Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ktown378
doesn't really need that much, especially n/a. it's a light car, full aluminum body. an nsx now with f/i with approx. 450-500hp runs mid 11's. i think it's great, better than keeping the original 290hp. it's about time.
thats because its illegal to push over 280bhp in Japan for a production car
Old 01-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by 97-3-pt-OH-C-el
thats because its illegal to push over 280bhp in Japan for a production car

It is NOT illegal. It's just a "gentlemen's rul" between Japanese companies for the Japanese market.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Attention NSX Fans

AutoWeek is reporting..........

Quashing a rumor
Attention, NSX fans: Despite what many have heard, you won’t have to rush out and stock up on the remaining inventory before the next model bows. Suggestions that Acura’s next-generation supercar will have a hybrid powertrain are unfounded. Hybrid systems—even those tuned for performance—still can’t provide the kind of constant acceleration most sports car drivers crave. And hybrid systems continue to pose a weight problem. Acura’s sports car will remain gas-powered only. Expect something like a 3.5-liter V6 with 300-plus horses, sequential shifting, six-pot Brembos and other performance goodies.
Wheather this has any basis in fact but they must get their information from somewhere.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Autoweek hasn't always been the best source of insider information. They usually are a tad bit behind the other mags. I have already even had knowledge of the fact that the new NSX will not have an IMA in it. Supposedly there is going to be some link between the engine that is going to be in the RL to that will be dropped in the NSX. Nothing confirmed yet though. I'm definately curious. Especially since they are going to be showing the new RL in April for the first time officially.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Certified Lurker

NSX WONT get hybrid

from autoweek....

Quashing a rumor
Attention, NSX fans: Despite what many have heard, you won’t have to rush out and stock up on the remaining inventory before the next model bows. Suggestions that Acura’s next-generation supercar will have a hybrid powertrain are unfounded. Hybrid systems—even those tuned for performance—still can’t provide the kind of constant acceleration most sports car drivers crave. And hybrid systems continue to pose a weight problem. Acura’s sports car will remain gas-powered only. Expect something like a 3.5-liter V6 with 300-plus horses, sequential shifting, six-pot Brembos and other performance goodies
Old 02-03-2004, 03:29 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
It is NOT illegal. It's just a "gentlemen's rul" between Japanese companies for the Japanese market.
and that rule has been defunct for a good bit now.......
Old 02-04-2004, 02:08 AM
4dr & I like it that way

I think the only people that would truly know if IMA is ready for performance applications is Honda themselves. They're usually pretty good at keeping secrets. Insiders on this board aside of course

I've always wondered how they would handle gearing on the IMA motor. Would the rear wheels have an entirely different transmission, or would the electric motors always supply power at a set ratio. You would think they would need a couple gears for performance applications, but then I'm fairly certain the civic hybrid doesn't have 2 transmissions. Anyone know?
Old 02-04-2004, 05:15 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
As was said in a few other threads, the hybrid addition is mainly for improved milage not performance. In an NSX the weight of the car (and proportion thereof) is more important than the little bit that an IMA setup would give. It seems like in terms of HP, the NSX will still be in a league of its own, i.e. quite low. Most other cars in this league are above 400HP.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

Unhappy Is the NSX dead????

A member over at vwvortex is claiming that the NSX replacement, the HSC, has been cancelled due to the fact that Honda can't make the business case for it. Is this true??? Apparently the article is in the new Automobile magazine (July issue). Perhaps the Oracle has something to say on the matter. The article goes on to say that Acura is focusing it's attention on a luxury coupe instead. It's a sad day indeed if this is true.

Here's a link to the thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1427231&page=1
Old 06-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Not sure if that is true, but interesting indeed. I do think a luxury coupe would be a score though

And since I won't be able to afford an NSX any time soon ... I say
Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I suppose I can see the case for putting the NSX on hold temporarily, but at the same time, Honda really needs a halo car like the NSX to keep its enthusiasts inspired. Plus, a loss of the S2000 would be a total mistake. Amongst hardcore enthusiasts, that car is absolutely one of the best cars Honda has ever built and will continue to be an inspiration for many generations.

Personally, I want to own an NSX before I turn 30 (even if it is ten or more years old) because I have driven several versions of the NSX and absolutely love that car.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Since when do we get Honda news from VWVortex???
Old 06-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Not just us talking about it ...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142582
Old 06-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Safety Car

I find it a little hard to believe. Honda didn't need the Hsc concept to figure out whether a car like this was a sound business judgement, they already know with the experience from the nsx. I don't think they would have bothered with a refresh of the nsx if the car was dead, and I don't think they would have bothered building an HSC concept if it was dead.

AS far as the s2000 not being continued, that could simply be that it falls under the acura brand since it is a 30k+ car.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:34 PM

That would be sad but the NSX never caught on even with rave reviews. People have a hard time putting that much money into a Honda overseas and into an Acura here. Not sure why they gave up on the hybrid NSX, that would have given it an advantage.

