Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ediddy

I agree with nsx tuner about having a refined nsx versus a 700hp corvette.
And here the objective items start to creep up.

What makes you think that the Vette is less refined than the NSX? Can you elaborate on that and bring some examples?

Corvettes are massed produced and I don't want something that everyone and their mama has.
Vettes may be mass produced today but how does that make them less refined than an NSX?

The second item above is part of the subjective factors. If to you, driving a car that not many are driving, is important, then good for you. No one can argue with you about.

By the way nsx-tuner there are 700hp nsxes out there and streetable. You can ask the owner of AEM he has a red nsx turbocharged running on alcohol putting out the 700hp.
My point was that if one can modify an NSX to make XYZ power, one can modify a C6 Z06 to makre XYZ+ power. The LS7 has a lot more potential than the engine in the NSX. No doubt about that.

Put it this way guys if you ever have rode or driven in a 400hp car you will know that, that is plenty of horsepower for a everyday driver. Well thats just my 2 cents to add.
Again back to the subjective items. Power is objective. How much power is enough, is totally subjective. Plus it was not part of the initial point here.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by biker
Considering how much money Honda lost/is losing on the NSX it is certainly not over-priced. It costs Honda that much to make them.

Just because Honda cannot lower the cost of the NSX and it sells at cost or lower, it does not mean that the car is not expensive for what you get (based on the objective items).

THe market defines what's expensive and what not. And the market for years now has been saying, "this car, I dont want, for this price". Otherwise they'd be buying it.

Originally Posted by biker

Like the 5 series, there's a lot of costs in the car one does not see - the trick is that in today's world of HP and 0-60 times obsesed society, "hand-made" and "alu chassis" just doesn't sell.
I disagree. It does sell, only not in mass quantity. The LS7, Caddy STSV engine and the AMG engines are hand-made, but they sell in limited qunatities (compared to the numbers of the rest of the engines in the same cars). They sell a lot more than the NSX though.

I am not trying to bash the NSX. It's one of the greates cars ever built, no doubt. But it was pretty much always more expensive than it deserved IMO. People that bought it based most of the reasons they did on completely subjective factors. We read some of them above with the NSX owners that posted here.

Nothing wrong with it at all. But no one can argue the objective parts of the equation. That, is my main point.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm a llama :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm guessing that it's still going to be called the NSX?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:26 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Motohip
So I'm guessing that it's still going to be called the NSX?
It's anyone's guess right now... There's a big debate going on over at NSXPrime...
Old 07-13-2005, 12:31 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by gavriil
Why do you assume the Z06 will not be refined with 700HP?

When the NSX came out, there was no comparison with the Corvettes of the day when it came to refinement. THese days have come and gone though.

Like YBA and ediddy stated earlier, there's something special about the NSX and unless you've owned one, you'll never get it. Considering how the car is built, drives and lasts, the price isn't too high.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
I'd much rather have a refined car like an NSX with 370 WHP than a 700HP Z06. But I've never liked vettes to begin with.
Maybe if you like slow cars. NSX's have never impressed me with their performance statistics, but back in the day they were impessive luxury wise.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by Maximized
Maybe if you like slow cars. NSX's have never impressed me with their performance statistics, but back in the day they were impessive luxury wise.
You can swap out the seats of a car and add a navigation system. You can supercharge it and add headers. You can install sway bars and coilovers.

You can't do much to the chasis. You can't turn heads with anything of which thousands are sold every year. You can't change the way you feel when you're behind that wheel.

If you're spending anything over $35k on a car, it's to get the feeling that you want. The NSX gives that feeling to 90% of its owners for a reason. Ditto to its little brother, the S2000. Drive 'em if you want to understand; it's not something I can post on a BBS.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
boosted is best

Stock 3.2L NSX's have done mid 13s 1/4 miles regularly. I don't exactly call that slow. But it's not built for the drag strip. On a road course, it's very competive.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
You can swap out the seats of a car and add a navigation system. You can supercharge it and add headers. You can install sway bars and coilovers.

You can't do much to the chasis. You can't turn heads with anything of which thousands are sold every year. You can't change the way you feel when you're behind that wheel.

If you're spending anything over $35k on a car, it's to get the feeling that you want. The NSX gives that feeling to 90% of its owners for a reason. Ditto to its little brother, the S2000. Drive 'em if you want to understand; it's not something I can post on a BBS.

I have only ridin in an NSX and drove an S2K. If I am buying a sports car, I want numbers. Otherwise, I would be another one of those poseurs that drives the car because it's cool. Both cars aren't impressive performance wise compared to what else is available. If I was to want luxury items such as Navi or heated seats I would buy a luxury car.

As for turning heads, that's not measurable. Everytime I drive my car someone is staring at it or if I have my windows down someone makes a comment about it. Ford is going to sell 180,000+ Mustangs this year.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Stock 3.2L NSX's have done mid 13s 1/4 miles regularly. I don't exactly call that slow. But it's not built for the drag strip. On a road course, it's very competive.
My Mustang does mid 13s stock for 25K; mid 13s in a 70K+ car doesn't impress me. Competitve to what on road courses? Correct me if I am wrong, but a 50K C6 Z51 will mop up a NSX on the track. The NSX is an outdated car that honestly cannot competer performance wise to todays modern sports cars.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:32 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Did I mention I own one of each?

