Old 10-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
"OMG!!! you will NOT guess what car I saw today!!!!!"

"what?!?!?!!?"

"friggin ENZO!!!!!"

oh ya... looks good

Exactly my thoughts. But hey, pissing off Ferrari was the whole point of the NSX to start with, no? So, here we go again!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
I guess.. damn they even did the gauge pods like the Enzo.... I mean... how obvious can you get.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:37 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah

Exactly my thoughts. But hey, pissing off Ferrari was the whole point of the NSX to start with, no? So, here we go again!
Back in 1991, Ferrari's 348's were like ... where did this (NSX) come And then again in 1997 for the 355's when the 3.2L NSX came out.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
Back in 1991, Ferrari's 348's were like ... where did this (NSX) come And then again in 1997 for the 355's when the 3.2L NSX came out.
I don't have the story but I recall reading that Enzo Ferrari was beyond livid when the NSX was first created and that it was able to out-perform his 348s...
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
If the corvette and the enzo ever got together and had a kid, this is what it would look like.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
oh yea I love the wide-body look of the rear fender flanks... reminds me of Testarossa...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
goldmemberererer

Seeing something ballsy out of the Honda designers is a refreshing sight... haven't seen anything good since the 3G TL. This looks promising as far as "balls" are concerned. Let's see the prototype. I bet the specs will be drool-worthy.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Should be an awesome ride when it comes out. However, I doubt lower end Ferrari buyers will migrate to it...as with the 1G NSX.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Hopefully Honda will come back with something a little more aggressive than the HSC concept.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:39 PM
101 years of heartache...

..and more original. the lights look different, but the grill shape is not played out, per say, but "overdone"? dont know how to put it.

screw it all, this thing is gonna "go like stank"
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

But, the important question really is, can I afford one?

Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

or is the important question is it overpriced compared to whats on the market in 2008?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Meh, I liked it better with the HSC front than the Enzo front.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

^ I'm sure non of that red pic is even remotely true.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ I hope not.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:02 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Found this on Prime... very interesting read...

source
==========================
I just picked up some Curry Chicken over steam rice at a local Japanese restaurant, and I found a magazine with a small insert with 14 pages of “Farewell NSX” article, and guess what? Some valuable information regarding the new NSX was part of the article, sourced from an interview with Mr. Uehera, the project leader of the out going NSX and S2000. He is also heading the Neo NSX Project, and he disclosed some of the concept and progress of the Neo NSX. First off, I'm a Chinese guy with some decent Japanese reading background; therefore, I did my best to interpret the article, and my English is not too hot either, so don't make fun of me. Imaging translate from Japanese to Chinese to English… ERRRRR.

Check this out:

Target Weight: 1200kg to 1300kg (2650lbs to 2866 lbs) depending on the "Type" variation.
Example in the article: Ferrari F430 is 1460kg (3219lb)

Concept Considered: HSC with a improved and enlarged C32B Block; a 3.6 liter V6 which produced between 350 to 400PS depend on the tuning of the engine: Final phase of the HSC accomplished 0-60 in 4 seconds and ¼ mile in 12 seconds, which slot the car into 360 Modena and Porsche Turbo Cabrio territory. It was also the cheapest route Honda could have taken because little re-tooling is required. HSC chassis was a heavily modified NSX Chassis. Mr. Uehera would have been happy with the performance result of the HSC - if it was going to be built two years ago, but it was a good thing that they didn't, because the result would have ended like the original NSX, which will not fare well with the current competitors, and a V6 will not be welcome by the “press.” The introduction of the F430 proved his point. “The boss scrapped the HSC because he wanted more! Because it wasn't “stunning enough. The Original NSX was intended to compete with Porsche 911, Ferrari 328/348. However, after 15 years, 911 have surpassed the NSX in many areas, and Ferrari F430 is truly ahead of the NSX in almost every way; therefore, it's time to reset the standard.”

Target Power from two Prototype Engines:
Small V10: “Around” 3.5L over 400PS approaching 10,000RPM. This engine was considered during the first phase of development, but not a desired size, and could pose major reliability issues. However, if the target weight is not met, a reconsideration of reviving this size is a possibility, if additional power can be obtain without sacrificing reliability.
Large V10: “Around” 5.0L Approaching 500PS, this is a more likely choice - Requested by the current CEO.
Honda will have it as the “lightest” in its class with best power to weight ratio - As before.

Issues faced: It is rather easy to squeeze over 100hp/liter plus on 4 or 6 cylinder Engines; however, it is rather difficult to accomplish the same task on a large displacement, let's say, a 5 Liter engine. The problem is, a traditional V10 have series of vibration problems; therefore, to solve those problems and achieve “over” 100hp/liter (at the same time) will be a major challenge (That is why Ferrari stick with V8 and V12, and Gallardo's V10 will probably not last more than 60k miles without any major overhaul, and same can be said about BMW's M5/6's V10). "There were V10 prototypes built during the early 90's, when Honda was offered a deal to supply their detune but enlarged F1 Engine for the McLaren F1 road car project; however, the idea was deleted by the bearcats within the company, because they didn't understand the magnitude of that project. They were pushing to end the F1 Engine Program and to cut ties with McLaren International; therefore, the idea to supply Engine to McLaren never solidified. Imagine if the McLaren F1 had a Honda Engine...."

