Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Front looks decent, I guess. Rear looks horrible. And seriously, you now have "P-AWS" on your rear? Interior looks good. Will it be worth the price, though? Who knows. I'll reserve judgment until I can see it in person and we find out what the performance and early reviews are like.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Exterior styling is .... mutant. It looks they morphed a Lexus, a Chevy, a 4G TL, and a BMW into that shape. Mutant... I don't know what else to call it. The front looks like it has hope - I actually like the headlights, but then I get to the rear and don't know what to think. And then I have "PAW-S" on my ass now. I do like the interior.

The exterior makes me "PAW-S" and doubt wanting to buy it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet Acura will over price it right out of competition
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
@ P-AWS

that interior is gorgeous in that greyish white color combo, although in think in that black from the China pics it looks pretty cheap.

Sad to say, it still looks very much like a bigger Accord, not even a bigger TL, which would've at least been better for the brand.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Exterior styling is .... mutant. It looks they morphed a Lexus, a Chevy, a 4G TL, and a BMW into that shape. Mutant... I don't know what else to call it. The front looks like it has hope - I actually like the headlights, but then I get to the rear and don't know what to think. And then I have "PAW-S" on my ass now. I do like the interior.

The exterior makes me "PAW-S" and doubt wanting to buy it.
That sort of sounds like how Hyundai used to do their styling, mimicking pieces of other competitors cars into a hodgepodge of different design ideas.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Enjoy!

Last edited by Domm; 11-28-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
The RLX's styling is a tad bland but not as bad as the outgoing RL. If anything I'm waiting to see what Mugen does with the RLX, the last RL turned into a beauty with their work!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Those wheels totally ruin the car. Why can't Acura ever get wheels right?

Now this is what I'm talking about. Do it, Acura!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
More pics

Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When the concept first debuted and everyone thought it would be competing against the LS, S Class, 7 Series, etc I thought the bland styling wouldn't be a bad thing since none of those cars are particularly wild in the looks department save for the Lexus.

But to know it will be in the same class as the A6, E, 5, GS, etc it may be wise for Acura to design some sportier bumpers for accessory options to please the 35 year old dads who want a little more flavor.

The basic design isn't bad. Nice roofline and everyone be thankful it has decently reigned in overhangs.

But where the hell is the panoramic sunroof? I wouldn't care if it ran .1 second slower if it could have a glass roof.

Inside is nice. Although models without navigation with look like an afterthought with that useless hump on the dash.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
is out, so the

And no mention but did it lose the AFS? Do any of those spider eyes swivel? No use in having 27 eyes if you can't atleast look around with a few.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM
is out, so the

And tri-zone climate control? Where are the rear controls?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen-
And tri-zone climate control? Where are the rear controls?
Middle armrest
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Anyone who doesn't appreciate the technology behind this car is either a brand whore or has a vagina. It is true the looks are generic but it's easily comparable to the E & GS at least. I would like to see some nicer wheels available as an option. The dumpy ones shown are from the current RL but contain Helmholz resonators to quell road noise.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^ The tech is great, but it just reminds me of a dolled up larger Accord.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
You say it like it's a bad thing. Thats what the Legends have always been, 'dolled-up larger Accords'
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
You say it like it's a bad thing. Thats what the Legends have always been, 'dolled-up larger Accords'
I think it might've been the other way around...the Accord aspired to look like the Legend, as Honda wanted Honda buyers to aspire to Acuras when fortune came their way. Aside from the jewel LED headlights, I think the Accord actually looks better than the RL, especially the taillights.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Man, I really want to like it. But that part of my brain that'll choose a sexy-looking girl with a little bit more maintenance over the normal-looking take-home-to-mom type takes over when I look at cars. Hopefully this take-home-to-mom type enjoys a little fun and has a little bit of a wild side, despite the looks....
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
No exhaust tips? The ILX doesn't have exposed rear exhaust and I don't see them on this care either. New trend for Acura?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
those are some shit-tastic OEM wheels
Old 11-29-2012, 12:53 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The market is completely different now. Acura had what two models initially? Lexus was identical.