By the way, here in Montreal, NSX turn more heads than porsches and vettes together. There are Porsches and vettes on every street corner.

A friend of mine got a 911 last summer. He was all happy to show it off until his neighbor got a GT3 and a SL55 for his wife... For me, the only way I'm gonna be envy my neighbor is if he shows up with a F430 or a Vanquish or a Murcielago or an Elise.

By the way, for best performance for the buck people should look into bikes, not into cars.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
gocubsgo55]they have Ridgeline mules out there running test V8s. Honda Indy uses V8s. The Mugen M1 uses a monsterous 600 HP V8. If you add to Honda I4s you get a V8 .

Seriously though, they've gotten pretty serious with it. The RL could really use one and the Ridgeline needs one to survive its market. Hell, even the RL just might be in that situation. Remember when Justin said the Honda V8 would be shared by 3+ cars? (was it 3-4 or 4-5?) It's gonna finally show up. Just remember, Honda didn't produce its own V6 until the NSX showed up.[/
Wait a second: I had a '88 Acura Legend, and every time I checked under the hood, I saw a V6 engine. Now you have me wondering if Honda was the one who really built that engine.

Last edited by vybzkartel; 07-13-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

As for turning heads, that's not measurable. Everytime I drive my car someone is staring at it or if I have my windows down someone makes a comment about it. Ford is going to sell 180,000+ Mustangs this year.
of course, it's a brand new car
bottom line, it's still a ford
Old 07-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Now you have me wondering if Honda was the one who really built that engine.
of course they didn't, that's why it said honda motor co. on the engine.
/sarcasm
people always forget that the legend was the first honda with a v6.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
Your point is? The Mustang is arguably the most recognized brand currently out. The car looks good, it will turn heads 20 years from now just like the 60's fastbacks. The same goes for the NSX, it's just a Honda.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
boosted is best

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily = Found On Road Dead

Old 07-13-2005, 06:00 PM

of course they didn't, that's why it said honda motor co. on the engine.
/sarcasm
people always forget that the legend was the first honda with a v6.
I don't think that engine was made by Honda.

Your point is? The Mustang is arguably the most recognized brand currently out. The car looks good, it will turn heads 20 years from now just like the 60's fastbacks. The same goes for the NSX, it's just a Honda.
The Mustang isn't it's own brand. I doubt the current one will be what the original one is now.

And the comment about the NSX being just a Honda...that's not a bad thing.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:10 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

The original Legend v6 was made by honda. It is the same C block (C27)that went onto infamy in the 2nd Gen Legend (C32), NSX (C30) and First gen 3.2 TL.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Motohip
The Mustang isn't it's own brand. I doubt the current one will be what the original one is now.

And the comment about the NSX being just a Honda...that's not a bad thing.
Ford Marketing would disagree with you on it being a brand. The future will tell if the 05 will reach collector car status.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Ford Marketing would disagree with you on it being a brand. The future will tell if the 05 will reach collector car status.
Ford marketing...that says it right there. They get paid to make you think foolish things.

And I take that back my earlier comment about the Mustang not being what the original one is now. All of the Mustangs were "affordable" cars, so maybe this one will be a classic as well.

Last edited by Motohip; 07-13-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Wasn't this thread supposed to be about the NSX successor? Can we stay on topic please?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I've seen the NSX-R recently take on other cars in the Motegi Battle...

The following cars participated:

Murcielago, Gallardo, NSX-R, 911 Turbo, 360 Modena, and a M3 CSL

The NSX-R came in 3rd and was in 1st place for well over half the race
Old 07-14-2005, 05:24 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I've seen the NSX-R recently take on other cars in the Motegi Battle...

The following cars participated:

Murcielago, Gallardo, NSX-R, 911 Turbo, 360 Modena, and a M3 CSL

The NSX-R came in 3rd and was in 1st place for well over half the race
I doubt the Mustang guys ever heard anything about NSX-R...

The R just show you what Honda can do with a very little effort.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Racer

The NSX for all intents and purposes was perfect. And it showed with strong sales its first two years. But the ENTIRE sports car market went to shit until the internet stock craze happened. At that time, the new 911 emereged, Ferrari woke the hell up, BMW, Benz, Lexus had better lineups than ever etc etc.

The bottom line is, overseas, people don't want to pay $90,000 for a "Honda" and in America, people don't want to pay $90,000 for an "Acura". Period. They would rather stick to established marques and more prestigous brands.

As for the car being old, the 911 was basically the same car updated for 30 years!!! The Lotus Elise is the same way!! Thing is 911 and PORSCHE are ICONIC. The 993 was the best selling Porsche ever, it sold so well, dealers wanted the 996 pushed back. Now look, we already have a 997.

in TODAY'S market, you cannot go 10 years without a re-design. Look at the Jag XK8, still beautiful but selling very slow. Its too old today.