N/A Porsche 911 is no longer a targeted competitor, because the auto press has always prejudiced the V6 in the NSX, but somehow never bash 911's flat 6! F430 and Gallardo will be the main target, and perhaps those higher models such as Porsche GT and McLaren MB SLR Vision, because if you think about it, the performance between the F430 and SLR Vision is not too far apart, other than the top speed. “In order to compete with these cars, the HP rating will have to be over 500, and we have enough times to work out the bugs on the V10.” By the time the Neo NSX is ready for production, 500ps will be common between most of the manufactures.

Aerodynamically, the car needs to be able to sustain 200 miles per hour. Toyota is working on a 200mph car; therefore… The design of an ideal aerodynamic shape will take great amount of time; plenty of testing is required in order to meet that speed with great stability and safety. The approach of obtaining that speed will be genuine.

Uehera jokingly mentioned, “If the next generation NSX should last another 15 years production cycle. The car has to be a technological wonder; however, still allows major upgrades in order to compete with the future replacement of F430 and Gallardo.”

During the design process of the original NSX, exotics such as 328/348 and 911 all had “3 liter class” engines, because it was the standard in an Exotic (small block with high PS rating); however, the approach has changed through time. The only way to get more PS is to build bigger engines. Ferrari for example, redesigned the entire chassis on the 308/328 replacements to allowed bigger engines to be fitted. From 348 and on, the reversal of trunk and radiator location was the evident of this new approach. This method also shifted the weight distribution more to the rear. Unfortunately, the NSX was originally designed to meet the “3 liter class as well as the gentleman's rule of 280ps for the domestic market; also under the consideration was the domestic market taxation on engine size greater than 3.0 liter, which was much higher; those rules set gave the design team the base blueprint for the NA1 NSX.” It was a conservative move but left no room for expansion. However, the original package was ideal in a sense of performance during that time period, and the method of Carbon Reinforced Metal liner allowed us to temporary step up in the HP game. We had to hear complaints from JDM customers because the American model got 10 more PS on paper. “We all know Skyline GTR and NSX-R had more - way more, but we can't disclose it! There is only so much we can do to a production 3.2-liter engine. However, after the release of the new Honda Legend (aka Acura RL) - We broke the gentleman's rule, and the NSX will be our next offender.”

Again jokingly, “Ferrari lured most of our F1 Engineers to design engines for their F1 and road cars - After our (Honda) withdraw from F1 in 1992. Mr. Gato (Head of Honda V10 and V12 F1 Engine Program between 1988 to 1992) used to often called me from the Ferrari factory (where he was working) and telling me they really should slap a big H on the Ferrari's Engine Block and Ferrari F1 cars were powered by Honda.”

Since a “Large” V10 is the desired power plant, in order to offset the weight of the engine, construction Materials such as Aluminum and CF is a must - If the desire target weight is going to be met; the use of titanium is under consideration. It will help to meet the promised word of “break through.” However, the cost of manufacturing of titanium will be a major issue, because it is extremely difficult to work with. Even though the cost is not quite an issue, we will make a logical decision. “Same thing happen when we wanted an all aluminum chassis, and the cost of the manufacturing was enormous, but we did it anyway. We are considering how to implement titanium parts other than just the connecting rod.”

As for the SH-AWD, it is under consideration, but most likely be scrap due to the weight gain, and Mr. Uehera favors MR platform only - But may offer SH-AWD as an option if the market desires it.

Honda would like to win the F1 title before the premier of the new NSX, that is why the target release date is set “3 to 4” years from now. By then, Honda will have enough information on how to deal with the next generation of Italian Exotics. Last word from Uehera “When the CEO jokingly mentioned the V10 NSX will be faster than the new V8 F1 cars, he probably wasn't far off!).

As for the cost for the car - Honda will strategically place the car in the proper tier, just like the original NSX, little higher than standard 911, but lower than a Ferrari. Here is my interpretation from reading the article, a Ferrari F430 and Gallardo beater at Porsche Turbo price. After all, Honda does hope to sell more “New” NSX than the out going model - at a shorter time frame. However, they cannot predict the future, so we'll have to wait and see if the world economy can support this car, or any other car in this price tier…. The original approach of 25 cars a day and 6000 per year will not be part of the plan, because the goal wasn't realistic. After all, the purpose for the existence of NSX is not to make money, but to showcase what Honda can do. NSX is matter of company Pride - R&D cost will eventually filter down to other production cars.

Hint: The original contracts were signed with numerous parts suppliers to built 4 years worth of NSX @ 6000 cars per year, which was probably the reason why it took them 15 years to use up those contracted parts; after all, the fixed cost was paid before the car started production. The Honda NSX was way ahead of its time, that is why it is still a world class car, after 15 years of production.