There's just nothing to really set this car apart from the plethora of other 50-60k luxury sedans. Maybe it'll sell, maybe it won't. From the looks of it Acura can push a nearly 50k SUV, but a sedan in that price range it can't move.

I liked the RL a lot when it first arrived. Seemed like a smart "Acura" take on the mid-size players of the time, but still not a true "flagship."

Once again, the RLX is not a true flagship as per their luxury peers. Hyundai can do it and move these cars with a non-luxury name plate.

So I'll leave it at that. Where I want Acura to be and where their management thinks they should be are polar opposites. That's why I left the brand, but I've been such a fan for almost two decades I find myself taking ownership and being highly critical because I know they can do better, they have in the past. I'd hope to return to them some day, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm Lt. Dan and Acura is my Forrest Gump.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The market is completely different now. Acura had what two models initially? Lexus was identical.

There's just nothing to really set this car apart from the plethora of other 50-60k luxury sedans. Maybe it'll sell, maybe it won't. From the looks of it Acura can push a nearly 50k SUV, but a sedan in that price range it can't move.

I liked the RL a lot when it first arrived. Seemed like a smart "Acura" take on the mid-size players of the time, but still not a true "flagship."

Once again, the RLX is not a true flagship as per their luxury peers. Hyundai can do it and move these cars with a non-luxury name plate.

So I'll leave it at that. Where I want Acura to be and where their management thinks they should be are polar opposites. That's why I left the brand, but I've been such a fan for almost two decades I find myself taking ownership and being highly critical because I know they can do better, they have in the past. I'd hope to return to them some day, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm Lt. Dan and Acura is my Forrest Gump.
I think your definition of flagship is misunderstood. Each brand has their own unique and individual flagship. For Acura, it's the RLX, for BMW, it's the 7-series. Just because two different brands have a flagship, their products don't necessarily have to align with one another. The RLX is the flagship of the Acura brand, and it's as true of a flagship for the brand than anything else it has. I think what you might actually be referring to is that the RLX is not a true F-segment car, which it isn't, and never were we made to believe it was.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Remember that the RLX is the flagship sedan for a Tier-2 luxury brand - Acura.

Therefore, don't expect it to be comparable with those flagship sedans from the Tier-1 true-luxury auto makers.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
No exhaust tips? The ILX doesn't have exposed rear exhaust and I don't see them on this care either. New trend for Acura?

....neither does the 2G RDX. So,
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
The style "copying" between the two pretty much when back and forth.

Originally Posted by phile
I think it might've been the other way around...the Accord aspired to look like the Legend, as Honda wanted Honda buyers to aspire to Acuras when fortune came their way. Aside from the jewel LED headlights, I think the Accord actually looks better than the RL, especially the taillights.
The 1G Legend looked nearly identical to the 3G Accord, which debuted at about the same time.

The 5G Accord emulated the styling of the 2G Legend, the latter having already been in production for a couple of years.

Then of course the 3G RL held contours similar to the 7G Accord, which debuted a couple of model years prior.

ALL that said, styling on the RLX is not a particular issue IMHO.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Jalopnik

Acura just unveiled their new flagship sedan, the RLX, and there's 2 things you'll notice right away: it's kind of boring looking, but, damn, does it have a lot of headlights. Like 8 per side. Sure, they're small LED units and not the colossal sealed-beams of yore, but still, it's some pretty aggressive face-jewelry for what is otherwise a fairly elegant if restrained car. It sort of like if Helen Mirren smiled to reveal a massive, diamond-studded grille.

Aside from the looks, the RLX is packed with some very cutting-edge tech, and its clear that Honda is looking to reposition itself as a technological leader after a period of some indifference. For example, this car will be the 1st of theirs to feature direct-injection, which is becoming almost common among their competitors.

The RLX also has such advanced goodies as a hybrid version with 3 electric motors, 1 on the tranny (about 30 HP or so) and 1 for each rear wheel (about 27 HP per motor), making it an AWD car. Each of the rear wheel motors is independently controllable, which allows the hybrid RLX to use torque vectoring on the rear wheels to dramatically (the film promised me) improve handling and braking. The combo of the 3 motors and the 3.5 L V6 should come to about 370 HP and 30 combined MPG. Not bad!

