Acura: RLX News

Old 04-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jts1207
My only worry is that Honda is going to price this thing in the mid $50's. I cant see them bringing it down to low to mid $40's
I see where you're coming from, but IMHO, if they do price this thing in the mid $50's, they'll shoot themselves in the foot (again). And as a result, the new RL will continue to sell poorly.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally posted by titan
I see where you're coming from, but IMHO, if they do price this thing in the mid $50's, they'll shoot themselves in the foot (again). And as a result, the new RL will continue to sell poorly.
Anyone have dimensions v. the LS430?

If this car truly has a 300hp V6 and a 100hp IMA motor, then how is this car not worth $50k?

Consider the fact that a 2004 525i and MB E320 both are around $50k base, doesn't that make the RL that much more of a steal if it's a hybrid?

I understand everyone's points, but I think that if you look at its price competition, the RL is H-O-T-T hot
Old 04-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by charliemike
Anyone have dimensions v. the LS430?

If this car truly has a 300hp V6 and a 100hp IMA motor, then how is this car not worth $50k?

Consider the fact that a 2004 525i and MB E320 both are around $50k base, doesn't that make the RL that much more of a steal if it's a hybrid?

I understand everyone's points, but I think that if you look at its price competition, the RL is H-O-T-T hot
Where are you getting IMA? Everything I've read about the new RL is it has 300hp and SH-AWD...but not IMA.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Certified Lurker

IT does look much better in person then the pics, trust me. It dosnt have IMA for whoever it was that just said that. And it is much better looking then the GS in my opinion, i dont like the gs at all...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

The RL isn't getting IMA, just 300hp V6. Check out the specs on page 11 of this post. This car will be pitted against the M35/GS350/E350/530i/A6 etc, of which all engines will be V6s. The RL will not have 400hp and won't be competing with the LS.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

The RL isn't getting IMA, just 300hp V6. Check out the specs on page 11 of this post. This car will be pitted against the M35/GS350/E350/530i/A6 etc, of which all engines will be V6s. The RL will not have 400hp and won't be competing with the LS.
I must have missed that part. My apologies ... last I had read in the thread it was getting AWD from a V6 engine and electric motor.

I know it doesn't compete against the LS but I was trying to figure out how big it was ...
Old 04-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

I must have missed that part. My apologies ... last I had read in the thread it was getting AWD from a V6 engine and electric motor.

I know it doesn't compete against the LS but I was trying to figure out how big it was ...
No problem. It's the concept, that got the V6 engine and electric motor. Hopefully, they'll bring it into production one day.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Certified Lurker

No problem. It's the concept, that got the V6 engine and electric motor. Hopefully, they'll bring it into production one day.
There was never any concept that had the IMA motor in it that was in anyway related to the RL.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:48 PM

Length wise, it's as long as the last gen TL.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am sure we'll see a hybrid RL soon though. One to 1.5 years from now.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by gavriil
I am sure we'll see a hybrid RL soon though. One to 1.5 years from now.
When the hybrid Accord was announced, I thought I remember them saying there will be another model debuting this year with hybrid technology. The wording of the whole thing made it sound like a new model instead of just adding it to an existing model as they are doing with the Accord. So my thought was that it was hitting the new RL. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder what model is coming out with IMA...and why they would be so hush hush about it. I mean, isn't the RL the only car due out this year? Is the SUT coming out this year?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Yes, a smaller version of the MDX with Hybrid tech is coming this year.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Fabvsix
Yes, a smaller version of the MDX with Hybrid tech is coming this year.
I thought that was supposed to be an 06 model.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by AcuraFan
When the hybrid Accord was announced, I thought I remember them saying there will be another model debuting this year with hybrid technology. The wording of the whole thing made it sound like a new model instead of just adding it to an existing model as they are doing with the Accord. So my thought was that it was hitting the new RL. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder what model is coming out with IMA...and why they would be so hush hush about it. I mean, isn't the RL the only car due out this year? Is the SUT coming out this year?
Are you sure you're not confusing the statement with the Displacement On Demand? They said, one more model would be announced having DOD this year and that is the Odyssey.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure you're not confusing the statement with the Displacement On Demand? They said, one more model would be announced having DOD this year and that is the Odyssey.
I thought I remember them talking about IMA...but you may be right.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Then I was wrong too. I thought IMA was mentioned... DOD would be a great feature on the RL, though.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RL tid bits.....handling better than Skyline GTR, M5?????

www.vtec.net

one can only hope!