===========================================
Old 11-02-2005, 07:34 PM
To punish and enslave

Ferrari F1 powered by Honda?! I knew they're that good.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
Ferrari F1 powered by Honda?! I knew they're that good.

The Macca engines Honda supplied were incredible, but when the engineers moved to Ferrari and worked in the N/A field Ferrari's engines were not so hot (understatement) it wasn't until they were replaced that Ferrari's engines returned to being "the best".

BAR/Honda took a big step backwards this year (really just Toyo, Macca and Renault moving up) now it is all Honda's ballgame, let us hope they do better than their last foray into F1 as a manufacturer!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:49 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Good read, thanks NSX-Tuner for bringing this up.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

"3 to 4 years from now" - wonderful.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:01 PM

still a long time away, but this thing is going to rock when it comes out.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM

In the mean time, if Honda wants this thing to be a hit, they better put Acura into a higher stage of class. People like us, who crave reliable, powerful, great handling cars do not have $150,000 to spend on a supercar. Older, more "prestige-crazy" people, do. What would they rather have, a Ferrari made in Pinafirina (sp), or a car made by the folks who bring you the Honda Fit, rebadged with an A. I honestly wish the market was not like this because I know Honda's guys are going to work their asses off on this thing, but the truth is the truth. Same goes for Nissan and their GT-R; Infiniti is not THAT good yet, so they better bring it up if they want to sell a good sports car.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
In the mean time, if Honda wants this thing to be a hit, they better put Acura into a higher stage of class. People like us, who crave reliable, powerful, great handling cars do not have $150,000 to spend on a supercar. Older, more "prestige-crazy" people, do. What would they rather have, a Ferrari made in Pinafirina (sp), or a car made by the folks who bring you the Honda Fit, rebadged with an A. I honestly wish the market was not like this because I know Honda's guys are going to work their asses off on this thing, but the truth is the truth. Same goes for Nissan and their GT-R; Infiniti is not THAT good yet, so they better bring it up if they want to sell a good sports car.

but, infiniti is better than acura and lexus right now in the sports category....which means, ppl who r lookin for a jap sports car will go towards infiniti.....and since nissan only plans to send over 1000 GTRs (or was it 2k?, dont remember) to the U.S., i'm sure they'll get sold easily
Old 11-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Ooh...light weight, high horsepower, MR layout, and a true exotic!

This new NSX has some serious potential! I can't wait to see this thing. And hopefully by then, I will be able to afford to get one for myself.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:34 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower

but, infiniti is better than acura and lexus right now in the sports category....which means, ppl who r lookin for a jap sports car will go towards infiniti.....and since nissan only plans to send over 1000 GTRs (or was it 2k?, dont remember) to the U.S., i'm sure they'll get sold easily
That's exactly why Acura is in serious need of the NSX to boost its sports image. The flagship RL is nothing to be cheered on. Everything is in the right place for the RL, all it needs is a V8 engine. Then it will win the hearts of lots of sport luxury car buyers.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm a llama :(

If Acura can sell a $90k + car in 1990 along side the waaaay cheaper Legend and Integra, then I think they can sell this one no problem. Acura has a really good image right now. Infiniti is just building theirs. Lexus is percieved as an old mans car and they're in the process of changing that.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Motohip
If Acura can sell a $90k + car in 1990..

I think it was around $65k in 1991.

Last edited by 330R; 11-08-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 330R
I think it was around $65k in 1991.
Really? When did it go up?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Motohip
Really? When did it go up?
It kept going up until around 1997 I believe
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
It kept going up until around 1997 I believe
Ohhhhhh
Old 01-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Acura NSX replacement not likely before 2009
Automotive News / January 10, 2006 - 1:30 pm

Don't expect the replacement for the Acura NSX sports car before 2009.

Last July, Honda Motor Co. said the next-generation NSX would arrive in "three or four years" with a V-10 engine.

Honda plans to introduce the Acura brand in Japan in the autumn of 2008. But the new NSX won't be part of the lineup for that brand launch, says Motoatsu Shiraishi, president of Honda R&D Co.

Says Shiraishi: "We don't think the NSX will be ready in time."

Source: Autonews
Old 01-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Source: www.autoweek.nl
Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
It seems as if they are going to keep the NSX name since they don't not call it the "NSX replacement" but rather the next generation NSX.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
With it being such a legendary flagship car, it's best they take the time to get it right. I just hope the competition doesn't sail by in the mean time.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gavriil
Hawt!

AWD too, right?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 PM
To punish and enslave

Honda is going for the "get it right, the first time.....even if it takes more time" thing.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
....need....more....pics!!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
Honda is going for the "get it right, the first time.....even if it takes more time" thing.
I can be patient. I've said it before. Once Honda states the release of the next-generation NSX, I'm buying one. I'll probably have the first one in Texas if things go accordingly.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News