There's a FWD, non hybrid version as well that just uses the V6 for about 310 HP, and gets 20 city/ 31 HWY/ 24 combined MPG. The FWD version also gets some rear-wheel wobble love as well, thanks to Acura's Precision All Wheel Steer system, which they name (and badge the car) as P-AWS.

P-AWS as a name sounds like some lost Disney movie from the early 80s about a cybernetic sheepdog that helps some kids save their grandma's house or some shit. I can almost picture the scene where the kids look deeply into the blinky LED eyes of an injured P-AWS and cry "P-AWS! Please don't die! We love you!" Spolier alert: P-AWS is okay!

Oh, right, back to the real P-AWS. Honda is leveraging their decades of playing with 4-wheel steering systems in Preludes and whatnot and now has what seems to be an effective system that controls toe-in and toe-out for each rear wheel. Also, under heavy braking, both rear wheels toe-in like a skier slowing down. Again, this seems like a very welcome bit of tech that could have real handling benefits.

The overall weight is down from the RL by about 275 lbs, thanks in part to aluminum fenders, hood, and door skins. So, if you're a locksmith with a magnetic door sign, I think we've just ruled out the RLX for you. Sorry.

The interior is quite nice on the RLX, as a flagship executive sedan should be, with very nice feeling materials all over the damn place. Even the inside door handles have a pleasing rubbery grip. There's 3 full-color LCD screens on the dash, 2 huge stacked ones and a small one in the cluster. It sort of looks silly, and makes me think less, bigger screens may not be a bad idea, like the Tesla Model S or something. 1 nice thing is that while the lower screen handles all sorts of climate and infotainment duties, most commonly-used controls are repeated in a nice, compact, physical cluster below.

Comfort is a big, big deal to Acura right now. They're using, for the 1st time in a car, real acoustic glass for the side windows, they have the biggest interior cabin room in the segment, and I heard a rumor that if you lick the headliner it tastes like butterscotch.

1 weird thing about the interior I can't really explain is this funny little trapdoor to view the frame number. It's even labeled "FRAME NUMBER." Is easy frame number access a big selling point in this segment? It looks pretty handy to stash just a little bit of drugs or a couple vials of illegal tiger urine as well.

There's also a very high-end sound system sourced by Krell, whom I should have heard of if I knew anything about high-end audio, which I don't. At least that's what Acura VP Jeff Conrad said, but I'm not so sure if I trust him because he kept pronouncing "concierge" with a strange "shhh" sound in the middle that was really grating.

All told, the RLX seems like a lot of impressive technology in a clean but anonymous package. However, if your car-buying criteria demands over a dozen headlights, lots of interior room, and rapid, no-fuss frame number access, boy are you in luck.

Last edited by TSX69; 11-29-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,807 Likes on 3,727 Posts
I heard a rumor that if you lick the headliner it tastes like butterscotch.

Best in class frame number access!

However, if your car-buying criteria demands over a dozen headlights, lots of interior room, and rapid, no-fuss frame number access, boy are you in luck.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Jewel Eyes

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I lol'ed

http://jalopnik.com/5964081/the-acur...-its-dashboard

Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
I blame the bean counters. One less part to source/quality check/assemble. One less part to buy/stock/manage at the parts warehouse/dealer. One less part to fail, one less part for the warranty to cover. Engineers don't have to design for exhaust tip bumper cover clearance or dual/single exhaust cutouts.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
"P-AWS"? Seriously?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Acura just unveiled their new flagship sedan, the RLX, and there's 2 things you'll notice right away: it's kind of boring looking, but, damn, does it have a lot of headlights. Like 8 per side. Sure, they're small LED units and not the colossal sealed-beams of yore, but still, it's some pretty aggressive face-jewelry for what is otherwise a fairly elegant if restrained car. It sort of like if Helen Mirren smiled to reveal a massive, diamond-studded grille.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
maybe it's just me...but i would love to see a longer wheelbase version with more amenities for rear passengers (trays, TVs, footrest, fridge, etc). same powertrain but would compete size wise with A8L, S-class, 750Li.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
maybe it's just me...but i would love to see a longer wheelbase version with more amenities for rear passengers (trays, TVs, footrest, fridge, etc). same powertrain but would compete size wise with A8L, S-class, 750Li.
And with a 7-series price tag to boot? It would never sell. Acura is not in that market and probably never will be. And with no V8 option it will die the same slow death the CL did.