05.10 Bestcar update on '05 RL/Legend
Date: April 25, 2004 12:50
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: BestCar Magazine (5.10 issue)
Credibility Rating: 8

While visiting Japan last week I picked up the latest issue of BestCar Magazine. Inside this issue is a multi-page article regarding the new RL. The article is currently being translated, but so far there are some very interesting points.

The author of the article says he has been tracking the development of the RL/Legend since a development prototype was tested at the Nürburgring last year. According to the article, an RL/Legend test mule with a prototype SH-AWD sytstem was tested at the 'Ring against a Skyline GT-R. The article states that the RL's lap times consistently bested the GT-R. The author makes the statement that the SH-AWD's performance dynamics are so innovative that he's convinced current systems from Nissan's GT-R, Subaru's Imprezza (WRX), and Mitsubishi's Lancer - leaders in AWD technology, are a step behind. He goes further and suggests that SH-AWD's performance handling dynamics are so groundbreaking that it threatens to surpass BMW's M5 class (hmmm - we shall see).

The next part of the article discusses the RL's styling and how within the Japanese press there had been many speculative drawings and CG graphics of the car's expected design. Upon the release of the RL concept sketches by Honda on April 1st, the reaction was said to be generally quite favorable. The consensus was this new RL/Legend design was very appealing, innovative and sporty. The article includes several CG (computer generated) images of the car, showing front and rear views, and they are quite accurate (this particular issue of the magazine hit newstands only 3 days after the official photos of the Legend/RL were released by Honda/Acura).

The RL's motor is discussed briefly, and it mentions that it will be dubbed "S-VTEC". It's unclear whether the "S" represents "Super" or "Sports". The writer predicts that the motor will be the blueprint for the powrplant of the next NSX. As we've heard from the NYIAS, there is extensive use of carbon and aluminum components in the engine, drivetrain and aluminum die-cast panels/parts in the body structure with the purpose of minimizing weight, while maintaining structural strength. Definitely with this new RL/Legend, the focus is on sports performance - it is evident in the powertrain and the bolder design of the car.

The (speculated) dimensions and specs listed are as follows*:
Length: 196.5 in. (193.5 in.)
Width: 72.8 in. (72.6 in.)
Height: 57.0 in. (57.1 in.)
Wheelbase: 114.3 in. (110.2 in.)
Weight: 3,748
Engine (mentioned above): J35A S-VTEC
Displacement: 3.5L
Horsepower: 280 @6200 rpm, 300 (for North America)
Torque: 260lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
Price: $40K USD
Old 04-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Instructor

the development of the RL/Legend since a development prototype was tested at the Nürburgring last year. According to the article, an RL/Legend test mule with a prototype SH-AWD sytstem was tested at the 'Ring against a Skyline GT-R. The article states that the RL's lap times consistently bested the GT-R.
What where the lap times?

If this car according to those at TOV is aimed at older people, and the cars purpose is to get from A to B in comfort, then this SH-AWD system is pretty pointless. Especially if the drivers aren't going to push the car to the point where the SH-AWD becomes effective. What will be an interesting comparo will be:

RL with SH-AWD vs. M45 with ATTESA-ETS + Active Suspension.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Well my first thought is this is rediculous since that would put it at the nsx level. And please Acura, no super vtec with super awd, too much super :ghey: for one car.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

A number of things come to mind in reading the above:

1. I wonder if the tires and suspension the Legend was "using" are going to be the same as the USA Spec RL.

2. 260 pounds of torque. I was under the impression that Acura has not made any official announcements about torque for that engine.