People have an issue paying $50k for a RL. Do you think they want to pay almost double that for the same brand car?

In EUROPE, people understand you don't need 900hp to be a great car. The NSX-R was chosen as Sports Car of the Year 3 years ago. Thing is people in Europe are more brand obssesed than us, so sales for a 90k Honda= No no. Even with just 290hp, the NSX is so damn perfectly balanced.

But for those with money and most want to KNOW they have 400-500hp, even if they don't use it.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Like YBA and ediddy stated earlier, there's something special about the NSX and unless you've owned one, you'll never get it. Considering how the car is built, drives and lasts, the price isn't too high.
Irrelevant the above is.

One does not have to own a car to get a good idea about levels of refinement. When mags test cars and talk about refinement and myriads of other items about the car, they dont own the car for years. A test by someone who understands cars well is enough to give you an idea about the car's levels of refinement and numerous other characteristics about the car.

Can you give me an example or two that prove why your NSX is more refined than a Z06 or even a C6?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

That I disagree with. THe NSX was never slow. It has been slow for its price during the past 5 years, yes. But not slow. It's in the high 4s for the 60.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

But what does that have to do with objective matters? Max is talking about performance above, with which I disagree but that's a different story. Performance is 100% objective. It's measured in numbers. Feel is subjective and no one can argue with that.

Refinement is also objective mostly. It could be subjective only if someone puts different priorities within the definition of the term refinement.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

My Mustang does mid 13s stock for 25K; mid 13s in a 70K+ car doesn't impress me. Competitve to what on road courses? Correct me if I am wrong, but a 50K C6 Z51 will mop up a NSX on the track. The NSX is an outdated car that honestly cannot competer performance wise to todays modern sports cars.
NSX will cost more than 70+K.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by jwong77
Wasn't this thread supposed to be about the NSX successor? Can we stay on topic please?

Thank you.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:26 PM
boosted is best

Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

That I disagree with. THe NSX was never slow. It has been slow for its price during the past 5 years, yes. But not slow. It's in the high 4s for the 60.
No it's not "slow", but it isn't fast for the money. My 25K Mustang GT is right there in acceleration with the NSX, which is pretty sad IMO. The car IMO right now as it stands is way underpowered and outdated.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
boosted is best

Some things to ponder and/or debate and help get us back on track...

1) When will this "ultra high-performance vehicle" from Acura/Honda become available? 2007, 2008, 2009...?
2) Was the HSC used as part of the development platform?
3) How many cylinders? 6, 8, 10, 12?
4) Displacement: 3.5L, 4.0L, 5.0L, 6.0L?
5) How much?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having owned one for several years I can attest to the fact that it is the best car I have owned. It was the 270hp model with I/H/E. Just before I sold it I raced an M5 (400hp model) which I slowly pulled away from 75-140mph. The NSX does not put down insane #'s, but its chassis, gearing and aerodynamics were designed so that the 270hp was like having 350hp in another car.... it was a perfect car (except in the rain)!!

It turned heads more than a Porsche and nearly as much as a Ferrari/Lamborghini. It was as reliable as an Accord and was just as easy to drive. For an exotic-type car long-distance driving was so pleasant... never tiring! I one had the misfortune of driving back from Vegas when the 4hr trip took 13hrs due to traffic. It was in my NSX and I would have killed someone if I was in my CL!

For the successor - which I will buy one!! I would like:

* Sub-$100K price
* 410hp or higher (3.5 V6 or a small V8)
* 3100lbs or lower
* Looks just as good as the HSC

I'll probably drive the car around for a year or so and then mod it to 600hp - NOTHING will touch it.... NOTHING!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
boosted is best

Aerodynamics improvements were made in '02 for the NSX where some tests were seeing a top speed of 180MPH. I would imagine that Honda's new 'ultra performance super car' might be capable of exceeding the 200MPH mark, by how much we'll have to wait and see.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
goldmemberererer

Some things to ponder and/or debate and help get us back on track...

1) When will this "ultra high-performance vehicle" from Acura/Honda become available? 2007, 2008, 2009...?
2) Was the HSC used as part of the development platform?
3) How many cylinders? 6, 8, 10, 12?
4) Displacement: 3.5L, 4.0L, 5.0L, 6.0L?
5) How much?
A 4.0-5.0L 8 or 10 cyl. MY '08 sounds likely. I think Honda will be smart with this one... probably price it around 70-80k. I'm guessing they're boasting with that "ultra super dooper high performance" crap. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see Honda turning a profit off a 100k+ car.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Brand snobbery

Lets not forget Lamborghini got his start making tractors.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:22 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Brand snobbery

Lets not forget Lamborghini got his start making tractors.
Wish it weren't the case, but the market puts emphasis on brand before many more important issues. Why else does MB sell so many non AMG vehicles?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: E-zine
Old 07-14-2005, 05:03 PM

So is IMA not going to make it into this car?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts

Source: E-zine
...Another photochop? It looks awful.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News