WIth the baby Aston coming, the new 911, XK8, new 645, Maserati Coupe, C-6 Vette and with sedans just as fast as these cars, this market is pretty hellish at this point.
First Nissan pushed back the GT-R, now this? And with no Supra in sight, we will have to continue to look at European and American supercars
Old 06-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Safety Car

I really don't see the whole sales excuse, sure it doesn't sell a lot but the 911 doesn't either. The 11 versions of the 911 added together sold 83 units in april, the nsx sold 19 based off an old car and 1 version.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Well wasn't the Oracle talking about a new coupe that would rival a Porsche? I guess it makes sense to d/c the NSX...although it does sound fishy. I mean, it's not as if the NSX suddenly had a sales drop, they could've d/c'd it way back in the late 90s as sales were already plummeting at that point. And then to further come out with the HSC to build up momentum, then do a total 180 and say it won't be built...when was the last time we've seen a Honda concept, which everyone is sure would replace a current model, do that?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Instructor

this same exact situation happend to the Dodge Viper, they were getting cut cause it made no business sence... so what they did at the preformance division, was take every each executive on a full throttle ride around the track, that shut the critics up, and everyone understood why the car had to be kept alive...

Honda has to do the same thing, take those execs out of the board room, and into the real world, put them in the NSX-R and take them out for a spin on the suzuka test track
Old 06-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
This is got to be mis-information to keep sales of the current NSX going. The original rumor began with an unnamed "Honda insider". IMO an uncredited source is not a good source of information.

A Honda "insider" has suggested to me that the HSC concept uses stamped body panels. They did not appear to be hand made like a "one off" prototype. If they've already made the dies to produce this car, they are committed!

Further evidence is that the whole NSX/S2000 plant was relocated to a new plant (from Tochigi) and production resumed on the current 2004 models. Why move a plant AND restart production if you're planning to cancel the two cars you make at the facility!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:07 PM
bleh...

I hope the NSX doesn't go away, but Honda needs a V8 in it rather than a V6.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

Colin, you get an approving rep for that informative post!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Pinky all stinky

Everyone in this thread is getting awarded.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Colin gets points from me too!
Old 06-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Instructor

[info] Honda to Nix Next NSX

From Automobile Magazine (not online yet):

Just when it seemed that the Acura NSX, Japan's aluminum-bodied supercoupe, was at last to have its first full makeover, woed has reached us that Honda has had a change of heart and quietly has shelved all plans for the redesign. Translation: no new NSX.

Not surprisingly, this alarming news has been vehemently denied by Honda public relations. Our sources tell us, however, that after looking again at the design and the business case surrounding a new NSX, Honda has decided to pass, at least for now.

Behind the scenes at Honda R&D in Japan, it's been an open secret that Honda has been developing a successor to the fifteen-year-old NSX based on last year's Tokyo show HSC concept coupe. President Takeo Fukui told the automotive press that the program was ongoing and even set a debut date of 2005, which insiders privately admitted was too early; 2006 or 2007 was the more likely time for a second-generation NSX.

But with Honda reportedly having trouble getting the HSC design to gel, the crunch time came in April, when, at a top-level presentation, principal decision makers from Japan and the United States couldn't agree that the HSC-based coupe had the right stuff to succeed. Honda is turning its attention to a new luxury coupe instead.

Things move fast inside Honda. The HSC came together in only three months, and major programs can get changed in rapid order. Even so, the NSX always has been a special case. A high-performance icon and a car in which Honda has placed a lot of pride and emotion, the NSX has won plaudits and spooked Maranello but has never been a big commercial success. That and questions about how much money a successor would generate reportedly tipped the balance.

Remember, too, that the NSX was born in the '80s, when Honda was a smaller, feistier company. Today, it's much harder to make a case for a narrow-focus, expensive V-6 supercoupe when the likes of the Pilot, the Accord, the Odyssey, and the MDX are where the real action is. With a bigger, richer, and more diverse Honda fixated on robots, hybrids, fuel cells and jet aircraft, the game has changed since the NSX's heyday. And with factions inside American Honda pushing instead for a $40,000 Porsche Boxster rival, support for a new NSX was further diminished.

For enthusiasts, it's a worrisome sign. First the CRX disappeared and then the Prelude. There might not be another S2000, and now the NSX has effectively been read its last rites.

Honda will likely continue to produce and evolve the NSX in small numbers as long as there is demand. But for a wholly new edition to kick Ferrari's butt, the moment seems to have passed. Sadly.
I'm not sure if we can believe this news but we'll see...
Old 06-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Instructor

I think that Acura is affraid to sell $100,000 car that sells in such small volume...
Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Drifting

you can get a cheaper american car that will whoop up on the nsx... unless they get some kohones and put a badass v8 in dat ho.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

At that price it should have a V12 in it.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Maybe they're switching to one or two RWD platforms for all sports cars from now on and they need a couple more years to get there.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2 things got my attention from the above article:

1. "Honda is turning its attention to a new luxury coupe instead."
- - So does that mean we'll see the next generation Acura CL?

2. "And with factions inside American Honda pushing instead for a $40,000 Porsche Boxster rival"
- - So is that an S2000 substitute?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by gavriil
2 things got my attention from the above article:

1. "Honda is turning its attention to a new luxury coupe instead."
- - So does that mean we'll see the next generation Acura CL?