3. 260 pounds from 3.5 liters at 5000 rpm is not going to be much at all for a car with AWD. It wont "feel like a 300HP car" in general.

4. I am wondering which GTR exactly cos there are many versions available in Japan (or at least there were many available).

5. The M5 comment is not surprising to me. The RL is of the size of an ex 5 series car and the refernece for the M5 is that of the previous-gen. 5-series car. The one with the 394 HP. Also, the GTR is outhandled by very few sedans on the planet, available or not for the USA market. So if the GTR was consistently beaten, I dont dout the M5 will have a hard time to keep up, even with 100HP more than the RL.

Bottom line, I do believe that this SH AWD system will be much praised by the press here. Though I am sure they will find a number of things wrong with the road-feel of the car in general to call it "close but no cigar" when compared to the BMW cars and even possible to the Infiniti cars. For example, I can hear them talk about weight distribution, etc.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

5. The M5 comment is not surprising to me. The RL is of the size of an ex 5 series car and the refernece for the M5 is that of the previous-gen. 5-series car. The one with the 394 HP. Also, the GTR is outhandled by very few sedans on the planet, available or not for the USA market. So if the GTR was consistently beaten, I dont dout the M5 will have a hard time to keep up, even with 100HP more than the RL.

Bottom line, I do believe that this SH AWD system will be much praised by the press here. Though I am sure they will find a number of things wrong with the road-feel of the car in general to call it "close but no cigar" when compared to the BMW cars and even possible to the Infiniti cars. For example, I can hear them talk about weight distribution, etc.
1. AWD around a track like Nring will own any RWD car.

2. Nobody ever complains about the weight distro of Audi's!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by heyitsme
Well my first thought is this is rediculous since that would put it at the nsx level. And please Acura, no super vtec with super awd, too much super :ghey: for one car.

can we ever count on anything except a negative comment about anything that acura does ffrom you??????

New RL already has more HP will undoubtly have more trq. That beats te NSX so why is it that this is out of the realm of possibilities?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata
1. AWD around a track like Nring will own any RWD car.

2. Nobody ever complains about the weight distro of Audi's!!!!!!
1. Why?

2. Tell me about it.

Other things they will complain about: steering feel and suspension setup overall.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Habiib
What where the lap times?

If this car according to those at TOV is aimed at older people, and the cars purpose is to get from A to B in comfort, then this SH-AWD system is pretty pointless. Especially if the drivers aren't going to push the car to the point where the SH-AWD becomes effective. What will be an interesting comparo will be:

RL with SH-AWD vs. M45 with ATTESA-ETS + Active Suspension.

Product isn't aimed at the crowd driving ls430s etc., They are targeting the 5 seires, E series, GS etc.,
Old 04-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

1. Why?

2. Tell me about it.

Other things they will complain about: steering feel and suspension setup overall.

1. let me rephrase. Proper AWD setup. Because of the track setup and the transitions you'd need to make.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:47 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Brochures for the new RL are out @ your local Acura Dealership is has all the specs of the car on it also...loooks really hott and has some of the features the new TL has like the bluetooth technology linking with your cell phone and etc..
Old 04-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by VeeralS05
Brochures for the new RL are out @ your local Acura Dealership is has all the specs of the car on it also...loooks really hott and has some of the features the new TL has like the bluetooth technology linking with your cell phone and etc..
What's the torque figures in the brochure?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Video: Acura RL unveiling

Source: TOV
Old 04-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Safety Car

can we ever count on anything except a negative comment about anything that acura does ffrom you??????

New RL already has more HP will undoubtly have more trq. That beats te NSX so why is it that this is out of the realm of possibilities?
Why would I say something positive about something so far out of left field. No that doesn't beat the nsx because of the weight difference, plus ~500lbs heavier for the turns. In the best motoring vids the r34 GTR comes in ahead of the szero nsx but a little behind of the nsxr. Meanwhile we have a luxury car that needs a very smooth suspension to satisfy the market, but somehow has a more race inspired suspension than an nsx. I think for this to be true, the RL handling would have to be beyond the nsxR's handling capabilities to make up for the power weakness and weight difference(nimbleness) in the turns.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

1. let me rephrase. Proper AWD setup. Because of the track setup and the transitions you'd need to make.
Not necessarily true at all. AWD adds weight to a vehicle. A well balanced and driven RWD car can compete just as well or better.