Look at the Equus. Similar amenities described above but it's a very very low volume car and caters to a very small market (rich people who are stingy with their money and have no desire to flash it with the car they drive). Do those people really exist?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
And this is where Acura fails...once again.

Put all this stuff in a exterior design, that looks similar to one of your lower end products.......WHY?

Why cut yourself off at the knees right out of the gate, Honda?

The first thing that catches the buyer's eye for any car is what it looks like on the outside....and Honda is trying to sell the buyer's of $50k automobiles an Accord?!?!?

At $50k, the buyer wants presence and prestige......from the outside first, then work towards the inside.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

The 1st gen RL/3rd gen Legend had a few of those features available (including reclining rear seats) in the Asian markets. It didn't sell.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
I think your definition of flagship is misunderstood. Each brand has their own unique and individual flagship. For Acura, it's the RLX, for BMW, it's the 7-series. Just because two different brands have a flagship, their products don't necessarily have to align with one another. The RLX is the flagship of the Acura brand, and it's as true of a flagship for the brand than anything else it has. I think what you might actually be referring to is that the RLX is not a true F-segment car, which it isn't, and never were we made to believe it was.
I think Acura's definition of a flagship is misunderstood

Audi = A8
BMW = 7 Series
Cadillac (not on price, but size wise) = XTS
Hyundai (not even a tier 2 luxury marque) = Equus
Jaguar = XJ
Lexus = LS
MB = S-Class

200 inches in length or more. Infiniti doesn't have a true flagship in the states either.
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Remember that the RLX is the flagship sedan for a Tier-2 luxury brand - Acura.

Therefore, don't expect it to be comparable with those flagship sedans from the Tier-1 true-luxury auto makers.
Like I said my expectations are different. I guess.
The following users liked this post:
jnc2000 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Oh like a real luxury flagship
The following users liked this post:
jnc2000 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Weight reduction

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/co...eles-auto-show

Extensive use of lightweight materials includes the application of high-strength steel to 55 percent of the body, and the intensive use of aluminum—for the front fenders, hood, steering hangar beam, front and rear bumper beams, front subframe, and front and rear door outer panels (mated to steel inner panels). The RLX weighs in at 3,933 pounds. Static bending and torsional body rigidity are up 52 percent and 46 percent, respectively.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...s-new-rlx.html

Pretty impressive Honda/Acura dropped the weight 275lb from the previous RL. Although it looks good on paper and the styling is right for the market (it's bland but has anyone see a current 5 or 7 series lately?).

The big issues I foresee are a FWD/transverse platform (with the the hybrid electric motors) and the prestige factor. The MDX was able to overcome that with the SHAWD drivetrain, remains to be seen how the RLX will do.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-29-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I am more impressed by fuel economic 20/31. I am sure it is going to beat all its competitors in real driving. This 31mpg at 80+ mph is achievable.
There is no mention of irritating stop start technology.
You get 19inch rims in all trim except base.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/28/2...a-rlx-la-2012/
The RLX's sleek upper body and numerous other aerodynamic features result in aerodynamic efficiency to best-in-class levels.
Seven spoke 18x8J aluminum-alloy wheels and 245/45 R18 all-weather tires are standard, while Technology, Krell and Advance grades feature 19x8J wheels and 245/40 R19 tires. The RLX's alloy wheels also feature a noise-reducing design that lowers tire noise by 7 decibels across the audible frequency range. Additional exterior features available on the RLX include an acoustic glass windshield and door glass, integrated power rear sunshade, front and rear parking sensors, heated and auto-dimming side mirrors, and rain-sensing windshield wiper

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News