2. "And with factions inside American Honda pushing instead for a $40,000 Porsche Boxster rival"
- - So is that an S2000 substitute?

ugh....if there are factions asking for a honda equive boxster...WHY$$#%# Gimme 5mins a room with them.

What is the fucking business case for a boxster?@$ I don't buy that portion of the story at all.

Give me a coupe that's 33-34k FULLY LOADED. Priced right under the g35. SHAWD, Hybrid of some sort, CylinderShutOff......either 6mt and/or 6Speed clutchless based on the anatov transmission.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

On second thought, I do not believe this news. Honda/Acura need a halo car. Toyota needs one too and they're working on it. I mean these are the days of the Ford GT for God's sake... How can you nix the NSX?!?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by gavriil
On second thought, I do not believe this news. Honda/Acura need a halo car. Toyota needs one too and they're working on it. I mean these are the day of the Ford GT for God's sake... How can you nix the NSX?!?

True..... My only thoughts are honda's renewed focus on factory support of the F1 team. Perhaps that's diverting funds that were ear marked for the NSX?

Either way...........great move by Honda lol.........what has it done????? Everybody is talking about them lol.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

After reading some of the well thought responses from vtec.net, I believe it is disinformation.

Because if it were true, it would be a STUNNING blow to the company's passion as their hallmark vehicle represents the core of their japanese engineering team's very existence.
Not to mention a huge public relations setback for their marketing department in drumming out the HSC only to have it crashing down: all the words from Honda's Chiefs at the shows about where the sports concept is headed would mean nothing and their company vision would be shot.

I hope that's not the case because if it were, then HMC is in for some turmoil here.
Plus the s2k's rumors about ending production do not make sense with reports that a new factory production line was recently started. And why kill the s2k when it's also a proud achievement for the company, earning international engine of the year awards for five years straight in its category.

So what does this all mean? Disinformation to say the least. In order to preserve and prop up the current sales of the NSX '04 and S2k, so that potential buyers won't be waiting for the next installments, HMC decides to artificially paint a limited supply picture: "get em while they're hot, before they sell out soon." We'll see what demand dictates.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

easily there's a sport COUPE to be filled in each of the following segments:

35-40k range

60-70k range

85-95k range

Old 06-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

I don't belive this news either. Like Gav said, Acura really needs a halo car, especially in this market. If they kill the NSX, then all you'll have at the top is the new RL... which isn't enough. Since Acura continues to deny us a full fledged V8 RWD Flagship, they really need the NSX at the top of the lineup.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:16 AM
RODDYS

I think the styling is great and it looks like its worth 90k. Before it was awsome and I still want one but you paid for performance not for looks. Now they are doing it all looks and peformance. I just hate the wheels thats the only thing I didn't like about the concept
Old 06-07-2004, 11:27 AM
RODDYS

A word for the worried.
Honda is right for saying they want to do away with the NSX, its ran its time. A car thats been around for 11 years is an accomplishment in itself. Its dated with the exterior styling when you look at other cars in its price range or below. Take the Nissan 350Z look at how the Z car came out of retirement and look at the success its had. I think yes it is a bold move for Honda but a good one. The NSX is 90k and with that in mind lets just look at the style that it lacks for 90k. A 350Z nearly makes but a little less hp and more trq and granted may not handle as good or have the same suspension rating but the car can still hold its on against the NSX and for 40k less its a steal. I would like to think that upgrades in style, comfort, over all value would be looked at. Lets face it for 90k you could get a 500hp Ferrari. This is My Point
Old 06-07-2004, 12:46 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the NSX dead? Don't believe that for a second. It's far from dead. The NSX is not a profit center for Honda. It's more of a show case than anything else. The problem has been to try to adapt the NSX platform for more than one use...hence the rumors of a boxster beater in the form of an Acura roadster. That is still to be determine. State side the fight right now is for a new upscale coupe to replace the CL, while R/D in Japan is trying to get a roadster into production for Acura. We can't have both so we will see who wins this fight.

Some of this auto mags and car forums get their "insider info" from sites such as this. The wonders of the world wide web.

The so called enhancements for the 05 RSXs are really not that major, more of a fine tuning or a stop gap so to speak for the current RSX. Blaze Orange RSX-S will be a sight for sore eyes.

The possible future coupe will be designed as an AWD from the get go.

All this recent rumors about coupes and NSXs...there are really no reasons to ask me what I think because alot of this stuff have been posted months ago. Do a check and you will see. And lastly I wonder how many so called honda insiders are actively browsing this site looking for tidbits of information to print in their various print forums.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Justin ... excellent scoop as always man

My vote -- screw the roadster and bring back an AWD (IMA?) CL !!!! I will buy one in 2008.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justinjsw
We can't have both so we will see who wins this fight.
Why can't we? It seems to be working for the 350Z coupe/roadster. I would personally buy a coupe first but a Boxster beater would improve Acura's image more.

Hey, why not a HT convertable roadster like the SLK? That way we can have both...just a though.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News