What about the Ferrari Enzo, Carrera GT, or even the Z06, Ford GT or NSX? They are all RWD and are basically faster than any AWD cars around the track.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by cusdaddy
Not necessarily true at all. AWD adds weight to a vehicle. A well balanced and driven RWD car can compete just as well or better.

What about the Ferrari Enzo, Carrera GT, or even the Z06, Ford GT or NSX? They are all RWD and are basically faster than any AWD cars around the track.

1. tech setup of AWD on high performance vehical is never that much of a negative.

2. What about them?? Faster around what track?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

So you people would take a RWD M3 over, Skyline GTR ATTESA-ETS????
Old 04-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by heyitsme
Why would I say something positive about something so far out of left field. No that doesn't beat the nsx because of the weight difference, plus ~500lbs heavier for the turns. In the best motoring vids the r34 GTR comes in ahead of the szero nsx but a little behind of the nsxr. Meanwhile we have a luxury car that needs a very smooth suspension to satisfy the market, but somehow has a more race inspired suspension than an nsx. I think for this to be true, the RL handling would have to be beyond the nsxR's handling capabilities to make up for the power weakness and weight difference(nimbleness) in the turns.
A couple of things:

-So new RL would have More trq and more HP and a better drive train than the NSX.

- electronic AWD setup with active diffs can overcome weight penalties that would cause overload of tires and thus understeer. Audi RS6 is a TANK with very poor weight distro yet seems to perform VERY VERY well
Old 04-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cusdaddy
Not necessarily true....
That was my first thought. AWD might help you on the N-ring though there are a ton of other variables that will affect the outcome.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Not sure, though to run on the N-ring, I would certainly take a RWD M3 than a...hypothetical...AWD M3. That's a better comaprison now.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

I'll take the Skyline any day. For one thing, it's a cooler car, period. I don't know... something tells me a Skyline GTR would drive circles around an M3. That'd be an interested comparo.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:29 AM

No one is going to buy the RL and take it to the track or race it, not sure why it's at the "ring".

I'd take the GT-R anyday over the M3, no questions.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

The GT-R got beat by a busload of ugly sticks.

It's probably the superior car, but I like the M3's aesthetics more.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
No one is going to buy the RL and take it to the track or race it, not sure why it's at the "ring".

I'd take the GT-R anyday over the M3, no questions.
Why not?

The RL is targetting the GS, plenty of people have raced GS's. I wouldnt do it. But some do.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

they took it to the ring to shut people up like 1seiclex or any other magazine editor or people who complain about the previous cars handling abilities.

I just hear some madd hating going on here.

just like how lambos, aston martins or any other exotic can do super speeds and great handling not all buyers test the cars limits, just 'knowing' it can do it is good enough. The RL will most likely be a cruiser car for most of its target buyers but for the few enthuisast like us who like sporty cars will appreciate it and test the cars limits. Why do you think people buy a 540 vs a 530 or a 525 or gs430 vs gs300 when they have the money?

Just like in a honda accord why put 240hp when most people only drive it to commute from point a to point b. why sell audi's awd where its not snowing or have bad weather?

the gt-r and m3 is in a different class than the RL. what's impressive is that the big ass sedan leaped PAST its class and out handled a sports car (gt-r) which is very impressive. they did not mean to compare a 4 dr sedan against a legendary sports car.

some might say why get a m3 when u can get a cheaper faster car z06?

the bottom line is this will crush the competition for awhile and there will be plenty of haters/doubters but the numbers will not lie. I'm just counting the days till they throw this in every single car honda/acura sells like how subi's put awd on all cars, audi's have quattro option on most cars.

If they did a 1/4 mile test on a RL you'd prob complain too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News