch interface. Other trick features of the Precision Cockpit include graphics and colors that change according to the chosen drive mode—white for Snow, blue for Comfort, Red for Sport, and Orange for Sport Plus. The display ahead of the driver uses what Acura calls a 3D engine to support a dynamic layout that shows other cars, objects, pedestrians, cyclists, and more. When autonomous driving becomes a thing in Acuras, it will be able to recognize other vehicles being driven in autonomous modes via vehicle-to-vehicle communications.
In development means nothing. By the time it is released, all cars will be driving by themselves.
Your argument makes 0 sense... Hey all the appliances are "standard" if you buy the house. Instead of $500,000, i now charge you $600,000 but hey standard right?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

All cars will not have same quality and sophistication. Honda i always ahead of others in real implementation of technology.

i havent heared they are charging more for this than current RLX. it will minor adjustments. this thing is coming practically fuly loaded with all the safety features. navigation is good enough consider it is secondary use than music system. people use music daily. while navigation is mostly out of town.

the closest you can come is Lexus GS F in red mica but that car has no road presence. RLX Is tall and wider stance. NO one is going to mistake RLX for TLX. it is such design. BMW/MB will have to give bargain basement leases on 5 series and E class.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Road presence and styling to match performance. if they removed the speed limitor and put perofrmance tires and rims. it will go all the way to 200mph.

Acura Reveals Striking New Design for 2018 Acura RLX; Debut Set for Monterey Automotive Week - Honda News
This redesign of the 2018 Acura RLX is transformational, creating road presence and styling that better reflect underlying performance capabilities of the vehicle,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president & general manager.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Acura Reveals Striking New Design for 2018 Acura RLX; Debut Set for Monterey Automotive Week - Honda News
This redesign of the 2018 Acura RLX is transformational, creating road presence and styling that better reflect underlying performance capabilities of the vehicle,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president & general manager.
The RLX is transformed, all right... into a Buick.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:46 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
I give up on this brand. The front end is so ugly.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News